RE: London 2012 Olympics Thread

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:13 pm

4x100m gold = France?

Awesome race!

Fred

Rara

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:17 pm

O la la   amazing French relay team faster than Phelps and Lochte... what a race!
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

fruitbat

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 50):
4x100m gold = France?

Awesome race!

Cheered them all the way!

Vive le difference!

Ole, ole ole ole! Europe! Europe! (getting ready for the Ryder Cup!)
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

canoecarrier

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 51):

O la la   amazing French relay team faster than Phelps and Lochte... what a race!

That hadn't even been shown here in the western US yet..   I hate NBC. Even the CBC (who always has better coverage than NBC) and BBC America aren't allowed to show the events live here. The French have been strong in swimming though. Phelps is making a fool out of himself this Olympics, Lochte not so much.

I was looking up Olympic records today out of curiosity. I think records like Phelps' most medals are a little misleading, swimmers can compete in many events and get multiple medals in one Olympic games, however athletes in other sports like volleyball spend many days competing for just one medal.

The woman that won the skeet shooting medal had a good interview today. She became the first American athlete to win five medals in an individual event in five consecutive Olympic Games. She's only 33. They asked her how long she thought she'd continue to compete. She said, "the oldest Olympic medalist was 72 and won his medal in my event, I'll be around for a while."

Quoting fruitbat (Reply 48):
The archery is taking place at Lords - yes, it's a fabulous place and oozes atmosphere.

A beautiful location.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

sbworcs

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Enjoying what I have seen of the games so far as been working for the last 2 days. BBC coverage seems good although some of the commentators are slightly annoying.

On the subject of the opening ceremony - I missed the first 20 minustes as was driving home but was hooked for the rest of it. Loved the industrial revolution part and the steel rings, thought Emeli sande was amazing, the song and her singing it was haunting although I gather NBC cut to something else whilst she was on?

The lighgting of the cauldron at the end was spectacular.

Danny Boyle did GB proud and whilst completely different to Beijing i think it was actually far better and more personal.
The best way forwards is upwards!

canoecarrier

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:12 pm

I read some article about how people attending the games are mad that the "Olympic flame" isn't visible outside the stadium. I was surprised they didn't at least put it high enough it could be seen outside the stadium without having to buy a ticket for a track and field event.

I thought the Vancouver Winter Olympics did it right and had the Olympic flame outside where everyone could see it.

Quoting sbworcs (Reply 54):
BBC coverage seems good although some of the commentators are slightly annoying.

Not a year goes by that I wish some other TV network here in the US would win the contract to show the Olympics other than NBC. The BBC can't possibly be as bad as NBC. It's highly edited, shown extremely tape delayed and full of fluff stories about competitors. When the Olympics were in Vancouver I had to watch events 6-8 hours tape delayed so they were in prime time even though I lived in the same time zone.

They mentioned today during the water polo events that some of the US athletes compete professionally in Europe. There can't possibly be that much interest in water polo abroad that it pays well to do that?

trident3

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Quoting sbworcs (Reply 54):
BBC coverage seems good although some of the commentators are slightly annoying.

Part of the problem for the BBC is that they are being very ambitious and providing televised coverage of almost everything, there are 24 Olympic TV channels available on satellite and cable. Consequently commentators are being drafted in to provide coverage of sports with which they are not entirely familiar so you end up with a F1 commentator (Jonathon Legard) doing volleyball, rugby league (George Riley) doing beach volleyball and cricket (Jonathon Agnew) doing Archery along with rugby commentator Eddie Butler!
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

OA260

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Quoting trident3 (Reply 56):

Indeed but fair play to the BBC they really pulled out all the stops. Free HD channels and free 3D broadcasting with quality coverage . Another top class British institution. The coverage here on the Irish networks is like watching paint dry.

canoecarrier

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:00 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 57):
Indeed but fair play to the BBC they really pulled out all the stops. Free HD channels and free 3D broadcasting with quality coverage . Another top class British institution.

Not that I have a 3D tv, but the 3D channels weren't free here. So, my wife was mad that she couldn't see the women's gymnastics today live, since they were only on the 3D channel. I realize she could have streamed them on-line but she's not a fan of watching TV on her laptop. It's too bad we can't get the BBC or Global from Canada here in the States. The Olympic coverage is so much better. I think most Americans, if they were able to compare, would probably agree.

