Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Grisee08
Topic Author

The Obama Lunch Program: Thoughts?

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:10 pm

http://www.reagancoalition.com/artic...0130730009-school-lunch-waste.html

I haven't heard too much about this, but if this is true as stated in the article, it appears that this could be a problem. What are your thoughts on this? Please don't turn this into a political storm, and try to stick to the topic. Thanks 

AeroWesty

RE: The Obama Lunch Program: Thoughts?

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:20 pm

What's an example of the changes? We always had fresh fruit and veg in our school lunches when I went to school.

einsteinboricua

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Yeah...the source you posted sounds completely unbiased at all and looks completely legit.

We complain that the country is facing an obesity problem, so when the government tries to correct that by encouraging healthy eating habits, it's either too costly or infringing on a family's right to have obese kids. All I see is a push to put more healthy stuff in the menu. That kids today prefer fries and pizza over fruit and vegetables is something to be corrected at home.

rfields5421

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:38 pm

My sister retired in 1994 after 20 years as a classroom special education teacher.

She now runs the school lunch program for the school district.

Accordiing to her - the biggest financial issue schools face is politicians trying to dictate social policy with school menus.

Be it the current push for more vegetable servings, or the previous administration push to remove sweets, sodas, etc - from the schools.

Yes, the kids should have healthier food served to them. Both Republicans and Democrats in Congress and state goverments agree on that. And usually agree on the implementation policies.

The proposals in the original linked article have wide support from conservative Republicans in addition to Democrats. State governors like Rick Perry have pushed similar measures at the state level. According to my sister in Arkansas, Mike Huckabee was a nightmare constantly fiddling with the menu requirements to make them healthier.

The problem is kids want food like hamburgers, fries, chicken nuggets, pizza, etc.

In elementary schools - the vegtables are often thrown away. If you have 8 and 11 year old children like my grandkids - you know that.

In middle school and high school - many kids skip lunches rather than eat 'healthy' meals. How much milk do you think gets consumed in high school - compared to soda?

The interesting thing is that the 'poor kids' tend to eat more of the healthy foods, and the middle class and upper class kids are the ones who choose to skip lunch or trash the vegtables.

The only thing the article tells me - is that kids will be kids.

[Edited 2013-08-03 12:42:54]

Grisee08
Topic Author

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 2):

I didn't really make myself clear on what the "problem" could be, so my mistake.

The problem could be that kids will not want to eat, and could actually cause problems in dietary. (so when they get home, they will not chow down on unhealthy foods) It isn't the fact that healthier meals are offered that is the problem, but kids these days are so used to eating McDonalds, Burger King, and the like that they don't want to eat healthy foods. It was this way when I was in school. My parents made me eat the school lunch, or my mom would pack me a ham/turkey sandwich, but I would see parents bring their kids McDonalds and such.

However, while I agree with eating healthier, and schools offering healthier items, but I also feel like kids should at the very least have a choice. That way, the school can say "We offer the healthy choice, but it's the students who choose to eat the pizza. At my school, there were 4 lunch lines. One offered the healthy meal, one offered Pizza, one offered Hamburgers (Soy Burgers), and the other offered Salads.

AeroWesty

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Quoting Grisee08 (Reply 4):
I would see parents bring their kids McDonalds and such.

Wait, parents drive to McDonald's, then to school, then home again, just to put trash food in the hands of their kids for lunch? No wonder we have an obesity problem. If I demanded that as a kid my folks would probably seriously consider sending me to a psychiatrist, for certainly that would have been a warning sign of some type of mental disorder for thinking it to be reasonable.

Now, how about answering my question as to what the changes are that you claim to be a waste of funds?

rfields5421

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:49 pm

but I also feel like kids should at the very least have a choice.

Politicians - based on the ground up push from parents - have been removing choice from school menus for 20+ years.

Both at the state level and at the federal level.

Republicans in Texas and Arkansas removed candy and chip machines, tried to remove soda machines from the schools, and pushed to eliminate fatty fried foods. The Republican Party during the Bush administration also pushed some of those type items. Democrats have pushed at the state and national level to also increase the 'healthiness' of school breakfast and lunch programs.

The problem is that given a choice, most kids are not going to choose the healthy option.

What will happen is what happened in the past - the kids will choose the burger and fries in greater numbers, making the salads and vegetables relatively more expensive. And those options will go away.

flymia

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:52 pm

I probably ate fast food once or twice a week from when I was 5 till 20 years old. I ate some vegetables and stuff too but kids are gonna eat what they want to eat. It is the parents jobs to teach kids healthy habits. The schools should have choices but the schools also don't have unlimited funds.

What's the problem? With obesity and unhealthy kids and country all around. The amount of food I ate when I was younger all the way until a few years ago and even once in a while now was pretty impressive and it all certainly was not healthy. But I actually did physical activity and a lot of it. When I played high school football and basektabll I was putting in almost 4,000-5,000 calories a day and even lost weight. Why? Because a ton of physical activity. That's the problem kids just want to be on the computer, play video games, social media all day etc.. When I see 2-4 years using an iPhone better than my parents I just think how wrong that seems.

Mir

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:29 pm

The problem could be that kids will not want to eat, and could actually cause problems in dietary. (so when they get home, they will not chow down on unhealthy foods) It isn't the fact that healthier meals are offered that is the problem, but kids these days are so used to eating McDonalds, Burger King, and the like that they don't want to eat healthy foods.

That is a problem, but that doesn't mean that the government should be an enabler of that problem by just caving in and going back to the unhealthy lunches. There's a lot of stuff that kids don't want to do that they have to do anyway. I don't see why eating vegetables shouldn't be one of them.

However, while I agree with eating healthier, and schools offering healthier items, but I also feel like kids should at the very least have a choice.

A choice between healthy and unhealthy stuff? I don't think so - not only would it cost more, but if the goal is to get kids to eat healthier then you'd be completely working against that.

-Mir

srbmod

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:56 pm

We had a Coke machine and a vending machine at our school, but they were only turned on before school and after school. That didn't stop kids from taking their lunch money and buying a soda and a candy bar (or bag of chips) and eating it later as their lunch or skipping lunch and getting something from them after school. A handful of kids would leave campus and hit a fast food place, but the nearest ones were a 10 minute drive from campus and it wasn't worth risking getting in trouble for leaving campus.

