Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Superfly

RE: Who Are The Worst Tourists?

Mon May 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 45):
Because those Americans are lame and think the world hates them and is just waiting to beat them up, when in fact most people (perhaps all even?) realize the American government does not necessarily equate to the American tourist.

On top of that, they only hang out with other Westerners and do the same exact thing they do back in the US - hang out in coffee shops & Internet cafes talking left-wing politics among the Euro-trash that don't even respect them anyway.
Yet when they return to the US, they brag about what an 'exotic experience' they had.

A lot depends on where you go.
When I lived in San Francisco, there were plenty of British tourist and they were very pleasant to have around as tourist. Yet here in Thailand, I've been exposed to the low-class soccer hooligans that I've never encountered in California. San Francisco is not a cheap getaway so that may have a lot to do with it.
The Americans that come this way are great and make it a point to understand the language & culture. Most are well seasoned travelers. Asia is a very expensive getaway for Americans so that may have a lot to do with it. Not to mention, you really are in a different world. Europe is just an older, dirtier version of America with more Mosque.    However the low-class Americans go to The Caribbean and a few popular destinations in Western Europe such as London & Paris. Europe is an easy vacation for a lot of Americans that don't want to get too far out of their comfort zone.

Hell on earth is Pattaya during Ramadan. If anyone has had the mis-fortune of visiting there during that time will know exactly what I mean.

Quoting LOWS (Reply 39):
I once gave bus directions to a guy who was from some suburb in Detroit who tried to give me a hug after I helped him out.

Aw, he probably just thought you were cute.   
Quoting LOWS (Reply 39):
Generally, I don't like anyone who gets in my way whilst walking. I don't care if they're from Freilassing. Just don't get in my way, please.

Sounds like you need to stay inside the house.
Otherwise you can just walk around them. It's a reality you have to deal with when out in public.
Bring back the Concorde

elbandgeek

Mon May 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Quoting Sulley (Reply 14):
In Orlando, the WORST tourists are the Brazilians. They act like animals.

This.

My sister works for Disney and I'm a pretty frequent visitor so we have a lot of firsthand experience. It's unbelievable how obnoxious they are and don't have the slightest hint of respect for other guests. My personal favorite story was when my sister worked at Expedition Everest one of her coworkers was actually from Brazil and one day a tour group start causing a scene by shoving and cutting in line. They blatantly ignored everything the other cast members said and pretended not to understand English so the girl who was from Brazil went and thoroughly chewed them out in Portuguese. They shut up and got in line *very* quickly.

NASCARAirforce

Mon May 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 39):
1. Americans
They can be very touchy and in your face. I once gave bus directions to a guy who was from some suburb in Detroit who tried to give me a hug after I helped him out. Also, they always assume that everyone speaks English. Not just at the airport, but everywhere. So, they begin talking in English.

Wow first of all I find it hard to believe that an American would try to get close - usually Americans are known for being kinda cold and standoffish. When I work in the international terminals at either DTW or MCO, usually people from some other countries kinda freaked me out by getting really close in my face when they talked to me, where I usually stepped back because I felt they were invading my space.

I also find it surprising that someone from Detroit area (must have been from Royal Oak, Ferndale or Ann Arbor) was trying to hug you - people from most other areas of Detroit would probably try to shoot you instead. Us Detroiters (well in my case former) are known for being well... basically a great lakes version of a New Yorker.

Quoting LOWS (Reply 39):
2. Japanese
I don't understand why they take pictures of everything. Not just buildings. EVERYTHING. One time, on a bus, I saw a Japanese guy take a picture of a machine where you validate your ticket. It was just a metal box.

The Japanese are great tourists. Yeah they get a little annoying with their cameras but they are very polite and friendly when they come to the U.S. I remember when I worked at DTW a Northwest flight from KIX came in late, most of the Japanese missed their connections - they were cool about it, the Americans on that flight were the ones making a big uproar.

Luftfahrer

Mon May 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 39):
Also, they always assume that everyone speaks English. Not just at the airport, but everywhere. So, they begin talking in English.

My job requires communication with people from all over the world. Remarkably, Americans are the only ones who ask me if I speak English before they start a conversation with me - although from the position that I have, this is likely going to be the case. They are also exceptionally respectful and easy to get along with in my experience.

Quoting LOWS (Reply 39):
2. Japanese
Quoting LOWS (Reply 39):
3. Chinese

Perhaps the second most kind folks. I think it's rather funny that Japanese take photographs of everything that comes in their way. I think I would do the same with technical appliances in Japan that seem unusual to me - of which I'm sure they exist!   

What I should add is that the vast of majority of those people are away on business, so they may be more well-traveled and culture-sensitive than the average leisure traveler.
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

Superfly

Mon May 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 51):
My sister works for Disney....They blatantly ignored everything the other cast members said and pretended not to understand English..... They blatantly ignored everything the other cast members said and pretended not to understand English.....thoroughly chewed them out in Portuguese.

