bristolflyer
Topic Author

Nice Vacation, But I Miss Home

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:19 am

So I just got back from England and France for a 10 day vacation/holiday. I really missed being at home (in Colorado, despite what my profile says) though. Creature comforts, things to do (we're fixing up our house), being surrounded by my own stuff, being in a routine. I think I'm beginning to prefer long weekend breaks instead of long periods away.

Does anyone else feel this? Any thoughts on long vacations vs short breaks? I remember in England that it is typical to take 2 weeks off in the summer - that really doesn't appeal to me now. As to the idea of 'traveling' for months at a time - no way. A lot of people did this after university, I wasn't overly interested in it then and I'm now definitely not interested. I could possibly envisage doing extended trips in an RV that I could fill with my own stuff, however my wife and I have built a home where we live and I just want to be here. Maybe this happens to everyone as they get older (I'm upper 30s)?

Would be good to here some other people's views, especially those that are in the same age group.
Fortune favours the brave

Ps76

RE: Nice Vacation, But I Miss Home

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:39 am

Hi!

I'm 35 and live with my parents and love being at home. I don't have many friends or a girlfriend but that doesn't really bother me. Mostly when we go on holiday we go as a family so I never miss home really. When I go on my own I go mostly on day trips though as I really don't like staying in hotels on my own. When I was a teenager I was much more adventurous and independent and would travel all round the World and never miss home. I think most people have parts of their life where they enjoy travelling more and other parts where they like being at home more. These days I do most of my travelling "virtually" through playing flight simulator! One thing I do when I'm away for long and miss home is go to the nearsest airport and walk around. For some reason airports (and to some extent train stations) make me feel better!

Many thanks,

Pierre

Ken777

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:58 am

I can enjoy both short and long trips.

Now that I'm retired I consider a short trip being 3 or 4 days, especially when we take the grandkids to Silver Dollar City.

Long trips are about 2 weeks and (as of last September) includes a cruise.

For me trips are an opportunity to travel with my wife and enjoy things together. There is simply so much to see in this world and with the kids grown we can actually enjoy some of it.

I still have projects to do around the house, but nothing to panic about. (I've been working on a total redo of one bathroom here for around 2 years. Various surgeries & illnesses and trips has stretched that out. One day I might actually do a Self Gloss on that project.   )

My only problem for traveling in summer is the yard & plants. We are taking off for a week in a few days and hopefully can get it watered while we are gone.

jetblueguy22

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:18 am

I only really experience that on beach vacations. I like to relax and enjoy a break but there is only so much sitting on the beach that I can do before I've had enough. I prefer the yearly vacation to my family cottage on the Mississippi River. There is plenty of lounging around but there is nothing better than fishing on the river, golfing, and shooting off some fireworks. I love traveling and seeing the world but going to school far away from home has taught me there is no place like it.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

DocLightning

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:51 am

I live in San Francisco.

Other places sure are nice to visit... but they ain't San Francisco. I could live in some other places if I had to... but they ain't San Francisco.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

mal787

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:22 am

I used to do an annual trip to Europe for 6 weeks at a time. now it is a short break to Asia as I find the distance and the time away from home is just too much. I think this may be due to the fact that I work away from home all the time and I am only there for a week in every 3 .

mal787
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

JJJ

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:44 am

Quoting bristolflyer (Thread starter):
Any thoughts on long vacations vs short breaks?

Why vs? I take both all the time.

Usually a 2-week longer vacation (preferably september) and a few long weekends scattered through the year.

Then 2 more weeks come Christmas, but those are family holidays (visit parents and in-laws, who live quite far away).

mad99

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:50 am

2 weeks off in the summer

Here in Spain its 4 weeks..

Too long in one go! I've done it twice but after 2 weeks i got bored so now we split it up into 2 or 3 smaller trips..

Maybe if we had a house somewhere it would be ok.

B777LRF

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:57 am

Like some above, I do both. 1 week in Jan/Feb to go skiing, couple of long week-ends in the spring taking 2 days off each time, 3 weeks vacation in the summer, another couple of long week-ends in the autumn and finally 1 week for x-mas and new year. 6 weeks of paid vacation in total, and that's just about right for my taste.
Signature. You just read one.

bookishaviator

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:14 am

I too have lately had a preference for short trips away - refreshing little breaks from the daily grind - as opposed to longer, mega holidays.

