eaa3
Topic Author

Olympics Opening Ceremony- What Do You Think?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi,

Are you watching the Olympic opening ceremony. It's not often that all of A.net (i.e. the world) gets a chance to watch the same show at the same time!

What do you think? Did you like the show and ceremony?

Personally I liked it!

Virginblue4

RE: Olympics Opening Ceremony- What Do You Think?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm really enjoying it. Still 2 hours to go yet! I'm looking forward to seeing how they light the cauldron  

Jordan
712 738 744 752 762 763 764 320 321 332 F70 Q400
BE BY DL MT PC V7 VS WA ZB 6Y

Braybuddy

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting eaa3 (Thread starter):
Are you watching the Olympic opening ceremony.

I'm one of the five billion not watching. I have absolutely no interest in this quadrennial overblown, overlong, drug-fuelled borefest.

It's at times like this not having a TV really pays off. And I won't be catching-up with it on Youtube either. I think I have some Christmas cards to write . . .

CPH-R

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:47 pm

I loved it!

I'm starting to get an idea of how the cauldron is going to work out, but I'll wait and see how it works out.

HorizonGirl

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:58 pm

I am going to go out on a limb here, and say that this is the best Opening Ceremony I have ever seen!

Many of my reasons come down to personal preferences, but so far:

History through interpretive dance.
Shakespeare.
The Olympic rings being poured out of molten iron.
MIKE OLDFIELD.
Chariots of Fire being performed by the London Symphony Orchestra... and Rowan Atkinson!
Bohemian Rhapsody.
A touching performance of "Abide with Me."

I am on the edge of my seat here!   

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

Cadet985

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 2):
I'm one of the five billion not watching. I have absolutely no interest in this quadrennial overblown, overlong, drug-fuelled borefest.

I'm yet another of those not watching.

Marc

ZKSUJ

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Best bit was Mr Bean lol. Classic

shamrock350

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Loved it.

The NHS performance was excellent, loved the little message it carried to our government about NHS cuts. The industrial revolution was my favourite part though, so well thought out with the rings forming above the stadium.

I'm a Londoner so was always going to be interested in watching the Games but I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed the build up and seeing the city change in preparation for them, in particular the areas of east London.

Here's to a great London 2012 games! I'll be supporting Team Ireland but would obviously like to see Team GB do well as the host nation.

dragon-wings

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:47 pm

Im not watching it. Only because it is not on TV yet. It will be on at 8pm (EST). It stinks that I can't watch it live.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

RussianJet

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Every bit as tacky and lame as I feared it would be. All that social network crap was just lame and embarrassing. Just dreadful. I just knew it would be as rubbish as the logo. 'Look at us we're so cool'......yeah, ok. Something with grace, style and panache would have been better.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

bueb0g

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:51 pm

It was bloody awesome, is all I have to say. Certainly the most original opening ceremony I can remember. Kudos to Danny Boyle - he makes great films and great ceremonies, apparently!
Roger roger, what's our vector, victor?

MarSciGuy

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 pm

It hasn't been televised here yet :S ... 38 minutes to go :p (does that answer the question if I'm watching it or not?  
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

HELyes

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:15 pm

I think the start was boring, the history lesson was a bit too much, our team at home always fell to sleep. Always interesting to see the teams marching in. The Czech team had big rubber boots, I wonder what was behind that, prepared for rainy London?  

David L

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Quoting bueb0g (Reply 10):
Kudos to Danny Boyle

And kudos to the Queen for playing her part in the "parachute drop" into the stadium with 007.   

Aesma

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:46 pm

I watched most of it. It is quite good, with great tidbits, but I also found some stuff was a little obscure to the not British eye (like EastEnders). Also, I would have loved to be able to see it with a Briton commenting instead of the stupid and useless TF1 commentators.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

kasimir

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Very surprised at how great and original this was!

