Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CXB77L

RE: Diamond Jubilee Weekend Ahead!

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:58 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 45):
Women in that family live long and tend to retain their faculties until the end, Charles is in his mid 60's, who knows what will happen?

Well, if Her Majesty lives as long as her mother did, Charles will only be able to take the throne in 2027, by which time he'll be 79 years old.

Quoting sbworcs (Reply 47):
The choir who sang Land of Hope & Glory whilst obviously soaked through were brilliant.

Absolutely. They didn't let the rain ruin the pagent. That performance is all the more admirable given that they were, as you say, soaked from head to toe.
Boeing 777 fanboy

TruemanQLD

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:58 am

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 22):
There's quite a few people in the UK that have no time for the whole monarchy and think its a huge waste of money.

Less than 20% I believe... so not really that many. The sort of popularity the monarchy has in the UK is quite astounding, roughly equal to the popularity 60 years ago! The ground of it being a waste of money are also very untrue... maybe for countries such as Australia and Canada, but for the UK, they make a killing off the tourists who come to see the Royal family.

trident3

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:23 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 49):
I wonder what planes will be in the flypast considering that there is no more Concorde   and XH558 the mighty Avro Vulcan is temporarily grounded.   and no BA 380 yet... what will be flying along with the Reds? Spitifres? Lancasters? Typhoons?

It is quite a brief flypast this time around, the BBMF (including the Dakota) , a pair of King Airs and the Red Arrows.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/r...ypast-for-diamond-jubilee-30052012

The Queens Birthday Parade, otherwise known as Trooping the Colour is on Sat 16th June and there will be another flypast for that which should be bigger but no details are available yet,
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

na

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:38 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 43):
Well there is a line of thought, and that is, Charles might not become king. It may be handed straight to William.

Only if Queen Elizabeth rules 10 or 15 years more and her son is too old and unfirm to take over the rule. That is a possible scenario. If he can I am sure Charles will take over his duty once the day comes. The female royals of the UK have a talent for very long life though and Elizabeth looks determined to follow her mother in that respect. She is a very healthy person with no tendency to become sickly.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):
Then they can switch to being a Republic with no more such thing as a Commonwealth.

I do think that would be a massive mistake if the Brits would do that. The monarchy as it is now (no direct power, only representative) is a major factor of the British identity and a very large tourism factor. Do you really think a more or less dull man or woman in grey suit with a very high lifelong pension, limousine, driver, secretary and office until he dies, and that after a mere 5 years of work like we have in democratic Germany could fill that role? I think not. Britain is a democracy even with a royal head of state as the power lies in the hands of the elected "suits". No use at all to change, as imho it´ll only have negative impact on the country in general, morally as well as economically.

MEA-707

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:06 am

Quoting na (Reply 53):
If he can I am sure Charles will take over his duty once the day comes.

Exactly. He is motivated to become King and has once off the record said he'd expect to reign about 10 years. I guess the only skipping scenario would be if he's suffering from Alzheimer or so, but most likely he might be king for a few years from his mid 70s onwards and will let his son do most exhausting international trips if he for instance gets some minor elderly problems like walking difficulties.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

GDB

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Quoting Truemanqld (Reply 51):
Less than 20% I believe... so not really that many. The sort of popularity the monarchy has in the UK is quite astounding, roughly equal to the popularity 60 years ago! The ground of it being a waste of money are also very untrue...

Well, Mr Smith and his Republic group had their gathering, they said a 1000, (compared to around a million who were there to see the Queen, enjoy the day), others said they numbered a couple of hundred.
He of course has a right to do this, though he'd never accept it, the Monarch is the ultimate guarantor of this right.
It's true, polling organisations have never known an issue where the numbers have stayed so static, for so long.

To claim that more turn up for Gay Pride or the Notting Hill Carnival completely misses the point and seems rather desperate, still Smith was sensible enough not to claim, as he did for the 2002 Golden Jubilee, that the event would be met with mass indifference and poorly attended, the latter only applied to his group.

