Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pawsleykat
Topic Author

US Citizen Re-entering USA On A Foreign Passport

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Hey all!

I'm looking for some advice here, I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the internet and I know a.net is a fountain of all knowledge  

So basically, I have this friend in Atlanta, GA who wants to come to the UK this weekend with me to visit my mom and come to my friend's 21st birthday party. He's Mexican by birth, but holds US Citizenship. He just doesn't have his US passport yet.

My question is, that if he leaves the US on Thursday, will he be able to come back in on his Mexican Passport and his citizenship letter.

The Mexican passport in question still has over a years' validity.

Many thanks in advance

JLC  
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

ScarletHarlot

RE: US Citizen Re-entering USA On A Foreign Passport

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:21 pm

The USA does not recognize citizenship other than US. If you are a US citizen you are supposed to enter the US with your American passport, so the INS may not accept his Mexican passport as ID and might give him a hard time. I wouldn't recommend that he do so until he has his US passport. It is always best to avoid conflict with the INS (or whatever they're called now).
But that was when I ruled the world

LAXintl

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:25 pm

By law a US citizen must enter the US on the US passport.

From the state department --
U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Imo shame on your friend for not getting a US passport in timely manner. Might want to see depending on what city if he lives in if the passport agency can issue a emergency passport for him (here in LA they do it in 24-hours).
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

pawsleykat
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Dang! Not the answer I was looking for.

However, to further add. When he was 'just' a permenant resident, he left the US to travel Europe twice. Latest trip was 5/2/11-5/19/11, he had no issue coming back in on said passport then. Does that make any difference?

I personally can't get my head around the difference between Permenant Resident and Citizen when it comes to going on Vacation and stuff

JLC  
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

pawsleykat
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:31 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
Imo shame on your friend for not getting a US passport in timely manner.

He's only recently become a citizen of the US. A) There have been circumstances that were slightly more important than getting a US passport when his Mexican one still has validity, B) we weren't sure if he needed one or not and C) it didn't seem that important and we only decided last week when I was in ATL that he might be coming with me to the UK. The joys of airline staff travel.

Might want to see depending on what city if he lives in if the passport agency can issue a emergency passport for him (here in LA they do it in 24-hours).

I know he can get an emergency one in 24 hours down in Atlanta, it's just a case of the cost.

JLC  

RussianJet

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:08 pm

If he can get an emergency passport then he should. Cost is no excuse there really. He chose US citizenship and if there are rules to play by then he should do exactly that.

[Edited 2012-09-11 13:05:43]
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Aesma

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:17 pm

A friend of mine (with a very French name and surname) just got grief at the Brazilian border when he entered with his French passport : when they saw his birth place as Aracaju, they asked for his Brazilian papers. He had his Brazilian passport but it was out of validity, in the end they let him go.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Maverick623

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Tell him to bring his Mexican passport and citizenship letter if he can't get an emergency US passport. He'll get hassled, and the officers will make a call to Washington to verify his citizenship, but he will be allowed in. By law, the US cannot refuse entry to a citizen.

I've had to deal with this before (a cousin of mine, a US/UK dual citizen, tried to come into the US with her British passport).

But, it should be no issues to go to the US embassy and get a passport.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

LAXintl

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Quoting pawsleykat (Reply 3):
When he was 'just' a permenant resident, he left the US to travel Europe twice. Latest trip was 5/2/11-5/19/11, he had no issue coming back in on said passport then. Does that make any difference?

Last year he was a mere green card holder and of course he only had his Mexican passport.
Today he is a US citizen, and with it comes the requirement to hold a US passport for foreign travel in and out of the US.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 5):

If he can get an emergency passport then he should. Cost is no excuse there really. He chose US citizenship and if there are rules to play by then he do exactly that.

directorguy

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:41 pm

What's to guarantee that the airline he's flying on will let him board a US-bound flight with no visa but a citizenship letter/certificate?

flanker

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Dang! Not the answer I was looking for.

However, to further add. When he was 'just' a permenant resident, he left the US to travel Europe twice. Latest trip was 5/2/11-5/19/11, he had no issue coming back in on said passport then. Does that make any difference?

