http://cdn1.spiegel.de/images/image-397120-galleryV9-hhsk.jpg

Revelation

RE: Volkswagen Unveils The 7th Generation Golf

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:55 pm

I must say, VW makes a nice interior!

desertjets

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:06 pm

And it looks like a Golf. I do like the sharper edge they gave it, sort of takes away the memories of the blobby 5th gen model. Though the wheels in the photo look way too big for the car.

SuperCaravelle

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Revolutionary design for sure... Well, can't blame them really, with their sales.

Actually I think the VW interior is very boring (especially as the seats will be black too in most cars) but I guess that's taste.

Aesma

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:33 pm

100Kg lighter is good. For the rest, pretty boring, like usual.

AirPacific747

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Wow it looks nice, but as others have said, a tad boring. But looks like a luxury car now and not for the common people..

RussianJet

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:50 pm

What exactly do we want from the 'boring' interior? Blue and red flashing strobe lights? Be realistic. For the mission the car is designed for the interior looks both functional and elegant. If you want an M5 or a Rolls Royce then don't buy a Golf. As it is, it looks great.

Revelation

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 6):
What exactly do we want from the 'boring' interior?

Actually, I think the interior is well put together, far nicer than the Asian or US cars in its class.

The exterior is kinda lackluster, but, I don't spend as much time looking at the exterior as the interior!

In a few years time, when it's time to consider what to do next, I will look at the Jetta TDI.

Drove one a year or so back, and was quite impressed.

Am hoping my current ride lasts long enough for an electric car to be practical, but I'm not an ideal user for those (long highway drives as opposed to shorter city drives).

wingman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 pm

Looks good to me. Euro designers have long ruled the roost and this example is no different. I only wish we could blend Japanese reliability with these designs. I guess there's Porsche but damed if I have an extra $100,000 stashed in the checking account.

mham001

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:30 am

Nice interior. It will be nice to sit while looking at the check engine light on the side of the road.

zkojq

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:01 am

Already? The sixth generation Golf isn't exactly an oldie, only four years in production.
The exterior looks all-right, not nearly as good as the Alfa Romeo Giulietta or the Volvo V40 though. Its nice to see seats in colours other than grey or black.

Revelation

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:19 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 9):
It will be nice to sit while looking at the check engine light on the side of the road.

I haven't done any research into their reliability since the mid 00's, and it was nothing great back then according to Consumer Reports. How is VW doing as a brand these days?

CXfirst

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:10 am

I like it.

The exterior, although not amazing, is much better than the mark 6 golf in my opinion.

The interior is quality, which is what you want (remember, the golf isn't supposed to be an extravagant luxury car).

The interior actually reminds me quite a bit with Audi interiors, and one must wonder why anyone would need an A3...

-CXfirst

TSS

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:22 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 1):
I must say, VW makes a nice interior!

Indeed. Honda Civic designers, take note: This is what a car's dashboard should look like.

Kiwirob

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:48 am

Quoting SuperCaravelle (Reply 3):
Revolutionary design for sure... Well, can't blame them really, with their sales.

I think you meant to say evolutionary.

Quoting zkojq (Reply 10):
Already? The sixth generation Golf isn't exactly an oldie, only four years in production.

I don't know why they called the 5th gen facelift the 6th generation, because that's all it really was, an extensive facelift.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 12):
and one must wonder why anyone would need an A3...

Which leads to a similar question, why would anyone need a Golf when they could own a Skoda Octavia?

aerorobnz

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:15 am

Quoting racko (Thread starter):
100kg lighter than the predecessor.

The predecessor was apparently 1318kg dry. That would mean 1218kg dry for this, which is light for a current large hot hatch, but still a long way short of necessary. A ton for a small Hatch and 1100kg for a large hatch should be the goal these days, considering they're making such small cc low pressure turbo engines these days....

Braybuddy

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:41 am

Uhhhhhh . . . . 'bout time VW took the plunge and gave the model a radical overhaul lookswise. Totally predictable. Boring and uninspiring.

TSS

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 14):

Which leads to a similar question, why would anyone need a Golf when they could own a Skoda Octavia?

