tz757300
Topic Author

Los Angeles, What To Do?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 pm

Hello all, I'm visiting Los Angeles the 2nd week of April for work/conference and am trying to get a feel of what is there to do in LA in my free time, which I roughly have 4 days of nothing scheduled. I've been to LA once, saw a lot of the touristy things (Universal, Hollywood, walk of fame, etc) and would like to get some input on things to do off the beaten path. I'm staying near the airport and relying on public transport/cabs, if that makes any difference. I like culture, I like the outdoors, and I like food 

Also, I was thinking of a 2 day trip to San Diego while I'm there, is that doable?

Thanks!
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

romeobravo

RE: Los Angeles, What To Do?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:42 pm

Hire a car and go to Yosemite or somewhere nice.

nazgul

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 am

Well you're out of luck if you like culture dude! Lol   Anyway, as the person above mentioned - hire a car and visit Yosemite. You could also visit a vineyard and sample some Californian wine - always a good day out! Alternatively, if you have time you could drive south and visit San Diego - now that is a lovely city and lots to do in the area! Happy travels :-P

nazgul

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:10 am

Sorry, I didn't read your topic properly - yes it is possible to take a trip to San Diego and if I were you, I would use all your spare time to do that! Not that I dislike LA but that is just my personal opinion  

PHX787

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 am

LA- if you're a republican, get out. They'll eat you alive  Wow!         

In all seriousness, I like Santa Monica and Malibu. Good drives.

Go spotting at LAX and catch the SQ 345 before she retires.

Go to Orange County and meat some sensible people  

San Diego is like 2, 3 hours away (i think?) So i guess it's doable.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

seb146

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:49 am

What to do in Los Angeles for four days? Go to Vegas.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Braniff747SP

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:57 am

If you want to go to San Diego, as some above have mentioned, I highly recommend Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner. It departs from Union Station; there is a direct Flyaway bus from LAX to the station. Going by train is the best way if you don't have a car.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 4):
LA- if you're a republican, get out. They'll eat you alive           

Now that's absurd... I'm still here.    (Might have something to do with the fact that I consider myself a Rockefeller Republican, but I digress...)

Go spotting at LAX

Absolutely. Go to the In N Out, Imperial, and the Flight Path. You won't be disappointed.

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 1):
ire a car and go to Yosemite or somewhere nice.

That'd be a very long drive from Los Angeles. Plus, I believe the road is still closed and remains so, normally, until mid-April.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

BMI727

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:06 am

LA- if you're a republican, get out.

Orange County is a nice enclave of sanity in that respect. And LA really isn't too bad, but the only time I spent time there was after a couple days in San Francisco, so that may be a slightly warped perception.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 6):
Plus, I believe the road is still closed and remains so, normally, until mid-April.

It's early spring in Southern California, so I doubt there's much sense in seeking out bad weather.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

PHX787

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:19 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 7):
Orange County is a nice enclave of sanity in that respect. And LA really isn't too bad, but the only time I spent time there was after a couple days in San Francisco, so that may be a slightly warped perception.
Now that's absurd... I'm still here. (Might have something to do with the fact that I consider myself a Rockefeller Republican, but I digress...)

Lol twas a joke, my friends. And for the record, I consider Orange County separate from the rest of the LA area, because they're so radically different in terms of politics.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Braniff747SP

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:34 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 8):
Lol twas a joke, my friends.

Of course.

, I consider Orange County separate from the rest of the LA area, because they're so radically different in terms of politics.

I don't see how they are massively different... and I don't see why one should subdivide areas based on politics. There are many more worthy items to be looked at.

BMI727

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:47 am

Lol twas a joke, my friends. And for the record, I consider Orange County separate from the rest of the LA area, because they're so radically different in terms of politics.

LA as a whole gets a pretty bad rap as far as being excessively liberal because they get dragged along with the Bay Area, even outside of Orange County. I would take Afroman's advice about Hollywood seriously though...

Confuscius

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:49 am

Drive around LA and visit these historic sites.

10050 Cielo Dr. on Benedict Canyon
3301 Waverly Dr. in Los Feliz
12000 Santa Susana Pass Rd. (Spanh Ranch)

8763 Wonderland Ave. on Laurel Canyon

875 S. Bundy Dr. in Brentwood

Intersection of Florence and Normandy
Ain't I a stinker?

BMI727

Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:00 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 11):

I'm sure there's a tour bus for that. Even better, take the tour in a white Bronco.

