Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Brand New Hyundai Has An Airbag Light

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:19 am

Picked up a 2012 Hyundai Elantra for the wife this afternoon and when we got it home, it popped on an airbag light. I called the dealer and while no one seemed to believe me (are you sure it isn't a TPMS light or something), they had me bring it in anyway. Turns out it needs a new airbag control module. Of course, they don't have the part on hand and it's likely we won't get the car back until Tuesday at the earliest. In the meantime, we have been given a "certified used" 2009 Hyundai Sonata as a temporary loaner vehicle. Any idea what kind of compensation I can/should pursue? The dealer, while somewhat sympathetic, didn't offer anything off the bat.

/rant

PS - Really not in the mood for "oh it's a Hyundai" comments. Maybe once it all blows over, but definitely not now as I see this "certified used" car in my driveway.

Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

DocLightning

RE: Brand New Hyundai Has An Airbag Light

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:32 am

Quoting Jetsgo (Thread starter):

Picked up a 2012 Hyundai Elantra for the wife this afternoon and when we got it home, it popped on an airbag light. I called the dealer and while no one seemed to believe me (are you sure it isn't a TPMS light or something), they had me bring it in anyway. Turns out it needs a new airbag control module. Of course, they don't have the part on hand and it's likely we won't get the car back until Tuesday at the earliest. In the meantime, we have been given a "certified used" 2009 Hyundai Sonata as a temporary loaner vehicle. Any idea what kind of compensation I can/should pursue? The dealer, while somewhat sympathetic, didn't offer anything off the bat.

See if you can get a set of all-weather floormats or something. Otherwise, he did offer you a loaner (for free, I hope) and he is fixing it for you, so I don't think he really owes you much.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

prebennorholm

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:43 am

Of course, they don't have the part on hand and it's likely we won't get the car back until Tuesday at the earliest.

Airbags are not dealer stock items. Due to fire regs they are allowed to stock only a few units while there are 100+ different types to cover all airbag types in all Hyundai models.

In the meantime, we have been given a "certified used" 2009 Hyundai Sonata as a temporary loaner vehicle.

While having the same problem with a new VW Golf 14 years ago I put black tape over the indicator while awaiting the fix. I try to drive in a way so I don't need airbags - being successful so far.

Any idea what kind of compensation I can/should pursue?

Nothing. Let the dealer fix the problem and say thank you with a smile. Just be happy and hope that not much more shows up. Millions of buyers of much more expensive cars have suffered much more severe problems.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

A346Dude

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:36 am

Dude, s&*$ happens. It sucks but they'll fix it.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

airportugal310

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:43 am

Any idea what kind of compensation I can/should pursue? The dealer, while somewhat sympathetic, didn't offer anything off the bat.

As long as the car is under warranty (and Im sure it is since its brand new) they will fix it for free...

What's the issue? That you don't have your brand new car or that you have a loaner?
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:55 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
for free, I hope

Yes, for free.

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 2):
Millions of buyers of much more expensive cars have suffered much more severe problems.

Sure, but is it too much to expect our new car with 24 miles to work properly?

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 3):
Dude, s&*$ happens.

Ain't that the truth.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 4):
What's the issue? That you don't have your brand new car or that you have a loaner?

That we don't have our new car and that the loaner is a 3 year old used vehicle.

I like Doc's suggestion, maybe i'll ask for some all weather mats. I'm not looking for cash or free payments or similar, but it just sucks and I'm still butt hurt over it.  

stasisLAX

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:02 am

Hyundai has had numerous complaints about their airbag sensors failing, malfunctioning, or giving false warning lights. Someone I know here in Phoenix was rear-ended by a woman in a Silverado pick-up going 40 mph, pushing her 2010 Sonata into the car in front of her, and therefore crushing the Sonata at both ends - no airbags were deployed. The police and the EMTs were surprised she wasn't more seriously injured in the wreck. There is a National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) investigation taking place because there has been alot of complaints from Hyundai owners about airbags not deploying or warning lights coming on repeatedly - You may want to file your a complaint by calling the NHTSA at (888) 327-4236 and then telling the dealer that you've done so, and I'll wager money that they fix your wife's Elantra pronto. Hyundai recalled all 2009 to 2011 built Sonatas voluntarily - sounds like the Elantra needs a recall too. Good luck and careful driving!!

