Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheGov
Topic Author

Local TV News Stations- How Bad Are Yours?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:08 am

Lately, our local television news stations seem to be in a battle of who can flash the "Breaking News!" banner first and the loudest. More often than not they lead off every broadcast with the titles and accompanying theme music regardless of how "breaking" the story might be. Then, to make matters worse, they also include a Breaking News Update (without the theme music) somewhere in the broadcast to follow up on their reporting of some inane story. Finally, our local reporters seem to have thrown Webster's out the window when it comes to their grammar. While reporting from the scene of a "breaking news" story, instead of saying, "here is what we know occurred", they like to say, "here is what went down out here on the scene". Really? I'm sure many a journalism professor is aghast at the reporters out there when they hear this little gem.

So, my question is: do we have the worst local stations in the whole of the country or are our local stations like others found throughout the country? (I won't explicitly tell you where I am - maybe you can figure it out. After all, the grossly ignorant need to be protected from this BREAKING NEWS!)
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

KPDX

RE: Local TV News Stations- How Bad Are Yours?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:35 am

I love my local news station. (Fox 12.. Good Day Oregon.)

http://www.kptv.com/

Excellent crew, and I much prefer it to national mainstream media news channels.   

fr8mech

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:37 am

Quoting TheGov (Thread starter):
Lately, our local television news stations seem to be in a battle of who can flash the "Breaking News!" banner first and the loudest.

Our local Fox affliliate's general manager came out on an editorial and said he will not allow the use of "Breaking News", because...more often than not, it is not breaking news and sometimes not even news.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/22895753/w...pears-on-cnn-to-talk-breaking-news

I also like that they run an hour earlier than the others. The local CBS affiliate is also watchable.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

flymia

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:49 am

Unless there is a tropical system near by I don't watch much local news. These days I don't even deal with the national media on TV I just get everything online unless there are big stories.

But if I had to chose the local NBC station is decent and their Cheif metrologist is a pilot. Gives him extra points over the others.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Jetsgo

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:59 am

Local news in Sacramento and the Bay Area was great. The local news here in Reno is a complete JOKE. I'd say it's an entry level resume job, but these "writers" are doing themselves a complete disservice if they ever hope to reference their articles somewhere down the road. Horrible spelling, poor context, lack of info, and as you mentioned cheesy graphics.

And to top it off, the Reno Gazette Journal thinks their worthy of an charging out online subscription. Sick of it.

/rant  
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Tugger

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:05 am

San Diego has six stations that produce their own news broadcast. They are all fairly decent though some are better than others. Others may disagree as I don't follow them too closely but from what I have seen, I don't think any of them are all that bad, so perhaps we are lucky.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

doug_or

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:22 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 5):
San Diego has six stations that produce their own news broadcast. They are all fairly decent though some are better than others. Others may disagree as I don't follow them too closely but from what I have seen, I don't think any of them are all that bad, so perhaps we are lucky.

Tugg

Come on! Not a single Ron Burgundy joke?
When in doubt, one B pump off

seb146

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:47 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 1):
I love my local news station. (Fox 12.. Good Day Oregon.)

http://www.kptv.com/

Excellent crew, and I much prefer it to national mainstream media news channels

After FOX got ahold of KPTV and fired Kim Singer, Gary Hill, and Mike O'Brien they sucked! Everything was "breaking" or something they thought was earth shattering. A tree down? A neighborhood is on lock-down! Drunken swimmer arrested? The Sandy River is in chaos! Hangnail? It is a medical disaster for OHSU! I got over them quick when they got rid of the real news people!

I stared watching KGW. They seemed more focused on news and not so much selling a product. Sure, they go with "if it bleeds, it leads" but they weren't as drama queen about it.

I noticed the quality of local news this summer. I saw local news in Reno, Salt Lake City, Boise, Pasco, and Medford. Salt Lake City seemed very professional while the others were amateur hour. Probably limited budget for equipment had something to do with it but, how dramatic can news be in Medford and Pasco? Farm prices and eviction notices? The fires around Medford made their news casts interesting, though.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

fr8mech

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:18 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 7):
. Probably limited budget for equipment had something to do with it but, how dramatic can news be in Medford and Pasco?

