us330

RE: Which Cuisines Did You Find Disappointing?

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 17):
Sorry, but I just CANNOT put "taco" and "tasty" in the same sentence . . .

You've been eating the wrong tacos then. If you are ever in Dallas, visit one of the local Tex-Mex places (Even local chains count--I'm not talking Chili's--more like El Fenix), and order brisket tacos. My mouth is watering as I type this.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 46):
The only people I hear that make such a big deal about Vietnam and Vietnamese food are the hippie/backpacker types that don't eat good food anyway

I happen to love vietnamese food, but I do think it is a bit too salty. Its basic and uncomplicated.

Bongodog1964

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Quoting vegetables2001 (Reply 6):
Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 4):Mexican. We were expecting plenty of hot food with plenty of chlli, along with Spanish influenced dishes, everywhere. We never once came across chilli con carne on our travels (apparently it's a Texan invention), which was a bit of a surprise -- and disappointment. Also, if I never, ever see a tortilla chip again I won't be too upset.

And don't even start me on refried beans . . .
What did you get instead?
Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 9):
Quoting vegetables2001 (Reply 6):What did you get instead?
Oh we had plenty of steaks, salads and tortillas -- and enough of the latter to put us off for life! The surprising thing about Mexican food is that doesn't come to the table hot (as in spicy). Chopped chillies and sauces are on every table so you can spice-up your food as much as you wish. Refried beans seem to come with almost everything -- even breakfast. They are not particularly tasty -- in fact not tasty at all -- and when one of my friends said they looked like cat vomit we went off them for the rest of the trip.

We were taken by relatives to an "authentic" mexican restaurant in San Diego, the food was very bland, compared to the UK interpretation, In fact it was bland to the point of tasteless. The added problem was that it was virtually two dimensional, it just resembled as said above cat vomit on your plate, and there were no bright colours, everything was just warying colours of beige.

Rara

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 49):

Ahhh... "sofkee" is another word for "grits". I had no idea there was another word for "grits". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

And I didn't know there was another word for sofkee.   Thanks.

I learned almost all of my "early English" in Mississippi, after which I had to almost completely re-learn the language. Some of what I considered normal was entirely incomprehensible anywhere else.  
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

luckyone

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 21):
Ah yes, I forgot the cuisine of the French West Indies. Great ingredients and very little they make of it.

Having lived in the Caribbean, it always amazed me how something that took so long to cook, and smelled so amazing could taste like boiled cardboard.

Quoting Rara (Reply 52):
I learned almost all of my "early English" in Mississippi,

Ahhh, now it makes sense!  
Quoting Rara (Reply 52):
after which I had to almost completely re-learn the language. Some of what I considered normal was entirely incomprehensible anywhere else.

You are not alone there. Like everywhere else, there are dialects of Southern English that are incomprehensible even to other Southerners. Georgia and Tennessee are good examples because one part of the state is mountains and thick hillbilly accents predominate and the other part of the state is flat and the accent is completely different. People from the two parts often have difficulty understanding each other. Living in between them (geographically speaking) can actually be quite amusing, and having family from both is a real trip.

I must agree with an above poster about Russian cuisine. Very heavy, full of fat and cream. It just sits in my stomach like a rock.

vegetables2001
Topic Author

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 41):
There is no comparison with the UK since the cuisines of immigrants from 180 countries have blended over the last half century to produce a cornucopia of variety, extremely demanding customers, emphasis on fresh local ingredients, marriage with good wine and the full range of dining options from great asian hawker places through cafes, bars, bistros, to fine dining restaurants.

Oh, please!

Certainly London, outside of SoHO and a few other pockets is not as good.

Soho? A place for good food? Are you sure?
A306,319,333 ATR72 BAC113/5, B703/704,717,721,732/3/4/5/7/8,741/1/4,757,763,773/E, DC8-6,9-3/5,10-30, DC106

Superfly

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:53 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 53):
Quoting Rara (Reply 21):
Ah yes, I forgot the cuisine of the French West Indies. Great ingredients and very little they make of it.

Having lived in the Caribbean, it always amazed me how something that took so long to cook, and smelled so amazing could taste like boiled cardboard.

Have you guys tried grilled skirt steak, fried plantains with black beans? All that with a mojito is a darn good meal.

Quoting luckyone (Reply 53):
I must agree with an above poster about Russian cuisine. Very heavy, full of fat and cream. It just sits in my stomach like a rock.

I like beef stroganoff as well as chicken Kiev (ok I know it's Ukrainian).
Bring back the Concorde

MD-90

Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:48 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 36):
I found New Orleans very disappointing with food too. That creole and cajun image was just an image...
Maybe somewhere on the countryside great atstes exist but the restaurants in New Orleans sure didnt show that.

