Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zkojq

RE: Ted Cruz - US Senator From Canada

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:36 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 39):
So you would have no problem with an American Governor-General?

I'd be fine with that:

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 48):

Noone (other than maybe a few at the fringe) cares about nationality so long as they do a good job. If they don't its just something else that will be held against them.

[Edited 2013-08-22 20:11:40]
First to fly the 787-9

N1120A

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:07 am

Where is Orly Taitz on this one? How about those nuts on YouTube who try and pretend the Law of the Sea means anything with regards to the US Constitution?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Mir

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Birthers: the gift that keeps on giving.

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/08/...porters-dont-question-eligibility/

When Democrat Barack Obama was running for president in 2008, Republican voter Christina Katok of Walden said she believed he was ineligible for the job.

She reasoned that he was born in Kenya and therefore wasn’t a “natural born” American — one of a handful of constitutional requirements for the job. (Obama's birth certificate shows that he was born in Hawaii, but some critics do not accept that as fact.)

Fast forward six years and another freshman U.S. senator, Canadian-born Tea Party firebrand Ted Cruz of Texas, is being mentioned as a potential 2016 presidential candidate. But Katok, who would vote for Cruz in a heartbeat, doesn’t have any concerns about his eligibility.

“As far as I’m concerned, Canada is not really foreign soil,” she said.

There are no words. None.   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Revelation

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 52):
There are no words. None.

Quoting Mir (Reply 52):

Somehow I doubt Ms. Katok feels the same way about Mexico...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Mir

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:56 pm

The irony, of course, is that Obama has more boxes checked in the "eligible to be president" category than Cruz does - he's got a US mother and was actually born in the US, whereas Cruz only has the US mother.

Can you imagine the outcry there would have been if Obama had actually been born in Kenya to a US mother and a Kenyan father? We would have never heard the end of the court challenges. But somehow Cruz gets a pass. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

falstaff

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 52):

I'd like to hear what the Canadians say about that.... Of course I have heard that same statement made by Democrats in the UAW, regarding American cars built in Canada.

Obama's situation didn't get any help from his own book's dust jacket.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-...er/obama-birthplace_b_1530399.html

I firmly believe Obama was born in Hawaii, but used the Kenyan thing to be able to get some sort of tuition scam in college. I can't say I blame him, I pulled residency scam to get in state tuition, so if he could pull off deal about being Kenyan to get a good deal, good for him.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

garnetpalmetto

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 55):
but used the Kenyan thing to be able to get some sort of tuition scam in college

Except there's never been any allegations made (aside from an e-mail April Fool's hoax in 2009) of this. His Directory info at Columbia listed him as a resident of Hawaii. So why go from claiming to be a Kenyan (or Indonesian as the April Fool's '09 hoax claimed) at Occidental to claiming to be a Hawaiian resident at Columbia?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Tugger

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 54):
The irony, of course, is that Obama has more boxes checked in the "eligible to be president" category than Cruz does - he's got a US mother and was actually born in the US, whereas Cruz only has the US mother.

Can you imagine the outcry there would have been if Obama had actually been born in Kenya to a US mother and a Kenyan father? We would have never heard the end of the court challenges. But somehow Cruz gets a pass. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

I believe the laws regarding eligibility were different/clarified/changed between President Obama's birth and Sen. Cruz's birth.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

WestJet747

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Meh, if he's never created any value for Canada, and apparently has no desire to be Canadian, then why continue to be one?

With that said, I could not think of a reason that I could personally use to renounce my citizenship. No matter what I do in my life, and where I go, there's really no benefit to narrowing down my dual-citizenship to just a single citizenship (I'm not a dual citizen, just speaking hypothetically).

In regards to Sen. Cruz'z case, I think it's a bad move, but not for the aforementioned reasons. If he were to get elected President (as much a far cry as it may be), his dual-citizenship would like be an asset in US-Canada relations. On the flip side, running for President with a dual-citizenship doesn't actually hurt him. I think only the "ultra-patriots", who are a small minority, would actually care about a candidate being more than just American.

But like I said, if he really wants to have only American citizenship, then that's his right. Although no matter what he does he won't be able to change that birth certificate!

Quoting Mir (Reply 52):

I'd like to hear what the Canadians say about that

I firmly believe Obama was born in Hawaii, but used the Kenyan thing to be able to get some sort of tuition scam in college.