Ok what character was your sister?  
I now have an image of Mickey Mouse, Dumbo and Donald Duck getting an attitude and putting some hot but obnoxious Brazilian gals in check.   

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 52):
Wow first of all I find it hard to believe that an American would try to get close - usually Americans are known for being kinda cold and standoffish

That is what I was thinking. After-all we have bigger houses and bigger cars because we like to have our space.

must have been from Royal Oak

Royal Oak for sure. He must have been hitting on LOWS and was pretending to be lost just to break the ice and get a feel to see which way he swings.  
people from most other areas of Detroit would probably try to shoot you instead.

LOL!  
Us Detroiters (well in my case former) are known for being well... basically a great lakes version of a New Yorker.

Don't insult yourself or your city. Detroiters are much cooler and down to earth folks that don't take any mess. New Yorkers can be very arrogant and pretentious.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Mon May 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 53):
I think it's rather funny that Japanese take photographs of everything that comes in their way.

I've even found images of myself at a few Japanese adult websites......
Bring back the Concorde

Confuscius

Mon May 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting vegetables2001 (Reply 38):
Quoting Confuscius (Reply 4):
Twenty dollahs, love you long time.

Not him he too big....

Superfly?!   
Ain't I a stinker?

U2380

Mon May 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Hmm, the one that came instantly to mind was Americans. Although, I think that's just cultural differences. American tourists are very rarely deliberately rude. It's just that I don't like being asked how my day is going every 10 seconds, it's very annoying. Also, the noise a single American can make without even realising is astounding.

By far the most annoying thing however, is the American tipping culture, which is slowly infecting the world. It is unbelievably unnecessary anywhere outside of the US.

However, upon further thought, I've come to the conclusion that the worst type of tourists are the antisocial hooligans that are mass produced in the UK.

[Edited 2012-05-28 16:22:10]

luckyone

Tue May 29, 2012 12:10 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 30):
Try going to France and see how you get on , they may speak english, but few will admit to it, even in the hospitality industry, certainly snapped us out of "lazy mode"

My experiences in France have been far different. I have never had a problem communicating with people in English. As soon as one says "bonjour" they know you're not a native speaker. For a great many French people that I've run into, they find it almost quaint that someone even attempts to speak French, and it will never be quite right. Either way, as soon as it's obvious they're not dealing with a French speaker, most of them will indeed address you in English, with little muss or fuss.

Quoting photopilot (Reply 43):
I wonder why it is then that there are so many Americans travelling with Canadian flags sewn onto the back of their backpacks?

The small number of people actually doing that are as ignorant as those who think that Canadians are without their own obnoxious behavior.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 55):

Now there's a pleasant thought...   

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 53):
Remarkably, Americans are the only ones who ask me if I speak English before they start a conversation with me - although from the position that I have, this is likely going to be the case. They are also exceptionally respectful and easy to get along with in my experience.

Most Americans who are able to travel are well aware how fortunate we are to have the "international language" as our mother tongue.

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 40):
I HATE Chinese tourists. They take three steps on the sidewalk in front of some random building or hell...even a trashcan...then have to pose for a family picture.

That can be annoying. Not so much the picture taking, but the fact that they will indeed literally just stop in the middle of the street with no notice or apology, completely oblivious to this thing called rush hour!

Kent350787

Tue May 29, 2012 12:38 am

The worst tourists are any who openly express base ignorance or uncaring cultural insensitivity. I don't care about the nationality and have observed it from many. I think Americans have copped it more than others as its wealth allowed mass international tourism - there are bad apples in any bunch. I may cringe at times at Americans expressing a narrow world view, but at leats the ones I've met overseas are exploring outside this.

And I think boorish people from ones own nationality are probably the worst overall/most embarrassing - unless you're unlucky enough to visit Barcelona at the same time as the ManU supporters club end of season trip......
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

softrally

Tue May 29, 2012 12:49 am

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 23):

The worst tourists are the ones who travel the world only to see it in comparisons.

"You don't have [x] here..."

"Back home, we don't do it that way..."

"This isn't like back home..."

Yes...My parents are like that. That's what makes it so annoying to travel with my parents. Seriously, they should respect other cultures and accept that they are different.  
Flown on: 738, 744, 762/763, 772, 77W, 788, A306, A318/319/320/321, A332/333, E145, E190, CRJ700

zhiao

Tue May 29, 2012 1:32 am

I now realise that the US has just as many instances of litter, poor hotel rooms, poor service etc as we have.

I think the US is ranked high in terms of its service industry, so I think you are wrong there.

PHX787

Tue May 29, 2012 1:43 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 55):
Quoting Confuscius (Reply 56):
Quoting vegetables2001 (Reply 38):
Quoting Confuscius (Reply 4):
Twenty dollahs, love you long time.

Not him he too big....

Superfly?!

Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

hoons90

Tue May 29, 2012 1:55 am

I'm sure quite a number of Korean tourists have caused some scorn by forgetting to tip, or having no idea about the tipping culture in North America, especially since there isn't one in Korea.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

kiwiinoz

Tue May 29, 2012 2:25 am

Having worked in hotels all around the world I have seen a lot. Often local dislike of tourists from a particular country results from cultural misunderstanding going both ways. But I agree with some of the previous comments that in general, tourists who travel with a totally insular mindset are generally the worst.

On a personal level, these are mine:

Drunken Aussies, (and kiwis but to a lesser extent). The bogan traveller is a scourge, especially in Asia. Now, I in no way condone terrorism, but when I walk through Kuta, in Bali on a Saturday night and see what goes on there, I shake my head in wonder at why the locals allow that to happen. I guess it in some way motivated the bombers there a few years back. Drunk, disrespectful, and completely irresponsible.

Older Americans: This is where the "insular" thing comes in. However I have some sympathy for the reasons behind it. Firstly, older people are more set in their ways. Secondly, Americans travel less internationally through their working lives than other nationalities, (for various good reasons). Therefore, quite often, when we meet older American tourists in a foreign land, it may be the first time they have spent in another countries

Sex tourists: Man have I seen some creepy stuff with these guys....yuck. And whilst we are picking on nationalities, I find most of them to be German, American and Australian

Rich Saudis: By my standards, very very rude. Spoilt, entitled brats.

fridgmus

Tue May 29, 2012 3:26 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 50):
Hell on earth is Pattaya during Ramadan. If anyone has had the mis-fortune of visiting there during that time will know exactly what I mean.

Fly, can you please explain that to me/us? In all my trips to Thailand, I just never made it to Pattaya! Thanks.

Quoting Kiwiinoz (Reply 64):
Rich Saudis: By my standards, very very rude. Spoilt, entitled brats.

Couldn't agree more Kiwi, but the Russian tourists, damn, they are by far the worst I've ever had the misfortune to meet. I'll take the UK hooligans over the Russians any day! They have completely taken over the Red Sea resorts in the Sinai and have even had run-ins with the US Army there on Peacekeeping duty.

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

Superfly

Tue May 29, 2012 4:06 am

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 65):
Fly, can you please explain that to me/us?

On top of being very rude, loud, pushy and condescending, they are notorious for gang-raping and torturing ladies from the bars. They'll have 1 guy going in and get a lady to bring back to hotel only to have 5 - 10 guys waiting at the hotel room to gang-rape. I've even seen them burn bar girls with their cigarettes! Many bar owners will not let them in and some even close at night during Ramadan to avoid dealing with drunken Middle-easterners celebrating Ramadan. They're probably the only tourist that make the Russians look good. This only happens during Ramadan in Pattaya.
Otherwise it's little Moscow throughout the rest of the year. The Russians that have been living outside of Russia for a long time or the super-wealthy ones are good and travel well.
You should still visit Pattaya and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Just don't go during Ramadan.

The so-called 'sex tourist' don't bother me. It isn't fair to dump on those old uys when just about all single ladies that visit Jamaica, Dominican Republic as well as Kenya are sex tourist too.
It doesn't matter to me if someone gets laid with someone across town or across the ocean. As long as no one is forced in to doing something they don't want to do, then it's no one else's business.

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 59):
unless you're unlucky enough to visit Barcelona at the same time as the ManU supporters club

Can someone tell me when soccer season ends? It seems like it's year round!   
I played it as a kid and it was fun - when I was a kid.
I really do not like being around soccer/football fans when a game is on. The screaming and shouting over what I consider a kids game is just kinda silly.  
Bring back the Concorde

corocks

Tue May 29, 2012 4:15 am

For me it is the hippie European, regardless of the country, who is backpacking across x country staying in hostels and smelling like crap that seem to hate America so much that all they can do all day long is complain about it. I have had this happen many, many times before. The second we say we are from the US, they go into some rant about how America this or that...

On the flip side, when I have been in a 3rd party country and met Europeans that are professionals, have real jobs, etc - I have found them delightful. We can go on for hours comparing experiences, and getting along. Have kept up with many people from Europe that I have met on travels to Asia or South America.

Of course this is a generalization, but it has been my experience so far.

bohica

Tue May 29, 2012 4:21 am

The worst tourists I ever dealt with had nothing to do with nationality, race, ethnic background, etc. The worst ones are those who are stupid, ignorant, and inside of an automobile. I used to live in the Washington, DC area and nothing pissed me off more than tourists in rental cars, or with out-of-area license plates who drive really slow, blocking the flow of traffic, to sightsee from their cars. I have even seen them stop in a traffic lane and get out to take pictures. They are very ignorant because they are too stupid to have half a brain to pull off the road and park somewhere to see whatever they want to see or to take a picture.

MaverickM11

Tue May 29, 2012 4:39 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 66):
just about all single ladies that visit Jamaica, Dominican Republic as well as Kenya are sex tourist too.

And the Gambia, where I sat confused (briefly) on the beach watching these dowdy, frumpy older white women walking with these Adonis-like young black men. I thought "wow these couples are all so progressive...ooooooooooh waaaaaaait a minute..."

