Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

connies4ever
Topic Author

Windows 8 Question

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 pm

My g.f. a) does not have an internet connection, and b) the laptop she inherited from her mother is still on XPSP2. I know this is hard to believe in this day and age, but it's true.

I want to burn her a few CDs for home use, have just transitioned to W8, and damned if I cannot locate an app to rip and burn, like Windows Media Player. Anyone know how I can resolve this ? I know for her to get Internet is the correct path, and a new machine. But she lives in a rural area and any connection would be dial-up for now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

kngkyle

RE: Windows 8 Question

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:25 pm

I just upgraded to Windows 8 today actually, but I can't even remember the last time I burned a disk. Have you thought about using a usb drive? That would be the easiest solution. Using the sdcard on your phone is another option.

Braniff747SP

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:45 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Thread starter):
I want to burn her a few CDs for home use, have just transitioned to W8, and damned if I cannot locate an app to rip and burn,

If it's music you are burning, iTunes is the easiest way to do it.

darthluke12694

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:46 pm

First of all I am using Windows 8, so I think I can help.

You mentioned using Windows Media Player to burn stuff. To access Windows Media Player in Windows 8, go to your start menu (where you can select your apps such as desktop, calendar, etc). At the start menu, just start typing Windows Media Player. It will show you a list of apps with that name, and Windows Media Player should come up. Click it. The desktop should come up, along with Windows Media Player. From there, you should be able to burn whatever you used to burn using Windows Media Player.

However, there is an alternative to using Windows Media Player (for items other than music). Find the files you would like to burn. Go to file explorer (by default, it should be on you bottom toolbar in the desktop app. If it isn't go to start menu, and just type file explorer and click it). Find the location of the files in file explorer. On the top of the page, you should see a share tab. Click it, then click burn to disk. Then you should be able to burn your selected files from there.

Personally I prefer the second option. I also prefer Nero as a program to burn any files I have.

Those are the two ways I know of (besides of third party programs) to burn to a disk within Windows 8. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

connies4ever
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 am

Quoting kngkyle (Reply 1):
Have you thought about using a usb drive? That would be the easiest solution. Using the sdcard on your phone is another option.

USB might be the option, but I know from long experience she wants/expects to be served something ready to go right now. As for sdcard, I expect you're meaning a smart phone. Don't even have a cell, in fact have never used one. But I'm getting into consulting, so I expect I'll have to break down.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 2):
If it's music you are burning, iTunes is the easiest way to do it.

Don't know anything about iTunes, but I can take a look.

Quoting darthluke12694 (Reply 3):
Personally I prefer the second option. I also prefer Nero as a program to burn any files I have.

I'll check out both your suggestions.

Thanks, guys, appreciate it !   

Rara

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 4):
I expect you're meaning a smart phone. Don't even have a cell

Sort of explains your username.  

Braniff747SP

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 4):
Don't know anything about iTunes, but I can take a look.

It's free and burning a disc takes all of two seconds.

captaink

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:15 pm

You don´t need any additional apps. As one poster mentioned, you can just select the files you want to burn and do it directly from File Explorer. Don´t install iTunes onto your device unless you have Apple products and you use iTunes for sharing etc. It is a heavy piece of software and usually has a a couple processes running in memory constantly. I have an iPad and an iPhone and I don´t use iTunes for Windows. Maybe if I had a Mac it would be different.

darthluke12694

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Quoting captaink (Reply 7):
Don´t install iTunes onto your device unless you have Apple products and you use iTunes for sharing etc. It is a heavy piece of software and usually has a a couple processes running in memory constantly.

100% correct. If you do not own an apple product, do NOT install iTunes. It can become a headache at times and can use a lot of memory. No point installing iTunes when you already have Windows Media Player and built in file burner within File Explorer.

StarAC17

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:12 am

Don´t install iTunes onto your device unless you have Apple products and you use iTunes for sharing etc. It is a heavy piece of software and usually has a a couple processes running in memory constantly.

The trick with that is to go into MS config and stop all Apple products from loading when you boot up and this isn't just limited to I tunes, most adobe programs, divx and basically anything that auto updates starts something when your computer starts.

Stop all those processes and you will be surprised how much faster your system boots and runs.

Klaus

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 9):
The trick with that is to go into MS config and stop all Apple products from loading when you boot up and this isn't just limited to I tunes, most adobe programs, divx and basically anything that auto updates starts something when your computer starts.

Stop all those processes and you will be surprised how much faster your system boots and runs.

That sounds pretty strange. On the Mac with iTunes, Safari and everything installed there is no noticeable overhead when they're not doing anything.

