Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

connies4ever
Topic Author

Ted Cruz - US Senator From Canada

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Didn't know he had Canadian citizenship. Right, eh ?  http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...tics-silly-season-95740.html?hp=l3

How dumb does he think the electorate is ? Even some GOP people won't give him a pass on this, but by 2016 likely they'll have forgotten. Hopefully the Dems will continue to play this.

Most Americans for very good reasons will not be familiar with what's required to fenounce your citizenship up here, but the whole process takes months, so Senator Cruz will likely remain a Canadian into 2014.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

garnetpalmetto

RE: Ted Cruz - US Senator From Canada

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Thread starter):
Hopefully the Dems will continue to play this.

I'd rather they not. We don't need the Democrats at large to fall prey to the birther shenanigans that have yet to go away.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

blueflyer

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Hopefully the Democrats will stay far away and wait to see whether the birthers will be all over Cruz or choose to be exposed as the racists they claimed they never were...

connies4ever
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 1):
I'd rather they not. We don't need the Democrats at large to fall prey to the birther shenanigans that have yet to go away.

I know I don't have a dog in the hunt (except if I don't know I'm an American ...) but I want to see Cruz and his ilk twist in the wind.

IMHO, and I know I will get pilloried for this, but the Tea Partiers illuminate the worst of America. Which, again IMHO, in the larger picture America is a generally fair and certainly generous country. My fair bit of time in NC in the 90s showed me that Canadians, for example, can learn a lot about civic-mindedness from Americans.

casinterest

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:12 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 3):
see Cruz and his ilk twist in the wind.

Cruz will twist for his policies, not his place of birth.
Where ever you go, there you are.

CPH-R

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Everything I've seen so far, suggests that the mainstream democrats won't touch this with a 20-feet poker. On the other hand, some of the more desperate birthers have declared Cruz inelligible, owing to their rather, erh, unique interpretation of US law.

Tugger

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Didn't know he had Canadian citizenship

Well the important thing is that if needed he has always had access to good healthcare and he didn't ever have to pay anything into it....  

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Superfly

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Didn't know he had Canadian citizenship. Right, eh ?

I told you two months ago.
Bring back the Concorde

seb146

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 2):
the birthers will be all over Cruz or choose to be exposed as the racists they claimed they never were...
to the birther shenanigans that have yet to go away.

There is a difference between Obama and Cruz in this case. The difference is: There is actual hard and fast evidence that Cruz was born in Canada and there is no evidence that Obama was born outside the United States.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

sccutler

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 8):
There is actual hard and fast evidence that Cruz was born in Canada and there is no evidence that Obama was born outside the United States.

...and the evidence of his birth within the states is pretty sketchy, too!  
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

BN747

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Quoting sccutler (Reply 9):
There is actual hard and fast evidence that Cruz was born in Canada and there is no evidence that Obama was born outside the United States.

Lemme guess..are you one of those "I only dislike him for his policies..." types as well?
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Mir

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Well we know that Justin Bieber and Ted Cruz have Canada in common, but there's still one critical difference between them. One's a self-appointed megastar who attracts the undying love and affection of millions of mindless people just looking for someone to cling to and live vicariously through without realizing the disaster that he's brought to his industry, and the other is Justin Bieber.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

garnetpalmetto

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Sure, if by "sketchy" you mean "Completely and totally verified to everyone with an iota of critical thinking skills and common sense with more evidence than any other prior president has provided," then yes, absolutely.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

sccutler

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 10):

Lemme guess..are you one of those "I only dislike him for his policies..." types as well?

Assuming you mean President Obama, then no, his declared policies are not so offensive (many of his stated policy points in the 2008 campaign were very appealing); about his actions, I am less sanguine.

connies4ever
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
Well we know that Justin Bieber and Ted Cruz have Canada in common, but there's still one critical difference between them. One's a self-appointed megastar who attracts the undying love and affection of millions of mindless people just looking for someone to cling to and live vicariously through without realizing the disaster that he's brought to his industry, and the other is Justin Bieber.

I'm actually embarassed that the Bieb is Canadian. He's a self-appointed mega knob.

DocLightning

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:31 pm

How dumb does he think the electorate is ?

Extremely. The things he says are things that no Harvard-educated lawyer could possibly actually believe. In fact, he's told a number of blatant lies. Why? Because he's smart enough to know that his followers will not fact check his claims, nor will they listen to any fact checkers. Fact checkers, in their mind, are just liberal shims. He's a cynic of the worst kind; not only does he think he's better than his electorate, but he's going to take advantage of them to win the election.