Quoting zhiao (Reply 61):
I think the US is ranked high in terms of its service industry

checkmark  That gratuity is a strong incentive

[Edited 2012-05-28 21:40:31]
I don't take responsibility at all

Superfly

Tue May 29, 2012 4:40 am

Quoting corocks (Reply 67):
hippie European.......backpacking across x country staying in hostels and smelling like crap that seem to hate America so much that all they can do all day long is complain about it.

No kidding. We have a backpacker ghetto here in Bangkok called Khaosan Road and it's infested with the backpacker, Euro-snobs and Americans that pretend to be Canadian with their fake Canadian flag.
I stayed there on my first trip to Thailand in 2006. My goodness, all they ever talked about in the bars & restaurants was how bad America is and how much they hated Bush and the war in Iraq. If that is how they spend their vacation, they must seriously be miserable people.

when-i-was-your-age-i-didnt-go-backpacking-around-europe-i-bombed-the-shit-out-of-it
On the flip side, when I have been in a 3rd party country and met Europeans that are professionals, have real jobs, etc - I have found them delightful. We can go on for hours comparing experiences, and getting along. Have kept up with many people from Europe that I have met on travels to Asia or South America.

Amen to that!
I've made great friendship with people in business while working here in Thailand from all over the world and none of these nationalistic attitudes come out. It's mainly the handful of those on holiday that make fools of themselves.

[Edited 2012-05-28 22:13:44]
Bring back the Concorde

zhiao

Tue May 29, 2012 5:03 am

@Superfly,

The thing is now, unlike 2006, is that there's the Eurozone crisis, so now those wannabe intellectuals have much less to talk about and more time to reflect on their own homeland. Trust me, they aren't talking about Iraq anymore!

zhiao

Tue May 29, 2012 5:06 am

And yes, those young backpacking white people always smell bad. They think they know it all when they don't and live off people's food and couches like roaches.

Confuscius

Tue May 29, 2012 5:14 am

They'll have 1 guy going in and get a lady to bring back to hotel only to have 5 - 10 guys waiting at the hotel room

Ten for the price of one, what a bunch of cheapskates! Are you sure they were not secret service agents?

Me no love you long time.  
Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

Tue May 29, 2012 5:17 am

Quoting zhiao (Reply 71):

Never understood why some people go through life without regard to personal hygiene. It's mind-boggling that many of them act so snooty, preachy and judgemental.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Tue May 29, 2012 5:39 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 69):
And the Gambia, where I sat confused (briefly) on the beach watching these dowdy, frumpy older white women walking with these Adonis-like young black men. I thought "wow these couples are all so progressive...ooooooooooh waaaaaaait a minute..."

I'm glad there is a place where women like that can go and get laid - cause I sure as hell ain't touching that!
They are progressive though. There was an American hippie woman raised as a Communist that met a guy in Kenya and had a baby there that would eventually come to America and endup in the White House in the United States.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 73):
Ten for the price of one, what a bunch of cheapskates! Are you sure they were not secret service agents?

Me no love you long time.

I wish it was as innocent as that.
Bring back the Concorde

ssteve

Tue May 29, 2012 7:22 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 75):
There was an American hippie woman raised as a Communist that met a guy in Kenya and had a baby there that would eventually come to America and endup in the White House in the United States.

If that were true, well then, awesome-- what's the issue? Maybe his father should've been a state governor? Perhaps we need an aristocracy.

kiwiinoz

Tue May 29, 2012 7:26 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 70):
No kidding. We have a backpacker ghetto here in Bangkok called Khaosan Road and it's infested with the backpacker, Euro-snobs and Americans that pretend to be Canadian with their fake Canadian flag.

I know the place well, as it is also infested with the other scourge, the drunken Aussie lout

Bongodog1964

Tue May 29, 2012 8:43 am

Quoting zhiao (Reply 61):
Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 30):I now realise that the US has just as many instances of litter, poor hotel rooms, poor service etc as we have.I think the US is ranked high in terms of its service industry, so I think you are wrong there.

I think you are living in a state of delusion, where you believe that everything in the US is better. I have received excellent service in many countries including my own, just as I have received poor service.

To give one example, every where I have hired a car, apart from the USA you are shown to the car and asked if you understand the controls, and asked to confirm any existing damage, in the US you are given a key and a bay number and left to get on with it, is that poor service or no service at all ?

MillwallSean

Tue May 29, 2012 8:56 am

I don't know for me it depends where I am.
In the med its definitely the brits. The people we send down there isn't exactly Britain's finest...

Otherwise the Asian tourists are only a pain if there is a buffet at the hotel. They run amok to get all they can times three and preferably two more meals in napkins just in case. Same at airplanes, they love to steal the metal cutlery. Its hilarious. Otherwise take as many pictures as you wish doesn't disturb me.

