Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sprout5199
Topic Author

Where's The Outrage?

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Saw this:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/09/us/maryland-beating/index.html

have a few question:

1. Why wasnt anything mentioned in the article that the victim was white and the suspects were black? if it was the other way around, that would be the headline.

2. Where is the screams of racism?

3. Where is Rev Al? Where is Jesse?

4. Where is the White outrage?

I know this will be deleted, I will get banned citing some god knows rule. Even though there is the same type of posts just reverse.

Dan in Jupiter

Dreadnought

RE: Where's The Outrage?

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Here's another one.

http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/lo...d-weekend-beating-says-elderly-man

Many black kids (not all, but a lot of them) have been indoctrinated to resent and hate white people. That's bad enough, and they are regularly encouraged by the likes of Sharpton. You have dozens of highly visible race-baiters such as him call the event an assassination, that Martin was shot down in cold blood for purely racist reasons. This is not that unusual - we've been dealing with such people for years. But when the President opened his trap about the Zimmerman Martin case, he gave them a big wave of vindication, and I have little doubt that some of these recent beatings would not have happened if he had said instead, "We don't have all the facts yet - let's let the justice system do its work."
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Rara

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Quoting sprout5199 (Thread starter):

There were none, presumably, until you started this thread.  

In your post?

Seriously, a drunk man got robbed in Baltimore, the perpetrators happened to be black, and you want to start a clash of the races over it? If everybody was so short-fused, that'd be one hell of a country you'd be living in.

You seem to wonder why violence of whites against blacks seems more of an issue than vice versa (well at least to you it does). Here's some context: black were violently oppressed by whites for centuries, and not the other way around. Not saying blacks are better people because of it, not saying whites should feel guilty about it, but still that fact is sort-of there. Now, most people agree that violence is bad, no matter of who does it to whom... but sure, we can start a race debate for every minor case of robbery.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

smittyone

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:02 pm

The political movement led by the likes of Sharpton and Jackson is a greedy, dysfunctional, self-pitying drain on everything that comes into contact with them. They are not one bit interested in racial harmony, or even advancing the real welfare of African Americans. Racial unrest is the source of their power...the worst thing that could possibly happen for them would be for African Americans to achieve (and believe that they have achieved) genuine equality.

Therefore they will never allow that.

That's why even though there's a 'Trayvon Martin' gunned down by other African Americans every damn week in this country, Al and Jesse only care about the one who appears to have been unlawfully killed by a "white enough" guy that the "system" has failed to bring to justice. They don't give the first shit about that poor kid or his family, or the miscarriage of justice any farther than that it applies to a black person and that they can capitalize on it. He's a means to an end.

Kiwirob

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 2):
Here's some context: black were violently oppressed by whites for centuries, and not the other way around.

That was then not here and now, people need to stop living in the past, rather like the jews, or the maori in NZ, what happened decades ago should not be used as an excuse for bad behaviour today.

sprout5199
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 2):
There were none, presumably, until you started this thread.

Which is what is wrong with this country. If the suspects were white and the victim was black the outrage would be through the roof, wanting a five state man hunt....

Quoting Rara (Reply 2):
You seem to wonder why violence of whites against blacks seems more of an issue than vice versa (well at least to you it does).

The issue I have brought up is the double standard, not the crime. If you are STUPID enough to wear a Tag Heuer watch to a street party and get drunk, expect to be robbed. White or black.

Quoting Rara (Reply 2):
If everybody was so short-fused, that'd be one hell of a country you'd be living in.

To me, the only people that are "short-fused" ore the race-baiting ones who have an agenda, and the news that feeds the story.

Quoting Rara (Reply 2):

You are implying that I am a racist because I happen to be a white male and brought this up. thats your opinion. I just called it as I see it.

When the news reports any black on white crime as being racial motivated the news itself is "racist", however any white on black crime is racist, even if it was just a "regular" crime. If these criminals are caught, will they be charged with a hate crime? with violating his civil rights? No because in this PC world a minority cannot commit a hate crime, or violate the civil rights of a white male, all crimes are just crimes nothing else.

The world cannot be racism free until all races actually want it to be.

Dan in Jupiter

PC12Fan

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:40 pm

That's what it most frustrating. heart breaking, insulting, (insert your own words here) thing about this whole thing.

Double standards.

"do as I say, not as I do".

