PHX787
Topic Author

New SimCity! ...Don't Buy It! (PT 2)

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Because part 1 was archived, Here's part two-
And here's the main problem-

Because it requires an online connection consistently, the server keeps crashing. IGN is recommending NOT to buy it! DRM is factor (what is that?)

Shame, because as we speak, I'm enjoying SC4 right now  

Here's some articles:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/...ampaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/simcity-review-in-progress

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/...8/can-you-get-a-refund-for-simcity
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

slider

RE: New SimCity! ...Don't Buy It! (PT 2)

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:29 pm

This entire thing has been a real disaster. EA just completely fouled this up. I'm not a techie and certainly not a big gamer, but for them to so grossly misjudge server capacity and all of this is inexcusable. I was very excited for the game, but have been able to barely play it.

They really screwed the pooch here.

FighterPilot

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Been reading some of the stuff people have been tweeting on Twitter about Simcity, and can't help but laugh. Some of the reviews on Amazon are quite hilarious as well. I'm a huge fan of the Simcity series but I doubt I'll buy the game. In fact I might actually just download a pirated version just to spite EA and prove DRM doesn't work.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

desertjets

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:56 pm

I knew EA could screw it up, and looks like it did. Now I am all for anti-piracy, people need to be compensated for their intellectual property and the companies that produce and publish these games need to make money. But like the first IGN link talks about it seems like EA shot themselves in the foot here. It is simply inexcusable on the week of the launch for the next installment of one of the most popular game titles in the history of video gaming to be basically unplayable b/c of server issues for an idiotic always needing a connection DRM. Heaven help us if EA all of a sudden decides to drop support and servers for SC5 -- at some point they will and the game will be simply unplayable (assuming nobody cracks it).

SimCity is not an MMORPG, why should such an intrusive form of DRM even be in place? Though I do like the idea of collaborative real-time play and am REALLY curious how it will work in SC5.

Now that I am thinking about Sim City I feel like downloading DosBox and SC2000 for fun.

[Edited 2013-03-08 13:02:44]
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

RussianJet

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Wow, the Amazon reviews are a total car crash. Shame on EA, seems like they screwed up royally.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

alberchico

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:52 pm

http://www.amazon.com/SimCity-Limite...362691897&sr=8-1&keywords=SIM+CITY

Does anyone know how long EA would keep the servers up for a game like this ? Sim City 3000 is still going strong after all these years ? ( yes it runs on windows 7)

Apparently there are problems with the game itself regarding the easy gameplay and the lack of other features.....
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

pvjin

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:04 am

Good thing I didn't even notice that this game is already out, I could have bought it already if I had.

Though not a big surprise really, EA messing things up again, knowing them they will probably drop the support for this game in a couple of years anyway and then it's not playable at all anymore.

I guess I will continue playing Tropico 4 then, I really like that game.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

PHX787
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:57 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 6):
Though not a big surprise really, EA messing things up again, knowing them they will probably drop the support for this game in a couple of years anyway and then it's not playable at all anymore.

I hope Maxis re-releases this thing with a different company. EA may be responsible for SC4's excessive slow-ness as well  

CPH-R

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:56 am

Someone suggested this as the best review of SimCity: http://www.jonathancresswell.co.uk/2013/03/review-simcity/

ouboy79

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:03 am

SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition was on sale on Amazon for $4.95 a few days ago. Much better value. It still runs great after 10 years...can't complain. I can still get pulled in for a few hours if I'm not careful.  

bueb0g

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:12 am

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 2):
In fact I might actually just download a pirated version just to spite EA and prove DRM doesn't work.

It won't be pirated. That's the point of always on DRM. Unlike other forms, it does work, and with the amount of processing that's done server side with SimCity, it'll likely never be emulated. The only way you'll play it is by buying it.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 7):

I hope Maxis re-releases this thing with a different company. EA may be responsible for SC4's excessive slow-ness as well  

EA and Maxis are one of the same. Maxis is part of EA. They cannot publish with anyone else.

The new SimCity is great. Server issues are a pain, but they seem to be calming down now. By playing on the Oceanic servers I managed to get a good 5 hours of uninterrupted play today. Situation seems to be improving.
Roger roger, what's our vector, victor?

Cadet985

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:39 am

Quoting alberchico (Reply 5):
Does anyone know how long EA would keep the servers up for a game like this ? SimCity 3000 is still going strong after all these years ? ( yes it runs on windows 7)

Good to know about SimCity 3000! I have the new SimCity, but will either be returning it or selling it. I got it on the day it came out and decided not to open it until the reviews started pouring in. Good move on my part!

Marc

romeobravo

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 am

It looks pretty good but i'm strongly against the always-on-line aspect. I don't want my game to be interrupted by bad connection, and i want to be able to play it when i'm on a train or something.

Oh well, i'll probably buy it when it's sorted itself out.

FighterPilot

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Quoting bueb0g (Reply 10):
It won't be pirated.

Famous last words.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

Newark727

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Thread starter):
DRM is factor (what is that?)

DRM is an acronym for Digital Rights Management.  

Mir

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 12):
i want to be able to play it when i'm on a train or something.

It is absolutely amazing that the people at EA can't figure that out.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

CPH-R

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):
It is absolutely amazing that the people at EA can't figure that out.

Yeah, when DRM becomes such a hassle that it's an obstacle to playing, it will inevitably force people to the pirated solution - or to just not buy the game.

desertjets

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:15 pm

I downloaded DOSBox and SC2000 for fun this weekend. For a nearly 20 year old game it holds up really well (by contrast the original basic SimCity doesn't IMHO). I REALLY want to like the SimCity -- a few of the beta previews I saw made it look good. And while it doesn't quite have the sometimes insanely indepth stuff that SC4 has it looked good -- maybe a little better for the more casual player.

I hope EA gets this right, and finds a better, less-intrusive form of DRM. If they can't get the server capacity correct for the 1st week post-release of a HUGELY popular title, I really worry about the long-term and having a broken game that in a few years I may not be able to play at all.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

lewis

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:04 pm

I have had the game since the release date but (thankfully?) I only had time off work to play on Sunday. It took a while to install all updates but for the few hours that I played, I didn't experience any lag or server crashes. I do mind the always online aspect of the game as I cannot play it whenever and wherever I want. Pretty stupid, especially if I don't play in multi-player mode. I am also not a fan of the small city tiles, I ran out of space very quickly.

In general I have to say that EA has completely ruined Sim City. I will keep playing the game but I feel the essence of Sim City has been lost somewhere, in favor of a much larger player target group and "forced" multi-player.

pvjin

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 pm

That's bad to hear, I really wanted to have proper Sim City... I guess I might be back playing Sim City 4, I got it from Steam during Christmas sales for 5 euros or something.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

RussianJet

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Would you believe that yesterday I saw they're advertising the game on TV in the UK?? One would have thought they'd have waited to sort themselves out before doing so.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

DeltaMD90

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 pm

DRM is a terrible idea. It's royally screwing legitimate players, and in looking for an off-line patch I found that they ALREADY have pirated versions available. So great job EA, you stopped pirates for a few days and probably drove a ton of people to pirate this game

Mir

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 20):
Would you believe that yesterday I saw they're advertising the game on TV in the UK?? One would have thought they'd have waited to sort themselves out before doing so.

They were advertising it on TV in the US as well (at least they were on Friday).

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 21):
in looking for an off-line patch I found that they ALREADY have pirated versions available.

Which is great news, since it will hopefully convince developers that this sort of continuous DRM will do nothing more than irritate customers and cause egregiously bad PR.

-Mir

DeltaMD90

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 22):
Which is great news, since it will hopefully convince developers that this sort of continuous DRM will do nothing more than irritate customers and cause egregiously bad PR.

You'd think, but this is hardly the first DRM crap that's been pulled. It's bad when pirated versions of games, movies, and music are better than the legit products (no mandatory online play, no inconvenience transferring music to other devices you have, no mandatory watching of anti-piracy commercials, etc)

Mir

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 23):
You'd think, but this is hardly the first DRM crap that's been pulled.

True, but I do think it's the highest profile case. SimCity is a classic game, and even casual gamers will have heard about this whole mess. And the more people that know, the better.

-Mir

DeltaMD90

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
True, but I do think it's the highest profile case. SimCity is a classic game, and even casual gamers will have heard about this whole mess. And the more people that know, the better.

I suppose. Maybe EA should do something Steam style. Not really a fan of the whole Steam set up but I hear their games are very hard to pirate. I know their games can be played offline

ouboy79

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 25):
I suppose. Maybe EA should do something Steam style. Not really a fan of the whole Steam set up but I hear their games are very hard to pirate. I know their games can be played offline

With all the flack Steam gets, I really have never had an issue with them. Also, to be honest, I like the idea of having an online backup somewhere of my games. There are times when the CD/DVD will get scratched and that's it. The nice thing is even with many older games, you can put in the CD key into Steam and it'll add it to your account for no additional charge. Blizzard has also been doing this with all of their titles as well. Even the older WC3 and original SC you can put in the key and get a downloaded version of it if your CD is toast.

kpitrrat

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:44 am

EA is simply garbage.

This online issue is not only within SimCity but also on XBox live.

Their servers are crap, poor connectivity, crashes (all the time), etc. They have simply made the Madden series practically unplayable because of it. This has been deteriorating for the last few years. I actually have now begun to avoid purchasing anything with the EA logo attached to it.

flyingturtle

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 17):
I downloaded DOSBox and SC2000 for fun this weekend. For a nearly 20 year old game it holds up really well (by contrast the original basic SimCity doesn't IMHO).

I've done that long ago... still a great game. Zooms me right back into childhood.

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/6343962_700b.jpg

Edit: The father and two of Colbert's brothers died in the Eastern Air Lines Flight 212 crash, September 11, 1974.

David

[Edited 2013-03-12 03:02:12]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

txjim

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 pm

I took a look at the 5-star reviews on Amazon to see who actually liked the game. They are priceless and worth the read! For example:

Quote:
I just installed it! I've been waiting for the latest SimCity game for ages and it looks pretty amaz-

Could not access review due to a network error.

CPH-R

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Quoting txjim (Reply 29):
I took a look at the 5-star reviews on Amazon to see who actually liked the game. They are priceless and worth the read! For example:

Also why they (the number of stars / reviews) are more or less pointless by now. Well that, and that lady who apparently manages to review 3 books per day.

nighthawk

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 am

I have been playing SimCity since SC2000, so I was keen to get my hands on this game as soon as I could, and I was lucky enough to take part in the beta. Despite what I'd seen in the beta, and all the reviews/warnings, I decided to go ahead and pre-order the game regardless.

The DRM and always online doesn't bother me too much, I play on a desktop anyway, so will always have a connection, so it isnt too much of an issue for me. While initially I expected they would have server capacity issues, I was confident they would sort it out eventually and provide enough capacity to meet demand.

I finally had chance to play the game last night, and in doing so discovered something that I have not seen mentioned anywhere else yet, and something that really worries me - there is no synchronisation between servers!

Last night I logged into Europe West 1, and created my first region and city (in private mode - I have no interest in playing with friends). However now it seems that my city is stored on EW1, and only EW1! So tonight if I want to play my city, I have to log into EW1!

Now once EA balance capacity properly, there should always be a server available you can log into. However, the chances of a single server being full is quite high, which makes the lack of synchronisation a serious issue.

Tonight if I want to play SimCity, then I either have to hope that EW1 is not full, or sit and wait until there is a space on it. Either that, or start all over again with a new city until I can get back to my first city.

And what happens if EW1 crashes or is down for maintenance for a few days? I cannot play my city!

This is a seriously bad move by EA, and I hope server synchronisation is added ASAP!

nickh

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm

I have been a SimCity fan since the old DOS days, and I have owned practically every version. I haven't played it in years, though.

I can't seem to devote much time to play it, nowadays.

A few months ago, while browsing at my local computer store, I saw a package labelled "The SimCity Box", on sale for $29.95, so I purchased it just for grins.

It contains SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition, SimCity Societies, SimCity Destinations, SimCity 4 Rush Hour, something called SnapCity, and the game Spore as an added bonus.

Not a bad deal, if you ask me - the box has 4-DVDs for all the games. Unfortunately there are product keys that you have to enter for the games, but I don't believe that SC4 requires a continous internet connection to play.

