Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fxramper
Topic Author

What Happened To Circuit City?

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Welcome to Circuit City, where service is state of the art!

What happened to this company? It wasn't Best Buy that put them out of the business. I bought my first CD ever at a Circuit City. Please share any memories good or bad you experienced with this company. I know they were famous for the 'bait and switch' but if you whined enough they'd sell the upgraded model for the same as the other one since they worked on commission.

Aeroflot777

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:39 pm

While Wikipedia isn't great for reasearch papers, it's great for questions like this:

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
What happened to this company?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_City_Stores

Learned a few new things about Circuit City myself today!

Type-Rated

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:44 pm

When CC first opened here I thought it was kind of cute the way they gave you your product receipt in a airline like ticket folder and the customer service desk looked like an airport ticket counter.

While I never bought anything at Circuit City I did go in a number of times. I found that pricing was not as good as other places and while they did carry a number of brand names they didn't have a large selection from those names to choose from.

After observing and listening to some of the salesmen, you'd think that if you didn't buy the extended warranty they wouldn't let you out of the store.

And then they had CarMax....

[Edited 2012-06-03 13:51:16]
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

rfields5421

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Circuit City had a lot of problems.

Much of the company seemed to be built on an expansion model. When they could not expand, they stopped being 'profitable'.

They owned a lot of their own real estate/ buildings which limited their flexibility.

They lost several lawsuits related to their warranty agreements and labor agreements.

The profit margin on electronics and appliances has steadily decreased over the years. When Circuit City was big, it was almost impossible to find a quality TV in a Walmart or Sams store. Now they are among the biggest sellers of those items.
Not all who wander are lost.

D L X

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Never survived the internet, and Best Buy killed off the rest.

Unfortunate, Circuit City was a really great Virginia company. One of the best non-tobacco Virginia companies.

Jetsgo

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Great commercials from yesteryear...

http://youtu.be/k-IFsCf0b_8
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

LOWS

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:55 pm

This American Life had an interesting piece on them shortly after they closed.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...pisode/377/scenes-from-a-recession

fxramper
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 2):
While I never bought anything at Circuit City I did go in a number of times. I found that pricing was not as good as other places and while they did carry a number of brand names they didn't have a large selection from those names to choose from.

They priced matched and their employees had a vested interest in customers albeit from a commission but it was a lot nicer than fighting a Best Buy employee on their pda checking their facebook. Just sayin'...

Type-Rated

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:28 pm

I think in Houston anyway Frye's has replaced Circuit City as a computer retailer of choice. Best buy is still there, but if you have to ask a question the employees act as if you are disturbing them for reasons as stated above.

Frye's is a strange bird though. When they first opened here some years ago they told you up front that their employees don't know anything. You have to know what you are buying. In fact when they first ran newspaper ads looking for employees they stated that they preferred those with no experience. But they have been very successful here. Their stores(3) are always crowded and their pricing sometimes approaches wholesaler pricing on computer parts.

We also have a Micro Center here too. They have a great library section of computer books/manuals for sale. But their pricing otherwise is middle of the road.

srbmod

RE: What Happened To Circuit City?

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 8):

I think in Houston anyway Frye's has replaced Circuit City as a computer retailer of choice. Best buy is still there, but if you have to ask a question the employees act as if you are disturbing them for reasons as stated above.

Frye's is a strange bird though. When they first opened here some years ago they told you up front that their employees don't know anything. You have to know what you are buying. In fact when they first ran newspaper ads looking for employees they stated that they preferred those with no experience. But they have been very successful here. Their stores(3) are always crowded and their pricing sometimes approaches wholesaler pricing on computer parts.

We also have a Micro Center here too. They have a great library section of computer books/manuals for sale. But their pricing otherwise is middle of the road.

We've got two Fry's here in the Atlanta area and I've never bought anything the few times I been in them. I will give them credit though, they seem to be the only electronics retailer with a large selection of PC games.