I love to travel, but I also love coming home to Melbourne - a city I've come to adore more and more in the last few years. I tend to miss the place terribly after more than, say, a week away.

Much of my 20s were spent happily piss-farting about in various parts of the world without much of a care for what was going on back home. Now, in my 30s, my outlook has changed a little. I've come to realise that I don't need to get on a plane to another country in order to be creative / inspired / spontaneous / relaxed / etc. I appreciate what I have right here more than what I used to. I don't know how that happened - it just did.

[Edited 2012-07-09 02:16:42]
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

Braybuddy

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:22 pm

I've only ever been away twice for more than two weeks (a month each time) and it was too long. I get 21 days' holidays each year and keep ten days for a two week long haul trip, usually around November. The rest of the days I'll use for weekends away or maybe make a second long haul trip, using five days to make a nine-day trip.

The annual two weeks is an adventure and we use it for travelling around, so the two weeks go pretty quickly, but I really love the weekend trips: three days is often enough in one place at a time: I don't believe in cramming things in and the nicest part of a holiday is often just strolling round and soaking-up the atmosphere. I love finding a local restaurant for a bite to eat and glass (or two) of wine, a coffee here, a beer there . . . just generally hanging out and getting a feel for the place. We'll usually do some of the touristy things, but it's not necessary. Four of us went to Venice years ago and, apart from strolling around and getting the odd vaporetto, all we saw of the city was the inside of restaurants, cafés, bars and nightclubs. We just weren't interested in queueing up for any of the sights (too long), and there's always another time.

Also, there's much less to organise for a weekend trip -- and it's much easier to stick to your budget.

sw733

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:29 pm

I don't really miss home, I miss people. When I travel far for my job, I miss my fiance; if I travel with my fiance, no matter how long or how far, I don't miss much.

n229nw

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:19 pm

I still love traveling, and I love spending long times in places I go. We spend a lot of time traveling, so that's good. As long as I have personal space (that makes a big difference--sometimes if staying in a place where one doesn't really feel free to relax or plan my time, like with certain elderly relatives, etc.).

The one thing, as I get older is that I hate packing more and more. I really HATE it...not so much putting things in a suitcase, but the whole getting the apartment in order, remembering things I'll want/need, getting the mail forwarded or stopped, getting the suitcase the right weight for regulations, not leaving perishables in the fridge, not leaving anything else in the home in a way that will cause problems, etc. etc. I think that having kids makes this more stressful, as one seldom has time time to pack in piece, and you have to get everything the kids need together too...

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
I live in San Francisco.

Other places sure are nice to visit... but they ain't San Francisco. I could live in some other places if I had to... but they ain't San Francisco.

Meh...San Francisco just doesn't particularly do it for me. It's certainly a nice place with a lot of stuff going for it...but it certainly wouldn't make me want to stop traveling. Even if I lived in London or Paris, which I'd put a mile above S.F., I'd still want to travel...if maybe less.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

smittyone

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:26 pm

So I just got back from England and France for a 10 day vacation/holiday. I really missed being at home (in Colorado, despite what my profile says) though. Creature comforts, things to do (we're fixing up our house), being surrounded by my own stuff, being in a routine. I think I'm beginning to prefer long weekend breaks instead of long periods away.

I used to feel this way too...but it's been so damned long since I've gone anywhere for any length of time I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Ten days anywhere but here is probably just what the doctor ordered (and I live in a 'vacation spot'). Unfortunately I just pissed away $25K fixing a house that I'm not living in and can't sell so no chance of that this summer.

Quoting SW733 (Reply 11):
I don't really miss home, I miss people. When I travel far for my job, I miss my fiance; if I travel with my fiance, no matter how long or how far, I don't miss much.

You need to make sure she 'accidentally' reads this post!

sw733

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:29 pm

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 13):
You need to make sure she 'accidentally' reads this post!

I'll do my best!