Avianca
Topic Author

Tokio Or Singapore For Vacation?

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:04 am

Hi gents,

I am currently checking fares out of CCS for an Asia Vacation in October (in fact only 1 week).

Last year I was in Hong Kong and Macau so for this year I am looking forward for following 3 options.

1. Tokio (6 days)
2. 1,5 days TPE and Tokio (4,5 days)
3. Sinapore. (6 days)

for all 3 options the prices for the tickets are quite cheap in Eco, all with UA.

So my question what are you recomending to me? for which should I opt? The idea would to travel starting October.

thanks and cheers
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

jcs17

RE: Tokio Or Singapore For Vacation?

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:50 am

I'd take Tokyo over Singapore, but if you are uncomfortable being in a city where English is less known, Singapore is the best option. Both are really cool cities, but the fact that you can travel to other interesting places like Kyoto or Fuji in a single day puts Tokyo over the top. Singapore is really just a "new" city-state with few historical artifacts of note. You could spend a week in Tokyo and miss a lot. Besides that, Tokyo is a lot more "raw," not that it isn't safe or clean (obviously, it's both), but Singapore is sort of like the Asian version of Dubai. Singapore is a lot more of a cultural mixing-pot with lots of Western influence, whereas in Tokyo you're soaked in Japanese culture with a bit of Western culture.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

DeltaMD90

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:12 am

Can't comment on Singapore but I know you can't go wrong with Tokyo! Very nice and very clean. Lots of history and culture, great place.

bookishaviator

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:37 am

For the pure sensory overload: Tokyo. Glorious city.
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

PHX787

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 am

TOKYO!
I went there last year for 6 weeks and I'll tell you, every day, I went somewhere new to go on an adventure, and man, I still only covered about 20% of the town. I'm gonna try to go there again this year but money constraints may knock me off my horse.   

IF you go to Tokyo, make sure you bring plenty of clothes and lotttttsssss of cash. That country will suck you dry. (no pun intended    )

If you can handle gangs, then Kabukicho is one entertaining place at night. Just ignore the yakuza and you'll go home with a woman. WITH NO STDs.

If you'd rather meet Japanese who are actually sincerely interested in meaningful relationships with Foreigners, (like me, surprisingly) my buddy Yuta owns an English cafe called 'English Cafe Mickey House" which also has "spanish nights, german nights, etc." Takadanobaba station, take the waseda exit and turn right past the big movie theater and the Softbank store, past the 7/11, and there should be a sign on the street. 4th floor in that building; take the elevator.

if you're there in late july/ early august, I may see you  

よろしく、 
Zach
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

MIAspotter

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:09 am

Both are nice destinations in their own right.

I cannot comment on Tokyo since I have yet to visit, but I can on Singapore.

As other have mentioned, Singapore is a very sanitized asian city and lacks a bit on historical sites but for me, the mix of cultures is pretty interesting, you can start the day observing the rituals in a Chinese temple, and finish the day with a nice spicy Indian curry in Little India.

But Singapore can be done in 3/4 days, and from there you can move up to Kuala Lumpur via a cheap flight, or the hundreds of (really modern) buses plying the SG-KL route.

Singapore is a bit pricey (but not prohibitive) and KL is really really cheap. PM me if you need more info on SG  

Whichever city you pick, I am pretty sure you will have a fantastic time  

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

L410Turbolet

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:10 am

Definitely Tokio. Amazing place with lots of character although you might end up surprised how certain parts of the city have almost a small-town feel.
If you plan to travel in fall you might want to check the exact time period when the leaves start to change colors, which is supposed to be a wonderful sight.

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 1):
Singapore is sort of like the Asian version of Dubai.

Unlike Dubai, Singapore seems to have its own identity and there are things to do other than shopping. That being said, I would still pick Tokio over Singapore.

RayChuang

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Tokyo, no contest. Besides the many sights of that city, you can hop on the Tokaido Shinkansen and within 2.5 hours riding the Hikar train arrive in Kyoto, easily the most historic city in that country with its numerous temples thanks to the very fact Kyoto was perhaps the largest city in Japan that did not suffer significant damage from USAAF bombing raids of World War II. As such, not only can you experience the temples, but also see many fine examples of pre-World War II buildings in that city, too.