We've got two Micro Center locations here as well and I've gone in there a few times and ended up buying my first LCDD monitor a number of years ago and recently was in there looking at potentially upgrading my current LCD monitor but decided instead to upgrade to a better WiFi router.

We've got a chain here called Brandsmart USA which is based out of Florida that is in some ways similar to Circuit City as well as Fry's. There's several locations and they all seem to do fairly decently.

HHGregg is another similar chain that started expanding into Atlanta right around the time Circuit City was in their final years.

I was never a big fan of Circuit City, but did end up buying a computer there several years back as I needed a computer because my old one had died on me and they had a better computer within my budget than Best Buy did. What was really crazy is that where I live, Circuit City was in the same shopping center as Best Buy (Best Buy moved into the former Media Play space in that shopping center.) and the HHGregg (and before it closed, CompUSA) is located across the street.

Jetsgo

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:25 pm

Circuit City simply expanded too fast. In the Sacramento area alone, I remember there being close to 12-13 towards the end. Granted Best Buy was just getting settled in at the time, but even today they have maybe half that. I remember when I got my first car I bought a Sony deck from them and had it installed for free. I did it on a Tuesday morning and was in and out in about an hour. The last thing I ever bought from them was some version of Rockband - and in a way I wish I hadn't. The store was in total disarray and a complete shell of what it was "supposed" to be.

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
Never survived the internet

Which is ironic considering their website lives on.
Quoting type-rated (Reply 8):
Frye's is a strange bird though.

Pretty much sums up my feelings, however I can spend hours in there.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 9):
CompUSA

There's another one I miss along with The Good Guys.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Molykote

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:00 am

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
Please share any memories good or bad you experienced with this company.

As brick and mortar electronics retailers went, I preferred Circuit City to any of the other options. I thought CC sold better products than other retailers. I can't speak much about the end of their existence (because most of my shopping was online at that time), but they always seemed to carry things like XBR Sony televisions and higher end brands (or higher models within a brand) of audio equipment. Going back to the late 1990's, they always had a great CD selection that consisted of Imports, singles, and EPs that many stores (including specialty record shops) didn't stock. Toward the end, I seem to remember them having better cameras than the competition (mainly BB). CC had the $600 Lumix series with the long f/2.8 zoom lens and had the xxD Canon DSLRs available in store to play with. To my memory, most competitors would relegate those products to internet order only status (at least in the suburban stores that I was familiar with).

Things like "service" and "staff knowledge" mean nothing to me given that I'm going to know more than the sales person for 95% of the things I buy (and when I see them spinning BS on topics of which I am knowledgeable, I am sure as hell not going to take them at their word on a product I know nothing about).
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

Ken777

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:55 am

I used to enjoy the Sunday papers when BB & CC would compete on cheap DVDs. Lots of people would shop the movies and then head home.

When you look at the Wiki article one indicator of failure stands out for me - they cut wages and got rid of their best people - the ones on the floor earning the most money. That is a major problem of penny wise & pound foolish.

Quoting type-rated (Reply 2):
After observing and listening to some of the salesmen, you'd think that if you didn't buy the extended warranty they wouldn't let you out of the store.

I was talking to someone in the 90s who happened to work in Corporate Personnel and the focus on recruiting then was for people who would sell the extended warranties. The reason? 25% of company profit came from those warranties.

The funny part of those warranties hit me last week when I went into a Radio Shack to buy a magnifier with a light. Cost was about $11 and the salesman asked if I wanted an extended warranty with it. I just laughed in his face and asked if he was kidding me.

AzoresLover

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:47 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 12):
When you look at the Wiki article one indicator of failure stands out for me - they cut wages and got rid of their best people - the ones on the floor earning the most money. That is a major problem of penny wise & pound foolish.