Source: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/hyundai_airbags.html

[Edited 2012-02-25 20:09:16]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:14 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 6):
Hyundai recalled all 2009 to 2011 built Sonatas voluntarily - sounds like the Elantra needs a recall too.

Looks like OP picked the winner!

PS - Really not in the mood for "oh it's a Hyundai" comments.

Fair enough...

But that's what you get for buying yet another generic Asian appliance.               

[Edited 2012-02-25 20:28:26]

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:50 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 7):
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/xtremebillibong7/fly.png

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:02 am

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 8):
Jetsgo

mmedford

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:52 am

Well...

could pull a ballsy move and ask for the dealer to cut you a check for your purchase price; because of the issue.

Then when you go to pick up the check; ask them to make it worth your while?
ILS = It'll Land Somewhere

melpax

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:42 am

Highly doubt you'll get any compo - the dealer is fixing the issue under warranty & has given you a courtesy car to get around in while it's being sorted.

As a previous poster has said, maybe try to get a set of mats or similar accessory to sweeten the deal, otherwise the dealer is complying with their end of the deal, and more (use of car)

jrowson

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:43 am

The compensation generation really winds me up sometimes. I worked selling mobile phones for years and unfortunately mass produced items are sometimes just not perfect off the line. This is why cars, electronic products etc come with a warranty meaning you'll get it sorted out (fixed or replaced) for free. I'm cabin crew for an airline now and you should see some of the problems we have with brand new few days old Airbus 319/320s that roll off the production line. They are always breaking with bits not working which need sorting. You were given a loan car, so you've not been inconvenienced. I'm sure they are doing their best to sort it out.
James Rowson

swissy

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:59 am

Had issues with my Dodge Ram (99 model), I had even less km's on it   after paying for everything including PDI ! I made it exactly 8km of the lot!!! cylinder #8 spark plug not working  , passenger window switch broken and a valve in the transmission was sour so it would not shift into 4th gear... truck was stranded for 4 days at the dealer and they gave me a used Neon.... for freeeeee   was so pis....

Cheerios,

photopilot

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Good grief. The dealer is promptly fixing it (parts do need to be ordered as others have noted) and he gave you a loaner so that you're not inconvenienced. Why is it then that people immediately think they are "owed" something more? I mean, why not call a lawyer and sue them for millions for emotional distress because you can't handle it that you car wasn't quite perfect enough? Or just deal with it and move forward.

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 14):
Why is it then that people immediately think they are "owed" something more?

As mentioned in Reply 5, is it too much to ask that our vehicle work properly? Perhaps I am owed the 2012 Hyundai Elantra we purchased?

sue them for millions for emotional distress

Also highlighted in Reply 5 is my desire to get a set of floor mats. Not millions.

can't handle it that you car wasn't quite perfect enough?

STILL in Reply 5 here, I mentioned that I am simply butt hurt over the incident and acknowledge that it will blow over.

I don't know whether or not you simply fail at basic reading comprehension, but the general direction of your post is not appreciated. Too dramatic, too late. Good grief.

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 15):
is it too much to ask that our vehicle work properly?

For a Hyundai? Yes.               

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 15):
butt hurt

mmedford

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Good grief. The dealer is promptly fixing it (parts do need to be ordered as others have noted) and he gave you a loaner so that you're not inconvenienced.

What do you mean he wasn't inconvenience?

He bought a brand new vehicle; not to have this issue which could or would be found on a used vehicle. He has to make 2 extra trips to the dealer for this.

I think it's worth a set of hyundai logo'ed floor mats and a oil change or two.
ILS = It'll Land Somewhere

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 16):

Luftfahrer

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:34 pm

It does not sound as bad as what I expected when reading the title: no proper airbag, i.e. a "light version".
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

Ken777

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:36 pm

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 5):

Traditionally a small defect in an electronic part will cause it to fail pretty fast. That iMO has been the problems with electronics for years.

The important issue is that they gave you something to drive while your new car is fixed. I would keep on top of them - ask to be advised when the part has arrived and then how long it will take to fix. A reasonable dealer will et to work on it as soon as they can after the new part is received.

might be a pain, but remember that all brands of cars come with repair manuals.

TheCol

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39 pm

A Hyundai? Seriously?

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 16):
For a Hyundai? Yes.

Quoting JRowson (Reply 12):
I'm cabin crew for an airline now and you should see some of the problems we have with brand new few days old Airbus 319/320s that roll off the production line. They are always breaking with bits not working which need sorting.

