Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Got Tips For A Singapore Trip?

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:11 am

Me and a couple of my buddies with flight benefits are seriously considering a trip to Singapore. Our parents work for UA so the flight is covered. We are planning IAH-SFO-HKG-SIN, hopefully Global First on the SFO-HKG leg. We are looking at hostels, since they are incredibly cheap (S$65~ per person for 3 nights!, 1.6 miles from downtown!). I have some questions however:

1. What are good tourist places? Beaches? Nightlife?

2. I know Singapore is very safe, but how about little things, like pick-pockets? Also, what is really teh penalty for spiting on the ground?

3. What are the odds of us getting Global First on SFO-HKG and HKG-SFO as nonrev? On the third-to-last week of August?

4. How expensive is it? I know the Singapore dollar is lower than the USD and it is a $20 cab ride from SIN to the hostel.

5. How much do you think we can actually do in 3 or 4 days?

6. How bad is the Customs and Immigration process in SFO?

Throw in any advice you may have and stories, and let me know if I left out anything to ask. Many many thanks in advance for the input!  

[Edited 2013-07-28 21:21:08]

[Edited 2013-07-28 21:48:23]
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

YokoTsuno

RE: Got Tips For A Singapore Trip?

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:58 am

2. Oh, that myth. Consecutive life term per spit .

Two warnings you should take very serious though.
- Don't do drugs
- Don't buy electronics at tourist traps, like Sim Lim. Go for places like Challenger or other reputable stores. As a foreigner you will fall into the Sim Lim trap. Even we sometimes do.
- The rest you heard is all myth.

3. Unless you're planning to buy a car or invest in real-estate you'll find this place a good deal, especially food and entrance fees of POIs. You'll never spent S$7/person for a meal if you really want. A cab used to be cheap here. Still far below EU/JP/US but but no longer 'bus price'. Trip from city to airport is S$15-25 depending on direction. The subway (MRT) stops at the airport which is S$2 for a one way ride. You can get almost anywhere by train these days.

4. 4 days is just nice IMHO.

6. Very few places in the world where immigration is as efficient. Locals and residents clear immigration on their own via finger printing. Time to clear for tourists is comparable to smaller EU airports like VIE, BRU, DUS

[Edited 2013-07-28 22:06:39]

Confuscius

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:06 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Thread starter):
Also, what is really teh penalty for spiting on the ground?

Caning...and make sure to bring a lot of illegal drugs.  
and it is a $20 cab ride from SIN to the hostel.

If your hostel is close to an MRT station, take the train.

What are good tourist places? Beaches? Nightlife?

For nightlife go to the Geylang District. Shopping for high end designer items go to Orchard Rd.

Singapore is known for its food. Go to a hawker center and look for chicken rice and chili crab.
Ain't I a stinker?

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:05 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 2):
f your hostel is close to an MRT station, take the train.

The hostel is close to the Lavender station. I saw online that it takes about an hour from SIN to there. I also saw that a cab is S$20, with 3 or 4 people, that is not a bad price for a 20 minute ride.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:27 am

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 1):
The subway (MRT) stops at the airport which is S$2 for a one way ride. You can get almost anywhere by train these days.

How much would it be for a day pass?

Confuscius

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:30 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 3):
The hostel is close to the Lavender station. I saw online that it takes about an hour from SIN to there.

Are you sure? It's like the seventh stop from Changi and the MRT stations aren't very far apart. Although the cab ride for $20 is a bargain and you don't have to tip.
Ain't I a stinker?

afterburner

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:32 am

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 1):
- Don't buy electronics at tourist traps, like Sim Lim

... and Lucky Plaza.

Superfly

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:47 am

We are looking at hostels, since they are incredibly cheap (S$65~ per person for 3 nights!, 1.6 miles from downtown!). I have some questions however:

I got a hotel room for $41 at Hotel 81 in Geylung. That's a proper hotel and not a hostel that you have to share with strangers.

I was just in Singapore last month. Although most of the report is on Singapore Airlines, I do talk a little bit about what Singapore has to offer.

Shame On You Singapore Girl! (SQ BKK-SIN) (by Superfly Jun 23 2013 in Trip Reports)

For nightlife go to the Geylang District.

Although the nightlife here in Bangkok is much better.

Singapore is known for its food.

Yep. Their 7Eleven's have mashed potatoes & gravy that comes from a machine.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Rush8track/Bangkok020.jpg
Bring back the Concorde

YokoTsuno

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:51 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 4):
How much would it be for a day pass?

There are no day passes. We use rechargeable cards or 'top-up' as it is called here. You buy, charge and reclaim the balance in local currency at the machines available in every MRT station.

There is this however: http://www.thesingaporetouristpass.com.sg/

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 3):
The hostel is close to the Lavender station. I saw online that it takes about an hour from SIN to there. I also saw that a cab is S$20, with 3 or 4 people, that is not a bad price for a 20 minute ride.

This information is accurate. There might be the occasional driver who does not allow 4 PAX.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):

I got a hotel room for $41 at Hotel 81 in Geylung. That's a proper hotel and not a hostel that you have to share with strangers.

There are Hotel 81 all over Singapore if Geylang is not your thing. You may try Booking.com. This website often gives you very good deals in nice hotels.

[Edited 2013-07-29 00:01:20]

kiwiinoz

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:15 am

OK I used to love in Singapore and still spend a lot of time there

Highlights:

Food:

Singapore has great food across a variety of different cuisines, however if I was to pick out a couple of absolute musts:

Samy's curry house on Dempsey Hill, for Fish Head curry, (not as daunting as it sounds)
Red House Seafood Centre at East Coast for Black Pepper Crab, (better than Chilli grab in my opinion)
Try a traditional Singapore hawker centre for street food

All of these are not fancy dining, but a great experience

Night Life:

There are better places in the world for nightlife, and drinking is very expensive. Try Clark Quay, Boat Quay

Attractions:

The zoo and bird park are great, but for something a little more rustic, climb up Bukit Timah or walk around Macritchie reservoir. A chance to see snakes, monitor lozards, and monkeys all living wild in a jungle habitat, just 20 mins from the city centre. Also Resorts World, Sentosa is good if you like a theme park kind of atmosphere

Shopping:

Singapore used to be great but there are better places now. Holland Village and Orchard Road probably the best spots for shopping

Hope this helps

Superfly

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:36 am

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 8):
There are Hotel 81 all over Singapore if Geylang is not your thing. You may try Booking.com. This website often gives you very good deals in nice hotels.

That is true. My cheap boss picked the Geylang location.
I don't mind the red light district but what I find so icky about Singapore's red light district is the large groups of men just standing around loitering like zombies. Either go inside for some fun or go home.

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 9):
There are better places in the world for nightlife, and drinking is very expensive.

That is very true. TWA772LR should be reminded that Singapore is a business hub and that's it. It's not as 'exotic' as people think. Singaporeans go to nearby countries to have fun in the sun and enjoy nightlife and go shopping.
Singapore is a place to work, make a decent salary and do business.

Singapore used to be great but there are better places now.

True but Singapore can still be a lot of fun if you hunt down Ryanair!!! for a night out.  
Bring back the Concorde

MadameConcorde

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:39 am

I suggest you visit

Marina Bay Sands infinity pool and Sky Park.

The visit comes with a price tag but this is a view that can't be beaten!

http://www.marinabaysands.com/sands-skypark/infinity-pool/

this

and also the Singapore Flyer

http://www.singaporeflyer.com/

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

MIAspotter

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:12 am

Good tourist places? hmm, Chinatown, Little India (visit the temples) Orchard Road (malls, malls, and more malls) the colonial district, Raffles Hotel, and downtown are nice, everywhere in SG is nice, I also recommend the Jurong Bird Park, and the Night Safari! (you can get combined tickets for both quite cheap)

Gardens by the Bay sounds interesting, skip the Singapore Flyer and go up the Marina Bay Sands Skypark, much better views.

Beaches, I heard Sentosa is the place for that.

Shopping: Orchard Road, and Mustafa Centre in Little india, open 24hrs and they have absolutely EVERYTHING at reasonable prices, and just going there is an attraction itself lol.

Night life, Clarke Quay.

2. I know Singapore is very safe, but how about little things, like pick-pockets? Also, what is really teh penalty for spiting on the ground?

No problems at all in Singapore, just keep your wits about as in any other city, but you will have no problems whatsoever, it is very very safe.

Why would you want to spit on the ground? that´s disgusting.

4. How expensive is it? I know the Singapore dollar is lower than the USD and it is a $20 cab ride from SIN to the hostel.

Not overly expensive, you can buy an EZ-Link card for the MRT and buses, you can top it up with money (20SGD for 4 days should be more than enough) and you can also use it to pay in some shops.

For food, try the hawker centres, you can have a very good meal for less than 10SGD (Maxwell Rd Hawker Centre, Lau Pa Sat, Tekka Centre) and you MUST try the local breakfast of Kaya toast, good place is Ya Kun Kaya (they have an outlet at nearly every mall) or Toast Box, or Killinney Kopitiam near Orchard Road.

Booze is very expensive tho, so if you want to hit the bars make sure to do so on Happy Hours.

I think a daily budget of 100SGD should be more than enough.

5. How much do you think we can actually do in 3 or 4 days?

Singapore is very compact and getting around is easy, it all depends on what you want to visit but you can visit many places in the 3-4 days, if you definitely hit Sentosa Island, you will need a full day.