I shopped at the CC here in town a few times...until they did this. It was a big news story at the time, how they said it was too expensive to keep their long-term and highly paid service people, and got rid of them to hire in lower paid inexperienced people. I never went back to CC after they did that. I wonder how many other folks also avoided them after that, and what effect it may have had on sales.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

kingairta

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:58 am

The CC website has nothing to do with the original company. A company bought the name and rights along with comp usa and started an online company.

bohica

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:23 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 12):
The funny part of those warranties hit me last week when I went into a Radio Shack to buy a magnifier with a light. Cost was about $11 and the salesman asked if I wanted an extended warranty with it. I just laughed in his face and asked if he was kidding me.

The same thing happened to me one time at Best Buy when I was buying a basic landline telephone for $20. The extended warrenty would have almost doubled the price. I couldn't stop laughing.

Go3Team

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:29 am

CC was based here in Richmond where I live, and my wife worked at one of the stores for awhile and finally ended up at the corporate office. One thing I noticed with them, was that they were constantly remodeling their stores. Their LP when they received deliveries was not all that great. I witnessed a few times when delivering to some of their locations that the person delivering would grab a few items for themselves before backing into dock.

CC was the better place to shop, when compared to Best Buy. I never had a problem if I had bought an extended warranty on something and had to have it replaced - which was either exchanged for the same model - if still available, or issued as store credit for the original purchase amount.

Now that CC is gone, HH Gregg has opened up stores in some of the old CC locations. I've been in there once or twice, but the only thing they have a selection on is TVs. Anything else they have very little selection. I've never wanted to go back and probably never will.
Yay Pudding!

ltbewr

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:42 am

On a Sunday of Thanksgiving week in 2008, I had bought a HDTV from a locally owned store and on 'Black Friday' I was looking for a DVD player for it. I looked in a Circuit City store and knew the end was near from the disorganization of the store, stock on the floor in disarray, a store employee shouting out about different deals they had, it was a sign of desperation of trying to move stuff to get the money flow. I went to a Best Buy store, they had it DVD player (Samsung, the same name as my new HDTV, so it matched well with it) at a good sale price and bought it there. In late 2001, I bought a TV from CC, I was limited due to the space in my cabinet for a TV I had them to certain brands, one other store (no longer in business) didn't have it at near the same price or in stock. 2 weeks later, it was on sale at CC, I went back and the difference in price and 10% of that amount (over $30). Best Buy has similar policies too, last year I bought a Virgin no-contract phone from them and 3 weeks later the price went down and I got the $20 difference credited to my MC account.

CC was done in by a number of forces. 2008 was the when the financial, housing prices and mortgage bubble burst causing a huge cut down of credit, jobs and spendable cash. Consumer products stores are highly sensitive as to such economic changes. They couldn't afford to or get the financing for their consumer credit progams and many were not paying their bill due to the economic crash. Sales volumes cratered on a store by store basis with major drops in revenues CC, like too many other retails had capital solvency issue and couldn't borrow as the credit markets locked up their money lending. By 2008, legal and illegal movie and music downloads were killing off that business on the retail level. Best Buy, Walmart and other big chains as well as Internet sellers had the capital on their own, or could still borrow money as well as a much cheaper operational costs so could offer very competitive pricing to get customers in the door. CC also probably had too many executives getting paid too much for too long.

Geezer

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:04 am

I kinda liked CC for a year or two, but when Best Buy came along, I liked them much better;

Best buy is the "strange bird" to me...............I went in their gigantic "Hyper Store" in Champaign Ill, and bought Miss A a Kindle Fire; that place had EVERYTHING ! The kid that sold me the Fire was going to U. of I. and was smart s hell; I liked the kid so well I slipped him a ten-spot. Best stocked store I ever saw ! So, a couple of months ago, I bought a new iMac, and I needed a fire wire cable to transfer stuff from this old iMac to the new one; we're in Terre Haute half the time, and Best Buy had just started a store there about 6 months before; so I went in the Best Buy to get me a fire wire cable, and they don't even sell them ! I could write a book about what that dump doesn't have and doesn't sell, but won't;

There were like 3 people in the whole store, (and none of them had anything to do) ! I NEVER see anyone going in or out of the place, and it's no mystery why; the only mystery is, how is the place staying open ? Worst store in Terre Haute, by far.

