Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

2707200X
Topic Author

What Web Browser Do You Use?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 pm

What browser do you use on your computer and which ones would you recommend and which ones would you not?

I used Internet Explorer and I has problems using YouTube but I changed to to SeaMonkey and the YouTube problem is gone.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

zckls04

RE: What Web Browser Do You Use?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Opera. It has its faults, but it's the least worst for my needs.
Four Granavox Turbines!

jetblueguy22

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Google Chrome. I hate Firefox and Safari. Chrome just seems simpler to me. Though I suppose I'm feeding those evil guys at Google tons of personal information    .
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

varigb707

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Quoting 2707200X (Thread starter):
I used Internet Explorer and I has problems

You has problems, alright...
 Big grin

[Edited 2012-03-27 16:39:41]
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

Klaus

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:41 pm

iCab on the Mac.
iCab mobile on iPhone and iPad.

Very flexible and powerful.

sccutler

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Using Chrome at home, Firefox in office.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

2707200X
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Quoting varigb707 (Reply 3):
You has problems, alright...
Big grin

My bad. I meant to say "I had problems using YouTube" I little late for me to change it tough.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

NZ1
Head Moderator

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:01 am

I use Safari, mainly because it is the only one I have never had any issues with. Quick to load, easy to use and a nice clean interface.

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

kngkyle

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:57 am

Opera.

Everything you could ever want in a browser, plus more. Opera is like Chrome except not completely stripped down to nothing. Opera still has all the bells and whistles an experienced user would appreciate, without compromising on speed. It's not for everyone though - if having a ton of options and customizations will overwhelm you, then stay away.

hOMSaR

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:01 am

Netscape Navigator 4.0  

No, just kidding. I'm on Firefox 635 or whatever version they're up to this week. Looks the same as Firefox 4, memory leak and all.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:57 am

Chrome. I WAS on Firefox but it often crashed, so I've move permanently. As with my iPhone/iPad/iPod, Safari (like I have a choice...)
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Klaus

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:43 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 10):
As with my iPhone/iPad/iPod, Safari (like I have a choice...)

You do. Try iCab mobile.

Fullscreen mode, configurable gesture control, ad filter, proxy option, file download (and even some limited upload) capability, DropBox support, full Retina Display support and much, much more (including very detailed customizability). It's also a universal App which runs on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.

For me the fullscreen mode already seals the deal (particularly on the iPhone), and everything else is bonus – and there's a lot more.

I'd really recommend you to check it out!

airportugal310

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:49 am

Chrome, but I'm gonna check out this iCab thing KLAUS is pointing out...seems like a good alternative.

I think Safari on my MBPro sucks. It crashes alot (that damn rainbow pinwheel of death)...

Chrome is very stable, and Google Maps (naturally?) works like a charm. Unlike IE...ick!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

zippyjet

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:08 am

Dell tech support and many IT friends are hip to Google Chrome. This browser is no nonsense and not fancy but, tends to be faster and better stability. However I.E versions 7 and later have improved over their earlier versions. I tried Fire Fox but was not impressed. It seemed to have a clunky/busy interface. And I can't take a browser named Opera or Sea Monkey seriously. And there you have it. I do have I.E. 8 as a backup. Dell Tech Support told me I.E. 9 has some problems and 8 was better.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

alberchico

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:11 am

I have uses internet explorer all my life then a year ago switched to google chrome and I haven't looked back. Its so much better than the other web browsers out there....
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

elbandgeek

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:13 am

I go back and forth between IE9/10 and Chrome. IE has actually come along way and I'm impressed by the newest versions but there's a couple things it still doesn't quite work right with and for those I use Chrome.

QFA380

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:20 am

I use Firefox, I'd like to switch to Chrome but I've become too embedded with Firefox, passwords, bookmarks, addons. I've always despised Safari though.

Geezer

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:17 am

I hate to admit this (to myself, especially), but I have IEX and Safari, plus the latest version of Firefox on my old iMac; why ? because I'm too damned lazy to throw IE and Safari in "the trash", and then empty the trash ! I never have tried Chrome or opera; I may on the new machine. (I'm sure it will already have Safari loaded; Safari is the only Apple product I can think of that I never have never cared much for.

And the "pin wheel" (or "wind mill").......that's not the browser's fault; that's kinda like when a really dumb guy shakes his head rapidly, and exclaims......."WTF"? (Computers get just as "confused" (or even more so) than people; it's just that different things "confuse" them!

One thing to keep in mind about browsers though; even though they differ in "looks", they all tend to do about the same things; and they are seldom the "big problem" that everyone keeps thinking is gumming up the works, and slowing everything down. There are numerous things going on in the average computer that slows things down just as much or even more than what browser you are using; hell, even IE "works".......but just "not very well" !

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

AirPacific747

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 am

I use Google Chrome most of the time as it seems to be the 'lighest' browser of the major ones. I also occasionally use FF and IE.

