Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA7295
Topic Author

Microsoft Customer Service = Demise Of MS?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:17 am

RANT WARNING!

So today in Australia, Microsoft Windows 8 has just launched.

For those that know, there is a promotional offer that allows you upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for USD$39.99 (or currency equivalent) if you are already have Win 7, Vista or XP.

Now I'm not sure about you lot, but I prefer to completely format my PC before installing a new operating system. I have spent the better part of an hour, calling Microsoft Australia, and Microsoft USA to verify whether I can clean install with Windows 8 and provide my Windows 7 product key to prove upgrade eligibility. This is the bad part... NO ONE AT CUSTOMER SERVICE CAN PROVIDE ME AN ANSWER!! Some say the USD$39.99 version is the FULL VERSION not an upgrade, some say I can clean install with an upgrade license. There is no clear answer! To top it off, I cannot find the number for Microsoft Head Office Australia to speak to someone in Australia to get clear what the situation is.

Now I'm just like wow... maybe this is a sign that I should switch to Mac OS X. I mean I have used Mac OS X and find it very unuseable compared to Windows, but with my interactions with Apple's US-based support team regarding my iPhone.... THEY GET WHAT I AM ASKING FOR!! I can call once and I will be heard, and if there is a solution or an answer it will be provided.

Now I have an answer from someone in India or the Phillipines, but I'm not confident that this is the right one. So I'm styck with, format and risk not being able to upgrade to Windows 8, stick with Windows 7, or completely ditch Microsoft and go to Mac OS X. I guess my point is, that I am prepared to switch over poor MS customer service!

Awful!

Airstud

RE: Microsoft Customer Service = Demise Of MS?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:33 am

The Mac OS isn't unusable; it's just different from what you're used to. Show a bit of patience with your own learning curve and you will be satisfied with the Mac in a couple of weeks... and utterly delighted with it weeks later and thenceforth.
Pancakes are delicious.

aloges

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:45 am

MS rules the corporate world, so I'm not surprised that individual private customers continue to suffer.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 1):
The Mac OS isn't unusable; it's just different from what you're used to. Show a bit of patience with your own learning curve and you will be satisfied with the Mac in a couple of weeks... and utterly delighted with it weeks later and thenceforth.

I had to "rewire" my brain when I switched to a Mac almost four years ago. Today, the same Mac is running Mountain Lion beautifully and I'm still wondering whether or not I'll ever start missing Windows. OS X isn't perfect, but it suits me much, much better than Windows used to do - your mileage may vary, obviously, but unusable it isn't.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

CXB77L

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:23 am

Quoting AA7295 (Thread starter):
So I'm styck with, format and risk not being able to upgrade to Windows 8, stick with Windows 7, or completely ditch Microsoft and go to Mac OS X. I guess my point is, that I am prepared to switch over poor MS customer service!

Stick with Win7.

I can't stand Win8. Personally, I find it extremely difficult to use unless you are familiar with touch screen PCs, or you're buying a touch screen PC. Using it with a mouse and keyboard is just frustratingly unintuitive.

If I ever get a touch screen PC, I'll get Win8. Until then, I'll stick with Win7. I don't see the point in upgrading.
Boeing 777 fanboy

Aesma

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:27 pm

I have downloaded Win8 for weeks (I have access to free licenses) but not installed it yet, I hate the new look and interface, so I know I'll have to tweak it to the death (in fact I already had to tweak 7 a lot).

If 7 is any indication you can install an upgrade on an empty hard drive by installing a first time without license number, then installing on top of it with the number.

Did you burn the iso of win8 ? Did you put it in your computer while running ? It may be as simple as that.

As for OS X, well, you can't buy it if you don't buy a Mac first, so it will never be in the same league as Windows as long as this philosophy doesn't change, and since the computer is slowly fading away, it never will.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

elbandgeek

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Download the installer and you can put it on a USB for a clean install
It's a simple as that

zckls04

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:53 pm

If support is in any way important to you as a non-business customer, MS is not the way to go. You may as well switch to OSX now.

If you want the actual answer though, it is: don't buy upgrade versions, ever. Always spring the extra for the full version. If you can't afford that, stick with the OS you have.
Four Granavox Turbines!

elbandgeek

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 6):
If support is in any way important to you as a non-business customer, MS is not the way to go. You may as well switch to OSX now.

I have never had anything less than excellent support from Microsoft. I have friends who have gotten royally screwed by Apple so to say one is inherently better than the other is bull.

aloges

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 3):
I can't stand Win8. Personally, I find it extremely difficult to use unless you are familiar with touch screen PCs, or you're buying a touch screen PC. Using it with a mouse and keyboard is just frustratingly unintuitive.
Quoting Aesma (Reply 4):
I hate the new look and interface

I read that Windows 8 comes with the option of using a standard desktop... haven't looked into that, though, since the chance of me buying it is extremely small at best. If it's accurate, that may make your lives a bit easier.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 4):
As for OS X, well, you can't buy it if you don't buy a Mac first

When did that happen?    Nobody asked whether or not I had a Mac when I bought my Snow Leopard family pack and Darwin is open source.

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 7):
I have friends who have gotten royally screwed by Apple so to say one is inherently better than the other is bull.

I don't care that much for consumer surveys, but personal experience such as yours and that of your friends is an even less statistically significant basis for any sort of judgement.  