Do some research and plan accordingly.

I´ll be there August 13th, can´t wait!!!

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks everyone! These replies are awesome! Ill make sure my buddies see this!  

MIAspotter

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Oh I think we forgot to mention one very important thing about Singapore.

IT IS HOT HOT HOT! upper 80´s Fahrenheit and 80 to 90% humidity, so if you walk out your hotel and cover 1 block, you will be a sweaty mess, so bring fresh light clothes and adequate shoes.

It rains ocassionally, usually a massive thunderstorm that lasts about 10/15 minutes and then it´s like nothing happenned (at least when I´ve been there)

Public transport is fully ariconditioned as are all buildings, you can even move from one mall to another without stepping foot on the street because of underground airconditioned passageways.

If you decide to go to hawker centres for food, don´t be put off by the appeareance, they are fully clean and hygienic because the gov keeps an eye on them.

have a good time!

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

comorin

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 14):
Oh I think we forgot to mention one very important thing about Singapore.

IT IS HOT HOT HOT! upper 80´s Fahrenheit and 80 to 90% humidity, so if you walk out your hotel and cover 1 block, you will be a sweaty mess, so bring fresh light clothes and adequate shoes.

That's THE most important thing to know. High humidity and high radiance because of the equatorial sun.

Thoughts and Impressions:

Have a Singapore Sling at Sunday Brunch at Raffles.
Nice place for walk in the evening is along the river front; nice restaurants etc.
Take the bridge and visit Sentosa Island for a nice view of the port and city.
Chicken Rice at any food court and Chili/Pepper Crab by the 'beach'.
You will end up on Orchard Street anyway - main drag for shopping malls.

Be careful about petty theft, as you would in any Asian city.

Singapore is a friendly place, cops especially. There's been a flood of mainland Chinese recently for 'menial' jobs who may not speak English.

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:49 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 14):
Quoting comorin (Reply 15):

I live in Houston, its like that on a good day. 

I am so hyped up about this!

Kent350787

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:50 pm

For public transport, another option is the Tourist pass, which is SGD20 (plus SGD10 refundable deposit) for 3 days. It covers trains and standard buses.
S340
J31/146-300
F27/F50
Nord 262
Q100/200
E195
733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789
320/321/332/333/345/359

Coal

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:16 am

There are better places in the world for nightlife, and drinking is very expensive. Try Clark Quay, Boat Quay

These are probably the worst places to go out in Singapore. OK, maybe not worst, but I am assuming the OP doesn't want to be hanging out with other tourists who after three beers go home with a ladyboy.

You want a good nightlife? See below (and do a google search for location).

Cocktail bars
- Jigger & Pony
- Cufflink Club
- 28 Hongkong Street (You need a booking - And good luck actually finding the place)
- The Auld Alliance (Try some of their variety of very old Yamazaki varieties)
- The Mad Men Attic Bar
- 83 (Their LIITs are very nice. If you tip - not required - you may get a freebie)

Rooftop bars
- Loof
- 1-Altitude
- Level33 (World's tallest / highest microbrewery)
- Screening Room

Clubs (Admittedly I don't go clubbing that much anymore)
- Mink
- Pangaea
- Zouk

Food - Local / Regional
- Han Kee fish soup (Amoy Food Centre - Best fish soup in town in my opinion)
- Blue Ginger (Very nice Peranakan - That is Malaysian Chinese -- food)
- Rendevouz (The one at Central - Best Nasi Padang in Southeast Asia, even better than in Padang - A city in Indonesia - Former Indonesian president Megawati has been to this place)
- 108 Depot Road Laksa - Best claypot Laksa (Everyone has their own opinion though)
- Hong Lim Complex Bah Kut Teh (One of the two best in town)
- Chinchin (On Purvis St. Good chicken rice and other regional treats)

Food - Non-local - Tired of local food? I've got you covered.
- The French Stall (French food served hawker style)
- Kinki - Foie Gras sushi anyone? (Excellent Japanese fusion)
- Lucha Loco (Best tacos in town, good to line up the stomach before a night of heavy drinking)
- Open Door Policy
- La Maison Fatien

Coffee & Brunch - For the morning after and to cure that b*tch of a hangover
- Tiong Bahru Bakery - The best croissants this side of the Ural mountains
- PS Cafe - Either Dempsey or Ann Siang Hill
- Boomarang - And get a bit of Aussie culture thrown in

Damn, I miss Singapore... Only 10 more days in Jakarta and I'll be back!   

Let me know when you are going. I'd be more than happy to show you around, though unfortunately I am in and out the entire August (Jakarta, then the Andaman sea, then Israel...).

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

Coal

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:22 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 15):
Have a Singapore Sling at Sunday Brunch at Raffles.

