Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BMI727

RE: 2012 NHL Play Off Thread

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:13 am

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 46):
Exactly! He collided with him! There was no attempt to avoid contact (aka stopping).

You couldn't be more wrong.

Look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rELP0bYLg4
On the first camera view, look at where Shaw's path is taking him: not at Smith, but rather at the gap between Smith and the boards. Exactly where he would want to go in order to play the puck. Furthermore, there is no movement of the shoulder or elbow, nor does Shaw brace for the impact. The only movement is Shaw straightening up in an obvious attempt to slow down and slip past.

Now look at the second angle from behind the boards. Shaw almost completely misses Smith. The blow was a glancing one at best.

If Shaw was trying to hit Smith on purpose with the intent to injure, he made an exceptionally poor attempt. It would be like trying to kill someone by shooting at their feet.

The only conclusion is that the hit was completely accidental and Shaw was attempting to play the puck. This play should have only resulted in a goalie interference penalty and not a game misconduct, let alone a fine or suspension.

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 49):
He shouldn't use how severe the injury is to the player as the measuring stick to determine if and how long to suspend someone.

He obviously doesn't, otherwise Shaw would have never been suspended.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

connies4ever

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:33 am

I am not sure I believe what I just saw. After 1 period, Pitt 4 Philly 3, 46 shorts, multiple penalties, 4 lead changes. Like river hockey. It''s being played at a break neck pace. No dirty stuff - yet. That is to come in the 3rd if it's a 1-goal game. The announcers on TSN are literally out of breath.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

WestJet747

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:55 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 47):
You know, I looked at this play a million times. There was nothing Torres could've done to slow down. He was traveling way too fast to try to get the puck, which was his fault, but suspending him is really just not the way to go.

The part where Torres left his feet at the hit. No excuse for that.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 48):
Interesting article on www.cbc.ca today: City of Markham (north side of TO) to vote on the 26th whether or not to build a $300M 20,000 seat arena/entertainment centre. That could clear the way for the Islanders to move to Toronto. Bettman has told the Leafs there would be no compensation. Building to be ready no later than 2015 - which is when the Isles lease run out.

They'll probably build the arena, but no NHL team is moving there. Proximity to Toronto is one of the biggest reasons the plans to move a team to Hamilton failed as they did, and Markham is a whole lot closer than Hamilton. Canadian teams have some of the greatest levels of loyalty among their fans, I doubt many in the GTA/Southwestern Ontario would jump ship to cheer for a second team in the area.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 50):
You couldn't be more wrong.

Look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rELP...bYLg4

What are you trying to show me here? It's the exact same footage from the video I linked.

I'm sorry but you aren't going to change my mind. Shaw made a run at a vulnerable goaltender and he's sitting for it. I've been in Mike Smith's position multiple times and I have no sympathy for those players. Hurts like hell to take a hit when you aren't expecting it.
Flying refined.

steeler83

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:58 am

I'll be damned... The Pens do have life to 'em after all...

Ehhhh, but it's only the 2nd period. I'm sure we all thought the Pens would win games 1 and 2 and look at how that turned out...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PSA53

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:23 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 32):
Canucks lost again tonight. They're 3-0 down, on the verge of being swept by LA. Jonathan Quick has been quite remarkable tonight, stopping 41 shots.

A major upset in the making? Kings go at it in 1/2 hr.Kings need to go all the way but I doubt it.Will see.

[Edited 2012-04-18 18:25:16]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

connies4ever

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:42 am

Now Pitt 9 Philly 3 after 2. Looks like pond hockey. 7 PP goals total. Some ugliness evident, could be interesting in the 3rd.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 52):
They'll probably build the arena, but no NHL team is moving there. Proximity to Toronto is one of the biggest reasons the plans to move a team to Hamilton failed as they did, and Markham is a whole lot closer than Hamilton. Canadian teams have some of the greatest levels of loyalty among their fans, I doubt many in the GTA/Southwestern Ontario would jump ship to cheer for a second team in the area.