When I was growing up, I ate fast food maybe 2-3 times a month. Back then, the portion sizes were a lot smaller than they are now. What's considered a small these days was a medium 20-25 years ago, and what is considered a medium these days was a large 20-25 years ago.

How long before schools are forced to have as many meal options as the airlines do? A vegetarian meal, a vegan meal, a gluten-free meal, etc.......

Boeing717200

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:00 pm

The problem isn't the lunch, the problem is a lack of exercise. When I was a kid, we ran the streets all summer and played hard during recess. Something went very wrong in the late 80's to early 90's.

Okie

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 6):
What will happen is what happened in the past - the kids will choose the burger and fries in greater numbers, making the salads and vegetables relatively more expensive. And those options will go away

That would be true in a market based system, unfortunately it appears to be a federal mandate.

What happens is that everyone from the parents approaching the school board all the way up the ladder to state and federal level that has a better idea. The process is influenced by special interest groups from top to bottom. Geez, how in the world would ketchup be classified a vegetable instead of a condiment if John Kerry (Heinz) was not involved. Throw in the massive quantities of "pink slime" required in school products. Next thing you know the government will be requiring Soylent Green for lunch.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 9):
We had a Coke machine and a vending machine at our school, but they were only turned on before school and after school

We had the same set up but only available in the afternoons and only in high school.

The bottom line is that school children will not eat and throw away what they do not want. That has been school children's choice since schools started providing lunch. I know I passed or threw away a lot of what was offered me at school often just skipping lunch rather than eat what was offered.

The school lunch programs are roads paved with good intentions, influenced from every level of government and special interest groups without any concept of what the end consumer will eat whether they are hungry or not.
I can not for the life of me from my experience in school see where it was the schools lunch program that was responsible children being obese. Those food products responsible for that came from before and after school hours which is the parents responsibly.

Okie

falstaff

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:56 pm

I have some insight on this as I teach in a public high school and used to be a lunch program coordinator in a charter school.

Republicans in Texas and Arkansas removed candy and chip machines, tried to remove soda machines from the schools, and pushed to eliminate fatty fried foods

It was done under the Democrats in Michigan.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 2):
eah...the source you posted sounds completely unbiased at all and looks completely legit.

I lean fairly far to the right, which sometimes makes me unpopular with my fellow educators, but I will say that the Republicans have been proponents of a lunch system in Michigan that really wastes money, but just not the state's money.

Over the last few years Michigan has pushed more and more schools into privatizing their lunch program to cut costs. My school district did this two years ago. Were costs to us cut, yes. We spend a lot less for lunch and all that is related to it than we did a few years ago. We routinely broke even or lost a small amount on school lunch every year, but the when the Republicans came back in (who I voted for) they started to request schools to privatize certain functions to save money. The schools faced reduced funding if they didn't comply.

Over the last two years the privatized school lunch program has lost over $1,000,000 at our school district alone, but the cost we pay is less than what we were paying when we ran it ourselves. You may ask how can a private company make money if its losses more than it earns. That is simple. The school lunch provider takes a loss at our middle class school with few people on free or reduced lunch, but makes up for that in poor urban schools have 75% or more kids on free and reduced lunch. The lunch provider makes its money off the federal government not the state. No school food service provider would exist without federal free and reduced lunch. So the companies that many conservatives say are making a profit where the local schools couldn't are making huge sums of money from the federal government. If a company cannot exist without public money than it really isn't private in my book.

Quoting flymia (Reply 7):
What's the problem? With obesity and unhealthy kids and country all around. The amount of food I ate when I was younger all the way until a few years ago and even once in a while now was pretty impressive and it all certainly was not healthy. But I actually did physical activity and a lot of it.

Physical activity is very important. I can count the number of obese kids at my school on two hands (we have about 1000 students) and about 75% of our students participate in a sport or activity of some kind. The obese students I have usually have not participated in anything. I see a lot of in shape students eat stuff that is bad for you and they eat it in large volumes, but they burn it off. Some of the biggest eaters I have are some of my most in shape and active students. You ought to see my swimmers, track runners, hockey players and footballers (both kinds of football) eat. They could eat unhealthy all day it it won't hurt them.

I used to teach in a small Detroit charter high school where 92% of our students were on federal free and reduced lunch. Because it was a charter school making a profit was important and anything that wasn't academically necessary was not done. the school and the students were a complete disaster, but we sure looked nice, had a great name, and impressed a lot of politicians with our flashy publications. The amount of massively obese students we had was probably in 50-60% range. We had many students and parents come to look at the school, but upon seeing we had no sports they enrolled elsewhere. Eventually they figured that by having some sports we would attract more kids, thus earning the company more money, we decided to offer basketball and cheer leading. Not a single kid who tried out for the team was obese, because they were all kids who regularly played sports (some in organized leagues other just on the street). The same story was true when it came to the cheerleaders. The cheer and basketball team members where some of the most fit, best, and productive students in the building. The school decided it was advantageous to go after more sports after two years of success on the basketball court. I don't know how it turned out as I got a new job, at the school I teach at now.

Quoting flymia (Reply 7):
That's the problem kids just want to be on the computer, play video games, social media all day etc.. When I see 2-4 years using an iPhone better than my parents I just think how wrong that seems.

I have met a good number of parents of high schoolers who actually like the fact that their kids sit in front of a computer or TV a lot. They tell me "at least I know he is safe at home" or "This world is so dangerous I am thankful he home all the time" Almost every time I hear that about a kid it comes from a big fat parent who has a big fat kid. My mom works with 5 year olds and has parents say the same thing. She teaches in a neighborhood that is very affluent, but she has parents who won't let their kids outside because something bad could happen or they could get hurt.

At my school, there were 4 lunch lines. One offered the healthy meal, one offered Pizza, one offered Hamburgers (Soy Burgers), and the other offered Salads.

My high school was like that and the school where I teach is like that. The "healthy" meal was the only thing you could get for free and reduced lunch and that is still true.

Something many of you may not know is that a school who receives free and reduced lunch money must have a lunch that meets federal guidelines in terms of proper balance. A school or school lunch provider must meet these requirements.