OA260

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:08 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 58):

Yeah my Family in Greece are really wanting to get BBC HD too as they love the British TV channels and radio stations. Im lucky living near the border with Northern Ireland I get the signal but I would love to get BBC iPlayer on iMac but need a UK IP address. I heard there are a few ways around it. In the meantime the 24 Olympic channels are more than enough.  

us330

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:44 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 53):
I hate NBC

You have no idea. When I was watching the 400 IM final online live, NBC was showing......an interview with the female gymnasts. Just show the event twice--once live, and then once for the primetime show.
I don't mind watching the replays of swimming and track and field, because those can be exciting races--and nbc's broadcast team for both is actually top notch. For everythign gelse, though, they need to do a half an hour highlight package. I find gymnastics pretty boring--but what makes it horrible on NBC is their male color analyst who has a high-pitched, nasally voice who won't shut up.

I do appreciate that I can watch some of the other stuff on various other channels--ie some of the soccer, and other random events.

RussianJet

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:51 am

Still seeing lots of pictures of empty seats. I don't care what the reason is, it is just disgraceful. No matter what, there simply should not be any seats spare when so many people, particularly locals, want in.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

OA260

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:18 am

Good news that they have reacted to public opinion and released them :

More Olympics tickets back on sale

More Olympic tickets will go back on sale after the row over empty seats, organisers Locog have said.

It said an initial 3,000 tickets - including 600 gymnastics tickets - were "put back into the pot" and sold on the London 2012 website on Sunday night.

More tickets returned by sports federations would be released the night before events, Locog added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19048918

QFA380

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm thoroughly enjoying these games. The Opening Ceremony was incredible.

Channel Nine here is painful, thankfully at home we have a paytv subscription and I can stream it on my iPad with my parent's account, eight channels isn't too bad, certainly isn't 24 though!

Just watching the Equestrian now, cross country today. I love it but I'm a nervous wreck watching it, a horse just had a nasty fall and a few others have fallen over. Once had to see a horse put down during a cross country after breaking its leg.

The canoe slalom has come on, anyone know what the difference between a canoe and kayak is? Other than their paddles. The two man canoes look rather difficult.

The ticket fiasco is ridiculous, although we've heard for months about the families of athletes complaining that they weren't given tickets and then this happens.

canoecarrier

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 63):
The canoe slalom has come on, anyone know what the difference between a canoe and kayak is? Other than their paddles. The two man canoes look rather difficult.

The canoe paddler kneels to paddle during a race while a kayaker paddles sitting down. Also, a canoe paddle has a flat blade on only one end of the paddle shaft while the kayak paddle has a curved blade on each end. If you were to look inside an Olympic kayak you'd see they have seats in the bottom of them. Canoes have a place to kneel instead. They really are fairly similar.

GDB

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Quoting trident3 (Reply 56):
art of the problem for the BBC is that they are being very ambitious and providing televised coverage of almost everything, there are 24 Olympic TV channels available on satellite and cable.

They probably cannot win, likely the Mail and Murdoch press are bitching about excessive coverage, over the top etc, but if the BBC failed to cover ONE event the same rags would go with 'Unpatriotic BBC Betrayal Of Our Games' etc.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 61):
Still seeing lots of pictures of empty seats.

Same happened in 2004 and 2008, early on at least, suggesting it's down to the IOC.

RussianJet

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Great performance from the GBR men's team gymnasts. Well done lads.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

OA260

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:14 pm

Really enjoying the coverage of the events today . The quality of the venues is good and the empty seat issues seem to be addressed so hopefully more of the public can take part .

Mortyman

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:02 pm

Olympic opening ceremony included a tribute to all victims of terror--specifically the victims of the bombings that took place in London on July 7, 2005--the day the Olympics were awarded to London. But if you watched it on NBC, you didn't get a chance to see it. Instead, you got treated to a Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps

" NBC: We skipped terror tribute because it wasn't "tailored for the U.S. audience" "

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...sn-t-tailored-for-the-U-S-audience

http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/07/30/k...12/nbc/terror_and_london/22743500/

Not a good move by NBC ...

canoecarrier

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 65):
Same happened in 2004 and 2008, early on at least, suggesting it's down to the IOC.

