Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

txjim
Topic Author

Tokyo Vacation In Early July - Bad Idea?

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:26 am

It's been 25 years since I've been to Tokyo and other parts of Japan for vacation and that was in December. I've been in the city several times for work since then but can't honestly remember the time of year.

I'm looking at a family vacation for myself/wife/16yo son and early July seems to be the only available time due to work schedules and other factors.

I understand that it's hot/humid that time of year with a good chance of rain. Family is used to heat that time of year and has experienced Texas coastal heat+humidity but I don't have a good feel for what we will experience during the visit.

Our plan is to spend a few days in Tokyo and a few days touring other locations. Is there a good reason to avoid Tokyo and other parts of Japan this time of year? Are there local holidays that will make transportation a problem?

We're a pretty adaptable family and will probably enjoy the trip regardless of climate but I'd appreciate any comments regarding visiting that time of the year. Am I nuts for evening thinking about this?

Jim

PHX787

RE: Tokyo Vacation In Early July - Bad Idea?

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:55 am

Welcome back! When you get here, PM me if you want to go spotting  
Quoting txjim (Thread starter):
I understand that it's hot/humid that time of year with a good chance of rain. Family is used to heat that time of year and has experienced Texas coastal heat+humidity but I don't have a good feel for what we will experience during the visit.

That's the only thing I hate about living here is the summers. Too brutal, but it's doable. Buy a sweat cloth from your local konbini and take one of the fans people are always handing out outside train stations.

Our plan is to spend a few days in Tokyo and a few days touring other locations. Is there a good reason to avoid Tokyo and other parts of Japan this time of year? Are there local holidays that will make transportation a problem?

Eh not in early July. Mid july is when schools get out and the obon season gets underway, but I've made vacation trips to Japan during this time without any issues.

It should be a doable trip, especially since Japan is really trying to get tourists back in light of the 3/11 earthquake. Try going up the Sky Tree or Tokyo Tower, go to Akasaka Sacas and maybe catch a glimpse of a celebrity, Go for a Sumida River cruise, visit Disney Land, go spotting at HND  

I'll be there for most of the summer (2 week trip back to the states in August) so if something changes or if there's an issue in Japan at this time you'll probably hear from me first.

Enjoy Japan 
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

rfields5421

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:48 am

Family is used to heat that time of year and has experienced Texas coastal heat+humidity but I don't have a good feel for what we will experience during the visit.

Yes, it's also been 25 years since I was in Japan for a four year tour at Yokosuka outside Tokyo.

The summers were a bit hot and sticky. Temps might get up to 90 or 95, and the humidity might get into the 80s.

Tokyo cannot touch the heat and humidity of the Texas coast. However, you will find many fewer air conditioned places in Japan than in Texas. They simply don't have 100+ amps of electricity run into every building to power Texas sized air conditioners.

Do try to get out into the countryside if possible for a day or two.

The oban season of late July is busy, but it was always one of my favorite times of year to journey to various places and meet the Japanese people.

Tokyo is a crowded city, and travel is always an adventure.
Not all who wander are lost.

txjim
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 am

Thanks for the information, PHX! I appreciate the suggestions, It's been too long to remember all but the highlights from my last trip.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 1):
Welcome back! When you get here, PM me if you want to go spotting

Bound to be more interesting than my area. I can see as many WN737s flying over my house as I wish, that's about it.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 2):
Yes, it's also been 25 years since I was in Japan for a four year tour at Yokosuka outside Tokyo.

As it turns out, I was traveling with a person whose brother was a JAG at Yokosuka at the time. We stayed at his off-base house but I can't remember the name of the town. Not exactly the serious Navy type, he had a nameplate that read "Chris J****** Combat Lawyer" on his desk

smolt

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi, txjim

That you are not reluctant to visiting Japan makes me at ease because this means Japan has got to be safer than two years ago.

Early in July, whether it's so hot / humid or not here in Tokyo depends on year. Temp is possibly either below 20 or over 35 centigrade.

I would advise you to take four things into considerration as follows;

1. heavy rain leads to flood
Especailly in local, seasonal heavy rain may cause floods, which brings about transportation mess or even damage on sites itself to visit.

2. series of earthquake still goes on
It is said that it takes another years before Japan's land get stabilized.

3. accident of Fukushima nuclear plant
Status of the accident plant has got less critical than two years ago,but risk of things getting worse again still remains

4. possible electric power shortage
Due to almost all nuclear power plant being stopped, supply of power is subject to short in summer. Air conditioners consume huge amount of power if temperature is high.

regards. smolt

PHX787

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:41 am

Quoting smolt (Reply 4):
3. accident of Fukushima nuclear plant

Just stay away from Fukushima prefecture. I think it was still around 12 miles or something last I checked.

Nothing really to see up there anyway.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787