mke717spotter
Topic Author

Story Of Manti Te'o Dead Girlfriend A Hoax

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:27 am

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/16/sport/...o-controversy/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

"Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o said Wednesday he was the victim of a "sick joke" that had him and legions of fans believing in a "girlfriend" who may never have existed.

Te'o was the subject of an inspirational story in which he overcame the deaths of his real-life grandmother and his girlfriend as his team marched toward the BCS National Championship Game.

Te'o, the Heisman Trophy runner-up, released a statement and Notre Dame held a news conference Wednesday night after the sports website Deadspin published an article that called the girlfriend story a hoax.

Last September and October, Te'o told interviewers the losses of the women, who reportedly died within hours of each other, inspired him to honor them with sterling play on the field.

"I miss 'em, but I know that I'll see them again one day," he told ESPN.

That and other media reports led to a gripping human interest story of determination. The girlfriend was identified as Lennay Kekua, who had supposedly died of leukemia."

Does anyone else find this...disturbing?    Either:

a.) It was just a publicity stunt and now they're trying to cover it up or

b.) He's pathetic for falling something like this and getting so hung up on some girl he never met face to face
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Mir

RE: Story Of Manti Te'o Dead Girlfriend A Hoax

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:34 am

I don't see the problem with this, all my girlfriends have been imaginary too.

signed,

92% of a.net

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Maverick623

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:34 am

I doubt it was a publicity stunt, because his grandmother really did die.

Nope, he's probably just an easily swindled person. Just look at his religion.   

Even still, it's kinda weird that you would call someone your "girlfriend" without actually having met the person.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

dragon-wings

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:50 am

So he had a online girlfriend, I don't see anything wrong with what Te'o said or did. I have talked to women (2) I have met in chat rooms over the phone and never met them in person. I can see how he could of been fooled.

The local 10 oclock news had a story about this and they were comparing Te'o to Lance Armstrong (both being liers and dupping people)  
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Maverick623

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:00 am

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 3):
So he had a online girlfriend, I don't see anything wrong with what Te'o said or did. I have talked to women (2) I have met in chat rooms over the phone and never met them in person. I can see how he could of been fooled.

Normal do NOT refer to some girl you cyber with as your "girlfriend that you'll see again in heaven".

Either the kid has been completely brainwashed, or he's a pathetic liar. Neither outcome is going to be good for him.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:07 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 2):
Just look at his religion.

Mormon? Samoans for some reason have taken to that church with a passion, many would say Samoans are easily lead.

BMI727

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:10 am

Quoting mke717spotter (Thread starter):
b.) He's pathetic for falling something like this and getting so hung up on some girl he never met face to face

The thing is that he and his family made references to them meeting face to face.

From the Deadspin story that started this whole thing:

Quote:
"They started out as just friends," Te'o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-te...-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

I doubt it was a publicity stunt, because his grandmother really did die.

The big hole in the story is motive. What did Te'o stand to gain? What would others have to gain if this really was a hoax in which Te'o was a victim?

Just look at his religion.

He's a Mormon, so a fake girlfriend may not be a big deal. Just go hang out with the real girlfriends.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

us330

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 6):
The thing is that he and his family made references to them meeting face to face.

That's the sticker. The story told by Notre Dame and Te'o contradicts already published information and comments said by both Te'o and his family. Neither his statement nor the comments made by the Notre Dame AD explain these facts reported in Deadspin and in other media--which leads me to think that Te'o is still lying--and Notre Dame is covering up for him (if you believe the AD's comments that they launched an independent investigation).
Deadspin did a helluva job.

ltbewr

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 am

He probably is socially awkward, especially with women, and wanted his peers and public to see him as 'normal' with a girlfriend. This was further compounded by today's media where the financial pressures as well at to find stories to keep up with the competition, means less work done to verify stories.

garnetpalmetto

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:54 am

a.) It was just a publicity stunt and now they're trying to cover it up or

My money's on this one. Too much of this doesn't pass the smell test for "just" a hoax perpetrated against Te'o, particularly if you read the Deadspin article.

What did Te'o stand to gain?
http://www.jimmancari.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/img_0956.jpg along with "With the first overall pick of the 2013 draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select...".

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 3):
So he had a online girlfriend, I don't see anything wrong with what Te'o said or did.

