Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rutley21
Topic Author

August 2013 Self-Picture Thread

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Forgive me if this thread has already been posted, I have been in bootcamp for the past few months.

Here are a couple pictures of me from the past couple of weeks.

My mom and I moments after my graduation.

My other half and I moments after my graduation.
Waiting for the train at Great Lakes Naval station.
And me in my Navy working Uniform.

Rob  
If you're not willing to give up everything, You've already lost.

rutley21
Topic Author

RE: August 2013 Self-Picture Thread

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:28 pm

The third picture is supposed to be this one:

Waiting for the train at Great Lakes Naval Station.

Rob  

jetblueguy22

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:15 pm

Quoting rutley21 (Thread starter):
Forgive me if this thread has already been posted, I have been in bootcamp for the past few months.

Congrats on finishing boot camp!

Here is my latest. Took this somewhere over Minnesota during a cross country from GFK-PKD-FAR-GFK. Beautiful day!
http://i.imgur.com/ybfASj2.jpg
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

DeltaMD90

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Congrats shipmate, glad you made it through. Had no doubt that you would  

What is your rate and duty station?

rutley21
Topic Author

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:02 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 3):

Thank you, I appreciate that. The amount of support that I have gotten from this is beyond words for me. I have had a lot of people that have been motivating me and keeping me going. It was definitely a lot of work, but it was well worth it in the end when I marched in front of everyone and graduated. It was a really great feeling. I got stuck in the spec ops ship, where all of the seals, swcc, divers, etc.... are trained. So I can definitely say that I am in the best shape of my life right now and it feels awesome. Just like everyone else though, there were definitely times where I wanted to give up and quit... But I managed to fight through everything and I made it. It feels amazing, although I feel like I am in a dream right now. I have felt that way since I got out, it feels weird. But I am sure everything will feel normal again eventually.

I am an undesignated engineer right now, so when I get to my first command I will be working with all of the different engineering departments until I figure out what I want to do. But I have a good feeling of what I want to do. Right now I am still in Great Lakes, IL for my 5 week Basic Engineering Common Core course. Once I finish that, I will get 15 days of leave to go home and see my mom and sister as well as my other half. For my first duty station, I am stationed at Little Creek Naval Base (Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story). I believe it is an amphibious base from what I have heard. I am assigned to the USS Ashland(LSD-48), a Dock Landing ship, it handles LCAC's and such. I will be working with a bunch of Marines too.

It has been quite an adventure so far, and it only gets better from here. I look forward to the next 4 years. I just wanted to thank everyone on here for all of their support as well.

Rob  

WarRI1

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:06 am

Well done. when you have 20 years in the Navy, you will say Wow! where did the time go?  

[Edited 2013-08-15 20:07:55]
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DeltaMD90

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:18 am

Quoting rutley21 (Reply 4):
So I can definitely say that I am in the best shape of my life right now and it feels awesome.

I know the feeling, you probably have done things you never thought you could. It's crazy when you think about it. Keep up the PT though, it will go away quickly if you don't  
Just like everyone else though, there were definitely times where I wanted to give up and quit... But I managed to fight through everything and I made it.

All part of the game. Like I said before, you will do things you never thought you could do, not just physically, but mentally

I have felt that way since I got out, it feels weird. But I am sure everything will feel normal again eventually.

Haha, that will go away after a week. I remember when I got out of Army basic a few years ago, I got up at 0530 every morning....... for 2 day   You will get out of boot camp mode pretty quickly, and good riddance!

I will be working with a bunch of Marines too.

Don't worry, it's not so bad  
It has been quite an adventure so far, and it only gets better from here.

You are correct. You've already done a lot compared to our generation, and you'll only do a lot more. Good luck! I expect to see CMC Utley one day, or even ENS Utley if you go though STA-21  

Not that knowledgeable on career progression yet, but if you have any questions, give me a holler

(Mods: sorry it's a bit OT, but it was in the OP's original post, so not too OT. I'll stop here since I have no self pic of myself lol)

KaiGywer

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:47 am

Did the Glow in the night 5K tonight   I'm in the middle surrounded by all these beautiful ladies  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Superfly

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:03 pm

moments after my graduation.

Congratulations man!   
Much respect to you for service in the armed forces.

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 2):
Took this somewhere over Minnesota during a cross country from GFK-PKD-FAR-GFK. Beautiful day!

Fantastic! That is beautiful country you're flying over up there. I love Minnesota.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 7):
Did the Glow in the night 5K tonight I'm in the middle surrounded by all these beautiful ladies

KaiGywer glowing in the dark at night? That is a scary thought!  

Me & lady-friend taking a break on road trip up near the Thailand / Burma boarder in Kanchanaburi province.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Rush8track/SaiYok110.jpg
Bring back the Concorde

jetblueguy22

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 7):
Did the Glow in the night 5K tonight   I'm in the middle surrounded by all these beautiful ladies  

That had to be pretty cool! I wanted to do the Run or Dye 5k but I couldn't make it to Bismarck.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
Fantastic! That is beautiful country you're flying over up there. I love Minnesota.

It's a nice area, but boy can it get boring! After the 800th cornfield/soybean field you are praying for a town to admire!
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

KaiGywer

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 9):
That had to be pretty cool! I wanted to do the Run or Dye 5k but I couldn't make it to Bismarck.

There's one in Minot on 9/14. Not a Glow in the night one, but it's a Run or Dye event.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Superfly

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 9):
It's a nice area, but boy can it get boring! After the 800th cornfield/soybean field you are praying for a town to admire!

Oh come on. They have wheat and barley fields as well.  
Bring back the Concorde

777222LR

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:03 pm

I'll play: