Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

darthluke12694

RE: Surprising Cities You've Visited

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:34 am

San Juan, Puerto Rico - I visited that city while I was on a cruise, and I was VERY impressed by the city. I want to go back again some day and stay there for a few days. I absolutely loved the city. It's just so beautiful. The buildings are colorful, the people are nice, and it's easy to get around. Before I arrived to San Juan, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it definitely exceeded my expectations.

San Jose, Costa Rica - It was much better than I had expected. Yes, it is still dirty, but I felt safe and the people are nice and there is some nice architecture, although nowhere near San Juan.

MD-90

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:46 am

Quoting blink182 (Reply 33):
Portland, Maine. Great food, drink, art, and outdoor scenes, a balanced population density, and amazing views from the coast. If you go to Maine's coast for holiday, spend a day or night in Portland.

We stayed at the Eastland Park Hotel (which apparently is currently closed for renovations) and it was a nice hotel with a great location. Portland was a lot of fun and had great character.

Portland, Maine
Madison, Wisconsin (you gotta give the hippies some credit)
Galway, Ireland (more authentic and less touristy than Dublin)

fr8mech

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 am

Prestwick, Scotland (got laid everytime we laid over there), quite a few crew members told me it was not worth leaving the hotel. This 'advice' has taught me to never trust flight crew   

Nassau, Bahamas. After spending sometime in Freeport, I expected the worst

Nashville, TN. Don't really know what I expected, but really enjoyed my visit

Superfly

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:09 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 51):
Madison, Wisconsin (you gotta give the hippies some credit)

I had made several reports about Madison. It's a real fun town and I was taken back by all the city has to offer despite being a small mid-western town.

I Like Madison, Wisconsin (by Superfly Jun 7 2007 in Non Aviation)?threadid=1635760&searchid=1636032&s=Madison%2C+Wisconsin+Superfly#ID1636032

Larry Craig, NWA DC9, Midwest 717 And Lots Of Beer (by Superfly Nov 28 2007 in Trip Reports)#1

Geezer

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:42 am

Honolulu !

I never thought I wanted to go to Hawaii; When I was offered a free trip, I actually turned it down ! (the next day, after talking to a few people, I came to my senses and took the offer ); was supposed to stay 3 weeks.........I liked Oahu so much, I stayed 3 months !

There are far too many things about Oahu to like to list; greatest weather in the world, more rainbows than any other place on earth, and the birds...........the birds are so fearless, they will set on your hand and eat bread all day long !

One very amazing fact about Oahu is..............more species of trees from all over the world (and other vegetation) will thrive there, than any other place on earth ! Trees from Africa, from all over Asia, Europe, S. America...........all can be found in one glorious city park.........Foster Gardens; right across the street from China Town !

Another amazing thing; there's a city park in Coco Crater; the "climate" in the crater is very aired desert.......almost never rains there; yet 10-12 miles away, in the mountains, it rains several hundred inches per year ! One of the wettest places on earth.

I love architecture; Honolulu (and Waikiki Beach) have fantastic buildings ! Someone mentioned being legal to drink beer in the streets in Texas...............how many places can you rent a stretch-limo, with wet bar, and cruise the town, drinking anything you desire ? You can in Honolulu ! (almost made me wish I liked to drink alcohol !)

Surfing.............in the winter months, some of the most monstrous waves anyplace ! ( but I don't surf ) While everyone was bragging about how infrequent shark attacks were around the island, there were 3 in one week !

If WN ever gets their act together and starts going to Honolulu, I may go back; I LOVE that place !

Charley