You might find the SimCity box on Amazon or something like that, if you look.

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

slider

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 pm

So, a few comments on a latest update on this game.

In short, it’s a freaking disaster.

They’re issued 5 major updates now and are slowly bringing back the functionality of the full game (Cheetah speed is back finally, for instance). But more troubling is that as people spend more time with the game, they’re realizing Maxis sold a bad bill of goods. This vaunted Glassbox simulation engine is a POS, candidly. Traffic is illogical, the agents of the game (Sims, cars, sewage, trade resources) that travel or move do so in bizarre ways or not at all. Population is grossly out of whack and misrepresented. Freight has NO purpose whatsoever in terms of having an impact among Commercial, Industrial and Residential zones.

Several YouTube videos expose the farcical pathfinding logic of traffic, where they are programmed to take the shortest route no matter what—and irrespective of road density (ie: sims will create a traffic jam on a two-lane road when a 6-lane avenue is nearby), and where commuting Sims will simply drive into houses in sequential order.

The entire engine is flawed and the weighting of what influences higher wealth building (ie: parks) is totally flawed. Just plop a few parks and whammo---happiness abounds and high wealth results. People have built cities with ALL residential zoned and have done so with no consequences.

For all the bluster by EA and Maxis about the depth of simulation, these people look like morons and it’s embarrassing. This is the worst video game launch in history already and, while that’s never acceptable, it would at least be palatable if the game itself were the magnificent feat it was sold as. Instead, it’s a cartoony joke that makes no sense, has little logic to it, and can in fact be played offline.

And to add insult to injury, EA in their quest for DRM (allegedly to delay/prevent pirating), is now already being hacked. The game is being hacked right now! Kotaku posted a video of debug mode and pirates are already working on it and are modding out the game. Sadly, it doesn’t matter because for a game that should have infinite appeal, it’s already on the shelf for many.

northstardc4m

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm

I said it before...
I'll say it again

The new Sim City is more Sim City Societies than Sim City 4.

I'll be sticking with my VERY modded SC4. Besides the curvey streets and associated lots, I can do anything in my SC4 that the new SC offers and much much more as far as i can tell.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

lewis

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 31):
I finally had chance to play the game last night, and in doing so discovered something that I have not seen mentioned anywhere else yet, and something that really worries me - there is no synchronisation between servers!

I saw that mentioned somewhere and experienced the same issue the first day I played since I couldn't get back to the server I had originally started playing in. I had to do the tutorial again and start all over again. It is a serious problem but won't affect me much, as long as the capacity on the server I have chosen to play keeps up with the demand, which I hope it will do.

Quoting slider (Reply 33):

I have a feeling they are fully aware of the issues with Glassbox and this is why they have decided to stick with small tiles for the time being, where the impact of the issues you describe will be smaller, until they can resolve most of them.

BO__einG

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:00 pm

I sent a nasty email to EA to tell them that as long as this stupid feature is enabled, Sim City is a commercial failure and they will be the ones responsible for all losses on this project.
I really feel for Maxis who were the brains behind this amazing game but EA f*cked it up bad with their stupid big brother spy rules. The risk of piracy IMO is quite low, as anybody who truly loves the game will buy it period!

If DRM can be managed so it only checks upon startup or whenever a patch update is being downloaded, I would be fine with that but then again EA are ignorant to the gamer community as their press release on this says that they did not know there would be this much demand on a legacy product. It starts with the idiotic vice president Lucy Bradshaw who is actually a Maxis exec. I'm trying to send a email directly to her as shes the one in charge of the entire program.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

D L X

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Sooooo.....

where can I get SimCity 4 for the Mac these days?

BO__einG

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:40 am

HEre are some SC5 updates from EA.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-update-8

Here is the onling commucation of Lucy's account for SimCity where she represents the voice of EA.

http://www.ea.com/news/author/lucy+bradshaw

And here is a website containing a petition to kill DRM, so far it has over 20,000 signatures including mine.

https://www.change.org/petitions/electronic-arts-inc-remove-always-online-drm-from-simcity-and-future-games
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Cadet985

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:45 am

I traded my unopened SimCity DVD to a friend for some FSX add-ons.