I personally can't get my head around the difference between Permenant Resident and Citizen when it comes to going on Vacation and stuff

Citizen = Passport
Permanent Resident = Green Card (until you become citizen)

If he is a permanent resident he has to come in with his USA GREEN CARD and passport from his country of birth.

If he is a US Citizen he has to come in with a USA passport.

flanker

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Quoting directorguy (Reply 9):
What's to guarantee that the airline he's flying on will let him board a US-bound flight with no visa but a citizenship letter/certificate?

It is the United States Customs officer that will not let him come into the country if he doesn't have papers, let alone a "visa".

[Edited 2012-09-11 13:40:55]

pawsleykat
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:46 pm

So basically he can come back in with citizenship papers and his Mexican passport but he'll get hassled by CBP?

I've spoken to him and he's going to see about getting his emergency Passport tomorrow.

Thanks for your responses folks! Much appreciated

JLC  

lewis

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 11):
It is the United States Customs officer that will not let him come into the country if he doesn't have papers, let alone a "visa".

I have always had my visa checked when checking in for a US bound itinerary. I know they always ask for ESTA too. I don't know what happens if the paperwork is not in order but can the airline refuse travel before the passenger ever reaches the US?

AirframeAS

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 7):
By law, the US cannot refuse entry to a citizen.

Can you explain this in depth a bit more?

It just seems like if a person was trying to enter the U.S. and was not allowed to enter because of legal problems ( deported before, etc), then your statement is half correct.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

RussianJet

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 13):

I have always had my visa checked when checking in for a US bound itinerary. I know they always ask for ESTA too. I don't know what happens if the paperwork is not in order but can the airline refuse travel before the passenger ever reaches the US?

Of course. Carriers regularly deny travel to those presenting at the airport for travel without all necessary documents or authorities for entry at the destination. There are generally stiff penalties for airlines who carry people found to be without visas, valid passports etc. on arrival.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

StarAC17

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 pm

But, it should be no issues to go to the US embassy and get a passport.

It can be done to get a passport abroad but to do it you usually have to get a guarantor in the country applying which you have to know for a few years. (That is Canada but I would assume it would be similar). When living in Australia I was going to renew it down there to spare the hassle but they said it would have to be a new application where as in Canada it was a renewal and I paid the fee

You may be able to get a one time passport issued but consular services does that IIRC if you had a passport lost or stolen, because this is a new application he probably has to apply like it was a new one. Again the US may be different regarding this.

Quoting flanker (Reply 11):
Quoting directorguy (Reply 9):

You can't board the plane in that case.

I would assume on the granting of a citizenship the US would cancel all visas on that person's foreign passport. So if he/she went to check in they would see that he had no right to enter the US and refuse boarding in order not to be liable to send the person back to where they came from. Showing the citizenship letter should waive this but it will be a hassle in both cases.

Does this person have their citizenship card yet because they should admit you based on that??
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

ScarletHarlot

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 pm

As someone said above - that is a totally different situation, having nothing to do with each other. A permanent resident is not a citizen of the US and their non-US citizenship is recognized by the US. Once US citizenship is obtained, their other citizenship is no longer recognized. (I am a Canadian citizen, US permanent resident.)

The emergency passport is the way to go.

Quoting pawsleykat (Reply 12):
So basically he can come back in with citizenship papers and his Mexican passport but he'll get hassled by CBP?

The INS / CBP has the power to make your life truly miserable. They can, for example, kick me permanently out of the US with no way to appeal, even though I am a green card holder and have been here for 17 years. I play by their rules at all times.
But that was when I ruled the world

DocLightning

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Imo shame on your friend for not getting a US passport in timely manner. Might want to see depending on what city if he lives in if the passport agency can issue a emergency passport for him (here in LA they do it in 24-hours).

You know that there is a huge backup in issuing passports, yes? Took four months for my last one.

They can't, but they sure can make it a huge pain in the butt not worth taking a trip.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Rara

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 14):

Can you explain this in depth a bit more?

It just seems like if a person was trying to enter the U.S. and was not allowed to enter because of legal problems ( deported before, etc), then your statement is half correct.

I'm sure he meant "US citizen". As long as you're American, papers or not, you can enter the country. Of course you can face all sorts of trouble once you're in, but they can't refuse you.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

LAXintl

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:09 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
You know that there is a huge backup in issuing passports, yes? Took four months for my last one.

Those are for regular applications.

You can get expedited passport handling in about 5 days, and emergency passport over night

It just cost more, and a few more hoops to jump through including going in person to the Passport Agency.

KaiGywer

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 16):
It can be done to get a passport abroad but to do it you usually have to get a guarantor in the country applying which you have to know for a few years. (That is Canada but I would assume it would be similar). When living in Australia I was going to renew it down there to spare the hassle but they said it would have to be a new application where as in Canada it was a renewal and I paid the fee

Must depend on the country. I am a Norwegian citizen living in the US (Green card). I renewed my Norwegian passport in 2010 and it was no different doing it a consulate in SFO versus doing it in Norway. My passport states SFO Consulate (not literally...) under issuing authority.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 16):
Does this person have their citizenship card yet because they should admit you based on that??

No such thing. When you become a citizen you get a naturalization paper. This allows you to apply for a US passport.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

StarAC17

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:50 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 21):
Must depend on the country. I am a Norwegian citizen living in the US (Green card). I renewed my Norwegian passport in 2010 and it was no different doing it a consulate in SFO versus doing it in Norway. My passport states SFO Consulate (not literally...) under issuing authority.

It the same thing for Canada but you would need a guarantor in the country you are living in to (a professional that has known you for 2 years) get a passport overseas as its treated as a new application. I reckon you were in the US for that amount of time to get that info easily.

In Canada you can get an easy renewal if you passport has been expired less than a year.

Countries do differ I guess.

Aeroflot777

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:44 am

A little off topic, but this is the online marketing geek inside me. Gotta' love contextual targeting capabilities in advertising:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/possokhov/ScreenShot2012-09-11at104128PM.png

Aeroflot777

Arrow

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:32 pm

My wife was born in the US but has been a Canadian resident for 43 years and a Canadian citizen for 38 years. But every time she crosses the border into the US, they ask her about her status, because on her Canadian passport it says she was born in the US. The last guy told her she would have to get a US passport for future crossings.

She's never had a US passport, doesn't want a US passport, and believes she ditched her US citizenship in 1974 when she became a Canadian (at that time, those were the rules). But to avoid the hassles, she's now had to make two trips to the US consulate to apply for a CLN -- Certificate of Lost Nationality. It was all approved more than a month ago -- but they told her it would likely be a year before she gets the piece of paper. Why? Because there is a global stampede of people like my wife seeking to either renounce their existing US citizenship or -- as in her case --get official confirmation of the fact that she did it nearly 40 years ago. It's a mess, and it's all because the IRS has suddenly decided to make life miserable for the approximately 7 million US expats living all over the world. Watch for this to get worse -- they have no intention of backing down.

Until she gets that CLN, there will be no more trips to the US -- the risk of major hassles at the border is just too great --- those guys have unbelievable powers of detention.

My advice to pawsleykat's Mexican friend -- don't leave the country until you've got a valid US passport. Sure, they'll eventually let you in with proof of citizenship, but you might be in the hoosegow for as week while they think about it.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

AM744

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Would it be illegal for him to enter with his Mexican passport and green card provided both are valid?

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:46 am

I'm overseas now, on a passport I applied for renewal of this past Monday (it's Saturday morning here now). It cost $60 to hurry it up, but it certainly can be done.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

StarAC17

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:25 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 24):
But every time she crosses the border into the US, they ask her about her status, because on her Canadian passport it says she was born in the US.

Must be unique to the US because my parents are Canadian citizens born in Jamaica and have gone back many times and their passports say "Born in Kingston, JM" and get no grief at all.

Can't your wife say I am not longer an American and they should be able to verify that , she has no US passport to use.

LAXintl

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 25):
Would it be illegal for him to enter with his Mexican passport and green card provided both are valid?

He does not have a green card any longer ! Once he became a US citizen, the green card disappeared (taken away).

Arrow

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:11 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 27):
Must be unique to the US because my parents are Canadian citizens born in Jamaica and have gone back many times and their passports say "Born in Kingston, JM" and get no grief at all.

Can't your wife say I am not longer an American and they should be able to verify that , she has no US passport to use.

