D L X

RE: Limbaugh Apologises For Calling Law Student Names

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Funny, the military and Congressional health care plans both pay for contraception.

E.g. http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/jsp...al/IsItCovered.do?kw=Birth+Control

I guess our female veterans are sluts.

[Edited 2012-03-05 15:09:10]

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 98):
Everyone (especially bjorn, slider and dreadnought) stop what you're doing, and read this article by conservative, David Frum:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/05/opinio...hp_c2

Thanks, D L X.

The part that struck me the most was:

Quote:

Most fundamentally, why the impulse to counter one outrageous stunt by rummaging through the archives in search of some supposedly offsetting outrageous stunt? Why not respond to an indecent act on its own terms, and then -- if there's another indecency later -- react to that too, and on its own terms?

Instead, public life is reduced to a revenge drama. Each offense is condoned by reference to some previous offense by some undefined "them" who supposedly once did something even worse, or anyway nearly as bad, at some point in the past.

A lot of the verbiage in this thread is of the sort he complains about above. No two situations are exactly comparable, so we spend a lot of time squawking about how this is kinda like that, no it isn't, yes it is, instead of just dealing with what Rush said. Of course some prefer we don't focus on Rush, and do what they can to steer the topic in as many different directions as possible.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

lewis

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:19 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 83):
Catholics don't believe in artificial contraception

Jehova's witnesses do not believe in blood transfusion. Should it be allowed that all companies and institutions can limit their health coverages based on their religious beliefs, even if the insured does not share their beliefs?

her 'hobby'

I didn't read anything about her hobbies. What hobby is that?

[Edited 2012-03-05 15:21:44]

mariner

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:21 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 12):
I have a daughter, and she is a lot smarter than to make such a stupid public pronouncement.

It doesn't matter whether you consider the pronouncement was "stupid" - a value judgement - or not.

The debate is about whether that daughter - or any woman or anyone - should be spoken about, in public, in those terms, no matter what they have pronounced.

mariner
aeternum nauta

us330

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 72):
30-year old full time activist

Full time law student--and activist is a completely neutral word--there are plenty of conservative activists as well as liberal activists. I'd consider the Tea Party to be a conservative activist group.

She wanted her 15 minutes of fame and she got it. Apparently, she didn't read the fine print that Georgetown is a Catholic university and Catholics don't believe in artificial contraception

Georgetown provides insurance funded birth control to its employees--just not its students. Fordham is also a Catholic university, which also provides insurance funded birth control to both its employees and its students--and the current dean of Georgetown Law was previously dean of Fordham Law.
There's more to the debate, at least on campus, than just "catholics don't believe in artificial contraception."

Ms. Fluke probably just threw away a $150,000 legal education. She'll probably get hired by some governmental agency or NGO as a hack lawyer and at those salaries she'll have to turn her 'hobby' into a 'profession'

I'll just ignore the last part of the comment which is identical to what Rush said. You assume that she wants to go into private practice--there are loan forgiveness programs for students who are focused on public interest/public service law careers.

Quoting Mir (Reply 92):
That Georgetown is run by Catholics is completely incidental to its mission (education).

True--I'm a law student there right now. The only way you would know that it was Catholic (outside of an interfaith chapel present on campus and clergy from several religions) was that the only student group on campus that doesn't receive school funding is the pro-choice group. Hell, we even have a kosher kitchen here!

On main campus (the law school is a satellite campus located near Capitol Hill), the religious influence is more noticeable, but they are still very welcoming to all religions.

D L X

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 102):
The part that struck me the most was:
Quote:

Most fundamentally, why the impulse to counter one outrageous stunt by rummaging through the archives in search of some supposedly offsetting outrageous stunt? Why not respond to an indecent act on its own terms, and then -- if there's another indecency later -- react to that too, and on its own terms?

Instead, public life is reduced to a revenge drama. Each offense is condoned by reference to some previous offense by some undefined "them" who supposedly once did something even worse, or anyway nearly as bad, at some point in the past.

YES. That is the part that struck me most also.

GuitrThree

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 pm

What really puzzles me about this contraception debate is all this talk about the women who need it for other medical reasons. I understand that, but Ms. Fluke talks about it as there is a large amount of women taking birth control pills not for birth control, but for the other reasons. I simply don't believe her as I understand this is a TINY SLIVER of a percent that really do. Her numbers don't add up.

