Ken777
Topic Author

Lowest Blood Supply In 15 Years

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:06 pm

A rather concerning article in USA Today (and probably elsewhere) about how low the supply is.

Quote:

Summer is typically a time when donations are sluggish because people are away on vacations and schools that host blood drives are closed. Officials say this summer is worse than normal.
Severe storms in early July forced the cancellation of dozens of blood drives. Extreme heat has kept donors indoors and at home. And because July 4th fell in the middle of the week, more employees took extended vacations, and fewer businesses hosted blood drives.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...tionwide-blood-shortage/56545264/1

Hopefully the article will spur more people to donate. The Red Cross is pretty good letting you know when a collection team will be somewhere close to you, making it as easy as possible.

I was made very aware how important blood can be when my wife went through 18 months of chemo and needed blood multiple times. Now days I get a call from the Red Cross when I'm close to being able to donate again.

ltbewr

RE: Lowest Blood Supply In 15 Years

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:38 pm

This may become a more serious problem in the future due to a number of factors. More people cannot donate due to medical exclusions, legal drug and illegal drug use. More people are not working in businesses where blood drives can be conducted. Some businesses are not allowing those who donate to take part of the day off that some need to recover after giving a pint. Unfortunately, too many are just not encouraged by family or friends to give blood so don't get into it. More often you see financial incentives such as gift cards to businesses or contests for donors.

akiss20

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Argh it is stories such as this that makes me so irritated that I can't donate. Every month or so at my university there is a blood drive and I have to walk by without getting to do my part. If I could, I would donate monthly.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

Jetsgo

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:47 pm

I've tried to donate three times in the past year and have been turned away each and every time. My blood pressure is fine but I have an elevated pulse rate which they want nothing to do with. Sucks.  
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Ken777
Topic Author

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:30 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 1):
More people are not working in businesses where blood drives can be conducted.

The Red Cross is at the malls pretty frequently, making it a pretty easy way to donate. Last time I gave a month or so back they were almost to the 40 unit level and closed up for the day after draining me.

Kent350787

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks for this Ken. There is also a drive on here in Australia at the moment, with only 1 in 30 adults regular donors.

You've reminded me I need to send my quatrerly reminder around our organisation. Unfortunately I'm currently excluded due to OS travel (but can still donate plasma) and recent surgery (need doctor's clearnace)

takeorf

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:30 am

At my work we have a blood drive every 56 days. Everyone who donates is able to do it during their work hours and we get 4 hours of vacation leave (8 hours for double red blood cell donation.) We always have a great turn out.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:17 am

One way they can get more donations is to do away with the gay men sex rule due to them being "high risk". Blood is tested for HIV and other pathogens, so why not allow them to donate as well?

I donate about twice a year if conditions permit it. I like donating more with the Red Cross than with a local bank (Red Cross is a more trustworthy name). The last time I donated with them, I gave a double red blood cell donation. Interesting machine, though I couldn't donate for about four months.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DocLightning

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:49 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 7):

One way they can get more donations is to do away with the gay men sex rule due to them being "high risk". Blood is tested for HIV and other pathogens, so why not allow them to donate as well?

Admittedly, that would only increase the supply by ~3%. Nothing to sneeze at, but then again ANY sexual contact with ANY man since 1977 (or is it 1980?) might shrink the pool a bit.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ArmitageShanks

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:57 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
would only increase the supply by ~3%. Nothing to sneeze at, but then again ANY sexual contact with ANY man since 1977 (or is it 1980?) might shrink the pool a bit.

Why not just lie until they change the rules? How would they ever know?

ALTF4

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:29 pm

I'll admit, I've recently become a wimp when it comes to blood. I used to have no problem... and watching movies with plenty of blood is no problem. The Patriot doesn't bother me, nor does watching movies where people are literally blown to bits or where people have bad wounds. Watching videos of "real" injuries, though, like the classic first aid movies of what severing an artery looks like makes me very queasy and light headed. A few years ago when I got stitches, though, I watched the doctor stitch me up and it didn't bother me one bit.

Even just thinking about those first aid videos made me turn white as a sheet and the guy in the cubical next to me at work glanced and me, did a double take, and asked if I was alright.