There's a gigantic big Fry's store up in Naperville (or there abouts) that I LOVE ! Great prices, busy as hell; the mystery about that place is the building; that building had to have cost a billion dollars to build; It has a row of 3 ft dia stone columns all across the front, and down one side; looks like something you'd expect to see in D.C., (and paid for by the taxpayers)

It's a tough, tough business, and getting tougher by the day;

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Type-Rated

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:14 am

Frye's is known for giving each store a theme.

In Houston the one on the north side of town has an oil company theme. Maniquins working on oil pipes on the ceiling, etc.
The one near NASA on the south side has a NASA space theme with satellites hanging about.
I haven't been to the one in Sugarland but somebody told me it's designed after Houston history.

D L X

Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 10):
Circuit City simply expanded too fast.

Oh, I don't know about that. The company had been around for 60 years. That's a pretty long run. Clearly, something changed, and that change was the internet.

Circuit City (in many ways like Sears) was built on providing excellent customer service, not the cheapest price. You go to CC to educate yourself about the products, and eventually buy one. If it broke, you called Circuit City, and they'd fix it. If it broke again, they'd give you A NEW ONE.

But what do people do today? They go to the brick and mortar stores to get educated, and then they go online to actually buy it. Our spending habits are going to kill off our brick and mortar stores.

Revelation

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Was never that big a fan of CC.

It, and CompUSA, got taken down by the GFC here in my very retail oriented town.

BestBuy is the last man standing, and it isn't all that pleasant a shopping experience. For some reason they have dozens of various devices turned on full volume making for a huge headache, in my experience.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

casinterest

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:37 pm

I think amongst other things posted above, three big contributors to their failure were the following.

1. DIVX
2. The discontinued selling of household appliances ( Fridges, Washer Dryer.....)
3. Itunes

1. DIVX upset a lot of the steady DVD buying crowd, which was still strong in 2000-2003. These folks were traffic generating, and the loss of these customers and their loyalty hurt Circuit City badly.

2. The loss of household appliances made them less competative with Best Buy, and made them more generically an oversized DVD and TV Outlet. When Wal-Mart and Target starting going full on wiht TV's and DVD's this just spelled the end of traffic.

3. Itunes took away another source of revenue, CD buyers. The devestation wrought by itunes on the physical CD market can not be understated, and it tools away massive foot traffic.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

desertjets

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:47 pm

I bought a grand total of two things from CC in my life for about $300. My TV, a 20" Panasonic and a VHS/DVD combo player. Both in 2003 and both bought online because at the time CC offered free shipping. As I had no car there was no way I was lugging a TV home on the bus.

Quoting D L X (Reply 20):
Our spending habits are going to kill off our brick and mortar stores.

Some will survive, I hope. And hopefully more than Walmart and your local grocery store. Retail is a horribly cyclical business. Who is on top today may not be on top 20 years from now. I can't help to think that Sears should be a cautionary tale, a company that was once big and powerful enough to build the then tallest building in the world, would ultimately end up in a bizarro merger with a company that was in part responsible for its downfall.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

bohica

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Quoting go3team (Reply 16):
Now that CC is gone, HH Gregg has opened up stores in some of the old CC locations. I've been in there once or twice, but the only thing they have a selection on is TVs. Anything else they have very little selection. I've never wanted to go back and probably never will.

I went to the grand opening of an HH Gregg store in Virginia Beach a couple years ago. The store was only 25% stocked. I turned around and walked out of there with several salesmen chasing me. I have never gone back there.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 22):
The discontinued selling of household appliances
Quoting DesertJets (Reply 23):
I bought a grand total of two things from CC in my life

I bought one item. A Panasonic microwave oven. CC had a good selection of appliances at one time. However, when I was looking for a new coffee maker, I walked into a CC store only to find out that they quit selling appliances. That really turned me off because instead of selling a bunch of different items, they were only selling computers, TV's and DVD's like another poster said. CC was only selling the same items I could find at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. It made no sense for me to go back to a CC store again.