Same goes for any aircraft strait out of a C or D check. I generally count on 2-3 days, depending on the type and whether or not the Mx was contracted out, of marginal serviceability on top of the scheduled down time.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

prebennorholm

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:41 pm

...but is it too much to expect our new car with 24 miles to work properly?

Yes, that is definitely too much to expect.

The leading automobile club in my country makes statistics over failures on new cars every year. Very few brands have ever made it below 1.00 fault per car on average. And when it happens, it rarely is expensive luxury cars - they just have more gimmicks to fail.

When I had exactly the same failure 14 years ago, then I was just glad that it happened immediately, and not after the warranty had expired. You should be happy too.

That car served me well for 12 years and 320,000 miles (509,000 km).

For me it was an exchange of the side airbag in the passenger seat. Had it failed after warranty had expired, then it would have set me back just under $$$ one grand including fee for safe disposal of the old airbag. Think of it the other way around. You saved a thousand $$$ because it happened now instead of later. Spend that money on inviting your wife on a pleasant weekend trip, Vegas or such.  
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

smittyone

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:43 pm

I'd say that 24 miles is exactly the right point for any kind of "out of the box" electrical gremlins to show up. My Honda CRV's headlight went out on the drive home. Another car's ABS light came on after I'd had it for a short while too. That kind of thing seems to either fail right away or run flawlessly forever.

If they had delivered the car to you with the light on, then I'd agree that they dicked you. But since it came on after you left the lot I'd file it under:

Shit happens.
Every day.
To good people.

They gave you a loaner, I think that's about all you can reasonably demand. If they're interested in your business long term they'll throw you a bone, but if they don't it will still smell new when you get it back.

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:56 pm

Quoting TheCol (Reply 21):
A Hyundai? Seriously?

Tisk tisk. See replies 8 and 18.

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 22):
Yes, that is definitely too much to expect.
Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 23):
Shit happens.
Every day.
To good people.

I guess I was overdue for my day - still just feel like whining about it. Could've been worse though.

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 23):
They gave you a loaner, I think that's about all you can reasonably demand. If they're interested in your business long term they'll throw you a bone, but if they don't it will still smell new when you get it back.

You're probably right. Fingers crossed.

smittyone

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:13 am

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 24):
I guess I was overdue for my day - still just feel like whining about it. Could've been worse though.

Hey I don't blame you there. Changing the headlight lamp on my day-old CRV didn't take very long or cost much but I was like "Really? WTF". I can only imagine if I'd had to hand it back to them for a week...

Good luck with the Hyundai - I really like the looks of their lineup these days. They've come a long way since the mighty Excel!

garpd

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 am

Oh come on. You're still getting the brand new car, just a few days late. And you have a loaner in the mean time.
You've not incurred any costs or suffered and injuries, trauma or stress.

An apology and perhaps a some flowers for the wife should suffice.

Now, if they turn round and insist you pay for the new airbag module, the you raise hell, as that should be fitted for free. It was, after all, a manufacture defect.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

AirPacific747

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:06 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 2):
I try to drive in a way so I don't need airbags - being successful so far.

And what difference does that make, if others are driving recklessly?

Cadet57

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm wading into this one a little late. But really? You want compensation for a car that has an issue? I'm going to let you in on a secret. Cars are mechanical things. They break, whether they have 4 or 400,000 miles. Clearly the car is under warranty and the dealer is repairing it for free. And in the meantime you have a loaner. What more could you honestly expect?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

JAGflyer

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:28 am

Unless you live in an area devoid of any snow, the OEM rubber mats are useless. They don't contain the water very well and are more for show than practicality. I'd ask for something like a few free oil changes.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:47 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 28):
You want compensation for a car that has an issue?

Absolutely. It has 24 miles on it and I STILL don't have the car I purchased on Saturday. So whether or not it's a set of mats or a few free oil changes, I don't care. By no means do I live my life thinking I am owed anything by anyone, but in this particular situation at least something is in order here. Yes, I have a loaner car, but hell I'd rather just have the car we traded in and try again some other time at this point. And for what it's worth, the dealer has yet to return my calls, let alone call me.

[Edited 2012-02-29 18:55:55]

asuflyer05

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:06 am

I would say you have more grounds for compensation based more so on the fact they cannot return phone calls. Life happens, so the SRS light isn't the end of the world. I'm surprised a Hyundai dealer provides loaner cars. But they should be calling you to fill you in on the status. Have you tried contacting your sales person or his/her sales manager?