Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ALTF4
Topic Author

Best Way To Cook A Steak

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:17 pm

Alright, resident A.net chefs, or meat-lovers...

I got a good deal on several +/- 11-oz New York Strips. 1 and a half inches thick. I'm tired of grilling my meat on the grill outside, plus its supposed to be raining tonight, and plus I'll be moving somewhere soon where I can't have a grill. So... I've got several steaks to practice on to perfect other methods.

Anybody have some good ideas? Tonight I'm planning on heating a cast iron pan up as hot as the oven will go or putting it on the stove on high heat for 15 minutes, then rubbing down a steak with light olive oil and a decent bit of salt and pepper, then plopping it in the pan for 3 or 4 minutes per side and put in the oven at 475 (highest the oven will go).

Any other ideas? Got a favorite method? And no, microwaving it is not a method, nor is sticking it in on an AWACS radar pancake. 
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

flyingclrs727

RE: Best Way To Cook A Steak

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 pm

canoecarrier

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:33 pm

I'd put some butter on it before it goes in the oven, I used this technique a couple times and it makes a great steak. If you have a cast iron pan use it.

http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/ss/aa071507a.htm
The beatings will continue until morale improves

airportugal310

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Dear slab of meat:

Please look at grill...keep walking.

Thank you
AP310

[Edited 2012-02-28 14:02:36]
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

RobertNL070

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 pm

First off, very important, remove steak from fridge at least an hour before preparation.

A nob of butter in a cast iron pan or skillet, allow butter to melt and get up to temperature. Show the steak to the pan or skillet. Ready !! Come and get it !!!!!
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

desertjets

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Butter will probably give you more flavor, but olive oil will work as well. A generous pinch of coarse salt and a good grind or two of pepper. Hot skillet, 4-5 minutes a side and rest 5-10 before eating -- should put you somewhere between medium rare and medium.

Pair with garlic mashed potatoes or baked sweet potato and some roasted asparagus.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Mike89406

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 pm

The only way I cook steak in the oven is to Broil it. Spice it up with your favorite seasonings prior to cooking. You need a broiler pan fill 1/2 way with water, put the steak on the pan and slide under the oven and set temperature to broil. Depending on the thickness and how rare or well done you want it 5 mins per side +/-. Be careful when removing broil pan before flipping sides or pulling out to eat.

kiwiinoz

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:55 am

Already said but flame grilled and the meat should be at or close to room temp when you start. Also, once cooked rest the meat, (I think 1 min per 100 gms....can't remember). For a filet mignon cut, you can finish in the oven but it should still start on the grill.

I have tried a few diffferent techniques with varying results. The above traditional method is still the best but this one, (below) worth a try if you want something different. Again, has to be a lean cut, ie filet

Fill a saucepan to about 3 inches with red wine, add 3 whole cloves of garlic and a couple of sprigs of thyme or rosemary. bring to the boil and then reduce the heat until it is just simmering, then place the fillet in the liquid. Poach for about 10 minutes and then remove. Dry the fillet and then finish on a high heat on the grill until it forms a caramalised crust, (this should be very quick, max 2 mins per side)

The nice thing with the above method is that it gave some lovely flavours without having to heavily sauce the meat. Problem with poaching though is that it's hard to get the timing right. Definitely don't try with a more fatty cut as this method does not give enough caramalisation of the fat

FingerLakerAv8r

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:57 am

For me?

Walk the cow through a warm room and I'll rip off a hunk.

:D

AR385

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:26 am

Mix coarse or sea salt with fresh, ground pepper and fresh, chopped rosemary. Extend the mixture on your countertop or a table. Roll the meat on the mix until most of it has stuck to it.

Rub olive oil on the meat (the one for cooking ie. not the Extra virgin or virgin versions. Those just burn) Cook the meat on an Iron skillet until you achieve your desired cooking point. Usually, for the steak you mentioned, 4 mins on each side will give you something between medium rare and medium.

Get yourself a nice Argentine Malbec and a simple Green Salad with vinaigrette dressing. Enjoy Dinner.

zippyjet

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:55 am

Quoting flyingclrs727 (Reply 1):
Sear it in a cast iron skillet.

It's a shame you won't have a grill down the line. Nothing beats that charcoal taste. However, searing it in that iron skillet sounds like a good idea. My recomendation? Marinate, Marinate...did I say Marinate? This is why God invented the Internet besides for looking at hot women with little clothing. There are many free sites with easy recipes. I like using garlic. Even better than salt. Good luck and I'll be over to sample.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

kiwiandrew

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:19 am

Quoting FingerLakerAv8r (Reply 8):
Walk the cow through a warm room and I'll rip off a hunk.