BTW I bought the microwave in 1993. It still works.  

RedTailDTW

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:04 pm

I bought a TV from Circuit City once. Nothing too special but the sales people were pretty friendly.

In Phoenix we had 4 big electronics retailers: Best Buy, Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics and Fry's Electronics

Now we just have Best Buy and Fry's Electronics

Honestly I prefer to go to Best Buy, etc. to buy TV's and other high dollar electronics because the big box stores usually don't sell as good of brands or they don't have a great selection...

- Mason
Airlines Flown: 9E, AA, AS, B6, CO, DL, G7, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, CRJ-200/900, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170/175, MD80/83/90

srbmod

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting KingairTA (Reply 14):
The CC website has nothing to do with the original company. A company bought the name and rights along with comp usa and started an online company.

The company is called Systemax, who also owns TigerDirect.com and the Circuit City website is essentially an extension of that site. At least with CompUSA they still have some brick and mortar locations (We have one here in Georgia that is also the location of a TigerDirect.com distribution center.) in addition to the website.

Revelation

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Quoting RedTailDTW (Reply 25):
Now we just have Best Buy and Fry's Electronics

I haven't seen Fry's in the Northeast USA.

Quoting RedTailDTW (Reply 25):
Honestly I prefer to go to Best Buy, etc. to buy TV's and other high dollar electronics because the big box stores usually don't sell as good of brands or they don't have a great selection...

BestBuy is a "big box" store...

Typical architectural characteristics include the following:

Large, free-standing, rectangular, generally single-floor structure built on a concrete slab. The flat roof and ceiling trusses are generally made of steel, the walls are concrete block clad in metal or masonry siding.
Floor space several times greater than traditional retailers in the sector, providing for a large amount of merchandise; in North America, generally more than 50,000 square feet (4650 m²), sometimes approaching 200,000 square feet (18,600 m²), though varying by sector and market. In countries where space is at a premium, such as the United Kingdom, the relevant numbers are smaller and stores are more likely to have two or more floors.

Commercially, big-box stores can be broken down into two categories: general merchandise (examples include Walmart and Target), and specialty stores (such as Menards, Barnes and Noble, or Best Buy) which specialize in goods within a specific range, such as hardware, books, or electronics. In recent years, many traditional retailers—such as Tesco and Praktiker—have opened stores in the big-box-store format in an effort to compete with big-box chains, which are expanding internationally as their home markets reach maturity.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_box_store

Moose135

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 11):
As brick and mortar electronics retailers went, I preferred Circuit City to any of the other options.

Same here - I would always goto CC rather than BB. Staff seemed to know what they were doing, good products and reasonable prices. Bought my first DSLR, a Canon 300D from CC. We don't have Frye or HH Gregg on Long Island, so I can't comment on them. I had a horrible experience with Microcenter on a warrantee repair for a laptop a couple of years back, and I avoid them when I can.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 21):
BestBuy is the last man standing, and it isn't all that pleasant a shopping experience. For some reason they have dozens of various devices turned on full volume making for a huge headache, in my experience.

You and me both. The noise is usually the first thing that hits me when I walk into a BB, and makes for a quick stop. And I remember some years ago, when I was looking for a laptop and I hit CC, BB, and Microcenter (all within a mile of each other) and I asked the BB sales clerk about different units, he pointed me to a computer where I could look up the information...if I wanted to do that, I would have stayed home and searched the internet, I went into the store to actually talk to someone about the products. Novel concept, I understand.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Type-Rated

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:32 am

I think Best Buy has become the showroom for internet purchases. When people want something they go to Best Buy to look at the item and then go online and purchase the item from another retailer.
In this day and age with a collapsing stockmarket and high unemployment people feel the need to pay the least they can for an item. Heck, I even know people who buy the razors for their shavers online because it's so much cheaper than the local stores.
One guy says why should he pay Walmart $27.00 for a Mach III 10 blade cartridge when he can get the same thing online for only $10.00 with free shipping?

