Ps76
Topic Author

Tourist Trains You've Been On!

Sun May 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi!

This thread may well get deleted or have no replies! Besides visiting airports one of the things I do is go on holidays with my family. I take many holidays with my aunt and she loves tourist trains. By tourist trains I mean these things:

My question is where have you taken a tourist train and do you like them. We've been on them in Antibes in the South of France and also Nice and Monte Carlo. In the North of France we've been on one in a place called Le Touquet. I've never seen one in the USA but I assume some places must have them and the rest of the World too. There's also one at my local vinyard here in the UK which I've been on twice which has some great views.

Anyway apologies if this thread is kinda of a topic that nowone really cares about but thought it might be interesting to hear from anyone else who has been on these things!

Many thanks,

Pierre

SmithAir747

RE: Tourist Trains You've Been On!

Mon May 28, 2012 4:09 am

If you mean those miniature trains (like the one in your photo), I have been on two different ones:

1) Fort Wayne Children's Zoo: For decades (since the late 1970s), the zoo in Fort Wayne, IN, has had a miniature train that goes around in the zoo. It is drawn by a miniature-scaled, colourful replica steam locomotive that looks like the style from the early-mid 19th century (big stack, gaily coloured, with a "coal tender" that acts as a seat for the driver). The carriages are red with awning-style roofs, and have wooden benches for riders.

2) The Jelly Belly distribution centre/visitors centre in Wisconsin: This place has a miniature train that runs around a set course in the warehouse facility, stopping at "stations" where videos explain a step in the manufacturing process. Paradoxically, the real Jelly Belly factory in California has no such miniature railway; instead visitors walk on raised, enclosed walkways overlooking the factory floor.

However, if you also mean genuine vintage or excursion railways, I have been on two different ones, one in the UK and one in New Zealand.

1) The Bluebell Railway, UK: Located south of London, running a closed circuit route, is an excursion railway called Bluebell Railway that operate vintage steam locomotives (real vintage, not replicas) pulling vintage wooden carriages with compartments. They also restore vintage locos and rolling stock. They are all-volunteer. When I travelled this railway, I rode on a train pulled by a giant green Golden Arrow steam locomotive and the carriages were all wooden with compartments. I took lots of photos--these are all on 35mm prints (I used a Nikon F65 SLR camera). The Bluebell is PERFECT for any railfan! I loved it, and highly recommend it.

2) The Taieri Gorge Railway, New Zealand. Located in the Central Otago region of New Zealand's South Island, this vintage, excursion railway is headquartered in the city of Dunedin. When I went to Dunedin to give an invited lecture at the University of Otago Faculty of Dentistry, I had some time to explore this region for a few days before my talk. The most memorable experience I had was my journey on the Taieri Gorge vintage train that took me way into the Gorge. It was beautiful countryside! The train takes a leisurely journey through the Gorge, stopping once halfway and at the far end, before returning to Dunedin. If you go, plan to devote at least a half day for this wonderful journey. The carriages are vintage 1940s (?) wooden stock, pulled by a slightly newer diesel engine.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

ArmitageShanks

Mon May 28, 2012 5:22 am

Well, I work on the Alaska Railroad and we primarily have tourists on our passenger trains. I work on the Holland America glass dome cars. It's amazing.

I think that's the only "tourist" train I've been on.

Quokkas

Mon May 28, 2012 10:57 am

My favourite tourist train has to be that running between Queenstown and Strahan in Tasmania. The West Coast Wilderness Railway is a steam train journey through mountainous Tasmanian wilderness. Once it served the copper mines in Queenstown, bringing the ore down to the port in Strahan. The route follows that of the original Mt Lyell Mine railway, crossing high trestle bridges over river gorges thick with rainforest and stopping at restored original stations along the line. The line features features a unique Abt rack-and-pinion section on the 1:16 inclines and steep grades and a hand-operated turntable.