Agreed 

If there is one thing I really hate it is overcooked steak, mooing and bleeding is my preferred choice, but will settle for blue.

EA CO AS

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:53 am

There's no "right" way to cook a steak - whatever you enjoy is the right way for you.

Having said that, here's my recipe:

Take the steaks and toss them in a plastic Ziploc-type bag. Pour in 1/4 cup of lime juice plus 2 tablespoons of sea salt.
Then add 2 tablespoons onion powder, 2 tablespoons garlic salt, and pour in 1/4 cup of Soy Sauce along with 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce.

Zip up the bag part way, pulling the rest of the bag tight around the steaks to purge as much air as you can. Once done, seal the bag all the way, then shake all the contents to allow it to mix evenly.

Put the sealed bag back in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

When ready to cook, fire on high flame over an open grill 5-6 minutes each side or until cooked to your preference.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Fly2HMO

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:10 am

Quoting flyingclrs727 (Reply 1):
Sear it in a cast iron skillet.

My preferred method as well.

However, upon investigation of more scientific cooking methods, apparently the whole "searing lock in moisture" thing is a myth. If you weigh a seared steak before and after cooking it, it will loose more weight due to rapid evaporation of the water. Though IMO the difference is negligible.

I also used to think using a meat thermometer was cheating and for novices (blame my mom, she was a chef, and she liked to keep it old school), but after doing more reading and bumping into a cheap digital one at the local maulmart I started cooking my steaks while closely monitoring the temps with one of these gadgets. Truth be told the quality of my steaks improved drastically. I now religiously use my thermometer to cook them and they always come out glorious.

Here's one of my favorite cooking sites:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/

Here's an epic guide to everything grill and meat related:

http://amazingribs.com/

rabenschlag

Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:50 am

Reverse cooking:

put raw steak into the oven at low temperatures for a longer period of time. It's easy to google appropriate weight/temp/time settings for slow cooking.

if it is close to the desired degree of cooking, sear in pan at very high heat.

This way, you get a steak that is juicy inside and close to crisp on the outside.

Marinating the meat, of course, is an option. Also, the meat might be simmered in various liquids such as wine or broth before searing it at high temperatures.

A welding torch is also an option for searing. Just recently, there was a brief video at nyt.com introducing this method.

Longhornmaniac

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Medium Rare or (preferably), Rare.

That is all.   

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

flyingclrs727

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 13):
However, upon investigation of more scientific cooking methods, apparently the whole "searing lock in moisture" thing is a myth.

The purpose of searing isn't to lock in moisture, it's to caramelize the surface of the meat.

scbriml

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Heat a heavy skillet so it's very hot.
Brush the steak with a very tiny amount of oil and add a generous helping of freshly ground black pepper (but not salt!)
Place in pan with tongs. DO NOT MOVE, allow to sear/caramelise for 2-4 minutes (depending on desired degree of rarity) then turn with tongs and cook for another 2-4 minutes.
Remove from pan and cover in foil and leave to rest for at least 10 minutes in a warm place.
Add a small pinch of salt just before serving.

Quoting flyingclrs727 (Reply 16):
The purpose of searing isn't to lock in moisture, it's to caramelize the surface of the meat.

Keeping the steak moist is a very handy side-effect. Likewise, using tongs and not piercing the steak with a fork while cooking also helps.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

danielmyatt

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:30 am

Rip its horns off and wipe its arse.

And yes, I am a professional... no really 

Fly2HMO

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:39 am

Quoting flyingclrs727 (Reply 16):

I know that. However MANY people think you should do it because it also "locks in the juices" . I only do it for the flavor.

skysurfer

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Personally I fire up the BBQ and when it's sitting at 450 I put the (marinated) steaks on for 4 minutes each side (3 minutes if it's at 500) and then take them off and voila, medium rare.
Juicy, full of flavour and just perfect.

I refuse to cook a steak for anyone who says 'well done'. Pffft, here's a piece of leather, enjoy  

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

Kiwirob

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:28 am

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 7):
Fill a saucepan to about 3 inches with red wine, add 3 whole cloves of garlic and a couple of sprigs of thyme or rosemary. bring to the boil and then reduce the heat until it is just simmering, then place the fillet in the liquid. Poach for about 10 minutes and then remove. Dry the fillet and then finish on a high heat on the grill until it forms a caramalised crust, (this should be very quick, max 2 mins per side)

You've been watching Master Chef Australia, I tried that method as well, it worked a treat and tasted excellent.

flipdewaf

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:14 am

I AM MAN BECAUSE I HAVE RED MEAT AS RED AS POSSIBLE!

I Love this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred