Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kiwiinoz
Topic Author

What To Do In San Francisco

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:21 am

So I am going to San Francisco in September with a couple of friends. We are there primarily to watch the America's Cup, but have plenty of free time. We have already bought tickets for a Giants game and pretty much have all of the rest of the time spare

Any suggestions?

Generally I like a mix of culture/history, bars and food. In particular, enjoy seeing things that are really unique and characterise a city, (the tram, Alcatraz??)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

AeroWesty

RE: What To Do In San Francisco

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:40 am

Even if you don't want to drive it, click on the wikipedia links for the 49-Mile Drive which takes you on a route to see both famous and little-known sights and attractions along the way. Lots of good suggestions.

Then when you're done with all that, walk across the Golden Gate Bridge to Marin. Bring a heavy coat though, tis windy!
International Homo of Mystery

johns624

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:58 am

Go down to Monterey.

mikeology

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:55 pm

Where do I begin?

If you do the Alcatraz thing try for the night tour. Tickets usually sell out weeks in advance but its a lot more fun. Less tourists. Plus you get to see sun set on boat ride out.

Don't wste your time at the wharf. Just cheesy shops and eateries.

Noe Valley is a great neighborhood.

I suggest spending an afternoon at Dolores Park. Its a very local thing to do. Grab a blanket. Bring some food and alcohol if you dare and enjoy the day. Over looks downtown SF. Even has a MUNI stop/public transportation.

An iconic drinking spot would be the "Tonga Room" at the fairmont. Island/50's tropical theme. Very unique to SF but I would imagine you have something similar back home.

House of Prime Rib is a great and SF only restaurant. Might need to make reservations

As for my personal favorites

I enjoy house music, so for a drink I would suggest Wish in the SOMA distric. Very chill and adult lounge. No youngsters there IMO

For food

Radius, also in the SOMA area. French/American in style. Only use local ingredients.

And also Foreign Cinema. French in style as well. They project mostly foreign films on a large wall while you eat. Very nice

PM me if you have questions or want more suggestions

Quoting johns624 (Reply 2):
Go down to Monterey.

Thats at least an hour and a half drive

Superfly

Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Quoting kiwiinoz (Thread starter):
I am going to San Francisco in September

That's a good time to visit. It's actually warm & sunny that time of year and clear skies.
Mikeology covered much of the good things to see.
Dolores Park and Tonga Room at the Fairmont is pretty cool.
For bars, my favorite is the Toronado in the Lower Haight. They have hundreds of craft micro-brews on tap.
Then there is North Beach which has many great Italian restaurants and nightlife as well.
Take a drive up to Twin Peaks to get a great view of all of San Francisco and the Bay Area.
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 pm

You guys forgot China Town and the excellent Dim Sum! I like Four Seas. The Sunset has excellent Dim Sum, too.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

chrisair

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:12 pm

Quoting mikeology (Reply 3):
House of Prime Rib is a great and SF only restaurant. Might need to make reservations

+1. This place is fantastic. Reservations are needed and when I went in Nov with some work folks, we waited 20 minutes after our reservation time because they were so busy. Great place though. Go hungry.

In particular, enjoy seeing things that are really unique and characterise a city, (the tram,

DO NOT call it a "tram." It's a Cable Car. If you go to House of Prime Rib and are staying by the Embarcadero, just hop on the California Street Cable Car line. It dead ends at Van Ness and you can walk to the restaurant from there--it's a 5 minute walk.

Airstud

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:11 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 6):
DO NOT call it a "tram." It's a Cable Car.

AND DON'T CALL AND Irtysh-Avia (Kazakhstan)">IT A "TROLLEY" EITHER!!!!!!!!!

Skip Alcatraz. It's a disused federal prison, for Pete's sake, that's all it is. Musty, rusty, dilapidated and gross. If you want to get out on the water, take the ferry up to Angel Island; that is worth going to.