Silver1SWA

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:29 am

That'd be a very long drive from Los Angeles. Plus, I believe the road is still closed and remains so, normally, until mid-April.

It's dependent on the weather and how much snow they've gotten, but I went last month to Yosemite and the roads were open. Had a great time, but from LA you're looking at a 5-6 hour drive.

San Diego is a much closer option. Or there's Disneyland! 
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Superfly

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:47 am

So much bad advice here.

Quoting tz757300 (Thread starter):
I'm staying near the airport and relying on public transport/cabs, if that makes any difference.

You need to rent a car and do not waste your time trying to drive 5 hours away to Yosemite. The best place to rent is the Budget rental at LAX. They always treat me well and have the best cars at the best rate.
Without a car in LA, you're stuck.

LA has a subway to nowhere. The line that goes near LAX takes you to Norwalk.
You would have to switch trains in the middle of South-central Los Angeles (the hood) to connect on the line to downtown (skid row) to connect to the line to where all the hip people are in Hollywood. That journey would take you about 3 hours.
You need a car period in Los Angeles and anyone that says otherwise is being dishonest.
Once you get your rental car, there are plenty of great things to see in LA.
Take a drive out on Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu, drive up Malibu canyon and take a drive along Mulholland dr.
There are plenty of good places to eat but they are far apart. If you like Thai food, visit Thaitown. If you like seafood, go to Gladstones. There is a great steakhouse in La Harbra names Clearman's Northwoods Inn. Although LA has a small Chinatown, the best Chinese food is in Alhambra. Lots of good Mexican food in SoCal too but you have to go to the roughest parts of town to get the most authentic.
If you meet a lady and want to have fun, take her to the Snooty Fox Inn. They have mirrors on the ceiling...

I highly recommend Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner. It departs from Union Station;

...and how would he get to Union Station from LAX without a car?
It would take as long as the Amtrak ride it self. Once he arrives in San Diego, he would need a car at that end as well.

I consider Orange County separate from the rest of the LA area, because they're so radically different in terms of politics.

LA and Orange county is the same metro area and they both look bland for the most part.
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:10 am

I like the outdoors, and I like food 

Do the Sunset Dinner horseback ride through Griffith Park over to the Mexican cantina. It's really a lot of fun.

http://www.griffithparkhorserental.com/trail_rides.html
International Homo of Mystery

tz757300
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
You need to rent a car and do not waste your time trying to drive 5 hours away to Yosemite.

Being under 25, I'm not shelling out $500 for a car

Without a car in LA, you're stuck.

Well, so be it I guess.

You would have to switch trains in the middle of South-central Los Angeles (the hood) to connect on the line to downtown (skid row) to connect to the line to where all the hip people are in Hollywood. That journey would take you about 3 hours.

LA has a much better transit system than the one I rely on and I don't mind the "hood", since I currently live in one.

Does anyone have some advice about downtown LA, since that's where I'll be spending most of my time anyway?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

jetmatt777

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:20 pm

Quoting tz757300 (Reply 16):
LA has a much better transit system than the one I rely on and I don't mind the "hood", since I currently live in one.

LA's public transportation system rocks. There's nothing wrong with riding the bus. I do every time I visit LA and you can get just about anywhere if you don't mind walking a block or two.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Braniff747SP

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 13):
t's dependent on the weather and how much snow they've gotten, but I went last month to Yosemite and the roads were open. Had a great time, but from LA you're looking at a 5-6 hour drive.

You went through Tioga pass and it was open in February? That's impressive.

...and how would he get to Union Station from LAX without a car?

As I mentioned, the excellent direct Flyaway bus service operated by LAWA. It's fantastic.

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=4696

Superfly

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:44 pm

Does anyone have some advice about downtown LA, since that's where I'll be spending most of my time anyway?

Most shops close at 5:00PM and is a ghost town afterwards.
It's mostly hair & nail shops and discount wig shops.
Then of course the check cashing places and liquor stores.
Bring back the Concorde

Silver1SWA

Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 18):
You went through Tioga pass and it was open in February? That's impressive.

There isn't only one way in to Yosemite as you implied above.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:00 pm

The Getty Museum is well worth a visit.

Braniff747SP

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 20):

There isn't only one way in to Yosemite as you implied above.

Of course not, but that's the shortest way from Los Angeles that leads to the most picturesque part of the Yosemite Valley. If you want to make it to Yosemite now you'd have to go a longer route.

BN747

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:34 am

So much bad advice here.

Yes there is..starting with this..

If you don't know what you're doing that's where you'll end up...

.. the LAX line after 3 stops meets a transition METRO Liner that takes you directly to Downtown's Union Station ..
http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/rail_map.pdf

I like the outdoors,

..where you can get to nearby Hollywood/Losa Feliz to walk or a short bus ride to Griffith Park with a million hiking trails - it's not Yosemite, but you won't realize you're in LA once above several 100ft.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):

Most shops close at 5:00PM and is a ghost town afterwards.
It's mostly hair & nail shops and discount wig shops.
Then of course the check cashing places and liquor stores.

Completely false.

Downtown LA has gone thru a renaissance of sorts..

There is a budding nightlife evolving in areas all over downtown LA, old office buildings have converted lofts bring with tons of 18-29 hipsters and their type of hangouts have sprouted up all over the place. The place is quite lively, want a little more Disney-like sanitized cookie-cutter vibe.. head near the Ritz Carlton/Staples Center area. Yes Skid Row is still where it's always been and you can walk right into it if not paying attention, but you can-er will .. also walk into the Bargain Fashion district, making feel like you're in a giant Mexican Bazaar near Mexico City's Zocalo.

Was a great choice, the property has been built over the original and it's been reduced to a simple address.. but great views from up there.

An attached point of interest, eat El Coyote (one of the best Mexican Restaurants in LA) and made famous as this was where Sharon Tate and crowd had her/their last meal (her booth is still marked it's #14 or 15) few people know that Steve McQueen was there with the group dining as well..but chose not to go to the party hangout but a hook up instead...and avoided being murdered by Manson.

Wonderland is a very interesting twisted street.

would like to get some input on things to do off the beaten path

Downtown is bursting with those, as are the eclectic regions of Franklin Ave, Larchmont Village, Abbott Kinney area of Venice Beach - all with their own unique earthy 'non-strip mall' flavors.

I can go on, but I'll let the experts continue their thrashing based on whatever it is they're basing it on.

You can see all their is to see in San Diego in a couple of hours, the airport is boring, downtown as nice as it .. is a mini (and I mean super mini) version of downtown San Fran. Visiting the USS Midway is about the only cool thing there, oh yes of course and Sea World.

BN747

[Edited 2013-03-16 19:50:48]

[Edited 2013-03-16 20:27:51]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

aaflt1871

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:40 am

3301 Waverly Dr. in Los Feliz
12000 Santa Susana Pass Rd. (Spanh Ranch)

8763 Wonderland Ave. on Laurel Canyon

875 S. Bundy Dr. in Brentwood

Intersection of Florence and Normandy

Hell, send him here to Scott

www.findadeath.com
Where did everybody go?

Silver1SWA

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:55 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 23):
You can see all their is to see in San Diego in a couple of hours, the airport is boring, downtown as nice as it .. is a mini (and I mean super mini) version of downtown San Fran. Visiting the USS Midway is about the only cool thing there, oh yes of course and Sea World.

The zoo is worth a visit.

BMI727

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:23 am

You need to rent a car

I'd agree, whether you think public transportation is good or not. By not using a car, you're missing part of the LA experience since the region was built for cars. Southern California is a great place to splurge a bit on a rental and get something beyond a stripped out Hyundai. You'll even enjoy traffic jams more in a rental spec, standard issue Mustang or Camaro.

few people know that Steve McQueen was there with the group dining as well..but chose not to go to the party hangout but a hook up instead...and avoided being murdered by Manson.

Or lucky for Manson. I wouldn't have wanted to fuck around with Steve McQueen, who is also the patron saint of gearheads.

Braniff747SP

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:28 am

.. the LAX line after 3 stops meets a transition METRO Liner that takes you directly to Downtown's Union Station ..
http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/ma...p.pdf

Also a good choice, but not as quick as the Flyaway. The Metro Liner is great, though. MTA has done a good job recently in building a decent public transit network.

Although, naturally, the best way to see LA by car. There is no real substitue.

BN747

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:37 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 25):
The zoo is worth a visit.

I was gonna list that.. but there seems to be a growing resentment to the 'enclosed animal' habitat thing among more and more people, so I omitted that intentionally.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 26):
few people know that Steve McQueen was there with the group dining as well..but chose not to go to the party hangout but a hook up instead...and avoided being murdered by Manson.

Or lucky for Manson. I wouldn't have wanted to fuck around with Steve McQueen, who is also the patron saint of gearheads.

Perhaps ...perhaps not. If they were passing around party favors and he partook..he wouldn't have been able to beat up Elmer Fudd. But party favors is probably why he 'passed on coming over'..

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Cadet985

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:16 am

Go spotting at LAX and catch the SQ 345 before she retires.

Take a couple hours, a good camera, and go to In n Out right at the end of one of the runways at LAX.

Marc

BN747

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:32 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 27):
Although, naturally, the best way to see LA by car. There is no real substitue

That is the undisputed truth! Whenever I'm in a foreign city I will certainly drive to test my skills in the local lanes..I strong suggest leave headphones off and pay attention in unfamiliar surroundings.

But LA and New York City, in the US, really do test your skills .. but the one thing about LA is knowing the rush hour times (and directions) and the 'avoidance (side) streets.. which cannot be mastered in four days. But you can get around that by timing your driving hours by blocks of time that aren't affected by rush hour.

But for someone uncomfortable doing that.. the metro sys is a HUGE enhancement over what once was.

BN747

LMP737

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:12 am

"Los Angeles, What To Do?"

Rent a car and drive to San Diego.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Confuscius

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:35 am

If you're staying downtown at the Hotel Cecil, don't drink the water!

http://news.yahoo.com/water-tested-b...found-la-hotel-tank-083205919.html

Steve McQueen was there with the group dining as well..but chose not to go to the party hangout but a hook up instead...and avoided being murdered by Manson.

On the flip side, Steven Parent, the first victim that night was neither rich nor famous, but unfortunately was in the wrong place and time. He was there to sell a clock radio to the caretaker. He was on his way out when he encountered the Family members who were entering the compound.

Wonderland is a very interesting twisted street.

"Johnny Wadd" Holmes was an interesting, twisted and well-endowed (13 1/2 in (34.3 cm) [1] individual.

-----
[1] Bill Amerson, Wadd: The Life and Times of John C. Holmes
Ain't I a stinker?

n229nw

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:53 am

Quoting nazgul (Reply 2):
Well you're out of luck if you like culture dude! Lol
Quoting BMI727 (Reply 7):
Orange County is a nice enclave of sanity in that respect.
Quoting LMP737 (Reply 31):
"Los Angeles, What To Do?"

Rent a car and drive to San Diego.

Oh dear God!

I'm from LA, and, while I wouldn't want to move back there because I hate the sunny weather and having to drive instead of walk or take public transit, I will defend it to the death against comments about it being empty of culture or uninteresting. After New York, LA has more of all kinds of "culture" and "cultures" than anywhere in the US--it is miles ahead of the San Francisco Bay Area and light years ahead of San Diego.

San Diego is fine if you want to look at some pretty beaches and strip malls with Olive Gardens or Cheesecake Factories, and gated communities of McMansions and blond people who are really smiley and then suddenly try to convert you to born-again Christianity. OK, of course there is more there than that (maybe?)...but why not actually enjoy visiting LA if you are in LA.

You can get Downtown without a car (and it is totally safe to go the way Superfly mentioned; it will take a while though).

Anyway, Downtown itself is full of interesting stuff.

The central public library is architecturally awesome inside with the escalator well. I recommend checking it out.
The Music Center is there, with the best orchestra in the US, in a new hall designed by Frank Gehry as well as opera, lots of plays and other productions.
Just north of Downtown (and easy by public transit from there) is Chinatown, and while I would go to Arcadia for Chinese food if you had a car, it's worth a walk around Chinatown too (though the best Chinese places in LA proper are actually scattered around the city)
Just east of Downtown is Broadway, with an incredible Mexican shopping district, and just a bit further little Tokyo.
Union Station is also really neat.

Being under 25, I'm not shelling out $500 for a car

The Getty museum (both parts, which are nowhere near each other) are a bit harder to get to by public transport, but they are both very cool. However, there is a concentration of Museums near each other along Wilshire Blvd. that you can get to by bus easily from Downtown, or other ways, and the L.A. County Museum of Art is great, as are the La Brea tar pits and the museum there. I've been away from LA for a long time except for visits to my parents, but I've seen that there are new museums and stuff springing up all the time.