Now, I'm not a doctor, and maybe Doc Lightning can give us a good answer, but if a certain woman needs these pills for her condition, can another dosage be prescribed that tips the insurance companies off that it is not for contraceptive reasons?

Now that I nor my wife need to use contraceptives thanks to a pair of Doctor "scissors", I might be out of the loop, but back in the day, the 31 day pack of pills had different colors each week because they were different dosages, with one week being nothing but a pill you swallow to "keep in the habit". Now, if these women need the benefit from the pill in other areas rather than contraception, wouldn't it make more sense that all 31 be the same dose? So if there was a different package between Birth Control and Non Birth Control of the same medicine, than insurance companies would have a hard time denying the 31 day equal strength pack.

I'm just askin' Am I on the right track or no?
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

blrsea

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 am

I wonder if Mr Limbaugh considers all the women he had sex with, who used contraceptives as sluts or prostitutes! Would be interested in knowing what his wife/girlfriend use for contraception.

oh BTW, if a woman who uses contraceptives is a slut, what should we call a man who uses condoms? And has limbaugh ever used condoms??

Wonder why he didn't shun contraceptives all together and just have plenty of children , like that family that has around 18 kids.

DocLightning

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:20 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 107):
Now that I nor my wife need to use contraceptives thanks to a pair of Doctor "scissors", I might be out of the loop, but back in the day, the 31 day pack of pills had different colors each week because they were different dosages, with one week being nothing but a pill you swallow to "keep in the habit". Now, if these women need the benefit from the pill in other areas rather than contraception, wouldn't it make more sense that all 31 be the same dose?

Nope. Not at all. If you are trying to force normal cycling, then absolutely not.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

StarAC17

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:31 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 60):
So tell me why this girl went in front of congress to tell them that someone else (the insurance companies, therefore everyone else) need to pay for her birth control pills? If she can't scratch together $9 she has other problems (I'm sure someone would give her $10 for a BJ).

As for as I know she pays here premiums like everyone else so its not just your money, stop acting like it is. She is lobbying to get contraption included as the Catholics are lobbying to put their dated views on people as well. Both views are valid under the first amendment. However any political group that pisses off 98% of Catholic women deserve what they have coming to them.

Quoting D L X (Reply 66):
An interesting thought i just had, and I know the FCC would be loathe to get involved, but if a 0.1 second image of Janet Jackson's breast gets CBS fined $500,000, shouldn't Rush and his network be concerned that the FCC would levy a fine for indecency on public airwaves?

The overwhelming theme is that for a long time there has been a very anti-sex attitude within the federal government. Have more sex, it makes you less angry and fed up with things!!

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 67):
There a lot of things that could be considered preventive of future health expense, including birth control and jogging, but I don't think that justifies the insurance companies being involved in them. Insurance should be for big-ticket items that might otherwise bankrupt you. Incidentals, things that a person should be reasonably capable of paying on their own, should not be in there.

Well if they have any business sense they will cover contraception because pre-natal care, birth costs and the initial care of a new-born which most if not all insurance companies cover will be far more if there are a lot of

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 67):
Bill Mahaer called Sarah Palin a “dumb twat” on his nationally broadcast show, and nine days later, Maher called Palin a “cunt.”, nevermind the whole tea-bagger thing.

Remember Bill Maher was thrown off ABC for saying the 9/11 terrorists weren't cowards because adds were pulled on him. Howard Stern got thrown off terrestrial radio for his content. Both of them are now in broadcasting environments where they don't have sponsors and they are allowed to say whatever they want to as people pay to watch them.

In fact countless times religious groups have told people to cancel their HBO subscriptions for Bill Maher making a joke about the Catholics.

Quoting lewis (Reply 103):
Jehova's witnesses do not believe in blood transfusion. Should it be allowed that all companies and institutions can limit their health coverages based on their religious beliefs, even if the insured does not share their beliefs?