Also skip Fisherman's Wharf; as Mikeology said it's all beyond cheesy, beyond touristy, and makes Tijuana look like the Metropolitan Museum of Art. However, just west of there is one of our national maritime museums - I think it's officially called "San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park." It's free but it would be worth it even if they charged $10-20. Truly a superb maritime museum (and I've been to the one in Halifax!)

Random restaurant recommendations: Polkers Gourmet Hamburgers. On Polk Street in Russian Hill, actually walking distance (15 min or so) from the maritime museum. (I used to go there a lot just to gawk at the astonishing illiteracy evident in the menu; I mean one of their offerings had "chedder cheese" and another had "jopolenos." This was in the 1990's though; they might have fixed it since then.)

Also on the casual side is Uncle Vito's (Powell & Bush streets, Nob Hill). It's a great location even though the menu is hit and miss. Avoid the lasagne, but they always did a nice pasta; there was a green linguine with pine nuts and also a spaghetti olio with broccoli (mmmmm, broccoli) and excellent appetizers like grilled zuchini or fried mushrooms. Good selection of beers too. Your visit to SF is incomplete without an Anchor Steam.   

I lived in SF for 16+ years and it was really a terrible place for me to live, but even a committed hater like myself has to admit there's ten million great things for a visitor to do there. Even with that said I'm not sure I can give any more advice than any ol' guidebook, but one cool thing I always enjoy pointing out is the curving, yes curving escalators at Westfield Centre. I think they are one of only two such sets o' curvy escalators in the world.

And, at the foot of Market Street itself is the revived Ferry Building. Once the busiest transportation terminal in the United States, when nearly every streetcar line in the city originated & destinated there and linked to the myriad ferry services that would later be supplanted by road bridges, its ground floor now houses a delightful array of gourmet food shops & stands. There's a bread bakery, a little fish market, and I think there's a stand that only sells mushrooms!! A good bit of actual ferry traffic still departs from yon Ferry Building, too. Try the M.V. Zelinsky up to upscale Tiburon in Marin County ( I think that's part of how you get to Angel island).

Another thing you shouldn't miss is City Hall. The centerpiece of the largest collection of Beaux Arts architecture in the United States, it is an impossibly gorgeous creation far, far, worthier than the city it serves (yeah I said it). Architect Arthur Brown Jr, who won a prize for designing the almost equally magnificent Temple Emanu-El (Lake Street & Arguello, Presidio Heights) in 1925, co-created it with business partner John Bakewell. The awesome Santa Fe Depot in San Diego, built for the Panama-Pacific International Expo in 1915, is also by Bakewell & Brown; the only architecture firm whose name also occurs in cookie recipes.

Mmmmmmmm... cookies.

[Edited 2013-07-31 19:06:03]
Pancakes are delicious.

mdsh00

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:19 am

I agree to skip Alcatraz and Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf.

If you like scenic views, the view from Twin Peaks or the Marin Headlands (other side of the Golden Gate Bridge) are great.

kiwiinoz
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:49 am

Guys, thanks this is really great. THere are a lot of suggestions here that we have not even come across so it has really added a lot to our trip.

AirCanada787

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:15 am

One of my favourite things to do in SF is to go to an amazing bar called Bourbon and Branch. Its actually a speakeasy. There is no sign outside and you need a reservation and they send you the password for that day. Remember it! I've seen people turned away who didn't have it. It has a massive drink menu and great atmosphere (no cell phones allowed) and can be a great place for before or after dinner drinks and conversation with friends.

They have a website where you can request reservations and learn more.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

Confuscius

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:43 am

What To Do In San Francisco

Watch a show and get a massage.

Ain't I a stinker?

johns624

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:49 am

Quoting mikeology (Reply 3):
Thats at least an hour and a half drive

Yeah, but if you're flying halfway around the world, why wouldn't you do it?

bohica

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:22 am

Carry a sweatshirt with you at all times. Regardless of the WX forecast, the fog can roll in at any time and the temperature suddenly drops 20 degrees. If you're not prepared, you will be cold. Consider this a friendly warning.   Also just because it is sunny downtown doesn't mean the rest of the city is sunny. The Richmond and Sunset districts are notorious for being foggy for days at a time.

chrisair

Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 am

Quoting bohica (Reply 13):
Carry a sweatshirt with you at all times.