Because a ring on the grille with the letters "V" and "W" cleverly arranged within is worth much more than a ring on the grille with what I can only assume is a green arrow with a mohawk hairdo attached to it, and four interlocked empty rings on the grille is worth much more than the previous two symbols.  

racko
Topic Author

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:29 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 11):
I haven't done any research into their reliability since the mid 00's, and it was nothing great back then according to Consumer Reports. How is VW doing as a brand these days?

Well. http://www.adac.de/sp/presse/_mmm/jp.../Pannenstatistik%202011_124178.JPG

I don't know why they called the 5th gen facelift the 6th generation, because that's all it really was, an extensive facelift.

The Golf V was overengineered and therefore expensive to manufacture. The Golf VI was sort of a stop-gap because financially the V was problematic (too little a margin) and VW realized that it'll take them longer than expected to get the MQB platform ready.

columba

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:57 am

Will be my next car............really like the interior

Kiwirob

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:40 am

Quoting racko (Reply 18):
The Golf V was overengineered and therefore expensive to manufacture.

My wife had a Golf 5, I always prefered that car to the Golf 6. Althought the Touran with the re-engineered components is much better than the originl and first facelifted version.

Aesma

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:45 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 6):
What exactly do we want from the 'boring' interior?

Personally I was mainly talking about the exterior, because that car sells relatively well here, and I don't intend to buy one (if I shelled for a German car it would be a BMW). But I find the interior too dark, and the leather won't help since it's not very popular here, and certainly not in brown.

Revelation

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 21):
Personally I was mainly talking about the exterior, because that car sells relatively well here, and I don't intend to buy one (if I shelled for a German car it would be a BMW). But I find the interior too dark, and the leather won't help since it's not very popular here, and certainly not in brown.

I'm not sure that's a great comparison. When I looked into it a year ago, I could get two Jetta TDIs for the cost of one BMW 335d, which is the only diesel BMW is offering in the US. I think the Golf should be compared to stuff in its class. A quick look online shows I could get 1.5 BMW 1 series for the cost of one Gulf, at least at US prices.

Quoting racko (Reply 18):

Well. http://www.adac.de/sp/presse/_mmm/jp...8.JPG

Thanks!

I find it interesting to see the Gulf has two green plusses going back to 2006 yet the Passat is not meeting that standard.

Aesma

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:54 pm

It was not really a comparison, and I don't like that BMW (and Audi and Mercedes for that matter) don't innovate in their design any more than VW, but a straight 6 rear wheel drive car appeals to me, at least. If I had to buy a comparable car to the golf then I would take a Citroën C4, and for a little more either a Citroën DS4 or an Alfa Giulietta. I see that BMW will now compete in that market too with the new 114d, not 6 cylinders and not gas (as in fact I'm not a diesel guy, living in the country with the most diesel cars per inhabitant) but still rear wheel drive.

AirPacific747

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 23):
I see that BMW will now compete in that market too with the new 114d, not 6 cylinders and not gas (as in fact I'm not a diesel guy, living in the country with the most diesel cars per inhabitant) but still rear wheel drive.

Seems like Mercedes will too.. the new A-class has roughly the same shape as the Golf

mham001

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 11):

In the US, in general, they tend to do well in design and quality, poor in dependability. It's really rather amazing the cars that beat them.

lewis

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:03 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 25):
In the US, in general, they tend to do well in design and quality, poor in dependability. It's really rather amazing the cars that beat them.

I think it has more to do with where most of the US models are built. VW just can't get the same quality control.

Quoting TSS (Reply 17):

Because a ring on the grille with the letters "V" and "W" cleverly arranged within is worth much more than a ring on the grille with what I can only assume is a green arrow with a mohawk hairdo attached to it, and four interlocked empty rings on the grille is worth much more than the previous two symbols.

The Octavia, although very similar, is leaning more on the cheap side. I remember the Octavia from four years ago, the interior could not be compared to the Golf.

majestic477

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:13 pm

By the way this is my first post on anet. Anyway i did not know you had problem with reliability in northamerica as well

lewis

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Quoting majestic477 (Reply 27):

Welcome!

It is a hit or miss in the US market, you can get a perfect reliable car or a car plagued by problems from day one. I have been pretty lucky with VW so far, with only minor defects needing fixing in my previous car. Other people I know have had nothing but problems with their VWs. I had never heard of VWs having issues in Europe, even though I never drove one there.