That was what the Blunt amendment was allowing and thank god it failed, but what do I really care I live in a country that is highly sexualized and our standard of living is better.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

seb146

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:26 am

The other thing I want to know is: Why is it acceptable and even applaudable for Rush to call some no-name person a slut but Ed Schultz gets suspended for a week for calling Laura Ingram, a known right-wing pundit, the exact same insult? I mean, people who are regulars in the media are going to be called names. It is expected. Why are we supposed to just brush of what Limbaugh said?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Pellegrine

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:41 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 111):
The other thing I want to know is: Why is it acceptable and even applaudable for Rush to call some no-name person a slut but Ed Schultz gets suspended for a week for calling Laura Ingram, a known right-wing pundit, the exact same insult? I mean, people who are regulars in the media are going to be called names. It is expected. Why are we supposed to just brush of what Limbaugh said?

Because Rush Limbaugh is a nasty, hate mongering, drug addict, inflammatory person while Ed Shultz doesn't use nearly the same degree of ignorant, hateful, prejudiced rhetoric. And this woman ISN'T in the media, that's part of the hullaballoo.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Mir

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:25 am

Quoting lewis (Reply 103):
Should it be allowed that all companies and institutions can limit their health coverages based on their religious beliefs, even if the insured does not share their beliefs?

There was a proposal to do just that - let companies decline coverage based not just on religious beliefs, but "moral convictions" as well. So if you decided you were morally opposed to any aspect of health care, you wouldn't have to cover it (and there's no way that could possibly be abused, is there?   ) The inexplicable thing is that it almost passed - voted down 51-49 in the Senate. How they got 49 people to support that sort of drivel is beyond comprehension.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 111):
The other thing I want to know is: Why is it acceptable and even applaudable for Rush to call some no-name person a slut but Ed Schultz gets suspended for a week for calling Laura Ingram, a known right-wing pundit, the exact same insult?

That is the million dollar question. And I don't recall Ed Schultz asking to be provided with a Laura Ingram sex tape. A week off for Rush seems more than fair. Of course, it won't happen - everyone in the GOP is too cowardly to call for it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jcs17

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:11 am

First of all, when it was first reported, this woman was a 23-year old undergraduate.

As it turns out she's 30 year old third-year law student who is essentially a student activist who doesn't only demand contraceptives from a Catholic institution, but also wants to hold their insurance responsible for sex changes. If Ms. Fluke was really interested in studying law and getting her birth control covered there are probably around 20 institutions with the same requisites of Georgetown that will hand out birth control like candy. She is trying to make a statement for the administration.

Personally, I love birth control. Condoms and babies suck. However, a religious university or organization should have the right to ban it from health plans.

I want Ms. Fluke to take her protest to the Dar Al-Hijrah Mosque in Falls Church/Arlington. I think Ms. Fluke might get a sight of reality.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Pellegrine

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:20 am

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 114):
First of all, when it was first reported, this woman was a 23-year old undergraduate.

As it turns out she's 30 year old third-year law student who is essentially a student activist who doesn't only demand contraceptives from a Catholic institution, but also wants to hold their insurance responsible for sex changes. If Ms. Fluke was really interested in studying law and getting her birth control covered there are probably around 20 institutions with the same requisites of Georgetown that will hand out birth control like candy. She is trying to make a statement for the administration.

Nonsense. And how dare someone bring sex change into this. She is not a tool of the Presidential Administration, nor does any mosque in Virginia have anything to do with this.
oh boy, here we go!!!

jcs17

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:24 am

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 115):
Nonsense. And how dare someone bring sex change into this. She is not a tool of the Presidential Administration, nor does any mosque in Virginia have anything to do with this.

Go to Drudge and you will be factually proven wrong.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Mir

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:37 am

As it turns out she's 30 year old third-year law student

And that's her fault? Unless she claimed she was 23 (which she didn't in her testimony - she said she was a third-year law student), I don't see how misrepresentation of her credentials can be held against her.

However, a religious university or organization should have the right to ban it from health plans.

The First Amendment (Establishment Clause) would say otherwise.

-Mir

bjorn14

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 100):
So, a Protestant or Muslim or Athiest is expected to convert?

No, just follow the rules.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Seems Rush is suffering the wrath of his advertisers:

AP: 4 more Rush Limbaugh advertisers drop out

Quote:

AOL, Heart & Body Extract, Bonobos and Tax Resolution Services Co. brought the total on Monday to 11 advertisers to leave Limbaugh's three-hour show as he sought to stem the exodus of advertisers and fellow conservatives declined to offer him support.

us330

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 113):
when it was first reported, this woman was a 23-year old undergraduate.