+1! The locals (I grew up in the Bay Area) can spot a tourist a mile away. They are wearing short sleeves or shorts (or both!) OR they have those cheesy "San Francisco" sweatshirts. 
Quoting Airstud (Reply 7):
Also skip Fisherman's Wharf;

The only thing worth going to at the Wharf is Boudins. Go later in the evening when it's less crowded. Other than that the Wharf is worth looking at from a distance.

Go to the Marin Headlands too. It's spectacular over there.

Superfly

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Also skip Fisherman's Wharf;

I bet most of the crap at the Wharf is down at the Oprah House in Sydney.

Your visit to SF is incomplete without an Anchor Steam.

Go on the Anchor Steam tour as well.
Me and Falstaff went on it back in 2007.

And, at the foot of Market Street itself is the revived Ferry Building

Over-rated, over-priced farmers market.
I wish the Embarcadero Freeway (I-480) was still there.

Quoting mdsh00 (Reply 8):
I agree to skip Alcatraz and Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf.

Quoting mdsh00 (Reply 8):
If you like scenic views, the view from Twin Peaks or the Marin Headlands (other side of the Golden Gate Bridge) are great.

...but make sure you get a rental car for this journey.

Quoting AirCanada787 (Reply 10):
an amazing bar called Bourbon and Branch

I've been there a few times!
Great place for drinks.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 11):
Watch a show and get a massage.

Thanks for reminding me that I was once slim.
Much slimmer!

Quoting bohica (Reply 13):
The Richmond and Sunset districts are notorious for being foggy for days at a time.

Not in September.

Quoting chrisair (Reply 14):
The only thing worth going to at the Wharf is Boudins. Go later in the evening when it's less crowded.

There are a few more Boudins throughout San Francisco. It's just hard bread. Safeway has better bread and much cheaper (.99 cents for an entire loaf).
Once night sets in, the Wharf is taken over by rats.
That is why I never eat down there - day or night.
Bring back the Concorde

zckls04

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:52 pm

Have to disagree about Bourbon and Branch. It's called a "Speakeasy" but it's full of hipsters and serves 12 dollar cocktails. Aside from the "password" gimmick it's a pretty uninspiring place.

If you're around on a Saturday afternoon I recommend dropping into the Savoy Tivoli (at Union & Grant) to watch the Mal Sharpe Band. Basically a bunch of geriatrics playing 40s swing music. It's very SF and absolutely ace. You can then if you're still in a musical mood check out the Saloon- a blues bar at Vallejo & Grant. They have some great music there on Saturday night.

Both bars are over 100 years old and are true San Francisco institutions, rather than the more "Disney" feel of B&B.

While in the bars if you're brave have a shot of Fernet Branca, which people in SF drank during prohibition, supposedly because it was classed as a medicine. That should give you an idea of what it tastes like. In the words of an SF Weekly columnist, "if you can imagine getting punched squarely in the nose while sucking on a mentholated cough drop, you'll have an idea of Fernet-Branca's indelicate first impressions..". SF drinks more per capita than anywhere, even its native Italy. Have a ginger ale chaser if you want to take the taste away.

If you have a car you should drive up to Hawk Hill in the Marin Headlands for the best aerial view of the city. Use google maps to tell you how to get there. If you're lucky there will be a some fog (although in September it's rare) and you'll see the iconic view of the Golden Gate poking out of the clouds.