I just don't understand it.  
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

Geezer

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:35 pm

[quote=SmittyOne,reply=3]Quoting sprout5199 (Thread starter):

The political movement led by the likes of Sharpton and Jackson is a greedy, dysfunctional, self-pitying drain on everything that comes into contact with them. They are not one bit interested in racial harmony, or even advancing the real welfare of African Americans. Racial unrest is the source of their power...the worst thing that could possibly happen for them would be for African Americans to achieve (and believe that they have achieved) genuine equality.

Therefore they will never allow that.

That's why even though there's a 'Trayvon Martin' gunned down by other African Americans every damn week in this country, Al and Jesse only care about the one who appears to have been unlawfully killed by a "white enough" guy that the "system" has failed to bring to justice. They don't give the first shit about that poor kid or his family, or the miscarriage of justice any farther than that it applies to a black person and that they can capitalize on it. He's a means to an end.

Spot on, SmittyOne ! (Exactly what I have been thinking myself ! )

Thank you SmittyOne, thank you Sprout 5199, and thank you Dreadnought ! I have been putting off starting just such a thread as this, because of an "incident" that happened just recently in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and which of course received no attention in the "so-called mainstream media"; so far, I have been unable to find the story, so I'll try to relate it from memory;

A 95 year old man and his 89 year wife, (who had recently celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary) were in their home; the man was a WW 2 veteran, who had served with the 101st. Airborne Division in combat in Germany. Then, a group of young black thugs broke into their home, led by one Tyrone Woodfork. They beat the man nearly to death, and this Tyrone Woodfork raped the wife, THEN stabbed her to death ! They then ransacked the house, stole everything that wasn't "nailed down", and THEN "departed" the scene in the old man's car; (Sorry, but I'm unable to recall the make and model); an hour or so later, Tulsa police apprehended Tyrone Woodfork driving the car, and then rounded up several more of the "perps"; they were confident the rest would soon be located and taken into custody.

Now..........this all occurred DURING the recent "flap" over the so-called Trayvon Martin "episode", which has completely dominated the "so-called news" ever since it happened, and which so many thousands of "so-called people" are so upset about.

I'm guessing here, but I anticipate hearing from "some".........."what the hell is the 101st Airborne" Division" ? Never heard of it !
(I wonder if Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson ever heard of the 101st Airborne ? ) (or if they even cared about it if they did remember it ?)

So.........just like the OP of this thread, (and just like a few million other Americans), I'm wondering, I'm ASKING.......where is the outrage over this tragedy ? For that matter, why hasn't it been reported on, and discussed by every "so-called" news agency in this country ? And before anyone is tempted to cry, "it didn't happen", I'm confident a call to the Tulsa, Ok. PD will convince you that it DID in fact happen !

And just one other thing;...................(how to say this "delicately" ?)..............it seems we have a few from other countries that have "pointed out" that over the last 200 years or so, white people have done some terrible things to non-white people, in many different places around the world. To which I would completely agree..........there have been, and still are, many terrible white people. Hitler, Stalin, and Ted Bundy come immediately to mind; but what does this "prove" you may ask; it "proves" what many have known all along...........that attempting (by the aforementioned "race baiters"), to blame everything on "racial hatred", is really just an attempt to "muddy the water" and get everyone's attention off of the REAL issues; (all while people like AS and JJ make their fortunes "stirring the pot" ! (hell, I'm sure they think it's a lot easier than "working" for a living ! )

It's been a long time, but I can still remember reading about such "no-goodniks" as Nero, Genghis Khan, Caligula when I was a school kid,(to name just a few), who caused many innocent people to die; (and I don't think any of these guys were particularly interested (or worried) about the "race" of their victims; so...........should we immediately start an effort to "do something about" these terrible things that happened in history ? Do any of the "complainers" have any "good ideas" as to how to go about "righting the wrongs" of history ? (I'm afraid I don't !)

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Kiwirob

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Quoting geezer (Reply 7):
Do any of the "complainers" have any "good ideas" as to how to go about "righting the wrongs" of history ? (I'm afraid I don't !)

I don't see why the current generation should be responsible for righting yesterdays wrongs, the past is the past, we need to worry about today's issues and making sure tomorrow is better.

sprout5199
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 8):
I don't see why the current generation should be responsible for righting yesterdays wrongs, the past is the past, we need to worry about today's issues and making sure tomorrow is better.

