Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

AR385
Topic Author

Breaking: Three Women, Missing Ten Years, Found.

Tue May 07, 2013 7:41 am

http://us.cnn.com/2013/05/07/us/ohio...g-women-found/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

They disappeared, one at 21, another at 17 and another at 14. Apparently one has given birth in captivity to a three year old girl.

I just don´t get why this keeps happening. It seems they were kept by three brothers in their 50s. The neighbors say the usual: "I could have never imagined", "No, he seemed like he would have never hurt anyone" etc. And for more than a decade, three girls were kept inside their house against their will.

They seem to be in good health.

I hope this is not a hoax. But I´d hate to imagine how many more "missing" teens or kids are in this same situation right now. Big fail on Cleveland police, if you ask me.

flyingturtle

RE: Breaking: Three Women, Missing Ten Years, Found.

Tue May 07, 2013 8:21 am

Quoting AR385 (Thread starter):
I hope this is not a hoax. But I´d hate to imagine how many more "missing" teens or kids are in this same situation right now. Big fail on Cleveland police, if you ask me.

But it's the reality. There is a film, "Last House on the Left", from the 1970ies. Although the content is garish and brutal, it's completely possible that a thing like this can happen. The film shows how, including incompetent policemen.

Anybody with a large enough home to build something like a prison and a mind-boggling craziness in his brain can keep people in the cellar, with nobody noticing. Where'd you go to look for a missing person? One can't violate the privacy of thousands of homes just for the sake of finding somebody. There has to be a probable cause.

Another thing would be if the police hasn't followed a lead when the girls were abducted. This would be inexcusable.

The neighbors say the usual: "I could have never imagined", "No, he seemed like he would have never hurt anyone" etc. And for more than a decade, three girls were kept inside their house against their will.

Otherwise, these three brothers couldn't have pulled that off. To keep such a thing secret for ten years takes a great deal of showmanship. You can't do this if you don't know how to play Mr. Nice Guy with absolute conviction. Add to this the probability of flat-out denial: The neighbours say the hadn't a clue in order to avoid feeling guilty.

But at the moment, the facts are scarce. And I wonder how this will turn out.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

zkojq

Tue May 07, 2013 10:54 am

Nice to have some very good news, rather than the political sparring that has been going on in the non-av forum lately. Imagine how overjoyed the various parents and siblings will be. A decade with no closure will have been hell for the families. The men who kidnapped deserve solitary confinement for the rest of their days.

They seem to be in good health.

Psychologically, I assume that a decade of near-solitary confinement will have done them plenty of harm. I hope their reintegration into society goes smoothly.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 1):
Anybody with a large enough home to build something like a prison and a mind-boggling craziness in his brain can keep people in the cellar, with nobody noticing.

Sadly yes.
First to fly the 787-9

ltbewr

Tue May 07, 2013 11:40 am

One has to wonder how many 1000's of women and men are in such captivity, including sexual slavery, in just the USA alone, unable to leave their captives due to physical and mental abuse. It also shows how all but a few Americans really know or want to know their neighbors, respecting 'privacy' but ignoring signs of abuse.

These women who have been captives may never be able to live a 'normal' life. Their lives were ruined by some sick bastards. It also suggests we need to improve education of children and teens to reduce their risks of becoming captives and if end up being so, they must always try to escape, no matter how much the risk.

fr8mech

Tue May 07, 2013 1:38 pm

Anybody with a large enough home to build something like a prison and a mind-boggling craziness in his brain can keep people in the cellar, with nobody noticing.

Wasn't there someone in Europe (Germany, maybe?) a couple of years ago that held someone captive for several years and fathered some kids? I really don't think it takes a very large home. Just a couple of modifications...blacked-out windows, a basement door that locks, etc.

One can't violate the privacy of thousands of homes just for the sake of finding somebody. There has to be a probable cause

It was done in Boston, wasn't it?

To keep such a thing secret for ten years takes a great deal of showmanship.

Apparently, according to this article the owner of the house was a charismatic guy that interacted with the community. I would have thought that would have not have been in the "profile" of someone that has a long-term kidnap victim(s) in his home. I would have suspected we would be hearing about how quiet the guy is and how no one sees him, etc.