Read the actual article on Deadspin and you'll see that if Te'o was involved in this, I could imagine an aggressive prosecutor pursuing a criminal fraud charge if Te'o benefited from this story materially.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:03 pm

He's pathetic for falling something like this and getting so hung up on some girl he never met face to face

I guess I'm "pathetic" by your definition then, because when I was much younger I was also taken in by the flowery words and pretty voice of a girl I met online but never met face to face. It's easy to let yourself get caught up in it, believe me.

After a few weeks I finally figured out - when she kept coming up with excuses why she couldn't meet me in person, etc - that she was someone just having fun at my expense.

I just hope if this was the case that Manti doesn't give up on women and turn bitter. I hung in there and finally did meet a nice girl online.

And right now she and our 11 month old son are asleep in the other room.  
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

AirframeAS

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:33 pm

This will impact his chances at the NFL draft, for sure. HLN News was saying something about that, and I agree. I don't think any NFL team would want this kind of baggage in their clubhouse.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

vikkyvik

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 10):
I just hope if this was the case that Manti doesn't give up on women and turn bitter.

Ha, "bitter" is not the word I expected to read there.

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

flymia

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:18 pm

I never heard about the story before. Guess I never watched enough ND football but when I read the deadspin article. Wow just WOW. Really pathetic guy.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

RussianJet

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:20 pm

So long as it wasn't some kind of elaborate ruse on the part of the sportsman, I can only feel sorry for him. Whether you consider him pathetic or not for entering into a relationship at distance, if it was a trick then it was a totally nasty and incredibly mean one.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

aloha73g

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Having followed him in Hawaii since he was in high school and helped my high school win a state championship, I have to say in no circumstances can I imagine that he was involved in this in any way. I honestly think he was just incredibly naive and was take advantage of.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

RussianJet

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Quoting aloha73g (Reply 15):
I honestly think he was just incredibly naive and was take advantage of.

And who among us can say that occasionally we have been led astray or deceived by foolish matters of the heart?
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

falstaff

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Having followed him in Hawaii since he was in high school and helped my high school win a state championship, I have to say in no circumstances can I imagine that he was involved in this in any way. I honestly think he was just incredibly naive and was take advantage of.

I teach high school and I could see some of my students being taken advantage of like that. Some of them aren't so bright or very worldly. You have to look at this from the point of view of somebody his age, not viewing his situation from an older more experienced person.

I wonder who would bother to screw around with some guy pretending to be some girl and why would they do it. That kind of action would take a lot of time and effort, so you would have to be screwed up and have nothing better to do.

He's pathetic for falling something like this and getting so hung up on some girl he never met face to face

I have met women online before and we had a great one night relationship.

I would never call a woman I never met face to face my girlfriend. I could call her a friend, but not a girlfriend.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Aesma

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:49 pm

After a few weeks I finally figured out - when she kept coming up with excuses why she couldn't meet me in person, etc - that she was someone just having fun at my expense.

I learned that lesson much quicker, during a math/physics/computer class, when I realized people behind me where laughing while I was chatting with a girl who turned out to be one of the guys behind me !

When under 20 I was also fooled by real life girls, who sometimes were fooling themselves too, at that age you really don't know much about what you want, what you need, what a mature relationship should be like...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

us330

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:35 pm

way. I honestly think he was just incredibly naive and was take advantage of.

I would like to agree with you--but there are just too many inconsistencies in the story for me not to think tht Te'o wasn't in on the scam. There are repeated references to an in person meeting by both Te'o and his family in newspaper articles and in press conferences, but now Te'o is claiming that he never met the girl.

4holer

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:46 pm

The only possibility that makes sense, and actually explains everything, is that Manti is in fact, gay. In football, The Closet still has a heavy locked door. He's protecting his secret.
I'm going with the Invisible Beard Theory.

[Edited 2013-01-17 11:59:16]
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

illinoisman

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Maybe Manti Te'o was fake too, because I was looking for him during title game and apparently he didn't exist!

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 pm

The big hole in the story is motive. What did Te'o stand to gain? What would others have to gain if this really was a hoax in which Te'o was a victim?

Obviously he must've been hungry for more attention. It was a great story - his girlfriend and grandmother dying in the same day which supposedly inspired him to play better and help Notre Dame get to the BCS National Championship. Everyone was eating it up.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...o-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

"This team is very special to me, and the guys on it have always been there for me, through the good times and the bad times. I rarely have a quiet time to myself because I always have somebody calling me, asking, 'Do you want to go to the movies?' Coach is always calling me asking me, 'Are you OK? Do you need anything?' "

I guess I'm "pathetic" by your definition then, because when I was much younger I was also taken in by the flowery words and pretty voice of a girl I met online but never met face to face. It's easy to let yourself get caught up in it, believe me.