Back when the charter school I taught at was too small for federal free and reduced lunch we managed our own lunch program. I ordered the sandwiches from a local company. The sandwiches where made with good quality meats, great bread, and fresh vegetables. We offered apples, oranges, banana, plus a line up of unhealthy items (cookies and chips). We could order about 40 different sandwiches and because we were a good customer we could order variations that weren't on the menu. The students loved our sandwiches and many students would request a particular sandwich made a certain way. We actually made a small amount of money on our lunch program. After a few years our school grew and we had to offer the federal free and reduced lunch program. Out the door went our fresh sandwiches and fresh fruit, which were very popular, even with the obese kids. We had have meals which met the proper balance required by the federal government. The sandwich maker was not interested in jumping through all the hoops to become a lunch provider, because we were the only school they sold to. They sold to a lot of convenience stores, grocery stores and jails. According to federal guidelines their food was not good enough for school age kids.

The food we got from certified food service provider (we tried several) was terrible for the kids, but met the proper requirements. the portions were very small for high schoolers and the quality was terrible. Away went our fresh sandwiches and in came soggy pizza, soggy chicken nuggets, bland burgers. Gone were our apples and oranges and in were "fruit cups" of sugary canned vegetables. Eventually the school grew to 92% free and reduced lunch so in the long run we had no choice, we couldn't have made money selling food.

I usually bring my lunch to work, but I do eat in the school cafeteria once a week or so. The lunch provider we have actually has some pretty good stuff. They lose money on us and make it up in the poor schools. At first the students, and me, complained about not having tater tots every day or french fries, but after a while they came around. We still offer pizza and burgers, but because of the good variety of other stuff the bad stuff isn't all the kids buy. We also have a lot of students bring lunch from home. Some of my students bring in sandwiches from home that make a sandwich lover like me drool.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 3):
many kids skip lunches rather than eat 'healthy' meals. How much milk do you think gets consumed in high school - compared to soda?

You'd be surprised how much milk gets consumed in a high school. I find the milk case low on white milk on a regular basis. We offer breakfast at my school, which is very popular. Not much milk goes at lunch (except for free and reduced students and they drink it too) but a lot of milk and OJ are sold in the morning before school starts.

I don't see too many kids skip lunch because they don't want to eat. I know some kids skip lunch because they want the money their parents give them to buy lunch. Kids use that money for smokes, chew, drugs, gas money, etc. Back when I first starting doing the school lunch at the charter school I saw many kids skipping lunch. At conferences I would say something to mom and or dad. Almost every parent said they sent their kid with money for lunch every day. Many parents asked if they could give the school the money to prepay lunches. We had no problem doing that (the school I teach at now does that too) and all the sudden the kid would didn't eat lunch would eat lunch because he couldn't keep the money.

srbmod

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:59 pm

Quoting okie (Reply 11):
We had the same set up but only available in the afternoons and only in high school.

Same here. At the time, the middle school shared part of a building with the high school (mainly the cafeteria kitchen and a handful of classrooms), but students rarely had access to the high school side of the building.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 12):
You'd be surprised how much milk gets consumed in a high school. I find the milk case low on white milk on a regular basis. We offer breakfast at my school, which is very popular. Not much milk goes at lunch (except for free and reduced students and they drink it too) but a lot of milk and OJ are sold in the morning before school starts.

When I was in high school, that was the first time chocolate milk was available to students every day. In elementary school and middle school, it was something we only got on Fridays. They sold a lot more chocolate milk than they did regular milk. Aren't most schools cutting out chocolate milk completely?

They did breakfast, but it was only for those students that got free or reduced lunches (Which was a very small percentage of the students at the high school I went to. The high school in the area I live now is the complete opposite, which only a small percentage of their students paying full price for lunch.).

At my school, there were 4 lunch lines. One offered the healthy meal, one offered Pizza, one offered Hamburgers (Soy Burgers), and the other offered Salads.

They tried that at my high school the last two years I was there and the standard lunch line and the salad bar were the regular price ($1-1.25) and the hamburger or pizza option was 50 cents more. They sold a lot of pizza, as they were like mini-deep dish pizzas as opposed to the rectangular slabs the regular line got once a week. They also did a self serve frozen yogurt machine and that lasted a year because they lost money on it (Students quickly learned that if you pounded the bottom of the cup you could get more in it.).

What does the typical school lunch go for these days anyway? I don't have any kids and my cousin's kids take their own lunch.

Grisee08
Topic Author

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:11 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 5):
Wait, parents drive to McDonald's, then to school, then home again, just to put trash food in the hands of their kids for lunch?

Saw it all the time.. The most extreme case was when a parent delivered an entire pizza to their son right before lunch

A handful of kids would leave campus and hit a fast food place, but the nearest ones were a 10 minute drive from campus and it wasn't worth risking getting in trouble for leaving campus.

Same thing happened at my school.. People got suspended, but it didn't stop them from doing it again.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 10):
Something went very wrong in the late 80's to early 90's.

I'd say the late 90s - early 2000s

Quoting okie (Reply 11):

They had ours turned on before school, up until 1.5 hrs before lunch, and 1.5 hrs after lunch.

Aesma

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:21 am

For me in France, before muddle/high school there was no choice at all, after that the choice was between a green vegetable and another, pasta or puree, meat or ham, cheese (real cheese not processed crap) or yogurt, a fruit, and water or water, something like that. The occasional Muslim kid could get a steak when the meat was pork. Brussels sprouts, spinach, broccoli were staple foods. No pizza, no hamburger, and fries maybe twice a month. Sure, some kids didn't eat the vegetables, but so what ? They could do it because they weren't that hungry, I'm sure that if there were kids not having enough at home, they did eat what the school offered.

In high school there were a couple of vending machines, they disappeared years before the government mandated it, there were just not enough kids buying stuff to make it worth it ! Most of the kids that had too much pocket money spent it in tobacco or beer anyway.

darthluke12694

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:45 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 13):
What does the typical school lunch go for these days anyway? I don't have any kids and my cousin's kids take their own lunch.

$1.50 at my school as of 2 years ago (when I graduated high school). I'm actually surprised it is that low. It was a $1.50 for since I can remember all through middle and high school.

At my high school, there were 3 lines. A hamburger, cheeseburger, or chicken sandwich line (only one was served on any given day), a "comfort" food line (best name I could come up with, where you get a main meal and a side where it is something different every day), and a line of what we called "the store."

The free/reduced lunch covered the hamburger and comfort food line, but not the store. The store had more expensive items such as chicken fingers, popcorn chicken, pizza, salads various non-soft drinks, etc. From my experience, the store was the most popular with the best tasting food. You also had the few people who brought their own lunch, and quite a few who didn't eat lunch at all.

As far as healthy options, the comfort food line or the salads were probably the best option. I think we had fruit, but not many people ate it.

You'd be surprised how much milk gets consumed in a high school.

One reason is because milk is the only option for those on free/reduced lunch. But you are right, a lot of milk does get consumed in high school.

At my high school, the administration pushed heavily for people to fill out free/reduced lunch forms. Why? Because we got a free computer lab out of it if a certain percentage qualified for the lunch (which we got by the way).

falstaff

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:07 am

Quoting darthluke12694 (Reply 16):
$1.50 at my school as of 2 years ago (when I graduated high school). I'm actually surprised it is that low. It was a $1.50 for since I can remember all through middle and high school.

That is cheap! I paid that more than 20 years ago. The basic lunch where I teach is $2.75.

At my high school, the administration pushed heavily for people to fill out free/reduced lunch forms. Why? Because we got a free computer lab out of it if a certain percentage qualified for the lunch (which we got by the way)

It is pushed because the school gets extra funding for "at risk" students, from the federal government. The computer was just the story they told you. However those kids who got free and reduced lunch actually qualified for it. You can lie on the form and maybe you'll get caught and maybe you won't. Back when I worked at the charter school we had a meeting with our for profit management company and they told us that we needed more low income and at risk students so we could fund various programs, including a computer lab. The way the government determines if a students is poor is by the free and reduced lunch count. Back under the Bush administration there was a program (it is still around) that if you teach in a school X% of free and reduced lunches you qualify for student loan repayment forgiveness. I never had any student loans so it never applied to me, but I think you have to work in an low income area school for five years straight (which is actually more difficult than it sounds for several reasons). The Bush Administration and now the Obama Administration feel this is a good way to encourage young teachers to work in high risk schools.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 15):
Most of the kids that had too much pocket money spent it in tobacco or beer anyway.

That is what I spent my money on when I was in high school. I never missed lunch though. I also bought a lot of gas for my '72 Cadillac. That 7.7 liter (472 cid) V-8 was awful thirsty. I also had a '64 Mercury Comet and its 4.2 liter (260 cid) V-8 was a fuel sipper by comparison.

They did breakfast, but it was only for those students that got free or reduced lunches (Which was a very small percentage of the students at the high school I went to.

My school was the same way. Where I teach kids on free and reduced get it, but there are lot of students who go and get something everyday. I let kids eat in my classroom (which is a shop) so I see a lot of kids eating in the morning. The French toast sticks are one of the most popular items, followed closely by grapes. For breakfast they sell milk, apple and orange juice.

Aren't most schools cutting out chocolate milk completely?

We sell chocolate, strawberry and regular 2%. The regular white milk is by far the most popular. It is 50 cents for a 1/2 pint (8oz). I buy it all the time.

The interesting thing is that the 'poor kids' tend to eat more of the healthy foods, and the middle class and upper class kids are the ones who choose to skip lunch or trash the vegtables.

That is the exact opposite if what I see on regular basis. I live in a lower middle class/low income neighborhood and when I am at the grocery store and I see a cart piled high with crap in front of me in the check out line, more often than not the food is paid for by the food stamp card.

Quoting Grisee08 (Reply 14):
A handful of kids would leave campus and hit a fast food place, but the nearest ones were a 10 minute drive from campus and it wasn't worth risking getting in trouble for leaving campus.

Same thing happened at my school.. People got suspended, but it didn't stop them from doing it again.

We had open lunch until three years ago. We when stopped having open lunch the only kids who complained were the drug users. After we stopped having open lunch GPAs and attendance went up and acts of violence went WAY down. When the kids couldn't go out and get drunk and high half way through the day things got a lot better around the school.

they were like mini-deep dish pizzas

I ate those where I went to high school, in Missouri, we called it the "greasy cheese"; it was revolting, but in a good way.

Quoting okie (Reply 11):
The process is influenced by special interest groups from top to bottom.

Much the same way as the food stamp program. Candy and soda pop are classified as food, but you can't buy toilet paper, soap and diapers. Don't even get me started on food stamp fraud; you have to spend a lot of time in stores in lower income areas to really see the abuse. People that live in nice neighborhoods I have no idea how bad it is.

darthluke12694

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:55 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 17):
That is cheap! I paid that more than 20 years ago. The basic lunch where I teach is $2.75.

If prices were that here (or suddenly jumped to that), I'm sure there would be an outrage. Of course it wouldn't matter to the free lunchers. But I saw some people who spent $5+ every day on lunch, usually on items in the "store." I can't believe how much money some students spend, it must be a fortune for the whole school year. What really gets on my nerves is seeing students who are on the free/reduced lunch spending money every day on extra food items. Besides milk, every item starts at $1.00, usually more. So a lot of students could afford to buy their own lunch, but instead mooch off the government, and then continue to buy extra items every day.

I never had any student loans so it never applied to me, but I think you have to work in an low income area school for five years straight (which is actually more difficult than it sounds for several reasons).

I understand. My high school fired every single teacher who worked there for 2 years my junior year to prevent them from getting tenure for their 3rd year (now it changed to 5 years)....but that is for another thread.

einsteinboricua

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:57 am

The problem isn't the lunch, the problem is a lack of exercise. When I was a kid, we ran the streets all summer and played hard during recess. Something went very wrong in the late 80's to early 90's.

Video game consoles and expansion of fast food chains.

