Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLMA330
Topic Author

Diamond Jubilee Weekend Ahead!

Mon May 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Good day all!

Are you lucky enough to be in London this coming weekend? Unfortunately, I'm not, though I would have loved nothing more!!!
It's too bad, cause I really doubt there will be another Royal occasion of this magnitude anytime soon, unless HM makes it to her Platinum jubilee in 10 years. Never the less, I many not LOL And so I will be watching it on BBC World from across the sea.

To me, it's a momentous occasion, and if it is so for you as well, drop me a line.

If all that comes to your head are negative thoughts about the Queen, please save it for your own thread. This isn't the place.

Here, I just wanted to share with those who care, a Happy Jubilee wish, and if you are indeed in London, go out and enjoy the many festivities.

God Save the Queen.

CXB77L

RE: Diamond Jubilee Weekend Ahead!

Mon May 28, 2012 2:33 pm

Quoting KLMA330 (Thread starter):
God Save the Queen.

Indeed.

I wish I was in London right now, but sadly I can't afford it. I'm a bit of an Anglophile, and definitely a Monarchist. I'm attracted to all the pomp and ceremony surrounding this fantastic event. The next best thing is to watch it on TV (some of it will be shown on the ABC over here). It won't be the same, though.
Boeing 777 fanboy

OA260

Mon May 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Im very much looking forward to it . Should be a great few days of events especially the Thames .

Superfly

Mon May 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Well I'll be darned.
I thought this was a thread about the 1978 Diamond Jubilee Edition Lincoln Mark V.

Bring back the Concorde

Stealthz

Mon May 28, 2012 4:34 pm

I find it amusing.. scary perhaps.. that there are all these commemorative edition magazines, Woman's Weekly.. etc about this Jubilee.

No complaints about the Jubilee, just I remember lying on the carpeted floor of my grandmother's living room looking through the commemorative Coronation editions of the same magazines!!

Disclaimer they were not brand new editions !

2nd disclaimer.. they were not very old either!!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

vegetables2001

Mon May 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Just joking with her indoors, wouldn't it be terrible if she croaked between now and next Tuesday.
A306,319,333 ATR72 BAC113/5, B703/704,717,721,732/3/4/5/7/8,741/1/4,757,763,773/E, DC8-6,9-3/5,10-30, DC106

DanTaylor2006

Mon May 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Was just browsing the Heathrow Airport website and came across this...

http://www.heathrowairport.com/about...ntre/press-releases/a-royal-runway

Quote:
A giant Union Jack flag with an image of Her Majesty the Queen has been unveiled on Heathrow’s runway today to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee and mark the airport’s role in six decades of regal globetrotting.

Measuring 540 square metres, the flag, will give the 780,000 passengers expected to arrive for the celebrations a Great British welcome to the UK. The artwork measures 30 metres in length – 10 metres taller than Buckingham Palace (1) and three times the width of an A380’s fuselage (2) - and is the first time ever an image has been painted on the airfield.

The patriotic emblem was created using more than 400 litres of red, white and blue paint. It has been positioned adjacent to the Northern runway so that passengers will be able to spot it from their flights, with Her Majesty’s profile overlooking the runway and terminals.

Interesting idea. Here's a time-lapse video of it being painted:

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.u...t_union_jack_flag_runway_1_1389817

I'm quite looking forward to the Diamond Jubilee myself, but with work and visiting places I won't get to see much of it! We're having a big Jubilee Celebration weekend at work though, so that should be fun!

KLMA330
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Quoting DanTaylor2006 (Reply 6):
Was just browsing the Heathrow Airport website and came across this...

Thanks for sharing that. It's pretty cool!

SmithAir747

Mon May 28, 2012 11:31 pm

I lived and studied in London for 3 years (2004-2007), and I really miss being there now. It is still my second home, and I am still a Londoner at heart. Hopefully I will return someday for a longer term.

In October 2006, I actually met Her Majesty and Prince Philip. What an opportunity! She reminded me so much of my own mother.

Even though I cannot be in London right now, I want to wish Her Majesty a wonderful Diamond Jubilee.