"Much younger" as in during middle school? That's the last time I can remember any of my friends getting this serious about someone they only met online. I mean, this guy is a SENIOR in college for crying out loud. He should be able to see through this kind of stuff.

Quoting us330 (Reply 19):
I would like to agree with you--but there are just too many inconsistencies in the story for me not to think that Te'o wasn't in on the scam.

Then there's this:

"According to Deadspin, the only photos that have been found online that identified Kekua are actually pictures of another 22-year-old woman. That woman, not named in the report, told Deadspin one of those photos likely was shared by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.

Friends and relatives of Tuiasosopo, a high school classmate of the 22-year-old woman, told Deadspin they believe Tuiasosopo created Kekua. Kekua does not have a death certificate, Deadspin reported. Stanford, where she reportedly went to school, has no record of anybody by that name.

A friend of Tuiasosopo told Deadspin he was "80 percent sure" that Te'o participated and did so with publicity in mind.

According to the Deadspin report, Te'o and Tuiasosopo have been in contact via Twitter, including exchanging several friendly messages last summer."
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Mudboy

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:54 pm

So am I then, because the same thing happened to me, while I was in Afghanistan. I met a girl on facebook and we developed a relationship and to make a long story short, after several failed attempts to meet her when I was home on R&R I got suspicious, did some investigating and found the real girl in the pics and tracked her down and helped her and her family find out who the impostor was. Watch the show on MTV "Catfish" and you will see how common this has become.

I will say this, it hurts like hell when you have been played like this, it makes you question your judgement; I completely shut down emotionally and pushed everyone away after this. If is were not for the real girl's family being so open and accepting and thankful of me, I don't know how deep of a hole I could have fallen into? But I will say, every bad moment I went through, all the pain and heartbreak I felt, was worth meeting the amazing family of the real girl(whose pics were stolen) and we remain friends today.

There are people that are so attention starved, that they live their lives through these fake facebook and twitter profiles, and become masters of deception and misdirection, so as I warned all my friends on facebook, I will warn all of you; anyone you meet online, watch your 6! Ask questions and look for red flags? Make them video skype you or send a video text to prove they are who they say they are? Also, take their pics on FB and put them in Google image search, watch the show, " Catfish" it explains a lot of this.

I hope none of you ever have to go through what I went through, because the pain is real and I truly feel sorry for this kid and if he lied about some of it, to hide it, I do not blame him, because it is embarrassing. I lied to several of my friends that I had met the fake girl, because I was ashamed.

Please don't judge people like me, because I did not go looking for this, it came to me and I had no idea this stuff went on, but I learned my lesson the hard way and I hope none of you ever have to go through what I did. Stay Safe!

BMI727

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 7):
and Notre Dame is covering up for him

Another question is why ND is still defending and attaching themselves him. Te'o is done there and is getting advice from his agents.

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 9):
along with "With the first overall pick of the 2013 draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select...".

He would never have either of those things, dead girlfriend of no dead girlfriend.

I honestly think he was just incredibly naive and was take advantage of.

Then why did he tell his father and some media members that he had met this girl in person?

Quoting IllinoisMan (Reply 21):
Maybe Manti Te'o was fake too, because I was looking for him during title game and apparently he didn't exist!

He was getting buried under large, angry men.

garnetpalmetto

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 24):

He would never have either of those things, dead girlfriend of no dead girlfriend.

He may not have, but hype is a big part of the Heisman game anymore. Remember Oregon paying to put up a Joey Harrington billboard in Times Square as part of his candidacy? R is just as important as performance on the field and I can see Te'o and his camp thinking that this back story of a dead/dying girlfriend could be the difference-maker in that it injects human drama into the mix and might have garnered more sympathy votes. When his grandmother died? Just icing on the cake. He had two of the most important women n his life die and he goes out next game and records 10 tackles? Clearly this kid is made of stern stuff! Likewise with the NFL. Assuming he won the Heisman draft stock would have been higher. Considering that NFL GMs love a demonstration of commitment to the game (look at Myron Rolle whose draft stock fell because he failed to show commitment to the game b accepting a Rhodes scholarship to study medical anthropology at Oxford) and you establish your candidacy to be the top pick if not one of the top 5.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

AR385

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 pm

Could it be the guy suffers some type of Munchausen disorder?

johnboy

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 am

Quoting 4holer (Reply 20):
The only possibility that makes sense, and actually explains everything, is that Manti is in fact, gay. In football, The Closet still has a heavy locked door. He's protecting his secret.
I'm going with the Invisible Beard Theory.