Of course it would be remiss of me not to at least suggest going to Napa (again assuming you have a car). I could write a small book on stuff to do there, but I won't bother unless you decide that's a place you want to go.
Four Granavox Turbines!

mikeology

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 16):
While in the bars if you're brave have a shot of Fernet Branca, which people in SF drank during prohibition, supposedly because it was classed as a medicine. That should give you an idea of what it tastes like. In the words of an SF Weekly columnist, "if you can imagine getting punched squarely in the nose while sucking on a mentholated cough drop, you'll have an idea of Fernet-Branca's indelicate first impressions..". SF drinks more per capita than anywhere, even its native Italy. Have a ginger ale chaser if you want to take the taste away.

Second that. zckls04 has it right. I think SF consumption is something like %25 worldwide?

I feel as if i'm the only native that likes it too. All my friends give me a crazy look when I order a shot

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 16):
Have to disagree about Bourbon and Branch. It's called a "Speakeasy" but it's full of hipsters and serves 12 dollar cocktails. Aside from the "password" gimmick it's a pretty uninspiring place.

Its really not that great or worth the price of drinks.

SF really covers all bases so depending on what vibe/music you like you'll have no problem finding a good place to drink

QANTAS077

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 am

I'm headed over in a few weeks and would love some restaurant suggestions...I have a friend who'll be taking me around so getting from A to B is no issue. I'd like to take her for a nice dinner at a fine restaurant. Kiwi, where are you staying?

[Edited 2013-08-02 02:21:36]

Aeri28

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:35 pm

well I disagree completely with those who said to avoid alcatrraz,. I think Alcatraz is one of the best historical landmarks in SF if not the US. You basically know the history, a federal penetentiary until a certain year, but the history of the inmates who were housed there is fascinating, Its incredible to walk among the preserved prison, see the cells, the food hall, walking where the inmates got exercise and looked out the cold gray bay over to San Francisco. The ride over is thrilling, to a small island right in the middle of the bay, city getting farther and farther until you disembark.

As 'hip" as SF is or becoming, and the fact that its losing some of its charm due to the tech industry and an influx of WASP hipsters working at Google et al, it's so wonderful to see such history preserved and still accessibile to the general public, I do agree with an above poster, try to see it on the night tour, incomparable eeriness, the light towers flood lit and the cold dark bay waters crashing against the rocks make for a great evening.

Man, if it were 15 years ago (humor me here - I'm going down memory lane to a land far gone), I would say have a drink at Tosca or Vesuvio on Broadway, stand in line for some great italian food at US Restaurant (the old one where Columbus, Vallejo and Stockton sts meet), hit Mara's for a caffee latte and a napolean, or hit Castro street and sit under the heat lamps at the Patio Cafe and their huge outdoor patio restaurant. "Sigh". lol.

have a great time though, it's still a beautiful city. Good suggestions otherwise from people who know it better now,

although my favorite pizza stand is Golden Boy in north beach, on Green St or Vallejo St, Get the clam and garlic. Funny, I always mention to people the Clam and GArlic pesto pizza I used to have in SF and most people outside of San Fran have never heard of it. Maybe it's an SF tradition. . So good.

[Edited 2013-08-02 06:38:15]

Aeri28

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
I wish the Embarcadero Freeway (I-480) was still there.

That's a shocking admission. I think you and the Chinese (chinatown businesses) are the only ones I've heard who wish it was still there. I still remember how great it was when they tore that thing down after the 1989 earthquake. It completely blocked and cut off a 100 year old Ferry Building and once vibrant ferry plaza to the city beyond it with that monstrosity of a freeway. One of the sadest things to be constructed in SF (except for the "revitalization and rehabilitation" of the Western Addition in the 1960s), and to think there were plans to run it through the city and through Golden Gate park in the 50s.. shudder.

look how absolutely sad the Ferry Building is when that freeway was there. Now the area is vibrant and alive.
http://lostsf.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/embarcadero_freeway.jpg

rwy04lga

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:28 pm

I admit I didn't read every post thoroughly so I may have missed these two points of interest.