SmithAir747 (An American but still a Londoner and Anglophile!)
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

bananaboy

Tue May 29, 2012 1:39 am

I am British and will be feeling very homesick this weekend.   

I also missed the Golden Jubilee, and will be missing the Olympics too. Damn it! I would have liked to have organised a street party where I was living - would have been a lot of fun.

Congratulations, ma'am.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

jwhite9185

Tue May 29, 2012 5:21 am

The opinion of most people I know:

"Who cares... Wait, we get 4 days off?"

QFA380

Wed May 30, 2012 1:06 pm

An incredible occasion and hopefully I'll be able to watch some of it. I think it's a shame though most from the Commonwealth (especially here) won't really care about the jubilee. A street in Canberra is being renamed QEII Terrace, not much really. I think Canada has a relationship with the monarchy that I very much envy here. All without having the union jack on the flag while we're invariably destined for a republic which will most likely be accompanied by an awful new flag.

God Save the Queen.

Indeed!

One of the most awesome experiences I've ever had was seeing HM enter the Great Hall of Parliament here to that anthem.

KLMA330
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 11):
One of the most awesome experiences I've ever had was seeing HM enter the Great Hall of Parliament here to that anthem.

That would have been great indeed.

Back in '95, I saw Her during the VJ Celebrations in London, along with the rest of the Royal family. She was waving to the crowds through the sun roof of her Rolls Royce. Was priceless.

And you're right, in Canada we have no problem with the Royals. Quite the opposite. It's a great relationship. It's one of the main differences with the US. Take that, and a couple other things away, and we may as well call ourselves the 51st state. All goes back to the 1812. Thank God the British won that war!  

na

Wed May 30, 2012 3:34 pm

I am a bit of an anglophile so I wish her all the best. Amazing how fit the Queen still is. I wouldnt wonder much if she reaches the age of her mum. And I do wish her exactlly that. Three cheers!

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 10):
The opinion of most people I know:
"Who cares... Wait, we get 4 days off?"

"who cares" people are not what I like. Sounds a bit like the people who care more about their next beer than the neighbour. I can understand people more who say "Chelsea won the European Cup? Who cares!" than who dont care for the jubilee of the symbol of the state.

KLMA330
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2012 8:39 pm

Quoting na (Reply 13):
"who cares" people are not what I like. Sounds a bit like the people who care more about their next beer than the neighbour. I can understand people more who say "Chelsea won the European Cup? Who cares!" than who dont care for the jubilee of the symbol of the state.

Well said. Thank you  

Pyrex

Thu May 31, 2012 6:27 am

Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

MadameConcorde

Thu May 31, 2012 6:39 am

Shame HM did not order a Concorde refitted for flight along with ordering the QE2 back to the UK to stay.

Concorde Fly over at The Queen's Golden Jubilee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKy5DLRpGhk

The very great aircraft designer Barnes Wallis came out with what to me is a bit of a touchstone....."There is NO such thing as impossible, only differing degrees of difficulty'

and now there won't be the mighty Vulcan XH558 participating either after she had two of her engines destroyed...

I hope the celebrations will be nice yet they will never be as spectacular as 2002.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzs-3V6mi2c&feature=related

May Her Majesty still be with us in another 10 years! Wishing her good health and a very long life.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Airstud

Thu May 31, 2012 7:08 am

Don't they have to build another line on the Underground?
Pancakes are delicious.

Quokkas

Thu May 31, 2012 9:26 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 16):
Shame HM did not order a Concorde refitted for flight along with ordering the QE2 back to the UK to stay.

If HM actually owned those things, she could have. She has had plenty of opportunity to make an offer...

But yes, bless her little cotton socks. HM has seen a lot of major changes during her reign and is held in high regard even by republicans.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

ltbewr

Thu May 31, 2012 10:26 am

HRM Queen Elizabeth II is a very respected and loved monarch by all but a small number of her subjects. Her extremely long and relatively peaceful reigne is well worth honoring. I hope all the celebrations are enjoyed, they boost the moral of a country needing it with the current economic crises, and a great beginning of what could be one of the most exciting summers in the UK in many years (with the Olympics later this summer).

na

Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 16):
I hope the celebrations will be nice yet they will never be as spectacular as 2002.