You can't season tix for the Maple Leafs -- at least not in this lifetime. My prediction is that Hamilton will NEVER get an NHL team, in fact they're likely to lose their AH L team. The Habs are building a 7,000 seat arena in Laval, which is just a short bus ride away from the Bell Centre. Mr Wang's lease with the Nassau County Coliseum runs out in 2015, which is when Markham's arena will be finished. Dave Shoalts wrote several years ago when all of Wang's arena proposals were getting trashed that the Isles would wind up in Toronto.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 54):
A major upset in the making? Kings go at it in 1/2 hr.Kings need to go all the way but I doubt it.Will see.

Yeah, I think so. Jonathan Quick is making Vancouver's scorers look ordinary. Whovever has the hot goalie wins.

connies4ever

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:46 am

Final Pitt 10 Philly 3. Didn't see that one coming. Friday night in Pitt will be interesting.

BMI727

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:18 am

What are you trying to show me here?

How completely wrong you are.

I've been in Mike Smith's position multiple times and I have no sympathy for those players. Hurts like hell to take a hit when you aren't expecting it.

Then you have a problem with the rules and not having penalties severe enough for goalie interference. The simple fact is that there is nothing about the Shaw hit that warrants even a game misconduct, much less a suspension.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:54 am

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 56):
Final Pitt 10 Philly 3. Didn't see that one coming. Friday night in Pitt will be interesting.

Craziness... first time 10 scored in the playoffs since 1989, funnily enough between same teams!

Scores from tonight

Pens 10 vs Flyers 3 - series now 3-1 Flyers
Rangers 2 vs Sens 3 - series now 2-2
Canucks 3 vs Kings 1 - series now 3-1 Kings

Good call on playing Schneider for Vancouver - Luongo surely has to be back up goalie until he leaves now...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

connies4ever

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:38 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 58):
Good call on playing Schneider for Vancouver - Luongo surely has to be back up goalie until he leaves now...

Luongo won't be leaving anytime soon, but Schneider might be going to Columbus. Lu's contract pays him $7M per, so a deal would have to be worked out such that the Canucks ate part of it -- like half at least.

GrahamHill

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 58):
Good call on playing Schneider for Vancouver

Good call on calling back Daniel Sedin too!
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

PSA53

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:21 am

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 55):
Quoting PSA53 (Reply 54):

Yeah, I think so. Jonathan Quick is making Vancouver's scorers look ordinary. Whovever has the hot goalie wins

Schneider was last night.If the Kings would have scored the penalty shot I believe they would have won the game.But it seem to have caused a big let down.Oh.well.Next game.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

PHX787

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:55 am

Aaaaaaaand the Coyotes-Black Hawks series is 4-4....when it comes to overtimes. Mike Smith as usual kicking certain ass.

Wonder who will win. IMO Coyotes got this. Running on a 2-game streak and will be at home next 2 games. All they need is one more win.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

GuitrThree

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:27 am

Wow.. No Redwings fans here tonight? Wonder why? Let's go Preds..... First to move on. Pecks comes through again. Rads and Leggy finally start showing what they can do.

Other teams look out. Preds get the 747 wingspan of Hal Gill back and its scary how far this team can go.

Great night here in Nashville.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

ipodguy7

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:00 am

How bout them Preds!!!! Who said hockey doesn't belong in the south!? Bring on the yotes!
Oh and how about Pekka Rinne!? Best goal tender in the league in my opinion.
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

connies4ever

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:18 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 63):
Wow.. No Redwings fans here tonight? Wonder why? Let's go Preds..... First to move on. Pecks comes through again. Rads and Leggy finally start showing what they can do.

I still think the Radulov decision stinks. Got around the waiver issue in a somewhat dodgy manner. Guy can play, though.

That said, before the playoffs began, I had pegged LA, Nashville, and Florida as teams to watch, Nashville in particular. They play a solid goalie-out defensive system and have wisely built through the draft and have largely stuck with 'project' players.

747srule

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:07 pm

My beloved Red Wings start their golf season on Monday.Bummer!
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

connies4ever

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:04 pm

TORRES WATCH: 25 (twenty-five) games. That's a big bite out of the old pay cheque. Can't say I feel sorry for him. In the last 13 months 3 suspensions and a fine.Apparently the man can't help himself.

