Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pellegrine

RE: Gay Men/women Doing Non-stereotypical Jobs.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm a bit offended by the topic. Gay people work everywhere. I really don't get this type of questioning.

10% or more of the population is GBLTQ. They're EVERYWHERE.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

baguy

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 50):

I don't think there's any reason to be offended here - the OP is merely trying to say that often gay people are portrayed as having jobs such as being an FA or a dancer or other such stereotypical professions, and was wondering if there are some real life examples of those who perhaps have a stereotypically straight job (eg. As a car mechanic). So, in essence, the OP is not being offensive at all, but is probably more akin to your point of view.

Now the morality of the existence of such stereotypical 'gay" and 'straight' jobs is something completely different  

Pellegrine

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Quoting baguy (Reply 51):

I don't think there's any reason to be offended here - the OP is merely trying to say that often gay people are portrayed as having jobs such as being an FA or a dancer or other such stereotypical professions, and was wondering if there are some real life examples of those who perhaps have a stereotypically straight job (eg. As a car mechanic). So, in essence, the OP is not being offensive at all, but is probably more akin to your point of view.

Now the morality of the existence of such stereotypical 'gay" and 'straight' jobs is something completely different  

See. This topic is complex and a bit ridiculous in my opinion. I do not want to delegitimize the OP's question or make them feel untoward. But so what if popular images of gay persons working are stereotypical. There are other forces at work. Media is a big one, so is society, so are cultural norms in professions, so are gay people themselves.

There's a HELL of a lot of gay men working as political nonsensicos in Washington DC. Are they "stereotypical" dancers, theatre actors, artists, nurses, stylists, whatever? And I love all of those I just listed more than the nonsensicos.

Sometimes society WANTS to see gay people as working in "stereotypical" jobs. I fight this. Maybe because part of my business is in creative industry.

Gay people are office workers, lawyers, doctors, plumbers, electricians, in government, engineers, police officers, firemen, teachers, waiters, real estate agents, roughnecks, blue collar, white collar, platinum collar (like me LOL), finance, whatever.

Like some other people said, most gay persons work in "non-stereotypical jobs" for their definitive sector. I'm sorry if I offend anyone by getting "offended" by that. It's like saying Asians work these jobs, or Native Amerians work these, or blacks, or whites, or Hispanics work those jobs... Since when was that relevant or necessary to classify people.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

mham001

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 48):
So what was your conclusion?

That the school, with it's severe liberal ideals is short-changing the children with it's lack of diversity in the teaching staff.

10% or more of the population is GBLTQ. They're EVERYWHERE.

10% claim to have had a homosexual experience, ~3+% are practicing at any given time.

seb146

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Quoting panam330 (Reply 39):
Lance Bass coming out had zero to do with the "best boy band of the 90s" not getting back together. That's absolutely ridiculous. They're not boys anymore - that's why. Nobody wants to see a bunch of 30-somethings dancing to pop music.

The way I remember it: Between them and BSB, there was talk of both of them getting back together for one more album and tour each. Then Lance Bass came out and, all of a sudden, the other four were up to their eyeballs in other projects.

Quoting panam330 (Reply 39):
Several of those bands are on terrestrial radio.

SiriusXM carries Z100 from both New York and LA and a lite FM station from New York as well. And several top-40 channels. Which, I agree, means nothing anymore. I detest Taylor Swift. Imagine Dragons and fun. are starting to work my nerve too.

The point is: I don't hear the singers that were pointed out. But, listening to one channel for two hours would probably not do it?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

mariner

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 44):
My wife and I were discussing this morning that the only two male teachers in our local school both dress in pink.

But they don't all wear pink. I thought we'd moved on from that concept.

I know a number of men who - queer - deliberately put themselves in tough and even dangerous situations, partly, I guess, to prove they can cope.

I have. in 1981 I deliberately put myself in a small war one on the Kenya/Uganda border and came very close to being shot by some over-excited teenage soldiers at a remote check point.

I didn't do it to prove how butch I am, but that was a side effect. I discovered that I had also joined a very small club of Africa hands, some of them gay, who have had a similar experience and felt the absolute euphoria of survival. It so amazing (I yearn to have it again) that it can become addictive. The trouble is, it can't be faked.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 53):
10% claim to have had a homosexual experience, ~3+% are practicing at any given time.

Then again, of the men Kinsey studied, 37% claimed at least one homosexual experience.

I don't know how anyone knows, because a very large number of men are not going to admit it, or will deny it, even to themselves.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Doona

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:32 am

My wife and I were discussing this morning that the only two male teachers in our local school both dress in pink.

We are wondering what message that is sending to children.

You believe dressing in pink means they're gay? Is a woman who dresses in blue automatically a lesbian?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Kiwirob

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:36 am

so to summarise gay people can be pretty much anything they want to be, who would have thought that?

GlobalMoose

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Surprised it took until Reply 58, especially for airliners.net - Pilot!