With no car, I would hop on a bus to Santa Monica, and take a lot of walks around there. Within some blocks near the ocean you have the oceanfront cliffs themselves, the 3rd St. Promenade (which along with Old Pasadena is the best pedestrian area of the LA area), and various other nice things.

You should also definitely check out Venice (the touristy beach quickly but as BN747 said, also the Abbott Kinney area, and absolutely the canals from which the area got its name).

Finally, UCLA and the Westwood area around it are another place that has a huge concentration of stuff to see. The campus itself is nice and there is a lot of studenty life and other stuff in Westwood.

The truth is a car is part of LA, and to really explore all the interesting ethnic neighborhoods and restaurants, you would really want one, maybe bite the bullet and get one for a day? Silver Lake is an interesting neighborhood to explore. Griffith Park and the observatory are near there if you are interested. Koreatown is MASSIVE. If you like the beach, drive up PCH to Mailbu, as others have said. Spectacular views...

Feel free to PM me if you want some restaurant recommendations, etc.

[Edited 2013-03-17 00:30:46]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

BMI727

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:12 am

Quoting n229nw (Reply 33):
if you want to look at some pretty beaches and strip malls with Olive Gardens or Cheesecake Factories, and gated communities of McMansions and blond people people who are really smiley and then suddenly try to convert you to born-again Christianity.

Except for that Christianity bit, that sounds pretty much perfect.

TWA772LR

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:33 am

Take the train to San Diego. It's very relaxing and the ride is up against the beach the whole time and you get taken right to the middle of San Diego.

Disneyland is always a solid option, go see the McDonnell Douglas sign at LGB  , or go eat at Ruby's on the pier in Newport Beach. Or get a reservation at Hell's Kitchen!

If the Dodgers are playing a home game while you are there, you should go see that too. Even if you are not a Dodgers, or baseball fan, there is something about Dodger stadium that gives you a huge nostalgic and historic feeling in your gut. And I'm an Astros/Angels fan saying this! Also, the Dodger dogs are pretty good too!

[Edited 2013-03-17 01:19:57]
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Superfly

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:38 am

I already said that.

Completely false.

Not false at all.

Not really.
That garment district that you speak of has always been there but closes down at 5:00PM.
Tz757300 can buy all the hair weaves and press on nails he wants in the daytime downtown LA but that all closes down at 5.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 26):
I'd agree, whether you think public transportation is good or not. By not using a car, you're missing part of the LA experience since the region was built for cars. Southern California is a great place to splurge a bit on a rental and get something beyond a stripped out Hyundai. You'll even enjoy traffic jams more in a rental spec, standard issue Mustang or Camaro.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 32):
"Johnny Wadd" Holmes was an interesting, twisted and well-endowed (13 1/2 in (34.3 cm) [1] individual.

Not sure if that's the kind of 'fun' Tz757300 is looking for.  
Bring back the Concorde

Silver1SWA

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:43 am

San Diego is fine if you want to look at some pretty beaches and strip malls with Olive Gardens or Cheesecake Factories, and gated communities of McMansions and blond people who are really smiley and then suddenly try to convert you to born-again Christianity. OK, of course there is more there than that (maybe?)...but why not actually enjoy visiting LA if you are in LA.

LOL

After New York, LA has more of all kinds of "culture" and "cultures" than anywhere in the US--it is miles ahead of the San Francisco Bay Area and light years ahead of San Diego.

San Diego is the one with the serious identity crisis. There is a serious inferiority complex that stems from existing in the shadow of LA. So many things about San Diego drive me nuts, but damn is it hard to live anywhere else!

Seriously, San Diego is like the middle child in a family...

[Edited 2013-03-17 00:46:45]

BN747

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:24 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 36):
Completely false.

Not false at all.

Totally is.. your words..

LA has a subway to nowhere.

Which is absurd and especially not helpful and discouraging to someone seeking advice on the most expedient transportation - very misleading!

When looking at the Metro Map I posted I hope the OP can plainly see getting from LAX to downtown is a cinch and extremely efficient given the distance.

The line that goes near LAX takes you to Norwalk.

Yeah, if that's where you're going or haven't the slightest idea of 'how to Metro' ... anyone who has rode a Metro in London, Paris, Rome, Mexico or Tokyo has had to make connections - LA is certainly no different. There are in fact two connecting points (to downtown) long before and I mean long before Norwalk is reached.

You would have to switch trains in the middle of South-central Los Angeles (the hood) to

Scare him with a few Zombies to why don't you?! Johnny Hick from Bunkville, Arkansas couldn't have made seem more treacherous with that woefully inaccurate description.