As it turns out she's 30 year old third-year law student who is essentially a student activist who doesn't only demand contraceptives from a Catholic institution, but also wants to hold their insurance responsible for sex changes.

When it was first reported--that's not her fault, blame that on the press for getting the facts wrong.

You're missing the point--the issue is Rush's personal attack on her--and his botched apology. Had he just attacked the substance of her argument, then it would have been business as usual.

seb146

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 117):
Quoting seb146 (Reply 100):So, a Protestant or Muslim or Athiest is expected to convert?

In other words: a person attending a Catholic university has to, in essence, become Catholic.

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 119):
You're missing the point--the issue is Rush's personal attack on her--and his botched apology.

Let's focus on that a bit:

From the thread starter:

Quoting Revelation (Thread starter):
In a statement released on his website, Mr Limbaugh apologised to Ms Fluke "for the insulting word choices" and said he "did not mean a personal attack".

And from the article in #118:

Quote:

"I should not have used the language I did, and it was wrong"

So, he says he regrets his choice of words, and he regrets personalizing his attacks made over three days, but he never says he regrets saying that women who accept contraception paid for by insurance or the government are being paid for sex and are thus prostitutes, and that he feels entitled to watch them having sex.

The guy has to go.

lewis

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 109):
That was what the Blunt amendment
Quoting Mir (Reply 112):

There was a proposal to do just that

Thanks for the info.

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 117):

What rules are those? Why be so vague?

Dreadnought

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 119):

You're missing the point--the issue is Rush's personal attack on her--and his botched apology.

The point is if you’re a conservative commentator, call a woman a “slut”, you need to apologize and Republicans are supposed to repudiate you.

If you’re a liberal commentator and you call a woman a “c*nt”, a “dumb twat” and proclaim that the 9-11 hijackers are heroes, not only do you not have to apologize, Barack Obama will take a million dollars from you. And Debbie Wasserman-Schultz will appear on your show.

If Obama called Sandra Fluke after Limbaugh’s comments, why didn’t he call Palin after Maher’s comments?

Kirsten Powers (a democrat) posted this:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...beral-men-need-to-follow-suit.html

It all comes down to this - Each side would love to silence the media advocates of the other side. Unfortunately this will always be the case, and we will never get away from it unless we impose Soviet-style state control over the media. While some of us might want that, I certainly don't. It's an ugly thing, but it's better than the alternative.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 120):
In other words: a person attending a Catholic university has to, in essence, become Catholic.

Oh, balony. I went to a Catholic high school and several of my friends were not catholic, and one not even Christian. One belonged to the same church as (the very un-catholic) Jimmy Swaggert, and he was a true believer. But while at our school they had to accommodate the views and practices around them, and they did so without any problems, out of respect for their host institution, which they chose because they (or their parents) felt would offer them a better education.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

casinterest

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 123):
If Obama called Sandra Fluke after Limbaugh’s comments, why didn’t he call Palin after Maher’s comments?

So instead of busting on Limbaugh , you continue to make this other people's issue?
Palin wasn't an invited guest in front of a congressional panel about real issues, that got verbally asaulted by Limbaugh a mass PUBLIC media mouthpiece How about that one?

//Slight edit .

Also remember the fact that Limbaugh didn't apologize until after his Advertisers started threatening to leave. I don't think he had any intention of apologizing until there were serious dollar signs attached.

[Edited 2012-03-06 09:00:30]
Where ever you go, there you are.

Mir

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:09 pm

If you’re a liberal commentator and you call a woman a “c*nt”, a “dumb twat” and proclaim that the 9-11 hijackers are heroes, not only do you not have to apologize, Barack Obama will take a million dollars from you. And Debbie Wasserman-Schultz will appear on your show.

First of all, Bill Maher did not call the 9/11 hijackers heroes. He said they weren't cowards - there's a big difference. And he still lost his show on ABC for it. I fail to see how he got off scot free.

But keep trying to make this about people other than Rush. Ed Schultz has been suspended for some of his comments. Keith Olbermann has been suspended for some of his. I can't think of a single conservative talking head who has ever faced similar disciplinary action for their comments, despite the fact that their rhetoric is just as nasty, if not more so. Why is that?

-Mir

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:26 pm

If you’re a liberal commentator and you call a woman a ...

Limbaugh went beyond simple name calling.