I would imagine this is an organization problem as well. In the future they should develop a system where they don't give a bunch of tickets away to "friends of the IOC" without knowing whether or not they'll be used. It's unacceptable that it becomes a problem every year the Olympics are held. It's one thing if Botswana is playing Uruguay in soccer and no one is there to watch it, it's another thing when the women's gymnastics events have a block of empty seats. Although I'm not a fan of the gymnastics events, they're like figure skating in the Winter Olympics, being one of the most popular and most watched events of the games.

Here in the US there's a lot of questions as to why only 2 women gymnasts from each country move on to the all around rather than the top 24 athletes after Jordyn Wieber failed to be one of our country's top two athletes. My wife woke me up at 11 pm last night yelling at the TV when she didn't qualify.

OA260

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 68):

Actually it was the day after London got awarded the games . I remember it well.
As for NBC doing what they did its like 9/11 victims being shunned and edited from BBC coverage . Quite sickening IMHO. NBC should be ashamed of themselves. Why do they need to edit such things for an American audience are they that stupid?

QANTAS077

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:15 am

can't wait to see Yi Shiwen in the IM...hope she smashes them all and sticks it up those obnoxious jounalists who call her a drug cheat.

rampart

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:52 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 68):
Olympic opening ceremony included a tribute to all victims of terror--specifically the victims of the bombings that took place in London on July 7, 2005--the day the Olympics were awarded to London. But if you watched it on NBC, you didn't get a chance to see it. Instead, you got treated to a Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps

" NBC: We skipped terror tribute because it wasn't "tailored for the U.S. audience" "

This burns me. I later saw the segment, it was beautiful and well done. Yet, there were protests here that the IOC would not observe a minute of silence in memory of the 1972 terrorist victims in Munich. Well, here was a tribute built into the show, for all those impacted, inclusive of 1972. Why would a minute of silence be acceptable to US viewers, yet a dedicated sequence, much longer than a minute, was deemed editable? Idiocy and manipulative.

-Rampart

CPH-R

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:11 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 63):
Just watching the Equestrian now, cross country today. I love it but I'm a nervous wreck watching it, a horse just had a nasty fall and a few others have fallen over. Once had to see a horse put down during a cross country after breaking its leg.

There were a few moments of holding ones breath, that's for sure (one of the horses slipping and sliding at the entrance to the water grave springs to mind). I was pleasantly surprised that Danish TV actually broadcast the entire event from start to finish, even cancelling a few programs as it ran over time. The course looked absolutely amazing, especially the overhead shot when the riders entered the dressage stadium with the National Maritime Museum and Canary Wharf in the background.

I wonder how many of the horses are/were disqualified after the Vet's inspection?

GDB

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:47 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 70):
Why do they need to edit such things for an American audience are they that stupid?

It's long been the case that some US networks treat their audience with contempt, presumably they assume that their own shallowness is the same for everyone. Yet they have such a huge audience to serve! From a population of over 300m.
Wonder how NBC would have reported it had the games been in the US and the BBC cut away from a 9/11 tribute segment?
But the impression I've got from seeing this story reported in the past few days is that many US sports fans and others don't have much regard for NBC coverage anyway.

CPH-R

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:58 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 74):
But the impression I've got from seeing this story reported in the past few days is that many US sports fans and others don't have much regard for NBC coverage anyway.

They didn't exactly help themselves, by throwing out the "It needs our expert commentators' context to make sense!"-line, and then having said commentators not doing a very good job of it.

http://www.sbnation.com/london-olymp...ning-ceremony-tape-delay-statement

Aleksandar

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:24 am

First of all, I have to say something to all my fellow A.netters from the UK: "Don't be so cynical, enjoy the moment. You will regret it if you don't"
I have been watching Olympics ever since Moscow in 1980. Those grim, boycott stricken Game when the world saw the beginning of great rivalry between Owett and Coe. Also, Yugoslavia won gold in basketball which was huge success. Ever since that, I have been watching every Olympic Game with great enthusiasm with the exception of Barcelona Games. They made me feel bad. You might consider me too naive, but we all need more Olympics in this world. My life-long wish to visit Olympic Games is still just a wish but I do hope and pray that I will see it live at least once in my life.

Quoting flipdewaf (Thread starter):
I have always watched the olypics on TV whilst growing up (I remember sally gunnel and linford getting golds in atlanta despite only being 5 and have always stayed up till stupid o'clock to see the events.