That's what it sometimes comes down to, isn't it? The quality of the local news is related to the 'excitment' of the local news. I can always tell a slow news day by the demeanor of the broadcast crew. A lot more inane banter on a slow day. I would rather they just said "nothing new today", run the weather and then cut to a rerun of The Simpsons.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Tugger

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 am

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 6):

:D
Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

SIA747Megatop

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 am

In Singapore it's an utter joke, Channel NewsAsia is absolutely useless IMO, much like our country's national newspaper The Straits Times. Government controlled.

In Chicago I love NBC 5 and CBS 2, both are pretty decent.

I couldn't sleep whilst in Orlando at my hotel, woke up at about 2AM and switched on the TV to one of their local news channels (according to the channel listing on the bedside table) and there was a commercial which I watched for about 20 minutes before realising I was watching paid programming.  

[Edited 2013-09-24 00:16:39]
I found the edit signature button

bluejuice

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:29 am

I found Boston news stations to be terrible. They felt like the unpopular kids that tried to hard to get attention next to likes of bigger cities such as New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Any event that happens in the world must have a "Boston connection" where some attention seeker gets on TV for some soundbites. Typhoon devastates a South East Asian county? Some guy who sat next to someone on a plane flying from PHL-BGR who happened to have vacationed in Thailand in 1979 will be asked for his "expert opinion."

The overuse of BREAKING NEWS for every little event was annoying. Seemingly trivial events like snowstorms which happen ohhh.... every winter.... would be treated as MEGA SNOWPOCOLYPSE 2013 followed by cliched video of empty shelves at cleaned out supermarkets in anticipation of the end of the world. When local (american) football team captain Tom Brady of the New England Patriots was in a car accident, over 50% of the 2 hour evening news broadcast was devoted the tracking down and interviewing anyone within 10 mile of the scene. Finally, I don't miss seeing high school quality captions where Bogota, Colombia is often titled "Bagata, Columbia"
Not biased against vacuum flush.

Bongodog1964

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:58 am

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 11):
Any event that happens in the world must have a "Boston connection" where some attention seeker gets on TV for some soundbites. Typhoon devastates a South East Asian county? Some guy who sat next to someone on a plane flying from PHL-BGR who happened to have vacationed in Thailand in 1979 will be asked for his "expert opinion."

It surprises me that they mention any event that happens more than 10 miles from the City limits, almost without exception I have found US news to be parochial to the extent that a cat stuck in a tree is more newsworthy than a murder in the next County. I assume that this localism reflects the viewpoint of their customers, or they would surely switch off ?
My analysis of US local news programmes would be:
Breaking news
traffic reports
Adverts
Local interest good news story
digital doppler weather report
Adverts

Repeat as above on 10 minute cycle

RyanairGuru

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:37 am

In the entire time that I lived in Greensboro, NC, I managed to get away with only watching WGHP news on two occasions. Don't ask how those two times came about!

Imagine awful and make it worse. WGHP was even worse than that. It was ATROCIOUS!!!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

TheGov
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 am

Finally, our local reporters seem to have thrown Webster's out the window when it comes to their grammar. While reporting from the scene of a "breaking news" story, instead of saying, "here is what we know occurred", they like to say, "here is what went down out here on the scene". Really? I'm sure many a journalism professor is aghast at the reporters out there when they hear this little gem.

Here's another that I forgot to add: IIRC, a Burger King employee got mad at a customer and preceded to jump the counter and assault the hapless individual, which was all caught by the store's cameras. The local news ran with the story and here is how it was introduced - "Stay tuned for the incredible video of the Burger King beat down!"

Priceless
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

OA260

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:12 pm

My local is beamed both sides of the border.

Irish state RTE which is crap. I stopped watching ages ago.

The BBC is the best. BBC Northern Ireland is great.

Sadly I am forced to pay EUR160 for the Irish state TV as I live on the Southern side even though I do not watch it. Id rather they switch it off for those that dont want it. Id rather pay my EUR160 to the BBC.

melpax

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:29 pm

The local news here isn't too bad, the main 6PM bulletins here are more 'hard news', the Melbourne shows also have a heavy sports focus as well. The main difference from the US is that the national current affairs shows at 6.30 carry the more 'tabloid' stories such as dodgy tradespeople, welfare cheats, and neighbourhood disputes instead of the local shows. They are the 'unwatchable' shows for a lot of people....