Do you remember the names of any of the places you went to? NOLA has tourist traps like any other city but man they have a bunch of outstanding restaurants.

TSS

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:50 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 56):
NOLA has tourist traps like any other city but man they have a bunch of outstanding restaurants.

A good rule of thumb for almost anywhere is "If you want to try authentic local cuisine, eat where the locals eat".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

airportugal310

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:13 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 57):
A good rule of thumb for almost anywhere is "If you want to try authentic local cuisine, eat where the locals eat".

A true rule of thumb that cannot go unheeded. Abide by this and I feel that one can't go wrong!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

jcs17

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:17 am

I find Vietnamese food to be awful. I do enjoy dishes from Southeast Asia in general, but Vietnamese cuisine is just so foreign to my taste. The use of leaves in warm dishes and soups is too foreign for me. Right when you're eating a piece of tasty meat in Pho, you encounter a warm, very chewy leaf, which is so foreign to my palate. I find Banh Mi to be terrible too. I'm used to iceberg or even a darker lettuce used in a sub, but not a leafy, heavy piece of lettuce. Traditional Scandinavian foods are also pretty awful with the exception of leverpostei, which is next to next to orgasm in the dictionary, when spread on a fresh piece of bread. It's a shame I can't even a retailer that sells it in New York.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

airportugal310

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:19 am

wrong post....filler.....

[Edited 2012-03-25 22:20:28]
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

sccutler

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 50):

You've been eating the wrong tacos then. If you are ever in Dallas, visit one of the local Tex-Mex places (Even local chains count--I'm not talking Chili's--more like El Fenix), and order brisket tacos. My mouth is watering as I type this.

Good advice.

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 51):

We were taken by relatives to an "authentic" mexican restaurant in San Diego, the food was very bland, compared to the UK interpretation, In fact it was bland to the point of tasteless. The added problem was that it was virtually two dimensional, it just resembled as said above cat vomit on your plate, and there were no bright colours, everything was just warying colours of beige.

This was a big shock for my wife and me when we moved to southern California from Texas - the food marketed as "Mexican" was just as you describe - utterly bland, devoid of flavor, texture or visual appeal. I do not know if this is because of the demands of the California market, perhaps a perceived resistance to spicy fare (which I discount, based upon the prevalence of darned good and very lively Chinese food), or a difference in what is typical food in western Mexico as opposed to the parts of Mexico closer to Texas (on which I merely speculate, being completely unqualified to comment further).

---

As for the entire thread, I offer the following:

This is interesting.

Growing up in Dallas, we ate a lot of “Mexican.” food, and it was pretty much always prepared by folks from Mexico. We also traveled to Mexico a lot, and the food was not a lot different than that which we got in Dallas and called “Mexican food.” This was before the dawn of Mexican mega-resorts like Can Cun, Q.Roo.

Later, I found that we really were getting food which was generally more spicy than most (though certainly not all) of the food we got in Mexico, and it was what we now call “Tex Mex.” Not a bad deal, though, and in my home, we firmly believe that almost anything worth eating can be made better by the judicious application of jalapenos. I’ve been told that my view will change as I age, but at 52, I remain committed. Jalapenos are also a very healthy food.

For those who do not like refritos, I contend that they have gotten bad refrieds, which is too bad.

And tamales. A good tamale is a work of art. We have tamales at Christmas, much more interesting than turkey or ham.

For those of you who found New Orleans cooking unsatisfying, I would be interested in where you ate; my bride and I will diet for a few weeks prior to a NOLA trip, solely for the purpose of making room for some of the exceptional food we’ve found there. Perhaps we have been lucky, or maybe we just don’t know what is good. One thing is for sure - I have found no where in the service in a restaurant can hold a candle to that received in New Orleans.

As I age, though, I find myself looking for a new and better food paradigm (so to speak). We’ve spent our lives being conditioned to equate large portions with good food, and that is not a good thing. In addition, as Anthony Bourdain observes, chefs use butter to make food taste good - lots and lots of butter.. So the challenge is to change the way I eat, to select food which is satisfying for the flavor, rather than for the quantity and bulk. The use of seasoning and spices, interesting combinations of flavor and texture, things like that. Right now, my general trend is to some of the Asian foods, Thai in particular, as well as a fair dose of Japanese fare.

The goal is, through adjusting portion habits, and improving the quality over quantity, to eat less food, but enjoy what I eat more. Any comments from you all on this?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

na

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Greek, Mexican, Nigerian are three national cuisines I can live without.

ozglobal

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Quoting vegetables2001 (Reply 54):
There is no comparison with the UK since the cuisines of immigrants from 180 countries have blended over the last half century to produce a cornucopia of variety, extremely demanding customers, emphasis on fresh local ingredients, marriage with good wine and the full range of dining options from great asian hawker places through cafes, bars, bistros, to fine dining restaurants.