Well, those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it, but some people like to blame the issues we have now on things that did happened in the past. in this PC world it is much easier to blame everyone else than look to the real causes of things. Like the Bobby Patrino thing---improper relationship? YOU HAD AN AFFAIR. (sorry little rant).

God I hate the PC world we live in.

Dan in Jupiter

smittyone

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Quoting geezer (Reply 7):
I have been unable to find the story, so I'll try to relate it from memory;

Here you go:

http://www.newson6.com/story/1717869...ion-speak-out?clienttype=printable

Ken777

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 1):
Many black kids (not all, but a lot of them) have been indoctrinated to resent and hate white people.

My bet is that black kids are given various lessons in history as they grow up. Top of the list would be the continuing reality of black & white in the US. Black man driving a really nice car - don't think the police will take note? Mybe pull the car over? Talk to a black lawyer or doctor in the South and ask if there is still the carryover today.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 4):
what happened decades ago should not be used as an excuse for bad behaviour today.

Unfortunately the bad behavior of, say, the 50's and 60's have an impact on the economic positions of many blacks even today.

When I was enjoying a pretty good public education in the 50's there were black schools getting the used, out of date text books, less funding for activities, etc. That hit on education as well as opportunities after graduation left those in my generation who happened to be non-white with less. Lower incomes when they could get a job. And that impacts their kids and grandkids.

You are looking at generations before these problems get cleaned up to a reasonable level - we sure aren't there yet.

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 5):
If the suspects were white and the victim was black the outrage would be through the roof, wanting a five state man hunt....

The assault has gone wild because there were cameras on site recording the assault. The video would be just as viral if the races had been reversed.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 8):
I don't see why the current generation should be responsible for righting yesterdays wrongs,

Time and equal opportunities will do more to improve people left in the lower economic levels because of discrimination.

But that assumes that we build economic activity, which includes governments moving on projects (like infrastructure development) using private industry to build the projects. It also assumes that we continue to invest in education and truing, instead of being obsessed with "cutting spending".

aloges

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Let me get this straight.

You despise "black outrage" and accuse the media of bias towards one race.
So to make that right, you ask where the "white outrage" is and why the media isn't focussing on skin colours?

Since when do two wrongs make a right?

I know this will be deleted, I will get banned citing some god knows rule. Even though there is the same type of posts just reverse.

Stop pretending that you're some sort of oppressed victim.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Newark727

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:03 pm

1. Why wasnt anything mentioned in the article that the victim was white and the suspects were black? if it was the other way around, that would be the headline.
Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 5):

The issue I have brought up is the double standard, not the crime. If you are STUPID enough to wear a Tag Heuer watch to a street party and get drunk, expect to be robbed. White or black.

Seems you've answered your own question then. The guy was in a dangerous situation and people who should have done better took advantage. We have no idea if race entered into it. Therefore, no need for "cries of racism." It seems like people are casting around for utter equivalency between patterns of ethnic division when none exists.

GQfluffy

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Don't be so passive-aggressive, Aloges. You know as well as I this Martin business was wrong, yet this isn't brought up at all on a national level. Why not? You're right; two wrongs don't make a right, but if the likes of Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson speak up about the Martin case but can blatantly ignore this, there should be outrage. There isn't.
This isn't where I parked my car...

aloges

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 14):
Don't be so passive-aggressive, Aloges.

Hm. I think I didn't catch you there... anyway:

You know as well as I this Martin business was wrong

I stayed as far away from that as I could. All I know is that in Florida, a Hispanic man with a Jewish name shot and killed a young black man, after which a media firestorm broke loose.

if the likes of Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson speak up about the Martin case but can blatantly ignore this, there should be outrage. There isn't.

Well, the outrage is right here, isn't it? But anyway, aren't those two men the classic ratings boosters that the media contact every time any black person is involved in something however much controversial?

Rara

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 4):

That was then not here and now, people need to stop living in the past, rather like the jews, or the maori in NZ, what happened decades ago should not be used as an excuse for bad behaviour today.

No, but the thread starter appeared to have asked for an explanation why some events are more sensitive than others. If a group of Jews burns down a synagogue in Israel, chances are it's going to be in the local newspaper the next day. If a group of Germans burns down a synagogue in Germany, chances are it'll make world-wide headlines. Same crime, different sensitivities.

Fair? Unfair? You'll be the judge - but it's not like these things are somehow inexplicable.

but if the likes of Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson speak up about the Martin case but can blatantly ignore this, there should be outrage.