That said, I will not engage in Birtherism. Mr. Cruz is a natural-born American citizen. Place of birth is only relevant if the parents' citizenship is non-US. Otherwise, all children born to US citizens are natural-born citizens unless they renounce that citizenship at some point.

Now, whether someone with a dual citizenship can become President is a question I can't answer. The Constitution is silent on such matters (I don't think it occurred to the Framers).

I very much hope he wins the nomination (he won't), because Mrs. Clinton will win by a landslide that will make Reagan v. Mondale look like a close race.

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
One's a self-appointed megastar who attracts the undying love and affection of millions of mindless people just looking for someone to cling to and live vicariously through without realizing the disaster that he's brought to his industry, and the other is Justin Bieber.

A better punchline would have been "and the other is a teenage singer."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

garnetpalmetto

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 15):

Whether what Biebs does can be quantified as "singing" is a subject for debate.

Mir

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:40 pm

I am not the master of punchlines, it's true. But one can try.  

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

connies4ever
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Because he's smart enough to know that his followers will not fact check his claims,

Must be Michelle Bachman writing his talking points. She needs a new gig now anyway.

DeltaMD90

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:47 pm

How dumb does he think the electorate is ? Even some GOP people won't give him a pass on this, but by 2016 likely they'll have forgotten. Hopefully the Dems will continue to play this.

Because all we need are liberal birthers... let's hope they don't play this at all and take the high road

Now, whether someone with a dual citizenship can become President is a question I can't answer. The Constitution is silent on such matters (I don't think it occurred to the Framers).

I doubt he'll make it far enough for the SCOTUS to act.

DocLightning

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 19):
Because all we need are liberal birthers... let's hope they don't play this at all and take the high road

There may be a few, but I doubt that the Left will accumulate the sheer numbers that the Right did. For one thing, this doesn't have the trappings of a conspiracy. The whole point of the Birther charade was that Mr. Obama was lying about where he was born. And that all the newspaper birth announcements and attestations from hospital staff that they remember his birth (and the birth of a mixed-race kid with the last name Obama in Hawaii at time would have been one to stand out in the heads of hospital staff), and the birth certificate were forgeries.

In this case, Mr. Cruz has been quite open and honest about having been born in Canada. So what we have is a bit of a legal debate, but one that has monumental legal precedence towards Mr. Cruz being eligible. The basic facts of his birth are, unlike in Mr. Obama's case, not in dispute.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Ken777

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:33 pm

We don't need the Democrats at large to fall prey to the birther shenanigans that have yet to go away.

I don't believe that the majority of Democrats will drop to the Birther's level, but I do believe that they will rub it in the Birther's faces big time.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 3):
I know I will get pilloried for this, but the Tea Partiers illuminate the worst of America.

Pilloried by me? Nah - I put you on my RR list instead.

That said, I will not engage in Birtherism. Mr. Cruz is a natural-born American citizen. Place of birth is only relevant if the parents' citizenship is non-US

We know that, but we also know there have been the Birther Nuts who have been pretty loud for a long time and now we can shove a Canadian Passport in their face. I wonder if that passport is a long form or a short form.   

Viscount724

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):
In this case, Mr. Cruz has been quite open and honest about having been born in Canada.

From the reports I've seen his Canadian citizenship eligibility is only based on his having been born in Canada. He never officialized that status by obtaining a Canadian passport or citizenship certificate.

Copy of his Alberta birth certificate in this item:
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/polit...m-if-ted-cruz-seeks-presidency.ece

einsteinboricua

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 22):

That looks sketchy to me. Looks like something a Nigerian prince would create. I prefer to see the original long form certificate.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Braniff747SP

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 22):
He never officialized that status by obtaining a Canadian passport or citizenship certificate.

Doesn't matter--it is official. His birth certificate is all that is needed.

Anyhow, all this hullabaloo is absurd. I don't care what nationality he is, especially not when it is Canadian--a country with which we are close allies.

I have three citizenships--one American, the other two of allied nations. How does that diminish my ability (or anyones) to be a Senator?

He's not eligible to be President, anyway. One must be born in the United States, and however close Canada may be to the US, it isn't the US.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

connies4ever
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 24):
He's not eligible to be President, anyway. One must be born in the United States, and however close Canada may be to the US, it isn't the US.

As I understand it, as a mere foreigner (unless I've forgotten that I'm also American), you don't need to be born in America. But you do need to have at least one parent to be an American citizen.