The top job in network news here would be anchoring one of the main 6PM bulletins in Sydney or Melbourne, the Melbourne anchors for all 3 commercial networks are long-standing, with 2 of them being on-air since the 70's.

Seven news Melbourne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_Qcb4ccDE

And the national Today Tonight, which immediately follows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvh1h_vMSco

Channel 10 has gone back to using the Eyewitness News name for it's main bulletins for the first time since the mid 90's, also the only 1 hour show. Will be strange with Mal retires in a couple of months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L5GftswPaU

daviation

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Local News here in New York City is pathetic. "Black teen gunned down by another black teen," "Fire in tenement apartment building," "Landlord refuses to fix elevators."

Then much later in the broadcast: "Syria imploding," "Egypt on the brink," "North Korea threatens Asia and U.S."

By the time you reach the real news of the world, you're numb from the stupidity of the opening "breaking news." And there are always family members who are thrilled to have their television moment even if one of their kids has just been killed.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

CalebWilliams

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:52 pm

I try to avoid most local TV news here in MSP. I prefer KARE11 (NBC affiliate) or WCCO (CBS affiliate) when I do watch. Eyewitness News 5 (ABC) and Fox9 (Fox) are not worth watching if there is another station on.

Fox9 does have a local morning program instead of a national show like GMA or TODAY which is okay to once every month or so (not that I'm ever awake at that time if I'm not at work).
Caleb Williams MSP AUS STL AMS CPH LGW YYZ

andz

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:47 pm

I don't watch the local news because the reporters and anchors are embarrassingly bad. They can hardly speak English, their pronunciation and enunciation are dreadful and to be honest I don't want to know which local politician has been caught with their hand in the cookie jar this week.

If I watch any news channel it is Sky News.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

jetblueguy22

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:57 pm

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 6):

My local news here in GFK is terrible. Our stations are the kind of place some recent grad starts out to gain experience before moving up to a big fancy station in New York or LA. I've only watched it a handful of times. When I'm home in CT I always watch WFSB and very much enjoy it. They have some good journalists and they aren't using the same cameras since the 1960s like the stations here are. Though they always drop the Breaking News for every little thing. A car accident in Andover, a tiny town, is not Breaking News.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

srbmod

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:59 pm

I think in most markets, the local TV news is pretty rough, especially since so many of them now do evening news from 4-6:30 or 4-7 PM and end up having to stretch stories out as a result.

Here in Atlanta, 4 stations have their own news departments (a fifth station shares the news department of their sister station) and many of the channels have had a lot of the same anchors for a number of years. A few have retired in the last year and one station opted not to renew the contract of one of their longtime evening anchors after a DUI arrest. Most of the field reporters at the stations here joined their stations in the last few years and obviously came from smaller markets and many of their longtime field reporters have either moved to different markets, been promoted to an anchor, retired, or didn't have their contracts renewed. Myself, I hardly watch any of the local stations anyway and about the only time I really watch any of them is in bad weather. Our worst station for news is probably our CBS affiliate, as their news department has been an also-ran for years (About the only time they garnered attention was when they hired a failry hot redhead to do the weather and they put her on billboards all over town and their 4 PM newscast got some pretty decent ratings as a result. A lot of their former on-air talent now work in smaller markets.)

blueflyer

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:15 am

Worst I ever saw was the local affiliate of one of the big three networks in Dallas (sorry, can't remember which). They really reported on an old lady's cat. Stuck in a tree. And saved by firemen. Seriously. In Dallas.

I don't care how slow a news day it is, you've lost the right to call your broadcast News anything at that point.

melpax

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Melbourne's own Ron Burgundy, Mal Walden.

From the early 80's, this went live to air....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq4eaKYq1ZI

ER757

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Lately, our local television news stations seem to be in a battle of who can flash the "Breaking News!" banner first and the loudest. More often than not they lead off every broadcast with the titles and accompanying theme music regardless of how "breaking" the story might be.

