Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

compensateme

RE: Starting Out On My Own Is Harder Than I Thought.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 48):
Wait until you have a wife, 3 kids, a mortgage, car repayments and all the crap that goes with a family then come back to me, starting out on your own is a piece of cake.

Except that many people involuntarily start out young, often with limited or no assistance from their family. Getting married, having children, purchasing houses, etc. are all voluntary decisions that should be held off until one's situation is stable & ready.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

klm672
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks again for all the replies. To clarify, I don't buy all the fancy TP, or want go for name brand items and then write here on A.net and wonder why I can't pay my bills. I go for generic items and don't buy items I don't need. The first thing to go is my car. It would be very hard to use public transportation to where I currently work, but I plan on trading in my car for a less expensive car. Honestly, I bought this car thinking I would be driving it 100 miles round trip, but then it went down to ~20 and I found a few, nice, used cars that I really like. Secondly, I am looking to get out of my lease. I don't see anything specific on my lease agreement if a tenant would break their lease early, but just because its not specified on the lease, doesn't mean there are terms, right?

Tugger

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:02 am

Quoting klm672 (Reply 51):
Secondly, I am looking to get out of my lease. I don't see anything specific on my lease agreement if a tenant would break their lease early, but just because its not specified on the lease, doesn't mean there are terms, right?

Basically you are responsible for the term of the lease, however if the landlord is able/willing to lease it out quickly then you would not be liable for the remainder. I would recommend that you talk with your landlord and if he is OK with it YOU put ads in the local paper/website and help get it re-let. And then you will be fine once that landlord accepts the new renters signature of that doc.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Fabo

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:12 am

When I was looking for a place, lease would normally be made for either a year, 10 months (academic year, basically), or indefinitely.

As regards to cancelling early, most landlords requested written notice in the month before the final one, e.g. if I wrote my notice now, I would have the lease going until 31/12.
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

intsim

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:10 am

Quoting klm672 (Reply 51):
I don't see anything specific on my lease agreement if a tenant would break their lease early, but just because its not specified on the lease, doesn't mean there are terms, right?

Be very careful with this. Go through your lease with a fine tooth comb. I do maintenance for a very good and understanding landlord (provided you are open and honest). I have rented from some very good landlords over the years. I have also had an oddball with a bad reputation. The last thing a landlord wants is to be out money. Even if you cannot fulfill your lease over the duration it is adviseable to keep your landlord in the loop. They may be able to get the place rented and be more forgiving to you getting out of your lease early.

As someone who has had their share of pitfalls in life be aware of the unknown. If you are this stressed already then you are at your max. I have been rear ended twice now. I have a fused neck and constant pain. Take it from me, being at your max and having events like this really push your limits in all facets of life. You need to maintain a good, positive, I can do this attitude when you are going through this. It will help you when life really gets tough.

I may be wrong but it sounds like the stress and anxiety over your challenges are adding to your sleep disorder. Start thinking of things you are thankful for because it can always be worse. I know working day in day out is tough but as someone said, where will you be in ten years if you don't put in the effort now? I have worked for months straight as a lot of people across many industries have. The positive changes with your finances and life you are making now will benefit you later. I know it is hard but only you can make a difference.

I wish you the best of luck. I have been there, still there in some respects. The more you can deal with now the easier the bigger challenges become. Still things get hard but you will have more experience to approach your issues and overcome them.

Jeff

DeltaMD90

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:40 am

Good luck... I see no reason for your landlord to release you from your lease. I know you mentioned he's a nice, understanding guy, but at the end of the day, he needs to make a living---of rent. It may be better to find someone to take your lease, or just enjoy the extra space you have now. Don't know the terms of your lease, but barring any kind of crazy actions, you're probably stuck with your lease. Try your best to get a cheaper one, but no matter what, learn from it... at least at this point in your life, you can't afford a semi-big house by yourself

Good luck

klm672
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:51 am

Thank you Jeff and DeltaMD90 for all your wisdom and support!