Grisee08
Topic Author

What Is Your Favorite Roller Coaster? Where?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:27 pm

Topic says it all. I happen to like Batman: The Ride, but it is a little too short. It seems like it is over as soon as it begins. Superman: Ultimate Flight, and X-Flight at Six Flags Great America are pretty cool too. But my absolute favorite is The Voyage at Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN.

What say you?
Alright Alright Alright!

DeltaMD90

RE: What Is Your Favorite Roller Coaster? Where?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Probably the Dragster (very short, unfortunately) or Millennium Force at Cedar Point. SheiKra at Busch Gardens Tampa is good too

Funny you should start this thread... I've been busy lately but in the past week I've have had the strange urge to play Rollercoaster Tycoon again, one of my favorite games when I was a kid. Good times

1337Delta764

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:24 pm

My favorite is the Alpengeist at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Rode it twice when I visited the park earlier this month.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Grisee08
Topic Author

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:59 pm

I prefer steel coasters over wooden, however, my FAVORITE happens to be a wooden coaster. The wooden ones tend to have a lot more vibration associated with them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Voyage_(roller_coaster)

My second favorite currently is a tie between Superman: Ultimate Flight, and X-Flight, both at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL
My 2 best friends and I on Superman: Ultimate Flight
Big version: Width: 1482 Height: 2088 File size: 649kb

Edited to include another photo

[Edited 2013-06-30 16:02:28]
Alright Alright Alright!

clemsonaj

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Wild Eagle at Dollywood. Especially if you are in the front. Not the highest or longest coaster in the world, but an amazing ride none-the-less.

desertjets

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:31 pm

My all-time favorite is still the Riddler's Revenge at Magic Mountain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyyIXKEoi-Y

The other would be the Griffon at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Just happened it was pretty quiet the day we were there (weekday and damn hot) and we rode it 4-5 times almost back to back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWCvLuSUhCM

I don't mind wooden coasters, but the last one I rode was this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Predator_%28roller_coaster%29 at Darien Lake. It was notorious for having a rough ride, and it looks like they replaced the cars a few years back to smooth it out.I really disliked it. But I really liked the large wooden coaster at Magic Mountain.

[Edited 2013-07-01 08:42:22]
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Moose135

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:14 pm

The Cyclone at Coney Island...

I haven't ridden any of the newest coasters, it's been 15 or 20 years since I really rode any of "modern" rides. Five or six years ago, after going to a Brooklyn Cyclones minor league baseball game at Coney Island, a friend talked me into riding the Cyclone. I'll never ride it again, and I wanted to kill him afterwards, but I'll always be able to say I've survived the historic Cyclone!
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

rwy04lga

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Nitro at SFGA, and Thunderbolt at Kennywood.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Grisee08
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Quoting desertjets (Reply 5):
My all-time favorite is still the Riddler's Revenge at Magic Mountain.

That one looks like fun!!

I've never been to Great Adventure, but Kingda Ka is waiting for me... I hope
Alright Alright Alright!

cjg225

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:18 pm

I haven't been to very many parks, but I've ridden the heck out of the coasters at the parks I have been to.

Dorney Park is my hometown park and far and away my favorite coaster there is Talon, an inverted coaster. Love it. My friends and I through high school would buy discount passes through our school late in the school year and go after school. By the time we go across the valley to the park, it was early evening. We had a particular order we tended to do rides in and we always ended the night on Talon. By the time we got to Talon it'd be around 8:30-ish and the lines would be winding down. Park rules said we couldn't stay on the ride even if the line didn't fill up the seats, so we'd have to jump off, run around, and get back in "line." Our best record is 10 cycles in 1 hour.

The other coasters there are pretty fun, as well. Steel Force is about 16 years old now and is a traditional, vanilla steel coaster, but still has a pretty nice descent and set of bunny hills on the back end. My best memory from that coaster is, unfortunately, getting smacked in the face by a small bouncy ball thrown by someone a few cars ahead of me on the descent of the main hill one time.

Hyrda is a floorless coaster that's about 8 years old, I think. Really good placement in the park. It's off in the corner away from everything else. If you ride it at night, it's awesome because the track isn't lit and you can't see where you're going. There's one turn that looks like you're going to smash right into a huge fir tree that is part of the tree line surrounding the park, but you swerve away at the last second. In the dark, it's scary as heck even if you know the track already.   

Outside of Dorney, my favorite coaster is probably the blue side of Dueling Dragons at Universal Orlando, followed closely by Rockin' Roller Coaster at Universal Hollywood (same deal as Hyrda at night; I love that you really have no idea where you're going and I love the "shot out of the gate" start).   

Man, this thread is getting me all nostalgic for high school... Never thought I'd feel that. In the eight years since I've been in college, I've probably been to Dorney only twice. I've been two Universal Orlando twice and Universal Hollywood once in that time period, by comparison.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

desertjets

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 9):
my favorite coaster is probably the blue side of Dueling Dragons at Universal Orlando

I've been on both of the Dueling Dragons, and I remember I liked one more than the other.... but for the life of me I can't remember which one.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

GSPFlyer

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 am

I'll give my top 5

1. Millennium Force (Cedar Point)
2. The Intimidator (Carowinds)
3. Top Thrill Dragster (Cedar Point)
4. Fahrenheit (Hersheypark)
5. Afterburn (Carowinds)

dragon-wings

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:53 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 2):
My favorite is the Alpengeist at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Rode it twice when I visited the park earlier this month.

This is my favorite also.

Remember The Big Bad Wolf at Busch Gardens Williamsburg? That was my first steel rollercoaster I have ridden on. Loved it! And Loch Ness Monster is a classic rollercoaster.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Grisee08
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:31 am

I have never been to Busch Gardens. Only Six Flags and Holiday World. How many Busch Gardens are there? I know I was going to go to the one in Tampa, but never made it.
Alright Alright Alright!

zippyjet

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:42 am

None of them! I love to fly but am scared ****less to ride on roller coasters.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Polot

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:50 am

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 12):
Remember The Big Bad Wolf at Busch Gardens Williamsburg? That was my first steel rollercoaster I have ridden on. Loved it! And Loch Ness Monster is a classic rollercoaster.

Big Bad Wolf was the first roller coaster I ever rode. Too bad they got rid of it.

Anyways like:
Lock Ness Monster
Millennium Force
Magnum XL200 (Cedar Point)
El Toro (Great Adventure)

Medusa (or whatever it is called now) at Great Adventure is also good.

Grisee08
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:51 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 14):
None of them! I love to fly but am scared ****less to ride on roller coasters.

I used to be that way... Now I love them!! The loops are the best!!
Alright Alright Alright!

Grisee08
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:12 am

I've also meant to say that Bolliger & Mabillard are my favorite manufacturer. I like how they make trains with 4 abreast seating. Makes it easier for me to ride next to my 2 friends on the same car, instead of one of us having to look back or forth at each other. As seen in the photo above (Superman)
Alright Alright Alright!

DanTaylor2006

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:11 pm

I have no experience of coasters outside of the UK, but I currently have two favourite rides here;

1. Nemesis at Alton Towers. Widely rated as one of the worlds best B&M inverts, despite being 19 years old. It's a superb rollercoaster, very intense, and a feat of engineering to pack such a punch in such a tight footprint.

2. The Smiler at Alton Towers. Currently the rollercoaster with the most inversions in the world, at 14. An absolutely insane experience but one that leaves you smiling from start to finish! In the UK, I've yet to find a rollercoaster that has left me with that feeling. A very intense but rewarding ride experience!

Quoting Grisee08 (Reply 17):
I've also meant to say that Bolliger & Mabillard are my favorite manufacturer.

I quite agree, the ride quality on B&Ms is second to none. I love their Wing Riders at the moment, The Swarm at THORPE PARK is brilliant, and I'd definitely like to try some more of their other coasters in the US!

One day...