1) If you've watched 'Full House', you'll recognize 'The Painted Ladies' near Alamo Square Park.
2) The crookedest street in the world...Lombard Street.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Superfly

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 19):
As 'hip" as SF is or becoming, and the fact that its losing some of its charm due to the tech industry and an influx of WASP hipsters working at Google et al,

Well said!
What I find so ironic is that these people think they're so liberal, tolerant and concerned about the poor yet they are the very people pricing out working class people from the city.

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 20):
That's a shocking admission. I think you and the Chinese (chinatown businesses) are the only ones I've heard who wish it was still there.

Pretty much.
I'm not a fan of the expensive, imported palm trees and the 'revived' Ferry Building. What you have there now are very expensive shops that most people go and window shop - not buy anything. Sorry but I do not see shops selling small baskets of olives for $30 and over-priced picture frames and soap as 'progress'.
Also the real estate next to the Embarcadero Freeway shot up 10-fold and priced out a lot of working class and artistic people as a result. Many buildings next to the freeways were used for band practice, art studios and other alternative lifestyle people that aren't concerned about freeway noise. THAT is how 'affordable housing' is created - not the endless bond measures on every election that claims to create affordable housing.
Looking at the skyline from treasure island with the Embarcadero freeway looked like a ribbon tired around the tall skyscrappers which I think looked neat. It also got traffic to & from the Bay Bridge to North Beach, Chinatown and Marina much quicker - especially at night when there is no traffic. Instead, more traffic is at the ground level and travel time has increased. The removal of the Embarcadero Freeway only benefited the few millionaires who can afford expensive condos down there. I can jog, ride a bicycle in many other parts of town, nor do me or most people have any desire to buy a bar of soap for $20 at the Ferry Building. Many people go to this 'revived' Ferry Building with excitement only to realize that it's full of really expensive junk.
The Ferry Building always served it's purpose for the ferries even when the Embarcadero Freeway was there.

The city has lost it's soul and it's a shame that all of the manufacturing in the SOMA, Dog Patch, Potrero Hill and Bayshore is gone. The city is becoming a sterilized doll house for the elites.
I lived there 15 years and have many great memories but I have no desire to move back.

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 20):
It completely blocked and cut off a 100 year old Ferry Building

The view was only obstructed from the angle in your link. Through most of Market street, you can still see the Ferry Building, even when the Embarcadero Freeway was present.

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 21):
1) If you've watched 'Full House', you'll recognize 'The Painted Ladies' near Alamo Square Park.

Huh?
I think you meant the TV show 'Too Close For Comfort'.
Bring back the Concorde

rwy04lga

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:00 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
Huh?
I think you meant the TV show 'Too Close For Comfort'.

The two story red house, seen at the opening and closing of each episode of 'Too Close For Comfort', was shot at 171–173 Buena Vista Avenue, near Buena Vista Park.

The last shot of the opening credits of 'Full House' features the cast having a picnic in Alamo Square Park in front of the row of Painted Ladies.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Superfly

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:09 am

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 23):

That's is correct.
Why is it associated with Too Close For Comfort?
I've never watched Full House so it's not like I got the two mixed up.
Bring back the Concorde

KRIC777

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:14 am

I just spent 3 weeks in SanFran for work. Look forward to burning calories avoiding/ignoring/fighting with/paying off panhandlers on nearly every corner. While a beautiful city with a ton of great restaurants and culture, the panhandlers are out of control, and the City Council is too left-leaning and gutless to pass an ordinance to control them. They are a gigantic zit on the otherwise beautiful face of San Francisco.

sbworcs

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:27 am

Spent 5 days in San Francisco in 2008.

Spend some time walking and looking
I did mostly tourist things but enjoyed Alcatraz (book in Advance). Also did a helicopter flight over the city.

I was quite lucky though as my tour operator sold city passes which cost $100 at the time but gave me unlimited transport (including cable cars which was great as my hotel was on the corner of a point where the lines crossed). It also included a harbour cruise, 1/2 day city tour and entry into about 10-15 other things.