Either connecting point along the LAX line in South Central are new, nicely maintained, clean and safe with Metro cops very visible... 'the hood isn't even touched nor seen... when making the switch.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 36):

Not really.
That garment district that you speak of has always been there but closes down at 5:00PM.

The Garment district is but a fraction of downtown and now with daylight extended, many shops are opened much later. In addition, there are so many decent people walking their dogs along the street late at night just as if their in SOHO Manhattan as nearby clubs and bars crank out jazz tunes and indy bands do their thing. It is a very vibrant culture in Downtown LA now.. it actually feels like 42nd Street NYC before Gyuliani Disney-ized it...without the XXX pornflick shops every 2 feet. And it is a very young crowd along with many many tourist and backpackers in the all over the place.

You would have to switch trains in the middle of South-central Los Angeles (the hood) to connect on the line to downtown (skid row)

Union Station is so far from Skid Row it's not funny, Union Station it's right at Chinatown, walking over the 101 Freeway you walk right towards the famed Los Angeles City Hall Building, the Roybal Federal Building and all the lawyers turf. you have cross Little Tokyo to reach Skid Row. Downtown Los Angeles is very much on track to have a very dynamic downtown feel as San Francisco does...it will be that in 5-10 years if not sooner.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 37):
San Diego is the one with the serious identity crisis. There is a serious inferiority complex that stems from existing in the shadow of LA. So many things about San Diego drive me nuts, but damn is it hard to live anywhere else!

Seriously, San Diego is like the middle child in a family...

San Diego is nice and quaint, but after seeing the 5 top venues The USS Midway, Sea World, the Zoo, Pacific Beach and La Jolla..it's Snoozeville, unless cookie-cutter stripmalls are your thing! Everything San Diego has, we have X a factor of 10 or more... including Aircraft Carriers at Long Beach... but we can't match Sea World. If you want to cross over into Mexico, then that adds to the excitement factor, but this should be done with friends unless you've ventured into places like this alone previously.

I'm from LA, and, while I wouldn't want to move back there because I hate the sunny weather and having to drive instead of walk or take public transit, I will defend it to the death against comments about it being empty of culture or uninteresting. After New York, LA has more of all kinds of "culture" and "cultures" than anywhere in the US--it is miles ahead of the San Francisco Bay Area and light years ahead of San Diego.

Precisely! But I can't understand you're hating the Sunshine at all! That is one of my primary reasons for loving it here
All he things you mentioned, I've mentioned mant time before, I can write all day about what to see and here and you'd need a month to do it. But I listed strictly 'off the beaten path' suggestions because that is what the OP asked for.

As for the LA haters, I usually found that they're the types who visited and stayed only at LAX or visited someone friend or relative in Culver City or Pomona or Corona and never saw a thing while here.. because I'm never getting over how many people that live in these outlyiing areas who have never ever been anywhere here. And the Orange County dwellers just love their Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Irvine Strip Malls. Only Laguna Beach and San Juan Capistrano have any pizzaz down in that area.. the rest of looks all the same. No character whatsoever.

They hate the Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Malibu, Hollywood thing because it is trendy, snooty, elitist and plays by no one's rules..it's what makes it exciting 'if you can hang'..and pisses you off if you don't fit in.. and trust me you 'feel it' when you're not fitting in. NYC is the exact same way as is any other place with large concentrations of commerce, competitiveness, wealth and opportunity. But the key to fitting in... is not giving a damn anout what every feeling you get or looks that come your way.. just act like you own the joint, no one will bother you.

BN747

Braniff747SP

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:37 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 30):
But LA and New York City, in the US, really do test your skills .. but the one thing about LA is knowing the rush hour times (and directions) and the 'avoidance (side) streets.. which cannot be mastered in four days. But you can get around that by timing your driving hours by blocks of time that aren't affected by rush hour.

Tell me about it. I drive a minimum of 40 miles a day on the 405 and 101, the most congested freeways in the nation... wouldn't be so bad if the weren't congested with maniacs.

I will defend it to the death against comments about it being empty of culture or uninteresting.

I live here and have all my life... and I'll be the first to say go somewhere else. So many better places to visit.

