Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

777222LR
Topic Author

Need Vacation Ideas

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm looking for an international trip outside of the US.

Cities I've been to:

EZE
SCL
HKG
BKK
NRT
KIX
CDG
MUC
FRA
IST
SYD
FCO

That's what I've visited so far. I'm wanting some place new to visit, but here's the kicker. I want to fly on the A380. I can get on the A380 from via IAH to FRA with LH. My hometown is OKC, so I'd be flying from there. Any suggestions?

Pellegrine

RE: Need Vacation Ideas

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:30 pm

FRA to SIN A380? From SIN you can visit many points in that corner of the world for a cheap price.
I'm considering a SIN trip before the A345 nonstop ends this year.

If you're talking any A380 from the US there are a lot of options that would take you one stop to a place where you havent been.

OKC-LAX-SYD/MEL A388 QF
OKC-LAX-ICN A388 KE
OKC-LAX-CAN A388 CZ

If you want to do two stops or more, you could really get almost anywhere.

Guangzhou could be really interesting on CZ.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 pm

May i suggest Malaysia ( Kuala Lampur, Penang and Langkawi )
Still not very expensive, nice hotels and great food.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Pellegrine

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 2):
May i suggest Malaysia ( Kuala Lampur, Penang and Langkawi )
Still not very expensive, nice hotels and great food.

I'm going later in the year.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 3):
  I'm going later in the year.

Have a great trip, enjoy
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

flymia

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:05 pm

If you need the A380 just use the 380 as one of the connecting flights looking at your list of places you've been too there glaring hole in the list is London. After that I would suggest MAD or/and BCN. You can take LH or AF to their respected hubs on the 380 and get into wherever you want in Europe of the world really.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

RyanairGuru

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 pm

Quoting 777222LR (Thread starter):

Do you know how long you're planning to go for? And are you a busy city person, or do like to find a quiet beach?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

planeguy727

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:37 pm

In an effort to try the A380 I did the FRA-JFK route on SQ. Definitely worth the effort. Of course I live in NYC so it made more sense. It was a good way to get the A380 and try a 5th freedom route.

As others have noted, if you think of the A380 as one part of the journey then the possibilities are endless. How about LH to South Africa? Lovely country.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

stlgph

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:13 am

Sum it up in one word -- Iceland
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

kiwiinoz

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:31 am

Apart from flying on the A380, what kind of holiday experience do you like?

Resorty? Exploration? Nightlife? Culture? Food? Relaxing? Exciting? Dangerous???

gocaps16

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:26 am

Does Dubai interest you? A very modern, elegant, and efficient city and a good place to visit as it is very international.
If that does not interest you at all, check out Moscow. How can you say no after all these gorgeous Russian babes.

[Edited 2013-06-11 04:28:55]

777222LR
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:10 pm

Sorry, don't know HOW I missed London, but I've been there 4 or 5 times!   I kinda would like some place that has a little of both. Some scenery, but also something cultural. I'm very into classical music, so I had thought Vienna perhaps, but I really LOVE Asia, so I thought Hong Kong, but I want something different. I wish I could find a Middle Eastern destination, but I don't think I want to spend Dubai prices. I had also thought about TLV. I will have about a week to do all of this. I SHOULD go somewhere I have never been before.

kiwiinoz

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:32 pm

How about Beijing. A very interesting place, much more so than Shanghai I think. Quite a contrasting city. Ultra sophisticated in some quarters, primitive in others. And what a history!

You will have to cope with the pollution though

PPVRA

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 12):
How about Beijing. A very interesting place, much more so than Shanghai I think. Quite a contrasting city. Ultra sophisticated in some quarters, primitive in others. And what a history!

That's what I thought. And he can fly via ICN with KE on the A380. I would recommend spending some time in Korea as well. KE is a top of the line airline, too.

Not sure if Chinese visas are still expensive for Americans, though.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Longhornmaniac

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 13):
Not sure if Chinese visas are still expensive for Americans, though.

They are. But you can now stay in Beijing or Shanghai for 72 hours without a visa.

I would recommend Malaysia.

I also just got back from Easter Island and absolutely loved it.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

RyanairGuru

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:55 am

Quoting 777222LR (Reply 11):
Some scenery, but also something cultural. I'm very into classical music

Have you considered Italy? I know it's something of a cliche, but it is IMHO a truly fantastic country.

You can maybe start in Verona, see Juliet's balcony and go to the opera, and then it is only an hours drive to Lake Garda. I would recommend staying at the northern end (Malcesine or Limone would be my pick). You don't need a rental car once you're there as all the villages are connected by ferry services, which is basically the local bus. They're inexpensive and frequent, and you can "cruise" the entire lake this way (it's a big lake!). The scenary is pretty stunning (at the nothern end you are in the Sud-Tirol, which is part of the alps) and there is some gook hiking etc if that's what you're into.

I looked on lufthansa.com and you can do UA/LH OKC-IAH-FRA-VRN. On the inbound you can go through IAH again on the A380, or mix it up and go VRN-FRA-IAD-OKC on the 748!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Ken777

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:41 am

At a minimum I would recommend a circle the Pacific route. You get the 380 on QF from LAX to SYD. Leave Australia from PER and you have HKG (my very favorite city in Asia) as well as SIN, BKK and various cities in Korea and Japan.

My favorite routing ended up being the Round The World tickets. At that time you had 4 flight segments on each continent you landed in. That gives you a lot of choices in each continent. My favorites were HKG & BKK in Asia, then London and just about any other city in Europe. I liked discovering a new (for me) city. Fell in love with Barcelona and Vienna with ease. I even used to take day trips to Dublin just to walk around.

Basically I would say grab a may and look for new places that look interesting.

AyostoLeon

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:14 am

Quoting 777222LR (Reply 11):
I wish I could find a Middle Eastern destination,

How about Amman, Jordan? Perhaps outbound with AA to ORD and connecting with RJ to AMM, operated by A340. The layover in ORD would be about 2 hours 20 minutes. Inbound with LH via FRA (A321) and IAH (A380) connecting with UA to OKC. Layover at FRA 3 hours 30 minutes so no need to panic about missing connection. Layover at IAH just over 3 hours.

Jordan is worth a visit in my opinion. The history dates back to biblical times, with some fine Roman remains at Jerash, the spot where Moses is reputed to have seen the Promised Land, the Dead Sea resorts, old Crusader castles, the beauty of the coloured sands and gorges of Wadi Rum, to the opportunity for snorkelling at Aqaba. A visit to the ancient Nabataean city of Petra is not to be missed. There are local tour operators or you can hire a car as the distances between Amman and the main attractions are not too great, although you would need to book overnight accommodation to benefit from visits to Petra or Aqaba.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

Gemuser

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:05 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 15):

Have you considered Italy? I know it's something of a cliche, but it is IMHO a truly fantastic country.

I would suggest Venice, my favorite place on earth! Brilliant scenery, history, food, atmosphere, Opera house & other music performances etc. You can connect via CDG or FRA via A380 across the Atlantic into Marco Polo (VCE). A brilliant day trip is to Ravenna via ferry to Lido then bus & ferry along the barrier islands to Chioggia, then train via Rovigo & Ferra. Return via mainline train.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

777222LR
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Well, here is the final decision:

I get the 748i and the A380 on this trip. So double bonus! Plus, EVERY hotel in Athens is super cheap right now, huge discounts. That said, I need advice on what to do, where to stay, where to eat. (And some gay clubs/bars to go to).

EricR

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Seychelles, Maldives, or Andaman Islands are all nice. The rising ocean levels are starting to cause some concerns for the Maldives, so you may want to visit them sooner rather than later.

dc9northwest

Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:09 am

Quoting 777222LR (Reply 19):

I think you should try to also go to one or two Greek Islands. Many people say more than 2 days in Athens is a waste.

Enjoy the food, though!

Have no idea how gay-friendly Athens or Greece in general is, though, sorry.

I stayed near Omonoia Square... I think you should think of staying in some other part of the city  

OA260

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:07 am

Quoting 777222LR (Reply 19):
Well, here is the final decision:

Good choice.   Greece this year has some great bargains and tourism numbers are to be one of the highest in over 5 years. The one good thing in the economic crisis is its a tourists ideal place in terms of prices.

A few nights in Athens is enough to see the main tourist sites. Acropolis Museam,Parthenon etc..

Take the metro down to the port of Piraeus and jump on a ferry or High Speed ship to one of the Islands. Mykonos offers great Gay night life its famous for it.

In Athens as this article says Gazi is the place to go .

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/athens/0044021120.html

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 21):
I stayed near Omonoia Square... I think you should think of staying in some other part of the city  

Well its the cheapest place and a bad area. You get what you pay for in this life.   Plenty of lovely areas in other parts of the city like every place in the World. I tell anyone to avoid Omonia its been a bad area for many years even during the good times! During the Olympics it was a bit better as they tidied it up and heavy security but now its back to its shady look.

---

If you need any further specific information let me know.