It's not as if a liberal called Palin a name, it's as if a liberal said he was entitled to watch Palin have sex because she took government pay, and Rush has never apologized for this aspect of his comments.

What else does he feel entitled to? Live streaming video from the women's showers in all government facilities? After all, the taxpayers are paying for them too.

Rush has to go.

zckls04

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 pm

If Rush could deliver an actual straightforward apology I might have more sympathy. But this is what we get:

“In fighting [liberals] on this issue last week, I became like them. Against my own instincts… I descended to their level when I used those two words to describe Sandra Fluke.”

Oh I see- it's the liberals' fault- they made you do it. 
Four Granavox Turbines!

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 127):

And it's just the bad words themselves, not the idea that women taking government money are being paid for sex, and that Rush is therefore entitled to watch.

D L X

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:08 pm

If you’re a liberal commentator and you call a woman a “c*nt”, a “dumb twat” and proclaim that the 9-11 hijackers are heroes, not only do you not have to apologize, Barack Obama will take a million dollars from you. And

Selective memory strikes again.

Ed Schultz.

David Letterman.

David Shuster.

And let's not forget, Bill Maher's comments (which not only were in agreement with his conservative guest Dinesh D'Souza's views) got his show canceled.

Extremely selective memory means intellectual dishonesty.

Did you read this article, Charles? If not, stop bellyaching and read it.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/05/opinio...augh-fairness/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

[Edited 2012-03-06 10:31:41]

Tugger

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 127):

That's the thing that is driving me crazy about the Republican's and their supporting media channels (by the way, how do they not also considered themselves "mainstream media" in a country that is in fact a right leaning country?) right now, the fact that they are blaming EVERYONE else for their actions and problems and not just taking responsibility, righting the ship and moving on. I thought Republican's were all about personal responsibility?

I was listening to the radio this morning and the show host was prattling on about how it is the media faults for this and that and the left wing's faults for the other thing, that it was becasue of "them" that the Republican's were veering of course and off topic and not focusing on the economy or whatever.

It's not anyone else fault for the things that are going on in the Republican party right now. It's the Republican's fault.

Jeez... Sure Rush, the evil liberals are causing this, not you.
Just own up to it for gods sake!

I personally think Ms. Fluke should sue him for slander. Of course then Rush and the Right wing media will pile on her, calling greedy (oooo, then Rush could call her a "greedy slut"! There's an idea!), and that she in just in it for the money, trying to live of of other peoples success, etc. Meanwhile Rush truly libeled and defamed her:

Quote:
There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person first must prove that the statement was false. Second, that person must prove that the statement caused harm. And, third, they must prove that the statement was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. In the case of a celebrity or public official trying to prove libel, they must prove the first three steps, and must (in the United States) prove the statement was made with the intent to do harm, or with reckless disregard for the truth. Usually specifically referred to as "proving malice".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation#Libel

And he should pay up as money is what he understands, what makes an impact upon him and makes him think about what he is saying (as you can tell since once his advertisers began dropping him he offered an "apology", if it can be called that). And his apology doesn't address the problem the slander caused. He has impacted her life. She was a normal private citizen, and was doing her civic duty when she went before the committee to speak. She wasn't doing anything bad, or uncalled for, or abnormal. She was being a good citizen and look what she got for it.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

D L X

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Looks like some radio stations are starting to pull him off the air for this.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...s-advertisers-jump-ship/?hpt=hp_t3

Dreadnought

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 128):
And it's just the bad words themselves, not the idea that women taking government money are being paid for sex, and that Rush is therefore entitled to watch.

Jeez, you're still stuck up on the joke aspect of it?

George Carlin:

Quote:
believe you can joke about anything. It all depends on how you construct the joke. What the exaggeration is. What the exaggeration is. Because every joke needs one exaggeration. Every joke needs one thing to be way out of proportion. Give you an example. Did you ever see a news story like this in the paper? Every now and then you run into a story, says, "some guy broke into a house, stole a lot of things, and while he was in there, he raped an 81 year old woman." And I'm thinking to myself, "WHY??? What the fuck kind of a social life does this guy have?" I want to say, "why did you do that?" "Well she was coming on to me. We were dancing and I got horney. Hey, she was asking for it, she had on a tight bathrobe." I'll say, "Jesus Christ, be a little fucking selective next time will you?"

Sure it was tasteless, but you seem to act as if he was being serious.