PHX787

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 67):
TORRES WATCH: 25 (twenty-five) games. That's a big bite out of the old pay cheque. Can't say I feel sorry for him. In the last 13 months 3 suspensions and a fine.Apparently the man can't help himself.

Jesus H. Christ -_- We're gonna be feeling that here in PHX.

All we need is a win and some re-organization time :/

WestJet747

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 63):

I'm not surprised. The Preds have been really great this year (at least compared to years passed). They will probably be the team I cheer for in the West until the finals. Now I just need Weber to get a little more production so I can get up in my work's fantasy pool!

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 64):
Who said hockey doesn't belong in the south!?

Probably all the Canadians and Europeans that play for those southern teams.  
Quoting connies4ever (Reply 67):

Ouch! Obviously the punishment is this severe because the guy is a repeat-repeat-repeat offender (enough repeats?). The hit itself wasn't even close to a 25-gamer, but I guess it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

A friend of mine is a family friend of Torres. Apparently the guy is a real piece of work. My friend tends to describe him with the word "asshole" every time he speaks of him. Maybe this extra-long break will give him a shake.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 68):
All we need is a win and some re-organization time

Like re-organizing in Quebec City?   
Flying refined.

PHX787

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 69):
Like re-organizing in Quebec City?

After the Habs year this year, you bet!

connies4ever

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 am

All we need is a win and some re-organization time :/

The Coyotes in Phoenix are 'dead man walking'. The NHL does not want to continue to own the team, Glendale itself is more or less bust, so can't continue to fork over $25M/year as a subsidy. Quebec City is most likely, but Seattle, Kansas City, and Houston, IMHO are not out of the picture. Milwaukee might be viable if it had a better venue. Bradley Centre is a) a little too small, and b) not sufficient amenities for the NHL's liking.

Jesus H. Christ -_- We're gonna be feeling that here in PHX.
Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 69):
Ouch! Obviously the punishment is this severe because the guy is a repeat-repeat-repeat offender (enough repeats?). The hit itself wasn't even close to a 25-gamer, but I guess it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

3 suspensions and a fine for head shots in the past 13 months, plus 5 other trips to the principals office that didn't garner much media attention. The guy is a head case. Roid rage maybe ? Justified, I think.

ltbewr

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 am

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 71):
Quoting PHX787 (Reply 68):Jesus H. Christ -_- We're gonna be feeling that here in PHX.Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 69):Ouch! Obviously the punishment is this severe because the guy is a repeat-repeat-repeat offender (enough repeats?). The hit itself wasn't even close to a 25-gamer, but I guess it was the straw that broke the camel's back.3 suspensions and a fine for head shots in the past 13 months, plus 5 other trips to the principals office that didn't garner much media attention. The guy is a head case. Roid rage maybe ? Justified, I think.

Shanahan had no other choice especially with the NHL mandated pressure as to a 'headhunters' like this guy causing major brain trauma and the league at risk for lawsuits by former and current players. Wasn't there a long suspension given a few years ago for another headslammer?

The Devils look like they are in trouble and facing an early out of the playoffs. Again. Ditto for the Rangers. I was hopeing for at least a Rangers - Vancover rematch as in 1994 but looks like it ain't happening.

blink182

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 72):
The Devils look like they are in trouble and facing an early out of the playoffs. Again. Ditto for the Rangers. I was hopeing for at least a Rangers - Vancover rematch as in 1994 but looks like it ain't happening.

I thought NJ would trounce Florida in five, but clearly that hasn't happened. For the Rangers, their present for winning the East is to play one of a very small number of teams that has given them trouble all year. We'll see how the Devils and Rangers respond.

Meanwhile, how about Holtby and the Caps? Once again, San Jose has another playoff bust.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 71):
3 suspensions and a fine for head shots in the past 13 months, plus 5 other trips to the principals office that didn't garner much media attention.

