Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United Airline
Topic Author

Lots Of Taiwanese In USA/Canada/Europe?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 am

Are they many Taiwanese in Europe especially Amsterdam? CI seems to be doing well in AMS.

What about USA? I suppose there are lots of Taiwanese in USA still especially Los Angeles and San Francisco? Seattle?

What about Vancouver, Canada?

PHX787

RE: Lots Of Taiwanese In USA/Canada/Europe?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:17 am

A bunch of buddies i knew in Arizona were taiwanese. Nicest dudes on the planet. I also knew a lot of girls in Arizona from Taiwan...dated one for a while.. I miss that girl  
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:01 am

Even in Arizona... Cool.

There must be a lot more in Amsterdam, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver etc? Los Angeles has the most I guess?

LO231

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:27 am

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):

CI is a small buiscuit, try Eva Airways, I think 70% of those pax get off in BKK, though.... Like I always do....
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

willzzz88

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:09 am

United Airline,

The Taiwanese carriers have a political problem because someone more familiar with Chinese politics can correct me if I'm wrong but EVA Air and China Airlines currently CANNOT overfly Mainland China airspace on the way to Europe like the European carriers can. KLM if I recall flies direct from Amsterdam to Taipei via Mainland China airspace towards Xiamen then over the Taiwan Straight to Taipei.

Since there is a huge European tourism demand to Bangkok and Taiwan tourism/business demand to Amsterdam (Many Taiwanese HQ for EMEA is in Amsterdam due to its central location and container port) they use Bangkok as a stopping point to fill the aircraft.

Finally CI and EVA did and still have some non-stops to Europe via the polar trans-Russian route avoiding Mainland China airspace via Japan (The flight is essentially LHR-NRT-TPE without the stops). This dramatically increases the time.

This is why for Europe and time-sensitive travelers the Taiwanese choose CX via HKG or the KLM flight. If you want to deal with PVG transit you can do Shanghai as well or a slightly longer non-stop flight via Japanese/Russian airspace.

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:06 am

So there are many Taiwanese in Amsterdam, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver etc?

CI is doing direct nonstop flights between Mainland China and Taiwan. I am surprised that they still have such restrictions.

Quoting LO231 (Reply 3):
CI is a small buiscuit, try Eva Airways, I think 70% of those pax get off in BKK, though.... Like I always do....

Why is that? Taiwanese do travel a lot I thought. So it's mainly for Europeans visiting Thailand?

doug_or

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:06 am

In my my limited experience on Taiwanese carriers they had a very high percent of transfer passengers. On my flight from ANC and SEA to TPE there were TONS of Filipinos. From Bali it was at least half Japanese passengers. Eva and CI seem to be pretty consistently competitive on price for intercontinental travel.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Aesma

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:18 am

I wouldn't say there are many Taiwanese in Europe, at least not in France. Taiwan is not really a popular tourist destination either (they're trying though). Now, Taiwan is the center of the world for high tech/electronics conception/production, so that explains a lot of air traffic.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:27 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 7):
I wouldn't say there are many Taiwanese in Europe, at least not in France. Taiwan is not really a popular tourist destination either (they're trying though). Now, Taiwan is the center of the world for high tech/electronics conception/production, so that explains a lot of air traffic.

Taiwanese don't travel much? I think they do.

Taiwan is a great place for vacation especially for Hong Kong people.

I think the largest Asian population in LA=Taiwanese?

hoons90

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:53 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 8):
I think the largest Asian population in LA=Taiwanese?

Filipino, followed by Korean.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:15 am

What about Taiwanese? Must be the largest CHINESE group then. Lots of Hong Kong people too I know.

Japanese?

Aesma

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 8):
Taiwanese don't travel much? I think they do.

I didn't say that, I was talking about Taiwanese LIVING here. In fact according to wikipedia they're about 11000 in France, similar numbers in other European countries. Compared to almost 1 million in the US.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Sorry I misunderstood. Thanks for the info