Oh, kiddo  
Quoting flipdewaf (Thread starter):
What are you going to see?

Everything covered on local RTS, Eurosport and BBC One.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 23):
Athens got a new Airport which was badly needed and a metro system again which was needed.

Now....Athens got better traffic infrastructure, but they seemed to get lots of white elephants as well. I was stunned with aquatics center in Athens, with velodrome, tennis courts...what is going on with all those venues now? China is able to build something stunning just to impress the rest of the world, but Athens and Greece were not and we see the consequences now.  
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

ltbewr

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 am

The Olympics are always very important to the hosts. For the London Games, the UK people badly need something to rally around, to do well, to show that can do big things at a time when for many they are facing changing lives due to long evolving economic changes.
For the USA, some good things, some disappointments. Missy Franklin, a 17 year old woman who won the 100M Backstroke is from Aurora, Colorado, the city where James Holmes killed 12 less than 2 weeks ago and on the same day he formally faced in court charges for his alleged crimes. Our Men's swimming team got a few more medals, but a French guy seems to be the golden man in the pool with 2 Golds so far. Our Men in team gymnastics came in 5th, GB came in at a slightly disappointing 3rd in a disputed scoring with Japan's team. China's team won the Gold, helping to keep a tie or lead in the overall medal count in these games so far.

OA260

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:31 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 76):
Now....Athens got better traffic infrastructure, but they seemed to get lots of white elephants as well.

But they also got many things which are vital in today's modern Athens/Greece so when the country is in crisis they are still benefiting from these projects so when things turn around again or level off then it still would have been worth it . They gained more than they lost.

but Athens and Greece were not and we see the consequences now.  

The issues that Greece have now is nothing to do with the Athens 2004 games. Yes stadiums are closed but Athens 2004 was a major success for the country at the time. It brought major tourism upgrades to resorts and hotels which will still benefit tourism today .

Sadly there will be no legacy for the majority of sports events built for the event but the rest of the projects certainly provided a legacy in other ways . Don't forget Athens lost the 1996 bid due to lack of infrastructure .

----

Some rather vicious comments about a Chinese swimmer made :

The British Olympic Association's chairman has said teenage Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen is not a drug cheat, after a US coach cast doubt on her world record-breaking swim.

Lord Colin Moynihan said Ye, 16, had passed drug tests, was "clean" and deserved recognition for her talent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19062639

bjorn14

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:07 pm

Quoting qantas077 (Reply 71):
can't wait to see Yi Shiwen in the IM...hope she smashes them all and sticks it up those obnoxious jounalists who call her a drug cheat.

Huh huh, a 16-year old girl swims a faster 50m free split than the Men's 400 IM winner Ryan Lofte after swimming 300 meters? She swims the race 7 seconds faster than she did just 6 months ago. That's some 'special seaweed'. Reminds me a little bit of Michelle Smith. Usually when something 'special' happens in swimming it's chemically induced.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

us330

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:18 pm

In the ongoing saga of "NBC fails the Olympics," this might have been one of the network's more boneheaded moments: http://deadspin.com/5930359/nbc-runs...ome-of-race-they-were-about-to-air

This commercial, promoting the Today show's exclusive w Missy Franklin celebrating with her parents after winning gold was aired minutes before the actual race was shown on NBC primetime.

Kiwirob

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:00 pm

Considering she swam a faster final leg than Lochte somethings got to be up with that. It's like Flo Jo, she came from absolute knowhere in 1988 and runs the fastest 100m & 200m a women has ever run, even Jones with all the chemicals she took couldn't get close.

GrahamHill

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:45 pm

Tony Estanguet (canoe slalom) has won his 3rd gold medal after Sydney and Athens! Quite a performance.

France get their 4th gold medal. We're 3rd behind China and the US. This can last until athletics start 
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

canoecarrier

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 80):
This commercial, promoting the Today show's exclusive w Missy Franklin celebrating with her parents after winning gold was aired minutes before the actual race was shown on NBC primetime.

GDB is right, NBC treats its audience with contempt. We're force fed what they want us to watch and they try to maximize profits by editing down the major events so they can all be shown in prime time. And, god forbid you want to see anything but an American athlete compete.