This might be the best opening ceremony I have seen, definitely the most British one  

Kudos to Danny Boyle

WrenchBender

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Quoting HorizonGirl (Reply 4):
MIKE OLDFIELD.

Oh Hell Yes

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

dc9northwest

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Hmm... Some parts were good, some parts weren't (like the ravers on stage, the facebook-style stuff). I think the human element failed compared to Beijing 2008.

The ideas were alright, the lighting of the flame good, but... It kinda fell flat.

fxramper

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:55 pm

am here now, beijing, athens & sydney were a bit more impressive. Too much uninspiring music and why have redgrave lite the torch? who watched rowing the last 5 olympics? Give it to Beckham or even Linford Christie. bah...   

Mir

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:00 am

Going to have to rewatch it because the internet stream I was watching on was incredibly laggy, but from what I saw it was a pretty damn good show. James Bond and Rowan Atkinson particularly.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

GDB

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:02 am

After that 'logo', those mascots, when Danny Boyle, a great film-maker and all round good bloke, was picked to do the ceremony, I did think, 'a safe pair of hands'.

But he rather transcended just that, with a lot of quirky, offbeat humour, some eccentric choices for contributors, as little pomposity as possible within the constraints of Olympic formalities.
Plenty of patriotism yes, but that's where the humour and eccentricity came in too, certainly no dour chest-beating.

While some not well acquainted with certain aspects of modern UK culture - a majority of the televisual audience admittedly - might wonder quite what some of it was about, you'd have to be devoid of a sense of humour, not to be amused by some of it, even if maybe a bit bewildered.

To those who told us it would be cheap looking, too tacky or too dully historical, subject to all manner of glitches and foul ups, over the past 7 years, you were proved resoundingly wrong.
And I'm not even a sports, much less Olympic enthusiast.

[Edited 2012-07-27 17:04:42]

[Edited 2012-07-27 17:05:18]

OA260

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:05 am

Fantastic and just shows what London and the UK can do when they put their minds to it . Loved the history bit and really showed what has made the UK what it is today something many countries can only aspire to .

Quoting David L (Reply 13):
And kudos to the Queen for playing her part in the "parachute drop" into the stadium with 007.   

I loved this so much . Would have been unheard of years ago and just shows how the Monarchy has changed and is in touch with the people.

So a big well done to London and the people that made this possible. This really is London at its best and everyone can be very proud .   

Athens and Beijing were great but London just became the best .

Some nice pictures here :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...tish-Olympic-opening-ceremony.html

shamrock350

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:05 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 18):
am here now, beijing, athens & sydney were a bit more impressive. Too much uninspiring music and why have redgrave lite the torch? who watched rowing the last 5 olympics? Give it to Beckham or even Linford Christie. bah...  

Redgrave didn't light the torch, he handed it to a number of young athletes to mark the theme of inspiring a generation who then lit the petals which rose up formed one large flame.

Drug ban Linford Christie? And David Beckham started the torch relay when it arrived, he's only mainly a footballer and celebrity than an Olympic hero suitable to light the flame. I think getting the younger athletes nominated by British legends was excellent.

fxramper

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:11 am

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 22):
Redgrave didn't light the torch, he handed it to a number of young athletes to mark the theme of inspiring a generation who then lit the petals which rose up formed one large flame.

was waiting for one of you to so aptly correct me. young athletes? even worse. which is why i so humorously nominated christie. comical your rushing to the defense of the games your not attending in person. beijing destroyed london. how many tickets unsold still? media likes to call it 25% and a failure thus far.

Here is to hoping some rising athlete (not phelps) wins some golds and makes it a memorable olympics. Rio could be worse...

GDB

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:15 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 23):
25% and a failure thus far.

Who briefed you? One of Mitt's team?

OA260

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:18 am

was waiting for one of you to so aptly correct me. young athletes? even worse. which is why i so humorously nominated christie. comical your rushing to the defense of the games your not attending in person. beijing destroyed london. how many tickets unsold still? media likes to call it 25% and a failure thus far.