That was fantastic indeed. Now if BA would have A380s already...

MadameConcorde

Thu May 31, 2012 10:52 am

Quoting na (Reply 20):
Now if BA would have A380s already...

Here's my idea:

I can very well imagine an air display with a 4 or at least 3 A380s flying formation with the Reds all around, some Lancasters, Spitfires, and the mighty Vulcan XH558 taking Concorde's place (sigh) as the Star of the flying display. They could also add helicopters and other cute flying things to it ahead and behind and why not the two BA Olympic painted Airbii.

jwhite9185

Thu May 31, 2012 2:24 pm

Quoting na (Reply 13):

Well like it or not, I was reading today that LHR is expecting one of its busiest days on Friday as people take advantage of the extended break and leave the country!

There's quite a few people in the UK that have no time for the whole monarchy and think its a huge waste of money.

ajd1992

Thu May 31, 2012 2:39 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 17):

Don't they have to build another line on the Underground?

May actually be for the Olympic Games rather than the Jubilee.

The Docklands Light Railway got an extension too I believe.

CXB77L

Thu May 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 22):
There's quite a few people in the UK that have no time for the whole monarchy and think its a huge waste of money.

That may be true, but thankfully, those are but a small minority. England tried the republic thing a few centuries ago, and it didn't work.

The occasion of the Diamond Jubilee is a joyous one. I can't wait to see it  

[Edited 2012-05-31 08:17:35]
Boeing 777 fanboy

TheCol

Thu May 31, 2012 10:00 pm

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 22):

Hardly a waste of money. The total revenue the UK makes off the Royal Family ammounts to well over 200 million pounds annually.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

NorthstarBoy

Thu May 31, 2012 11:41 pm

Can anyone enlighten me as to exactly when QEII's tenure began? I've read on wikipedia that her father, King George, died in February of 1952 but that she wasn't actually crowned until june of 1953. All of that leaves me confused about why her 60th is being celebrated now, versus either back in February or next year.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

Airstud

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:07 am

Hmmm....good question, that.

Maybe it's just 'cause summer is a better time for a party?
Pancakes are delicious.

CXB77L

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:23 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 26):
Can anyone enlighten me as to exactly when QEII's tenure began? I've read on wikipedia that her father, King George, died in February of 1952 but that she wasn't actually crowned until june of 1953.

She ascended to the throne the day her father died, and was proclaimed as Queen shortly afterwards. The Coronation ceremony is just that - a ceremony.
Boeing 777 fanboy

Airstud

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:50 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 28):
She ascended to the throne the day her father died, and was proclaimed as Queen shortly afterwards. The Coronation ceremony is just that - a ceremony.

Except, her father died in February of 1952, so what NorthstarBoy is asking is why wasn't the Jubilee celebrated back in February.

If the Jubilee is to celebrate the 60th anniversary of her coronation, rather than of her accession, then it would have to take place in June of next year, since she was totally coronatified in June of 1953, yes nineteen fifty THREE (unless Wikipedia has that wrong).
Pancakes are delicious.

CXB77L

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:16 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 29):
Except, her father died in February of 1952, so what NorthstarBoy is asking is why wasn't the Jubilee celebrated back in February.

Well, I'd imagine that's partly because the weather in the UK in February is rather bleak. It's the same reason why Queen's Birthday is celebrated in June instead of her actual birthday which is in April.
Boeing 777 fanboy

KLMA330
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Definitely all has to do with the weather.

Same reason as to the Monarch's birthday. Regardelss of when their birthday actually is, it's alwasy celebrated in June.

bananaboy

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:16 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 31):

Definitely all has to do with the weather.

Talking of the weather....

Will remind her of the weather on her coronation! I hope it cheers up a bit.

Keeping fingers crossed for a successful procession - very much looking forward to seeing it. Watching live Sky News UK via A-PAC. Hopefully Eamonn Holmes won't be on too much and none of the vessels have any technical issues.