The Americans - if someone just could make them stop screaming. I don't know why the entire MRT, restaurant, airplane needs to know what they have been up to. Some consideration doesn't hurt. Apart from that they tend to be ok. Usually not the Jimmy-Bob types from Alabama that travels luckily...
A mate of mine has a pub in Holland Village Singapore he usually lets loud Americans know that unless they start speaking like the rest of the patrons hell cut their tongue out. He always says it with a smile but I truly believe him...
Somehow though Americans rarely seem to be included among the other westerner groups and expats but stick to themselves.

Cant stand the robe dressed middle easterners that assume everything is for sale and always are impolite and rude. Not sure if they are from the gulfstates / Saudi or what, probably the lot. But I cant stand them and how they look down on Asians and others. Usually walk straight into me as well when they come walking with their entourage of three wives and two servants. These days I keep my elbows high and stare the man in the eyes to avoid a collision. Their kids tend to be completely uncontrollable at hotel breakfasts. The poor filippinas looking after them runs around and the robe dressed men doesn't care at all despite the children making them look like fools.

Add on those annoying WestAfricans we see all over SE Asia. Up to no good, selling drugs, cheating and constantly complaining and causing issues at bars, pubs and restaurants. Spreading HIV too. They also ensure I get delayed in every passport queue there is since half the Nigerians seem to travel on false documents or overstay their visas. Avoid queues with WestAfricans in it at all Asian destinations. Add on that they are cheap Charlies and always always need to have a debate about bills and purchases. I cant stand them. Funny because East Africans or South Africans tend to be decent.

Drunk Russians. Stupid people when drunk, big, loud and obnoxious. Almost wonder if it was drunken Russians that taught the Americans to be loud. All is cash for them and they believe queues are for wimps. I do enjoy the Russians when not drunk. Always good for a laugh and quiet beer at the pool. Often fit women and potbellied men.

Did I forget Argentinians and latinos in general ah well always thinking they are the centre of everything refusing to move and littering everywhere. Somehow they cant accept things like queues, order and take turns.

That was my stereotyping done...
feels much better now.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

SuperCaravelle

Tue May 29, 2012 9:13 am

I've never had negative experiences with Americans. In Europe, a lot of people have negative prejudices towards the US, based on the stereotype redneck religious zealot. We don't see these people (if they exist) around here a lot, so I see many European people being pleasantly surprised at the sophistication of the American tourist compared to their expectations.

For me, I mostly hate the tourists that only visit my country for the drugs. They are usually loud and in groups, and always annoying. Not really nationality specific, but Brits tend to visit Amsterdam while groups from bordering countries stay close to the border.

Superfly

Tue May 29, 2012 9:29 am

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 76):
If that were true, well then, awesome-- what's the issue?

Who said it was an issue? Politics aside, Obama is an accomplished man. My point was that it's unfair when some people give Western men grief for being 'sex-tourist' when women do the exact same thing in the Caribbean and Africa. In fact there was a movie that glorified this - 'How Stella Got Her Groove Back'. It was about a well to do female lawyer in San Francisco that got a young studly boytoy from Jamaica.
Just imagine the uproar if there was a film named 'How Stanley Got His Groove Back' about a man who went to The Philippines and fell in love with a local. The double-standards need to stop. There are many children that come from these sort of relations and some grow up to be accomplished people such as our President.

Quoting Kiwiinoz (Reply 77):
I know the place well, as it is also infested with the other scourge, the drunken Aussie lout

The drunken Aussie's are amusing but I understand what you mean.

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 79):
Cant stand the robe dressed middle easterners that assume everything is for sale and always are impolite and rude. Not sure if they are from the gulfstates / Saudi or what, probably the lot. But I cant stand them and how they look down on Asians and others. Usually walk straight into me as well when they come walking with their entourage of three wives and two servants. These days I keep my elbows high and stare the man in the eyes to avoid a collision. Their kids tend to be completely uncontrollable at hotel breakfasts. The poor filippinas looking after them runs around and the robe dressed men doesn't care at all despite the children making them look like fools.

It can be really ugly at the MBK mall. I've even seen a kid that was probably 10 years old just trow his order of food at the young lady cashier at a KFC because he didn't like the taste. The parents didn't do anything. In fact the parents yelled at the cashier too as well as cut in line. I can't staqnd that place but that is where I buy my Herpa Wings and large farang sized clothes.  
Add on those annoying WestAfricans we see all over SE Asia. Up to no good, selling drugs, cheating and constantly complaining and causing issues at bars, pubs and restaurants. Spreading HIV too.

Why on earth do they come to Asia? I never interact with them in any business capacity and they're not in the tourist areas either. Not sure what they're up to.

Often fit women and potbellied men.

That's the way it SHOULD be!
I admire the Russians for this.   
Bring back the Concorde

TripleDelta
Screener

Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 am

For me, the worst have to be people who drive to Croatia in weak, overloaded and old cars - and especially those who sometimes spend 12+ hours on the road (the finger of blame usually points to the former Eastern Block, but I've seen plenty of such visitors from Western Europe as well).