I think 60p per year, from each taxpayer, is pretty good value for maintaining this institution.
Unless Mr Smith and his friends intended to conduct theft on a large scale, the exchequer would miss the profits the Monarchy gives to them from their land. This was after all deal that underpins the Civil List, the allowance from government to allow the Royal Family to carry out their duties, after one of her ancestors got in debt and did the deal with Parliament. Parliament knew a good deal, strongly favourable to them in perpetuity when they saw one.

President Branson? President (god help us) Cowell?
No thanks.

KLMA330
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YhK9D4N6-Y

There will never be another one
Born into the Empire's setting Sun
Popes and Presidents have come and gone
Elizabeth, rules on...

Beautiful  

MadameConcorde

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 56):
There will never be another one
Born into the Empire's setting Sun
Popes and Presidents have come and gone
Elizabeth, rules on...

to which Beethoven would have answered...

"Prince, what you are you are by accident of birth; what I
am, I am through my own efforts. There have been thousands of
princes and will be thousands more; there is only one Beethoven!"

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

petertenthije

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:46 pm

I have great memories from the jubilee concert 10 years ago where I was in the crowd. I am trying to watch the concert now, but the reception is quite bad. Both image and sound freezes often. Can't be from atmospheric conditions cause the weather looks very good in London.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

MadameConcorde

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 58):
Both image and sound freezes often. Can't be from atmospheric conditions cause the weather looks very good in London.

I looked for a live internet feed this one from an unknown site seems to work very well
http://www.gossipcop.com/queen-eliza...am-palace-june-2012-streaming-bbc/

Ken777

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 43):
Well there is a line of thought, and that is, Charles might not become king.

It would take an exceptional situation, like death, to keep Charles from being King.

Quoting GDB (Reply 48):
The King was also the last Monarch to 'strongly advise' a Prime Minister against a course of action,

I believe that Elizabeth would be pretty effective in her discussions with Prime Ministers - without strongly advising.

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 54):
but most likely he might be king for a few years from his mid 70s onwards and will let his son do most exhausting international trips if he for instance gets some minor elderly problems like walking difficulties.

You need to remember that his father is still going strong - albeit with an infection today that puts him out of action today. Dad hits 90 very soon and seemed to be more than capable on the barge yesterday. I believe Charles will stay on the throne until death, giving William sufficient time to enjoy having and raising a family.

petertenthije

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 59):
I looked for a live internet feed this one from an unknown site seems to work very well

I'm watching this on BBC2 (it's on Dutch TV as well actually). But the last 20 minutes the reception has improved a lot.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Lord Flashheart, 1989

MadameConcorde

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 61):
I'm watching this on BBC2

Anything BBC gets blocked down here. I don't know why it must be some legal thing with some of the E.U. countries. The feed I am watching is a live re-take from the BBC. So far it is excellent. Annie Lennox is now performing dressed up as an angel with white wings and a glitzy silverish long dress.

petertenthije

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 62):
Anything BBC gets blocked down here.

Get cable so you can watch on TV like me, instead of online! Unless your in Zimbabwe I suppose cause BBC is banned entirely overthere! 
Lord Flashheart, 1989

GDB

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:52 pm

Went over to my Mum's place today, she remembers the 1952 Coronation well, as she was in the crowd at the top end of Oxford Street, recalling the weather that day was rather worse than yesterdays rain. In fact that's when her and my Dad first got together - prior to a two year hiatus when he did his National Service in the army (Royal Electrical And Mechanical Engineers).

Amongst the still vivid recollections were seeing the young Queen as she came past in the carriage, the Queen of Tonga, who despite the inclement weather stood in her carriage waving enthusiastically to the crowd.
Also, to keep their place in the crowd, Mum, her best friend, Dad and his pal, took turns, one at a time, to escape the rain and get a hot drink/refreshments, in the nearby Lyons Restaurant.

Other members of the family, close friends, who did not choose to go into London, went to a neighbours house to watch the Coronation on this new thing they were the first in their street to have, called a television. Big wooden thing in the corner of the room, 9 inch screen but with a 12 inch 'converter'.