With Torres' lengthy history of the exact same hit, he deserves every one of those 25 games. After watching the punishment video where Shanahan really comes down hard on Torres, I'm actually surprised Torres didn't get even more. The message is that Torres needs to change his game. Now.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

connies4ever

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Pitt out now too, two years in a row in the first round. Changes coming, I would think. I think a little more back end talent might help. Interesting that in the game today, five seconds in Giroux destroyed Crosby with a reasonably clean hit. Crosby was simply not in the game after that. Hopefully does not cause return of the concussion symptoms. Having had four from hockey I can reassure everyone that it is not a pleasant thing: nausea, dizziness, headaches, adverse response to light and noise, poor sleep. The whole nine yards.

GrahamHill

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:25 am

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 74):
Pitt out now too

And the Canucks as well. When they went in OT, I had the weird feeling they would lose the game.

Will Alain Vigneault survive this early elimination?

connies4ever

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:59 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 75):
Quoting connies4ever (Reply 74):
Pitt out now too

And the Canucks as well. When they went in OT, I had the weird feeling they would lose the game.

Will Alain Vigneault survive this early elimination?

Many things for the Aquilini family (principals in the ownership group) to consider:

- do they keep Mike Gillis as GM ? (Gillis as a player agent was the one who negotiated Luongo's contract. Isn't that a conflict of interest?)
- do they keep Vigneault ? (who would likely be snapped up by Montreal if they fire him quickly)
- Luongo: trade or not ? Might have to eat part of his huge salary to move him if he agrees to a move
- Schneider: an RFA as of July 1. Rumours are Columbus interested.
- what are the draft priorities ? Forward, defense, another goaltender ?
- this is an aging team already, Sedins 32 this year, for example. Malhotra getting up there also.

Personally, and I'm not a Canucks fan necessarily, losing Christian Erhoff to free agency hurt them more than what was thought originally. But there are only so many dollars. So I think finding a D-man that can start is important, because really there is only Bieksa and Edler as stud defensemen. Hamhuis has his moments but was the goat last night. The rest are place fillers.

I am sure the media machine in Vancouver is already going into maximum warp.

GrahamHill

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 76):
Many things for the Aquilini family (principals in the ownership group) to consider:

No small decisions to make here.

(who would likely be snapped up by Montreal if they fire him quickly)

Montreal need first a GM!  

Any news about this, by the way?

connies4ever

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 77):

No doubt a GM (and a decent one in such a market) is Job #1.
But I think if Vigneault were available the Molson family would make it clear what their preference was.

WestJet747

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:30 am

- do they keep Vigneault ? (who would likely be snapped up by Montreal if they fire him quickly)

You do know that Vigneault has previously coached the Montreal Canadiens and was fired midway through the season, right?

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 77):

I haven't heard anything about the GM position (frankly, anything is better than the last one), but I hear "Patrick Roy" and "head coach" in the same sentence just about everyday these days.
Flying refined.

connies4ever

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:29 am

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 79):
You do know that Vigneault has previously coached the Montreal Canadiens and was fired midway through the season, right?

I do but with a different GM you never know. Not sure Patrick Roy is ready for the pressure cooker that is Montreal. Coaching a junior team is a lot different.

YVRLTN
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:11 am

Earliest ever a Presidents Trophy winner has been eliminated - piss poor stuff Canucks, lets face it, if you cant beat LA, how can you think about getting past St Louis, Nashville, Philly or Boston?? End the pain already...

- do they keep Mike Gillis as GM ? (Gillis as a player agent was the one who negotiated Luongo's contract. Isn't that a conflict of interest?)

IMO yes, but you have to question his recent signings - they have not fitted into the team (Booth, Pahlsson, Kassian) and it seems were acquired with little input from AV, as he has not really tried to make them work and what MG tried to inject into the team backfired and disrupted what they did have going.

I personally like AV, but 6 years, always the time to move on and you have to question his tactics & pairings in the playoffs. Booth with the sisters clearly was not working, so why persevere? Daniel was injured for the last few weeks of the regular season and they put together a great winning streak without him to win the Presidents Trophy. But how many of the successful line pairings in those victories did AV use in games 1-3 against LA???? It seems they thought 22 would be back to bang in the goals and they were totally unprepared that he wasnt. Yes, you can blame the players, particularly guys like Edler, Raymond, Kesler, Higgins & Lapierre who fizzled out like a match in a hurricane, but AV has to take the most blame IMO. You cant bank on 1-0 games in the post season and you cant go with this whole "patience" philosophy, particularly when guys are clearly not comfortable playing in the pairings he was putting out.

