AF1624
Topic Author

An Excellent (and Recent) Documentary On Dprk

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:23 pm

All,

Given the strong interest shown by many members of this forum on anything DPRK-related, I thought I'd share this documentary which I have found on Youtube about DPRK.

It's an independent and recent documentary made by a traveller that went to DPRK to see things for himself. I thought it was really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oULO3i5Xra0

Hope you like it.

[Edited 2013-04-04 06:08:36]
Cheers

CalebWilliams

RE: An Excellent (and Recent) Documentary On Dprk

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:39 pm

You may have wanted to put North Korea in the title, since I've never heard of the term DPRK before.
Caleb Williams MSP AUS STL AMS CPH LGW YYZ

ajd1992

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Quoting CalebWilliams (Reply 1):

You may have wanted to put North Korea in the title, since I've never heard of the term DPRK before

It's a pretty common way of naming North Korea. It stands for "Democratic People's Republic of Korea".

Either way I will be watching.

CalebWilliams

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 2):
It's a pretty common way of naming North Korea. It stands for "Democratic People's Republic of Korea".

I wonder then if this is more popular abroad. I've never heard it in the U.S.
Caleb Williams MSP AUS STL AMS CPH LGW YYZ

Braniff747SP

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Quoting CalebWilliams (Reply 3):
I wonder then if this is more popular abroad. I've never heard it in the U.S.

It is the correct term for North Korea. No such nation as NK.

I've heard it often in the United States.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

flanker

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:33 am

VICE also has a really cool documentary on DPRK

travelavnut

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:05 am

Great find! Thanks!

filler

filler
Live From Amsterdam!

PanHAM

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:13 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 4):

It is the official term, not the correct term. North Korea is not "democratic" and it is not a "People's Republic" ((Res Publica)). Korea is correct.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

zkojq

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:23 am

Watching now. Seems pretty good.  
Quoting flanker (Reply 5):
VICE also has a really cool documentary on DPRK

They also did a very good one on the DPRK's forced-labor camps in the forests of siberia (it brings in some hard currency for the dear leader).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awQDLoOnkdI

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 7):
North Korea is not "democratic" and it is not a "People's Republic" ((Res Publica)).

First to fly the 787-9

FighterPilot

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Watched both this doc and the one from VICE. Both very interesting and eye opening on how controlled the country is, not to mention how choreographed the tours are for westerners. I think when things simmer down in North Korea I just may go visit. That's if there is still a North Korea.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

falstaff

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 4):

I've heard it often in the United States.

I have seen in written as the DPRK in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and the Detroit Free Press.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

pvjin

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Great documentary, thanks for linking it.

It's interesting to think about all those vast areas of NK that haven't really seen any foreign travelers in ages if ever... After all these organized trips let people to go only to very limited amount of places.

If this current North Korean regime collapses within next 50 years or so or if the country at least starts to open up I would just love to go there and explore all those vast areas largely unknown for rest of the world... Who knows what one could find from there.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:00 pm

I won't say that there was anything truly surprising there, given what we've all read about the place.

But I have to say that the piece did a very good job humanizing the people of DPRK. That and those choreographed dances were pretty amazing.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

Braniff747SP

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 7):
not the correct term. North Korea is not "democratic" and it is not a "People's Republic" ((Res Publica)). Korea is correct.

How can it not be the correct term? That is the official (and recognized) name of the nation.

The words within are of no relevance when determining the true name; similarly to the PRC, the name of the nation is not necessarily representative of the actual state.

And, theoretically, a Communist state is the epitome of a "people's republic". In practice, though, this is certainly not the case.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

PanHAM

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:22 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 13):
How can it not be the correct term? That is the official (and recognized) name of the nation.

I give you another example, if you declare horse meat as beef, it is consumer fraud.

If you declare a feudal dictatorship as a democracy, it is fraud to the people of that country.

The official name is DPRK which stands for Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea.

Now, the country is not demoicratic, in contrary, it is a feudal dictatorship, it is not a people's republic, the people are actually suppressed by a single person., possibly a ruling junta of only a few people who can do anything at random, are not controlled by a free elected parliament nor by an independent justice system

The only correct word is Korea.

Some 20 years ago Germany was divided as well and the GDR (German Democratic republic) , which in German was "DDR" was the same it was actuallyit was not democratic, it was not a peoples republic but it was very German, in the bad, militaristic, heel clicking and authoritarian way.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

RussianJet

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 14):
The only correct word is Korea.

You're mixing up two different concepts. The description of the country, and the accuracy thereof as you or I see it, is of absolutely no consequence to the fact that the Official name for the country is the DPRK. Your own country has diplomatic ties with the DPRK. In any event - the obvious 'correct' name is the official one, not one we choose to give the country based on our own description of its principles or behaviour.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

WestJet747

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:51 am

Excellent documentary. Thanks for posting!

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 15):
You're mixing up two different concepts. The description of the country, and the accuracy thereof as you or I see it, is of absolutely no consequence to the fact that the Official name for the country is the DPRK. Your own country has diplomatic ties with the DPRK. In any event - the obvious 'correct' name is the official one, not one we choose to give the country based on our own description of its principles or behaviour.

Flying refined.