Beijing destroyed peoples lives and homes and tore down villages. Yeah glad you liked it .  

Yep young athletes the stars of tomorrow , certainly seems a good choice to me . We had plenty of famous people and this was about including the not so known also.

gabrielchew

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:21 am

I thought that it was pretty good overall! I loved the James Bond bit...I never thought I'd see the day the Queen actually did a bit of acting, especially jumping out of a helicopter...and the Union Flag parachutes.....AMAZING!!!! Some pretty good music too. Overall, i'm impressed we managed something original and interesting, and a lot less fake that 4 years ago....looking forward to seeing the boxing and beach volleyball next week. Also great that Jersualem was the first piece played - very British.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Rara

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:23 am

Wonderful.

When the Industrialization thingy started, I got worried that it might become a bit overblown, the whole picture was incredibly messy - but it sort of developed into the show's own style, and it worked well.

I particularly paid attention to the contrasts to Beijing 2008. Where Zhang Yimou used hundreds of perfectly synchronized dancers, today we got the creative chaos of British enterpreneurs, scientists and inventors. Where they used a picture-perfect little girl to sing the anthem, today we had a choir of disabled kids. Where they upheld the pompous and over dramatic style at all times, today we got many moments of humour and self-mockery. Who would have thought that free health insurance for everyone is an achievement worthy of celebrating at the Olympic Games opening?   I liked that. Also at the end, when Redgrave ran past the construction workers, I couldn't help thinking how odd and out of place it would have seemed in Beijing to show the dusty and hurdled Chinese construction workers who built the bird's nest. And how cool it is do something like that.

Shows that you don't need to break every record and come up with an even bigger extravaganza every time. Beijing was bigger and more impressive, but London was cooler and more likeable - hope it's going to be the same for the whole Games.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Mir

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 18):
why have redgrave lite the torch? who watched rowing the last 5 olympics? Give it to Beckham or even Linford Christie. bah...

Steve Redgrave is a national olympic hero for the UK.

young athletes? even worse.

The whole idea of the games is to provide something for future generations (part of the regeneration of East London, etc.), so that's completely in line with that idea.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

OA260

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:43 am

Some of the news articles :

LONDON -- Organizers of the London Olympics did exactly what they intended.

They surprised the world.

Roger Bannister, the first man to break the four-minute barrier in a mile race, did not take the final torch leg to light the Olympic flame as many had expected. Instead it was a ceremony of inclusion.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympi...ght-torch-20120727,0,7859813.story

--

Britain dazzles world with Olympics spectacle

London 2012 Games declared open by queen after dramatic celebration of the UK distilled into spectacular performance.

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II has declared the London Olympics open following an extravagant celebration that included Bond, the Bard and a Beatle.

London's seven-year countdown to the Games came to a crescendo on Friday with a stunning, imaginative, whimsical and dramatic celebration of the host country.

http://www.aljazeera.com/sport/olymp...cs/2012/07/201272719731236470.html

---
IN decades to come they will talk about the London Olympic Games as the one where this athlete won a gold medal and that one broke a world record. They'll talk about races and times and wind assistance.

That's what they always talk about when they recall Olympic Games.

But London 2012 will be different.

This will always be the Olympics when the Queen and James Bond jumped out of a helicopter.
A few hundred years ago director Danny Boyle could have been sent to the Tower for even suggesting such treason, but as if to show how far England and the monarchy have come in that time, Her Majesty not only let Boyle get away with it. She was actually in on the joke.

The scene in which Bond actor Daniel Craig walked into Buckingham Palace to be greeted, not by a lookalike but by the Queen of England herself, might not have had anything to with sport, but it could well have been the most astonishing moment in modern Olympic history.

Records will always be broken, athletes will come and go, but we'll never see anything like that again.