How much actual resources do the Apple Windows components really consume (CPU load, memory etc.)?

moo

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 10):
How much actual resources do the Apple Windows components really consume (CPU load, memory etc.)?

iTunes on Windows starts the following permanent background processes at system boot:

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe (one system process)
iPodService.exe (one system process)
iTunesHelper.exe (one process per user)

Currently on my scratch system, those processes combined are taking up about 200MByte of memory, and fluttering between 0% and 5% of CPU time - without iTunes running or any devices plugged in.

connies4ever
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:50 pm

You don´t need any additional apps. As one poster mentioned, you can just select the files you want to burn and do it directly from File Explorer. Don´t install iTunes onto your device unless you have Apple products and you use iTunes for sharing etc.
Quoting moo (Reply 11):
iTunes on Windows starts the following permanent background processes at system boot:

Thanks for the tips, guys. I did (perhaps foolishly) install iTunes and I was able to note slower response. As well, the default download spot is for the 32-bit version, and W8 is of course 64-bit. I could not identify on iTunes any place to upload from a peripheral device, only downloading from the iStore. Another example of the Dark Realm (Apple). Will be uninstalling iTunes after I get my shopping done. And when get a smartphone, it will not be and iPhone. From what I know (I think), Galaxy seems the likely candidate.

I was able to get Windows Media Player running (thanks, Darthluke). However, despite some persistent searching, could not identify a "Rip" function. Definitely a "Burn", though.

Didn't get to the File Explorer thing, will try that later today.

3 - 3 1/2 hours over all. Zero result.

captaink

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 12):

To rip a CD in Windows you simpy have to drag the files you off the CD to a folder on your computer... This whole "ripping" and "burning" thing has become a lot simpler than in the late 90s early 2000s where you had to install Nero and other such software to do it..

StarAC17

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:21 pm

That sounds pretty strange. On the Mac with iTunes, Safari and everything installed there is no noticeable overhead when they're not doing anything.

It's not just Apple stuff I shut down, its DivX, most adobe programs (Flash, Reader etc.), I have an Android phone and Samsung Kies is probably worse than Itunes.

Much easier to load FSX when all of those aren't running  .

Quoting moo (Reply 11):

Currently on my scratch system, those processes combined are taking up about 200MByte of memory, and fluttering between 0% and 5% of CPU time - without iTunes running or any devices plugged in.

All this accomplishes is that Itunes loads faster when you want to use it, I would rather wait the 5 extra seconds and have the extra system resources.

darthluke12694

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 12):
I was able to get Windows Media Player running (thanks, Darthluke). However, despite some persistent searching, could not identify a "Rip" function. Definitely a "Burn", though.

Try putting a CD in your computer, then I think sync is what you're looking for in Windows Media Player, right next to burn.

Quoting captaink (Reply 13):
To rip a CD in Windows you simpy have to drag the files you off the CD to a folder on your computer... This whole "ripping" and "burning" thing has become a lot simpler than in the late 90s early 2000s where you had to install Nero and other such software to do it..

Also correct! Much easier now than in the old days.

StarAC17

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 pm

This whole "ripping" and "burning" thing has become a lot simpler than in the late 90s early 2000s where you had to install Nero and other such software to do it..

Nero is still around IIRC and I use for pretty much any file burning and copying and to do MP3 CD's (don't do that much anymore). It may not be the most user friendly but it sure is reliable.

darthluke12694

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 16):
Nero is still around IIRC and I use for pretty much any file burning and copying and to do MP3 CD's (don't do that much anymore). It may not be the most user friendly but it sure is reliable.

I would suggest anyone to invest in Nero if they are plan on burning a lot of stuff. It is very reliable. And I would suggest that everyone check the box that checks for errors after burning. Depending on how much you've burned, it takes awhile, but is well worth it. I recently had to burn about 50 DVDs, and 15-20 DVDs turned out to be no good due to finding an error in the burning. I'm not sure why the error occurred, whether it was Nero, the burner, or the DVD, but it found the error regardless and glad it did since I was selling the DVDs.

connies4ever
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Quoting darthluke12694 (Reply 15):
Try putting a CD in your computer, then I think sync is what you're looking for in Windows Media Player, right next to burn.

Darthluke and captaink, thank you ! Will try both methods.

I do see some oddities in W8 which perhaps indicates not enough beta-testing:
- seems as I scroll across the screen it wants to jump into Mail from wherever I am. Not always, but enough to annoy;
- if I do a restart, it has twice gone into what appears to be an infinite loop. One time I went away and had lunch, when I came back, about 45 min later, it was still restarting.

darthluke12694

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 18):
I do see some oddities in W8 which perhaps indicates not enough beta-testing:
- seems as I scroll across the screen it wants to jump into Mail from wherever I am. Not always, but enough to annoy;
- if I do a restart, it has twice gone into what appears to be an infinite loop. One time I went away and had lunch, when I came back, about 45 min later, it was still restarting.

Not sure about either of those problems. But I'm just curious. Did you upgrade to Windows 8 from a previous OS, or did you buy a new computer with it pre-installed?