I was really pissed about them giving away Missy Franklin's gold medal finish before the race. She had just run a 200 meter heat 20 minutes before the race. Something the commentators hadn't been done before, at least by an American. Then they cut away for a commercial and have a picture of her with her gold medal on so they can promote the Today Show.

Rara

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Yay, double-gold for Germany in the equestrian!   Took a while...

Hint: if she "smashes them all", this will do the opposite of silencing critical voices.  

What makes you so sure she didn't dope? After all we all know how prevalent doping is in Chinese sports. Though I agree it's bad form for officials to cry doping when nothing has been proven... however, a journalist who's worth his money MUST raise the issue after her miraculous performance.

Now....Athens got better traffic infrastructure, but they seemed to get lots of white elephants as well. I was stunned with aquatics center in Athens, with velodrome, tennis courts...what is going on with all those venues now? China is able to build something stunning just to impress the rest of the world, but Athens and Greece were not and we see the consequences now.

In many ways, Athens 2004 were the "Olympics that shouldn't have been". They were what started Greece's debt problems in earnest. Athens wasn't able to afford the Games, and most of the Olympic sites are simply rotting away nowadays. Quite sad to look at photos of it.

Sidenote: is anyone else annoyed with this Twittermania? Twitter here, Twitter there, results were twittered, nonsense it twittered, athlete twitters himself off the Olympics, a Twittering overdose kills the road-cycling broadcast... give it a rest already. Apologies to any Twitter users out there, but I see this as total onanism by the media and certain "celebrities". Who would have thought it's not a good idea to give every idiot athlete a way to shout out whatever is on their mind at any moment? Who in their right mind really uses Twitter? It's a content-generation machine for lazy journalists, and too many people keep on feeding it.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

StarAC17

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:20 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 53):
That hadn't even been shown here in the western US yet..   I hate NBC. Even the CBC (who always has better coverage than NBC) and BBC America aren't allowed to show the events live here. The French have been strong in swimming though. Phelps is making a fool out of himself this Olympics, Lochte not so much.

CBC doesn't have the Canadian Olympic broadcast rights anymore, CTV now has them and probably the only American's that don't get screwed by NBC's coverage is people with rabbit ears near the border.

Most of my family is Jamaican and in 2008 we were the only ones that saw Bolt run live both my family in Jamaica and Florida couldn't see it live.

On another note, an epic tennis match between Canada and France, tied 12-12 in the 3rd set.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Tugger

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Quoting trident3 (Reply 43):
I know I'm being a bit pedantic here but shouldnt Her Majesty have addressed him as Commander Bond not Mr Bond?

Well remember, Mr. Bond is a "deniable asset" so you couldn't really have the queen addressing by anything beyond a generic title!  

Tugg

[Edited 2012-07-31 12:29:18 by srbmod]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Aleksandar

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 78):
The British Olympic Association's chairman has said teenage Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen is not a drug cheat, after a US coach cast doubt on her world record-breaking swim.

Everybody is innocent until proven otherwise, but...one cannot help but remember the cases of drug cheat in China's swim team and track and field in 1990s with all those former East German trainers included. Ye Shiwen is a great swimmer without a doubt...but other scenario would not surprise me.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Aleksandar

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:06 pm

The issues that Greece have now is nothing to do with the Athens 2004 games.

I'm afraid you are not completely right about it. Olympics can be a several nails in coffin if not the coffin itself. Remember that Montreal is still paying the price of their Games.

Nobody mentioned Tom Daley and scandal regarding tweet.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Kiwirob

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:28 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 90):
Remember that Montreal is still paying the price of their Games.

They paid off their games in 2006.

canoecarrier

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 89):

Everybody is innocent until proven otherwise, but...one cannot help but remember the cases of drug cheat in China's swim team and track and field in 1990s with all those former East German trainers included. Ye Shiwen is a great swimmer without a doubt...but other scenario would not surprise me.

She did swim five seconds quicker than her own personal best, which is why everyone is wondering how she could improve that much at the Olympics. I know how this would be looked at in professional cycling.

OA260

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm afraid you are not completely right about it. Olympics can be a several nails in coffin if not the coffin itself.

Well I know Greece and Athens and was there at the time before the Olympics and saw the projects being planned and built and see now the aftermath. If it had not been for the games the metro ( used by thousands of Greeks and tourists daily ) , Airport , motorways and other facilities would have been put off and money "lost" elsewhere. At least the people benefitted and still benefit on a daily basis from these things. I remember at the time many Greeks complained about the digging up of the city for a metro they didnt need yet these days many Athenians would be lost without it. People often like to blame events for things but the fact is Greece is bust today because of corrupt governments not the Olympics.