Minor issues are those tourists on the highways who - driving 20-year old caravans packed with everything but the kitchen sink - start overtaking lorries doing 90 km/h by going 100 in the left lane... where most locals do 130-150. Apart from making the journey more expensive for everybody - when you have to accelerate back to cruise upward of a dozen times - they also pose a safety hazard. Quite a few tailbacks were caused this way...

On the smaller regional roads, the problems are fewer since fewer people know of them - but again every dozen or so kilometers you end up behind a tourist driving an old clunker significantly below the speed limit and swerving unpredictably from side to side through exhaustion from an overnight drive. Usually, the situation cumulates when the locals in the queue behind lose it and start overtaking wherever they can... many a fatal car accident had happened this way (Croatian backroads are very hilly and twisty, with a lot of blind brows and bends).

EDIT: then again, the same can also be said for Croats going to visit their families in Germany, Austria and Italy, especially over the winter holidays (and Croats living in said countries driving back to Croatia)  Smile.

[Edited 2012-05-29 03:55:26]
Hawkeye: "It doesn't make any sense."
Radar: "Well, none of it makes any sense. You just have to send in the right number of forms." - MASH 4077

LOWS

Tue May 29, 2012 10:42 am

Quoting LOWS (Reply 39):
Generally, I don't like anyone who gets in my way whilst walking. I don't care if they're from Freilassing. Just don't get in my way, please.

Sounds like you need to stay inside the house.
Otherwise you can just walk around them. It's a reality you have to deal with when out in public.

When the walkway or, more likely street in the Altstadt, is 3m wide, and they are blocking 2,99m of it, where exactly should I go? Unfortunately, I have not yet developed the ability to fly.

There are whole parts of Salzburg that residents avoid because it is just too difficult to get around even after saying „excuse me“ in three different languages.

ljw81

Tue May 29, 2012 11:02 am

The UK Chavs have to be the worst. They all tend to flock to the same locations.

Benidorm
Magaluf
Ibiza
Falaraki
Tenerife

Probably many other places too, but these are the hotspots from my experience

By the way, I am not saying that everybody who goes to these locations is a scratter, just that these places seem to attract them more than others.

offloaded

Tue May 29, 2012 11:29 am

Well as a long time resident of the Algarve (Portugal), I'd say you can't put it down to a couple of particular nationalities. Every nation has "chavs" and these days, with the relatively low costs of holidays and flights, tourism is for the masses, and that includes those at the lower end of the scale.

Sure the Brits get a bad reputation as being beered up yobs hell bent on drinking their way through the day, but is that all of them? Of course not. And at least they are spending money, and generally quite a bit more than some other nationalities. "Worst tourists" ... well a lot of our dear friends from Lisbon and Porto seem to think that the Algarvians are country bumpkins and when they get here in August don't exactly endure themselves with their superior attitude. That and their ability to make a coffee and a water last 4 hours! Some of the emigrants that work in France are really something else. They insist on speaking French and like to drive the biggest car they can find to show how successful they are.

Other honourable mentions must go to the Spanish who at times seem genuinely surprised that Portugal is a seperate county and to the motorhome community if nothing else for keeping the letters to the editors page going, as to whether or not they put anything at all into the local economy!
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

us330

Tue May 29, 2012 12:40 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 11):
I think from the Phillipines, wondered if she could see the Alps while in Dresden or if she had to go to Denmark(!) to see them. Granted those people, while clueless, can still be nice - and my geographical knowledge is limited, too.

Perhaps even the Canadian who got a free sightseeing tour to the next police station is basically a harmless and nice person - albeit totally clueless: He did the Nazi salute standing in front of the Reichstag Building, which, as you all know, accomodates the parliament

Geographical ignorance is one thing--that's a simple, innocent mistake. But the cultural ignorance is beyond that. The Holocaust memorial in Berlin is barely a five minute walk from the Reichstag. How stupid/insensitive could this guy be?

Here lies my problem with this, the dictionary defines a tip as an "optional gratuity for good service" if its optional how can there be rules attached ?

True, but that's not how it is applied in the U.S..Tipping in the U.S. is very much a cultural phenomenon. Many waitstaff get paid below minimum wage with the expectation that tips will make up for it--Americans know this, but not all foreigners do.

Quoting fridgmus (Reply 37):
No matter how bad you butcher a language, your hosts do appreciate the effort and it goes a long way! Especially in the more rural places.

True. Tis the benefit of low expectations.

Quoting LOWS (Reply 39):
2. JapaneseI don't understand why they take pictures of everything. Not just buildings. EVERYTHING. One time, on a bus, I saw a Japanese guy take a picture of a machine where you validate your ticket. It was just a metal box.

The Japanese don't bother me at all. Yes, they take pictures of everything, and tend to cluster in groups, which can make passing them on a sidewalk difficult, but in general, they are very respectful and often incredibly nice and friendly. They also do a lot of shopping, which helps the local merchants.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 70):
all they ever talked about in the bars & restaurants was how bad America is and how much they hated Bush and the war in Iraq. If that is how they spend their vacation, they must seriously be miserable people.