Oh, please!

Yes, really. I mean every word. I visit London several times a year.

Quoting vegetables2001 (Reply 54):

Certainly London, outside of SoHO and a few other pockets is not as good.

Soho? A place for good food? Are you sure?

Not for 'fine dining', but for some good diversity and accessible quality casual dining, which was the context.

Morano in Mayfair is good for fine dining for example.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

MD-90

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Quoting sccutler (Reply 61):
For those of you who found New Orleans cooking unsatisfying, I would be interested in where you ate; my bride and I will diet for a few weeks prior to a NOLA trip, solely for the purpose of making room for some of the exceptional food we’ve found there. Perhaps we have been lucky, or maybe we just don’t know what is good. One thing is for sure - I have found no where in the service in a restaurant can hold a candle to that received in New Orleans.

I was last there in May 2010 and loved practically everywhere we ate, and got to eat at some "name" places that I'd never been to before, like Commander's Palace, a muffaletta from Central Grocery, Jacques-Imo's, po'boys from both Domileses and Guy's, a really good Mexican place that was a short walk from our hotel (The Columns on St. Charles), etc.

luckyone

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:28 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 55):
Have you guys tried grilled skirt steak, fried plantains with black beans? All that with a mojito is a darn good meal.

I do actually like grilled plantains. Fried plantains, to me, just act like an oil sponge. You cut into one and it just oozes grease.

Superfly

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:09 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 65):
I do actually like grilled plantains. Fried plantains, to me, just act like an oil sponge. You cut into one and it just oozes grease.

I like fried plantains slightly crispy. I made mines at home and I think I made them better than any local restaurant because I would add a little brown sugar and fry them until crispy around the edges.
I hate mushy food and the plantains sold at the 2 local Caribbean restaurants in SFO made them too mushy.
It depends on how you cut them as well. I'd cut them very then so they were the size of a quater. Many restaurants cut them so their long and thick, making it difficult for the oils to cook through the plantain.
Cuting them thin makes them quicker and easier to cook.
Bring back the Concorde

sr117

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:53 am

Count me in the camp that says that "There's always something tasty to be had !"

I've never found a place where I wasn't able to find a local dish I found tasty, or at the very least a great tasting local twist to international cuisine.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 4):
Mexican. We were expecting plenty of hot food with plenty of chlli, along with Spanish influenced dishes, everywhere. We never once came across chilli con carne on our travels (apparently it's a Texan invention), which was a bit of a surprise -- and disappointment. Also, if I never, ever see a tortilla chip again I won't be too upset.

There are indeed plates that consist of beef/pork/chicken with chili sauce, did you try Pozole? Birria? Cochinita Pibil? anythng in a pasilla/chipotle/guajillo sauce? perhaps if you ever do come back I can give you a few names of dishes that might be of interest to you, now, if you were expecting ground beef with tomato, cumin and yellow cheese on top, yes, that is certainly -not- Mexican food : )

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 9):
Oh we had plenty of steaks, salads and tortillas -- and enough of the latter to put us off for life! The surprising thing about Mexican food is that doesn't come to the table hot (as in spicy). Chopped chillies and sauces are on every table so you can spice-up your food as much as you wish. Refried beans seem to come with almost everything -- even breakfast.

Tortillas are ubiquitous in Mexican cuisine much like rice is to Japanese food or naan bread is to Indian food. There are also plenty of dishes that come to your table hot too, however, as you correctly mention, there are usually plenty of sauces and chilies on the side that you can add so you can adjust your dish as you please. I personally find it is much wiser to put the chili on the side so you can add the specific flavor that you want, there are different kinds of chilies with varying degrees of heat and flavors. You can add as much or as little as you want and pick the one you like the most. Much easier vs trying a one size fits all approach, even in Mexico there's lots of people who do not like spicy food or with different tolerances, so that's why usually the spice is on the side.

Oh and, beans, yeah, they look like baby poo, but I love them : ) appearance be damned ! If you want unpleasant looking beans... check out Japanese natto, it looks ugly but if you give it a chance, it's not really bad tasting at all : )

zippyjet

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:04 am

Personally, I have a hard time finding any one cuisine totally disappointing so, I'll give you my spin on this. My let downs deal more with restaurants and types of restaurants. In no particular order.

I've found that eateries that have claymation models of their food are overpriced and underwhelming in taste. (Many of the over the top outdoor fancy schmancy cafe's in South Beach (Miami Beach) The older and established local joints beat these chic trendoid wannabes bigtime.