For more details see http://www.westcoastwildernessrailway.com.au/default.asp
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

Bongodog1964

Mon May 28, 2012 12:30 pm

The type of train you show seems to be a European "thing", the US equivalant appears to be the "old town trolley" which I have seen in quite a few US cities. After travelling on the one in Vegas I vowed to never go on another, wooden seats, little suspension, and road humps are not a good combination.

I have seen the trains in tourist areas in France and Portugal recently, and other places before that. The best atmosphere I have seen on one wa sin the town of Quarteira in Portugal, the train appears to go along the promenade every 30 minutes in the evening, packed full of families clapping and singing.

offloaded

Tue May 29, 2012 11:13 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 4):
I have seen the trains in tourist areas in France and Portugal recently, and other places before that. The best atmosphere I have seen on one wa sin the town of Quarteira in Portugal, the train appears to go along the promenade every 30 minutes in the evening, packed full of families clapping and singing.

The wally trolley we call it! I think the Quarteira one does a circuit of Quarteira and Vilamoura. Other towns like Faro, Albufeira and Tavira have them. Hope you enjoyed the Algarve and missed the recent crappy weather.

I took the tramway to Victoria Peak in HKG which was interesting.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

Bongodog1964

Tue May 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Quoting offloaded (Reply 5):
Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 4):I have seen the trains in tourist areas in France and Portugal recently, and other places before that. The best atmosphere I have seen on one wa sin the town of Quarteira in Portugal, the train appears to go along the promenade every 30 minutes in the evening, packed full of families clapping and singing.
The wally trolley we call it! I think the Quarteira one does a circuit of Quarteira and Vilamoura. Other towns like Faro, Albufeira and Tavira have them. Hope you enjoyed the Algarve and missed the recent crappy weather.

Wally trolley seems to sum up the people on it. No didn't manage to escape the crap weather, Algarve was last year. Can I make one thing crystal clear, i was only observing the "wally trolley" not riding on it !

Victoria Peak tramway I seem to recall is at a 40 degree angle or therabouts, certainly wouldn't have wanted to walk up in the 95% humidity.

NASCARAirforce

Wed May 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Durango and Silverton - Colorado 1996
Georgetown Loop - Colorado 1999
Cumbres and Toltec - Colorado 1996
Big Trees Railway - California 1999
Chessie Steam Special - between Michigan and Ohio, and another between Detroit area and above Flint in the 1970s
Cass Railway W.Va - in 1970s
of course the Disney train around Magic Kingdom a few times
Detroit zoo train many times
Toledo Ohio zoo train twice
Cleveland Ohio zoo train once
Jacksonville FL zoo train once
some train that goes around a railway museum in Greenbay Wisconsin 1998
some train at a Florida train museum Fort Lauderdale 1978
Greenfield Village train Michigan a couple times
a few others

Confuscius

Wed May 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Disneyland Railroad

Ain't I a stinker?

andz

Wed May 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Do funiculars count?

If so I have been on the one at Cape Point several times.

http://www.capepoint.co.za/funicular.htm
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

NoUFO

Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 pm

Langeoog is an island in north-west Germany and has an 'Inselbahn' that links the village with the harbor.

GNU License

The ride takes only a couple of minutes, but I loved it when I was a child.

And if cog railways count: Zugspitzbahn.

GNU license
I support the right to arm bears

PITingres

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Ye Olde Kennywood Railroad has been running around the outskirts of Kennywood Amusement Park since (I think) 1945. Like much of Kennywood, it's way older than I am ...
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Ps76
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi!

Just wanted to say many thanks for the replies. It was cool reading on all the different tourist trains but motorised and on rails too.

Many thanks,

Pierre

AeroWesty

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:13 pm

I was surprised to discover via Google that the Redwood Valley Railway at Tilden Park in the Oakland/Berkeley hills is still in operation. A few years ago I ran across a photo of me as a young child in the family albums riding on one of the mini steam trains there:

http://www.redwoodvalleyrailway.com/

Amazingly, it only costs 3 bux a ride!
International Homo of Mystery

Ps76
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi!