PanHAM

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:17 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 15):
Your own country has diplomatic ties with the DPRK. In any event - the obvious 'correct' name is the official one, not one we choose to give the country based on our own description of its principles or behaviour.

Germany has diplomatic relations with many countries that do not observe basic human rights. We are members of the UN where the majority of the members do not observe basic human rights.

If a feudal dictatorship calls itself democratic peoples republic it is nothing less than a blatant lie. The country is not democratic and it is not a res publica, whatever they call themselves. is that so difficult to understand?

The days when dictators could grab their loot and retire on the French Riviera are gone. If Kim survises an eventual uprising he will be put on trial, if not in Korea it will be in The Hague.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

mariner

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 17):
The days when dictators could grab their loot and retire on the French Riviera are gone.

When did they end?

In 2011, deposed President Ben Ali and his clan fled Tunisia, to a waiting fortune in foreign banks:

http://www.biyokulule.com/view_content.php?articleid=5041

The restitution of the illegal assets of the clan of the former Rais (president), especially those stashed away abroad, is coming up against problems of identification, localization, and legal procedure. The authorities consider that, to date, they have retrieved only a very small portion.

The total is a little more than $100 million, representing a trifle, when one knows that the fraudulent wealth accumulated by Ben Ali and his first circle over a period of 20 years amounts to several billion dollars. The 2008 Forbes classification of the world's largest fortunes indicated that Ben Ali was worth $5 billion. Some financial experts go as far as indicating that he was worth a total of $10 billion."

The Mubarak family didn't keep all their money in Egypt, and I doubt the Assad family keep their money in Syrian banks.

mariner
aeternum nauta

PanHAM

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:37 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 18):

When did they end?

When you call Saudi Arabia the French Riviera it did not. Of course can a dictator still flee to another dictatorship as long as they give him and his family shelter. However the first problem starts with having the money stashed in Switzerland, Luxemburg and the like, because the Government of Tunesia is the right owner of these accounts and they will get the title.

Part of Ben Ali's family lived in Munich and had property there. The Tunesian government claimed and got it, including the bank accounts and the Ben Ali's are tried for money laundering on top of it.

You can add a lot more names to your list, like Mugabe or the late Arafat and his family. The air gets thinner for all of them.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

mariner

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 19):
However the first problem starts with having the money stashed in Switzerland, Luxemburg and the like, because the Government of Tunesia is the right owner of these accounts and they will get the title.

As in the article above, they don't know where most of the money is. It goes far beyond SwItzerland and Luxembourg, far beyond European banking laws.

And - lest anyone should be feeling smug - it goes far beyond a few dictators:

http://www.euronews.com/2013/04/05/o...how-secret-rich-covers-were-blown/

"The few hiding money in offshore banks from the many who do not have the luxury…

This is a story the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, based in Washington, wants the world to know. That is why it has gone global with the first instalment of what it says is more than 260 gigabytes of data. In it are details of companies, trusts, intermediaries and the people who benefit.

Among some of the well-known identified are: a Philippino dictator’s daughter, a Spanish art baroness, the businessman-prime minister of Georgia, an Iranian shipping magnate and the ex-wife of a US commodities trader presidentially pardoned for tax evasion.

Then there is a member of France’s political elite, the wife of Russia’s deputy prime minister, the husband of a Canadian Senator, a former finance minister of Mongolia and the daughters of Azerbaijan’s head of state. The names come from more than 170 countries and territories. The British Virgin Islands, the Cook Islands, Singapore, Cyprus – the multi-gigabyte scoop shows a booming tax haven industry selling secrecy to the extremely wealthy."

Money cleaves to money.

mariner
aeternum nauta

PanHAM

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:20 am

Well, mariner, that could be true and as I have said earlier, the vast majority of the UN members are not legitimate holders of power as they have not been endorsed by their people in free elections. That covers all what you say.

Whoever copied that hard disc full of information will have to seek for a good hiding place and the journalsist who have a copy said already that they will not release data to governments. I can understand that. The problem for them is not the wealthy guy who tries to escape some high taxation in his home country. The real problem are those countries where the owners of embezzled fortunes can ask their aide to instruct the service in charge to take care of a certain individual. .
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

zkojq

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 am

Its rather sad how at the end of all these DPRK documentaries the creators get off the aircraft in Beijing and comment on how comparatively free China is.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 19):
However the first problem starts with having the money stashed in Switzerland, Luxemburg and the like, because the Government of Tunesia is the right owner of these accounts and they will get the title.

In the case of the Kims it is Macau.
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/..._dir/2013/03/11/2013031101105.html

If a feudal dictatorship calls itself democratic peoples republic it is nothing less than a blatant lie.

Agreed. If anything, having the word 'democratic' in its name usually signifies that a country doesn't hold fair/free elections. Examples include the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of Vietnam, Democratic Republic of Afghanistan, German Democratic Republic etc.
First to fly the 787-9

RussianJet

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:36 pm

If a feudal dictatorship calls itself democratic peoples republic it is nothing less than a blatant lie. The country is not democratic and it is not a res publica, whatever they call themselves. is that so difficult to understand?

The days when dictators could grab their loot and retire on the French Riviera are gone. If Kim survises an eventual uprising he will be put on trial, if not in Korea it will be in The Hague.

I dispute none of that. The problem is, it doesn't change the official name.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