To put the fox amongst the hens, then, whether or not Obama was born in Hawaii is moot, since his mother was an American citizen.

rwy04lga

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:13 am

Yeah, sure.

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 12):
Sure, if by "sketchy" you mean "Completely and totally verified to everyone with an iota of critical thinking skills and common sense with more evidence than any other prior president has provided," then yes, absolutely.

One must be born in the United States

Technically, the first 7 presidents were NOT boen in the US, as the US did not exist at the times of their birth.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 25):
As I understand it, as a mere foreigner (unless I've forgotten that I'm also American), you don't need to be born in America.

Being from the same country as you, as 'I' understand it, one must be a natural born US citizen to be US president. To wit....

Age and Citizenship requirements - US Constitution, Article II, Section 1

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

connies4ever
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:41 am

sccutler

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:08 am

Y'all did see the smiley, dintcha?

Boeing717200

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:57 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 19):

Especially considering that they didn't take the high road with Obama.

Extremely. The things he says are things that no Harvard-educated lawyer could possibly actually believe. In fact, he's told a number of blatant lies. Why? Because he's smart enough to know that his followers will not fact check his claims, nor will they listen to any fact checkers. Fact checkers, in their mind, are just liberal shims. He's a cynic of the worst kind; not only does he think he's better than his electorate, but he's going to take advantage of them to win the election.

So....that makes him a Republican version of Obama then.

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 26):

Being from the same country as you, as 'I' understand it, one must be a natural born US citizen to be US president. To wit....

Age and Citizenship requirements - US Constitution, Article II, Section 1

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

If you're born abroad and your parent is a US citizen and they declare your birth with the Embassy as they did, then he is natural born. The issue will be whether he needs renounce the dual citizenship, but the constitution is silent on this.

[Edited 2013-08-21 21:11:40]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

skywaymanaz

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:24 am

Birther nonsense has been a bipartisan thing among both parties fringe elements. When McCain was running against Obama he was attacked over his CZ birth. OMG! That's NOT a state!!! oh kn0wz!!! seemed to be the argument. Want to go back even further and Goldwater was attacked for his birth in the AZ territory. Romney, though born in MI, was under some scrutiny over whether his family illegally immigrated to the US from Mexico. His father was born in Mexico but ran for President as well since his parents were both American he was American at birth. Mexico didn't grant him birth right citizenship and he would have been stateless otherwise. George Romney never got the nomination so the issue was probably never seriously raised then.

The whole argument is foolish and George Washington wouldn't be eligible if you want to endlessly pursue that nonsense. Let alone any President born in OH since it may not have really been a state until 1953. An oversight then humorously and retroactively corrected. But guess what? Al Gore was not born in any state and he was our Vice President from '93-'01. Eligibility requirement for the office of VP is the same as for the President, except no term limit on VP. His DC birth seems to qualify Goldwater and McCain. Cruz is eligible to run like Romney's father and any dependent child born overseas. Btw I'm quite satisfied Obama was born in HI and the birth notice in the paper then would be pointless to fake.

zkojq

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 am

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 27):
This is actually pretty funny:

Urgh. Says a lot about how insanely nationalistic his voting base is. My mind is drawn to those who didn't like Huntsman and Romney's ability to speak foreign languages fluently. Incredible that some people think that being a dual citizen would make a candidate less qualified for public office. For that reason, I hope the nickname 'Canadian Ted' sticks around.

If, like me, you are lucky enough to have dual citizenship then embrace it!
First to fly the 787-9

bmacleod

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Whether or not he's eligible to run for president, let's get real here....Ted Cruz has 5-10% chance of getting GOP nomination, not to mention 0.001% chance of getting elected president....

Another slow news day......

[Edited 2013-08-22 05:27:26]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Revelation

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 14):

I'm actually embarassed that the Bieb is Canadian. He's a self-appointed mega knob.

Indeed. You go tell your fellow Canadians to quit producing such pratts and start producing new versions of Geddy Lee, Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

connies4ever
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 33):
Indeed. You go tell your fellow Canadians to quit producing such pratts and start producing new versions of Geddy Lee, Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson!

Although never a Rush fan, I will do that. I'd be happier to see a Shania Twain clone, though. And nothing more from the Screecher (a.k.a. Celine Dion).  

CPH-R

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 29):
If you're born abroad and your parent is a US citizen and they declare your birth with the Embassy as they did, then he is natural born.