Mir

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 132):
you're still stuck up on the joke aspect of it?

You seem to be living under the delusion that calling something a joke grants it immunity from being offensive.

-Mir

Tugger

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:46 pm

OK, let's try this, what if the jokes or one of a similar ilk were made directed toward you?

And then the person that says them comes back and says" "Kidding!! I'm just kidding! Jokes are funny and no one should get hung up about them."

Even if they do impact your life.....

And I am not on the airwaves nationwide and being re-quoted by various new outlets.....

But seriously Dreadnought, I am not out to be disrespectful to you. I just don't get how you can just excuse it and accept it because someone says "It was only a joke!". Not all jokes are OK, especially when said on a nationwide program by someone that is not understood to be a comedian and therefore making statements that are humorous only..

Tugg
Edited to remove comments I think are just not that nice.

[Edited 2012-03-06 11:33:25]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

zckls04

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:50 pm

From the above article, Rush said yesterday of the advertisers leaving his show:

"I'm sorry to see them go. They have profited handsomely from you. These advertisers who have split the scene have done very well from their access to you, my audience on this program. That's a business decision and it's theirs alone to make. They've decided they don't want you or your business anymore."

Now it's the advertisers who are in the wrong for spurning the listeners!
Four Granavox Turbines!

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm missing your point. Thank goodness Rush wasn't talking about raping an 80 year old woman he just robbed?

Sure it was tasteless, but you seem to act as if he was being serious.

I don't know what goes through is drug-addled mind, and neither do you, but, again, he hasn't retracted his statements, just the language he used and the fact that it was a personal attack.

us330

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:04 pm

The point is if you’re a conservative commentator, call a woman a “slut”, you need to apologize and Republicans are supposed to repudiate you.

Read the David Frum article posted on CNN.

It all depends on how you construct the joke. What the exaggeration is. What the exaggeration is. Because every joke needs one exaggeration. Every joke needs one thing to be way out of proportion.

Your own words: "it all depends on how you construct the joke. What the exaggeration is." If you do think this was a joke, then it was a poorly constructed one--considering you set it up by launching a personal attack on someone--and it wasn't even funny--the statement was just absurd.

I know of plenty of jokes, ones that are actually funny, that if told on the airwaves, would likely result in an immediate uproar because they are incredibly offensive.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 135):
Now it's the advertisers who are in the wrong for spurning the listeners!

Hey, it's a free market! Talk about cognitive dissonance--Rush claims that people should be personally responsible for their own actions, yet he doesn't take responsibility for his own actions.

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 137):

Hey, it's a free market! Talk about cognitive dissonance--Rush claims that people should be personally responsible for their own actions, yet he doesn't take responsibility for his own actions.

Indeed. Rush said "they've decided they don't want you [the listeners]" when the reality is the advertisers don't want Rush!

ER757

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:36 pm

I never cease to be amazed and amused at the outrage over what some windbag with a radio or TV has to say, whether it be Rush, Bill Maher, Glenn Beck, Keith Olbermann or any of the other blowhards out there. I stopped paying serious attention to anything that buffoon Limbaugh has to say years ago and if anyone still does, then the outrage should be directed at yourself. Same goes for his sponsors - surely they must have known what they were getting and now all of a sudden they are bailing out on him? What he says gets him ratings, which is just what his sponsor should crave. As for Maher, he doesn't have "sponsors" so to speak being on HBO but same deal in that HBO must have known what they were getting with this loose cannon and if he delivers ratings for HBO, they can charge cable companies more to carry their network.

Geezer

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 5):
Really? Even when treating a medical condition like PCOS or severe dysmenorrhea or menorrhagia?

Doc, one of these days when we have nothing to argue about, maybe you should sit down and write out an explanation about what all of those big words mean. ( Here I thought prostate cancer was bad; I sure hope I never get "dysmenorrhea" ! ) ( or Psysfloogerheimers Syndrome )

Quoting Revelation (Reply 8):
I'm amazed you could find some sort of point underneath all those incredible attacks.

Incredible attacks ? Did you say incredible attacks ? (LMAO) I will wager (and i NEVER gamble) that if you were an eye witness to a bank robbery, and the female bank robber came running out, pistol in hand, if Rush Limbaugh called her a "bank robber", you'd call it an "incredible attack" ! Why ? because you can't stand Rush Limbaugh ! Do I think this is just slightly "biased" ? Uhhhh, yeah.......

