Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mcoov
Topic Author

The My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Thread

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:52 am

Welcome to the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Appreciation Thread!

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a new cartoon from Hasbro, revolving around the--

...I'm leaving.

Get back here.

Despite the extremely girly name, saturation of pinks in the color scheme, and legacy attachments to the 80's, this cartoon is GOOD. Sit down, and I'll tell you why.

Okay, why should I watch this?

It's directed, produced, and overseen by Lauren Faust, wife of Craig McCracken. You might know her better from work such as The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. This is a woman who A: knows what she's doing, and B: doesn't go for the old "let's throw tea parties and defeat villains by sharing" garbage.

And this shows STRONGLY in Friendship is Magic. The writing is clever and snappy, the humor is surprisingly witty, the voice acting is top-notch, the music is composed by professionals, the characters are distinct and likable, and in every episode there’s at least one joke or reference which was clearly put in more for the adults watching than the kids. Oh, and the art and animation is spectacular.

I don’t believe you. A My Little Pony cartoon that doesn’t rot your teeth?

I know! But this thing is on FIRE. It's found a wide and devoted audience, and is quickly shedding the old albatross of girl's cartoons past. A good chunk of that audience, surprisingly, is also male, and in the 15-35 demographic--though most of those would probably never admit to watching it, at least not in public.

To anyone looking to get into the series, a quick YouTube search will turn up dozens of episodes. They're all on YouTube if you know where to look.

Fly2HMO

RE: The My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Thread

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:57 am

Quoting Mcoov (Thread starter):
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

In other news...I hereby permanently revoke your man card.

[Edited 2012-02-25 17:58:09]

Mcoov
Topic Author

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:09 am

The first reaction is always the worst...

[Edited 2012-02-25 18:10:27]

hOMSaR

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:26 am

I sense a new meme coming.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:56 am

Quoting Mcoov (Reply 2):
The first reaction is always the worst...
Quoting homsar (Reply 3):
I sense a new meme coming.

Dude, MLP memes have been out for ages.

WestJet747

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:29 am

Flying refined.

Jetsgo

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:11 am

Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Aloha717200

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:30 am

Dude, you got balls of titanium for posting that in a.net. For that, I'm adding you to my RU list. Yes. for that alone.

There's a roar in the distance, and it's the sound of a giant wave of a.netters about to descend on this thread and attempt to wipe away any shred of "man" you might claim to have. You might as well be walking into a rough bar in alabama wearing a miniskirt.You're about to get your ass handed to you...but dammit if you ain't brave.

Anyway, my fiancee is obsessed with MLP. She's also an animator. I hear about this show, literally, daily. I don't watch it except when she drags me into it, but I have to admit that what I have seen is good. no matter how much she tries to get me to say the word "fan" though, it hasn't happened. I refuse to give her that satisfaction. XD

That said...Lauren Faust is no longer involved in the show. she was for Season 1, she was only partially involved in Season 2, and won't be involved for any further seasons.

The episodes she showed me from season 2 were, generally, a lot more cheesy. I truly cringed. Faust's direction is what made PPG and Foster's good, so without her I do believe MLP will become much like what the old show was...an outlet to sell toys.

Just my opinion as the fiance of an animator.

[Edited 2012-02-25 22:44:04]

vikkyvik

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:48 am

Amusingly, one of my good friends works for Hasbro. When he first started there after college, he was working on My Little Pony.

He's since moved on to bigger and better endeavors there (done quite well for himself and the company), but we had some good times making fun of him at first.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Mcoov
Topic Author

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:59 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 7):
That said...Lauren Faust is no longer involved in the show. she was for Season 1, she was only partially involved in Season 2, and won't be involved for any further seasons.

The beginning text was more or less a copypaste from a similar thread on another site. I am aware of Lauren's diminished involvement.

The episodes she showed me from season 2 were, generally, a lot more cheesy.

I tend to pay less attention to the plot than I do to the show's other elements, such as the animation and the background music, and as an animator, I would imagine your fiancee does the same. Example: this .gif

Notice how Pinkie's doing the Vaudevillian tap dance with a cane thing. It looks similar to Bugs Bunny's famous dace routine doesn't it? That's the kinda stuff I look for.

The show hearkens back to the days of the 90s, when actual effort was put into the production of cartoons. Compare it with much of today's cartoons, and it surpasses them all. I grew up with Animaniacs, and was roughly 7 or 8 years old when they stopped airing repeats on television. Everything [cartoons] since then has been mostly downhill up to this point.

The show also makes use of what I like to call "screwball physics", especially with Pinkie Pie. Things like surviving the impact of heavy objects, breaking the 4th wall, and other various defiances of logic and physics that you would commonly find in a Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, or Stephen Spielberg cartoon of yore. There is a scene from the first season of the show where one character survives a flower pot, an anvil, a cart of hay, and a piano all successively dropped on her head in a span of about 15 seconds, only to be bandage and bruised, but walking, in the next scene. As one who also entertains an interest in animation, this is what I really have a sweet tooth for.

@Jetsgo: You are referring to Rule 34. I discourage any Rule 34 in this thread of any kind.

[Edited 2012-02-25 23:09:44]

TheCol

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:57 pm

No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

PlymSpotter

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Quoting Mcoov (Thread starter):
A good chunk of that audience, surprisingly, is also male, and in the 15-35 demographic

A good chunk of those are probably on some form or register, or should be. Unless you have a child to amuse or a very special interest (i.e. animation work), I find grown men watching kids cartoons quite disturbing.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

DocLightning

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:31 pm

There's a roar in the distance, and it's the sound of a giant wave of a.netters about to descend on this thread and attempt to wipe away any shred of "man" you might claim to have. You might as well be walking into a rough bar in alabama wearing a miniskirt.You're about to get your ass handed to you...but dammit if you ain't brave.

I don't think I could have worded it any better myself.

Quoting Mcoov (Reply 9):
@Jetsgo: You are referring to Rule 34. I discourage any Rule 34 in this thread of any kind.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

dc9northwest

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:24 pm

Warning, NSFW, but in the language-y way, not the Rule 34-y way:

http://youtu.be/ZyYTKbC6tbw

Yo, uh... Word...

WestJet747

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Quoting Mcoov (Reply 9):
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/077/Raisins_Face.jpg

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 11):
I find grown men watching kids cartoons quite disturbing.

Unless they watched it themselves as a kid. I'm down for Dexter's Laboratory any day of the week!
Flying refined.

Jetsgo

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Quoting Mcoov (Reply 9):

HorizonGirl

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:39 pm

Oh please don't tell me... A.net was the last forum I regularly post in which has not been completely taken over by Bronies. I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that you're starting in on my last safe haven, or that I thought A.net was safe!  

Seriously though, you must have at least eight balls to post this on A.net. I admire you for your courage in not letting anybody tell you that MLP is stupid, especially on what I will admit is one of the manliest forums I can think of.

Admittedly, I haven't actually tried watching it yet. I've been kind of put off by some of their obnoxious fans, who seem to think they can march into anyone's forum and take over until you're not even sure what the site's about anymore.

Also, I am slightly terrified that I'll get completely hooked and become one of said fans.  Wow!

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

Jetsgo

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Quoting HorizonGirl (Reply 16):
one of the manliest forums I can think of.

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Quoting Mcoov (Reply 9):
I discourage any Rule 34 in this thread of any kind.

You're not fooling anybody:

Stabilator

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:02 am

Never in a million years would I think I'd see a MLP fan thread descend upon A.net. Truly devastating  
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.