I don't know if there's anything to support that or not, but I could believe it. Many, many students exaggerate some of their information in order to get better scholarships or more favourable loans. I never did because I was deathly afraid of being caught and losing it.
Flying refined.

sccutler

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:17 pm

For the life of me, I cannot see why people get all excited about this stuff.

Who among us plans our lives around documenting a presidential run in four decades or so? Or, for that matter, has a choice?

For those who sought to discredit President Obama through the whole birth certificate angle, absent compelling and irrefutable proof that the (then) candidate was disqualified from running for or holding office, no story, move along. And it was ever thus. By clinging to this ridiculous public effort, less attention was allocated to the legitimate, polcy-based reasons to oppose the President's candidacy. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

As for Senator Cruz, again, who gives a rat's patootie? So he's entitled to claim dual citizenship; anyone here believe he's gonna, what, get elected than give Michigan to the Canucks?

OK, bad example. Maybe... Washington?

My nephew holds dual citizenship, US and Australia, and I fervently hope he is elected President some day. We should be so lucky!

We're a nation built almost entirely upon the shoulders of immigrants; why in goodness' name would we want to deny or denigrate diversity of national origin and culture?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Maverick623

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 54):
I don't get it. I just don't get it.

You're assuming there's some type of logic at play in those people's minds.

There's not. It's pure emotion, coupled with extreme partisan politics and a not-so-healthy dose of racism.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

DocLightning

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:37 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 54):
Can you imagine the outcry there would have been if Obama had actually been born in Kenya to a US mother and a Kenyan father? We would have never heard the end of the court challenges. But somehow Cruz gets a pass.

1) Cruz is Republican
2) Cruz looks like he's probably mostly white, so we can forgive his last name. Besides, if we can handle "Rubio," how hard is "Cruz"?
3) Cruz probably isn't Muslim because he's white and has a name that would make him Catholic, probably.

Sorry, am I being cynical?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 61):
3) Cruz probably isn't Muslim because he's white

Huh?
Plenty of white Muslims - Chechnya, fmr Yugoslav Republics as well as that Boston bomber that was given rock star treatment by Rolling Stone magazine.
Oh and of course Cat Stevens.....

Quoting sccutler (Reply 59):
My nephew holds dual citizenship, US and Australia, and I fervently hope he is elected President some day. We should be so lucky!

He has my vote!   
Bring back the Concorde

CPH-R

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 46):
Now, was birtherism bipartisan? Well, maybe a little. Some of the earliest Birthers were actually ardent Hillary supporters.

Not sure if that'd count as bipartisan. After 'Dear Hillary' dropped out of the race and endorsed Obama, most of the birther faction (they were centered around the PUMA PAC IIRC) slammed her and went over to supporting Sarah Palin instead. There's still a small handful of them out there, who believe that the Clinton family knew Obama was ineligible, but had been threatened into silence (yes, the Clinton family with a hitlist and Secret Service protection)

garnetpalmetto

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 63):

Not sure if that'd count as bipartisan. After 'Dear Hillary' dropped out of the race and endorsed Obama, most of the birther faction (they were centered around the PUMA PAC IIRC) slammed her and went over to supporting Sarah Palin instead. There's still a small handful of them out there, who believe that the Clinton family knew Obama was ineligible, but had been threatened into silence (yes, the Clinton family with a hitlist and Secret Service protection)

To be fair while some PUMAs went birther, they weren't the "center" of the birther corps, nor the first birthers at all (the first birther type sentiments popped up on The Free Republic and PUMAs or no, there's very little overlap between Dems and Freepers.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

ikramerica

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 1):
I'd rather they not. We don't need the Democrats at large to fall prey to the birther shenanigans that have yet to go away.

actually, the reason this is a story is that they are establishing "natural born citizen" as someone born to at least one american no matter where in the world the birth took place because it will "put to rest" the issue before the real lineage of our President is revealed. By making sure to point out how Cruz is eligible to run and qualifying him publicly, it makes the Obama story moot after the fact.

That way, once Obama's Harvard records are discovered and it is revealed that he applied as a Kenyan (there is little other way a druggie with poor grades at Oxy would get in as a transfer without foreign credentials or extremely influential parents), it "wont' matter."