IIRC there's also some residency rules, when only one parent is a US citizen and the child is born abroad. Something about living x number of years in the US, including at least 5(?) after the age of 14.

falstaff

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 2):
Hopefully the Democrats will stay far away and wait to see whether the birthers will be all over Cruz or choose to be exposed as the racists they claimed they never were...

They will bring it up, don't worry. There were a lot of people in Michigan (including Democrats) that weren't big on the idea of Jennifer Granholm (governor) being Canadian, but they couldn't do anything about it.

I recall some Democrats in the media getting worked up over McCain being born in the Panama Canal Zone.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 10):

I just don't like him because he is a liberal.

It is isn't silent on the subject at all. It states you must be a natural born citizen or a citizen by the date of the radification of the Constitution.

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 30):
The whole argument is foolish and George Washington wouldn't be eligible if you want to endlessly pursue that nonsense.

Yes he was, he was a citizen when the constitution was adopted, the constitution clearly states that.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

slider

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 32):
Whether or not he's eligible to run for president, let's get real here....Ted Cruz has 5-10% chance of getting GOP nomination, not to mention 0.001% chance of getting elected president....

So in other words, about the same odds he had as becoming a US Senator when he dared to challenge the GOP apparatchik in Texas.

I'll take those odds.  

connies4ever
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 36):
They will bring it up, don't worry. There were a lot of people in Michigan (including Democrats) that weren't big on the idea of Jennifer Granholm (governor) being Canadian, but they couldn't do anything about it.

Actually, even if Ms Granholm was born in Vancouver, she had American parents. So wouldn't she be considered a 'natural-born American' ? Kind of hoped she could have run for President.

mham001

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:39 pm

The partisanship is nauseating. And wtf is Ted Cruz anyway?

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 5):
owing to their rather, erh, unique interpretation of US law.

If you knew what you were talking about and had a sense of history, theirs is not "unique".

you don't need to be born in America.
Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 29):
If you're born abroad and your parent is a US citizen and they declare your birth with the Embassy as they did, then he is natural born.

As I recall from the McCain questions, the question is the definition of "natural born". I'm not going to research this again but iirc, there is a good wiki page on the subject. It is not black and white and ultimately comes down to Congress.

Birther nonsense has been a bipartisan thing among both parties fringe elements.

All the partisans in this thread would do well to reread this entire post again. Very well said.

Quoting zkojq (Reply 31):
Incredible that some people think that being a dual citizen would make a candidate less qualified for public office.

So you would have no problem with an American Governor-General? Maybe so since you accept rule by some pompous woman 6,000 miles away who has never done anything for you. We don't do that here.

Braniff747SP

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:43 pm

As I understand it, as a mere foreigner (unless I've forgotten that I'm also American), you don't need to be born in America.

Must be a native born citizen or have both parents be US Citizens. Cruz's father became a citizen in 2005, if that article is correct.

connies4ever
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:53 pm

This:

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 35):
IIRC there's also some residency rules, when only one parent is a US citizen and the child is born abroad. Something about living x number of years in the US, including at least 5(?) after the age of 14.

seems to contradict this:

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 40):
Must be a native born citizen or have both parents be US Citizens. Cruz's father became a citizen in 2005, if that article is correct.

Which position is actually correct ?

Superfly

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 34):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 33):

Although never a Rush fan, I will do that. I'd be happier to see a Shania Twain clone, though. And nothing more from the Screecher (a.k.a. Celine Dion).

Not a fan of Shania Twain at all. Celine Dion isn't that bad. She sings better in French.
We do have Gino Vannelli now since he's became a US Citizen. Not sure if he bothered to give up his Canadian citizenship or not.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 39):
The partisanship is nauseating. And wtf is Ted Cruz anyway?

A White Hispanic.   

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 32):
.Ted Cruz has 5-10% chance of getting GOP nomination, not to mention 0.001% chance of getting elected president.

Really? What else is your crystal ball telling you?   
Bring back the Concorde

Maverick623

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 40):
Must be a native born citizen or have both parents be US Citizens.

False. Only one parent needs to be a US citizen. I have personal experience dealing with this sort of thing.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 41):
Which position is actually correct ?

From Article I of the US Constitution:

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

Natural born citizens are those who are eligible at birth for US citizenship; those born on American soil, and those with at least one citizen parent.

The fourteen years clause applies to everybody.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

FlyingSicilian

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Incorrect.

