Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

af773atmsp
Topic Author

I Got My First Car!

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:59 am

Back in 2008 when my sister got her car I began my search for my own car, but it wasn't until this year when my parents finally decided I needed my own car. After six weeks of searching and test driving three cars I have bought a 2001 Volkswagen Passat with the 1.8L 4 cylinder engine! When I saw the car I immediately fell in love with it. And when I test drove it I fell more in love with it. Bought it for $2800 and drove it home and its an excellent ride!
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Fly2HMO

RE: I Got My First Car!

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:46 am

Quoting af773atmsp (Thread starter):
2001 Volkswagen Passat with the 1.8L 4 cylinder engine!

Nice. Welcome to the VW family.

Here's the number 1 forum for all your VW needs... http://vwvortex.com/

Really good stuff there.

Cadet57

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:24 am

Nice ride.

I hope the timing belt and water pump have been done recently, or you're handy as thats about a $900 job when you need one. Also, you HAVE to use synthetic oil in that motor, don't cheap out and use conventional. Also, spend the extra few cents per gallon and put in 91 or 93 octane. Don't use 87. Other than that, its a good motor in a great car. My 2003 Jetta with a 1.8 just rolled over to 124k and is running as good as ever.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Ken777

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Congrats!

I'm of the belief that a person's first car should first be a safe design and, second, not an ego trip.

There is plenty of time to gets lot of experience driving.

Have fun!

sprout5199

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Congrats.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 3):
I'm of the belief that a person's first car should first be a safe design and, second, not an ego trip.

Thats why I got a 1972 Ford Maverick with the 200 six for my first car in 1982. But then again I couldnt afford something better. It was safe till the day I rolled it.   Then i drove it for another six months with a semi-caved in roof.

For Supefly: First thing I installed was a realistic 8-track tape deck.

Dan in Jupiter

Fly2HMO

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:57 am

I was gonna bring this up, but figured it was getting too nerdy... but since a fellow vdubber brought it up...   

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):

I hope the timing belt and water pump have been done recently, or you're handy as thats about a $900 job when you need one.

Yup. And to DIY it is really not that hard.

The best place for vdub parts is here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/

They sale tons of kits for preventive DIY maintenance.

Also, you HAVE to use synthetic oil in that motor, don't cheap out and use conventional.

Amen! I use Red Line 5W-40. Which meets VW specs. Damn good stuff. Engine runs real smooth.

Another really important thing, use only Pentosin Pentofrost G12++ anti-freeze. This is what they come with from the factory. The regular piss water sold at walmart and autozone will eat away the hoses and water pump impellers eventually. So if your coolant looks brown or green, flush it immediately! Or I guarantee you will have a water pump failure eventually. Fresh G12++ looks bright pink/violet/purple. They sell it in NAPA surprisingly, so it's easy to find.

More on that here:

http://www.blauparts.com/vw/vw_fluid...antifreeze_anti_freeze_fluid.shtml

Also, spend the extra few cents per gallon and put in 91 or 93 octane.

Agreed. And that should go for most any forced induction car. While the lower end VW engines (2-point slow and the 5 banger) will run on anything short of orange juice, the higher end engines are a bit more finicky. SeaFoam every several thousand miles goes a long way too.

It's not like your car will suddenly explode if you don't follow the above suggestions. I've driven probably over a million miles on several VW's, never had a serious problem. Then again, unlike 99% of the average joes out there, I follow the maintenance procedures religiously and stick to the OEM stuff as much as I can.

[Edited 2012-02-27 17:58:41]

Stabilator

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:02 am

Welcome to the VW family! My sister had a Jetta ('05 maybe?) and it saved my life (literally) when she was t-boned on the side I was sitting on. I currently drive an '09 Passat. The lease is up this Saturday, and you bet your money I'm getting another. I love everything about my current. Very safe choice. Enjoy your piece of German engineering! 
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

ACDC8

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:02 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 1):
Welcome to the VW family.
Quoting Stabilator (Reply 6):
Welcome to the VW family!

And a third "Welcome to the VW family"  

Did you get the sedan or wagon? I had a 1993 and 1998 Passat Wagon when I lived in Germany, both great cars and went well over 200000kms without any major problems. I also had a 2007 City Golf that had 125000kms when I traded it in and currently have a 2007 City Jetta with 87000kms.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 7):

It is a Passat sedan. Now has 138,500 miles.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Superfly

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Congrats to getting your first car!   
I remember when I got my first car, a 1974 Ford Pinto - in 1990!