And at this point it doesn't matter.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 8):
There is a difference between Obama and Cruz in this case. The difference is: There is actual hard and fast evidence that Cruz was born in Canada and there is no evidence that Obama was born outside the United States.

there is no evidence he was born anywhere. what was produced from Hawaii is not evidence and the government there has circled the wagons just as Harvard circled the wagons.

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 12):
Sure, if by "sketchy" you mean "Completely and totally verified to everyone with an iota of critical thinking skills and common sense with more evidence than any other prior president has provided," then yes, absolutely.

if you say so.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Ken777

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:53 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 22):
He never officialized that status by obtaining a Canadian passport or citizenship certificate.

Not necessary - he is still a Canadian Citizen in Canada's eyes. Dual is dual so he can legitimately be called the Canadian American running for President. That birth certificate is being easily accepted where Obama's wasn't.

What's a Birther to do?

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 29):
So....that makes him a Republican version of Obama then.

Obama is going to consider that an insult - just like Cheney being some distant relative. The Black Sheep in his family.

Cruz seems to me to be more of a McCarthy in terms of his mouth. I believe that Cruz is more intelligent than McCarthy and probably drinks less, but I see him ending up with as poor a reputation as McCarthy got.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 29):
The issue will be whether he needs renounce the dual citizenship, but the constitution is silent on this.

It's renounced from what I read, but he's still the Canadian American as far as his opponents are concerned - both GOP Primary opponents and the Democrats if he actually gets that way.

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 32):
Ted Cruz has 5-10% chance of getting GOP nomination

Even that is scary.   

garnetpalmetto

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:44 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 65):

That way, once Obama's Harvard records are discovered and it is revealed that he applied as a Kenyan (there is little other way a druggie with poor grades at Oxy would get in as a transfer without foreign credentials or extremely influential parents), it "wont' matter."

Huh. First of all, lucky for him he didn't go from Occidental to Harvard. He went from Occidental to Columbia, where by all accounts he was a motivated, focused student, unlike his time at Occidental, and then to Harvard. But assuming he went to Harvard under the auspices of being Kenyan, he sure did an awful job of hiding it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/06/us...ard-s-law-review.html?pagewanted=1

The new president of the Review is Barack Obama, a 28-year-old graduate of Columbia University who spent four years heading a community development program for poor blacks on Chicago's South Side before enrolling in law school. His late father, Barack Obama, was a finance minister in Kenya and his mother, Ann Dunham, is an American anthropologist now doing fieldwork in Indonesia. Mr. Obama was born in Hawaii.

Yup, top notch job there at claiming to be Kenyan, Barack.   

And at this point it doesn't matter.

You're right. The American people have elected the president twice now and no matter what illusory claims the herp derp birthers can claim, the truth is on the President's side.   

there is no evidence he was born anywhere. what was produced from Hawaii is not evidence and the government there has circled the wagons just as Harvard circled the wagons.

Yup, no evidence at all except a "short form" birth certificate, a "long form" birth certificates, numerous statements from officials in two different Hawaiian gubernatorial administrations under both major political parties to certify/attest to those certificates, birth notices in two different newspapers taken from hospital birth records, and contemporary accounts from several individuals who were there at the time. But hey, if that's no evidence, by all means invent a time machine to go back in time to Hawaii 1961 yourself. As for "circling the wagons," Harvard's circling the wagons as much as the University of South Carolina would circle the wagons if you called and asked for my educational records. That is to say, there's this little thing called FERPA. Get acquainted with it. It effects the education record of every American including you, me, and the President.

if you say so.

Yup. I do say so. But you don't have to take my word for it. Please do provide me the "short form" and "long form" birth certificates of just about any American president as well as birth notices. I'll wait, but I won't hold my breath.

DocLightning

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 62):
Huh?
Plenty of white Muslims - Chechnya, fmr Yugoslav Republics as well as that Boston bomber that was given rock star treatment by Rolling Stone magazine.
Oh and of course Cat Stevens.....

Not in the world of people who claim that Mr. Obama is a Muslim. If he was white and his name was Smith, nobody would be saying that.

For those who claim he is Muslim, there is nothing that he can ever say or do that would convince them otherwise.

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 63):
Not sure if that'd count as bipartisan.

I was being charitable and "balanced."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:14 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 68):
Not in the world of people who claim that Mr. Obama is a Muslim.

Wrong again. Let's not make things up to prove something false. Many of those who were rightfully outraged over the Rolling Stones cover were also questioning Obama's religious beliefs.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 68):
If he was white and his name was Smith, nobody would be saying that.