I guess the only way to get over that is to tackle it head-on. My relatively short and painless discomfort is nothing if it saves somebody else's life...
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Ken777
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Quoting takeorf (Reply 6):
Everyone who donates is able to do it during their work hours and we get 4 hours of vacation leave

That is a brilliant idea. If more companies did that it could make a huge difference.

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 10):
I guess the only way to get over that is to tackle it head-on. My relatively short and painless discomfort is nothing if it saves somebody else's life...

Basically I just don't watch them sticking me. I've have a great vein (that has never been missed) and once it is in and covered I could care less. The only thing I generally forget is to take a book with me to read during the donation.

trav110

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 11):
Basically I just don't watch them sticking me.

That is key, I find the anticipation of being stuck is worse than the actual sensation... Just look away!

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 9):
Why not just lie until they change the rules?

That's what I did when my gym had a blood drive, had no issues.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 11):
Basically I just don't watch them sticking me. I've have a great vein (that has never been missed) and once it is in and covered I could care less. The only thing I generally forget is to take a book with me to read during the donation.

I NEED to see when they stick the needle: it prepares me for what's next. That "look away and it won't hurt as much" is utter BS with me. I find it hurts more when you don't look.

I never had an issue with finding my vein, though one nurse actually missed it (this was for blood test, not donation) and toyed around with the needle until it punctured the vein...needless to say I didn't have a pleasant look on my face.

yfbflyer

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:19 pm

I am disapointed that I cant donate. I used to avoid any blood draws , as a young kid i had a very bad one with an inexperanced technician. Once I got sick and hospitalized a couple years ago i was stuck so many time that i got use to the needles. After that I decided that I wanted to give back but due to my condition now from the illness i can no longer give blood.

DocLightning

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Because I don't believe in lying.

I'm also openly gay. No, not flamboyantly, but someone would probably see me and scratch their head.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Ken777
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:26 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 15):
Because I don't believe in lying.

You are in a unique position to do something else instead. A week at a free clinic for kids every year, or something like that.

My dentist does a week in South America taking care of natives close to very good fishing spots. Has a photo of him and another guy working in a makeshift clinic. And there is a lure hanging off the picture frame.  

There are lots of opportunities to make up for a few units.

ikramerica

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:16 am

Everyone in the blood business profits from blood except for the "donor" and that's part of the problem. It gets processed, tested, sometimes separated into components, frozen, stored, transported, and at each stage, someone takes a cut and makes a profit. It finally gets infused, and the patient pays quite a bit per unit. With transfusion costs at $500 to $1000 or more, the system of relying on "donated" blood is archaic.

If people were paid for their blood, even a token amount of $15, it wouldn't increase the cost of a transfusion much at all even if 50% of the blood can't be used, but would bring in a LOT more blood.

We buy plasma, why don't we buy blood the same way?

And not everyone would need to be paid. Many would still offer to donate it, but now it would be a true donation, and this donation could be tax deductible if the government allowed it to be.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

flyingturtle

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:57 am

I am a blood donor since 1999, and I still fear the prick into the finger (they need a blood sample for the hemoglobin and hematocrit levels, for example). Having a canule thrust into my vein isn't a problem anymore, and I like to watch the nurse push the canule into the crook of my arm... the pain is what bothers me, and it goes away after 1-2 minutes.

If you feel pain, ask the nurse to readjust the canule.

However, it helps to relax, lay your head on the chair as you were sleeping, close your eyes, but clench your fists. But like einsteinboricua said, to each his own method.

I also have problems watching my own blood. (The worst thing was when I once cut into my own heel to, uh, perform a bit of surgery. I nearly passed out.) Seeing other people's blood is less of a problem.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

DocLightning

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:16 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 16):
You are in a unique position to do something else instead. A week at a free clinic for kids every year, or something like that.

I volunteer at the SPCA helping to find homes for homeless dogs.

Interesting ethical quandry. I could volunteer my medical services. On the one hand, nobody else other than a physician is qualified to do so. On the other hand, I'd be working for free in my off time, which is just not...fun.

Somehow, I still manage to look at myself in the mirror.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Ken777
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:20 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 17):
It gets processed, tested, sometimes separated into components, frozen, stored, transported, and at each stage, someone takes a cut and makes a profit.

The people who work at all the various stages need a paycheck, just like everyone else. At multiple stages you actually need qualified individuals doing the work.

I've also noticed that there is a significant change in the collection "kit" used these days. Increased testing needs increased blood collection - and collection containers.