I guess we all need to remember that we do hold some responsibility for what goes on around us and we do need to pay attention. How many of us would notice? A telling quotation from the article I cited:

"I feel ashamed of myself and my community right now and this neighborhood that we didn't see anything."

I wonder what there was to see.

Quoting zkojq (Reply 2):
Psychologically, I assume that a decade of near-solitary confinement will have done them plenty of harm. I hope their reintegration into society goes smoothly.

I'm very impressed with the one that escaped. She kept her wits about herself and seized the opportunity to escape. My guess is that many folks that are in this sort of position aren't capable of making that decision anymore.

Hopefully, they can re-enter society without significant long-term psychological issues.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

na

Tue May 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Incredible. 3 women locked up, and those men certainly often not there because they had to work, or if, maybe just one was there often. And in 10 years three women together dont find a moment to overwhelm one man, dont make noise, nothing? There is more to the story I believe.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 3):
One has to wonder how many 1000's of women and men are in such captivity, including sexual slavery, in just the USA alone, unable to leave their captives due to physical and mental abuse.

Thousands I doubt, but hundreds, likely, yes, I think that is so. Very sad.

It also shows how all but a few Americans really know or want to know their neighbors, respecting 'privacy' but ignoring signs of abuse.

How would you know a neighbour who is not very sympathetic and who never invites you to his/her house? A few years ago a neighbour of mine died of hunger (cant have been money issues, and she had a daughter living in the same area of town). Only thing I can say is she wasnt a sympathetic woman, and I saw her very rarely.

AeroWesty

Tue May 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Incredible story. NBC interviewed a next door neighbor who's lived there for years said that he thought the house was vacant. He also heard screams from the area a few years ago, but didn't know what kind of screams they were, or which direction they were coming from. Weird to hear that since another neighbor yesterday was saying that the guy was a regular Joe who he'd had barbecues with.
International Homo of Mystery

fr8mech

Tue May 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Quoting na (Reply 5):
There is more to the story I believe.

Of course there is more to the story, but do you really think it is difficult to manage 3 women that have been in captivity for an extended time period? I suspect it was difficult at first, but, it probably got easier as time went on. I'm not saying easy to deal with them, but not very difficult given the right conditions.

I'd like to learn more about the conditions of the captivity.

Quoting na (Reply 5):
How would you know a neighbour who is not very sympathetic and who never invites you to his/her house?

But, according to the neighbors, this was not the case.

An interesting profile, that I suspect may change the way the FBI profiles these guys.

neutrino

Tue May 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Sadly, such cases have been happening and will continue to happen. For every abduction/long confinement that came to light, there are multiple others that will remain in the dark.      
Here's an example that is extreme in number of victims by one man, I mean beast:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-dungeon-forced-fight-death.html
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

garnetpalmetto

Tue May 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 4):

Wasn't there someone in Europe (Germany, maybe?) a couple of years ago that held someone captive for several years and fathered some kids? I really don't think it takes a very large home. Just a couple of modifications...blacked-out windows, a basement door that locks, etc.

Austria, actually. It was a father who had imprisoned his own daughter, systematically raped her and she had multiple children by him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzl_case
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

vikkyvik

Tue May 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Ha! I was waiting for it.

Anyway, did the police/FBI force their way into homes in the Boston area? Or did they ask for cooperation, and happen to receive it from a majority of people?

That's an honest question, by the way - I don't know the answer.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Aesma

Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Quoting zkojq (Reply 2):

Well I don't think they were solitary, at least not after the second one was taken. Not sure if it will end up as a "good" thing or not. I'm also surprised they couldn't manage an escape before, but on the other hand it was also three captors and not one, so if one makes a mistake another can catch it. The relationship between the captors will surely be studied, especially considering they're alive so can be questioned/interviewed.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

fr8mech

Tue May 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 10):
Anyway, did the police/FBI force their way into homes in the Boston area? Or did they ask for cooperation, and happen to receive it from a majority of people?

That's an honest question, by the way - I don't know the answer.

I don't have that answer either. But, that's a thread for another time....