SuperCaravelle

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:22 pm

I think you meant to say evolutionary.

I did mean to say revolutionary, as I was being sarcastic, but obviously I failed to properly communicate that 

Concerning reliability, at least in the EU VW has had a lot of problems with their new generation TSI (Twincharged Stratified Injection, had to look that up, but it's basically a motor with both a turbocharger and a compressor) motor. The distribution chain especially was problematic, and they are in fact moving back to a conventional distribution belt for this new generation. I don't think they sell this kind of motors in the US, it are only small blocks (1.2L to 2.0L), which provide (just enough) power to get moving, thanks to the turbo and compressor, while being relatively fuel efficient.

AM744

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 13):
Indeed. Honda Civic designers, take note: This is what a car's dashboard should look like.

I got myself a VW recently and the dashboard was part of the equation. No silly, tacky or supposedly flashy dashboards for me, thanks. In fact I could do away with the truncated cones that frame the tachometer and speed indicator.

kaneporta1

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:44 pm

I've owned a 2009 rabbit and now a 2012 Golf TDI and have had absolutely no issue with either car.

The mk7 looks ok, not much different to the mk6 really. I wonder if the North American market will get something better than the ridiculous 2.5 engine this time.

I don't like the electric parking brake. I need a handbrake that I can use to take my turns more sharply when it's icy...

TransIsland

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 am

Not bad, nothing special, a Golf. To be honest, I can barely tell the difference between 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th generations. However, after reading so much about Golfs, I now have a silly urge to find myself a 2nd generation one somewhere... I loved that 1987 Golf I drove all over Europe. 54 horsepowers across the Alps - there were moments I thought that I'd start rolling backwards any moment.   

stasisLAX

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:56 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 4):
100Kg lighter is good. For the rest, pretty boring, like usual.

The interior looks very nice - much better than the decontented (cheap) interior of the American Jetta!

Revelation

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 23):
It was not really a comparison, and I don't like that BMW (and Audi and Mercedes for that matter) don't innovate in their design any more than VW, but a straight 6 rear wheel drive car appeals to me, at least. If I had to buy a comparable car to the golf then I would take a Citroën C4, and for a little more either a Citroën DS4 or an Alfa Giulietta.

I see your points, but I do think it's worth commending VW for putting a very nice interior into this class of car. It looks far better than the "boom box" interiors I've seen in a few other Asian cars in its class.

I'm also a big fan of 6 cyl naturally aspirated rear wheel drive cars. My current ride is a 2006 BMW 330i. I'm hoping it lasts a very long time, and have no idea which way I'll go when time comes to replace it. The Infiniti G series was a 6 cyl naturally aspirated rear wheel drive car last time I looked, but the interior wasn't up to the standards set by the German cars.

Gingersnap

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 28):
I had never heard of VWs having issues in Europe, even though I never drove one there.

From what I can tell, they are regarded at some of the most reliable cars in Europe. The only thing I've ever seen go wrong with a VW is the automatic windows.

B777LRF

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Generally speaking VW's are very reliable indeed, but their latest generation of engines are having certain "issues" ..

The VW 1.4 Turbo/Compressor will die on you at around 100.000 km. The 2.0TDi is likely to blow its gasket at around 80K. The 3.2 V6 will need camshafts replaced at around 100K.

Kiwirob

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 32):
I can barely tell the difference between 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th generations.

I suggest you get your eyesight checked, from 4 to 5 the difference was pretty big, 5 to 6 not a lot but still many ques as to which is which, 6 to 7 is pretty significant.

IH8BY

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Quoting gingersnap (Reply 35):
From what I can tell, they are regarded at some of the most reliable cars in Europe. The only thing I've ever seen go wrong with a VW is the automatic windows.

...though how much of this is based on perception is open to debate. VW interiors and the conservative exterior design impart a sense of perceived quality, but I've seen a few surveys (most recently the What Car reliability survey) that don't rate VW as highly as its reputation suggests.

However the Golf is a well-designed, comfortable car and deservedly popular, with an almost unique cross-demographic appeal. It'll sell well because it's a Golf, and as long as it lives up to people's expectations it surely can't fail.