Some are like that, but not all. There are plenty of backpackers (I was one and still am occasionally) who are simply trying to travel to some great places, but don't have the funds to spend at nice hotels, and enjoy the occasional cameraderie of meeting other people from a similar age range. There are plenty of those who fall into the druggie/pseudo hippie stereotype who aren't the most educated, but there are also others who don't, and are just eager to see the world with open eyes.

Of course, I purposely avoided getting into any political conversations with people relating to the U.S., because I knew I would stick out like a sore thumb and have to defend my beliefs from people that were either less educated on the topic, or simply were so set in their views that they resorted to ad hominem attacks rather than attacking my argument. The only exception was when people just wanted an explanation so that they could better understand U.S. politics.

And yes, I've been to Khao San Road, which isn't nearly as bad as Superfly makes it out to be--yes its a backpacker and guesthouse ghetto, but it pales in comparison to IMHO the worst case of backpacker abuse of a local culture for their own means: Vang Vieng, in Laos. A pretty little town, and fast internet, but otherwise one of the most horrible places I've ever been to--a drug-fueled place filled with deadbeat westerners and other backpackers combining all sorts of pills and alcohol, and then deciding to go rafting in a river. It's a wonder more haven't died there given the poor state of Laos' medical facilities and the relative remoteness of the town (no airport, three hours by bus to Vientiane, and additional hour from Vientiane to the nearest decent medical facilitiy....across the border, in Thailand).

Quoting Superfly (Reply 81):
I've even seen a kid that was probably 10 years old just trow his order of food at the young lady cashier at a KFC because he didn't like the taste. The parents didn't do anything.

Characteristics of worst tourists:
--people who can't control their kids
--people who berate service people and low-level employees for things that are beyond their control and have no ability to fix
--people who do not do proper due diligence and commit culturally offensive faux pas or refuse to adapt to certain social norms that have a direct financial impact on the locals (ie not knowing the U.S. tipping culture--much has been written about it, it's included in nearly every guidebook) or on obvious norms that other locals respect (ie standing in line)

In general, I've found the worst tourists to be those from mainland China, with those from South Asia and the Middle East (including Israel) coming in second place. They tend to be very demanding and are super aggressive, with the attitude of its my vacation, and I can do what I want.

Drunk westerners fortunately can be isolated, and avoided since they all tend to hang out in groups or at certain locations that specifically cater to those individuals.

With me, not knowing the language doesn't bother me as much if the tourists in question are at least respectful and don't make a scene, and recognize that they are the ones that are at fault, not the local.

JJJ

Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 86):
Some are like that, but not all. There are plenty of backpackers (I was one and still am occasionally) who are simply trying to travel to some great places, but don't have the funds to spend at nice hotels, and enjoy the occasional cameraderie of meeting other people from a similar age range

Same here, still backpacking occasionally backpacking well into my 30s.

I already get enough fancy hotels when I travel for business, I'd rather get a closer feel of the country when I travel for pleasure (hostels, couchsurfing, etc.).

SOBHI51

Tue May 29, 2012 1:36 pm

On top of being very rude, loud, pushy and condescending, they are notorious for gang-raping and torturing ladies from the bars. They'll have 1 guy going in and get a lady to bring back to hotel only to have 5 - 10 guys waiting at the hotel room to gang-rape. I've even seen them burn bar girls with their cigarettes! Many bar owners will not let them in and some even close at night during Ramadan to avoid dealing with drunken Middle-easterners celebrating Ramadan

Do not believe how this statement is full of prejudice and with wrong facts.
Muslims including spoiled Saudi's will never come near a bar in Ramadan, Ramadan is 28-30 days long it is usually fasting during day time and praying at night. They can be terrible during the other 11 month's of the year but not in Ramadan, so please get your facts right.

Now if you can give us some proof about those gang rapes, cigarettes burning i would much appreciate it.

BTW Saudi's are not allowed to travel to Thailand, so that makes those statements worthless.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
The worst I have encountered have been from the Middle East
dirtier version of America with more Mosque.  

No comment. More of the usual.

[Edited 2012-05-29 06:39:31]
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

PHX787

Tue May 29, 2012 1:45 pm

The second we say we are from the US, they go into some rant about how America this or that...

When Obama was originally elected, that was the year I went to Catalonia for a few weeks, and everybody was like "Wow those Americans are lucky! They're going to get so much tax breaks." psshhhhh

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 88):
BTW Saudi's are not allowed to travel to Thailand, so that makes those statements worthless.

Where else can't they go?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

SOBHI51

Tue May 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 89):
Where else can't they go?

Israel for obvious reasons

CrimsonNL

Tue May 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Quoting SuperCaravelle (Reply 80):
For me, I mostly hate the tourists that only visit my country for the drugs. They are usually loud and in groups, and always annoying. Not really nationality specific, but Brits tend to visit Amsterdam while groups from bordering countries stay close to the border.

