Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

gocaps16
Topic Author

Visiting Brisbane, Australia.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:29 am

Hi all,

To make this story short, I will be in Brisbane area tomorrow for a few days with a couple mates. Just looking for a quick guide on sightsee to good pubs/eateries for a normal non-local. I have been to Brisbane/Gold Coast before back in 2008, but during the short stay we couldn't see much of BNE. Sorry for the short notice as well. Cheers.

Dogbreath

RE: Visiting Brisbane, Australia.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:30 am

Enjoy Brisbane. A great city.

I always enjoyed having a meal and a drink at the Regatta Hotel. Check it out at www.regattahotel.com.au It's in a suburb called Toowong and not too far from the city. Located on the river's edge, and can be reached by the river ferry service.

If you want to stay closer to the city, then Eagle Street Pier has some restaurants and bars. Not a bad view from there either.

Good luck.
Truth, Honour, Loyalty

kiwiinoz

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:38 am

I am not a great fan of Brisbane. It has some nice areas but I find it lacks a little soul and character

But it is a gateway to a beautiful state. For something a little different to the Gold Coast, head north to the Sunshine coast. A completely different vibe, some real villagy spots. And great seafood.

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:49 am

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 2):
I am not a great fan of Brisbane. It has some nice areas but I find it lacks a little soul and character

me either, I detest the place and as I said to the OP the only thing I know about BNE is to get out of there, fast!

wstakl

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:23 am

Heading their also in September, can anyone recommend a hotel in the CBD area (will have a rental car) or for that matter a decent hotel in the Brisbane area. What is the Southbank area like?

RyanairGuru

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:28 am

Brisbane is a great city IMHO, I personally hope you enjoy it!

Quoting gocaps16 (Thread starter):
good pubs/eateries for a normal non-local

As said, the Regatta is a good spot, and it's nice to get the ferry there - adds to the "river city" vibe.

You can get the CityCat from South Bank, QUT Gardens Point [opposite South Bank, on the other side of the river], or Riverside [Eagle Street Pier] to Regatta Point - the pub is pretty much next to the ferry.

Eagle Street Pier is a nice spot next to the river, and has some decent restaurants. Definitely the place to head for a "find dining" experience. There's also a Bavarian Bierhof there, with balmy river views!

If you are in town on Friday then head over to Stanley Street on South Bank - while Fortitude Valley is the place to head for clubbing, Stanley Street has some hip, chilled bars. Definitely the place to head for a cocktail and live music, if that is more your scene. It also attracts a more "mature" crowd than Fortitude Valley (late 20s rather than tweens). From there you can head on to West End which also has some pretty groovy bars.

During the day I wouldn't miss the opportunity to ride the CityCat. It's a nice "cruise" that lets you see the city from the water, for public transport prices! From Riverside I would take the Cat to Hawthorne about 1 hour before sunset (which take you through the McMansions along the waterfront, and the old port area around the Wool Stores and Power House), and then change to get the Cat back again straight away. This means that you are heading west (and towards the city) at dusk - the sunset over the city can be stunning, and rounding the bend under the Story Bridge still takes my breath away. In fact this is undoubtedly my biggest Brisbane recommendation.

Please let us know how you go!

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 2):
It has some nice areas but I find it lacks a little soul and character
Quoting qantas077 (Reply 3):
I detest the place and as I said to the OP the only thing I know about BNE is to get out of there, fast!

I'm very sorry to hear that
Worked Hard, Flew Right

byronicle6

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:17 pm

I agree with the above posters that it lacks the soul, character and culture of Sydney or Melbourne but something about it still makes me enjoy it. Infact, we are heading over for a long weekend in a couple of months.

I would also add a daytrip to Tangalooma on Moreton island. The ferry departs from Holt St wharf not far from the airport and takes around an hour each way.
There are several options, you can include whale watching, dolphin feeding or just the return ferry.
Also, the views of Brisbane from atop Mt Cootha are good. There is a nice little cafe there with similarly good views. We also enjoyed a couple of short walks through the forest including an aboriginal art trail with art and rock carvings
Travel is my thing

gocaps16
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Quoting WSTAKL (Reply 4):
can anyone recommend a hotel in the CBD area

I'm staying at a serviced apartment and really is very nice and located CDB.