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 9):
Austria, actually. It was a father who had imprisoned his own daughter, systematically raped her and she had multiple children by him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzl_case

Yup, that's the one.
I just heard on the news that another long-term captive (18 years in CA, I think) was interviewed about what these women have been going through or will be going through...unfortunately, it was just a "top of the hour" news snippet. Not a whole lot of information.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 11):
. I'm also surprised they couldn't manage an escape before

Any chance that Stockholm Syndrome had set in with at least one of the victims?

Unfortunately, I feel that we won't get very many answers and in the microwave, "sound-bite", instant gratification world we live in, this will fade away into the past until the made-for-TV movie comes out.

Kiwirob

Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Apparently one has given birth in captivity to a three year old girl.

Now that would be fantastic if you could give birth to a 3 year old, no sleepless nights would be awesome.

AR385
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 12):

That´s usually how control sets it and makes the relationship captor-captive easier. They´ll have massive Stockholm Syndrome, and that´s also one of the more difficult things thrapists have to deal with in these type of victims.

garnetpalmetto

Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm

I recall hearing an interview with Elizabeth Smart (the young girl in Utah who was kidnapped and kept as a second wife by a mentally disturbed street preacher and raped daily) that part of her thinking as to why she didn't escape and gave up hope was that she felt nobody would want her afterwards and this was partially enforced by sex ed in her schools where she was taught that once a girl's lost her virginity she's like a piece of gum that's already been chewed. Her life was already over, to her thinking, so what was the point in resisting?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Maverick623

Tue May 07, 2013 6:18 pm

One can't violate the privacy of thousands of homes just for the sake of finding somebody. There has to be a probable cause.

And yet it's happened twice in the last year.

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 15):

I recall hearing an interview with Elizabeth Smart (the young girl in Utah who was kidnapped and kept as a second wife by a mentally disturbed street preacher and raped daily) that part of her thinking as to why she didn't escape and gave up hope was that she felt nobody would want her afterwards and this was partially enforced by sex ed in her schools where she was taught that once a girl's lost her virginity she's like a piece of gum that's already been chewed. Her life was already over, to her thinking, so what was the point in resisting?

There are common factors that play into the victim's mindset, but each person has their own reasons. I doubt these girls (now women) were brainwashed by the Mormon church.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Tugger

Tue May 07, 2013 6:20 pm

The neighbor who helped free them, who initially responded to Amanda's screams for help, is an interesting, very normal guy.
Charles Ramsey works as a dishwasher and had just sat down to eat his "McDonald's" when he heard her and responded. Good dude.

Quote:
"I'm eating my McDonald's, I come outside, and I see this girl going nuts, trying to get out of the house," he told CNN affiliate WEWS in an interview watched around the world.

"I got on the porch and she said, 'Help me get out. I've been here a long time." I figured it was a domestic violence dispute. So I open the door. And we can't get in that way 'cause of how the door is, it's so much that a body can't fit through; only your hand."

He and a man named Angel Cordero broke down the door, WEWS reported.

"We kicked the bottom. And she comes out with a little girl and she says 'Call 911. My name is Amanda Berry."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/07/us/ohio-cleveland-ramsey/index.html

I love this line he said:

Quote:
He added, "I knew something was wrong when a little, pretty white girl ran into a black man's arms. Something is wrong here. Dead giveaway."

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

BMI727

Tue May 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 17):
Charles Ramsey

He needs a talk show.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

northstardc4m

Tue May 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Unfortunately predators of various kinds are a fact in human psychology, be they cases like this, sociopathic serial killers, sex addicts or any of thousands and thousands of issues that are present and in many cases not or not properly diagnosed.

The only difference now is that in our society it has become a worldwide publicized affair, rather than much more limited local exposure of past times.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Aesma

Tue May 07, 2013 7:37 pm

That's pretty certain, but that doesn't in itself prevent an escape. You might like or even love your captor, it doesn't make you like living in a basement.

Quote:
He added, "I knew something was wrong when a little, pretty white girl ran into a black man's arms. Something is wrong here. Dead giveaway."

Well I'm not sure you should love it, it's pretty sad.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

scbriml

Tue May 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Quoting northstardc4m (Reply 19):
Unfortunately predators of various kinds are a fact in human psychology

Tell us about it. It seems every male TV start that I grew up with as a kid is now being charged with or admitting to strings of sexual attacks on girls and young women.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

DeltaMD90

Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Big fail on Cleveland police, if you ask me.

How so?? Real life isn't like TV, there are a ton of unsolved cases. In every Walmart I've been to, there are bulletins of missing children up on walls by the entrance. Kids go missing all the time, many are killed and disposed of without being found, and there probably are hundreds of kids locked up all throughout the US

respecting 'privacy' but ignoring signs of abuse.

Who says anyone ignored signs of abuse? I don't ever really interact with my neighbors much, and I'm pretty sure the captors weren't always walking in and out of the house with duct tape and ropes. Tell me, what is a "sign of abuse" that you could spot of a neighbor you never really interact with?

Tugger

Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Quoting neutrino (Reply 8):
Here's an example that is extreme in number of victims by one man, I mean beast:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html

Creepy, and it includes an element of why all that "free online pron" isn't ....

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 18):
He needs a talk show.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 20):
Well I'm not sure you should love it, it's pretty sad.

You might be misinterpreting my "love". It may be a somewhat sad bit of refreshing honesty but it is a real comment and not some whitewashed (see what I did there?) bit of pablum.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

BMI727

Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 23):

I want to put Ramsey and Uncle Ruslan in front of a camera and just let them go. AJ Clemente can be their travelling correspondent.

MD11Engineer

Tue May 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Mr. Ramsey acted like a real man should: Decisive when required and in protection of the weak. Kudos to him.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

flyingturtle

Tue May 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Mr. Fritzl. The other one was Mr. Priklopil, who had captured Natascha Kampusch.

In the aftermath of the bombing? Yes, there was both probable cause and even more: Imminent danger.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 16):
And yet it's happened twice in the last year.

I don't know, for I can't follow U.S. news that close. In fact, I get most U.S.-related news here on that forum.  
I guess we all need to remember that we do hold some responsibility for what goes on around us and we do need to pay attention. How many of us would notice?

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

fr8mech

Tue May 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 26):
In the aftermath of the bombing? Yes, there was both probable cause and even more: Imminent danger.

Probable cause to enter and search every home? I suspect not. But, again, another thread for another time.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 25):
Mr. Ramsey acted like a real man should: Decisive when required and in protection of the weak. Kudos to him

Yes. This man did not hesitate. He got help and did what many folks, I suspect, may not have done...booted in a door of a private residence. How many would have called and waited for the police? How many would have walked away?

Quoting Aesma (Reply 20):
That's pretty certain, but that doesn't in itself prevent an escape. You might like or even love your captor, it doesn't make you like living in a basement.

No, but it certainly will hamper any thoughts or attempts at violent action.

I'm just trying to get into the mind(s) of the captive a little. To me (at least I like to think) constant , active resistance would be the order of the day. The man would not be able to sleep for fear that I had gotten free.

ltbewr

Wed May 08, 2013 12:45 am

In these and other captive criminals, they have to deeply mentally ill as well as taught not to respect or treat women right. These men were preditors, and we need to figure out why so many men (and some women) become such monsters. That is the real problem.

PHX787

Wed May 08, 2013 2:22 pm

This whole story is heartwarming, and Charles is one of those classic guys who is going to probably be this year's black-guy-on-the-news meme, following the likes of Antoine Dodson (run and tell that) and Sweet Brown (Ain't nobody got time for that!)

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 18):
Charles Ramsey

He needs a talk show.

Black people interviewed on the news are hilarious.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

zkojq

Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Apparently the women were restrained with ropes and chains during their time being held captive. Sickening - well even more so than before.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22453361

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 29):
following the likes of Antoine Dodson (run and tell that) and Sweet Brown (Ain't nobody got time for that!)

Don't forget the 'reality hits you hard bro' guy.  Wink

[Edited 2013-05-08 07:42:44]
First to fly the 787-9

Revelation

Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Quote:

Tugg

"Dead Giveway" is now the hook of a rap video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZcRU0Op5P4

Going viral as we speak...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

fr8mech

Wed May 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 31):

Freaking awesome.

Quoting zkojq (Reply 30):
Apparently the women were restrained with ropes and chains during their time being held captive. Sickening - well even more so than before.

The media is calling this a "disturbing find". Really? This was unexpected? How else do you control and restrain 3 people for a decade? Asking nicely?

BMI727

Wed May 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 29):
Black people interviewed on the news are hilarious.

I like when he says "Either she homeless, or she got problems" as if being homeless isn't a problem.

KaiGywer

Wed May 08, 2013 11:32 pm

How so? If even the neighbors didn't know they were there, how were the cops supposed to know??

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Aesma

Thu May 09, 2013 1:26 am

So I was reading the very informative (hum) DailyMail and they mention neighbors seeing three girls naked and on all-fours with dog leashes, having called the cops, and nothing happening. Is this talked about in the US media ?

cptkrell

Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 am

Aesma (Rep 35); "Is this talked about (3 naked girls on leashes) in the US media?"

I heard on Fox (horrors...horrors) that at least one girl was observed as such, reported to police, and there was no determination by authorities that anything was wrong.

Also, as per maybe unsubstantied reporting (local Cleveland TV, IIRC), another requested police response for another incident got no answer from a knock on the door. They observed the house windows where covered by "plastic" such as a film or opaque shopping bags, but no further follow-up occurred. I hope neither case is true. It would be really bad marks for the authorities.

I lived in Cleveland for a couple of years (looong time ago)...still trying to determine exactly where this area is. Guess I'll have to Google. regards...jack
all best; jack

zkojq

Thu May 09, 2013 8:34 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 32):
How else do you control and restrain 3 people for a decade? Asking nicely?

I thought the assumption was that they were imprisoned in some kind of cell.
First to fly the 787-9

NAV20

Thu May 09, 2013 10:28 am

Quoting zkojq (Reply 37):
I thought the assumption was that they were imprisoned in some kind of cell.

I gather that they were locked in the basement - and shackled or tied up pretty well all the time.

I've read about plenty of very cruel cases of 'unlawful detainment.' And also (when I was in the army) encountered a couple in real life.

But I've never, in my life, ever before come across anything as fiendishly cruel as this...........

Just hope the guys who did it get life without parole. I reckon that, if they left me alone in a cell with these 'four-letter' people, with a pistol, I'd be hard-pressed to stop myself shooting the lot of them........

[Edited 2013-05-09 03:29:56]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

scbriml

Thu May 09, 2013 11:32 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 38):
Just hope the guys who did it get life without parole.

Well, from the latest news, it appears to be just Ariel's doing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22461506

Quote:
The police detained two of Mr Castro's brothers, but later said they appeared to have no involvement in the crime.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Revelation

Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 38):
But I've never, in my life, ever before come across anything as fiendishly cruel as this...........

The case in Austria where the dude did the same horrible things to his own daughter, including impregnating her, strikes me as being as cruel or worse.

These women in the US knew that what was happening was wrong, so that probably made it harder to endure, but hopefully it makes it easier for them to recover.

The woman in Austria had her entire life up to that point ruined and never knew what it was like to have a day of normal childhood, so has to figure out from scratch what a normal life is like.

Lord knows which is worse, they both suck.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

fr8mech

Thu May 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 35):
So I was reading the very informative (hum) DailyMail and they mention neighbors seeing three girls naked and on all-fours with dog leashes, having called the cops, and nothing happening. Is this talked about in the US media ?

The report is that the a neighbor reported seeing a nude woman in the backyard. The police report that they have no record of any call being made in regards to this, but they are still investigating this.

By the way, it appears to be a fairly common occurrence for people to suddenly "remember" reporting something when this kind of situation occurs; at least according to some psychologist (or maybe psychiatrist) I heard interviewed this AM. It's a mechanism to assuage any guilt they may feel for not noticing anything...or not acting on disjointed, out-of-the-norm observances.

AeroWesty

Thu May 09, 2013 4:17 pm

This is one screwed up family. I came across this while scanning the headlines this morning:

Cleveland suspect's daughter in prison for slashing baby's throat

Quote:
The daughter of Ariel Castro, the primary suspect in the abduction of three women found alive this week, is serving a 25-year sentence in an Indiana prison for the attempted murder of her baby six years ago.

Emily Castro was sentenced to 30 years with five years suspended. A judge found Castro guilty but mentally ill of cutting her 11-month-old daughter four times on the neck in April 2007.
International Homo of Mystery

Superfly

Thu May 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Kudos to Charles Ramsey!   
This story is so shocking and horrible to read about. Yet it all came to a happy ending.
I wonder if Charles Ramsey will get an invite from President Obama to attend the next State Of The Union address.
Charles Ramsey has done more to stop the 'war on women' than any politician.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 41):
The report is that the a neighbor reported seeing a nude woman in the backyard. The police report that they have no record of any call being made in regards to this,

If I saw a naked lady in her backyard, I wouldn't call the cops either.
I would just assume she was an exhibitionist.

Can't blame this one on the Cleveland cops.
Bring back the Concorde

SoJo

Thu May 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 39):
Well, from the latest news, it appears to be just Ariel's doing.

I'm at a loss here. They share the same house but....

The police detained two of Mr Castro's brothers, Pedro and Onil, but later said they appeared to have no involvement in the crime.

On Thursday they appeared in court on unrelated charges. Pedro Castro pleaded no contest to a public drinking charge and was fined $100, while two charges against Onil Castro, including a drug charge, were dropped.

So the one caught drinking gets fined whilst the other gets the two charges dropped. Have they bubbled their brother and got off lightly?
RAF Abingdon 1967. I met Beverley from Blackburn. Fantastic!

Aesma

Thu May 09, 2013 6:52 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 42):
This is one screwed up family. I came across this while scanning the headlines this morning:

Cleveland suspect's daughter in prison for slashing baby's throat

Screwed up indeed, although I don't really understand the 30 years sentence if she's deemed mentally ill.

canoecarrier

Thu May 09, 2013 7:48 pm

The Gregory Brothers autotune a lot of news stories like this. I don't think I'd call it rap, but they were the first people I thought of after I saw the interview in Cleveland. It was only a matter of time before they released a video. They're youtube channel is here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/schmoyoho

Wasn't there someone in Europe (Germany, maybe?) a couple of years ago that held someone captive for several years and fathered some kids?

I don't think this is in any way limited to the US. In France there was a woman held for 28 years who gave birth to 6 kids in a similar situation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Gouardo

Quoting SoJo (Reply 44):
I'm at a loss here. They share the same house but....

They didn't share the same house.

Glad they found these young women.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

ltbewr

Fri May 10, 2013 1:08 am

Sadly the 3 woman and the child of rape of the one woman, are captives again, trapped in their family homes due to the hounding of the media outside them. Go away media, give them their privacy. The women and their families should ask for a gag order on everyone in the case to not feed the press under penalty of jail time for invading their privacy and hurting the ability of conviction of the alleged criminal.

I am not happy with the police, trying to look better by all these press conferences and leaks of what happened to these women. You all failed to do your job for years.

Then there is the chief Prosecutor who is threatening a book of charges including seeking the death penalty for Castro for his allegedly killing the developing human life in the wombs of the women he held captive. This guy is milking all the publicity he can get from what will be the biggest case he will ever see in his career, probably to run for higher office from it. He is going to likely severely overcharge, something unnecessary but for future votes.

kiwiinoz

Fri May 10, 2013 1:23 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 47):
Sadly the 3 woman and the child of rape of the one woman, are captives again, trapped in their family homes due to the hounding of the media outside them. Go away media, give them their privacy. The women and their families should ask for a gag order on everyone in the case to not feed the press under penalty of jail time for invading their privacy and hurting the ability of conviction of the alleged criminal.

To be fair the families should stop talking to the media. Issue a written statement and jump on a plane to the middle of nowhere for a month

Aesma

Fri May 10, 2013 11:15 am

Ah, I just saw the litany of charges (well, a teaser) on euronews, something I mentioned in another thread. Seeking the death penalty seems really stupid, think of the several other people right now that also have prisoners in their basement (you know there are others), they're already planning to kill and get rid of them, now.