- Luongo: trade or not ? Might have to eat part of his huge salary to move him if he agrees to a move

He has clearly lost the support of the organization & the fans, its an untenable postion for him. Shame, as he is still better than most goalies in the NHL. It also cant be denied the team, particularly Edler, seem more confident with Schneids in net. I dont think they can/will ask him to leave, but if Lu wants to leave he can as long as the money side is sorted - rumor is the Leafs are interested, so no money issues there.

- Schneider: an RFA as of July 1. Rumours are Columbus interested.

Really depends on Luongo. Very tough call, cash in or retain who is clearly your #1. I think all the fans want the latter, I think it is because he is so good which partially makes Lu look "bad".

- what are the draft priorities ? Forward, defense, another goaltender ?

Even mix, Salo is probably going to retire. And they got the raw end of the Buffalo deal & I cant see Booth sticking around. Who knows what is up with the second line.

- this is an aging team already, Sedins 32 this year, for example. Malhotra getting up there also.

True, but the sisters have another 2-3 seasons - would Hodgson have made the difference this year? I doubt it, buts thats the sort of player they need coming through.

losing Christian Erhoff to free agency hurt them more than what was thought originally

IMO this was a biggy, they essentially replaced him with Tanev. I really like the kid, he is mature beyond his years - after getting thrown in the deep end last year - but he gets thrown about too easy and can not add to the offense, Ehrhoff weighed in with goals.

So I think finding a D-man that can start is important, because really there is only Bieksa and Edler as stud defensemen. Hamhuis has his moments but was the goat last night. The rest are place fillers.

Hamhuis is our best d-man IMO. Hang him out to dry if you want, but he was better than Edler or Bieksa who were both quite shocking, despite both scoring. I would say that while also at fault yesterday, Ballard made a worthwhile contribution and for the money being paid, Im disappointed AV wont put more faith in him. A big name d-man is a must.

I am sure the media machine in Vancouver is already going into maximum warp.

Its in overdrive, but for the most part no one seems to be surprised after game 1 and really what has come to light is so much wrong with the team - which is so surprising after two such phenomenal seasons.

Go Sens Go I guess... 
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:47 am

DOGS RULE!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PHX787

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:17 am

GUESS WHO JUST DESTROYED THE BLACK HAWKS FINALLY!!!!!!!!!    
Go Yotes!!!

connies4ever

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:39 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 81):
IMO yes, but you have to question his recent signings -

Gillis signing Lu to that insane contract and then in essence be coming his boss is rather unsavoury, to say the least. My take is he has to go.

I personally like AV, but 6 years, always the time to move on and you have to question his tactics & pairings in the playoffs. Booth with the sisters clearly was not working, so why persevere?

Booth wasn't AV's idea, but he had to put him somewhere. Anyone in the press box with better creds. Booth on the market this summer or paid out I'd say.

He has clearly lost the support of the organization & the fans, its an untenable postion for him.

No doubt about it. He is smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall, and he is competitive enough to want to play somewhere (as #1) so I think he'll waive the no-trade. Maybe Columbus will take him (if 'Nucks eat part of the contract) instead of going after Schneids. BTW, who would b/u Schneids ?

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 82):
DOGS RULE!
Quoting PHX787 (Reply 83):
GUESS WHO JUST DESTROYED THE BLACK HAWKS FINALLY!!!!!!!!!
Go Yotes!!!

Enjoy them while you have them.

blink182

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:08 am

He has clearly lost the support of the organization & the fans, its an untenable postion for him. Shame, as he is still better than most goalies in the NHL. It also cant be denied the team, particularly Edler, seem more confident with Schneids in net. I dont think they can/will ask him to leave, but if Lu wants to leave he can as long as the money side is sorted - rumor is the Leafs are interested, so no money issues there.