Not for the first time I read that people expect Mr Sharpton and Mr Jackson to speak up against some random crime committed by black people. I'm not exactly familiar with them, but I assume they are black American activists. Black people are a minority in the United States, and thus they will have some activists fighting for their cause. Why is it so terrible if they do exactly that? I don't expect a unionist to defend the rights of large corporations. I don't expect an industry lobbyist to argue for environmentalism. I don't expect a Mormon to defend the Pope. I'm sure that Mr Sharpton and Mr Jackson wouldn't condone a robbery of a drunken man on the street - why exactly do you expect them to cover this particular case, and why should there be "outrage" if they don't?
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

airtran737

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Because he was white, and the whites are the oppressors ad deserve to be punished. (sarcasm)

Committing a crime against white people isn't racist. (sarcasm)

They won't show up. Al and Jesse are nothing but race baiters. If it has to do with an ''in justice toward blacks'' they will be all over it. When it comes to anything where there is a white victim, they will stay mute. I'd rather listen to a compilation of queefs from Oprah's snizz than listen to those two jack offs.

We are more calm, and don't have a bunch of idiots trying to enrage us so that we will revolt.

I am tired of all this racist bullshit. We have a black POTUS, have had a black SECDEF, black supreme court justices, a black Secretary of State, black senators, black governors, black astronauts and so many more. The rhetoric of ''you owe us needs to stop. You have risen up and joined the upper echelons of society, be responsible citizens and stop blaming the white man for your problems.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Yellowstone

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 1):
Here's another one.

http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/lo...y-man

No, sorry, that doesn't count. The only evidence we have that that was race-related was that the guy being beaten thinks it was race-related. He can't even quote them as saying any racial epithets. Moreover, the group of teens that did the beating included both white and black individuals. Moreover moreover, the police reported that after interviewing those involved, they had no evidence to suggest that it was a hate crime.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

kiwiinoz

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:29 am

I would think that the fact that this common assault and robbery has ended up on CNN probably constitutes some level of outrage.

And there should be some outrage. Although maybe not quite the sort of news that should make the headline of a global news operator.....what's next.....cat stuck up tree??

seb146

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:00 am

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 19):
I would think that the fact that this common assault and robbery has ended up on CNN probably constitutes some level of outrage.

And it ended up on a traditionally (according to the right-wing) "liberal" news outlet. I am surprised FOX didn't feign outrage from the second this video was posted.

I will just come out and say it: The difference between this and Trayvon Martin is: there is hard and damning evidence in this story about who is guilty and who did what. As opposed to Trayvon, we have the victim dead so we only have one side of the story; the shooter.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Rara

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:31 am

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 17):

Committing a crime against white people isn't racist. (sarcasm)

"Sarcasm"? What the heck? You can't seriously believe that every crime committed by black against whites happens because of their skin colour?

I am tired of all this racist bullshit.

Nuff said.

Superfly

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:03 am

If President Obama had a son, he would look like the assailants in this crime.......

The sad truth is that the mainstream media knows they can generate more passion, anger and generate more money for their advertisements when there is white on black crime. They know that such a story will automatically trigger attention from Jackson and Sharpton.
Black on white crime and black on black crime is often ignored and we're told that we shouldn't get upset about it just as several members in this thread have already done.
In fact, the media will delete segments of a 911 call and even LIE about a person's race to generate outrage. It's interesting that the press kept referring to George Zimmerman as "white" when he is latino mixed with white. Now the press keeps calling him "white latino". I find that interesting considering I never hear the press reefer to Obama as "white African".

Expect to see more race related, sensationalized stories throughout 2012.
The press has a vested interest in getting a certain someone re-elected and race related stories gives him more flexibility to play the race-card.
Bring back the Concorde

sprout5199
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 12):
Stop pretending that you're some sort of oppressed victim.

Where the he!! did that come from? As a white male I have never been an oppressed victim, discriminated against, yes(try picking up women in a bar with bright orange hair, damn Scottish heritage   ) I like to think I judge a man by his actions not color of skin. The way I was brought up was reinforce by my time in the Navy, A good man is a Good man, no matter the color of his skin.

Well the reason I decided to start this thread has actually worked. It has gotten people to think and speak the way they feel about things like this.

Dan in Jupiter

aloges

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:38 am

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 23):
Where the he!! did that come from?

From here:

if it was the other way around, that would be the headline.
(...)