Blues City Cafe in Memphis: Supposedly the best ribs in Memphis. I don't think so the place is basically like a chain restaurant with prices that are akin to the pricey stuff you'd find in New York, Boston and Los Angeles and DC. The ribs were fair and burnt. The portions were stingy.

Olive Garden: Please! calling their drab dreck crap Italian cuisine is a slap in the face to real Italian restaurants. Costco Lasagna blows Olive Garden's crap to shame.

Chilli's: Some of the worst tasting burgers out there.

Denny's: How can you say boring? A small step abouve college dining hall chow.

Bob's Big Boy: I think they are extinct. I wouldn't be surprised.

Pizza Hut, Pappa Johns, Dominos: Di Giorno and Freschetta from your grocer's freezer is as good or better than these eateries and less expensive. Heck, I'd pony up some $$$ and order Giordano's kick ass pizza from Chicago and eat it in the comfort of my own kitchen.

Phillip's Sea Food: Not bad but they don't represent the really good seafood that abounds in my fair state of Maryland.

Pizza Hut:
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Asturias

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:08 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 11):
Norwegian, it's just stodgy crap. I swear Norwegians only eat because they have to, they certainly don't eat for pleasure.

Grandiosa is the national dish and is never eaten for pleasure. Either because one has to or for hand to hand combat 

asturias
Tonight we fly

cws818

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:44 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 11):
Norwegian, it's just stodgy crap. I swear Norwegians only eat because they have to, they certainly don't eat for pleasure.

You have a sharp, incisive mind, but praising anything Norwegian would certainly be playing against type!
volgende halte...Station Hollands Spoor

squared

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:22 am

Wow, a lot of people dislike Vietnamese food... possibly because their only exposure to Viet food is Pho and Banh Mi...

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 59):
I find Vietnamese food to be awful. I do enjoy dishes from Southeast Asia in general, but Vietnamese cuisine is just so foreign to my taste. The use of leaves in warm dishes and soups is too foreign for me. Right when you're eating a piece of tasty meat in Pho, you encounter a warm, very chewy leaf, which is so foreign to my palate. I find Banh Mi to be terrible too. I'm used to iceberg or even a darker lettuce used in a sub, but not a leafy, heavy piece of lettuce.

Banh Mi does not have lettuce. Traditional Banh Mi Thap Cam consists of a crisp french baguette, with mayonaise, pâte, cold cuts, chili peppers, cucumbers, cilantro and pickled daikon and carrots. It should be savoury, a little bit sweet and sour, a bit spicy. It should be a bit crunchy, with soft innards. A well made banh mi is well balanced.

Pho comes in many styles. Southern style Pho does indeed include a number of accoutrements, but you add what you like to the broth. Northern style pho tends to lack the fresh ingredients and might be more to your taste.

In any case, Pho is very overrated. While somewhat popular in Vietnam, it as not as ubiquitous as the Viet restaurants in North America would suggest. My favourite dishes are probably Hu Tieu My Tho (or Nam Vang), Bun Bo Hue, Bun Rieu, and Banh Xeo - something I rarely see patrons order at Vietnamese restaurants... perhaps a bit too hidden in the menus for people to find.

rampart

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:07 am

I'm hard pressed to think of a cuisine that is disappointing. I've liked all of them. I do admit to being confused about some local specialities of the US Midwest, some of the combinations seem unnecessary. I don't see the point of ladling chili on spaghetti, or incorporating french fries and cole slaw into a sandwich.

-Rampart

Jonathanxxxx

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:11 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 13):

Living in Miami, we've learned that when you want goood Cuban food either your Abuela has to make it or you go to the least name-brand of them all. The bigger brands like La Carreta, Versailles, Bongos etc. are all pretty bad. The less popular ones tend to be the best.

B777LRF

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:23 pm

There are supposedly 5 big kitchens in the world; the French, Italian, Turkish, Mexican and Chinese. Everything else are supposed to be variations thereof, or too plain awful to be called anything but nurishment - most of the Northern European, North American, African and Oceanic kitchens can be safely lobbed in that pot.

I'll sort of eat everything and wouldn't shy away from something unusual, provided it's been properly cooked by someone who knows what he or she is doing. Bugs on a stick from a stall in Bangkok is not, therefore, something I'd sink my teeth into.

But the one kitchen that I don't get, and certainly don't understand is supposedly one of the big 5, is the Chinese. Tried it all over the world, including China, and while there's nothing particularly wrong about it, it ain't fine food to me. It's the kind of food one would whip up, if having to serve a platoon of hungry guardsmen in a hurry.