par13del

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:11 pm

I started visiting BB when CC selection of CD's started going down.
I agree with other that initially, CC did have knowledgeable staff in comparison to BB, today I think most of BB staff are there to ensure the kids do not walk out with products.
In Florida by the Sawgrass Mills Mall I always started with BB, CompUSA the CC as they were all in close proximity, I guess to some degree that worked against some of the vendors, as folks did more price checking before purchase, the distance posed no discentive.
Be interesting to note whether after consolidation in the industry if Wal-Mart and BB try to stay far away from each other physically, a 15 minute drive with high gas prices to say $5.00 should now be factored into the business plan.

Revelation

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 30):
today I think most of BB staff are there to ensure the kids do not walk out with products.

I don't know, the last two times I went to BB it was in FL, and both times the staff had a decent amount of knowledge.

The camera guy pointed out a model that had similar features but was $100 less.

The cell phone guy noticed my mom kept her nails long and so steered her to a fold out keyboard instead of a touch screen.

But yeah, personally, I rarely go to the store, so maybe that was just luck of the draw.

a huge part of my purchases are done online.

In 1996 I bought a brand new car online at wholesale prices and saved hundreds of dollars. The car companies were pretty quick to close that down.

par13del

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 31):

In 1996 I bought a brand new car online at wholesale prices and saved hundreds of dollars. The car companies were pretty quick to close that down.

Now in Japan they actually use the internet to sell vehicles that they take out of service to third countries, reselling of used Japanese cars in the Caribbean is huge business and it is all done via the internet, some sites are dealer only, others cater to individual buyers. Biggest problem is shipping, one has to wait until they have a full vessel heading this way, so there is no weekly delivery, more like a couple months.

RedTailDTW

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 27):
BestBuy is a "big box" store...

You are correct. I probably should have worded that differently.I meant stores like Walmart and Target have not so great selections, mainly because that's not something they specialize in like Best Buy does or Circuit City did.

It is a big box store but isn't a very large company. Mostly concentrated around the Phoenix area.

- Mason
Airlines Flown: 9E, AA, AS, B6, CO, DL, G7, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, CRJ-200/900, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170/175, MD80/83/90

Type-Rated

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Actually, Fry's stores are concentrated in California and Texas with only two in Arizona.
While they may not have more than 34 stores, each of them are huge full line stores.

One problem I do have with Fry's is with their rebates. Unless it's an instant rebate you have forms to fill out, UPC symbols to cut out, etc. I have done this multiple times and only one time did I ever received the rebate. The other times (3) I received a letter stating that I didn't properly submit the rebate so therefore I'm not eligible.
I was told by a cashier that if this happens I could come down with copies of my proof of purchase and the store manager will take care of it. All I imagine that would be is a waste of my time.

zippyjet

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Is HH or is it HR Gregg really Circuit City recycled?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

Moose135

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 34):
The other times (3) I received a letter stating that I didn't properly submit the rebate so therefore I'm not eligible.

They (generic "they", not Frye in particular) purposely make it difficult, so people either don't submit the materials in the specified manner and don't qualify, don't want to deal with the paperwork, or simply forget. That way, the store gets your business, since you think you are getting a bargain, and it doesn't cost them as much as if they simply put the item on sale at the lower price.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

boeingfever777

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:27 am

Um lets see... First off sry for getting to the party late brother, chemo had me down.

As you know I was a Domestic and International Corp trainer, I was a head hunted, secret shopped, was a DM, Installer Supervisor, and Manager for the company over my 9yrs there.

Circuit had a good thing but couldn't make it all work at once at the same time or quarter for the investor. Also couldn't find a buyer when it counted so save the sinking ship.

Commission Sales lead to lieing to the customer and losing consumer confidence.

Slow to the web as introducing their online sales.

Poor mangement.
Quoting D L X (Reply 20):
Oh, I don't know about that. The company had been around for 60 years. That's a pretty long run. Clearly, something changed, and that change was the internet.