Lack of exercise is part of the problem, but try eating a supersized Whopper every day and then hit the gym. What goos is it that you exercise if you aren't eating right?

flymia

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:50 am

I don't know if it happened then, at least it didn't to me and my friends as a 90s early 2000s kid. People around my age were right there in the middle. I remember dial up Internet or no Internet at all. I used to spend hours outside on the weekends and summers even in Florida. Did we have video games? Of course. N64, Playstaion and for me Flight Simulator. But when did we play video games? At night or during the summer thunderstorms. We didnt have iPhones at 8 years old. I just see such a downward trend these days. I recently saw a 2-3 years old watching a moive at a resturant. Sure great for the kid to be quite but just too much technology and that can't be good for a little kid's eyes. When I was 3 years I brought some toy cars and that kept me entertained for the whole night. What happend to actually using our brains to play.

I'd say the late 90s - early 2000s

Agreed. I say if you were old enough to remember the world before the internet was massively popular, before cell phones were common and before lets say Nintendo 64 you probably played plenty outside and were active. I knew no other way.

The obese students I have usually have not participated in anything.

Certainly. That is not surprising at all. Besides for a few football players at my high school the few obese kids were usually not active in much of anything. And even the big football players, they were still in good shape, just big guys.

I see a lot of in shape students eat stuff that is bad for you and they eat it in large volumes, but they burn it off. Some of the biggest eaters I have are some of my most in shape and active students. You ought to see my swimmers, track runners, hockey players and footballers (both kinds of football) eat. They could eat unhealthy all day it it won't hurt them.

Growing + playing competitive sports you have no choice especially in sports that burn a ton of calories like swimming or sports that muscle and weight are important like football and basketball. Back in my high school days two big macs, a cheeseburger and fries was pretty normal for me. And back then I would often find my self losing weight.

but she has parents who won't let their kids outside because something bad could happen or they could get hurt.

Depending on where people live I get the being safe thing but getting hurt? Kids are suppose to get hurt whether it is a scrape on their arm or a broken arm. That is what being kid is about. I fractured my arm riding my bike when I was 9 years old. It happens. A kid who does not get scraped up, maybe break on arm or a finger, something is just not being a kid or is really lucky.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 19):
Video game consoles and expansion of fast food chains.
Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 19):
Lack of exercise is part of the problem, but try eating a supersized Whopper every day and then hit the gym. What goos is it that you exercise if you aren't eating right?

I do think video games and technology in general have a lot to do with it. Has fast food really expanded that much? Again when I was a kid I would eat fast food on a weekly basis, even up till college. I never gained much weigh even in college. Why? I stayed active. Had to walk to class, would play hours of basketball at the gym. Now I agree people should not be eating whoppers if they want to try to get a six pack or get back into shape but when speaking about young kids 18 or younger as long as you stay active it really should not do much. And when talking about people participating in sports if I did not eat "unhealthy" I would have lost too much weight and not been in the shape I needed to be in.

DocLightning

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:04 am

What will happen is what happened in the past - the kids will choose the burger and fries in greater numbers, making the salads and vegetables relatively more expensive. And those options will go away.

What everyone is missing in this entire thing is that the way that you get kids to eat healthy is to give them no choice but to eat healthy. If there is no "burger and fries," but instead something healthy like a stir-fry with beef OR chicken fajitas then there are only two options and they are both healthy. Some schools have done this with some improvement in overall student BMI. There is choice, but the choice is between two (or more) equally attractive healthy options.

I don't think that vending machine operators and snack food/soda manufacturers should have cart blanche to be selling their products anywhere on school grounds. I don't even understand why any adult would want those machines on school ground. Perhaps in the teacher lounge, but not accessible to the kids.

Aeri28

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:46 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 20):
. Has fast food really expanded that much? Again when I was a kid I would eat fast food on a weekly basis, even up till college. I never gained much weigh even in college. Why? I stayed active. Had to walk to class,

I read this article a few months ago from the SF Chronicle , and it's a piece on fast food in the 1970s in the SF Bay Area, Good reading and good pix. Only one size of soft drink, look at taco bell which had only 6 items total.

Pizza for me growing up was a family trip to the pizza parlor , not at some mall as a snack walking and eating and then having dinner later.

I remember being a kid in the 70s and it was not a daily thing. They weren't on every corner and it was a treat. Now I think fast food is quite normal. Even childrens habits are horrific . I saw this very obese young guy sitting at a bus stop here n Honolulu last week and he was munching on a bag of pringles. Me, I whipped out my MetRX bar and was hoping he'd notice the diffeerence lol and get an idea.. I felt bad for him, I really wanted to say "hey kid, you're not going to get anywhere fat when you are a young adult. Iknow that sounds harsh, but I think children do sometimes eat out of frustration or something going on in their lives. Hawaii is bad for children especially islander type of kids, native Hawaiians, Micronesians, Samoans.. It's the Japanese American and other Asian american children that seem to be slender.

I talk from experience. I was a very fat child but I admit too mine were emotional problems growing up.

The article:

http://blog.sfgate.com/thebigevent/2...n-bay-area-fast-food-in-the-1970s/

[Edited 2013-08-04 01:47:09]

[Edited 2013-08-04 01:50:10]

trav110

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:57 am

Every school lunch I had in a public school in Georgia had healthy options - vegetables and fresh fruit - and not so healthy options. The problem I found is that the vegetables were steamed almost past recognition, the fruit was fine, the milk was occasionally sour, and the junk food tasted like absolute shit. Maybe that's why it is all being thrown into the garbage - the food they prepare is fit for a prison or a hospital. Nobody wants to eat that junk.

rfields5421

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:12 pm

That is the exact opposite

I mean the poor kids will eat the healthier food at school because they are hungry.

It embarrasses me for our nation/ state the number of kids in the local elementary who go to school hungry every morning.

We might have had cold congealed oatmeal with milk, but my mother sent all six of us to school full every morning. Of course things were a lot different in the 50s / 60s. In a small town in southwest Arkansas. I ate 'fast food' maybe once a month - usually the cheapest hamburger - never cheese because it cost extra. And three of us kids shared an order of fries. I never ate out at a restaurant until I was in high school.

I had graduated from high school before I ever ate at a 'chain' fast food place - McDonalds in New Orleans.

When I went in the Navy, and found Jack in the Box in San Diego - I thought it was fantastic.

einsteinboricua

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Has fast food really expanded that much?

Well, I recall as a toddler, the nearest fast food restaurant was a Burger King about 10-20 minutes away. With so many traffic lights on the way to get there and the constant traffic jams, we rarely bought there unless we were going back home. Now, the roads are wider and can accommodate more vehicles, there's a McDonald's just 2 minutes away, a Wendy's and a Church's also close by (about 5 minutes or less). We had a Taco Maker even closer but Taco Makers in PR are on decline so that one closed.

srbmod

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:00 pm

There was a kid at a neighboring high school that was killed in a wreck that was caused by him speeding back to school after leaving campus to go to McDonald's. The kid had previously attended our school, so a lot of folks knew him. Still didn't stop folks from leaving campus. There were a handful of students that were allowed to leave campus before the school day was up (Some were joint enrolled at one of the local colleges and other had internships that got them out of the last period or two of the day.), but some of them would go get lunch for their friends and bring it back although they weren't supposed to.

That is surprisingly cheap. I was expecting somewhere around $3 or more.

You're not kidding. Between buying lunch and getting an ice cream, I could spend about that much 20 years ago.

Has fast food really expanded that much?

More and more people use fast food as a replacement for actually cooking a meal.

DocLightning

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 26):

More and more people use fast food as a replacement for actually cooking a meal.

And the food industry has even hopped on to the bandwagon of those who want to make it healthier by cooking at home by offering quick-fix meals that are just as loaded with a blend of unhealthy fats, sugar, and sodium. The frozen skillet meals are a big example.

Cooking from scratch (which is all I do) takes some practice, it takes organization, and it takes some investment in some decent kitchen equipment (especially good knives and nonstick pans). But once you get good at it, you can throw together a fantastic, healthy, home-cooked meals with all ingredients you can pronounce in 30 minutes or less.

falstaff

Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:27 pm

If anyone is interested seeing a typical lunch menu this link will take you to my school district's May 2013 lunch and breakfast menu. I would liked to have posted them here, but they are pdf files, so I have can't do it.

http://www.trentonschools.com/index.aspx?item=276&school=1

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 27):
But once you get good at it, you can throw together a fantastic, healthy, home-cooked meals with all ingredients you can pronounce in 30 minutes or less.

I cook for myself most of the time. I usually only go out to eat once a week. I have people ask me about cooking all the time and are amazed I cook for myself. I also love to cook on the grill. My mom is a great cook and I grew up with her cooking so I saw from a young age it really isn't that hard.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 24):
I had graduated from high school before I ever ate at a 'chain' fast food place - McDonalds in New Orleans.

I worked at McDonald's when I was 16-17, in Eureka, Missouri. But I enjoyed fast food from time to time when I was a kid. I used to like the 29 cent Hamburger Stand, when I lived in Denver, it was a sad place with cups that said "drink" and wrappers that said "hamburger" and similar food items.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 24):
It embarrasses me for our nation/ state the number of kids in the local elementary who go to school hungry every morning.

especially because they don't have too. Free and reduced lunch is easy to get, people just need to fill out the forms.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 21):
I don't think that vending machine operators and snack food/soda manufacturers should have cart blanche to be selling their products anywhere on school grounds. I don't even understand why any adult would want those machines on school ground. Perhaps in the teacher lounge, but not accessible to the kids.

We have vending machines that sell various types of water, which are rather popular. We do have a pop machine that only sell diet pop on during lunch periods. Coke Zero is by far the best seller. There is a regular pop machine in the teachers lounge and kids sneak in there all the time and buy pop. A favorite method is to grab the door as a teacher walks out and then jam a pencil in the door frame so it won't latch. I could care less about disciplining kids who buy pops. I drank pop in high school and I turned out just fine.

akiss20

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Cooking from scratch (which is all I do) takes some practice, it takes organization, and it takes some investment in some decent kitchen equipment (especially good knives and nonstick pans). But once you get good at it, you can throw together a fantastic, healthy, home-cooked meals with all ingredients you can pronounce in 30 minutes or less.

Another issue I see is that fewer and fewer college kids are learning to cook for themselves. At my university, we historically had a strong tradition of having dorms with kitchens and students cooking for themselves and a very limited dining plan. In the past 4-6 years, the administration has stupidly, despite student objections, been trying to move to a more typical "all you can eat", limited hours dining program. Parents are increasingly worried that college kids "don't have time to cook" and want it done for their kids. Think those students are going to suddenly know how to cook after they graduate and have to fend for themselves or potentially for some children in a few years? Doubtful.

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Quoting akiss20 (Reply 29):
Think those students are going to suddenly know how to cook after they graduate and have to fend for themselves or potentially for some children in a few years?

I'd bet that today there's a far greater chance of those starting out on their own to have some basic knowledge than there was even 10-15 years ago. With the popularity of the Food Network, Cooking Channel, etc., there aren't as many people out there who can't make it past boiling water.

When I was in my 20s, when people my age got together, the fanciest thing anyone prepared was the garlic bread to go with our box of ravioli and premade sauce. And that was in what's now one of the nation's foodiest of cities, San Francisco. Now watch out if the provenance of your food isn't correct, or if it isn't prepared with respect to the traditions of where it was grown.

darthluke12694

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Another issue I see is that fewer and fewer college kids are learning to cook for themselves. At my university, we historically had a strong tradition of having dorms with kitchens and students cooking for themselves and a very limited dining plan. In the past 4-6 years, the administration has stupidly, despite student objections, been trying to move to a more typical "all you can eat", limited hours dining program

I'm a college student, so I know first hand about that. I do not cook at all, although I can as long as I have a recipe. I live in the dorms, and every floor on every dorm has a kitchen, although they are rarely used.

At my college, they require all freshman to have a meal plan, which ranges anywhere from 10-21 meals per week. You can use the meal plans at various places, such as the "all you can eat" dining (which is where I primarily eat at, not because I want a buffet, but because I want something somewhat healthy), Subway, or the food court which has a burrito place, Chick-Fil-A, and a pasta place. However, you are required to live on campus for 2 years, so it pretty much forces you to have a meal plan for 2 years.

As far as what college students eat at their own apartments, who knows. But there is know way I could survive off of fast food and frozen dinners. Mentally, I would feel so bad for eating that kind of food all of the time.