I am torn on this one. On the one hand, yes the Singapore Sling was invented at the Raffles Hotel. On the other hand, because ALL the tourists go there   they actually buy it pre-made from an outside supplier.

I'm not sure if you can do this without booking a room, but the pool at the Fullerton is very nice and the Singapore Slings there are made fresh and with fresh pineapple juice (and you can feel the bits and fiber!).

Otherwise, just see my post above on what to do that is not too touristy.

Cheers
Coal

MIAspotter

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 18):
- Han Kee fish soup (Amoy Food Centre - Best fish soup in town in my opinion)

I´ll take that onboard.

Can you also recommend a good Nasi Lemak place?

Quoting Coal (Reply 18):
- Blue Ginger (Very nice Peranakan - That is Malaysian Chinese -- food)

Yup, its on my radar, will visit for sure.

Quoting Coal (Reply 19):
I am torn on this one. On the one hand, yes the Singapore Sling was invented at the Raffles Hotel. On the other hand, because ALL the tourists go there   they actually buy it pre-made from an outside supplier.

I know... but it is THE tourist thing to do... I did it and have no regrets walking around the courtyard afterwards is kinda nice 

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

wunala

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:55 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 11):
I suggest you visit

Marina Bay Sands infinity pool and Sky Park.

The visit comes with a price tag but this is a view that can't be beaten!

Go for a drink at Ku De Ta. For the same price as the lift, yu can get a beer as well.

Coal

Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:54 am

Quoting wunala (Reply 21):
Go for a drink at Ku De Ta. For the same price as the lift, yu can get a beer as well.

1-Altitude is much higher and the view is better.

Also, if you happen to be there on a Thursday and it's (I think) the first (or last?) Thursday of the month, the club New Asia at the top of the Swissotel opens up their helipad. The view is also really good.

Cheers
Coal

allrite

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:05 pm

My favourite tourist attraction in Singapore is the Gardens by the Bay. The Supertrees in the evening/night are like an alien world.

I personally find much of Chinatown to be very sterile, preferred the shophouses of Joo Chiat street, though Singapore is fluid enough not to when charm will be lost from an area.

We found the seafood and satay at the East Coast Lagoon hawker centre to be very good. Good to food/hawker centres and just try things. They are generally very cheap.

In addition to the cheap MRT and taxies there is an airport bus that can be good value for taking you to a hotel, but for 4 people a taxi may be cost effective and more direct.

If you are looking for mobile phone/data access you can get a tourist sim card from the UOB moneychanger at Changi.

I've got a few trip reports covering Singapore if you care to search for them.
I like artificial banana essence!

Kent350787

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:23 pm

Quoting allrite (Reply 23):
If you are looking for mobile phone/data access you can get a tourist sim card from the UOB moneychanger at Changi.

Thanks for this one - now to find whether they do it in a nano  
S340
J31/146-300
F27/F50
Nord 262
Q100/200
E195
320/321/332/333/345/359

ozglobal

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:55 pm

Dress in white linen, pack your wallet with bucks and take a couple of Singapore Slings on the terrace at the Raffles hotel.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Coal

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:00 am

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 24):
Thanks for this one - now to find whether they do it in a nano

Of course! No one has iPhone 4S' let alone iPhone 4. iPhone 5 FTW!

Cheers
Coal

MIAspotter

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:29 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 26):
Of course! No one has iPhone 4S

I do  

And they have it in MicroSim, so I´ll be getting that too in order to stay connected, the hotel I am staying at has never heard of internet, let alone Wi-Fi.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Kent350787

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:27 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 26):
Of course! No one has iPhone 4S' let alone iPhone 4. iPhone 5 FTW!

Another forum wasn't so sure about the nanos, so I've asked the question of starhub - no answer yet, but surely they could cut down. ANd this advice also prompted my about KL, so I think I've got that sorted too!
S340
J31/146-300
F27/F50
Nord 262
Q100/200
E195
320/321/332/333/345/359

Coal

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 am

Wait, which one is which again? Micro is the smallest now, right? In any case, yes you can get a SIM Card, a Nano SIM, and a Micro SIM, the latter probably being the more popular one these days.

Cheers
Coal

Kent350787

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Nano is smallest, for iphone5
S340
J31/146-300
F27/F50
Nord 262
Q100/200
E195
320/321/332/333/345/359

planeguy727

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks to those that offered suggestions. Like the OP I will soon be visiting SIN (10-14 Aug) so the information is most helpful.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Since the flights aren't looking so hot for my trip, our back up plans are SYD and ICN. So, same questions apply!   Thank you in advance!

Kent350787

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Probably best starting a new thread to get SYD tips - allrite and I are prob the only Sydneysiders who might stumble on this thread  
S340
J31/146-300
F27/F50
Nord 262
Q100/200
E195
320/321/332/333/345/359