Yes, he is right. They built to many new/remodeled to many old stores all at once when the company was not turning profit and when the economy was recovering from 9/11 and they were looking to buyout BBY.

They are not there that's why.

Quoting moose135 (Reply 28):
reasonable prices

Why they lost so much and couldn't turn a profit? Pricing was a big Achilles heel. To HIGH!

Quoting moose135 (Reply 28):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 21):
You and me both.

It's called vendors and them paying BBY for advertising and marketing their product. Employees and management hate it just as much as the shopper.

Quoting type-rated (Reply 29):
I think Best Buy has become the showroom for internet purchases.

Most retailers do as they internet has better pricing as they wholesale and do not charge tax.

Quoting RedTailDTW (Reply 33):
Mostly concentrated around the Phoenix area.

Phoenix has (1) store guy... Fry's market:

Arizona (2)
California (17)
Georgia (2)
Illinois (1)
Indiana (1)
Nevada (1)
Oregon (1)
Texas (8)
Washington (1)

They have (34) stores, not over (1,100) like Best Buy.

RIP Circuit.  

[Edited 2012-06-05 22:40:28]
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

srbmod

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:49 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 35):
Is HH or is it HR Gregg really Circuit City recycled?

HHGregg did move into some former Circuit City locations in a number of markets, but they were already established in other markets prior to Circuit City closing. The only aspect of Circuit City that has been recycled is their web presence, as Systemax (Parent company of TigerDirect.com) bought the rights to the circuitcity.com web address as well as other associated trademarks.

falstaff

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:59 pm

I bought a lot of stuff at Circuit City over the years staring in 1990, with a dandy Onkyo single disc CD player that was $300, I can't imagine spending that kind of money on something like that now. I still have it and it still works. I still have nearly everything I bought there in the 1990s, except for the computers and a TV. The VCR is rarey used these days, but I'll hold on to it.

Quoting fxramper (Reply 7):
They priced matched and their employees had a vested interest in customers albeit from a commission

I liked the fact the employees worked on commision, they actually knew about the products they were selling.

Quoting Molykote (Reply 11):
I thought CC sold better products than other retailers.

I thought they did too.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 22):
1. DIVX

In 1999 I bought an RCA DVD player with DIVX and never once used that feature. I bought it for the novelty of the stupid idea that people would actually pay to watch DVDs they own. I still have it but it sits in the closet and work and the students occasionally look at it and marvel at it uselessness. They can't believe that it cost $400 and I can't believe I spent that much.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

MD11junkie

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:25 pm

I bought a really good laptop for only u$s 399.- Loved Circuit City and the friendliness and honesty of most of their Orlando employees.

Great store!
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

boeingfever777

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:03 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 39):
I liked the fact the employees worked on commision, they actually knew about the products they were selling.

Yes & No... However encouraging employees to learn the product, tech specs, and pricing, their were employees over stating, lieing, and cheating customers to sell and gain commission. Any business where 90% of your pay is based on this there is going to be bad apples and Circuit City had their share of them. Best Buy did before cancelling commission sales in 2000. Sears, Aarons, Federated, Frys all have or had this issue.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

zippyjet

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 38):
The only aspect of Circuit City that has been recycled is their web presence, as Systemax (Parent company of TigerDirect.com) bought the rights to the circuitcity.com web address as well as other associated trademarks.

Eventually we will see threads "Circuit City 2, 3 and 4."
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

srbmod

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:57 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 30):
I agree with other that initially, CC did have knowledgeable staff in comparison to BB, today I think most of BB staff are there to ensure the kids do not walk out with products.

Consider yourself lucky, as most of my experiences with Best Buy employees put them at slightly above those that work at Radio Shack. My experience has oftentimes been along the lines of when I'm browsing, I'm getting asked if I need any assistance by an employee ever 5 minutes. When I actually do need assistance, the sales floor looks like a ghost town.