Oh yeah, this is epidemic here in Seattle - especially KING5. Just about every 5:00 PM broadcast opens with "Breaking News" and then there is very little to report, or it's a non-event anyhow. Pathetic.
They also are very small town in their mentality even though Seattle is a rather large metro area. A 747 could collide with an A-380, fall onto a TGV and be rammed by a tour bus somewhere in Europe or Asia and it would only get a passing mention in the 2nd half of the show. But if a tourist from Seattle stubbed his toe at the Great Wall of China it would be the headline story.

zippyjet

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 am

The big three stations in Baltimore have their ups and downs. In the 70's the then ABC affilliate WJZ channel 13 was referred to as Disco News because their cheesey theme featured a mediocre looking girl disco dancing at the local disco named Girrards, sort of the redneck dixie version of NYC's Studio 54. Before the 70's this staion featured a cool theme from the James Bond Movie From Russia With Love. The music was from the scene where Bond and the hot chick were running in the subway tunnel after some kind of explosian. Back then the then CBS affiliate WMAR Channel 2 had Newswatch which was Snoozewatch and their brodcast was bush leage. One of the anchors was an 80 something codjer who also starred on local A&P supermarket commercials. That station was so bad, CBS just said no and jumped ship. Back in the day CBS usually tried to get the lower channels on the VHF dial for better reception. Our CBS station like New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles to name a few all were channel 2 but no, our local station had to be such crud the network fired them.

Back to news, our NBC affiliate used to have the weather woman who also had a tacky puppet on a kiddie's show. Those were the days. Now, our news is pretty standard across the board. Only thing different is the crime blotter stories. If you are not from Baltimore or for that matter not familiar with the city a lot of the news seems irrelevent except if you are going to drive. You don't want to venture into those funky neighborhoods.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

RyanairGuru

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:59 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 25):
weather woman

You just reminded me about my local news here in Canberra. Overall I think that the quality of local news is [slightly] better in Australia than USA (after all, it couldn't get much worse!) but the local ABC News affiliate here used to have a cracker of a weatherman.

Unfortunately he retired last year, but he wore a different fresh cut flower every day (and sometimes had a veritable bouquet on his lapel) and always told you about the flower in his reports. This floral obsession was on top of the fact that he was truly, cringeworthily, awful. At first it was painful to have to sit through the weather report, but there was something so simple and endearing about it that he became something of a local celebrity.

This is his final report, and ends with a montage of some of his flowers. It was truly something!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67si71euV4

"we'll miss your bad jokes, we'll miss your dreadful outfits, we'll miss your stumbles, but most of all we will miss the joy you bring us all"
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Okie

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:27 am

Lately, our local television news stations seem to be in a battle of who can flash the "Breaking News!" banner first and the loudest

Then not have any additional information for the newscast other than the headline.

In general the news is pretty good around OKC and the weather is beyond excellent with the latest equipment available. I really notice that the standard is pretty high here when visiting other cities in the US. That being said when the weekends arrive there are a lot of interns and graduate's vying for air time, especially since we have one of the best journalism and meteorology colleges at OU.
Quick observation, a journalism degree or meteorology degree does not a newscaster or weatherperson make.

Okie

Aesma

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:44 am

If we're mentioning our location by airport code then it's TNF. There isn't a tradition of local news stations in France, since for decades you could only get 1 then 2 then 3 channels, all state-run (and state censored). Starting in the 80s we got more channels, but always national ones, with France 3 being "localized" for an hour here and there (evening news mostly), what that means for me is news from the Ile-de-France region, including Paris, let's just say it's not really "local" unless there are riots where I live (which happens).

Since the introduction of cable TV there is TVFIL78, a truly local station, I've been interviewed or featured several times over the years (as a kid I was elected at the kid's city council, then later I was part of events). I don't have cable so I never saw the end result !

Now with digital TV there are a couple of private Ile-de-France channels I can get, I had never tried until now, one has no programming so late/early, the other is showing a stupid sitcom, not too promising !