Well Barry is white - well 50%.
If Ted Cruz's last name was Smith, the lefties wouldn't be saying anything. They're so afraid of a Latino being their nominee because that would take away a significant portion of the Latino vote that the Democrats feel they own.
Bring back the Concorde

einsteinboricua

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 69):
They're so afraid of a Latino being their nominee because that would take away a significant portion of the Latino vote that the Democrats feel they own.

I think Latinos know better than that. I'm Latino and I wouldn't support Cruz even if he promised to attend PR's status. Yeah...he's (half) Latino, but what about the rest of his party who act like Latinos don't matter?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Superfly

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:32 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 70):
Yeah...he's (half) Latino, but what about the rest of his party who act like Latinos don't matter?

I've read the GOP platform. Where are you getting this rumor that they act like Latinos don't matter?
Bring back the Concorde

Boeing717200

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 70):

I think Latinos know better than that. I'm Latino and I wouldn't support Cruz even if he promised to attend PR's status. Yeah...he's (half) Latino, but what about the rest of his party who act like Latinos don't matter?

Only Democrats say that Latinos don't matter to Republicans. It's part of the well crafted lie.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

einsteinboricua

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm sorry.

I forgot it was a Democrat who insisted on allowing Dreamers to stay while deporting their parents.
Link
Link 2

It has been Democrats effectively making voting harder for plenty of citizens (debatable...).
Link

It has been Democrats who have stalled immigration reform (because, as we all know, Democrats only care about the white vote and they have complete control over Congress).
Link

It was a Democrat candidate who coined the term "self-deportation".
Link

And it is the Democrats who are desperate for Hispanic votes or else their party may not have a chance of winning future elections.
Link

Apparently I must have knocked my head into something. Yes, it's all part of a well crafted lie.

Boeing717200

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 73):

So wait, if I go to Mexico without permission and get deported does that mean Mexico doesn't care about white people?

BTW... That's the great lie. The whole "your against illegal immigration because you don't like Latinos" nonsense.

The fact is we have laws and people should obey those laws. It has nothing to do with race.

[Edited 2013-08-25 13:08:48]

DocLightning

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 69):
If Ted Cruz's last name was Smith, the lefties wouldn't be saying anything. They're so afraid of a Latino being their nominee because that would take away a significant portion of the Latino vote that the Democrats feel they own.

I don't think that any Democrat is afraid of Mr. Cruz. Mr. Cruz is a Mr. Perry or Mr. Santorum. He's not going to get the nomination and if he did, Latinos would be less interested in his last name than some of the absurd things he says. The many Latinos that I know may be proud of their heritage, but they aren't blinded by it. Most of them will care more about immigration policy than a candidate's last name.

I will point out that Allan West wasn't exactly the darling of the African-American community. And Mr. Cruz is half-Irish, doesn't "look Hispanic," (he looks like a swarthy White guy), doesn't speak Spanish, and doesn't publicly follow a lot of Latino traditions. Oh, and he's a Southern Baptist. I think that most Latinos will have one look at him and decide that he's just a white guy who happens to have a Spanish last name. That was certainly my first impression the first time I heard about him, before I'd read anything about him.

Do you know who's really worried about him and his Latino heritage? The GOP. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...cruz-spanish-debate_n_1568958.html

Quoting Superfly (Reply 71):
I've read the GOP platform. Where are you getting this rumor that they act like Latinos don't matter?

Their behavior. Their refusal to move forward on immigration reform while making more and more absurd demands for increased militarization of the border and demands for an even stricter and more cruel system.

There are a lot of Latinos of voting age whose parents are illegal immigrants or have other "marginal" immigration status. And they are going to vote. And in the Latino culture, family is of paramount importance. I'll also point out that when I am around Latinos (which I am a lot and I'm bilingual), politics comes up a lot. They really love politics. I try to avoid it in casual conversation.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Boeing717200

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 75):

Their behavior. Their refusal to move forward on immigration reform while making more and more absurd demands for increased militarization of the border and demands for an even stricter and more cruel system.

We don't need "immigration reform". We need law enforcement. The law isn't broken, people have broken the law. It's not complicated. There is also no such thing as "marginal status". You are either here legally or you are not. You have either committed a crime or you have not. Contrary to what you beleive politically, being here illegally is a crime. Again, it's not complicated.

[Edited 2013-08-25 13:25:33]

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:27 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 76):

We don't need "immigration reform". We need law enforcement. The law isn't broken, people have broken the law. It's not complicated. There is also no such thing as "marginal status". You are either here legally or you are not. You have either committed a crime or you have not. Contrary to what you beleive politically, being here illegally is a crime. Again, it's not complicated.

Then this country should stop labeling itself as the land of opportunity, the land made up of immigrants, and the beacon of freedom worldwide. If you won't even give people a chance to become citizens of the country and escape from worse conditions, then the name is definitely too big for the US.

Boeing717200

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:50 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 77):
Then this country should stop labeling itself as the land of opportunity, the land made up of immigrants, and the beacon of freedom worldwide. If you won't even give people a chance to become citizens of the country and escape from worse conditions, then the name is definitely too big for the US.

You're trying to lump legal immigration with illegal immigration.

There is plenty of opportunity out there and anyone who comes here legally is welcome to it.

Superfly

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:00 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 74):
So wait, if I go to Mexico without permission and get deported does that mean Mexico doesn't care about white people?

They wont be any friendlier to blacks either.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 74):
BTW... That's the great lie. The whole "your against illegal immigration because you don't like Latinos" nonsense.

What's with this immigration nonsense anyway? There are millions of Latinos in America that are legal citizens - many 2nd, 3rd & 4th generation. I'd like to hear how the Republicans or Ted Cruz "doesn't care" about them as einstein claims. Latinos are concerned about the same issues as whites, blacks, Asians and all other ethnic groups - jobs, jobs and jobs!

I will point out that Allan West wasn't exactly the darling of the African-American community.

So? Allen West is 10 times the man as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton who are darlings in the African-American community.

And Mr. Cruz is half-Irish,

...and Obama is half White American. So is George Zimmerman. So your point?

That was certainly my first impression the first time I heard about him, before I'd read anything about him.

I didn't think twice about his ethnicity.

Their refusal to move forward on immigration

Good!

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 76):
We don't need "immigration reform". We need law enforcement. The law isn't broken, people have broken the law.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 78):
You're trying to lump legal immigration with illegal immigration.

That is the only way the Democrats can win is by confusing the voters on this issue.

I know if I was here in Thailand illegally, I'd be thrown in jail, then kicked out and never allowed to return. I know plenty of people here in Asia that would like to come to the US but they have to go through a long rigorous process. Just because Mexico shares a boarder with the United States doesn't give them a right to cut in line ahead of everyone else.
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 78):

There is plenty of opportunity out there and anyone who comes here legally is welcome to it.

Apparently, you've never tried to legally immigrate. It's damned near impossible. It can take so long that legal immigrants have the choice between leaving the country when their visas run out, and thus forfeiting the residency requirements or staying past their visa and thus becoming illegal immigrants. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Paradoxically, increased border security has actually INCREASED the number of illegal immigrants in the country because once they are here, they know that crossing the border again is very difficult, so they stay.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 79):
I know if I was here in Thailand illegally

The USA isn't Thailand and Thailand doesn't have the vast numbers of illegal immigrants to deal with that the USA does. A big part of the problem here isn't the principle, it's the logistics. You can't round them all up and deport them. That's like saying that you're going to win the War on Drugs. It's not about whether we should or shouldn't. It's that the idea of building a million-mile-high fence charged to a gazillion volts with sharks with friggin' laser beams isn't going to keep immigrants out as long as they can boat around it or fly over it or tunnel under it, and that they are so vast in number and so hard to find that an enforcement focus simply can't work.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Maverick623

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm

what was produced from Hawaii is not evidence

Correct.

It isn't evidence. It's proof.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Superfly

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:47 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 80):
enforcement focus simply can't work.

Sure it can. Go after them with the same zeal as the IRS...
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 82):
Sure it can. Go after them with the same zeal as the IRS...

Again, did that work for the War on Drugs? For that matter, does the IRS ensure that nobody ever cheats on taxes?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 83):
For that matter, does the IRS ensure that nobody ever cheats on taxes?

They enure intimidation against those people and organizations that aren't in lock step with the current President. Also 16,500 new IRS agents were hired last year. They maybe knocking on me & your door for non-compliance. Easy to do when you have a 78,000+ page tax code. Impossible to stay on top of such cumbersome tax code.
Bring back the Concorde