HELyes

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:32 pm

In Finland there has been a "free and healthy" school lunch available for all kids from 1940's, but the fast food options have become a problem here too, the other problem I heard is those young teen girls who eat too little.

I remember I liked the school lunches most of the time though there wasn't practically any options back then, the lunch was an "educational moment" you shared with teachers, the rule was you have to taste everything. There still are certain dishes from that time I refuse to touch now...

Ken777

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Might be because what they eat at school is all they get to eat all day. Both breakfast and lunch at school not only reduces hunger, but also improves academic performance.

When we get back to intelligent phys ed programs that get kids active then the costs of fast food won't be as severe. Maybe we need to require a simple A1c blood test to see where students are in terms of blood sugar. (The test covers the previous 3 months of eating so it's hard to hide problems.) That pretty well defines our problems and shows what we need to do.

And Doctor Notes should not be an excuse for not going to exercise classes. We just need to have different level of exercise classes, starting with simply walking around the gym for a period of time and some simple exercises to music.

I'll give you a clue: many parents an grandparents (including me) are concerned about the risks to kids playing outside these days. I'm talking about the freaks that harm kids in one way or another. We get the grandkids outside a lot, but keep an eye on them. We also pay for a neighborhood pool in summer to expand their ability to play & exercise - but one of us is always there, keeping an eye out. That is a far different situation than when I was growing up in Houston in the 50's,

srbmod

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 30):
When I was in my 20s, when people my age got together, the fanciest thing anyone prepared was the garlic bread to go with our box of ravioli and premade sauce. And that was in what's now one of the nation's foodiest of cities, San Francisco. Now watch out if the provenance of your food isn't correct, or if it isn't prepared with respect to the traditions of where it was grown.

The staples of most college kids' diet was ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese, mainly because it was the two cheapest things you could buy at the grocery store. These days, college dorms are pretty nice as they are more like apartments as opposed to motel rooms and some even have kitchens.

falstaff

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:38 am

Quoting darthluke12694 (Reply 31):
As far as what college students eat at their own apartments, who knows.

I chose an apartment very close to a dorm cafeteria and kept my meal plan. I just walked one block to eat. I kept a few things at my apartment so I would have something to eat when I was drunk or too hung over to walk to the cafeteria on Saturday morning. My dad gave me 50 bucks a week to spend on beer and pizza, so I was set up pretty good.

At my college, they require all freshman to have a meal plan, which ranges anywhere from 10-21 meals per week

I had the unlimited plan. Which was great and turned me into the happy, chubby man I am today. My buddies and I were in there so much they asked if we wanted to join the menu committee, which was great!

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 33):
When we get back to intelligent phys ed programs that get kids active

Unfortunately some of the same people who complain kids are too fat also want to cut school PE programs because they cost too much and don't improve standardized test scores. The charter school I worked for didn't offer PE for many years because the need to earn a profit exceeded the need to have things like art or PE programs.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 34):
The staples of most college kids' diet was ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese, mainly because it was the two cheapest things you could buy at the grocery store

Add frozen pizza and Pillsbury cinnamon rolls to that mix and you had my favorites in college. I do go out for ribs and pizza a lot though.

Ken777

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:38 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 35):
Unfortunately some of the same people who complain kids are too fat also want to cut school PE programs because they cost too much and don't improve standardized test scores.

Maybe if we included A1c and BMI improvements for the year in determining a school's performance things would change.

The big problem with a lot of PE programs is that they stick some one in right field who stands around all period, with scratching their bum being the only exercise they get.

falstaff

Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:37 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 36):
Maybe if we included A1c and BMI improvements for the year in determining a school's performance things would change.

That would be a good idea. The only thing that would scare me is the requirement of progress. Progress should be measured to a point then level off to maintaining a set level. Too many things are tied into progress. Always making progress at a poor performing school is a good thing, put always making progress at a high performing school is another. The school I teach at has very few obese students so after a while we would stop making progress because you are always going to have a few. Then it would look like the school is no longer making progress and now performing poorly. Some schools have had this problem with standardized test scores. The student body who did well overall and improved scores for a few years. However there is only so much you can expect out a of high school student. Some high performing schools looked like they were doing a poor job under the No Child Left Behind law, because they stopped improving, but some schools that were terrible had so much room for improvement they looked great in comparison. The high school I went to in Missouri had that problem; achievement was very high, but after a while they just couldn't get any higher. Some crummy schools who could improve more actually looked better, based solely on statistics.

The big problem with a lot of PE programs is that they stick some one in right field who stands around all period, with scratching their bum being the only exercise they get.

Part of that is because you can't make a kid work and they know it. Some kids are motivated by grades. Some kids and parents just don't care.

darthluke12694

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:07 am

You were lucky if that happened at my high school. At my high school, we had a required class called Lifetime Wellness. It was supposed to be a mix of PE and health class. Of course we also had additional PE classes for those who liked PE.

On PE days, we played various sports in the gym, or we went outside and walked the football track. On wellness days, all we would do is copy the textbook (except when we watched Supersize Me). No tests, quizzes, etc. Just copy words.

You had to "dress out" in order to participate in PE days. So what about the students who didn't dress out? They had to go upstairs in the gym and copy the textbook the whole time. The teachers didn't really care. They never interacted with the students who did not participate, just the ones playing sports in class. Supposedly we would get a bad grade if you did not participate. I decided not to participate because I don't really like playing sports unless if it was walking or running, and I still got a 100 in the class.

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:35 am

How long before schools are forced to have as many meal options as the airlines do? A vegetarian meal, a vegan meal, a gluten-free meal, etc.......

At my university we have regular and gluten free meals. They will occasionally have vegetarian meals as well. The only thing that always irked me when I was in the dorms was not having the ability to have a substantial meatless option during Lent. I understand it isn't the university's job to follow my dietary restrictions, but a salad just doesn't cut it when the dining hall is going to be closed for the following 18 hours.

When I graduated high school in 2011 I could get a meal for $5 even. It was 3.25 for a sandwich and chips and then $1 for a soda from the vending machine, I would have just enough left over for a cookie. If I wanted a hot meal it was 4.75 with a soda. We had 6 vending machines with soda, 1 with just water, 1 with juices, and 1 with crap snacks. I went to a private school so we didn't have to follow some of the state laws.