Exactly, but what I find sad is that Luongo almost appears to be a pariah for everything that went wrong these playoffs. Even AV admitted that his decision to start Schneider for game 4 was not due to Luongo's play. That said, eventually either Schneider or Luongo would have to go. I think its clear that Luongo, fairly or unfairly, will probably leave. I don't see the Canucks giving Schneider a new contract as big as Luongo's, and a Luongo departure will give the Canucks more cap space.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

GuitrThree

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:18 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 82):
DOGS RULE!
Quoting PHX787 (Reply 83):
Go Yotes!!!

My Cats are going to beat up your Dogs...

Going to be a long, defensive 1-nothing, 2-1, 3-2 series with a couple of overtimes.

Anyone who wants to see great goal tending, watch this series.

Go Preds!
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

ipodguy7

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:46 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 86):

Going to be a long, defensive 1-nothing, 2-1, 3-2 series with a couple of overtimes.

Go Preds!

I agree with you as far as the goaltending, but I see the Preds easily taking it due to the extreme depth we have when it comes to scoring, and the whole home ice thing means absolutely nothing as the away team in all 4 regular season PHX/BNA match ups won. I am really hoping we get Hal Gill back in the lineup and soon, he's absence has definitely ben felt. Either way, looking forward to watching some fangtastic hockey with 17,113 of the loudest fans in the NHL (115dB last game) at Bridgestone. Let's Go Preds!
My West predictions:
Preds in 5
LA in 6

I've got Nashville coming out of the west, and Philly out of the East, with Nashville winning in 6

P.S. Once Phoenix's season is over, where's the favorite for relocation? I've heard YQB but then again they don't have a big enough arena currently do they? Could we see the Quebec Nordiques Round 2?

[Edited 2012-04-24 20:46:56]
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

BOStonsox

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:04 am

Hopefully tomorrow (or tonight, since it is now technically Wednesday) the Bruins will win Game 7. If Ottawa beats the Rangers, that would be ideal for us since it means we would play a team we have had no problems beating before. I want a repeat Stanley Cup!
2013 World Series Champions!

PHX787

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 am

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 87):
P.S. Once Phoenix's season is over, where's the favorite for relocation? I've heard YQB but then again they don't have a big enough arena currently do they? Could we see the Quebec Nordiques Round 2?

Relocation? Probably to a little place called JOBING.COM ARENA 

Although I'm a yotes fan, I hope to see some good goaltending from Rinne....because his coach was my coach for this goaltenders camp I did a few years ago....and I hope I learned proper goaltending skills :p

Should be a good series. Smitty vs Pekka.

connies4ever

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:51 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 89):
Relocation? Probably to a little place called JOBING.COM ARENA

Quebec has Le Colisee which seats just over 15,000. I believe it is getting a touch up over the summer in case Phoenix are moved to Quebec -- basically a splash of paint, some minor improvements to amenities, etc. But it was built in 1949 and shows it. A new facility, with all the bells and whistles, is planned and I believe it is to open in 2015. A public/private funding arrangement (province/city/Quebecor Inc.) is to underpin the whole thing.

Seattle not out of the picture, but the arena situation there (Key) is not particularly attractive even if for only 2 years.

Re JOBING.COM ARENA - gonna look awfully forlorn with no tenant. Maybe an American League team can be placed there. Let's call them the RoadRunners, as in days past.

GrahamHill

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 80):
Not sure Patrick Roy is ready for the pressure cooker that is Montreal. Coaching a junior team is a lot different.

If I can allow myself to take an example from football, the same was said about Pep Guardiola when he took over FC Barcelona. His only experience as a coach was just 1 year with the youngsters. When he's been appointed coach of the first team, everybody said it would be suicide because of his lack of experience and knowledge in the field. But he succeeded straight away and won 13 trophies out of 16 possible in 3 years!

I am sure Roy has the shoulders to coach a team in the NHL. He just needs to have his chance to prove it (and what the Habs have to lose? They sure cannot do a crappier season than this one!).

Could we see the Quebec Nordiques Round 2?