I can't wait to go back !
The best way forwards is upwards!

kingairta

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:31 pm

I always liked golden gate park and the steinhert(sp?) Aquarium is one of my favorites.

zckls04

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:01 am

I would say have a drink at Tosca or Vesuvio on Broadway

Why not any more? Vesuvio's at least is exactly as it has always been. As you will realize if you visit the toilets!

well I disagree completely with those who said to avoid alcatrraz,.

I'm with you. Alcatraz is a unique place. It's not overpriced and the (award-winning) audio tour is probably the best I've ever heard.

Quoting qantas077 (Reply 18):
I'm headed over in a few weeks and would love some restaurant suggestions...I have a friend who'll be taking me around so getting from A to B is no issue

I personally love taking people to Gary Danko; it's by a distance my favorite SF restaurant. But you will need to reserve well in advance. The French Laundry is more famous, but at approx $1000 per head it's overpriced.

If you make it up to Sonoma (maybe for lunch?) the Girl and the Fig is a wonderful place. Again, reservations are essential.
Four Granavox Turbines!

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:08 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 28):
I personally love taking people to Gary Danko; it's by a distance my favorite SF restaurant.

It's too bad that Doggie Diner closed down. That's real San Francisco eatin'.

mikeology

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:31 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 28):
I personally love taking people to Gary Danko; it's by a distance my favorite SF restaurant. But you will need to reserve well in advance. The French Laundry is more famous, but at approx $1000 per head it's overpriced.

Its actually only $270 a person. Not that it makes it any better. I still hope to try someday though

Superfly

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:31 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 29):

Agreed. I have friend that used to work there. It was called The Carrousel before it closed.
For that style of food, I prefer the Tennessee Grill on Taravel.

Quoting kric777 (Reply 25):

Agreed but there are many other problems besides the homeless that is annoying about San Francisco.
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:48 am

Quoting superfly (Reply 31):
I prefer the Tennessee Grill on Taravel.

The DD's were mainly walk-up joints where you got dogs, chili dogs and one of the best pastrami sandwiches around.

Superfly

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:58 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 32):

True but I always sat inside and hung around to flirt with the waitress.
I know it used to be a local chain but I only went to the one on Sloat across from the zoo.
It's always cool and foggy over there so I prefer to be indoors.
Bring back the Concorde

Bongodog1964

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Fishermans wharf, tat on stilts, well worth avoiding
Ferry building - as stated by others full of over priced artisan food stalls, no one buying just lots looking.
Alcataz, yes its a disused prison, but to a UK resident its so alien to anything we have/have ever had and you can feel the despair in the place, well worth a visit.
Boudin bakery, I could (did) stand for ages watching the machinery making the bread, and the bakers making the specials in the window.
Cable cars - of course you have to, especially to hang off the side.
Cable car museum - good for an hour or so.
Wells Fargo museum - all about the banking system and the stage coaches heading west.
Napa & Sonoma valleys - hire a car and spend a day in wine country, pick one or two of the less commercialised wineries, last time we went to Benzinger as it appeared a little more interesting that some of the others, it was.
China town, buckets of live toads and who knows what else, plus the fortune cookie factory in a back alley, the machine they use is like something out of the steam age.
Golden gate park - interesting gardens
Ghiradelli choclate factory - not worth the walk even if you are next door, just a poor exhibition and an opportunity to sell over prriced ice cream sundaes
maritime museum - very good the ships include full displays inside, inclding a ship that used to run up to the Alaska salmon canneries and a local ferry boat complete with period vehicles on board.
As to food, we had a five year old in tow so we were a little restricted, but it appeared that there is an awful lot of crimes against cuisine set up to catch the tourists, the seagulls seemed happy though with all the discarded sour dough rolls that had held clam chowder.

zckls04

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Quoting mikeology (Reply 30):
Its actually only $270 a person.

My last bill for 2 was $1500. The one before that for 4 was $3600. So I'm rounding up, but not by a lot.