I can pretty well accept the costs that are incurred in collection and processing. What gives me the pits is the hospital's "administrative costs".

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 17):
If people were paid for their blood,

There has long been collection points that pay donors for their blood. Sometimes the donors were not the most desirable and some times they were students or people simply on low incomes. (I'm going back half a century thinking of these blood collection offices. Last time I drove by one a police officer was forcibly removing a "donor".

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:44 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 18):
I am a blood donor since 1999, and I still fear the prick into the finger (they need a blood sample for the hemoglobin and hematocrit levels, for example).

Ah yes. This is what kept me from donating the first three times I went. I got so nervous from the thought of the prick that my heart rate shot up and it seems that it raised my body temperature as well. All three times I was deferred due to having the early stages of a cold. Needless to say that in all cases, I never developed a cold.

I still get nervous, but it's not so bad anymore, but I still apply the principle of "I need to see it and a countdown" to not get SO nervous.

DeltaMD90

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:55 am

I can't donate since I'm a flight student (they're super controlling over our bodies.) I agree with einsteinboricua, I always have to look at any needle going into me. I also despise that finger pricking thing.

I do not fear giving blood but I usually feel very lightheaded during and shortly after it all, very unpleasant.

Kinda stupid, but what are yall's blood types? B POS over here!

GrahamHill

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:07 am

I don't donate, but I should. I just hate so much the needle. Last time I went for a blood test, I could not stand watching the needle going into my skin. And it always leaves me with a huge haematoma.

But one day I'll overcome my fear and I'll donate. I just have to do some psychological prep work.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 22):

I'm O negative.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

flyingturtle

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:19 am

I do not fear giving blood but I usually feel very lightheaded during and shortly after it all, very unpleasant.

My worst experience was donating blood one warm after noon, and three hours later, I went running.

I'm sure I was slower than a obese, 80 years old and asthmatic hiker.

For the first 24-something hours after a donation, I feel lightly handicapped while walking and climbing stairs. Three or four days later, I'm able to run again like before.

0+

(And I'm too lazy to indicate my HLA type now.  )

I've also donated blood plasma and blood platelets. The latter one was always great, because, at the time, it was the transfusion unit at the university hospital carrying out the donations, and now, all kinds of donations are handled by the Red Cross.

The donations at the university hospital were great because you could donate in the two-arm procedure. One canule at the left arm vein, the other one at the right one. And so you had to lie for 1.5 to 2.5 hours, could not bend your arms, but you could watch DVDs. Another plus was that I was always greeted personally, while the Red Cross blood donation center didn't have much time for you. You just were another donor.

The cell separator filtered out about 20% of all blood platelets, and pumped back the rest of your blood. But to avoid the blood clotting in the separator, citric acid is added to the blood. Because citric acid is a chelating agent, it captures magnesium and other ions from the bloodstream. And because your nerves need these ions, after some time you get a tingling feeling on your lips, on your face and later, in your arms.

But this resolved within 20 minutes after donation.  

At the Red Cross blood donation center, I never saw the people that were needing our blood donations. At the university hospital, the receivers occupied the adjacent room, and through the door that was always open we could exchange smiles and greetings.

David

flyingturtle

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:42 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 21):
Ah yes. This is what kept me from donating the first three times I went. I got so nervous from the thought of the prick that my heart rate shot up and it seems that it raised my body temperature as well. All three times I was deferred due to having the early stages of a cold. Needless to say that in all cases, I never developed a cold.

It must have been years since I've last had a thermometer in my mouth before donating blood... but different countries, different procedures.

Here, they ask me about allergies, breathlessness and asthma on the questionnaire. I always indicate that I've had them. And then I have some explaining to do, even when the stuff happened eight years ago and never had an episode since. And their looks when I tell them my allergy is against wing scales of flour moths.

I want to donate in Germany and France once, just to see how they do the procedures.  

A practical joke I once played on the nurse was drinking a coffee before the donation, and bracing my arm muscles while she was measuring blood pressure. 160/110. 

She didn't ask me any questions, and she must have seen through my joke. Shame on me...

David

Ken777
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:46 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 25):
For the first 24-something hours after a donation, I feel lightly handicapped while walking and climbing stairs.

I think that can be reduced some with plenty of fluids before donating.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 25):
At the university hospital, the receivers occupied the adjacent room, and through the door that was always open we could exchange smiles and greetings.