It is unique to the US. And the US is the only country that assesses income tax based on citizenship rather than residence.

She's tried that -- but you can't prove a negative. That's why she needs the CLN. We've heard a few chilling stories from others -- one guy was told by the border guard "you're an American until we say you're not an American." Another woman was told to get a US passport -- and sadly she did. Now she is an American again (after 40-odd years as a Canadian) and has to "renounce" to keep the IRS off her back. She now knows she made a big mistake -- but she thought she had to do what she was told.

Aesma

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 27):

As I said earlier Brazil does the same. In fact they also asked my friend his status relative to military obligations, since Brazil still has a 12 months long military service.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Type-Rated

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:28 pm

I think you can just go to a local passport office (if your city has one) and pay a mega buck fee and you'll have your US passport within hours. This would solve all problems.

A friend of mine who never really traveled before was set to go on company business to Japan. On the morning of departure his boss asked him "you DO have your passport, don't you?". The traveling guy said "Nope, do I need one?". Well the company sent him to the passport office with a letter and within 4 hours he had his US Passport in hand.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

LAXintl

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 29):
It is unique to the US.

Hardly.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 30):
As I said earlier Brazil does the same. In fact they also asked my friend his status relative to military obligations, since Brazil still has a 12 months long military service.

. Got a friend that was born overseas but only spent 6-months in the country of his birth.
To this day - 40 years later he is still on the hook to them including military service. An no, he cant get out of the citizenship without being in good standing which includes completing the military obligation.

Arrow

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 32):
Hardly.

You have a point about citizenship -- but the US is one of two countries in the world that taxes based on citizenship (I'll let you guess what the other one is -- it ain't pretty) and that is now causing untold grief for about 7 million expats all over the world. It is very complicated, but spend some time on the ACA (American Citizens Abroad) or the Isaac Brock Society website and you'll get a good understanding of what is now happening to all those expats, it's outrageous -- and no other country treats its expats like that!.

bjorn14

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:25 pm

personally can't get my head around the difference between Permenant Resident and Citizen when it comes to going on Vacation and stuff

Technically, a green card holder is not to leave the US within their two-year probationary period.

Quoting AM744 (Reply 25):

Yes.

Quoting type-rated (Reply 31):
I think you can just go to a local passport office (if your city has one) and pay a mega buck fee and you'll have your US passport within hours. This would solve all problems.

Yep. Both my sister and I got passports the same day from Passport offices.

Quoting Arrow (Reply 33):
(I'll let you guess what the other one is

Eritrea but they only tax 2% that goes into a infrastructure fund to rebuild the country after the war. US taxes you at the full rate after the first $92K.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Maverick623

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:52 am

Took my dad one week (last year), and he's never had one before. Something else held yours up, wait times aren't it.

Aeroflot777

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:09 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 35):
Took my dad one week (last year), and he's never had one before. Something else held yours up, wait times aren't it.

Last year, processing centers were backed up most of the year.

If it took your dad one week, he definitely had it expedited. It took me about 3 months to get mine back in April 2011 - that's with no issues.

This year, they are handling better. Current services are 4-6 weeks:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html

Aeroflot777

Viscount724

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 33):
but the US is one of two countries in the world that taxes based on citizenship (I'll let you guess what the other one is -- it ain't pretty)

What's the other one?

Arrow

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:56 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 37):
What's the other one?

Eritrea. And here's the real laugher -- the UN passed a resolution last year condemning Eritrea for imposing its "diaspora" tax on citizens no longer resident in the country. Guess who co-sponsored the resolution -- the US.

Maverick623

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 36):
If it took your dad one week, he definitely had it expedited.

Nope. Him and my mother both got passports (my mom has had one before, but it had expired). My dad's came in 8 days after they sent the applications in, my mom's took 11 days. No expedited service (they had 3 months before they were leaving).

incitatus

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Of course the immigration officer will let him in with his Mexican passport. After all he is a US citizen. There is only one caveat: He is exposing himself to a huge fine - so the correct advice on this is NEVER DO IT. I've had a Spanish friend do this and they said the fine is up to $10k but let her in for $500.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

AirframeAS

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Quoting pawsleykat (Thread starter):

So, tell us.... What were the results of your friends trip?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

KaiGywer

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 22):
It the same thing for Canada but you would need a guarantor in the country you are living in to (a professional that has known you for 2 years) get a passport overseas as its treated as a new application. I reckon you were in the US for that amount of time to get that info easily.

No such thing needed for me. Maybe it's different if you are here on a visa of some kind. As a green card holder I just needed to show my green card along with my old passport when applying.

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 34):
Technically, a green card holder is not to leave the US within their two-year probationary period.
Permanent residents are free to travel outside the United States, and temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status. If it is determined, however, that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, you will be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status. A general guide used is whether you have been absent from the United States for more than a year.

http://www.uscis.gov/vgn-ext-templat...4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

StarAC17

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:27 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 42):
No such thing needed for me. Maybe it's different if you are here on a visa of some kind. As a green card holder I just needed to show my green card along with my old passport when applying.

That is standard for a new Canadian passport application you have to have a professional like you doctor sign the application and there has to be people whom are character references for you. The guarantor has to be in the jurisdiction you are applying for the new passport in, since you are a green card holder you have been in the US for a long enough time to have this available to you.

Also this is the application process I am familiar with.

Canada has a simple renew process that can only be done in Canada.

I would like to know the different processes in different countries.

KaiGywer

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:46 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 43):
I would like to know the different processes in different countries.

For Norway you have two choices. Go to your home municipality police station in Norway and apply, or go to either the Embassy or a Consulate in your country of permanent residency. Either way, it is printed in Norway and mailed to you. In my case, I applied in SFO electronically on a kiosk that took my biometrics. It was then printed in Norway, mailed to the consulate and they mailed it to me along with my old, now invalidated, passport. Took a week...very impressive  

StarAC17

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:24 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 44):
For Norway you have two choices. Go to your home municipality police station in Norway and apply, or go to either the Embassy or a Consulate in your country of permanent residency. Either way, it is printed in Norway and mailed to you. In my case, I applied in SFO electronically on a kiosk that took my biometrics. It was then printed in Norway, mailed to the consulate and they mailed it to me along with my old, now invalidated, passport. Took a week...very impressive  

Any need for a guarantor or character references that the passport office can contact to confirm that they know you and can confirm you are of good character.

KaiGywer

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:32 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 45):
Any need for a guarantor or character references that the passport office can contact to confirm that they know you and can confirm you are of good character.

Nope

Aesma

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 am

What does that even mean ? If you have the nationality/citizenship, then you get to have the passport, your character has nothing to do with it. And it makes even less sense if you're in a foreign country, because without passport you will not be able to leave.

StarAC17

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 47):
What does that even mean ? If you have the nationality/citizenship, then you get to have the passport, your character has nothing to do with it.

For a new passport application you have to have a professional (lawyer, doctor, etc) certify the photos who has known you for 2 or more years. Along with that you have to list 2 people who you have known for a reasonable amount of time who are not family members whom the passport office will contact if they choose to, what they ask I'm not sure.

It may not be about your character but they are commonly cited as "Character References". If they say negative things about you or lie about your age by say 10 years it a red flag. It probably doesn't mean that you passport application is denied they have to do more digging) but I assume governments can and do deny their citizens passports because having one basically means your government has deemed you acceptable to travel.

Arrow

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 48):
For a new passport application you have to have a professional (lawyer, doctor, etc) certify the photos who has known you for 2 or more years. Along with that you have to list 2 people who you have known for a reasonable amount of time who are not family members whom the passport office will contact if they choose to, what they ask I'm not sure.

All this stuff has more to do with national paranoia over who has a Canadian passport. It wasn't that long ago that a Canadian passport was relatively easy to get, or fake. Polls taken in the US consistently show that a huge proportion of Americans (nearly 50%) still think that the 9/11 terrorists got into the US through Canada -- never mind that in fact none of them did. One of the high-priority chores the Canadian Ambassador has in Washington is to put out those fires every time someone in a high place trots out the accusation -- and yes, it still happens. Hilary Clinton did it in the aftermath of 9/11 and has never retracted it or apologized for it.

Try to imagine the reaction in the US if the next terrorist captured/killed has a Canadian passport.