TLG

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 6):
If you want the actual answer though, it is: don't buy upgrade versions, ever. Always spring the extra for the full version. If you can't afford that, stick with the OS you have.

Actually, you can buy the upgrade version and still do a clean install. All you need is proof of having the older version. It's as simple as putting the DVD in the drive for a bit. The end result is exactly the same.

zckls04

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 7):
I have never had anything less than excellent support from Microsoft. I have friends who have gotten royally screwed by Apple so to say one is inherently better than the other is bull.

One thing can be better than another thing without every interaction with the first being better than every interaction with the second. It's why anecdotal evidence is largely meaningless, particularly when based on a sample size of one person.
Four Granavox Turbines!

AA7295
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Quoting TLG (Reply 9):

Actually, you can buy the upgrade version and still do a clean install. All you need is proof of having the older version. It's as simple as putting the DVD in the drive for a bit. The end result is exactly the same.

Not so sure about that. That option ended with Vista. Especially since it's so easy to download an ISO and burn it to a disc, you can manipulate the authenticity of it.

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 5):
Download the installer and you can put it on a USB for a clean install
It's a simple as that

Yes, this is possible. But when it comes time to activation it won't work as it will say the serial key is only valid for an UPGRADE not FULL INSTALL.

Aesma

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 8):
I read that Windows 8 comes with the option of using a standard desktop... haven't looked into that, though, since the chance of me buying it is extremely small at best. If it's accurate, that may make your lives a bit easier.

The desktop is still there, it's just that for launching apps you go back and forth between it and the metro home page. Personally I added True Launch Bar to 7 so that I could keep a side bar full of icons.

Quoting aloges (Reply 8):
When did that happen? Nobody asked whether or not I had a Mac when I bought my Snow Leopard family pack and Darwin is open source.

And of course you installed it on a PC legally and in two clicks.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

aloges

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am

One thing I'm wondering is why MS is pursuing the "one OS fits all" approach. There are reasons why iOS and Android are separate from OS X and Chrome OS, so what benefits does MS see in deviating from that route?

Quoting Aesma (Reply 12):
And of course you installed it on a PC legally and in two clicks.

I have never seen anyone install Windows with as little as two clicks. Perhaps its possible in some sort of corporate environment where the system admin can start an automated installation with two clicks from 500 km away, but that's worth nothing to a consumer.

As for legality, I'm not sure that you'd find more illegal Mac OSs in the world than you would find Windows OSs.  

Aesma

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 13):
I have never seen anyone install Windows with as little as two clicks. Perhaps its possible in some sort of corporate environment where the system admin can start an automated installation with two clicks from 500 km away, but that's worth nothing to a consumer.

As for legality, I'm not sure that you'd find more illegal Mac OSs in the world than you would find Windows OSs.

It was a matter of speech (well, I'm a tech so I can do it, but it's not what the average user will experience), what I meant is that to install OS X on a PC is far more complicated since it's unsupported and illegal. You can't even download it from the Apple store without a Mac or a Hackintosh already running.

On the other hand Windows is legally installable on a PC, and even on Macs.

aloges

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 14):
It was a matter of speech

I know, I just thought the hyperbole was a bit much.  

Quoting Aesma (Reply 14):
On the other hand Windows is legally installable on a PC, and even on Macs.

Sure, but it all boils down to the different business models od MS and Apple. There's room for both just like there's room for Toyota, VW and Ford; the whole Apple vs PC thing is just for marketing and fanboys.

Aesma

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:22 pm

I agree. In most cases Apple is not an option.

Francoflier

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:44 pm

While we're on the subject, there are suspicions running about that Win8 is leading MS into a new consumerist philosophy based on apps, which eventually means they might restrict what is downloadable and installable and off course try to profit off of every purchasable download...

Some software developers are allegedly worried about MS trying to squeeze itself between them and the end user and some are threatening to ditch Windows altogether and turn to Linux.
Any truth to that?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

aloges

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:25 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 16):

Why are you trying so hard to turn this into a flame war?

Aesma

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 17):
Some software developers are allegedly worried about MS trying to squeeze itself between them and the end user and some are threatening to ditch Windows altogether and turn to Linux.
Any truth to that?

I have not been following this, but considering that a lot of businesses make their own custom software, if Microsoft didn't allow you to install stuff freely, they would be cutting off one of their arm.

Quoting aloges (Reply 18):
Why are you trying so hard to turn this into a flame war?

Well, it has been one from the start hasn't it ? I know that Apple computers are relatively common in the US (still, only 12% market share apparently), but not so in the rest of the world. Even now that iDevices are everywhere.

jetblueguy22

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:23 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 16):

I'd have to disagree. I've had a mac since 2008. And back then you were correct to a degree. My folks were afraid to get one because they hear all these IT horror stories about the lack of compatibility. I have last years macbook pro and the only issue I have had with programs is the one my school has for aviation students, that was built in 1995.... But besides that it is all good.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Ken777

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:39 pm

I guess my point is, that I am prepared to switch over poor MS customer service!

You can't just install OS X - you need to get a Mac to run the software, Not a bad thing - the Mac mini is option for an initial switch for many people as there are options for running the WIN software that has no Mac counterpart. It also allows you to use current keyboards, mice and displays.

Another option is to get a re-conditioned iMac after the new versions go on sale - the small one goes on sale in November and the large one goes on sale a month later. The "old" models should drop in price.

Go to the Apple Store and play - that's the best way to see your options.