Bingo.
First thing I thought of when I heard this story. Now that I know he's a Mormon, I'm sure of it.

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:57 am

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 22):
ting EA CO AS (Reply 10):I guess I'm "pathetic" by your definition then, because when I was much younger I was also taken in by the flowery words and pretty voice of a girl I met online but never met face to face. It's easy to let yourself get caught up in it, believe me.

"Much younger" as in during middle school?

No, my early 20's. Despite your desire to ridicule the guy, things like this do happen. Sorry that people like myself and Manti Te'o don't live up to your standards.   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:02 am

Regardless of how you feel about this situation unfolding, I think we can all agree there's only one clear-cut winner here today.

Lance Armstrong.  

Polot

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 28):
No, my early 20's. Despite your desire to ridicule the guy, things like this do happen. Sorry that people like myself and Manti Te'o don't live up to your standards.

I can believe that he initially fell for it and believed it was all true...but all the inconsistencies from him and his family makes me believe that he eventually found out the truth long ago but decided to continue with it for the publicity. I mean he talked about her to the press even after he allegedly discovered it was a hoax.

[Edited 2013-01-17 19:30:08]

BMI727

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 am

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 25):
He may not have, but hype is a big part of the Heisman game anymore.

It is, but Te'o was never that close to winning, and the hoax had to have started before he was even a Heisman long shot.

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 25):
Assuming he won the Heisman draft stock would have been higher.

I'm not sure about that, some guys' talent just doesn't translate well the the NFL. Te'o was never one of those guys, but NFL scouts are smart enough to not let awards and accolades trump game tape. Te'o is and will be a good NFL linebacker although not one of those transcendent, freakish talents.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 29):

Regardless of how you feel about this situation unfolding, I think we can all agree there's only one clear-cut winner here today.
Lance Armstrong.

I doubt that. Lance loves the attention. The Te'o affair may have derailed the Lance Armstrong Comeback Tour.

4holer

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Quoting johnboy (Reply 27):
Now that I know he's a Mormon, I'm sure of it.

Devout Mormon at a Catholic University in an NCAA Div 1 football locker room. To me the only question is if he's accepted it himself yet.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Aeri28

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Quoting johnboy (Reply 27):
First thing I thought of when I heard this story. Now that I know he's a Mormon, I'm sure of it.

I was going to say this yesterday but opted not to. There is speculation on it on other boards too that he is gay.

Not only just mormom, but Polynesian/Samoan. Although Hawaii is known for it's partnership stance or being more tolerant , it still is a very downlow place for many local gays where coming out has a lot of implications . Especially in the polynesian community, or samoan community here in Hawaii, in fact, asians as well here. The ones who are most 'out' are the haole guys . When you grow up here, it really can be a small community, a place where you know your aunties, uncles, cousins, nephews nieces, your mothers and your fathers and theirs etc. etc, and everybody linked to all those people. You grow up knowing your high school peeps, and again, their friends, uncles, cousins, aunties etc. People know your business when you grow up here. The pressure for many of those guys is high for them to marry and raise a family, carry on the name, the family tradition and so on.

Now throw in the college football factor, the scrutiny on how he lives his life, whether he has a girlfriend or any other human interest story on him, and it is highly highly possible a girlfriend was fabricated to throw people off his track. maybe his parents knew and that's why they said they'd met her.

I wish him well and hope whatever he needs to do he will do regardless of financial possibilities.

us330

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 31):
The Te'o affair may have derailed the Lance Armstrong Comeback Tour

You mean "attempted" comeback tour? The American public is generally a forgiving lot, but I don't think Lance will be able win anyone's forgiveness. Te'o lied about his personal life--he didn't cheat on the field. Players like Clemens, Bonds, and McGwire that did cheat were already established stars and were potential hall of famers pre-cheating. Armstrong owes his entire existence in the American public sphere to doping and cheating. Without it, he would have been just an average, maybe above-average cyclist that would have gotten some coverage back when he restarted his career after cancer and the diagnosis but generally forgotten afterwards.
If Te'o does derail Lance's attempted comeback tour, then I'm glad he lied about his girlfriend and it came out when it did.

I think Te'o, on the other hand, will be able to be "forgiven" by the American public because a) people really aren't outraged about this--more confused and perplexed, and b) he didn't cheat at football--he was a top recruit out of high school. All he needs to do is come clean and confess, and people will get over it. If he ends up having an NFL career, then it'll likely be the subject of heckling, but nothing more. (i don't think his prospects will be hurt by this case because, well, NFL teams have overlooked much worse things than someone lying about a relationship when drafting a player--all they care about is what he does on the field).