It's a little known fact, but most chefs in Africa outside Jo'burg, Cape Town, Nairobi and Addis can't cook for toffee. They'll murder any fresh ingredients, including the reduction of meat to it's carbon components. They may not murder it enough, as there's a better than average chance a nasty bug will be part of your supper. Not a big fan of that, but at least it has charm and sometimes you're lucky. Chinese food got no charm, and it's always the same blandness.
Signature. You just read one.

Aloha717200

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Not a country's cuisine, but more of a regional thing. I was really disappointed with the seafood offerings along the Oregon and Washington coast. I'd heard stuff like "best clam chowder in the world" and "you'll never eat better fish".

Well, I've had much better seafood 2,000 miles from any shore. Much of it was tasteless, more of it tasted like the way fish guts smell.

I was also disappointed in scottish fish n chips. It was better in England. Haggis, strangely enough, was much tastier than I expected!

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 69):
Grandiosa is the national dish and is never eaten for pleasure. Either because one has to or for hand to hand combat

You know they sell 50 million Grandiosa's every year, so that means every Norwegian eats 10 of them on average, that's only Grandiosa, there are several more frozen cardboard with processed crap on them pizzas, Norwegians love them, which IMO proves Norwegians don't understand food and how enjoyable eating can be.

Quoting cws818 (Reply 70):

You have a sharp, incisive mind, but praising anything Norwegian would certainly be playing against type!

I like traditional Norwegian Christmas food, happy?

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 75):
I was also disappointed in scottish fish n chips. It was better in England. Haggis, strangely enough, was much tastier than I expected!

If you want the best fish and chips you have to go to New Zealand or Australia.

shamrock604

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:05 pm

Our colonies Scotland (yeah go independent pls), Wales, Ireland, NZ and Australia have unfortunately gotten our heritage.

It's quite alright, i'm afraid our own culinary heritage was pretty awful to begin with, so you could really not have damaged it much more!  

However, - these days, we have done a rather good job of pulling ourselves out of the culinary gutter, with (admittedly) a French influenced "Modern Irish" type of cuisine developing. There are some simply excellent restaurants here (and no, Pub food is not included) that are the rival of anywhere I have eaten.

Cuisines I was disappointed in?

Australian. Any produce I tried was bland. While I ate some wonderfully presented food, it just lacked flavour. Sorry.

Canadian. Sorry, just a bit on the stodgy side. But I guess that's the type of food you need with 6 feet of snow outside.

I feel ashamed as an Irish person even daring to insult any other nationalities' food when the best we could once offer was Bacon and Cabbage. Sorry for anyone offended!

Rara

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:31 pm

Ah, I forgot something - Indonesian.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Alias1024

Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:19 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 68):
Blues City Cafe in Memphis: Supposedly the best ribs in Memphis. I don't think so the place is basically like a chain restaurant with prices that are akin to the pricey stuff you'd find in New York, Boston and Los Angeles and DC. The ribs were fair and burnt. The portions were stingy.

I've never really understood why people love Blues City Cafe either. The ribs are ok, but nothing to write home about. Rendezvous is better. Another Memphis institution I don't get is Dyer's. The burgers just aren't that good.

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 68):
Olive Garden: Please! calling their drab dreck crap Italian cuisine is a slap in the face to real Italian restaurants. Costco Lasagna blows Olive Garden's crap to shame.

Chilli's: Some of the worst tasting burgers out there.

Denny's: How can you say boring? A small step abouve college dining hall chow.

All of the above are crap. Chili's, Olive Garden, Applebee's, and most of the other big chains are pretty boring. Outback Steakhouse is one of the few I like because the steak is decent and I love their ceasar salad. Not great but I can usually find something to enjoy on their menu.

Denny's is only meant for sobering up. I can't remember the last time I ate there and wasn't drunk.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

zippyjet

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:58 am

Quoting jonathanxxxx (Reply 73):
Living in Miami, we've learned that when you want goood Cuban food either your Abuela has to make it or you go to the least name-brand of them all. The bigger brands like La Carreta, Versailles, Bongos etc. are all pretty bad. The less popular ones tend to be the best.

What's your spin on the restaurant "Las Vegas?" I've eaten at the one on Collins Ave. In Miami Beach across from the Deauville. I really liked the food. I also ate at a suburban branch up in Pembroke Pines. Maybe it was because that one reminded me of a suburban type chain restaurant; the food was good but the Miami Beach location was much better.

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 80):
Outback Steakhouse is one of the few I like because the steak is decent and I love their ceasar salad. Not great but I can usually find something to enjoy on their menu.