Only one parent needs to be a US citizen, and the child is a natural born citizen. THe US constitiution says nothing about place of birth. The opposite of natural born would be naturalized, which he is not.

Just like McCain in the Canel Zone or the older Romney they are/were natural born citizens of the USA.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

Braniff747SP

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:21 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 43):

Humm. I read somewhere that it was both, but I guess not.

I stand corrected.

DocLightning

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:36 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 36):
It is isn't silent on the subject at all. It states you must be a natural born citizen or a citizen by the date of the radification of the Constitution.

Yes, but there is no mention of dual citizenship.

There are some interesting arguments. One could legally argue that the word "natural" in the Constitution means that babies born via C-section are ineligible. Read that in an article this morning. Ridiculous, yes, but then again courts have decided ridiculous things before. I doubt they'd come to this conclusion, however.

Others have argued that the only "natural-born" citizens are those who had no allegiances to any other countries at the time of birth, meaning that their parents both had to be citizens of the US (or at least not citizens of any other country) at the time of birth and some have argued that the birth must take place in the USA as well. And some have argued that only descendants of the original citizens of the US at the time of the Constitution's ratification are eligible.

Birther nonsense has been a bipartisan thing among both parties fringe elements. When McCain was running against Obama he was attacked over his CZ birth.

I don't remember any such attacks. If they happened, they were very sparse. And there was a key difference: while some people might have claimed that Mr. McCain was not a "natural-born citizen," nobody was accusing him of producing a forged document, which is a much more serious allegation.

The Birther movement had as much as 30% of GOP voters at one point. And even after Mr. Obama had won the election, they still didn't stop. They kept demanding his COLB over and over and over until finally the state of Hawaii had to make an exception to their own policy and release it at Mr. Obama's request. Even GOP politicians were quoted as saying that they "weren't sure." Even Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, and Michele Bachmann all said things that were at least sympathetic to the Birthers.

And yet, even after Hawaii finally released the "full-form COLB" the Birthers STILL haven't stopped. They still have "questions" that are "unanswered." Which is a way of saying: "I don't care about facts and I won't listen to the answers."

Now, was birtherism bipartisan? Well, maybe a little. Some of the earliest Birthers were actually ardent Hillary supporters. But that's like arguing that a congressional vote was "bipartisan" because all Democrats and two Republicans voted "yes."

The claim that birtherism is bipartisan reeks of the same political malaise that is infecting the mainstream press. It's this need to find "balance" between a centrist party (the Democrats) and an increasingly extremist right-wing party (the GOP). It's like giving flat-earthers equal time to round-earthers just to "show both sides." It's disingenuous and frankly untrue. Birtherism is an almost exclusively GOP phenomenon with heavily racist and anti-Muslim overtones (the vast majority of birthers also think that Mr. Obama is a Muslim).
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

falstaff

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 38):
Actually, even if Ms Granholm was born in Vancouver, she had American parents. So wouldn't she be considered a 'natural-born American' ? Kind of hoped she could have run for President.

If I am not mistaken she herself said she couldn't run for President.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 46):
I don't remember any such attacks. If they happened, they were very sparse. And there was a key difference: while some people might have claimed that Mr. McCain was not a "natural-born citizen," nobody was accusing him of producing a forged document, which is a much more serious allegation.

McCain's father was a well known US admiral so the family history was already well known by a fair amount of people. John McCain also had been involved with politics for a long time and people on both sides knew him. Ten years ago most Democrats never heard of Obama.

Here is something from the Michigan Law Review about why McCain can't be President.

http://www.michiganlawreview.org/assets/fi/107/mccain.pdf

There was a resolution making John McCain's natural born status official, and it was sponsored by Democrats, including Obama.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-sr511/text
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

RyanairGuru

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:37 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 39):
So you would have no problem with an American Governor-General? Maybe so since you accept rule by some pompous woman 6,000 miles away who has never done anything for you

The nationality of the Governor-General is probably meaningless as their functions are largely honorary. However, in Australia our last Prime Minister was born in the UK, and the last Premier of New South Wales was an American (with an American accent). I don't think people care, after all we are a nation of immigrants.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

connies4ever
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:45 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 48):
The nationality of the Governor-General is probably meaningless as their functions are largely honorary. However, in Australia our last Prime Minister was born in the UK, and the last Premier of New South Wales was an American (with an American accent). I don't think people care, after all we are a nation of immigrants.

Probably not addressed in the Constitution, but since the G-G is nominated by the Crown, you can bet at least a citizen of a Commonwealth nation.