$270 gets you the food with none of the add-ons, wine pairing, service etc. In reality you'll pay far more unless you are teetotal and on a budget. And if you are, then what's the point in going there?

$270 will buy you everything at Gary Danko though!
Four Granavox Turbines!

Superfly

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 34):
Ferry building - as stated by others full of over priced artisan food stalls, no one buying just lots looking.

Yep!
The Ferry building is so over-rated and the Embarcadero Freeway was so much more useful to the city than media people and politicians let on. The over-priced soap shops could have still opened up with the freeway still there.

Boudin bakery, I could (did) stand for ages watching the machinery making the bread, and the bakers making the specials in the window.

It would be far more interesting if they added actors playing an 'I Love Lucy' spoof along with the bread manufacturing.

China town, buckets of live toads and who knows what else,

Not any more. The left-wing, animal rights activist that think they're so tolerant of other cultures shut that down because it didn't suit their own 'academic' perspective on diversity....
Bring back the Concorde

Bongodog1964

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:35 pm

Quoting superfly (Reply 36):
Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 34):China town, buckets of live toads and who knows what else,
Not any more. The left-wing, animal rights activist that think they're so tolerant of other cultures shut that down because it didn't suit their own 'academic' perspective on diversity....

We wondered why we couldn't find any on our last visit our daughter was most disappointed.

Superfly

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 37):
We wondered why we couldn't find any on our last visit our daughter was most disappointed.

Frikkin' do-gooder liberal activist that claim to love the Chinese so much and want to 'free Tibet' but do not approve of all of their cultural dietary norms. Therefore they ran to city hall and banned the sale of frogs.
Yet it's perfectly fine to go to a super expensive French restaurant and order frog....
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:48 pm

The ban on live frogs and turtles for sale had to do with the problem of people releasing non-native imported species into fragile wildlife habitats. Domestic frogs and turtles are still allowed. This was decided at the state level, not city hall.

Superfly

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Frikkin' do-gooder liberal activist that claim to love the Chinese so much and want to 'free Tibet' but do not approve of all of their cultural dietary norms. Therefore they ran to Sacramento to ban the sale of frogs.
Yet it's perfectly fine to go to a super expensive French restaurant and order frog....

http://www.sfgate.com/restaurants/ar...le-frog-sales-assailed-3265284.php

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 39):
The ban on live frogs and turtles for sale had to do with the problem of people releasing non-native imported species into fragile wildlife habitats. Domestic frogs and turtles are still allowed.

Those frogs sold at grocery stores in the Sunset and Chinatown were not being released in to streams, nor used as house pets. They were made for dinner.
The racist, left-wing animal lovers are so insensitive to other cultures.
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Quoting superfly (Reply 40):
Those frogs sold at grocery stores in the Sunset and Chinatown were not being released in to streams, nor used as house pets. They were made for dinner.

There was no way to distinguish between the two uses at the port of entry, so a total ban had to go into effect. I'd much rather have pristine wildlife areas and domestic frogs on the dinner table, truth be told. Solves both problems at once.

Superfly

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 41):
There was no way to distinguish between the two uses at the port of entry, so a total ban had to go into effect. I'd much rather have pristine wildlife areas and domestic frogs on the dinner table, truth be told. Solves both problems at once.

Key word; "at the port of entry".
Total ban was unnecessary. Now you have black-market frogs.
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Quoting superfly (Reply 42):
Now you have black-market frogs.

Toss the perps in jail. Sorry but I don't think they serve frog legs on the menu at San Quentin. Sad. I'm sure that's racist somehow too. How dare they not serve imported frogs legs behind bars.

zckls04

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:05 am

Quoting superfly (Reply 40):
Frikkin' do-gooder liberal activist that claim to love the Chinese so much and want to 'free Tibet' but do not approve of all of their cultural dietary norms.

Nor do they have any respect for my cultural norms, namely eating Foie Gras. It pisses me off no end.
Four Granavox Turbines!