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 4):
Thats why I got a 1972 Ford Maverick with the 200 six for my first car in 1982. But then again I couldnt afford something better. It was safe till the day I rolled it. Then i drove it for another six months with a semi-caved in roof.

Was it the the Luxury Decor Group?
Those Mavericks can take a beating and keep going. I knew a guy in high school that ran his Maverick in to a tree. The front end was pushed in more than a foot and the car kept running.

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 4):
For Supefly: First thing I installed was a realistic 8-track tape deck.

Smart move!  
You must have mounted it under the dash because the cavity for a stereo in the Maverick/Comet was too small for an 8track deck.
We're you inspired by this commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PMMGvmnCSE
Bring back the Concorde

sprout5199

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
Was it the the Luxury Decor Group?

Nope, it was the Crappy Bench Seat Group.  
Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
You must have mounted it under the dash because the cavity for a stereo in the Maverick/Comet was too small for an 8track deck.

Yep, mounted under the dash, didnt hook to the radio at all, had its own amp in it, with Vol, Treble, Bass, And Fader controls. Sounded great. Had a bunch of tapes that all seemed to hit me when I rolled it.

Bought it for $2800 and drove it home and its an excellent ride!

Chop a zero off and thats what i paid for my first car, like this but blue:
Big version: Width: 600 Height: 411 File size: 39kb

Dan in Jupiter

[Edited 2012-02-28 12:09:34]

Superfly

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 10):
Treble, Bass,

That was pretty sophisticated for an 8track player. Mines don't even have that.
My aunt won a Maverick on The Price Is Right back in 1976.
Her's was puke yellow with matching puke yellow vinyl seats.
Bring back the Concorde

Cadet57

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 5):
And to DIY it is really not that hard.

Nope. I'm just too busy (and slightly lazy) to do it myself. Then again, when I crapped a water pump at 81k the dealer replaced it all under warranty (suckers!). Wont have to do it again for another 40K

The best place for vdub parts is here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/

Another really important thing, use only Pentosin Pentofrost G12++ anti-freeze. This is what they come with from the factory. The regular piss water sold at walmart and autozone will eat away the hoses and water pump impellers eventually. So if your coolant looks brown or green, flush it immediately! Or I guarantee you will have a water pump failure eventually. Fresh G12++ looks bright pink/violet/purple. They sell it in NAPA surprisingly, so it's easy to find.

Yes yes, and yes! I paid $14 for a two quart concentrate bottle that made two gallons. Same price as the yellow and orange gunk but well worth the piece of mind.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

TheRedBaron

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
My aunt won a Maverick on The Price Is Right back in 1976.
Her's was puke yellow with matching puke yellow vinyl seats.

The 70´s were incredible for the kind of crappy things we had and though were great, nowadays everything is dull grey, black or silver....white is considered adventurous... go figure..Do you remember the AMC Gremlins with Levy´s Jeans interiors?

On Topic..... Use only good oil and change it every 8000 miles tops, the turbo oil tube is over the exhaust and cooks bad oil then clogs it and then your turbo has a heart attack because of lack of lubricant.... I recommend changing that tube every 80K Kms (40K miles) to be on the safe side.

Congrats on your VW
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Superfly

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 13):
The 70´s were incredible for the kind of crappy things we had and though were great, nowadays everything is dull grey, black or silver....white is considered adventurous... go figure..Do you remember the AMC Gremlins with Levy´s Jeans interiors?

Now you see why I like cars with plaid seats and station wagons with woodgrain side panels.
I knew a gay couple in San Francisco that still drives a mint condition AMC Pacer with the Levi's Stauss denim seats.
It was the Gemlin, Pacer and Daisy Duke Jeep that came with the Levis Strauss denim seats.
The Javelin came with a Pierre Cardin Edition interior.
Ford, Mercury & Lincoln went overboard with the designer name editions.

On Topic..... Use only good oil and change it every 8000 miles tops, the turbo oil tube is over the exhaust and cooks bad oil then clogs it and then your turbo has a heart attack because of lack of lubricant.... I recommend changing that tube every 80K Kms (40K miles) to be on the safe side.

Listen to the Redbaraon!   
Bring back the Concorde

sprout5199

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Do you remember the AMC Gremlins with Levy´s Jeans interiors?

Yep, and the Lil Red Truck. wish i had one now.

Dan in Jupiter