I think I made out on the deal.

Marc

flymia

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:53 am

Sucks to hear this. I decided to spend $50 getting the coolsky DC-9 instead of sim city to play around during my spring break and man I am happy with my decision.

I am a big sim city fan but haven't played sim city in a while since I have hear sim city 4 does not run well or at all on windows 7. I played the beta for sim city 5 and the game just seemed too easy and the lots way too small and a bunch of other annoying problems. Maybe in a year or so this game will take shape and I will buy it. Until then I'm not touching it.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

pvjin

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:55 am

I haven't had problems running Simcity 4 under Windows 7, though it's bought from Steam so I'm not sure if it's different from non-Steam version somehow.

nighthawk

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:27 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 41):
I haven't had problems running Simcity 4 under Windows 7, though it's bought from Steam so I'm not sure if it's different from non-Steam version somehow.

interesting to know, I have the original boxed version of SC4 Deluxe, and once the city gets over a certain size (i'm not sure what the size is, but it is around 20,000 population, so not exactly huge), it causes the game to crash.

I have more or less stopped playing SC4 due to this, however the steam version is available for just a few pounds, so if it works without crashing I might be tempted to buy it.

pvjin

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Hmm well in that case I'm not sure, I got the Deluxe edition during Christmas sales and haven't had time to play it for a long yet, just did some quick test so I don't remember if I reached that 20 000 population mark.

By quickly looking many people indeed seem to complain about problems with win 7 when others say they have no problems, I think I will be doing some playing soon and see if I have any problems now.

slider

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 35):
I have a feeling they are fully aware of the issues with Glassbox and this is why they have decided to stick with small tiles for the time being, where the impact of the issues you describe will be smaller, until they can resolve most of them.

That’s sort of what I was thinking and I really intended to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, now that I’ve seen SO MUCH evidence in the way of the absolutely moronic traffic patterns, the zero value for freight and the purposeless R/C/I zoning (there’s no dependence after all between or among them whatsoever), and that the Sim behaviors are not governed by individual agent paths as they promised, I’m a cynic and EA can eat sh*t.

In fact, I’ll go so far as to say they flat out lied. Glassbox was supposed to be, and sold as a revolutionary advanced engine for modeling over 100,000 individual agents—whether trade resources, traffic, Sims, etc. Turns out they’re full of it. There’s no such massive computing power even needed, especially since it’s been hacked to play offline already and isn’t even dependent on the servers for computing power (a direct bold lie from Ocean Quigley the creative director and their exec producer guy too).

The more I follow these forums and read about it—the teenage petulance notwithstanding—the more I realize just how ill-prepared EA was to launch this game. It’s great that Lucy Bradshaw has accepted responsibility and has owned it from a Maxis standpoint, but the truth is that she needs to pay with her job. This was a leadership failure all the way—a faulty product that was falsely advertised with bogus promises that has fallen flat on its ass.

You know it’s bad when people are already parking the game on the shelf. There’s no eternal challenge at all. This game is a massive disappointment. And I’ve been a SC guy since SC2000, not a gamer and now am deflated from this whole experience. EA is really a lousy company too, the more I hear about it.

ouboy79

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 42):
I have more or less stopped playing SC4 due to this, however the steam version is available for just a few pounds, so if it works without crashing I might be tempted to buy it.

Don't rush to buy it again. A lot of the sites like Steam and Origin allow you to submit your existing CD Key to add the game to profile.

I have the Deluxe version that I bought off Amazon, electronic version, after I lost my original SC4 copy. Have not had a problem at all running it on Win7 64-bit.

PHX787
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 42):
interesting to know, I have the original boxed version of SC4 Deluxe, and once the city gets over a certain size (i'm not sure what the size is, but it is around 20,000 population, so not exactly huge), it causes the game to crash.

I have 3 cities I'm working on in SC4D, and all are over 60,000. No crashing issues surprisingly.

ouboy79

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 46):
I have 3 cities I'm working on in SC4D, and all are over 60,000. No crashing issues surprisingly.

I just checked on mine to see. I have roughly 5 cities going right now. My central major town is around 250,000 citizens. I have one resort town at 60,000. My other 3 are industry only (one being all farm land).