Superfly

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 38):
the most expedient transportation

Haha! You're kidding. Right?  
Union Station is so far from Skid Row it's not funny, Union Station it's right at Chinatown, walking over the 101 Freeway you walk right towards the famed Los Angeles City Hall Building, the Roybal Federal Building and all the lawyers turf. you have cross Little Tokyo to reach Skid Row. Downtown Los Angeles is very much on track to have a very dynamic downtown feel as San Francisco does...it will be that in 5-10 years if not sooner.

I hope you're right. Last I was in the downtown area was in 2010. Didn't seem like much had changed.

As for the LA haters, I usually found that they're the types who visited and stayed only at LAX or visited someone friend or relative in Culver City or Pomona or Corona and never saw a thing while here.. because I'm never getting over how many people that live in these outlyiing areas who have never ever been anywhere here. And the Orange County dwellers just love their Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Irvine Strip Malls. Only Laguna Beach and San Juan Capistrano have any pizzaz down in that area.. the rest of looks all the same. No character whatsoever.

I lived there for 11 years and go back to visit family & friends all the time. I don't consider myself a "LA hater". I just hate being there without a car.

As far as the above comments about San Diego, can someone tell me what's so special about the place? I've been there multiple times and it just seems like a cleaner but more boring version of Los Angeles.
Bring back the Concorde

BN747

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 40):
the most expedient transportation

Haha! You're kidding. Right?

For someone without a car.. The OP has made it clear Public Transport is the only option and the train is the fast option on the table. If not that..then what is? ....a skateboard?

Quoting Superfly (Reply 40):

I lived there for 11 years and go back to visit family & friends all the time. I don't consider myself a "LA hater". I just hate being there without a car.

It is the worse for someone 'use to' being here with a car.. not to have access to one .. virtually torturous. But there are people who are wizards at making public transportation work for them. I was shocked to hear someone speak of a direct Blue Bus going from Gladstones - Pacific Palisades/Pacific Coast Highway to near UCLA in 30 mins... one thing I can say is the city is committed to making public transportation work.

'The LA Haters' are the ones who thru no fault of their own - endured a bad visit because their host - usually - outside of Disneyland, Universal Studios and Hollywood, hasn't the slightest idea where to take their visitors AND won't admit it, won't even hint at it. Leaving those ppl with a 'WTF? That's it? attitude..if someone did that to me.. I'd hate too. Disneyland I cannot stand it (it's been nearly 20 years and I won't be back (plus it's OC, not LA) and I've never taken the Universal Studios tour..nor do I plan to.

I did visit Griffith Observatory for the 1st time recently, bored with the facility (which can be seen from all over LA) as it's more of a kiddy school kid thing, but the area is indeed a hiker's paradise. Plans are on deck to visit the Mr. Wilson Observatory where you can rent the telescope for a night, Edwin Hubble broke the news that the Milky Way is NOT the entire Universe from here about 80 years ago.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 39):
Tell me about it. I drive a minimum of 40 miles a day on the 405 and 101, the most congested freeways in the nation... wouldn't be so bad if the weren't congested with maniacs.

You mean the Prius drivers in the fast lane along with texting (but can barely use a smart fone as it is) 80lb woman wheeling a 2 ton SUV switching lanes without looking. But honestly, Prius drivers - in my book - instigate road rage.

40 miles a day, you must love that job...I don't know anyone who could put up with that and yet...millions do it, daily.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 39):

I live here and have all my life... and I'll be the first to say go somewhere else. So many better places to visit.

That's interesting .. I find the very people who have lived here all their lives have a very very peculiar perspective about the place. It's kinda like most of them don't want to talk about it.. as if they have always want to leave but never did. And yet many east-coast transplant swear to never go back east.

But I guess many lifelong residents say the same thing... and had I took their 'go somewhere else' advice, I'd have never seen many of the interesting and great cities of US and the world.

BN747

[Edited 2013-03-17 11:45:18]

Superfly

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 41):
The OP has made it clear Public Transport is the only option

It was reply #16 when he made it clear. I hated not being able to rent a car when I was under 25. I think Ugly Duckling Rental Cars rent to those under 25 but don't quote me on that.

I was shocked to hear someone speak of a direct Blue Bus going from Gladstones - Pacific Palisades/Pacific Coast Highway to near UCLA in 30 mins...

Did he/she do that while the restaurant was open?
That is possible on morning reverse rush hour commute.

I hear you on those 'LA haters'. I don't "hate" the place and it is one of my hometowns so to speak. There are some cool things about SoCal but I tend to go for the non-universally loved things.