When my dad was alive and my mom was well we ate at the Outback a lot. We all really liked their lamb, beef and bloomin onion and Caesar salad. And another chain that is excellent is Maigianos. Maiganos manages to be a chain but make neighborhood authentic Italian food. BTW, I call Applebees Crapplebees!. Applebees seems to be popular with the "hood" crowd and on Sunday early afternoons after the church circuit lets out the place is thronged. I don't know why?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

ME AVN FAN

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:25 am

Quoting vegetables2001 (Thread starter):
disappointment was the food in New Orleans, my wife and I were really looking forward to what we thought was going to be a week of delightful spicy seafood dishes, unfortunately we got a week what appeared to be of overly rich

-
The Cajun cuisine is excellent and spicy. It includes seafood dishes, but of course includes lots of meat and of soups

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 2):
Indian food. There was a background taste in every dish that correlates them all, and I really don't like it. No idea what that is.

In general I'm not into exotic stuff, but I happen to like Japanese, a bit less Chinese.

-
Indian food is excellent and one of my favourites. Top favourite is LAMB VINDALOO. Chinese food I like, but not as much as Indian, and Japanese food I do NOT like

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 3):
Portuguese

-
Portuguese food is good. For example the various ways to prepare Bacalhau

chilli con carne on our travels (apparently it's a Texan invention)

-
If Hernan Cortez was a Texan ............... NO, the meal is NOT a Taxan invention, but the expression "Chili con carne" is a US-American thing. The same meal travels under different names in Latin America.
-
Add to this that there IS TEX-MEX cuisine, which is NOT Texan cuisine but the cuisine of Mexican immigrants to Texas, who continued Mexican cuisine but too k profit of Texan production methods.

Avianca

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:32 am

the only cousine that for me is really boring is the Mexican ...
Dont get me wrong, but the times I was in MEX I couldnt eat more than 2 days in a row that stuff...

for me the best cousine - is the Peruvian, the German and also the Argentinian is amazing....

cheers
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

zhiao

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 45):
Australia offers far better accessible quality cuisine options than the UK, US or much of Europe

I doubt any Australian city offers the sheer variety of cuisines as do NYC, SF, Miami, and LA. Their cities are simply not large and diverse enough. And I don't know what "far better accessible quality cuisine" means. What do you mean? What's "far better"? And what part of Europe are you speaking of? I hope you don't mean Spain, whose cuisine is much better.

bookishaviator

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:37 am

Quoting zhiao (Reply 84):
Their cities are simply not large and diverse enough.

I'm interested to know how you come to that conclusion. I've heard similar statements many times before, but when I think of modern day Melbourne for example - a place that was more or less built on multiculturalism - I don't find it to be noticeably less diverse than the places you mention (all of which I've spent considerable time in). Maybe that's just my bias - I dunno.

But on the topic of the culinary experience in Melbourne, I think this is a pretty fair assessment: What'll it be? Wallaby

I found this quote to be particularly true:

Quote:
This should be the cue for me to assert, as some local restaurant critics would have you believe, that Australia has the best cuisine in the world. Such statements are meaningless and reflect more the insecurities of the critics rather than the culinary state of play.
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

ME AVN FAN

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Quoting blrsea (Reply 30):
Curry is a very generic term given by the britishers for any dish prepared with different Indian spices

-
Sure, it is a "combination-term" for a wide variety of dishes. But you have to be aware of the point that Indian food from all over that large country has some commonalities. Which I much appreciate but other people less so. And be aware of the fact that many people in the West regard Indian food as too spicy

many Indian restaurants in US( and probably other countries) serve what is basically mughalai-punjabi cusine.

-
I have never been to India, but love Indian cuisine. And to my experience, the food you get in Indian restaurants differs, mostly depending on the actual origin of the owners and the cooks in charge.

very comfortable with. For Indians, food without spices feel pretty bland

-
as above, many "Westerners" regard Indian food generally as rather too spicy

Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 39):

The Italian cuisine is extremly versatile and similar to the French cuisine. And like in France it varies from region to region.

BTW, outside of Napoli pizza is not so common there, beside from for the tourists.

Italian cuisine of course varies from region to region. And even if some French people on here get into a fit, I regard the Italian cuisine as better than the French one. Pizza outside the Campania and Basilicata regions of course is not very important.

zhiao

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:52 am

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 85):

I'm interested to know how you come to that conclusion. I've heard similar statements many times before, but when I think of modern day Melbourne for example - a place that was more or less built on multiculturalism - I don't find it to be noticeably less diverse than the places you mention (all of which I've spent considerable time in). Maybe that's just my bias - I dunno.