As a Habs fan, I hope so. This will bring back some rivalry in Quebec and that will be good to wake up Montreal, who have been asleep for the past 15 years...

connies4ever

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:18 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 91):
If I can allow myself to take an example from football, the same was said about Pep Guardiola when he took over FC Barcelona. His only experience as a coach was just 1 year with the youngsters. When he's been appointed coach of the first team, everybody said it would be suicide because of his lack of experience and knowledge in the field. But he succeeded straight away and won 13 trophies out of 16 possible in 3 years!

Fair enough, good example. He must be crying in his cerveza today, though, after last night's result.

I am sure Roy has the shoulders to coach a team in the NHL. He just needs to have his chance to prove it (and what the Habs have to lose? They sure cannot do a crappier season than this one!).

No doubt the Habs had a crappy season. Haven't been last since before WW2.

EA CO AS

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Once Phoenix's season is over, where's the favorite for relocation?

Actually, the word is two potential buyers want to relocate back to US Airways Center, which has promised renovations to the sightlines to improve the hockey experience. The Coyotes really need to be back in Downtown Phoenix, as Jobing.com is too far out on the west side of town to draw most on-the-fence fans from coming to a game.

Sorry trolls, the Coyotes aren't leaving Arizona.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PHX787

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 93):
Sorry trolls, the Coyotes aren't leaving Arizona.

Someone told me that the Yotes have the lease on jobing.com for a while?

WestJet747

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Go Preds!

Oh geez, at first I thought you were possibly making a reference to Florida making it to the finals. I was about to flame the hell out of you!   

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 90):
A new facility, with all the bells and whistles, is planned and I believe it is to open in 2015. A public/private funding arrangement (province/city/Quebecor Inc.) is to underpin the whole thing.

Not without some scandal though! Not unknown in that province of course.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 90):
Seattle not out of the picture

Potential market conflict with Vancouver? I've also never seen the northwest to be particularly hockey-crazy. I know they've had some pretty successful WHL teams though.

As a Habs fan, I hope so. This will bring back some rivalry in Quebec and that will be good to wake up Montreal, who have been asleep for the past 15 years...

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 93):
Sorry trolls, the Coyotes aren't leaving Arizona

The only troll is Gary Bettman, because he was literally the ONLY thing in the way of Balsillie moving that team.
Flying refined.

connies4ever

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 95):
Potential market conflict with Vancouver?

No. On that topic, b.t.w., Buttman recently stated that a 2nd team in Toronto would NOT have to pay to enter the Leafs 'territory'. The vote on the new arena in Markham is tomorrow and I will track that closely. I think it's 50/50 right now that the Islanders will move to Toronto in 2015.

BOStonsox

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:59 am

Well, that was a bad way for us to go out. We still have the Celtics though.
2013 World Series Champions!

connies4ever

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:21 am

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 97):
Well, that was a bad way for us to go out. We still have the Celtics though.

Seemed to these eyes that the Bruins lacked drive throughout most of the series. Also, some of their scorers didn't show up (Lucic, for one, also Marchand). I know Bergeron was hurt at least for the latter part of the series (shoulder?). Not having Horton didn't help either. That said, where was the bench strength ?

For the Caps, it was the foot soldiers and Holtby that won this one - kind of like the Kings over the Canucks. Congrats to the Capitals. Finally maybe the "choke" label is gone.

connies4ever

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Couple of interesting developments this week in the NHL:

a) open forum in Winnipeg with the GM, Kevin Cheveldayoff, and the fans. In the forum he indicated that the Jets 'significantly' exceeded budgeted revenues, will be in the upper half of teams for revenue, and therefore will be paying INTO the equalization fund, not drawing from it. So much for the naysayers regarding Winnipeg's ability to support an NHL franchise. It may also interest some that, despite all the $$$ going to True North and the Jets, the Blue Bombers football team look like setting another season ticket record this year.

b) yesterday (Apr 26) Markham city council voted 10-2 to approve funding proposal for a new 20,000 seat arena. To be complete in time for 2015 World Junior Hockey Tournament. But I think this is step 1 of a plan to move the Islanders to Toronto. Interesting times in Toronto.