My point is that upgrading from a previous OS could cause some problems. I upgraded from Windows 7. After I upgraded, I got a few "blue screen of death" (except Microsoft made it more pleasant for Windows 8) errors and had to restart my computer. I got sick of the errors, re-formatted my computer (in my case, I had to re-format back to Windows 7, then install Windows 8) and haven't gotten an error since. Obviously re-formatting your computer is the last thing you want to do. But it worked for me. The errors you are having aren't big enough to re-format, but it is a possibility. When upgrading OS, it's always better to start out fresh.

captaink

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 pm

On a Mac iTunes works splendidly, but its performance, even with 11 is pretty bad on Windows. I have a reasonable i3 machine with 6GB of RAM. And as mentioned before, its installation puts a number of processes in memory, such as Apple Push, iTunes helper etc., which can be removed with msconfig.

connies4ever
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Quoting darthluke12694 (Reply 19):
Not sure about either of those problems. But I'm just curious. Did you upgrade to Windows 8 from a previous OS, or did you buy a new computer with it pre-installed?

Bought new with W8 installed, along with MS Office and Norton. $45 pre-W8 launch special - what a deal. Although I prefer OpenOffice/LibreOffice. Samsung np550pc laptop. It's only about 10 weeks old.

Quoting darthluke12694 (Reply 19):
My point is that upgrading from a previous OS could cause some problems. I upgraded from Windows 7. After I upgraded, I got a few "blue screen of death" (except Microsoft made it more pleasant for Windows 8) errors and had to restart my computer. I got sick of the errors, re-formatted my computer (in my case, I had to re-format back to Windows 7, then install Windows 8) and haven't gotten an error since. Obviously re-formatting your computer is the last thing you want to do. But it worked for me. The errors you are having aren't big enough to re-format, but it is a possibility. When upgrading OS, it's always better to start out fresh.

Indeed, I've experienced that on more than one occasion In fact, my old Presario got xpsp2 re-imaged at the same time and it's working much better (using that machine as a toy right now, but I might give it to the senior's home up the hill). Also this was sometimes an issue with our fleet of VAX/VMS machines a ways back. Since I'd taken a raft of VMS admin courses, when we or another group had issues with a machine, I was often the goto person.

StarAC17

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:13 am

Quoting captaink (Reply 20):
On a Mac iTunes works splendidly, but its performance, even with 11 is pretty bad on Windows.

Itunes generally is very inefficient on Windows as it lags up often and I have been using it on a PC for nearly 10 years. There haven't been a lot of resource management improvements on it, I just have more RAM now  .

You would think Apple with its reputation of making things "just work" especially because not everyone who has an Ipod, Iphone or and Ipad has a Mac.

connies4ever
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Quoting darthluke12694 (Reply 3):
However, there is an alternative to using Windows Media Player (for items other than music). Find the files you would like to burn. Go to file explorer (by default, it should be on you bottom toolbar in the desktop app. If it isn't go to start menu, and just type file explorer and click it). Find the location of the files in file explorer. On the top of the page, you should see a share tab. Click it, then click burn to disk. Then you should be able to burn your selected files from there.

OK, from what I can see, the File Explorer method is probably best for me. If I actually had the files I want to burn on the hard drive, then it would be a piece of cake. But first as captaink indicated, I need to drag the files off the CD to a folder. I have a folder named after the CD. But with the laptop and a touchpad, how to drag ? If I had a mouse, I van do this blindfolded. Being new to the laptop world, this is eluding me ... could be long-term radiation damage, I suppose.

Sorry to be a pest.

darthluke12694

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 23):
But with the laptop and a touchpad, how to drag ?

Does your touchpad not have buttons underneath it? If it does, simply select the files, and then push the left button, while using the touchpad to drag the files.

If there are no buttons, select the files, then I think you can quickly double click the files, but don't let go of the touchpad after the second click and then drag them to wherever.

connies4ever
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Quoting darthluke12694 (Reply 24):
Does your touchpad not have buttons underneath it? If it does, simply select the files, and then push the left button, while using the touchpad to drag the files.

If there are no buttons, select the files, then I think you can quickly double click the files, but don't let go of the touchpad after the second click and then drag them to wherever.

I knew it was something like that, but I never got it in the correct sequence.    Maybe not radiation damage, maybe early onset. I think I am done for the day esp. after my afternoon run (10km). I will try tomorrow AM and advise. I owe you two beers now.

StarAC17

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:01 pm

From my experiences even if there is no button where the mouse buttons should be on a touchpad, simply taping that area will do the same things there is just no button.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 25):

I knew it was something like that, but I never got it in the correct sequence.    Maybe not radiation damage, maybe early onset. I think I am done for the day esp. after my afternoon run (10km). I will try tomorrow AM and advise. I owe you two beers now.

I don't like dragging personally so another option that I often do is to select the files you want and right click on the last one and then a drop-down menu appears and you select "Copy". Then you find the destination folder and right click anywhere in the white area where files are shown and click "Paste"