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 13):
was surprised to discover via Google that the Redwood Valley Railway at Tilden Park in the Oakland/Berkeley hills is still in operation. A few years ago I ran across a photo of me as a young child in the family albums riding on one of the mini steam trains there:

Love the pics. It looks really nice. Good to see they have these things in the US and around the world.

Many thanks,

Pierre

57AZ

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Worked for the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga, Tennessee and Old Pueblo Trolley in Tucson, Arizona.

Ridden:

Tweetsie Railroad-Blowing Rock, NC. Rode in the cab of ex-White Pass 2-8-2 No. 190.

Opryland Railroad-Nashville, TN.

Stone Mountain Railroad-Atlanta, Georgia

Six Flags Over Georgia Railroad-Atlanta, Georgia

Southern Appalachian Railway Museum, Oak Ridge, Tennessee-ridden through the K-25 plant in the cab and caboose many times-worked my passage a few times.

Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad-Chama, New Mexico-rode all the way and worked for the motorcoach operator for a summer.

Rio Grande Scenic-Alamosa, Colorado

Durango and Silverton Railroad-Durango, Colorado

Manitou and Pike's Peak Railway-Colorado Springs, Colorado

Sacramento Southern Railroad-Sacramento, California-champagne tasting and dinner to follow at the California State Railroad Museum!

Western Railway Museum-Rio Vista Junction, California-motorman let me drive the Brill car back from the end of the line.

Sierra Railway-Jamestown, California

National Capital Trolley Museum-Washington, DC-drove a Toronto PCC around the premises.

Pennsylvania Trolley Museum-Washington, Pennsylvania-drove a Port Authority PCC, Philadelphia city car and Philadelphia interurban car around the premises.

West Coast Heritage Scenic Railway-Squamish, B.C.

Whistler Mountaineer-Squamish, B.C. Free ride from Squamish to Whistler with comp passes to go up the mountain.

Municipal Railway of San Francisco (cable cars)-San Francisco, California

Lookout Mountain Incline Railway-Lookout Mountain, Tennessee

Walt Disney World Railroad

Colorado Railroad Museum-Golden, Colorado-rode in the back of one of the Galloping Geese.

North Carolina Transportation Museum-Spencer, North Carolina.

Of course, being in the industry I do visit quite a few places whenever I have the opportunity. When I go somplace, it's usually to meet someone specific and I end up getting the full tour if not put to work!

Whenever I make it back to Britain and Europe, I shall have to spend a couple of months to properly take in all of the railway heritage sites and visit all of the railroadiana/railwayania dealers. Whenever I go to a conference, I always bring a spare suitcase as it usually gets filled up with books and parts.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

cedarjet

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Had a nice ride on the Flom railway in Norway - very beautiful scenery! I was a bit scenery'd out by then, had been on a cruise ship* for a few days already in the Norwegian fjords which are AMAAAAZING but after all those waterfalls, you get a bit spoiled. There's tonnes on the Flom railway but it's a bit of a yawn when all you've seen are waterfalls for days. I do highly recommend however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flåm_Line

* the ship was the reason for the trip, have always been interested in the Andrea Doria disaster, the pride of the post-war Italian Line sent to the bottom after only three years on the Atlantic run after colliding with the Stockholm on the night of July 25, 1956. Imagine my amazement to learn that the Stockholm is still an active liner! I didn't really care where it was going, just wanted a ride, but Norway, whose main attraction was a. cheap and b. local to me in London, was a fantastic experience!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

corocks

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 pm

I have only been on 3:

From Silverton to Durango - when I was a kid, hardly remember it.

From Quito to Mt. Cotopaxi in Ecuador. Was bat-shit crazy. There were like 200 of us riding on the roof drunk. It was awesome.

Just rode one in Spain on Majorca. Was nothing special.