Also hoping for better weather for our long weekend next week - The Queen's Birthday.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

TheCommodore

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:05 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 24):
The occasion of the Diamond Jubilee is a joyous one. I can't wait to see it

I too wish her all the very best for the Diamond Jubilee            

She has set the mark so high, that's its going to be hard for those that follow.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

sbworcs

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:28 am

I really like the Monarchy.

The Queen works damn hard promoting this country around the world.

They cost us money - yes. But if we did not have them the loss of income that surrounds them would be far greater. The pomp and circumstance that surrounds the monarch and the heritage behind it is a hugh tourist draw for this country that far outwheighs it's cost.

You look at other countries around the world - not many have such a respected head of state that has been in place for so long.

May she reign for another 10 years!
The best way forwards is upwards!

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Quoting sbworcs (Reply 34):

I am no monarchist... but true... I wish the Queen another 10 years of reign, even more with good health all the way through the rest of her life!!!

Long Live Her Majesty QEII

Is there a way to see the "boat party" on the Thames live on the Internet? Those of us outside of the UK generally get BBC and Sky access to their live videos blocked for some odd reason.

Any idea if there is some other way to see a livecast of the boaties on the Thames?

CXB77L

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Quoting sbworcs (Reply 34):
I really like the Monarchy.

The Queen works damn hard promoting this country around the world.

They cost us money - yes. But if we did not have them the loss of income that surrounds them would be far greater. The pomp and circumstance that surrounds the monarch and the heritage behind it is a hugh tourist draw for this country that far outwheighs it's cost.

You look at other countries around the world - not many have such a respected head of state that has been in place for so long.

I'm not British, but I love the Monarchy just as much. If she lives as long as her mother did, she would have another 15 years on the throne  
Boeing 777 fanboy

Hywel

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 35):
Any idea if there is some other way to see a livecast of the boaties on the Thames?

You can watch an Italian commentary here:

http://video.repubblica.it/mondo/in-...la-regina/97222?video=&ref=HREC1-6

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 36):
I'm not British, but I love the Monarchy just as much. If she lives as long as her mother did, she would have another 15 years on the throne

I am all for it.

Then they can switch to being a Republic with no more such thing as a Commonwealth. Canada and Australia are old and responsible enough to separate and go their own way.

Those younger Royals are never as good as the parents as they haven't gone through the same hardships and life experience. They are past spoiled - over spoiled. They are a world of difference, Moons away from the parents. I see it here in Monaco since after the departure of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier from this world and Monaco. Things have changed and only for the worse.

Long Live Queen Elizabeth II

At least two more Jubilees please!

CXB77L

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):
Then they can switch to being a Republic with no more such thing as a Commonwealth. Canada and Australia are old and responsible enough to separate and go their own way.

Those younger Royals are never as good as the parents as they haven't gone through the same hardships and life experience. They are past spoiled - over spoiled.

Australia and Canada are very much independent countries that make their own laws.

Needless to say, I strongly disagree with the call for a republic, and I strongly disagree that the younger royals are spoilt. But that's for another thread. May the British Monarchy continue for centuries and millenia to come.
Boeing 777 fanboy

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Why are the bagpipers playing "When the Saints"? Forgive my ignorance but isn't this an American tune/anthem?

KLMA330
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:39 pm

The River Pageant was spectacular! Even with the rain.

God Save the Queen. Look forward to the rest of the celebrations, and may she be healthy to provide us with a Platinum Jubilee in 10 years time.

Thank you for all the lovely comments, and thank you for keeping the thread positive and "Jubilant". Much appreciated  

Ken777

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:12 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 33):
She has set the mark so high, that's its going to be hard for those that follow.

I was thinking about that earlier today. Charles is far too old to have a long time as King. William will also be too old by the time his turn comes.

The relatively young age of Elizabeth when she became Queen means it will be generations before anyone will have as long a reign as Elizabeth.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):

I would hate to see the UK become a Republic. What would you do? Turn Buckingham Palace into a Bed & Breakfast?

And just how great would be the loss if Prime Ministers didn't have their weekly meeting with the Queen, or King. It is probably the singular most responsible long term political act in politics.