That would be neat to see people you are actually helping. I'm sort of at the other end - seeing my wife having serious issues from the chemo and needing blood to stay alive. Her chemo program lasted 18 months and we therefore had the need for blood hammered into us for a long time.

And we have also seen how much it helps - 5 Years of remission from an acute leukemia (ALL).

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:55 pm

O+ though my mom swore I was A+ and thought it must have been a mistake. I'm eager to see what type my sister is. She again claims she's A+.

flyingturtle

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 28):
O+ though my mom swore I was A+ and thought it must have been a mistake. I'm eager to see what type my sister is. She again claims she's A+.

Or perhaps one of you two is a chimera... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild is an interesting read.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 27):
I think that can be reduced some with plenty of fluids before donating.

Mhh, I remember drinking about 0.65 pints of coke each before and after donating. Perhaps I should ask for more. Thanks for the suggestion.  

It's very great to hear that your wife could survive. Myself only having a hearing disability, the bad luck of other people always makes me feel humble.

David

DocLightning

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:04 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 29):
Mhh, I remember drinking about 0.65 pints of coke each before and after donating. Perhaps I should ask for more. Thanks for the suggestion.

A week later, a random patient getting a plasma transfusion wonders why he feels a buzz.  

A+. I always earn an A+.   
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Ken777
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:26 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 30):
A+. I always earn an A+.

I'm also A+, but by your criteria I should be C+.   

Or I guess I could claim the C from being a Cancer patient - twice.

CrimsonNL

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm O+

I'm a frequent blood donor in the Netherlands. Around here men are allowed do donate 5x 0.5L per year. The questionnaire that precedes the actual donation is quite thorough and every single batch of blood gets tested before it is used.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Kent350787

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:53 pm

B-

I lied about my age to first donate (I was two weeks shy of the then 18 lower limit, in December 1982) and, although I did have a 10 year gap when I wasn't near a donor centre, have been a regualr donor since.

flyingturtle

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:28 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 30):
A week later, a random patient getting a plasma transfusion wonders why he feels a buzz.

The trouble is, Sir, that I once kept leeches.

They all died after the first meal.

Humans, however, have never complained about my donations.

Signed, David

[Edited 2012-07-31 16:31:45]

PHX787

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:50 am

Here's something that I heard from my doc recently:
More people, like me for example, can't give blood because we simply don't have enough. This is especially the case for people who are tall/lanky/skinny.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

AF1624

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 am

I'm AB neg, my blood's basically useless to anyone.
Cheers

Ps76

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:49 am

Hi!

I used to donate blood here in the UK but I stopped when I started taking anti-psychotic medication which I wasn't sure if it would exclude me. Now I've stopped with them but I never went back but maybe I should. But maybe I should do it for altruistic reasons. Before I used to go because I got a strange good feeling from having a needle stuck in me and watching blood drain out! When I stopped I got letters in the mail and phone calls asking me to go back for maybe a year so they must really need it.

Blood donors really do a great service.

Pierre

Ken777
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:55 am

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 36):
Before I used to go because I got a strange good feeling from having a needle stuck in me and watching blood drain out!

Hey, as long as you don't get a woodie around an ugly nurse you should be OK.   

Ps76

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:04 am

Hi!

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 37):
Hey, as long as you don't get a woodie around an ugly nurse you should be OK

When it comes to women I don't discriminate!

P.

[Edited 2012-08-01 21:05:30]

darthluke12694

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:26 am

I've only donated twice (I'm only 18) and they have been through blood drives at my high school and they always have a great turn out (probably because people get to skip class). They always have about 4 Red Cross buses there. I plan to donate more, although during the process of donating blood I have one of the worst feelings I've felt. Both times, in middle of the donating process, I start feeling sick, like I'm going to vomit and pass out. Both times i tell them, they put my feet up, and tell me to cough a couple times, and it usually works until they are done. I think it's something psychological, like I start to get nervous or something, and I start to feel bad. I think if I keep my mind occupied, I'll be fine. It's one of the worst feelings I've felt, but it's worth it if I save a life. Donating blood is a great thing!
KBNA - "To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."

Ken777
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:34 am

Quoting darthluke12694 (Reply 39):
I think it's something psychological, like I start to get nervous or something, and I start to feel bad.

