Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

staralliance85
Topic Author

How Will Snowden Get From SVO-CCS Commercially?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:51 pm

In light of Venezuela giving Snowden asylum, I am curious to see how Snowden will get safe passage to CCS commercially? It seems like flying over the EU countries will be an issue. What is the best routing for him to get there?
brad Fitzpatrick

luckyone

RE: How Will Snowden Get From SVO-CCS Commercially?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:56 pm

A little help from the Iranians perhaps? If the Cubans, Venezuelans or Russians put him on an airplane that stays in international airspace there really isn't much anybody can do short of forcing it down with fighters.

AeroWesty

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Aeroflot to Havana, then onwards, just as before. Remember, the EU states which it was claimed had turned away Morales' jet, have said it was a mistake.

Nov-av thread, really, though, since it's political in nature.
International Homo of Mystery

kaitak

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:04 pm

Can't he just take an Aeroflot flight to Cuba and get a connection from there? I can't see any countries forcing down an SU aircraft and taking him off by force.

falstaff

Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:36 pm

I heard on the radio today (CBS radio news) that no commercial carrier will fly him anywhere because he lacks a valid passport. The report said either a government or charter aircraft would have to take him out unless he gets valid travel documents from one of the countries that gave him asylum.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

AR385

Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Quoting staralliance85 (Thread starter):
In light of Venezuela giving Snowden asylum,

First, I have listened to Maduro, and It´s not so clear in his rethoric if he has granted asylum to Snowden. He said that in light of the situation with Bolivia, he was now "prepared to grant HUMANITARIAN asylum" to the guy and God knows what that means. The other issue is that Venezuela has been planning a rapproachement strategy towards the US for months and giving asylum to the guy is obviously going to eliminate any chance of that. At this point it is kind of muddy but maybe he indeed gave him Asylum.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
Aeroflot to Havana, then onwards, just as before. Remember, the EU states which it was claimed had turned away Morales' jet, have said it was a mistake.

Putin is not happy with Snowden at all, so I wouldn´t be surprised if said SU flight to HAV makes a stop in MIA. The only thing I see happening is Snowden being taken to some embassy in Moscow of whichever country gives him asylum and then spending years there like Assange in London.

Flighty

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:22 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
Remember, the EU states which it was claimed had turned away Morales' jet, have said it was a mistake.

Does it matter what they say now?

Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):
Putin is not happy with Snowden at all, so I wouldn´t be surprised if said SU flight to HAV makes a stop in MIA. The only thing I see happening is Snowden being taken to some embassy in Moscow of whichever country gives him asylum and then spending years there like Assange in London.

Agreed he has at the very best a 40% chance of avoiding US custody. If he stayed in HK, he would face a similar probability, but there would be more dignity in it. (Stealing that line from a movie). Running instinctively makes him look guilty & attracts people who mean him harm.

PacNWjet

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 6):
If he stayed in HK, he would face a similar probability, but there would be more dignity in it.

Except there are reports Hong Kong officials told Snowden that while we was awaiting his fate he might spend time in detention without access to a computer or the Internet. People close to Snowden report that as far as he was concerned losing access to computers and the Internet would be a fate worse than death.

11Bravo

Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:49 pm

The US and its allies should just let Mr. Snowden go where he wants; Venezuela, Bolivia, Cuba or some other equally awesome place. Then once he settles in, the CIA can go have a little meeting with him to resolve the issue.
WhaleJets Rule!