For Australia as a whole 92% consists of white people whose ancestry mainly traces back to the British Isles. Obviously the larger cities will be more diverse. But like NYC, LA, or Miami?!

corocks

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:57 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 64):
Commander's Palace

If you ate at Commander's Palace for Sunday brunch and were not impressed, then I think it is you  
Quoting Superfly (Reply 66):

I like fried plantains slightly crispy. I made mines at home and I think I made them better than any local restaurant because I would add a little brown sugar and fry them until crispy around the edges.

I agree. Cannot stand a soft plantain. I slice them longways on a mandolin and then fry them. They get crispy and slightly curled. Great with homemade chimichurri.

I found Argentinian disappointing compared to the hype. I have been hearing about how great their steak is for years. Finally went there about three weeks ago and was not thrilled. Did not find it nearly as flavorful or tender as anything we can get here in Texas. And they sure as hell don't know how to cook it. No matter how you order it, it almost always comes out well done. I had steak probably 10 times at both high end and local joints - was disappointed every time.

Quoting rampart (Reply 72):
I don't see the point of ladling chili on spaghetti, or incorporating french fries and cole slaw into a sandwich.

100% - that is just weird.

corocks

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:01 am

Quoting corocks (Reply 88):
I found Argentinian disappointing compared to the hype.

The wine however, exceeded my expectations!

citationjet

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:54 pm

The discussion of food and variouis nationalities reminds me of the following definitions:

Heaven:
Where the police are British, the cooks French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian, and it is all organized and run by the Swiss.

Hell:
Where the police are German, the cooks British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss, and it is all organized and run by the Italians.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

danielmyatt

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:36 am

We British chefs take umbrage to this statement...

N1120A

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:19 am

I was disappointed by Vietnamese food in Vietnam - except for the incredibly high quality of the bread and the yummy, chili-dusted pineapple. I like Vietnamese food generally, but think they skimp on it there.

I was prepared for Chinese food in Mainland China to be poor, and I wasn't surprised.

Hawaiian food is horrid, outside some of the awesome stuff they do with fish and, of course, the great fruit and coffee.

my wife and I were really looking forward to what we thought was going to be a week of delightful spicy seafood dishes

Lots of those exist, but are not the only food the area offers.

unfortunately we got a week what appeared to be of overly rich heart attack on a plate!

1) The local food is influenced by the French and the American South - its going to tend to the rich side.

2) I fear you went to more touristy places.

We never once came across chilli con carne on our travels (apparently it's a Texan invention),

Yuck. Talk about a heart attack on a plate. And one that isn't particularly tasty.

Also, if I never, ever see a tortilla chip again I won't be too upset.

SMITE HIM!

Quoting corey07850 (Reply 5):
Vietnamese for me. Had high hopes for it but it has been disappointing each time

In Vietnam, I agree. The best Vietnamese, which stays totally faithful to its heritage but seems to just up its quality, I've had is in Los Angeles and in Cambridge, ON.

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 10):
Cuban. Found most things too dry and lacking flavour.

I've heard the resort food in Cuba is awful.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 14):
Next time you are in The States, seek out a taco truck. Seriously.

Taco trucks are great.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 14):
My dissapointing cuisine is Vietnamese. The pho tastes bland and the sandwiches are soggy.

Interestingly, the best pho is in Los Angeles - far better than in Vietnam. That said, I love a good Banh Mi (no mayo - worst invention ever). Again, the best I've had is probably from the Nom Nom Truck here in L.A. Indeed, the bread in Vietnam competes with the best boulangerie in France. I love the lightness the rice flour imparts, and nothing is better served warm and crisp with breakfast.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
Hawaiian food ranks rather low on my list as well.

Poke is good, Spam is bad.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 22):
Heart attack food!

Well, tortilla chips are properly made in vegetable oil, so not as bad.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 22):
A lot of English and Irish people make the mistake of going for chicken or steak in Italy, and are sorely disappointed when that all they get on the plate. There is NOTHING like properly made ragu or other pasta sauces . . . and when you get one you realise why Italians are so passionate about their food. Mmmmmmmmm!

The only steak someone should eat in Italy is a Bisteca Fiorentina.

Quoting Rara (Reply 27):
"greens" (what are they even?)

Tops of various root vegetables, and the healthiest thing you find in Southern food.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 29):
I am still ticked off that as late as 1999, the last time I was in Kamloops B.C. Canada, I couldn't get Canadian Bacon on a Pizza!

You could. Just ask for ham.  
Quoting L-188 (Reply 29):
When I was in Germany in the early 1990's the Gyro stand we used to hit in Echterdingen was run by Turkish immigrants

Doner Kabab, not Gyro. The latter is made by Greeks and almost always has french fries in it.

Quoting vegetables2001 (Reply 33):
Why on earth are milk and pigs blood banned?