[Edited 2012-03-28 03:03:40]

817Dreamliiner

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:54 am

I use google chrome, to me its alot better than IE which is what I used previously
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

Francoflier

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:59 am

I mostly use Firefox as I prefer the download functions and I found a good cookie management addon for it.

I find Chrome lighter and faster and I use it as well, but less frequently due to the reasons above.
BTW If someone knows a good cookie manager for Chrome...

Maybe I should try Opera.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Klaus

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Quoting geezer (Reply 17):
And the "pin wheel" (or "wind mill").......that's not the browser's fault; that's kinda like when a really dumb guy shakes his head rapidly, and exclaims......."WTF"? (Computers get just as "confused" (or even more so) than people; it's just that different things "confuse" them!

Well, almost…  

It just says that the application the mouse pointer is hovering on hasn't been ready to listen for user input for a few seconds; It's really just the "busy" indication (on Windows 7 it's a sickly-green doughnut, also rotating; in earlier times on various systems running watches or hourglasses have been used).

When the application is done with whatever it was busy with, it reverts to the regular cursor (pointing to a different application will usually show the regular cursor there as well).

In many cases it's an indication that due to insufficient RAM space the machine is swapping data to or from virtual memory on disk which may temporarily block most applications, though.

zkojq

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 pm

I have been mainly using Chrome for the last couple of years. In my experience, it has been the quickest, most reliable, best looking (there are a lot of different skins that can be added on) and easiest to use web browser. Recently Google introduced the feature of being able to sign into chrome with your Google/Gmail account. When I'm at a university computer, this feature is particularly handy as it automatically imports my bookmarks, login details/passwords, add-ons/apps and form data to the computer i'm using.   Other than Chrome, I occasionally use Safari - but not too frequently.

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 16):
I use Firefox, I'd like to switch to Chrome but I've become too embedded with Firefox, passwords, bookmarks, addons.

I know that feeling all too well.
First to fly the 787-9

airportugal310

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Quoting geezer (Reply 17):

fully aware of this. only happens with Safari, though, is my point. It almost always requires a Force Quit

Quoting Klaus (Reply 21):
In many cases it's an indication that due to insufficient RAM space the machine is swapping data to or from virtual memory on disk which may temporarily block most applications, though.

Can these settings be changed on my MacBookPro so that it stops happening? I do like to use Safari for some things so it'd be nice to fix!

Thanks
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

na

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Safari. Or, if I want to download pdfs, Firefox.

CXfirst

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 1):
Opera. It has its faults, but it's the least worst for my needs.

Same here. Although I have chrome installed for the few things that don't work quite well. I have become so accustomed to my speed dial and the quick "ctrl + [num]" to get to my favourite sites! And most of all, love the search customizable search functions ("g + search" searches google, "y + search" searches yahoo, "e + search" searches ebay). I've customized it to add youtube, google images, and even a.net photos!

Also, love Opera Unite, which lets me stream my music that is on my home pc (assuming it is on, which it usually is) and listen to it from anywhere I have the browser installed!

Although, there is one thing I love about Chrome and use a lot, and that is cloud print. I can print from anywhere using any browser, but it will only print to my home pc, when I open google chrome. This feature is particularly good when I want to print things of my android phone.

-CXfirst

Tupolev160

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:49 am

Opera, by far the most complete and advanced web-browser available, despite the few imperfections it has. In terms of functions it is incomparably superior to any other browser that often used Opera's innovations to make themselves popular (tabbed browsing, speed-dial etc. all came from Opera originally). Ironically, Opera occupies the last place in usage share (everywhere exept Eastern Europe) the first one being IE - just the opposite of how it should be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_(web_browser)#Market_adoption
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...f_web_browsers#Regional_variations

Same goes on the smart-phones market where Iphone-IOS is the most popular and Windows Mobile the least used system despite being the only really successfully emulating a desktop computer within a phone.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Klaus

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 23):
fully aware of this. only happens with Safari, though, is my point. It almost always requires a Force Quit

Safari can use large amounts of memory, which can lead to virtual memory swapping, which can in turn lead to the "beachball" cursor appearing, particularly on Macs with relatively little installed RAM.

In that case it does not require a Force Quit, it just takes a while to move around all that memory between RAM and the swap files.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 23):
Can these settings be changed on my MacBookPro so that it stops happening? I do like to use Safari for some things so it'd be nice to fix!

No. Particularly if you have relatively little RAM in your machine, don't forget to close windows and tabs which you don't need any more to free the memory they use, and if Safari's memory footprint should still grow too large even when closing all other windows and tabs, simply quit and relaunch it. Safari is reported to have memory leaks (meaning wasted memory usage) but I'm using Safari only as secondary "standby" browser so I have not observed that to happen myself.

Quoting Tupolev160 (Reply 26):
Same goes on the smart-phones market where Iphone-IOS is the most popular and Windows Mobile the least used system despite being the only really successfully emulating a desktop computer within a phone.

The systems which aimed at simply emulating desktop systems on mobile devices have been utter failures (Windows mobile, Windows for Tablets) and only iOS which explicitly discarded any such attempts became a runaway success, which others are now trying to imitate.