You made it sound as if no matter where you are (media, forums and so on), mentioning black-on-white crime is a taboo. But you didn't get banned and the thread is still very much here.

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 23):
I like to think I judge a man by his actions not color of skin.

hOMSaR

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Those who want to compare this to the Trayvon Martin case are missing a key fact: The police are actually trying to ARREST the folks responsible in this case. In the Martin case, they knew who did it, but didn't do a damn thing about it. If George Zimmerman had been arrested that day, I bet you 99% of the country would never have heard of either of them. But the cops just, flat-out, didn't care.

The national outrage over the Trayvon Martin murder was due to the police handling of the situation.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 11):
My bet is that black kids are given various lessons in history as they grow up.

I actually happen to be reading a book right now about this, which explains a lot of that. Among other things, it details how the history taught in schools is so watered down and, at times, blatantly untrue, that it gives lots people the sense that blacks, poor folks, disadvantaged folks, etc., pretty much never did anything right, while giving the sense that white folks half almost never done anything wrong (or if they did, it was despite their best intentions).

For example, evidence shows that Africans had crossed the Atlantic to the Americas long before Christopher Columbus set sail, and many of them even peacefully integrated into Native cultures. Christopher Columbus comes along with the intent on pillaging the land and of its resources, and murders the locals who don't comply. What do most history books teach? That Columbus made a harrowing journey, against all odds, trying to prove the world was round when everybody around him thought the world was flat (not true), while searching for a new trade route to Inida (possibly, but not necessarily true).

That's just one example.

Many history books try to downplay the role that slavery played in the Confederate states decision to secede from the Union prior to the Civil War, when in fact slavery was the primary (and in some cases only) reason for them to do so.

Many ignore the realities of Reconstruction following the Civil War.

While most folks are taught about segregation and the active attempts by the powers-that-be to keep minorities on a lower social class, they are taught it in a matter-of-fact way, just as one learning introductory high school chemistry might learn that sodium and chloride make salt. They have no concept of the experience that people actually went through, and in some cases continue to go through. All many people believe is "there was racism, but then Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus, and now it's all better."

Far be it for me to justify violence, by anyone, for any reason. Further, I'm not going to assume (and, frankly, do get annoyed when people come to this conclusion about everything) that every instance of wrongdoing is racially motivated. However, one doesn't need to justify something in order to understand how or why it happened, and that's one thing that a lot of people don't quite seem to get. They automatically equate explanation with defense. So, if there is a racially motivated crime perpetrated by a black person against a white person (and there's no indication that, in this case, it was racially motivated, but it could have been), and someone tries to explain why a black person might have some resentment towards white people, they get treated as if they're trying to defend the actions. That doesn't do anything to help the situation, and actually prevents us from making real progress as a society to address these issues. That's how high school history classes treat a lot of these issues (if we can't justify it, and it hasn't been resolved, then we'll just ignore it).

To suggest (as many people do) that racism doesn't exist, or has very minimal impact on today's world, is ridiculous. The reality is that this country has a history of racial oppression dating back hundreds of years (even several hundred years before the country was formed), and while the legal backing of this oppression has largely gone away, the social undercurrent is still very much there. You see it in the very fact that white folks can be outraged that black folks are outraged when blacks are wronged.

We are more calm, and don't have a bunch of idiots trying to enrage us so that we will revolt.

You must have a short memory of history, then, as you forget everything from the Confederate secession in the 1800s, to lynch mobs throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, to the Tea Party today.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

seb146

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:44 pm

From whom? The robbers in the video are black and the victim is white. Yet, the ones committing the crime say nothing about the color of the victim's skin. Unlike in the south where blacks are still treated as second class citizens in some areas.

sprout5199
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Quoting homsaR (Reply 25):
In the Martin case, they knew who did it, but didn't do a damn thing about it.

And you know this how? I can tell you do not work for a law enforcement agency.

If George Zimmerman had been arrested that day

He was taken in to custody. But the evidence that the police had at the time did not support charging him. FYI its the states' attorney that brings charges, NOT the police.

If this goes to trial(A judge can still throw the case out), then all the facts will be heard, and a jury will render the verdict. What happens after that remains to be seen.

Dan in Jupiter

PSA53

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
The sad truth is that the mainstream media knows they can generate more passion, anger and generate more money for their advertisements when there is white on black crime. They know that such a story will automatically trigger attention from Jackson and Sharpton.