Silver1SWA

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 19):
There are repeated references to an in person meeting by both Te'o and his family in newspaper articles and in press conferences, but now Te'o is claiming that he never met the girl.
Quoting BMI727 (Reply 24):
Then why did he tell his father and some media members that he had met this girl in person?

Perhaps he claimed to have met her to legitimize the relationship? If I had a internet "relationship" with a girl I never met, I would be worried about what others would think and I'd probably claim to have met her when telling friends and family. Otherwise, they'd probably react like this...

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

clemsonaj

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm going with gay too. To seem legitimate he makes up a dead girlfriend as an excuse for not having a girl around and gets caught in the process.

DocLightning

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

I don't see the problem with this, all my girlfriends have been imaginary too.

signed,

92% of a.net

Mir wins the internet for today!  

I'm not sure if disciplinary action is warranted. Probably, public humiliation is sufficient.

Seriously, a college quarterback has to make up a girlfriend? If that's the case, then it's more than 92% of A.net who are in for a nasty shock...  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

FlyPNS1

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 37):
Seriously, a college quarterback has to make up a girlfriend? If that's the case, then it's more than 92% of A.net who are in for a nasty shock...

Your point is well made, though I would point out that Te'o is a linebacker....not a quarterback.

The only thing that could make finding a real, in-person girlfriend a bit more challenging for him (despite his elevated status as a football player at ND) is that he is Mormon. I'm guessing that makes him an extreme minority at ND. If he's truly devout to his faith, most non-Mormon chicks at ND might find him a bit weird and undateable. Of course, if he's gay, then he's got a different challenge.

ltbewr

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 am

If anything this story has brought out, it is the terrible quality of 'journalism' and its lower tier cousin, 'sports journalism' in our day. The Internet and 24/7/365 cable news has destroyed the time that allowed for fact checking, put up the BS detector, and too many in the news media looking for the big story to get them a raise or to keep their job. Ironically it was the internet and good use of it that led to the debunking of this guy's story. We often see stories put up here and get pulled down or fizzle out quickly when the less interesting truth comes out. It also show the hyprocracy of college sports at top sports schools like ND.
Why this happened, what Manti's part in it was who was involved in this will hopefully be resolved soon and be a lesson for all of us to be more cynical and less accepting of everything the press and famous persons say.

BMI727

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:13 am

Quoting 4holer (Reply 32):
Devout Mormon at a Catholic University in an NCAA Div 1 football locker room. To me the only question is if he's accepted it himself yet.

I doubt he's gay. Sure gay men have had girlfriends, real or fake, for a long time, but how many have had both a real and a fake girlfriend at basically the same time? There are reports now that Te'o dated a different, and real, girl from nearby St. Mary's just after the supposed death of Kekua.

Quoting us330 (Reply 34):
The American public is generally a forgiving lot, but I don't think Lance will be able win anyone's forgiveness.

That's because without the cheating and lying, there is nothing left of Lance.

Quoting us330 (Reply 34):
If he ends up having an NFL career, then it'll likely be the subject of heckling, but nothing more. (i don't think his prospects will be hurt by this case because, well, NFL teams have overlooked much worse things than someone lying about a relationship when drafting a player--all they care about is what he does on the field).

I've seen one NFL executive say that if he lied to his face it would be a big problem, but none of this has any real bearing on his football ability.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 35):
Perhaps he claimed to have met her to legitimize the relationship? If I had a internet "relationship" with a girl I never met, I would be worried about what others would think and I'd probably claim to have met her when telling friends and family. Otherwise, they'd probably react like this...

But what it does is completely torpedo the theory that Te'o is only a victim in all of this. He may have initially started that way, but quickly warmed up to the whole idea, even to the point of referring to his fake girlfriend even after he was supposed to have found out that she didn't really exist.

Quoting clemsonaj (Reply 36):
To seem legitimate he makes up a dead girlfriend as an excuse for not having a girl around and gets caught in the process.

...but then goes out with a real girl?

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 39):
If anything this story has brought out, it is the terrible quality of 'journalism' and its lower tier cousin, 'sports journalism' in our day.

There is no such thing as "sports journalism" as a lower tier. Journalism is journalism, it's just a matter of subject.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 39):
It also show the hyprocracy of college sports at top sports schools like ND.

That was already well established for anyone who bothered to notice. Not many people did.