I completely agree! I can always recognize them at the airport. They are usually groups of young men from the UK or Italy, who haven't shaved in 3 days and have Amsterdam written on every piece of souvenir clothing. They always make noise and smell bad. I'm glad the government is finally starting to reduce drug-tourism. I'd rather have 3 elderly in Americans asking me if Denmark is the capital of Amsterdam then these guys!

Another thing that really really gets on my nerve, is when tourists address me in their native language (Usually either Chinese, French or Spanish), without greeting me and asking me if I speak that language. Lady, you're in a Dutch airport, talking to someone working with a German airline, you can't expect me to speak Chinese!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

slider

Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 78):
To give one example, every where I have hired a car, apart from the USA you are shown to the car and asked if you understand the controls, and asked to confirm any existing damage, in the US you are given a key and a bay number and left to get on with it, is that poor service or no service at all ?

That's a cultural difference as clear as day on display there: we're a nation of drivers. You rent a car, jump in, drive. It just is what is is. Plus, thanks to the VIP clubs and such, I can just go right to my car--a Godsend--without having to wait in another BS line. I love it this way. But if someone needs/wants more service, all you have to do is ask.

Quoting ljw81 (Reply 84):
The UK Chavs have to be the worst. They all tend to flock to the same locations.

Benidorm
Magaluf
Ibiza
Falaraki
Tenerife

Oh, they've made their way to Cancun too. Braided cornrows and bad cigarettes, the lot of them.

us330

Tue May 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Saudi's are not allowed to travel to Thailand,

Forgot about that--goes back to the Blue Diamond Affair, which reads like something out of a novel or a murder mystery. The poor Saudi-Thai relationship is one of the more overlooked contemporary diplomatic spats.

slider

Tue May 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Now if you can give us some proof about those gang rapes, cigarettes burning i would much appreciate it.

Well, I can't speak to his specific invocation of this, but there is penty of gang raping going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoiCYwoJKrE&feature=player_embedded

Whether you want to call them tourists, they’re certainly not natives and absolutely not assimilating in most cases. And even happening in their respective homelands. So yeah, we can play this game all you like too and I can dig up plenty of evidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18200190

And more waves of rape in London….

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fing-website-aimed-travellers.html
http://barenakedislam.com/2012/01/29...ault-dutch-woman-in-tahrir-square/

What Western woman would go to Egypt these days??

SOBHI51

Tue May 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 94):
So yeah, we can play this game all you like too

Ok let's play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoiCYwoJKrE&feature=player_embedded

This a Norwegian anti Muslim propaganda and we already know how much Islam is liked there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18200190

So rape cases grew by 53% in the UK, what does that have to do with our discussion?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fing-website-aimed-travellers.html

Ok first it's the daily mail so i will take this story as they say with a pinch of salt, but a woman from Hong Kong agrees via email to go and sleep in somebody house without even knowing who this guy is? Come on.

http://barenakedislam.com/2012/01/29...ault-dutch-woman-in-tahrir-square/

Tahrir square was full of over a million people, Muslim and Christians, from where did this paper knew that it was Muslims who raped her? Did the women asked there religion while being raped.

What Western woman would go to Egypt these days??

Plenty, in Cairo, Sharm, Luxor etc...

slider

Tue May 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 95):
This a Norwegian anti Muslim propaganda

LOL! Yes, just a dirty lie, I'm sure.... None are so blind as those who refuse to see.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 95):
So rape cases grew by 53% in the UK, what does that have to do with our discussion?

Obviously you didn't read the largest demographic of the perpetrators. Just good Muslim boys on holiday, right? Again, I saw holiday because when you immigrate somewhere but don't assimilate you're not native, but alien, hence tourist. And I'm sure there are plenty of Londoners in paticular who would concur.

But don't deny that Islamists don't rape innocents. My point was to support the prior poster's statement.

GDB

Tue May 29, 2012 4:34 pm

Smuggling charlie into Bali is hardly being a good tourist;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-18241357

SOBHI51

Tue May 29, 2012 4:39 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 96):
But don't deny that Islamists don't rape innocents. My point was to support the prior poster's statement

The following is a statistics of crime rates including rape cases in the USA, are all those rape cases committed by Islamists? I wonder
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

I am not denying that there are rapists everywhere including the Middle East but it is not that spread.
Do you know that the penalty for raping children in Saudi is death?

lxa333

Tue May 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Granted it was during study abroad, I once had this american chick in my study abroad program complaining how there wasnt any gatorade in Paris and complained constantly how they don't do things in the american way. Lol and this girl wanted to attend harvard for grad school, 3 years back god knows where she is now. Lol and the pronounciations from americans kill me, "when are we going to the notre dame church" thinking its the university in Indiana. Then there are people who try to act sophisticated as if they are not american, and they lie and say that they are canadian. Who are you trying to fool?!
SWISSAIR-Worlds most refreshing airline