Then it could be said the media is in fact racist and disciplinary action should taken either by the FCC or we should...

OCCUPY THE MEDIA STATIONS! And demand equality in reporting.And demand news heads jobs.

[Edited 2012-04-12 11:44:59]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Superfly

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 28):
Then it could be said the media is in fact racist

Always has been.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 28):
OCCUPY THE MEDIA STATIONS! And demand equality in reporting.And demand news heads jobs.

Good luck with that.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:35 pm

For example, evidence shows that Africans had crossed the Atlantic to the Americas long before Christopher Columbus set sail

Just curious was this before or after the Leif Ericson, who were they and which part of Africa did they come from?

sprout5199
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 30):
Just curious was this before or after the Leif Ericson

Just after the Argie's discovered the Falkland Islands---Oh wait wrong Thread, my bad.     

Just had to say it, just had to.

Dan in Jupiter

Superfly

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Many history books try to downplay the role that slavery played in the Confederate states decision to secede from the Union prior to the Civil War, when in fact slavery was the primary (and in some cases only) reason for them to do so.
Many ignore the realities of Reconstruction following the Civil War.

Not sure how any of this relates to the topic at hand but if you want to go there, let's go there.
'Educators' also downplay that the British supported the Confederacy during the US Civil War.
It's also downplayed and outright ignored that Obama is a descendant of slave traders.
How deep in to history do you want to go?
Bring back the Concorde

windy95

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:42 pm

in this case. In the Martin case, they knew who did it, but didn't do a damn thing about it.

Wrong.

If George Zimmerman had been arrested that day

He was taken into custody and released as he should of been until charges had been made.

But the cops just, flat-out, didn't care.

And you know this how???

The national outrage over the Trayvon Martin murder was due to the police handling of the situation

Wrong. It was due to the race huslters/race baiters and the anti-castle law people using this to bludgeon the public with their opinions to score political points.

to the Tea Party today.

So who is the racist now? Care to proove your point.

To suggest (as many people do) that racism doesn't exist, or has very minimal impact on today's world, is ridiculous

I do not think many people suggest that racism does not exist. What many chafe about is that it is the white republicans who are the racists in this country. There are racists everywhere on this planet. No one race own's this.

There is no doubt a double standard in the press in that it seems only whites can be racist. That white on black crime is any different that black on black or black on white.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 32):
Not sure how any of this relates to the topic at hand but if you want to go there, let's go there.
'Educators' also downplay that the British supported the Confederacy during the US Civil War.
It's also downplayed and outright ignored that Obama is a descendant of slave traders.
How deep in to history do you want to go?

Or how about the black slaveowners in the south at the time. New Orleans had quite a few of those. Funny how ther was blacks at both end's of the slave trade.

virgin744

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:35 pm

Race aside, this kind of depraved anti-social behaviour has been happening in the UK for a long time. Thugs are thugs - everywhere around the world unfortunately!

usflyer msp

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:56 pm

SMDH at this thread. Don't compare crimes to one another: it just leads you down a road you really don't want to go down. Each crime needs to be investigated on its own merits and the perpetrators need to be arrested and tried no matter what their ethnic background is. Period.

When that does not happen is when the outrage (rightfully) occurs....

Aesma

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:19 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 11):
Black man driving a really nice car - don't think the police will take note? Maybe pull the car over?

I recently learned about the saying "driving while black".

As for race baiting in the US, I think it's in part the consequence of the fact that "races" are indeed recognized, classified, studied, sometimes helped. It must give a lot of people a "us vs them" mentality that really isn't helping.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dreadnought

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 36):
I recently learned about the saying "driving while black".

Coincidentally I was talking to someone last night about just that subject. He is black and drives a new Merc AMG (CLS I think). He said he never experienced any problems like that, or people staring at him suspiciously, but that he expects that it has something to do with the way he dresses. He is always well dressed - suits during the week, and clothes suitable for the golf club during the weekend. He said that if he drove around in "urban-style" clothes, he would have more problems. He said he taught his son that lesson, and the son, now in college, never had that problem either.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

seb146

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:34 pm

It must be a regional thing too. I live in California, grew up in Oregon. One time did I ever have any problem with any Blacks. One guy one time thought I should be walking on a different street in Seattle. I always had problems with Natives and Whites. I speak enough Spanish to let the Latinos know there is not going to be a problem. I have noticed it is pretty much the same everywhere along the West Coast from SFO north.