Which is why in London right now, even though the first races have been run and won and the Olympics are finally underway, no-one who was there can stop talking about that amazing Opening Ceremony.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/london-...emony/story-fndpu6dv-1226437036739

---

Klaus

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:52 am

An all-around excellent event; Relatively down to earth and unusually relaxed.

The bit with James Bond and the Queen('s double) was hilarious, even if the Queen herself didn't seem to be quite there at any time (hard to blame her, though, with most of the show clearly geared towards people at least half a century younger than herself).

The lighting of the fire was done brilliantly.

They also had a very good music selection – I loved the Pink Floyd finale in particular, but also most of the rest.

Very well done. Now good luck for excellent games overall.

af773atmsp

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:07 am

A great show so far, I love the visuals and the music. If only there could've been a Concorde.  
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

aznmadsci

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:11 am

I loved it!!!! I agree with Klaus, the lighting of the cauldron was freaking BRILLIANT!!!!! They truly lived up to the motto of "Inspire a Generation"! I can't wait for the rest of the games!
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

Gingersnap

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:25 am

I might be biased but it was fantastic (although I could have done without Macca admittedly).

The cauldron is easily one of the best there has ever been.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

zippyjet

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:43 am

I have not seen it yet, I'm at work at BWI. It's not on the CNN airport network. Sounds like it's an over the top hoot. But with all this pomp, circumstance and outlay of money did they not install A/C in the athlete's quarters? The US athlete's getups (outfits) make them look like they are the crew of the Love Boat! I waiting to see some skin!    Misty May and Keri's sweaty buff bum crack and CT through their skimpy little bikinis. The hottie women diver's and swimmers doing their flipturns and catching their taught tushies, The gymnast's looking like hard bodied prostitots, Hope Solo and friends in their soccer uniforms glistening with sweat. I think you've got the point.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

NW747400

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:51 am

Loved it! I thought it was much better than Beijing. As I watched on TV, I thought that the Beijing opening almost seemed fake (turns out some of it was). Overall I thought the whole ceremony was tastefully done. You Brits can definitely take pride in that opening ceremony! Well done London!!!!
NW747400

SmithAir747

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:19 am

I'm watching it right now here on NBC in San Francisco, and enjoying it.

This Olympiad is very special to me, because I lived in London from 2004 to 2007 (I attended King's College London, Guy's Hospital campus at London Bridge). I can still remember the "Back the Bid" adverts all over the Tube, buses, train stations, everywhere.

I miss London and wish I could be there now to see the Olympics in person in my adopted hometown!

Once a Londoner, always a Londoner  

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Ken777

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:31 am

Very well done.

The organizers, designers and performers can be very proud of their achievements.

chrisair

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:33 am

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 8):
It stinks that I can't watch it live.
Quoting MarSciGuy (Reply 11):
It hasn't been televised here yet :S ... 38 minutes to go :p (does that answer the question if I'm watching it or not?  

You guys didn't look around very well. There were a few streams of it while it was occurring live--I watched the BBC 1 stream, although I heard CBC had one up. Much better than the garbage NBC has with those idiots Meredith Vieira and Matt Lauer. The BBC one was on for 4 hours and not once did they cut to commercial, unlike NBC...

Derico

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:36 am

You know, watching that ceremony reminded me why the Olympics make me sick (the organization, not the idea): they claim there are no politics to be involved in the games, yet who was carrying the Olympic flag? A whole bunch of ACTIVISTS!! Regardless, even if their causes were pure, isn't that taking sides on whatever issues those men/women were involved in?
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

zkojq

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:12 am

I really loved it! The countryside scene at the beginning was very nice, oh so British. The NHS scene was rather well done, particularly all the the flying Mary Poppins. Being an aviation geek, my favourite part was Her Majesty arriving with Mr Bond (in G-OLYM, an Agusta Westland AW139, for those interested http://bit.ly/QnBYNp). I was quite surprised that the bit where they flew through Tower Bridge was actually real, not CGI. Kudos to the pilots. Other than that, Rowan Atkinson's performance was a really nice touch (nothing like a bit of humour in an event that so many people take very seriously) and ferrying the torch up the river in that rather classy looking speedboat was very stylish.