Try boosting fluid intake, starting a day before. most of the time the nurses are pretty good about taking care of you.

Ps76

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:35 am

Hi!

Quoting darthluke12694 (Reply 39):
although during the process of donating blood I have one of the worst feelings I've felt. Both times, in middle of the donating process, I start feeling sick, like I'm going to vomit and pass out.

Here in the UK you don't actually see the blood bag or whatever they're filling up as it's hidden in a box under the trolley your lying on. So you don't really see much blood at all really. But one time when I went for some endocrinology blood tests they took a bunch of blood and began filling up all these fat tubes in front of me. The sight of all my blood started making me feel faint and the guy was like "are you ok?" "you look a little pale?". I made it through though!

Many thanks.

Pierre

darthluke12694

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:06 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 40):
Try boosting fluid intake, starting a day before. most of the time the nurses are pretty good about taking care of you.

Ok I'll try that next time. I'm pretty good about eating a good meal and drinking water the day I donate, but I guess not the day before. But the nurses new what to do and they helped me.

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 41):
Here in the UK you don't actually see the blood bag or whatever they're filling up as it's hidden in a box under the trolley your lying on. So you don't really see much blood at all really. But one time when I went for some endocrinology blood tests they took a bunch of blood and began filling up all these fat tubes in front of me. The sight of all my blood started making me feel faint and the guy was like "are you ok?" "you look a little pale?". I made it through though!

Well you don't see much blood here in the US either, or at least when your donating blood on the bus. I think I'd be a little pale too if I had to watch my blood fill up some tubes!

The second time I donated, I felt sick during the process, but once they got the needle out of me and everything, I felt fine and walked off the bus. I walked into the school like we are supposed to and sit down for a few minutes and get some free food and drinks. The second I walked in the door, some teacher (who was in charge of the room where we had food and was responsible for the students in the room) looked at me and said "oh my gosh you need to sit down" and she gets a couple of students to hold my arms while I walked to a chair. I felt fine though, I guess I just looked pale or something. So then I sit down with a few other students, I get some food and a drink, and then it hit me! I started feeling a little weak, then lightheaded. I probably looked drunk, but I raised my hand, started looking around for the teacher and waved at her and said help. Everything was turning white, and I couldn't really control my body, but I was still conscious. So a couple of students grabbed me before I toally passed out and put on the ground with my feet propped up. I was probably 30 seconds from passing out if no one had helped me. I was so embarrassed after I knew what was going on. But after that I was fine!

I'm surprised that didn't happen to me the first time because I barely qualify to donate since I weigh so little, 120 pounds.
KBNA - "To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."

einsteinboricua

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:44 am

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 35):
I'm AB neg, my blood's basically useless to anyone.

You greedy, selfish punk...(AB- can receive from anyone whose blood type is also negative... AB+, however, is the universal recipient) 

It's interesting to meet people with different blood types. It would also be interesting to see the predominant type of each country/race. Among Latinos, O+ prevails (so I'm a commoner).

Anyone know of anyone whose blood type is not among the basic ABO groups? In my high school I met someone who was Rh-.

flyingturtle

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:55 am

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 36):
But maybe I should do it for altruistic reasons.

There is still a debate raging if there something like true altruism actually exists. If you get a good feeling from your donation - it isn't altruistic anymore. 
Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 43):
It would also be interesting to see the predominant type of each country/race. Among Latinos, O+ prevails (so I'm a commoner).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_t...ABO_and_Rh_distribution_by_country

David

KaiGywer

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:17 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 15):
I'm also openly gay. No, not flamboyantly, but someone would probably see me and scratch their head.

At my part time job I work with a flaming gay guy who donates plasma... I wonder if they actually believe that he has not had sex with a male...

Kinda stupid, but what are yall's blood types?

Red  
Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 24):
My worst experience was donating blood one warm after noon, and three hours later, I went running.

I once fainted a couple of hours after donating plasma. I hadn't eaten all day, then donated plasma and helped a friend move a couch right after.... Not the smartest idea I've ever had...   
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

SmithAir747

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Is 110lb still the minimum weight limit for donation? I weigh 108.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

flyingturtle

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Depends on the country. In Switzerland, it's 50 kgs/110 lbs too.

Perhaps you can ask them to donate a smaller amount of blood. The last time I did it, I happened to donate only 250 ml instead of the usual 425 because it didn't flow right...

David