Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

Train Horns On Cars,,,,,, Is This Legal?

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:02 pm

This HAS to violate some kind of noise ordinance, doesn't it?

The website of the company that makes this is featured prominently......so are they endorsing this behaviour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2f7045be_E&feature=fvsr

people get angry in this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6JukEA1oM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS7ST8WO5cI&feature=related

While I don't condone this.....the first 5 seconds of this one are HILARIOUS!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5szCF-1o00
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Zkpilot

RE: Train Horns On Cars,,,,,, Is This Legal?

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:52 pm

In most countries it is illegal to use your horn except as a warning device... ie you can't use it unless someone pulls out on the road in front of you etc... of course this law is hardly ever enforced but in this circumstance I think if a cop witnessed it he probably would enforce it.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

IMissPiedmont

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:13 pm

It is very ilegal to have a train horn on an automobile. Not to mention you might just get a bat upside your head. Are these guys the 21st century Beavis & Butthead? They sure are stupid.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

einsteinboricua

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
so are they endorsing this behaviour?

I don't think so. It's more to prove just how loud and attention-grabber their train horns are. Would you consider that this is also endorsing people to blend whatever they get their hands on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

Why not make it fun along the way? Though I got to admit, if they are the owners/advertisers of the company, they're getting out of hand with the pranks. There's only so many times the videos are funny before they turn dull.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

stasisLAX

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:51 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 3):
I don't think so. It's more to prove just how loud and attention-grabber their train horns are. Would you consider that this is also endorsing people to blend whatever they get their hands on?

Some people are simply immature attention whores. And have no concern for other people's hearing - such a loud sound at a close range can easily damage someone's hearing. Idiots!   
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:09 am

I'm dying to get some and the only thing stopping me is that they wont fit my car, and im too broke.

I wouldn't use them to be a douchebag like these guys but there are some people, especially those imbeciles stuck to a phone while driving all the time, that seriously never seem to react to a horn. Which is great especially when they decide to switch lanes onto you without looking. If I had a dollar for every time some asshole did that to me...   

I upgrade the horns in my cars always (horns nowadays are too damned wimpy and politically correct). Right now I got these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XLULsqTIpA

They're pretty damn earsplitting, but still, somehow people seem oblivious to them.

af773atmsp

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:56 am

So if you installed train horns in your car and would only use them in a emergency situation is it legal or still illegal? Not that I want to do this to my car, but there are some drivers around here who could use a good wake up call.  
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:27 am

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 6):
So if you installed train horns in your car and would only use them in a emergency situation is it legal or still illegal?

There are no laws in the US that I know of that prevent you from installing them. But every single state I can think of has generic noise restrictions and such.

But what's the worst they could do? Write you a ticket for disturbing the peace? Whoop de doo.   

DiamondFlyer

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:33 am

Why stop with a train horn. Just go to the ship horn. Might need a truck to do it, but ain't no way they don't hear you coming with this bad boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHTcMaijbsQ

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:12 am

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 8):
Why stop with a train horn. Just go to the ship horn. Might need a truck to do it, but ain't no way they don't hear you coming with this bad boy.

Why stop at ship horn, check out this NASA horn:

http://youtu.be/6MasocIBqaE

Quote:
This horn is no longer in used because the mortar of the building started coming apart from the testing that was done over the years.

phatfarmlines

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:44 am

Looks like this was filmed in Phoenix, AZ (480 area codes seen on signs, Superstition Springs Mall in Mesa). Wouldn't be surprised if Sheriff Joe goes after these guys.....

MD11Engineer

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:29 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 5):
I'm dying to get some and the only thing stopping me is that they wont fit my car, and im too broke.

I wouldn't use them to be a douchebag like these guys but there are some people, especially those imbeciles stuck to a phone while driving all the time, that seriously never seem to react to a horn. Which is great especially when they decide to switch lanes onto you without looking. If I had a dollar for every time some asshole did that to me...

I upgrade the horns in my cars always (horns nowadays are too damned wimpy and politically correct). Right now I got these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XLULsqTIpA

They're pretty damn earsplitting, but still, somehow people seem oblivious to them.

Back in the 1970s, when my parents had the old VW van we used for travelling all over Europe (mainly Portugal and Spain, since my Dad was often working there), my Dad discovered that especially in Spain drivers of smaller cars (Seat 600 etc.) would often cut him, since they thought that this VW van was just as slow as the vans they were used to. This often led to dangerous situations.
As a result he pimped the originally white van a bit, so that it wouldn´t look like a delivery van. First he painted the "bulge" and the bumpers bright orange. The spare wheel on the front also received an orange hubcap. Then he added fog lights to the front bumper and finally a set of extra loud horns. Since these horns were illegal in Germany, he installed a switch under the dashboard, which allowed him to switch to the regulation standard horn, the van came with, but if necessary abroad, he would switch over to the extra loud ones.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

photopilot

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Well, I ride a motorbike and the stock horns on bikes these days is criminal. Combine that with their smaller size and profile, well other drivers just don't see you.