Quoting mariner (Reply 10):
If you have, or ever have, a daughter, I think you should pray that she is never subjected to such foul-mouthed publicly stated vitriol.

And here we have the old "if you ever......" line of reasoning; as it happens mariner, I DO happen to have 3 daughters;

All three of them went to college, didn't "bang" any horny frat boys while there, got out, got married, and did all their "sexual activity" with their husbands while "creating" my 6 grand children.

I WATCHED Sandra Fluke "testify" on TV; (maybe you didn't ?) I can promise you this; everyone who watched and listened to her "explain" why she must have so much out of wedlock "excitement" was either calling he a slut, or else THINKING it ! I was merely thinking it, (as I was at home at the time, so there would have been no one present to hear me if I did call her anything. (BTW, how much difference do you think there is between the two? ) (Calling and thinking)

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 16):
While Ms. Fluke did not deserve the names she was called by Limbaugh, that being said, I feel for no one who attends a $50,000 a year school and cries that they can't afford birth control. Furthermore, she knew this up front, as her choice to attend Georgetown was to change this single policy.

I sure won't argue this point, however, I would add..........why do you suppose she was there in the first place ? She was a paid stooge / useful idiot for Nancy Pelosi to attempt to "deflect" interest away from the pretender-in-chief's screw-ups, while trying to make Rush Limbaugh look bad. Instead, she made herself look like just what Rush called her........a VERY immoral female ! (So sorry if the truth hurts ! )

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 16):
Yea, that's to hard for a 3rd year law school student to figure out. If this was my daughter I'd be climbing in the biggest hole I could find and stay there until this blows over. Cause I'd be plenty embarrassed that my daughter has just exposed to the world that she needs sex to survive school and is (a) too poor to pay for it while attending a $50K/yr school, or (b) too stupid to figure out other solutions.

Fortunately, I was never obliged to "crawl in a hole" while my daughters were going to college; (fortunately for them, they had a very "moral"mother who passed on her "values" to them. ( It would be interesting to see what kind of family Flake....'er Fluke came from ) (my guess would be 60's hippies)

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Newark727

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting geezer (Reply 140):
She was a paid stooge / useful idiot for Nancy Pelosi to attempt to "deflect" interest away from the pretender-in-chief's screw-ups, while trying to make Rush Limbaugh look bad.

"Make him look bad?" These are the words of Limbaugh himself! Is the fact that he spoke somehow not his fault?

I will also point out that as far as I can tell, if it's the pill, the amount of preventative birth control you need has nothing to do with the amount of sex you have.

[Edited 2012-03-06 13:57:34]

helvknight

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Doc, one of these days when we have nothing to argue about, maybe you should sit down and write out an explanation about what all of those big words mean. ( Here I thought prostate cancer was bad; I sure hope I never get "dysmenorrhea" ! ) ( or Psysfloogerheimers Syndrome )

I think before you qualify for that one you'll need to make a quick trip to BKK

Quote:
Dysmenorrhea (or dysmenorrhoea) is a gynecological medical condition of pain during menstruation that interferes with daily activities, as defined by ACOG[1] and others.[2] Still, dysmenorrhea is often defined simply as menstrual pain,[3][4] or at least menstrual pain that is excessive.[5] This article uses the dysmenorrhea definition of menstrual pain that interferes with daily activities, and uses the term menstrual pain as any pain during menstruation whether it is normal or abnormal.

Ouch.

As for the folks who are pushing RW talking points about Schultz, Maher et al, one thing that I learned at my mother's knee

Quote:
Two wrongs don't make a right
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

zckls04

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 137):
Your own words: "it all depends on how you construct the joke. What the exaggeration is." If you do think this was a joke, then it was a poorly constructed one

Also as far as I know, most jokes don't last 3 days.

Incredible attacks ? Did you say incredible attacks ? (LMAO) I will wager (and i NEVER gamble) that if you were an eye witness to a bank robbery, and the female bank robber came running out, pistol in hand, if Rush Limbaugh called her a "bank robber", you'd call it an "incredible attack" ! Why ? because you can't stand Rush Limbaugh !

Nope. I'm guessing this explains why you never gamble!

