Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Elite
Topic Author

Lost IPhone Photos - No Backup

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:57 am

Long story short, I let my nephew play with my iPhone and it resulted in a lot of lost photos, many of which I would love to recover. Yes, my friends have already lectured me on using a back up or importing photos, which is what I am doing now, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to restore deleted iPhone photos. Google didn’t seem helpful, with a lot of links leading to paid software, but if its proven to work and not a scam by A.net members I would be willing to give it a try. Would anyone know of any way?

Thanks,
Elite

einsteinboricua

RE: Lost IPhone Photos - No Backup

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:59 am

If you had iCloud active on your system I think you should have a backup unless it actively syncs.

When I switched my iPhone to a GalaxyS4 I lost all my contacts and pictures (apparently the machine had transferred everything to my new phone, but nothing came up). Once I went to iCloud, I had everything there.

Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:21 am

No backup, including iTunes sync or iPhotos or iCloud or anything. I realize I am SOL but worth a shot seeing if techies here have some sort of method I could try.

darthluke12694

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:13 am

As far as I know, I don't think there is a way. If it was like a memory card, it could be possible, but I don't think it is possible with iPhone. You said you never backed up your iPhone, I'm assuming you have never synced your iPhone with iTunes either have you?

Maverick623

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:27 am

Quoting elite (Reply 2):
but worth a shot seeing if techies here have some sort of method I could try.

There are forensic recovery methods. Even then, there's no guarantee of the quality of any recovered pictures.

Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:36 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 4):
There are forensic recovery methods. Even then, there's no guarantee of the quality of any recovered pictures.

How could I go about doing that? Or would it be too difficult for an amateur / tech-limited average Joe.

Braniff747SP

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Quoting elite (Reply 5):
How could I go about doing that? Or would it be too difficult for an amateur / tech-limited average Joe.

It's not going to happen.

Should have plugged it in to your computer...

AI121

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:37 pm

your best bet is to book an appointment with Apple store's Genius Bar. You're not the first person to have lost photos. Happens with lot of people and they might have the solution. If even they can't recover them then I don't think there is any other way.

Tugger

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:46 pm

I have never quite understood why computers don't allow for the "accidental deletion" factor. While I know many do have the "delete file/trash can" that one can go and recover things from, why not do the same for documents that are being made or in this situation photos that are being deleted? "Are you sure you want to delete this?" or "Do you want to save this - Yes/No" don't always get answered correctly and if these files were stashed somewhere for a few hours it would probably help a lot of people. I know it is memory and that fills up fast but I think many people would appreciate a feature like this (yes, without any "cloud" or backup requirement).

Tugg

Coal

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:05 pm

If you ever backed up your iPhone, you can choose then to restore it based on a specific backup. But, yeah, if you didn't back it up...

Cheers
Coal

Maverick623

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Quoting elite (Reply 5):

Too difficult for the average Joe.

Forgot about the Genius Bar... then again, my only Apple product is a first generation iPod touch.

trav110

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:52 pm

I suggest leaving it in a bowl of rice overnight- that way the next morning the rice will have absorbed all your photos.