There have been articles in recent months (there was also a thread here) about Best Buy having the potential to fail like Circuit City and the recent slate of store closures have done little to quell those thoughts.

falstaff

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 29):
I think Best Buy has become the showroom for internet purchases

Big issue these days. I know I do that and my dad did that yesterday.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Revelation

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 43):
Consider yourself lucky, as most of my experiences with Best Buy employees put them at slightly above those that work at Radio Shack. My experience has oftentimes been along the lines of when I'm browsing, I'm getting asked if I need any assistance by an employee ever 5 minutes. When I actually do need assistance, the sales floor looks like a ghost town.

I had an experience at BB this week that was worse than that.

All I needed was to be pointed to where a certain product was being displayed. Two young lady employees walked right past me, engrossed in a chatty conversation, without giving me a chance to ask a quick question. They seemed particularly animated and gleeful, presumably because the store was going to close in 20 minutes or so. When I got to the area where the product should be, there were two employees helping around 6 customers all trying to make purchasing decisions before the store closed, so it was next to impossible to get my simple question answered. Eventually I butted in to ask and found the product was no more than 6 feet away from me, but I couldn't spot it because it had no distinguishing signage. The displays in that entire area were, in a word, sloppy and thus totally unappealing.

casinterest

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 43):
There have been articles in recent months (there was also a thread here) about Best Buy having the potential to fail like Circuit City and the recent slate of store closures have done little to quell those thoughts.

Best Buy is in very deep trouble. The Appliances business may be what saves them. Most of their bread and butter has been taken away by Amazon, Wal-Mart, Targer, and Apple.

HHGregg is a store that is more lined up with what Best Buy should aspire to be. Media Distribution should not be the center left of their store model. They need to get the HW back to the front of distribution.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

srbmod

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 46):
Best Buy is in very deep trouble. The Appliances business may be what saves them. Most of their bread and butter has been taken away by Amazon, Wal-Mart, Targer, and Apple.

The white goods is part of the problem, as that's where Circuit City slipped up a bit with as well. Best Buy has to compete with Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears, Sam's Club, and Costco just to name a few. Some of these places include free delivery, installation and removal of your old appliances which Best Buy charges to do.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 45):
I had an experience at BB this week that was worse than that.

All I needed was to be pointed to where a certain product was being displayed. Two young lady employees walked right past me, engrossed in a chatty conversation, without giving me a chance to ask a quick question. They seemed particularly animated and gleeful, presumably because the store was going to close in 20 minutes or so. When I got to the area where the product should be, there were two employees helping around 6 customers all trying to make purchasing decisions before the store closed, so it was next to impossible to get my simple question answered. Eventually I butted in to ask and found the product was no more than 6 feet away from me, but I couldn't spot it because it had no distinguishing signage. The displays in that entire area were, in a word, sloppy and thus totally unappealing.

That's up there with the experience I had with their so-called "Geek Squad" last June. I had just bought my BlackBerry PlayBook and bought a screen protector and paid for them to install it. I go to their booth and neither "Geek" on duty was able to install it (They both said they weren't any good at it.) so I ended up getting that refunded and tried to put the screen protector on myself and it was a complete disaster. I've heard stories on Crackberry.com of folks that had gone into a Best Buy to buy a tablet that isn't an iPad (The PlayBook as well as some of the Android-powered tablets.) and the clerks try to sway them away from the device they want and in some cases, tell customers completely false information about a product (Comments like "You don't want to buy that as it's being discontinued." even though the customer knew that was a lie.). When I bought my PlayBook, I didn't have that happen to me, I actually got one of the few knowledgeable clerks in that department and he didn't try to sway me one way or the other and was actually helpful.

I pretty much go to Best Buy only if it's absolutely necessary, and the last time I did was because I needed to buy a new computer about 6 months ago and they were the only place that had what I wanted. If I need a cable for my computer or some ink for my printer, I've got an Office Depot right by the house. Best Buy could likely suffer the same fate as Circuit City or it may end up like Blockbuster Video, primarily a kiosk-based company with a small number of brick and mortar outlets.