Prior to that, her first job was at a dressmakers, one which had made Princess Elizabeth's dress for her 1947 wedding to Phillip, Mum did not work on that but was given a small sample of surplus material from it.
Alas, at some time over the years since, it was lost.

cpd

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:10 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 55):
I think 60p per year, from each taxpayer, is pretty good value for maintaining this institution.

I'm supposedly Republican myself, but the Queen and her family perform a great role in society, and in the world.

They have a less political role than say a here-today, gone-tomorrow President would have (to borrow a statement from your PM David Cameron). She brings a rational, thoughtful approach to the table that you only get from being exposed to public life and leadership for so long.

There are benefits to the Monarchy and the Royal Family, so in that respect, I support them and wish the Queen and her family the best.  

CPH-R

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:03 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 42):
Charles is far too old to have a long time as King.

So? Edward VII only had 7 years on the throne, yet he was a key part in turning the antagonistic relationship with France around, an absolutely crucial feat on the doorstep to World War One.

Closer to home, we had Frederik VIII whose reign lasted a mere 6 years (1906-1912), and whose reign was hampered by an ill health, but who managed to influence his father (Christian IX, great-grandfather of both Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh incidently) into accepting parliamentarism AND he managed to smooth over the relationship with the German Empire, crucial in ensuring Danish neutrality during World War One.

The Duke of Edinburgh turns 91 in a few days time and I personally can't see why Prince Charles wouldn't live that long.

On the subject of the actual Diamond Jubilee concert, was I the only who found it slightly embarrasing that a few of the artists had no clue what the concert was in celebration of? I thought I heard a few "Happy Birthday!"'s in there...  

mariner

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:13 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 46):
But if he decided not to become King, and instead let it pass to William.. is that not a possibility ?

I very much hope he doesn't make that decision. It isn't a popularity contest.

We have no idea how he will turn out as king. If he becomes Charles the Daffy, hey I can handle that - I think it would be fun.

No one gave tuppence for George VI's chances as king - the stutterer - before the event, and yet he became much admired and burnished the crown with honor.

mariner
aeternum nauta

GDB

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 67):
No one gave tuppence for George VI's chances as king - the stutterer - before the event, and yet he became much admired and burnished the crown with honor.

Totally agree, he also provided the template for his Daughter as a Monarch.

bjcc

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:04 am

It's highly unlikely that Charles will step aside when The Queen dies, unless she lives to a point where he isn't capable of taking the Throne.
Actually, he's become a very sensible bloke, and at the moment he's perfectly free to voice his opinions. When he takes the Crown though I think we'll see him become neutral in the same way as The Queen is now. She ascended to the Throne at a very young age, and I don't doubt she would have had voiced opinions herself had she had the opportunity.

MadameConcorde

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:21 am

Quoting bjcc (Reply 69):
It's highly unlikely that Charles will step aside when The Queen dies

King Edward had to abdicate his throne to marry a divorcee

A British King cannot be married to a divorced woman it seems.

Charles married a divorced woman, and the Queen allowed and approved their marriage as long as Charles gave up his right to the throne.

Wow!

na

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 70):
Charles married a divorced woman, and the Queen allowed and approved their marriage as long as Charles gave up his right to the throne.

Thats wrong. Edward was a different time in history, a king marrying a divorcee was a no-go, not only legally, but also morally. One should also not forget, that Wallis Simpson and her ex-King were politically sympathizing with the pre-war Third Reich, which certainly made matters worse.
I do think Charles would make a good king, although in general nowadays I somehow feel a female Monarch is more accepted than a male. He´s very experienced, got his own mind, but is too old to rebel. And with his mother he got the perfect teacher for the job. In any case he wont rule very long so he will be seen as an interim King.

MadameConcorde

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:13 am

Quoting na (Reply 71):
I do think Charles would make a good king

Certainly, as he had the right training from the right person (The Queen)... but no hurry!

Charles can wait!

I think the Queen will live a long life - another Jubilee or two I hope! She has the genetics. Looking at her during the ceremonies and in that awful bad weather was amazing. She is really strong and very much a wise woman.