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 11):
I found Boston news stations to be terrible. They felt like the unpopular kids that tried to hard to get attention next to likes of bigger cities such as New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Any event that happens in the world must have a "Boston connection" where some attention seeker gets on TV for some soundbites. Typhoon devastates a South East Asian county? Some guy who sat next to someone on a plane flying from PHL-BGR who happened to have vacationed in Thailand in 1979 will be asked for his "expert opinion."

I already don't like that attitude when French people with a real (but not significant) relation to the story are mentioned, like getting interviews of people in a Club Med in Madagascar being stranded by the Icelandic volcano, etc.

For that reason I tend to watch euronews, a multinational channel that concentrates on important things.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Bongodog1964

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:17 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 26):
This is his final report, and ends with a montage of some of his flowers. It was truly something!

This is a true classic, its a wonder at times that he didn't disappear behind the foliage on his lapel. Was every night amateur night ?

RyanairGuru

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 29):
Was every night amateur night

Oh God yes! His last weather report was pretty coherent, but normally he tripped up on his lines everywhere (the frozen frogs is just one example) and interjected his reports with the sorts of jokes that make you just want to curl up and die. Television just won't be the same again 
Worked Hard, Flew Right

melpax

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 am

Must be something with the ABC weather presenters, though in their defence being taxpayer funded they proably can't afford to pay for Footballer's wives to do the weather like the commercial networks!

Case in point, Rebecca Judd, wife of the Carlton captain Chris Judd presents the weather for the Nine Network in MEL. Obviously doesn't hurt that she's both easy on the eye & married to one of the most high profile (and highly paid) AFL footballers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEHdH90M1oE

Edwin Maher, who was the ABC weatherman in MEL during the 80's & 90's - now working in Beijing for Chinese State TV. He would use a different pointer each night, people would send in outlandish pointers for him to use when presenting.... Though his delivery was way more presentable than that bloke they had in Canberra!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WikKCWaOCbA

stlgph

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:37 pm

The problem with almost every local news station

1. "Breaking news" moniker is used way too much. When it's first read, it's breaking. When you begin coverage, it's "developing," when the news cast ends and you move onto the next show, it's "continuing coverage."

2. Reporters don't report anymore, they rely on press releases.

3. Reporters when hired at stations need to spend at least a month if not two writing news reports and updates for the web and working the assignment desk. They need to learn the town, the area, the geography, and learn the contacts before getting thrown out on the street and not knowing the town or community.

4. Stations/reporters/producers are flooding all their stories and reports on facebook and twitter. It's more a game as much as they can possibly get out there, almost as if there's a contest to see who can tweet the most or post on facebook the most. All stations need to cut back by 80% and worry more about engagement with one or two stories more than playing the numbers game.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

MaverickM11

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Is anyone surprised? Especially on an airline site? At least people expect to pay *something* to be flung through the air on a hundred million dollar machine. Journalism on the other hand? Everyone expects it to be free. The ads pay for it! Except they don't. So you get what you pay for, in both cases.
I don't take responsibility at all

skywaymanaz

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:43 am

When I was living in Flagstaff in the late 80's to early 90's ch2 KNAZ the NBC affiliate produced a newscast. I remember thinking it was pretty cheesy at the time. It is one of the smallest DMA markets in the country. I had an opportunity to work for independent start up ch13 KKTM when they first went on the air there. I remember once helping produce a local interest story with an RCA camcorder I borrowed from a friend. They couldn't even keep the tower going half the time but had a direct feed to cable company at least. I spent a few cold winter nights on Mormon Mountain to help keep the transmitter broadcasting. The rumor was they were independent because the Phoenix stations that had built repeaters on Mt. Elden overlooking the town were unwilling to concede the market to a local station. I'm not clear on the legalities there but there was a crackdown on radio repeaters around that time to better protect local stations, not sure about TV. They did get a WB affiliation shortly after I moved to Phoenix that was not renewed after one year. Phoenix WB UHF startup ch61 KASW quickly put a repeater on Mt. Elden. Unfortunately there is no local produced news anymore in Flagstaff. Gannett owned Phoenix NBC ch12 KPNX and purchased KNAZ. They ran it as a high powered satellite, except for the newscast for a few years then cut the local news. KKTM went thru numerous callsigns and owners and is now a Spanish Telefutura station.