I know there are a whole slew of us driving jets all over the world.

To make it even more non-stereotypical, military pilots!
When it absolutely positively has to be there ... at some point.

777222LR

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm an operations manager for a large Medical Group. Do a lot of advertising contracts, property management, and public relations management. Is that stereotypical? No. The only reason why you see so many people in fashion/hair/design, etc., is because those are the people you are looking for. So many gays in so many industries, and as it becomes more and more socially acceptable to be gay, you'll find that we are everywhere, in every profession.

All black men are not basketball players.

panam330

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 54):
I detest Taylor Swift.

This.

I hear the bands I listed on local radio stations in central NY (during holidays and whatnot) and in central Florida (where I go to school). Could just be a regional thing - who knows.

DocLightning

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:24 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 57):
so to summarise gay people can be pretty much anything they want to be, who would have thought that?

30 years ago, few people would have thought that.

How far we've come.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

mariner

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:05 pm

We are wondering what message that is sending to children.

That they're very old-fashioned? This pink/blue concept is relatively modern. Here's this, from 1918:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...-Did-Girls-Start-Wearing-Pink.html

"For example, a June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department said, “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.”

And 1927:

In 1927, Time magazine printed a chart showing sex-appropriate colors for girls and boys according to leading U.S. stores. In Boston, Filene’s told parents to dress boys in pink. So did Best & Co. in New York City, Halle’s in Cleveland and Marshall Field in Chicago.

Today’s color dictate wasn’t established until the 1940s, as a result of Americans’ preferences as interpreted by manufacturers and retailers. “It could have gone the other way,” Paoletti says."[/i]

It's all just fashion.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 61):
30 years ago, few people would have thought that.

How far we've come

While I absolutely take - and agree with - your point, I'd just like to make the case that thirty - or fifty - years ago, we weren't all chorus boys and hair dressers.

We were there, present in every profession, in every part of society.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Kiwirob

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 62):
"For example, a June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department said, “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.”

I'm happy that this flipped over.

falstaff

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 43):
What is most surprising is not that he's gay but that it's a known fact, since our politicians are usually shy about their private life, and we don't care about it either. So there are probably many gay politicians, not in the closet or anything, but it's just not commonly known. And even in the most backwards part of the country it would be foolish for a political opponent to try to use it in an election

Not everyone doesn't care.... I remember reading about this in ten years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/07/wo...being-stabbed-during-festival.html
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

JoeCanuck

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:38 am

Perceptions are changing, maybe too slowly, but changing all the same. A few years ago, who would have guess there would be openly gay people in primetime shows, in elected office and legally married?

I know...things are not equal everywhere but they never are. There are lots of places in the world, and in the civilized west, where it would be dangerous for me, (a white male), to walk alone...merely because of my skin colour.

Don't ask/don't tell was one of the most idiotic laws ever and getting that repealed was a huge milestone...in my opinion.

Social change happens slowly because society evolves slowly...in every aspect. Most people don't like change...it scares them, and when people are scared, they gravitate to what they know...even if that is less than equitable for all.

In many places, gay people openly displaying affection is as boring as straight people openly displaying affection...and that's the way it should be everywhere and eventually it will be.
What the...?

ME AVN FAN

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Quoting Ps762 (Thread starter):
wondering what experience people had in the real World with jobs done by gay men and women.

In Zürich the city-president is a women who is known to be lesbian and people know her (female) partner. The lady most likely will be RE-elected when her first term is over, as she is widely respect and quite popular.

diesel1

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 65):
Perceptions are changing

Indeed they are.

Though it was hardly a secret, Gareth Thomas, former Welsh Rugby Union (and League) team captain came out whilst still playing professionally - one of very few gay male sportsmen in the UK, particularly in team games.

He has justifiably won many plaudits for coming out
I don't like signatures...

JoeCanuck

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 am

Quoting diesel1 (Reply 67):

It will be so refreshing when coming out is met with abject boredom instead of headlines.
What the...?

mariner

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 am

Quoting diesel1 (Reply 67):
He has justifiably won many plaudits for coming out

And an invite to the Royal Wedding (not for coming out, but after he did):

http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/20...prince-william-and-kate-middleton/

"The royal wedding is today and Gareth Thomas is on the guest list. He knows Prince William from William’s role as vice patron of the Welsh Rugby Union."

And this year he is appearing in Dancing on Ice 2013 - he jokes about the sparkly costumes:

http://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/dan...ving-the-sparkles-and-glitter.html

"Dancing On Ice 2013: Gareth Thomas is loving the sparkles and glitter!

Speaking at yesterday’s Dancing On Ice press launch, Gareth said: “My teammates haven’t seen my sparkles yet but I’m waiting for texts tomorrow.

“I’m learning to embrace the sparkles."

mariner

[Edited 2013-01-04 18:26:51]
aeternum nauta

LO231

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:10 am

I'm a travel agent. Is that stereotypical?  
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU