Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stasisLAX
Topic Author

World's Best Seller - 2014 Toyota Corolla Unveiled

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:31 am

2014 Toyota Corolla sedan (official Toyota photo)

The Toyota Corolla is the world's best selling car, selling almost 300,000 units here in the United States in 2012. The Corolla is sold in over 150 countries and assembled in 16 different assembly plants worldwide according to Toyota,

The wheelbase of the 2014 Corolla has been extended by 4 inches; the overall length of the vehicle by 3 inches. The wheelbase stretch should equate to more rear seat legroom, something that the Corolla's American competitors (Chevy Cruze and Ford Focus) are quite short of. LED lighting is also standard across all CorTlla models, allowing for lighter weight headlights.

The Corolla's last generation copied the Toyota Camry's generic styling. this new-generation seems to many to copy the brand new Toyota Avalon's design language. The Avalon influence is said to continue on the inside of the new Corolla with a dashboard that almost exactly mimics the Avalon. At any rate, any attempt at styling excitement is a good thing on the normally sedate Corolla.

All Corollas will feature Bluetooth, pollen filters, and power-operated features like locks, mirrors, and windows as standard. A center touchscreen accesses Toyota's Entune infotainment system on higher trim levels. Toyota also focused on reducing interior noise levels with thicker glass and more sound-deadening materials.

The Corolla comes with two 1.8-liter engines. A 1.8-liter all-aluminum four produces 132 horsepower on L, LE and S trims. An "Eco" model features a 140 horsepower version of this motor. The base L model gets a choice of an ancient (but cheap) four-speed automatic or a six-speed manual transmission. The other three trim levels will feature a brand-new continuously variable transmission. No pricing information has been released, but given the competitive nature of the compact sedan market, pricing should be similar to the current Corolla models.

Source and more photos: http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...irst-look-20130606,0,4533354.story
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

AeroWesty

RE: World's Best Seller - 2014 Toyota Corolla Unveiled

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:52 am

Do people really like this trend towards jagged edges and black wheels in car design? I'm not finding it looks all that nice. A friend has an old beater Acura as a second car, and he spray painted the wheels black. It looked so ridiculous, he spent a whole weekend scraping it off.

I'm glad to see heated front seats come to more and more cars—I want to kiss the feet of the guy who invented butt warmers in cars.
International Homo of Mystery

Jetsgo

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:04 am

I've never been a fan of the Corolla, but wow this looks terrible.

In fact, I'd say it looks pretty similar to the Dodge Dart:

Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

BMI727

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:26 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
I'm not finding it looks all that nice.

Same here. The new Corolla takes a number of cues from their Toyobarus (GT86 around the world, but Scion FR-S to us Americans). Suffice to say it doesn't quite work. I suspect the picture is of one of the "grounded to the ground" trim levels. The one with the stuff that guys like, like rims. (What guy doesn't like a good Corolla?)

In general, I like the black wheels though. Depending on the rest of the style, they can be a key part of a murdered out look, a subtle cue suggesting athleticism and sporting pedigree (I admit to often being a sucker for the slightly unfinished prototype look), or a really cool contrast piece without resorting to silly graphics.

That said, this Corolla has what would be called "diamond cut" wheels where the process is, to truly be diamond cut anyway, painting the surface and then machining the face of the wheel to leave the outermost portions of it shiny. I'm not sure that all wheels with this look are treated this way, quite possibly not these since they will produced in fairly large numbers, but that's beside the point. That said, this look is also quite attractive in some cases. I'd point you to the refreshed Lamborhini Gallardo and McLaren MP4-12C. This sort of look is good for when you want some bling, but nothing over the top and particularly can be useful to tone down large diameter rims. Imagine having to wear as much jewelry as Mr. T., but not wanting to look like him so you'd make some of the chains not stand out.

Here's a few pics to underscore my points:
Murdered out 911:
http://www.zeroto60times.com/blog/wp...2012/07/Black-Murdered-Out-Car.jpg

Silver 911 with black wheels:
http://www.porsche-mania.com/wp-cont...porsche-997-turbo-wallpaper_01.jpg

Verde Ithaca Lamborghini using black wheels for awesome contrast, almost anti-bling:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2024/2456105454_29bf0c8a3e.jpg

McLaren 12C with diamond cut wheels:
http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/20...front-three-quarter-doors-open.jpg

Facelifted Gallardo with diamond cut wheels:
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Aaron747

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:50 am

Snore. I have seen some Toyota concept vehicles locally over the last two years that are really something, but they obviously don't have the gumption to bring them to market.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Kiwirob

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:09 am

We've had the Auris (5 door Corolla hatch) in Europe since last year. I think the hatch is better looking.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/Toyota_Auris_1.33_Dual-VVT-i_Start_Edition_%28II%29_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht%2C_11._Februar_2013%2C_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg/800px-Toyota_Auris_1.33_Dual-VVT-i_Start_Edition_%28II%29_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht%2C_11._Februar_2013%2C_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

Aesma

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Yeah, just to be clear, the Corolla is like 10 different cars, fortunately we don't get the butt ugly US models here in Europe. In fact we haven't got a car named Corolla since 5 or 10 years.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

KaiGywer

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm sure a ton will be sitting on rental car lots, just like today. Had one as a rental, and while the car drove just fine, it was nothing compared to my wife's brand new Ford Focus when it came to comfort and equipment.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Airstud

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:00 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 6):
we don't get the butt ugly US models

I drive a 2012 Corolla LE. I didn't sign the lease for its looks, to be sure, but I don't think it's at all ugly.
Pancakes are delicious.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:19 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 5):
We've had the Auris (5 door Corolla hatch) in Europe since last year. I think the hatch is better looking.

It appears that the Toyota Matrix will be discontinued in the U.S. (although it may still be sold in Canada where it's somewhat popular) so if the Matrix is killed off, perhaps Toyota will sell the Auris in the USA in the near future.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Kiwirob

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:18 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 9):
perhaps Toyota will sell the Auris in the USA in the near future.

FYI the Auris is still called the Corolla in New Zealand and Australia, they refused to follow Toyota's rebranding.

qf002

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:10 am

And the slightly different European version:

RyanairGuru

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 11):
the slightly different European version

And that, folks, is how you become the biggest in the world!

At first I was like "other than the grill what's different", but peer closely and the styling is, for want of a better term, "subtly American" or "subtly European". They are differentiated, and comparing the North American version to US design trends and the European version to a generic Euro sedan, you can pick up on just how much Toyota have thought about this.

qf002, do we have the European model here? Or it something different again?

Having just sold a Corolla last weekend (terrible car, although it was a 98 build so pretty long in the tooth) I have no intention of going near one again, but kudos for Toyota nonetheless!

(although I thought the Ford Focus was the world best seller?)
Worked Hard, Flew Right

cptkrell

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:45 pm

I think I've opined in a couple of previous topics...I don't really like cars with "smiley faces" or "angry faces", this sample being of the latter in my opinion.

After some searching, I believe this type of angry lower grille opening styling reminds me of, subconsciously at least, of the face of the predator in Arnold's (terrific) movie of the same name. regards...jack
all best; jack

Ken777

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:31 pm

We have owned several Corollas in the past (as well as a couple of Caronas) and this one does nothing for me. Might be the purple color, which is a turn off for a lot of people - including me. A nice silver (as shown in Reply 5) or the white in Reply 11 does far more to show off the car instead of raising a gag factor.

The Corollas we have owned have been blah in terms of styling, but have been pretty durable - except for the last one which needed a new engine at under 75K miles.

There was some point in the early to mid 90s where Toyota stripped a lot of quality out of the car and cut the price around $1,500. Same with the Camry. A lot of those "missing features" are now used to sell the Lexus. My daughter had one of those pre-stripped Colollas and, after being rear-ended at a stop light had to get a post-stripped Corolla. Her comments about that second Corolla were enough to make this ex-sailor blush. She now drives a Golf, if that is an indication of her abandonment of the Toyota brand.

GuitrThree

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Please tell me how the new Corolla looks better than this new Sentra:

That, my friends, is a sweet compact. Unlike the Corolla, which, like someone already said, looks like a Dart...

[Edited 2013-06-09 14:28:36]
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

L410Turbolet

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 6):
Yeah, just to be clear, the Corolla is like 10 different cars, fortunately we don't get the butt ugly US models here in Europe. In fact we haven't got a car named Corolla since 5 or 10 years.

It wasn't smart move to ditch the iconic Corolla name to begin with, a name that has a longer tradiotion than VW's Golf. The other thing is that Toyotas are hardly bought because of the way they look.
That being said, the purple color is just horrible and those wheels plain ugly

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 15):
Please tell me how the new Corolla looks better than this new Sentra:

The Euro version of Corolla does look better than the Sentra imho

GuitrThree

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:43 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 16):

The Euro version of Corolla does look better than the Sentra imho

I would take either over that American Dodge Dart Version. Yes, Euro looks very good. And it looks like a smaller Camry. Which it should, just like the Sentra looks like a smaller Altima.

zippyjet

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:54 am

The Corolla needed a change in design. The last few generations looked too generic. This latest version gives me mixed feelings. It reminds me of the first generation Prius whihc I actually think is better looking than the fugly plumper Hello Kitty versions of Generation 2 and 3. Back to this Corolla. It also reminds me of the early Corollas which were econo-boxes. I wish Toyota woulde revive the sporty 2 door fun to drive sporty coupes in the Corolla family. This model actually looks smaller than the Corolla it replaces.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:39 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 18):
I wish Toyota woulde revive the sporty 2 door fun to drive sporty coupes in the Corolla family. This model actually looks smaller than the Corolla it replaces.

Might be nice, yes. But I think that will never happen, as that would be fratricidal to Scion sales. From what I understand, it is for that same reason that there is no more Celica in the NA market.
It’s perfectly natural to be surprised by something coming at you faster than light. You’d never see it coming anyway. . .

Aesma

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:59 pm

Let's say that in (Western) Europe we don't buy much sedans anymore, and the ones we buy are mostly German and relatively large. There is no such thing (that could sell) as a "compact sedan", if you want a compact car you buy either a hatchback or a mini-MPV. In Eastern Europe, North Africa, Asia, etc., a sedan is the norm, even if the car is very small, so you often see hatchbacks like the Peugeot 206/207 and Renault Clio 2/3 being butchered to add an horrible boot, but well, it works.

The only sedan Toyota offers here is the Avensis, and it is designed right here in France. Not that it's really appealing since it's still a world car, even being exported to Japan, but at least it doesn't hurt the eye.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 18):
I wish Toyota woulde revive the sporty 2 door fun to drive sporty coupes in the Corolla family. This model actually looks smaller than the Corolla it replaces.

Like the RWD Levin and Trueno models, they have it's called the GT86.

melpax

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 10):
FYI the Auris is still called the Corolla in New Zealand and Australia, they refused to follow Toyota's rebranding.

Lest they offend the blind sheep who keep turning up to their local Toyota dealer every 5 years or so for a new Corolla. If they changed the name they just might be tempted to go across the road to the Kia or Hyundai dealer, or God forbid VW - although VW has taken a big hit over the past couple of weeks after one of the papers here ran a front page story on dodgy VW DSG transmissions.....

http://news.drive.com.au/volkswagen-problems

RyanairGuru

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:12 am

Quoting melpax (Reply 22):
Lest they offend the blind sheep who keep turning up to their local Toyota dealer every 5 years or so for a new Corolla

although VW has taken a big hit over the past couple of weeks after one of the papers here ran a front page story on dodgy VW DSG transmissions

I doubt it will make much difference, VW is still the fastest growing manufacturer in the Australian market.

Toyota's Australian sales went UP in 2010, despite all the Prius controversy raging at the time.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

bhill

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:22 pm

It looks pissed off....
Carpe Pices

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Lest they offend the blind sheep who keep turning up to their local Toyota dealer every 5 years or so for a new Corolla.

It was stupid if you ask me, would VW re-brand the Golf, I think not, would Ford re-brand the F-150 or Honda the Accord? I couldn't work out why Toyota wanted to re-brand the Corolla?

Aesma

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:37 pm

I'm not sure there is a rebrand, the Corolla/European Corolla is just not sold here (western europe) anymore, the Auris is not the same car. Apparently in Australia (and probably NZ) you get the Auris, called a Corolla.

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 26):
he Corolla/European Corolla is just not sold here (western europe) anymore

It is in Norway, the Auris is built on the same platform, like Golf and Jetta.

Polot

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 25):
It was stupid if you ask me, would VW re-brand the Golf, I think not, would Ford re-brand the F-150 or Honda the Accord? I couldn't work out why Toyota wanted to re-brand the Corolla?

Well VW did brand the first gen Golf as the Rabbit in the US, and did so again with the Golf Mk 5.

L0VE2FLY

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Much better looking than recent Corolla models, and definitely not as hideous as the 2014 Toyota 4Runner.

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/xcSvFnhNwLJ.QM4NcWfv1Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://mit.zenfs.com/852/2013/04/toyota4runnertop.jpg

na

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Sorry to say, but the Corolla is ugly and boring as ever. Contrived design, ungainly details, I am speechless how such cars can become the world´s bestseller.

GuitrThree

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:09 am

Quoting na (Reply 30):
I am speechless how such cars can become the world´s bestseller.

Two reasons

(1) Build Quality and Reliability.
(2) Good Cheap Economy cars without the high price of diesel engines.

Something you don't find in German cars, especially #1.

qf002

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:12 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 12):
qf002, do we have the European model here? Or it something different again?

The SMH article I read said we'd be getting the European version (thankfully!).

This -- look at the Nissan Pulsar, which was a top seller here before they started flogging the Tiida instead. The Tiida was a horrible car, but would probably have had at least moderate success if it had been able to tap into the brand loyalty/recognition that the Pulsar had.

Quoting na (Reply 30):
Sorry to say, but the Corolla is ugly and boring as ever. Contrived design, ungainly details, I am speechless how such cars can become the world´s bestseller.

Totally agree but while I'm not likely to ever have any desire to own one, they are decent quality, safe and hold their value relatively well so it's easy to see the attraction. That and the fact that fleet buyers don't give a toss about how the cars look/drive and are only interested in the cheapest option.

melpax

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:49 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 32):
This -- look at the Nissan Pulsar, which was a top seller here before they started flogging the Tiida instead. The Tiida was a horrible car, but would probably have had at least moderate success if it had been able to tap into the brand loyalty/recognition that the Pulsar had.

And the Tiida's replacement, has been named, you guessed it, the Pulsar.

http://www.nissan.com.au/

na

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 31):
Something you don't find in German cars, especially #1.

Good joke, you expert 

sw733

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 29):
definitely not as hideous as the 2014 Toyota 4Runner.

Oh mother of God...that's atrocious. Looks like it belongs on the battlefield, not suburbia (because, come on, a fraction of a fraction will ever actually be used offroad in the US)

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 31):

(1) Build Quality and Reliability.
(2) Good Cheap Economy cars without the high price of diesel engines.

Yeah, I've driven a few Corolla's and I like them. They've never looked all that good (aside from this new Euro version which I do like), but they get the job done and get it done well. I would consider buying one if I could get the Euro version...not this new ugly version in the US.

cptkrell

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:11 pm

"...as hideous as the 2014 Toyota 4Runner."

First time I've seen "it". Good grief...I guess that's what happens when you have a half-dozen stylists all working on the front end, all with the same amount of authority. Begs the question though, who is responsible for approving the final design for production? Really awful. regards...jack
all best; jack

melpax

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:45 pm

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 36):

Design by committee, LOL

na

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:52 pm

not as hideous as the 2014 Toyota 4Runner.

That is the new 4Runner? That cant be serious. Were the designers on drugs when they did that thing, or, where even any designers involved who actually looked at what they were doing?
Good grief, that nightmare on wheels easily wins the "ugliest front end of the year" award.

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 28):

Well VW did brand the first gen Golf as the Rabbit in the US, and did so again with the Golf Mk 5.

That's completely different, it was a completely new model that had not existed before under either name, so whatever it was called in different markets didn't matter, unlike the Corolla which has been around for a very long time.

Polot

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:50 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 39):
That's completely different, it was a completely new model that had not existed before under either name, so whatever it was called in different markets didn't matter, unlike the Corolla which has been around for a very long time.

But as I mentioned they also elected to rename the Golf mk 5 as the Rabbit, after using the Golf brand in the US for the previous 20 years. They reverted back to the Golf with the mk 6.

[Edited 2013-06-18 14:56:00]

trav110

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 pm

I think it looks great. Toyota finally seems to be moving ever so slightly away from its usual extremely boring and conservative design approach. I think it's the best looking compact out there now, it's even better looking than the Elantra, IMO.

BMI727

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Much better looking than recent Corolla models, and definitely not as hideous as the 2014 Toyota 4Runner.

I like that styling. The bold skidplate (probably not real though) gives it a tough look and keeping the painted parts high off the ground in the middle gives it a look not unlike a trophy truck. It's nice to see something with an aggressive racing look without resorting to a lift and bolt on parts.

Quoting trav110 (Reply 41):
I think it looks great. Toyota finally seems to be moving ever so slightly away from its usual extremely boring and conservative design approach.

Boring and conservative put them on top. There's nothing wrong with building driving appliances since plenty of people buy them. Just not me.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 40):

But as I mentioned they also elected to rename the Golf mk 5 as the Rabbit, after using the Golf brand in the US for the previous 20 years. They reverted back to the Golf with the mk 6.

Obviously VW worked out changing the name back to Rabbit was a mistake and fixed it with the following model.

racko

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Quoting na (Reply 30):
I am speechless how such cars can become the world´s bestseller.

It's pretty much an artificial measurement depending on how many different cars you slap the same base name. If VW would call the Touran "Golf Van", the Jetta "Golf sedan", the Beetle "Golf retro" , the Caddy "Golf Business" etc etc it would be the best-selling car in the world, but it would be just as artificial. It's lots of different cars, there are thankfully not that many people in the world willing to spend money on the atrocity displayed in the first post.

racko

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:31 pm

2014 Toyota 4Runner.

Gotta love companies with a sense of humor.

Kiwirob

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 44):
If VW would call the Touran "Golf Van"

They called it Golf Touran in Japan.

Kent350787

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:02 am

Quoting melpax (Reply 33):
And the Tiida's replacement, has been named, you guessed it, the Pulsar.

Whilst it would have sold better if named Pulsar, the name was thew least of the Tiida's problem. It is probably the worst car I've driven in the last 10 years.

The new Corolla is a Corolla. It will do what it says on the box. It will sell well. But it is still ho hum.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

RyanairGuru

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:36 am

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 47):
the name was thew least of the Tiida's problem. It is probably the worst car I've driven in the last 10 years

That thing was a complete dog. I rented one as a hire car in the USA (badged as the Nissan Versa there) and it was... I'm not even sure how I could describe it...... but it was BAD! My father used to have a Holden Adventra and that drove like a tank, but it was twice the length so I'll cut it some slack! The Versa/Tiida on the other hand, no sympathy from me.

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 47):
The new Corolla is a Corolla. It will do what it says on the box. It will sell well. But it is still ho hum

Pretty much
Worked Hard, Flew Right

L0VE2FLY

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Quoting na (Reply 30):

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I think it's not as boring as previous Corolla models. Most folks buy Toyotas for their reliability not their looks, if reliability is what you want you can't go wrong with Toyota. I see where you're coming from though, on my first visit to Europe I was surprised to see how unpopular Asian cars were there compared to the rest of the world.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 42):
I like that styling. The bold skidplate (probably not real though) gives it a tough look and keeping the painted parts high off the ground in the middle gives it a look not unlike a trophy truck. It's nice to see something with an aggressive racing look without resorting to a lift and bolt on parts.

Finally! I found someone who likes this fugly car.