Boy I wish I went to your school. My stepdad would drop two fives on the counter in the morning for my brother and I. We tried to brown bag it, but neither of us wanted to wake up early and make lunch and my dietary restrictions made it too much of a hassle for my mom to make two completely separate lunches.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 26):

I hate to admit it, but I'm guilty of this. Between class, flying, and work the last thing I want to do when I get home at 10 PM after 12 hours is cook. There are about 5 different fast food places on my short drive home from work. Much easier to grab a burger, come home and eat, shower then study.

But once you get good at it, you can throw together a fantastic, healthy, home-cooked meals with all ingredients you can pronounce in 30 minutes or less.

I love to cook. Growing up I would always get dinner ready for my brother and sister at my dad's and then head over to my mom's and start dinner. I never understood why when either my stepdad or mom would travel we'd get take out. But as I get more responsibility I understand how easy it is to just say "Oh well I don't have enough time!" and grab something quick and generally unhealthy. I'm trying to change that habit as usually it is cheaper to cook. But my level of sleepiness generally wins.

Another issue I see is that fewer and fewer college kids are learning to cook for themselves. At my university, we historically had a strong tradition of having dorms with kitchens and students cooking for themselves and a very limited dining plan. In the past 4-6 years, the administration has stupidly, despite student objections, been trying to move to a more typical "all you can eat", limited hours dining program. Parents are increasingly worried that college kids "don't have time to cook" and want it done for their kids. Think those students are going to suddenly know how to cook after they graduate and have to fend for themselves or potentially for some children in a few years? Doubtful.

I lived in the dorms for two years. I finally was able to move into an apartment in May. I can count the number of times I saw someone use the stove (myself included) last year on one hand. Why cook when you throw on some flip flops and take the tunnels (we actually have underground tunnels thanks to the harsh North Dakota winters) and get a hot meal. My freshmen year I was in a dorm where you would have to walk a long way on the weekend to the only open dining hall to eat. Kids cooked a lot more because you didn't want to have to make the 10 minute walk in -40 wind chills to eat. It is funny that you mention kids not knowing how to cook. I grew up cooking with my grandma and getting dinner ready for my folks. I always enjoyed it and I'm actually a pretty good cook for a 20 year old. But a lot of people I know don't have a clue how to cook. I know people whose diets consist of eggs, eggs, and more eggs.

As far as what college students eat at their own apartments, who knows. But there is know way I could survive off of fast food and frozen dinners. Mentally, I would feel so bad for eating that kind of food all of the time.

As someone who has just moved into an apartment I can tell you it consists of pizza, fast food, frozen meals, and scrambled eggs. Not just me either. Those seem to be the main staples with my friends as well.

I think these programs are great. We need to get some of this crap out of the lunches today. But we can't have these insane restrictions for lunches. I applaud the First Lady for wanting to make a real difference in the lunch options. But there needs to be some leeway given to each school to determine what works for that district and that area.
Pat

smittyone

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 5):
Wait, parents drive to McDonald's, then to school, then home again, just to put trash food in the hands of their kids for lunch? No wonder we have an obesity problem. If I demanded that as a kid my folks would probably seriously consider sending me to a psychiatrist, for certainly that would have been a warning sign of some type of mental disorder for thinking it to be reasonable.

If I had demanded this as a kid the laughter would have been DEAFENING.

sprout5199

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Well here is my take, as someone born and raised in South Florida and who graduated HS in 1984.

The school lunches I ate were mostly burgers/chicken sandwiches/ pizza. We had two lines, the burger line with tater tos and such, and the comfort food line, I.E. meatloaf, stew, mashed potatos, and a veggie(from a can)--And two to three days after they cut the grass, spinach(or was it grass cuttings? the world will never know). Depending on the what was served one each line drove how busy it was, certain things one either line was avoided/craved. We had white and chocolate milk(2%? what the hell is that), OJ, and some sort of fruit punch. We had a soda machine the was open before school, during lunch and after school. the profits went to the PTA. In my junior/senior years they started to have a salad bar line, with fruit in additon to the salad stuff. Seniors could go off campus for lunch, but as long as you were back in time for your next class they didn't care. (someone mentioned kids getting stoned/drunk--thats what the student parking lot was for, why go off campus?). We had are share of fat kids, but we had thin kids also, so it was a wash. BUT we also had to take gym class untill our senior year(real stuff were you had to change into gym clothes, got sweaty and dirty, and actually took showers after class, or you were ridiculed in you next class for stinking so bad). Another thing was when you got home, you didnt eat crap you ate what was served by your mom(ok it might have tasted like crap). Veggies and all. When I got a job(at Wendys) i would eat there but then "really" eat when I go home after work.

So, to condsense the above, Its not the food in the lunchroom thats the problem, it the lack of gym class, the disapearance of the home cooked meal, and trying to solve the effects, not the problem. I do remember a poor kid that lived down the street from us(we were average income family) and because our families were friends, he ate at our house 2-3 time a week as his parents worked late/two jobs. And he did get free lunches(I thought that sucked as why do i pay and he doesn't--I was young). But there wasnt anybody looking down at him or his family by anyone in our neighborhood as most either been in the same situation, or in it themselves.

I say give the kids a choice--for 3 days of the week, but make them eat a healthy meal the other two or not eat. Most kids will eat healthy if the actually tried it, AND it is their choice, not forced on them.

sorry for the rant

Dan in Jupiter

Ken777

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 37):
The only thing that would scare me is the requirement of progress.

Both A1c and BMI are simple numbers that can be used to establish "groups", from Poor to Excellent. Both numbers (especially the A1c) can also be used to educate some parents a bit. More than a bit for some.

When you are focused to teaching basic subjects there may be a need for "progress", but there is also a need to recognize the wide range of abilities & intellect in the student body. My high school had multiple teaching levels because they recognized that some students needed the challenge of a rigorous program that other kids couldn't handle.

Tulsa is actually starting a program in one high school that will allow kids to graduate with an Associates Degree. Not that difficult to do when you have sufficient AP courses and there is a lot of competition to be accepted. Defining progress there will not be a problem, but it can be at another school that needs police on campus. How are they going to measure progress?