Plans are on deck to visit the Mr. Wilson Observatory where you can rent the telescope for a night,

Sounds nice. I hiked to Mt. Wilson from the base in Pasadena. It took 11 hours to do it. It was great being able to walk to the snow level. The hang-gliders that jump off Mt. Wilson lands at the football field at my old high school (Pasadena High School).
Bring back the Concorde

Braniff747SP

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:19 pm

40 miles a day, you must love that job...I don't know anyone who could put up with that and yet...millions do it, daily.

Job? High school...

You mean the Prius drivers in the fast lane along with texting (but can barely use a smart fone as it is) 80lb woman wheeling a 2 ton SUV switching lanes without looking. But honestly, Prius drivers - in my book - instigate road rage.

Prius or no Prius, the people who sit on the right lane drive anyone sane up the wall. Then you have the people who cut you off, don't look, swerve through traffic... All in a day's commute.

hawaiian717

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 pm

As far as rental cars go, if you're under 25 (but over 21), the major car rental chains will gouge you pretty badly with surcharges, but they will rent to you. It might be worth looking into the smaller, local companies to see if they'll offer a better deal.

LA's public transit is quite comprehensive, especially when you keep in mind how spread out the area is. But it is mostly bus-based, the metro light rail and subways have relatively limited coverage. And with a bus, you do run the risk of getting stuck in the same traffic jams that cars do. The other issue with public transit is because LA is such a car based culture, public transit is seen as supporting the needs of the poor who can't afford to drive, rather than as an alternative transit mode for everyone. You won't see as many of the professional middle class types using it for their daily commute to work the way you will in other cities.

The problem people have with asking locals what to do is we don't always know. We're mostly busy with our day to day lives, so we don't always know what the best things to take visitors to see are.

The train ride to San Diego is nice, but its not quite "all along the coast" as someone described, as you have to get through much of Orange County first. You do follow the coastline through much of south OC and most of San Diego county. If you do decide to go to San Diego, the train would be the way to go, especially if you're not renting a car. It's possible to fly, but it's not worth the extra hassle and expense for such a short flight (people flying between LAX and SAN are normally making connections at LAX).

One thing to do in SD that I haven't seen directly mentioned is to go to Balboa Park. The zoo is there, but there are also sever other interesting museums to visit a the park, including the aerospace museum which has a section on PSA.

Back in LA, the Queen Mary is worth a visit if you haven't been there, and not too hard to reach from LAX by public transit, mostly be metro rail.

And don't rule out Disneyland. It may not get the national marketing attention that Disney World gets, but Anaheim's park management has put a lot more focus into keeping things well maintained and investing in new attractions than their Orlando counterparts. It will always be the original Disney theme park, the only one that Walt himself enjoyed. And California Adventure doesn't suck anymore (seriously, if you only have time for one nighttime Disney show, skip the fireworks and Fantasmic and see DCA's World of Color). And don't think because you're in your 20s that you're "too old" for Disneyland.

romeobravo

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:44 pm

I believe the road is still closed and remains so, normally, until mid-April.

Oh my bad. It's easy for us limeys to forget other countries get cold from time to time too.

Braniff747SP

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 45):

Oh my bad. It's easy for us limeys to forget other countries get cold from time to time too.

One *could* go but as far as I know it's quite more of a drive.

And yes, even in SoCal we get snow.

jetmatt777

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 am

Amazing how dependent on vehicles some of us are. Cities used to be built for people, not cars. Shame that you can't get around using your own legs in most cities nowdays because they are built for cars. And we wonder about the ongoing epidemic of obesity and heart disease. We sit in our cars all day!
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Braniff747SP

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:13 am

Quoting jetmatt777 (Reply 47):
Shame that you can't get around using your own legs in most cities nowdays because they are built for cars.

They exist, but they are mostly in Europe. Which explains why there is a lot less of

Quoting jetmatt777 (Reply 47):
obesity and heart disease.

romeobravo

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 46):
One *could* go but as far as I know it's quite more of a drive.

I actually managed LA-Yosemite in a day fairly comfortably incidently. Then the next day i drove all the way to Vegas via Death Valley - that was a bit harder going. Then the day after all the way to Salton Sea via Hoover Dam, Mojave and Joshua Tree NPs.

I've been on some good road trips around the world including the Stelvio Pass as seen on top geear, but CA/NV is probably my favourite - mainly for the sheer variety.