That older approach simply does not work.

varigb707

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:00 am

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 6):
I meant to say "I had

I got you... Just has,,err, i mean, had to mess with ya   
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

tz757300

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:16 am

I use Waterfox, which is the 64bit equivalent of Firefox. Run very well and am impressed with it.

zippyjet

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:17 am

Opera, by far the most complete and advanced web-browser available, despite the few imperfections it has.

Who in the hell came up with the name Opera? I think of a fat heiffer or she male with Viking Horns croaking out stuff in Italian or Latin or whatever language Operas do. I then think of snooty peeps with those funny looking opera glasses and haughty accents asking for some Grey Poupon.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Quokkas

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:04 am

For normal surfing Google Chrome as it loads quickly without the page freezing. I made the change from IE9 because of A.net being the only page that consistently froze when loading. No such problems with Chrome. But there is one page that I view where it messes up the styles so that the grid in an online crossword looks disjointed. For that one page I use IE9.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

thomil13FRA

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Google Chrome on my PC, the default WebKit browser on my tablet, Opera Mobile on my Smartphone, Firefox and (where unavoidable) IE8 at work. However, I have alternative browsers installed on every device I use, just to be able to switch back and forth in case of problems.

Kiwirob

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:52 pm

IE at work and Firefox or Safari at home.

DocLightning

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:01 pm

Chrome and only Chrome.

The Google Gods are my masters.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PSA53

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Internet Explorer and Firefox right now.But when Firefox updates itself,i always lose some plug ins like Real Player.And Firefox doesn't reset itself right away when exiting ."Firefox is already running." is the message when you do a quick restart after you exited.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

shaq

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox
My favorite browser was Firefox , but, I downloaded Chrome and now is my mostn useed one.
Occasionally I use Firefox
Studying hard, for flying right!

MadameConcorde

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Latest version of Firefox with many cool add-ons, ad blocks and more.

Have organized tons of good bookmarks. All sorts of stuff.

Radio stations and TV channels from the world over.

I am happy with it. I have no reason to change.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Braniff747SP

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 pm

Chrome, naturally. Works seamlessly with all other Google services (which I heavily use) and, the best part, I can "log in" to Chrome on any computer and it will transfer my history, bookmarks, etc. to that computer. As I use several computers, this keeps the experience the same on all machines. Very convenient. For iOS- I use the standard Safari. I've got no qualms- works just fine.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

2707200X
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:41 pm

I changed from SeaMonkeys to Opera. It is easier with Opera to listen to YouTube and be on other websites at the same time, it is also easier to organize files and create folders.

Aesma

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:41 am

Firefox 3.6 portable. It still gets upgrades, and version 4 and newer aren't compatible with one of the plugins I can't live without.

Firefox also on my Galaxy Tab.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

captaink

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:00 am

Chrome for my Windows Machine, Dolphin Browser for my Iphone.. wish the search function worked with dolphin too, but you know how it is with Iphones..
Look Up

HT

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Opera under Xubuntu with Firefox being the backup. The same applies for the parallel installation of XP.
Both use the very same HTML-file with my favorite links, so no need to update any "Favorites" per browser (installation); the same file also is in use on my business notebook where I run Opera from USB-stick.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

hOMSaR

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:33 am

I'd like to point out, as an update from my previous post, that apparently they have fixed the Firefox memory leak (at least, the big horrible one that was really screwing everything up). Apparently it had to do with Firefox and McAfee not working together properly, but now it's fixed.

Yay.

I don't want to use Chrome because, frankly, I'm kinda against Google getting so damn big and powerful.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

RayChuang

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:30 am

On my desktop machine, either Firefox 11.0 or Chrome 18.0. On my laptop machine, Chrome 18.0.

mham001

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 16):
I use Firefox, I'd like to switch to Chrome but I've become too embedded with Firefox, passwords, bookmarks, addons.

Most everything can be exported/imported. Most addons are also available for Chrome too. Except TabMixPlus. That is the only thing I don't like about Chrome but have gotten used to it.

I used Firefox religiously for years, then they totally screwed up the Linux version last year and I reluctantly switched. All these years they knew about that memory leak and they just made it worse.

Klaus

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Quoting captaink (Reply 41):
Chrome for my Windows Machine, Dolphin Browser for my Iphone.. wish the search function worked with dolphin too, but you know how it is with Iphones..

I thought I did – I just don't get how a missing function in the Dolphin Browser (which other alternative browsers such as iCab do have) has anything to do with the platform as such.

Stratofish

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Opera, by far the most complete and advanced web-browser available, despite the few imperfections it has. In terms of functions it is incomparably superior to any other browser that often used Opera's innovations to make themselves popular (tabbed browsing, speed-dial etc. all came from Opera originally).

Using Opera for a decade now and it keeps being one of the most innovative and still gets better with every other release. Works fine under both Ubuntu and Windows. Ironically it used to have issues with Anet.
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way