Nobody mentioned Tom Daley and scandal regarding tweet.

Its not a big story but sad all the same that they could bring his dead Father into it . Sick people .

fruitbat

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 69):
Here in the US there's a lot of questions as to why only 2 women gymnasts from each country move on to the all around rather than the top 24 athletes

'Cos they are the rules - everyone knows them when they start, and if you've got to beat your team mates so be it. Having said that, it does seem to be an odd rule given that other sports (e.g. swimming) take the best 8 times from 3 semi-finals, for example.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 77):
GB came in at a slightly disappointing 3rd

Hardly disappointing - this was the first British mens medal in gymnastics since 1912.....they were ecstatic at the end with a medal, never mind the fact that it could (should?) have been silver!!

She's innocent until proven guilty. It's irresponsible and potentially destructive to start accusing without evidence.

If Missy Franklin had broken the WR last night, would the same questions be asked of her?

[Edited 2012-07-31 12:30:08 by srbmod]
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

David_itl

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 77):
GB came in at a slightly disappointing 3rd

Considering British Gymnastics has not had a medal in the team event for 88 years, I don't think it wasn't disappointing. Indeed, as one of the free morning tabloids (Metro) had it's headline:

It's life, gym, but not as we know it

Aleksandar

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:48 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 93):
Well I know Greece and Athens and was there at the time before the Olympics and saw the projects being planned and built and see now the aftermath. If it had not been for the games the metro ( used by thousands of Greeks and tourists daily ) , Airport , motorways and other facilities would have been put off and money "lost" elsewhere. At least the people benefitted and still benefit on a daily basis from these things. I remember at the time many Greeks complained about the digging up of the city for a metro they didnt need yet these days many Athenians would be lost without it. People often like to blame events for things but the fact is Greece is bust today because of corrupt governments not the Olympics.

You are right about that. If it wasn't for the Olympics, Athens wouldn't have all of that, but, we, as spotters would discuss this while spotting planes on top of Emmantina hotel  I was joking a bit, but you are right. The problem is, was Greece able to afford all of that? Could have those Games be cheaper?

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 91):
They paid off their games in 2006

Good for them. It only took 30 years.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 92):
She did swim five seconds quicker than her own personal best, which is why everyone is wondering how she could improve that much at the Olympics. I know how this would be looked at in professional cycling.

Today, I was watching Ian Thorpe this morning on BBC One and he defended young Chinese swimmer saying that he also broke his personal best by five seconds. What scares me is that she was faster than guys!
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

OA260

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:07 pm

Quoting fruitbat (Reply 94):

Lol well sometimes you just have to  

As for our beloved Barfbags daily motivational posts I would kind of miss them TBH   Lets hope their power grid doesnt go down again as we will not get these updates   lol ...

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 96):

Emmantina spotting .... Your right they shouldnt have left Hellinikon   haha...

I am positive about Londons legacy though as the locals are benefitting from the infrastructure and investment and after the games im sure this will continue . I will certainly go back and visit .

Aleksandar

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:10 pm

Oh...and speaking of Daley and Twitter...what really surprised me was that police arrested that bloke.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Mir

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 96):
Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 92):

Today, I was watching Ian Thorpe this morning on BBC One and he defended young Chinese swimmer saying that he also broke his personal best by five seconds.

If she were in her late 20s, there might be more to it, but Thorpe said that he cut a lot of time off his races when he was between 15 and 16.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

fruitbat

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:16 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 98):

Arrested on suspicion of malicious communications - an offence brought in to do with preventing stalking and harassment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19059127

GDB

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting fruitbat (Reply 94):
Oh good, your usual daily complaint about the games.

Until the battery on the PC that posted it goes!

Quoting david_itl (Reply 95):
It's life, gym, but not as we know it

Excellent!

Quoting Mir (Reply 99):
If she were in her late 20s, there might be more to it, but Thorpe said that he cut a lot of time off his races when he was between 15 and 16.

I read an article today saying if ever results can be unexpectedly good, it's in their mid teens, still growing.
Plus China has the largest pool (pardon the pun) of potential talented athletes to chose of any nation.