While Commonwealth countries might be able to go their own way even now there is little doubt in my mind that they would be the losers if they did.

I've seen a couple of hours of today's events on TV. My only regret is that I didn't think about the events of this weekend early enough to have used some FF miles for the wife & I to have gone to London. From what I saw it would have been well worth it.

TheCommodore

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:17 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 42):
I was thinking about that earlier today. Charles is far too old to have a long time as King. William will also be too old by the time his turn comes.

Well there is a line of thought, and that is, Charles might not become king. It may be handed straight to William.

But that's opening up a whole can of worms for another day
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

seb146

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:51 am

If all that comes to your head are negative thoughts about the Queen, please save it for your own thread. This isn't the place

???

Perish the thought! Long Live The Queen!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

GDB

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:52 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 43):
Well there is a line of thought, and that is, Charles might not become king. It may be handed straight to William.

Doesn't work like that.
Two schools of thought on Charles, one is that he's a meddling eccentric who is nowhere near as smart or as informed as he thinks he is, the other is that he cares deeply about many important things and far from lounging around tries to put a lot back.
Both are substantially true IMHO.
But the Queen's popularity is down to her devotion and total adherence to the vital non political role of Head Of State.

Women in that family live long and tend to retain their faculties until the end, Charles is in his mid 60's, who knows what will happen?

TheCommodore

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:27 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 45):
Doesn't work like that.

But if he decided not to become King, and instead let it pass to William.. is that not a possibility ?

sbworcs

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:34 am

I absolutley loved the river pageant. The choir who sang Land of Hope & Glory whilst obviously soaked through were brilliant.

CLip for those that can get BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18316899

The whole event made me proud to be British which is not something felt for a while!

[Edited 2012-06-04 00:50:42]
The best way forwards is upwards!

GDB

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:47 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 46):
But if he decided not to become King, and instead let it pass to William.. is that not a possibility ?

It could though it would be seen as a huge dereliction of duty on his part.
He would need an excuse/cause like physical/mental infirmity, which he'd have to prove.
It would also cause a constitutional crises, be very dangerous for the Monarchy, such as it was last time in the 1930's. That period is seared into them and I just cannot see him wanting to repeat that, even if, as it turned out, that abdication as a stroke of luck. We got a dedicated and steadfast King who was an important rallying figure in the most dangerous time in this countries history, rather than a somewhat effete, petulant man with some dubious views.

(The King was also the last Monarch to 'strongly advise' a Prime Minister against a course of action, Churchill was dead set on being on the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, on the first day of the landings! His advisers, Chiefs Of Staff all tried without success to persuade him otherwise, finally they turned to the King, who pointed out to Winnie that he too would like to be there but knew that doing so would be a dangerous distraction and that frankly, he had more of a right than Churchill, they were HIS armed forces after all. Churchill got the point).

MadameConcorde

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:55 am

Quoting sbworcs (Reply 47):
I absolutley loved the river pageant.

It was fabulous. Thanks to Her Majesty and all participants in the fleet.
The Royal Barge with the one thousand + boaties parade on the Thames was a thrill.

For the memories:

Program
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/Features/DG_WP200687

Pictures gallery
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ageant-set-sail.html?frame=2238264

Some great pictures here on the Daily Mail web pages

Ruling the waves: Three generations of Royals join the Queen as she sets sail down the Thames on glorious Jubilee river pageant

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-river-pageant.html#ixzz1wl2iB9u3

Tonight is the concert at Buckingham Palace followed by the lighting of the beacons in the whole Commonwealth

Tuesday is morning church ceremony and afternoon will be the carriage procession and flypast.

I wonder what planes will be in the flypast considering that there is no more Concorde   and XH558 the mighty Avro Vulcan is temporarily grounded.   and no BA 380 yet... what will be flying along with the Reds? Spitifres? Lancasters? Typhoons?

I wish Her Majesty 10 years more of good health maybe even 20 more so we can see her Platinum Jubilee!

Go Mags!
Stay healthy and strong!
We all want to keep you many more years!!!