Braybuddy

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:42 am

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 38):
VW interiors and the conservative exterior design impart a sense of perceived quality, but I've seen a few surveys (most recently the What Car reliability survey) that don't rate VW as highly as its reputation suggests.

I went through three Mk 3 Golfs in the '90s and found them a good car, but the first one had a loss-of-power problem, which required a recall across the fleet at the time. Other than that I found them a good, reliable car. I moved elsewhere after the third car, but am back with VW now (in the shape of a Scirocco this time), which again is a nice, well built car (an much nicer looking!). But there is one thing that bugs me: why on earth do VW put the reverse gear right next to first? Even after a year I'm very lucky that I haven't managed to do any damage to the car or another vehicle, or -- heaven forbid -- person.

Can someone more knowledgeable about cars please explain the logic here?

flipdewaf

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:32 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 39):
Can someone more knowledgeable about cars please explain the logic here?

Where do you suggest? you have to press the knob down to get it into reverse so its not like you'll push it too far accross and get reverse by accident.

Fred

racko
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:31 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 25):

Is there actually anybody doing proper reliability analysis in the US? The ADAC statistics are actual breakdowns, not customer questionnaires.

The US has had not one, but two "scandals" where customers were claiming that their cars are accelerating on their own that killed a foreign manufacturer's reputation even though in the end it turned out it was just people being too stupid to drive.

Braybuddy

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 40):
Where do you suggest? you have to press the knob down to get it into reverse so its not like you'll push it too far accross and get reverse by accident

If this is the case it's not at all noticeable -- to me anyway. I just did it again an hour ago on my way home from work when pulling out at a junction. I'll check the next time I take it out.

One of my work colleagues drives an Audi and has the same complaint, which surely indicates a problem..

mham001

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 41):
Is there actually anybody doing proper reliability analysis in the US? The ADAC statistics are actual breakdowns, not customer questionnaires.

isn't there much more to reliability than just broken down roadside?

Flighty

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 41):
The US has had not one, but two "scandals" where customers were claiming that their cars are accelerating on their own that killed a foreign manufacturer's reputation even though in the end it turned out it was just people being too stupid to drive.

Yeah those "scandals" killed maybe 1, 2 people maximum. Meanwhile, red meat killed 100,000s of people, likely including cardiac events while driving...

With that said, certain VW and Volvo and Land Rover products have had poor electrical systems engineering. Likely that is no longer true as of 2013. But, it was once true. Volvo 5 cylinder motors burn out *multiple* elements of their electronic throttle control system. I mean, that's basic powertrain engineering. Certain things like that should never happen.

I remember once in an Audi A6 2.7T we were driving along. Then, suddenly 0 RPM. All the electronics went wild. We coasted to a stop. 5 minutes later the car restarted as if nothing had happened. If that happened in a tunnel, we could have become a major road hazard. All in all, it was still a very solid car, though.

It is hard to judge these things. But anecdotes that come out of production defects tend to have been reproduced thousands of times. Just ask a dealer.

EddieDude

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:11 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 33):
The interior looks very nice - much better than the decontented (cheap) interior of the American Jetta!

You are right. Interesting tidbit: all Jettas have the same interior all over the world. However, the Jetta GLI in the Americas and all European Jettas have higher quality materials. I think it is the same with the suspension. Non-GLI Jettas in the Americas have a torsion beam axle, whereas GLIs and European Jettas have independent rear suspension.

Back on the subject of the Golf 7, I think it is really nice inside, especially in that high-spec trim level with the saddle brown leather seats.

HAWK21M

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:34 am

Looks like the VW polo out here......

Aesma

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:00 am

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 40):
Where do you suggest?

Well I guess with 6 gears it's what you get. On some Renaults you have to grab a ring and pull it then go like for the 1st gear to have reverse. Never liked that either.

lewis

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 45):
However, the Jetta GLI in the Americas and all European Jettas have higher quality materials.

The Jetta GLI in the US still has some awful plastics in the cabin, especially the door panels. They also took away the height-adjustable central armrest that all Jettas used to have. Stupid move, hence the 2013 GLI will have better plastics and the armrest back. Pitty they had to cheapen the 2012 model.