I am no Monarchist but in her case I will say "Long Live Queen Elizabeth II"

In comparison:

1. Rama IX Kingdom of Thailand 5 December 1927 9 June 1946 65 years, 362 days

2. Elizabeth II United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand 21 April 1926 6 February 1952 60 years, 120 days

[Edited 2012-06-06 03:16:07]

na

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 72):
I think the Queen will live a long life - another Jubilee or two I hope! She has the genetics.

I very, very much wish her so. During the recent celebrations she appeared to be ten years younger than she actually is. Wouldnt it be great if she would still be sitting on the throne while celebrating her 100th birthday? That will be the biggest party the UK, and maybe the world has ever seen!

MadameConcorde

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:31 am

Quoting na (Reply 73):
Wouldnt it be great if she would still be sitting on the throne while celebrating her 100th birthday?

I am all for it and I hope it will be so!

Prince Charles can take on some of her duties - He can do the long haul travel and relieve her of some of the important tasks and meetings by representing her by common agreement.

Long Live HM Queen Elizabeth II

also HM the King of Thailand

MD11Engineer

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:41 am

In 1888 Germany had the "Dreikaiserjahr" (year of the three emperors). Wilhelm I died and was succeeded by his son Friedrich III. Friedrich III, who was married to British princess, was a liberal reformer and the hope for democratic reforms in Prussia and the rest of Germany. Unfortunately he was already suffering from throat cancer at the time of his coronation and died after only 99 days in office. He was then succeeded by Wilhelm II, who was instrumental in starting WW1.

Jan

[Edited 2012-06-06 03:41:56]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Quokkas

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 am

I think we would have heard about that by now if it were true. The only obstacle to his becoming King is if he chooses to become a Catholic as by law the monarch is head of the Church of England and may not be in communion with the Catholic Church.

There have been attempts to change the law in this area but so far they have failed on the grounds that accepting the over-lordship of the Pope would amount to a surrender of sovereignty. Charles himself has argued in favour of disestablishing the Church and asked "Why can't a catholic become King?"
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

MadameConcorde

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:00 am

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 76):
Charles himself has argued in favour of disestablishing the Church and asked "Why can't a catholic become King?"

He will be Number One of the Church of England when he he gets crowned as King. He can't possibly un-do that can he?

I don't see how he can approve of any possibility of a Catholic King - not in his line of succession at least. I doubt he is seeking to convert to the "other side" and make allegiance to the Pope.

Wow!

mariner

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:07 am

Sorry, no. Prince Charles did not give up his right to the throne. He is the Prince of Wales, the heir apparent.

And now that the over-reaction to the death of the first Princess of Wales has calmed down, Prince Charles is getting a very much fairer assessment:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...e-with-himself-and-the-nation.html

"The Diamond Jubilee celebrations have revealed a new and more loveable Prince of Wales who caught the public mood brilliantly.

So often criticised for being out of touch, thin-skinned, overly dedicated to the antiquarian and a meddler, he has demonstrated a talent for reading the public mood and mucking in"

The centre holds. I think he'll be a good king.

mariner

[Edited 2012-06-06 04:12:45]
aeternum nauta

Quokkas

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:15 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 77):
He can't possibly un-do that can he?

It would require an Act of Parliament to change his position as head of the Church. He could certainly ask his Prime Minister to consider the position and raise it in Parliament. Should he be adamant and Parliament refuse to countenance it, it could produce a Constitutional crisis. Who would back down: King or Parliament? The King may rule by consent of Parliament but would the Parliament continue to have the support of the population if push came to shove?

I don't think that he wishes to convert - he is more into talking to trees. If he believes in a God it is possibly more along the lines of deism than Catholicism.

na

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:16 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 77):
He will be Number One of the Church of England when he he gets crowned as King. He can't possibly un-do that can he?

He said that he will not choose to become the "Defender of the Anglican Faith" but rather of "Faith". I think Charles is reluctant as to his role as the religious head of a state religion.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 72):
I am no Monarchist

I am no monarchist in the traditional sense either. But having said that I think that for instance France or the US with an all-powerful president are less of a true democracy than the UK is with a purely symbolic monarch. To say abolishing monarchism for the sake of it doesnt make a better system at all. The problem is more the power in one hand, and there the potential for danger is much higher in France than it is in Britain. Like the vast majority of the British I am sure the monarchism as it is now is very good for the country. The UK would be very much mistaken to change that. If there is a social problem in the UK, and there is one, a change in the democratic party system or politics in general would be far more efficient than just abolishing the crown and put a more or less talented "suit" in its place.