MadameConcorde

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:10 pm

I would not spend more than 3 days in Tokyo or anywhere nearby - Chiba prefecture, Narita town, ec. Of course the media don't want to scare people, just thinking of the true level of radiation. Not that I want to scare anyone this is just out of precaution. I was there two times already in 2012 but for a short time only.

http://enenews.com/radiation-level-t...ch-higher-publicly-announced-video

Singapore is great, fantastic, safe, fun, good shopping and food, also there are plenty of places to visit in nearby Malaysia and beautiful outer islands with wonderful resorts which are within easy reach by ferry (or by plane of course).

Coming from so far away why don't you try to combine Tokyo and Singapore? A 2-3 days stopover in Tokyo and then fly down to Singapore. Japan isn't cheap but Singapore isn't what I would call cheap either. Indonesia would be your "cheap" place, some places in Malaysia are also relatively unexpansive.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

rwsea

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:06 pm

6 days in Singapore would be way too much. You'd be bored out of your mind by day #3. Amazing food, and great shopping, but that's really it. Tokyo is much more exciting and conducive to a longer trip. Tokyo is an easy choice in my opinion.

PHX787

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 8):
I would not spend more than 3 days in Tokyo or anywhere nearby - Chiba prefecture, Narita town, ec. Of course the media don't want to scare people, just thinking of the true level of radiation. Not that I want to scare anyone this is just out of precaution. I was there two times already in 2012 but for a short time only.

The US State department reported that most of the radiation from the nuclear plant was blown out to sea due to prevailing winds. There is just a very small amount of radiation found in Tokyo but that pretty much can happen anywhere. I was there for 6 weeks last year and when I had a blood test and biological test done to me this year because of my stomach virus, I mentioned that I was in Tokyo, and they looked into the amount of Cesium and it's decay products inside of me, and said that there is nothing above normal inside me.

I think both ends of the media have been overblowing or underblowing the situation at Fukushima. I know the Japanese can take care of it, it's just the sheer size and scope of the damage that nobody can be prepared for, no matter how much preparation or training.

gabrielchew

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Definately Tokyo! So much more to do than in Singapore...and the weather is better
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Ken777

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:24 pm

The last time I was in Tokyo was 1976. And "American Breakfast" (bacon & eggs) cost me $13.50. While I remember a lot of neat things (like the Tokyo Tower) the costs of being a tourist there over rides other memories.

Singapore was fine, but, when compared to Hong Kong, seems really spread out to me. I believe you can do a bit more for your money there. Might even get a super cheap flight to Bali or Phuket fro a night or two.

usflyer msp

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:49 am

I just got back from Japan (trip report is forthcoming) and I can definitely recommend it. Be aware that the Yen is incredibly strong right now thanks to various world financial crises so Japan is crazy expensive. The Japanese govt is supposedly working on weakening the Yen because it is really hurting their export sector but I have not seen any results yet. So if you choose Tokyo - bring lots of cash.

Singapore seems pretty boring in comparison unless you combine it with a nearby country like Malaysia or Indonesia.

PHX787

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:52 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 13):
trip report is forthcoming

:D

Be aware that the Yen is incredibly strong right now thanks to various world financial crises so Japan is crazy expensive

I remember last year when I was there the yen was 80 to a dollar, and within 2 weeks it dropped to 71 to a dollar...I say this because I already had all the cash I needed for 6 weeks, and my classmates in my school trip were just arriving when it dropped that low, so I went home with probably 2x as much stuff as they did   

The Japanese govt is supposedly working on weakening the Yen because it is really hurting their export sector but I have not seen any results yet.

It's gonna take a while, given the scope of the cleanup effort and the amount of foreign aide coming in. On top of the staggering economy as well, all of this has an effect on the value of the currency.

bongo

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Never been in Singapore, but let me tell you something: Tokyo is probably the best city I ever been, It is just wonderful.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!