Milk isn't banned, and neither is blood sausage (black pudding).

Quoting L-188 (Reply 32):
FETA should not be made with Cow milk!

Its not feta, legally, if made with cow milk. It shouldn't be made with goat milk either. Only sheep.

Fresh milk is illegal to sell interstate and some states have also banned it.

You mean raw milk, right?

Monzerella should come from a buffalo, not a cow.

Mozzarella di Buffala should come from a water buffalo. Mozzarella generally, however, isn't like Feta and protected in what milk it comes from. Its more about the process.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 34):
I think he means unpasturized milk. Pig's blood, I don't know. Unpasturized, or raw, milk needs to get to market as quickly as possible to keep germs and bacteria at a minimum, I believe.

Well, the US has odd rules about raw milk generally. Raw milk cheeses are indeed allowed, but those imported must be aged at least 60 days.

I found New Orleans very disappointing with food too. That creole and cajun image was just an image...

1) New Orleans is not a cajun city.

2) My experience is that European tourists tended to be way too likely to go to some crap chain like Bubba Gump (formerly the Rusty Pelican) or the like than to go to the true New Orleans institutions.

3) Its pretty impossible to beat a good Shrimp Creole. Mmm...Shrimp Creole...Mmm.

but now Melbourne and to a good degree Sydney are acknowledged cuisine capitals of Asia Pacific.

Meh. Overpriced and bland. Flat whites are pretty good.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 46):
The only people I hear that make such a big deal about Vietnam and Vietnamese food are the hippie/backpacker types that don't eat good food anyway.

Lots of cool stuff about Vietnam, especially Nha Trang and Hoi Anh.

I was last there in May 2010 and loved practically everywhere we ate, and got to eat at some "name" places that I'd never been to before, like Commander's Palace, a muffaletta from Central Grocery, Jacques-Imo's, po'boys from both Domileses and Guy's

You ate at some pretty awesome places. You should go to Nola (by far, Emeril Lagasse's best restaurant), Juan's, K-Paul, Gallatoire's, Antoine's, Cafe Degas and Casamento's next time you are there.

a really good Mexican place that was a short walk from our hotel (The Columns on St. Charles), etc.

Wasn't Superior (or, as I say, Inferior) Grill, was it?

As a Californian who lived in New Orleans for 3 years, my favorite Mexican restaurant is actually in New Orleans. Juan's Flying Burrito.

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 75):
Haggis, strangely enough, was much tastier than I expected!

Other than being served in a stomach, there really isn't anything that someone who eats red meat wouldn't like. Stewed lamb and oats? I'd probably go for that if I still ate red meat.

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 78):
Canadian. Sorry, just a bit on the stodgy side. But I guess that's the type of food you need with 6 feet of snow outside.

There really isn't "Canadian" food. As someone who has spent as much time as a non-Canadian ever will there, the closest thing is their co-opting of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (or Kraft Dinner, as they call it). Great coffee at Tim Hortons, however.

Quoting danielmyatt (Reply 91):
We British chefs take umbrage to this statement...

Your best chefs are known for their offal. Nuff said  
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

hoons90

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 92):
I've heard the resort food in Cuba is awful.

Indeed, especially the buffets, even at 4-5 star rated resorts in Varadero. Some resorts have a grill by the beach where you can get hamburgers though, which weren't bad at all.

Food in Havana is much better.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

AviRaider

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Mexican. We were expecting plenty of hot food with plenty of chlli, along with Spanish influenced dishes, everywhere. We never once came across chilli con carne on our travels (apparently it's a Texan invention), which was a bit of a surprise -- and disappointment. Also, if I never, ever see a tortilla chip again I won't be too upset.

And don't even start me on refried beans . .

It sounds like you ate traditional Mexican versus TexMex;there is a difference. Both good in their own way. TexMex is probably the most global of the Mexican recipes. TexMex cuisine usually includes chili con carne, a good amount of cheese and is usually spicier than it's Mexican counterpart. There is also CaliMex which is traditional Mexican with a Californian twist on it. This includes things like fish tacos, thinner tortillas and fresh vegetables.

As far as the refried beans go, there are some that are fantastic and some that are tasteless, depends on the cook I suppose.

[Edited 2012-04-18 11:52:27]

Jonathanxxxx

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 81):
What's your spin on the restaurant "Las Vegas?" I've eaten at the one on Collins Ave. In Miami Beach across from the Deauville. I really liked the food. I also ate at a suburban branch up in Pembroke Pines. Maybe it was because that one reminded me of a suburban type chain restaurant; the food was good but the Miami Beach location was much better

I actually like Las Vegas, pretty good. Only been to the one in Pembroke Pines though.