Quokkas

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:42 am

Quoting na (Reply 80):
"Defender of the Anglican Faith"

The official wording is "Defender of the Faith". Ironically that title was originally bestowed upon Henry VIII by Pope Leo X. It is ironical in the sense that the title was given following the presentation of Henry's book "Assertio Septem Sacramentorum", which defended the sacramental nature of marriage and the supremacy of the Pope. Of course neither Henry VIII nor the present Prince of Wales, by their actions, believed in either.

na

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:47 am

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 81):
The official wording is "Defender of the Faith".

I know, I just wanted to make it clearer that Charles does see this title in a broader way. He doesnt limit himself to a state church as all monarchs before. That was said during the celebrations.

CXB77L

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 79):
I don't think that he wishes to convert

No, I don't think he wants to convert. I heard that he wants to change his official title from 'Defender of the Faith' to 'Defender of the Faiths', because the Britain that he'll be King of is a multicultural and a multi-faith one. However, due to his constitutional role as the leader of the Church of England, I believe it is highly inappropriate that he is also the defender of other faiths.
Boeing 777 fanboy

MadameConcorde

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:12 pm

There was another Royal rendez-vous for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

I am surprised that no one has talked about it. You will find the program of the celebrations on the link. Friends are still there. They had a really great time.

Cunard Three Queens Diamond Jubilee

In what is expected to be the biggest celebration outside London over the extended bank holiday weekend, all three ships of the Cunard fleet will sail up the Solent in formation for the first time on the morning of 5 June, in preparation for a day of special tributes, celebrations and displays for the enjoyment of the ships’ passengers and residents of the city of Southampton and beyond. This will be the first time the aerial display team will have performed over Southampton and the Solent, with the action being focused above the Marchwood area of the docks.

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/news-e...d-three-queens-diamond-jubilee.asp

The Red Arrows flying display was cancelled due to bad weather.

Maybe her next Jubilee can see 4 Cunard Queens Royal rendez-vous in Southampton with the QE2 back in the UK to stay.

Long Live HM Queen Elizabeth II

bjcc

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:46 pm

I live in Southampton, and I did pop down to see the 3 ships arrive. But the weather was dire yesterday, which is why there wasn't so much of a big issue paid to it. besides, mostly the celebrations were centered around where the Queen was, in her capitol London.

OA260

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:20 am

Really enjoyed the events I was in London for them and where my Mum lives there was a really nice community coming together feeling. Lots of events and good spirits. Certainly did no harm to the brand UK image .

na

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:40 am

Some pictures here, especially the QM2 arriving at sunrise is awesome:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1646703

When we disembarked QM2 in April, there was also the QE in Southampton. And the weather was similar than of the 5th of June.

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:52 am

Quoting na (Reply 87):
Some pictures here, especially the QM2 arriving at sunrise is awesome:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...46703

Queen Mary 2 is always impressive. A French Star born from Chantiers de l'Atlantique in Saint Nazaire.
QV and QE were built by Fincantieri naval shipyards near Trieste.

The only missing element to this Southampton event was the 4th Queen, the truest British Queen and most beautiful of all, Queen Elizabeth 2 aka QE2. I wish Dubai would let her back to the UK to stay. They are doing nothing with her anyway. She is still a "wait and see" situation after all that time she's been sitting idle at Port Rashid.

mariner

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:42 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 67):
I very much hope he doesn't make that decision. It isn't a popularity contest.

And so the world turns - as do popularity polls:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-generation.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

"Charles SHOULD be king say Brits who no longer want the crown to skip a generation

44 per cent of people polled want Prince Charles to be king compared to 38 per cent for Prince William"

This doesn't mean Prince William is any less popular with the public - he's still up there with an approval rating similar to the Queen. It means that a sense of balance about the succession has been restored.

mariner
aeternum nauta