My only criticism is that the precession of the Olympians takes far too long. Since they are all presumably very fit, couldn't they just run in to save time? It also bothered me that, for some of the smaller countries, the NZ commentators were reading information straight off Wikipedia - hardly the end of the world though.

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 31):
If only there could've been a Concorde.

Or at least a few BA A319s that look somewhat like doves!

Lets hope the rest of the Olympics go just as well as the opening ceremony. Good luck to the New Zealand team.  

[Edited 2012-07-27 22:00:29]
First to fly the 787-9

3DoorsDown

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:18 am

Yaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn!!!!     

Silver1SWA

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:24 am

I've been watching the NBC broadcast on and off...I have it on in the background. I'm impressed with what I've seen. I'm am getting annoyed with the commentary though. As the countries walk in, they just keep making comment after comment about all the controversey, politics, etc. surrounding the olympics and the athletes but try make it sound like all of that doesn't matter because this is a time for everyone to coming together blah blah...and then two minutes later they do it again...and again...and again. ENOUGH! If we should forget about all the controversey, STOP BRINGING IT UP, YA??
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

PanHAM

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:28 am

Brilliant.

The change from an agricultural country, the industrial revolution to the modern times,

Her Majesty taking the helicopter to the stadium showed real British humor, best was the 2 corgis left behind and i understand that except for the footage in the copter, it was Her Majesty herself. No double. The UK must be envied for that Head of State.

Thanks to all the people participating in that show, outstanding was Rowan Atkinson, touching as always Muhamed Ali and Sir Paul wrapping it up with Hey Jude.

Congratulations britain, Well done.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

MadameConcorde

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:35 am

Quoting eaa3 (Thread starter):
What do you think? Did you like the show and ceremony?

I must have gone about one hour and some in the show then I called it quits and went to sleep.

For as much as I have seen, there was no happy spirit and the themes... with the kids in hospital beds... Spooky hospital scene... James Bond jumping off a helicopter with a faux Queen?? Voldemort and Harry Potter... What the heck?

Even Queen Liz looked bored.

I have watched almost all Olympic games opening ceremonies since the 1960 Rome Olympics, Tokyo 1964 and after... I was in Seoul in the stadium for the opening of the 88 games... it was fabulous... glorious... happy... colourful... convivial... but this?

I must say this London thing was the worst I have seen ever. Even the Soviet Moscow Olympics opening ceremony was beautiful compared with this London 2012 opening thing.

I would have liked to watch more... I tried... but I just couldn't.

I can't believe they spent all that tax payers / sponsors money on such a show.

:-(
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

EA CO AS

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:05 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 44):
Queen Liz looked bored.

...as NBC's Bob Costas somehow arrived at the conclusion that she was "cheering wildly." Interesting.

If that was cheering wildly, I'd hate to see her when she's feeling down!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

na

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:12 am

Very creative, entertaining and original, very British. Less pathos than I was expecting. A fantastic lightshow as well. Loved the scene when "James Bond" visited HM the Queen. First time I watched an opening ceremony from the beginning to the end.

Ideekay

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:12 am

Watched till Costa Rica, than it got boring.

I want the reg. of the helicopter 

Doona

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:35 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 2):
I think I have some Christmas cards to write . . .

So an annual overblown, overlong, drug-fuelled borefest is preferable to a quadrennial one?
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Dreadnought

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:48 am

I watched it on French TV, and snapped over to Swiss and German and Italian channels, and one thing I noticed in common was that the sound quality on all of them was awful. It seems that TV crews were not allowed to plug into the mixing board, but had to record sound through standing microphones, and you got all the echo and lag typical of the worst bootleg recordings of a stadium concert. The poor sound ruined it for me. Did anyone else get that?
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.