I WATCHED Sandra Fluke "testify" on TV; (maybe you didn't ?) I can promise you this; everyone who watched and listened to her "explain" why she must have so much out of wedlock "excitement" was either calling he a slut, or else THINKING it !

I didn't. Nor did anybody I know; male or female. And I know a broad mix of both conservatives and liberals. A woman who has- and even horror of horrors *enjoys* sex as much as a man is not automatically a slut anymore.

Here's her opening statement. Still not sure how any of this merit's Limbaugh's three day attack:

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politic...gress-letterhead-2nd%20hearing.pdf

I sure won't argue this point, however, I would add..........why do you suppose she was there in the first place ? She was a paid stooge / useful idiot for Nancy Pelosi to attempt to "deflect" interest away from the pretender-in-chief's screw-ups, while trying to make Rush Limbaugh look bad.

So Nancy Pelosi hired her? Did she also force Rush to make those comments? Bear in mind this wouldn't have been much of a story if he hadn't. Did she pay him as well? This seems totally far-fetched to me.
Four Granavox Turbines!

casinterest

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 143):
A woman who has- and even horror of horrors *enjoys* sex as much as a man is not automatically a slut anymore.

Yeah, Rush is so against her sexual activity, that he tries to shame her by calling her names. that he asked for video's for him and his viewer's own shameless sexual gratification.
If that isn't a double standard, I don't know what is.
Where ever you go, there you are.

DocLightning

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Doc, one of these days when we have nothing to argue about, maybe you should sit down and write out an explanation about what all of those big words mean.

They mean that I spent seven years (plus the five I spent in college and grad school) studying medicine and we doctors get really annoyed with non-physicians telling us what treatments we can and can't prescribe. We also get annoyed with a public that seems to want to demand to have control over complicated individual medical issues like this one.

I WATCHED Sandra Fluke "testify" on TV; (maybe you didn't ?) I can promise you this; everyone who watched and listened to her "explain" why she must have so much out of wedlock "excitement" was either calling he a slut, or else THINKING it

Really? I've carefully read her testimony a few times and I have to question your grasp on reality if you mean this. Not once did she even mention sex. Perhaps we're talking about different testimonies?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Mir

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:39 pm

I would add..........why do you suppose she was there in the first place ? She was a paid stooge / useful idiot for Nancy Pelosi to attempt to "deflect" interest away from the pretender-in-chief's screw-ups, while trying to make Rush Limbaugh look bad.

You're just not in touch with reality. Rush had nothing to do with this until he injected himself into the issue with his comments. Pelosi had no reason to do anything to try and get him involved. The real reason she was there is that Pelosi (correctly) determined that a hearing on birth control medication should include someone without a Y chromosome - the Republicans said no, and thus a separate hearing had to be called.

-Mir

lewis

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 146):
The real reason she was there is that Pelosi (correctly) determined that a hearing on birth control medication should include someone without a Y chromosome - the Republicans said no, and thus a separate hearing had to be called.

They should have made it more impartial though, maybe have a woman from the other side of the political spectrum. Someone like Bristol Palin would have been ideal to talk about "out of wedlock excitement" and extra-curricular activities / hobbies without being on the pill - or abstinence as they call it up there.   

seb146

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:09 am

But while at our school they had to accommodate the views and practices around them, and they did so without any problems, out of respect for their host institution, which they chose because they (or their parents) felt would offer them a better education.

So, why, then, is Georgetown paying ITS STAFF for contraception? Yes, the health insurance offered to ITS EMPLOYEES covers contraception. At a Catholic university. But not for the students? Really? Explain that one, please.

Dreadnought

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:22 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 148):

So, why, then, is Georgetown paying ITS STAFF for contraception? Yes, the health insurance offered to ITS EMPLOYEES covers contraception. At a Catholic university. But not for the students? Really? Explain that one, please.

Because it chose to. Where is your problem? Or is your problem that employers have a choice? I suppose in your ideal world we should leave all major decisions in the hands of a benevolent government.

Kind of like the logic that dictates that the way to get the costs of healthcare under control is to put it in the hands of the government, in spite of the fact that government has a unique and spectacular track record of making things MORE expensive, rather than less.

Back to Ms Fluke. She apparently also wants mandatory insurance to cover sex-change surgery. She may not be a slut, but she is a loon.

http://thecollegepolitico.com/sandra...reassignment-and-health-insurance/