So I installed a Stebel Nautilus Air Horn (139 dB) which is super compact and fits under the front cowling. The very small trumpets are aimed down and forward between the forks. Works like a charm and now when someone starts to pull out without seeing me, then sure as heck hear me. But it's strictly for safety, not for playing with.

mirrodie

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 am

Finally a thread I can sink my teeth into.

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 4):
Some people are simply immature attention whores. And have no concern for other people's hearing - such a loud sound at a close range can easily damage someone's hearing.

-True, and yet some aren't.

First, the video of the cat was hilarious. And my wife thought so as well. (And yes we have a pair of cats, one of them on my lap right now. Heck, even our cats laughed.)

Second, they are not illegal. I recently met an officer who had them in his personal vehicle. We were comparing installations and I later heard that prior to our intro, he wanted to know how big mine were, LOL. Mine were louder.

It was funny but talking to a neighbor/police officer about it, we had the same thought in mind....we rarely used ours unless provoked .ie honked at, near misses., etc. He even sent me a text one night while I was doing a test run, a mile from where we live. He heard me in the tunnel and texted, "Driving that train, high on cocaine." Obviously he's got sense of humor about it.

**But I am sure that noise ordinances can lead to citations being written regardless of one's reasoning to use the horn.**

I installed them simply because I had the means, I had the time and primarily, I really enjoyed their sound. You see, unlike those harsh blasts, I rigged mine through and through with air valves. So they can sound, melodic, if you will.

Never went on 'blasting runs' but I do know of several pick up trucks nearby that do. In a quaint village on a Friday night, we spent 3 hours over dinner. Some guy in a pick up was blasting up and down the same stretch of a mile road village street the entire time...I thought he must have just had them installed if he's wasting a Friday night doing that vs picking up girls.... While I liked his horns, (same sound as mine but harsher due to his full on/off blast) it got old very quickly and it went from "that was funny" to "geez, what a loser"
in about 20 minutes. It just gets old...

I did do one 'run' where I picked up my brother and we went by his lady's house. He called her previously and told her what to expect. When we drove by and honked, we saw her through her window and her reaction was insanely hysterical. ANd she was expecting it!

I cant say I went honked at people except when they deserved it. Like the one time, I was looking to make a right turn and slowing to make the turn, only to realize I slowed too soon and it was the next corner. So realizing my error, I sped up to the next right. BUT this carful of college age boys honked from behind me with their dinky Asian import stock horn. So I gave them a dose of their own. Even they were having a good laugh over it.

The other time I was returning home from a meeting one late school night around 11 pm. I took the backroad home which was a dark winding road flanked by forest and a cemetery,.. one of those roads that has a place in local folklore for being haunted. So anyway, I'm just tired and trying to get home when I see a group of 4 teens, a pair of gals among them, walking along this road, walking away from their car. It's the middle of the night and they should be home readying themselves for the next day instead of chasing ghost stories, right. So I gave them a full on blast and they all jumped higher than my car.

Only other times I may blast them is under overpasses and in tunnels, OR.... if there is a big tractor trailer truck nearby sometimes.

I have blasted my horns while only a few car lengths away from a patrol car and in the vicinity of a truck. All heads turn but no one knows where its coming from.

Anyway, I can see your point, are the endorsing such behavior? Yes. But having them is not a crime. Considering how many people complain about the brightness of headlights now, the horns are small potatoes.

Here I am showing mine off to a former member of this website.

http://youtu.be/vcSsEGhjZps

I've since removed them and will reinstall them in a neater way as soon as it warms up.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

ual757

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:55 am

I definitely LOLed at some of their videos.

jamincan

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:04 pm

It might not be a crime, but it definitely flagrant use of horns like that (like driving through a parking lot late at night and laying on the horn as you did) would definitely violate noise by-laws or the equivalent in whatever jurisdiction you are in.

In Ontario at least, and I'm sure other provinces/states, it is also illegal under the Highway Traffic Act to make unreasonable noise with your vehicle. I'm not sure of the penalty though - you'd probably end up with a fine.

[Edited 2012-02-27 06:10:18]

ALTF4

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 13):
.we rarely used ours unless provoked .ie honked at, near misses., etc.

And then you proceed to tell stories of when you honked without needing to.

.....alrighty then.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

mirrodie

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:20 pm

Flagrant use of horns in an empty industrial/ commercial zoned parking lots. You are probably correct. Oh and I also blow them when driving past our departed family in the cemetery that I pass to and from my way to work.

I highly doubt I am not ticking off anyone anymore than planes flying overhead. I

I guess when you pass every day situations like glaring headlights, cutting off each other in traffic, speeding, road rage, illegal U-turn's and left turns, and three-point turns in the middle of a 4 Lane Divided Hwy, my occasional use of horns while driving along cemetery in the middle the night or in a commercial parking lot in the middle of the night is a mild offense.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st