bmacleod
Topic Author

Author Tom Clancy Dead

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 pm

CNN reports Author Tom Clancy my all time favorite has died.

Best wishes to his family....
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

casinterest

RE: Author Tom Clancy Dead

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Red Storm Rising and Debt of Honor were two of my favorites books .
My condolences to the family.
Where ever you go, there you are.

zanl188

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:49 pm

RIP Mr Clancy

My favorite author without a doubt....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

FighterPilot

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Wow!
I'm not too big on reading, but his books were the few I've ever actually purchased and read. Mr. Clancy was my favourite author hands down.
We'll miss you.  

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

bmacleod
Topic Author

It was disappointing the film versions of Sum of All Fears and Clear and Present Danger were quite different than the book. I like both books better....

I really liked Debt of Honor...however it doesn't look like it will be translated into film....

Dreadnought

My favorite as well. Pity he sort of dried up and did not publish much new material in the past 15 years or so (apart from stuff he used ghost-writers for)
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Kiwirob

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Bugger has was a great author once upon a time, his last efforts were pretty awful and let down his earlier work.

What did he die of?

Klaus

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:40 pm

His books were good reading.

Rest in peace.

bmacleod
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:56 pm

I expect the upcoming Jack Ryan movie starring Chris Pine to pay tribute to Tom at the beginning...

"This film is dedicated to Tom Clancy 1947-2013"

par13del

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Red Storm Rising, one of the more comprehensive conflict books in my opinion.

RIP

Kiwirob

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 9):

Try find some books by a guy called Larry Bond, he had some very realistic novels. He also co wrote Red Storm Rising.

rfields5421

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:19 pm

I read The Hunt for Red October from the original Naval Institute press run. Unfortunately I had to borrow the book from a fellow sailor - so I don't own that first edition.

Overall, his books were excellent - though it was good to see him progress as a writer. The skill shown in HFRO did show an amateur author.

Unfortunately, he got into a new writer trap with his Jack Ryan character. He kept promoting him and eventually ran out of promotions.

I like some of his non-Jack Ryan books best - though I believe Clear and Present Danger was his 'best book'.

I will miss him - but I can pick up any of his 16 books that I own and remember him.

srbmod

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:33 pm

For a number of years, I read his books rather voraciously, but the last one I think I read was The Bear and The Dragon right after it came out in paperback. I tried to read Red Rabbit and The Teeth of the Tiger and couldn't even finish them, as by that point, the Jack Ryan universe was pretty stale and the rebooting of the series by having the son become the main character just didn't work for me.

I'm sure they'll find someone to pen new Jack Ryan novels just as they found someone to continue writing new Bourne novels after Robert Ludlum's death.

Quoting par13del (Reply 9):

That one is my favorite Tom Clancy novel and I think I've read it at least 4-5 times over the years.

par13del

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 10):
Try find some books by a guy called Larry Bond,

I actually only bought two of his books, Cauldron and Red Phoenix - still have Phoenix and read it occassionally - , however, I must admit to spending months playing Harpoon, thanks for reminding me.
Been working on setting up some virtual machines at home for some old Dos games, have to check my archives to see if I still have that game, I tend to keep some things.

fr8mech

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Red Storm Rising is one of the best books of the genre. Comprehensive.

I really enjoyed reading Clancy and have read most of the Jack Ryan universe books, along with Red Storm Rising several times. At this point, they make great mindless, poolside summer reading. Old friends. Just something to keep the mind occupied while the kids play.

I also enjoyed some of his non-fiction 'tours' of various military commands.

Unfortunately, he started reaching after The Bear and the Dragon. Red Rabbit wasn't palatable at any level.

May he rest in peace and his family find comfort where they can.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

EA CO AS

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Rest in Peace Mr. Clancy, and thank you for your excellent work.

My favorites are definitely Executive Orders and Red Storm Rising. We could use a Jack Ryan in the White House right about now.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

allrite

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Like many others I enjoyed Clancy's earlier books, especially Red Storm Rising (you could tell Larry Bond's influence in that one if you read some of Bond's other works).

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 10):
Try find some books by a guy called Larry Bond, he had some very realistic novels. He also co wrote Red Storm Rising.

Some of Clancy's later works were just loathsome, and made him seem like a right wing Irish Catholic racist bigot. Eventually, I just gave up even trying to read them.

Edited to clarify author.

[Edited 2013-10-02 16:56:51]
I like artificial banana essence!

fridgmus

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:18 pm

Sitting down with a Tom Clancy novel is like sitting down with an old friend. I never tire of reading them. Rest in Peace Tom and we'll see you on the other side.   
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

doug_or

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:13 am

Quoting allrite (Reply 16):
and made him seem like a right wing Irish Catholic racist bigot. Eventually, I just gave up even trying to read them.

Nope, wasn't the books. He actually was one. I enjoyed reading his earlier books as a kid, they were some of my first "grown up books", but as I grew up and he got weird I kind of got over it.
When in doubt, one B pump off

11Bravo

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:43 am

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 18):
Nope, wasn't the books. He actually was one. I enjoyed reading his earlier books as a kid, they were some of my first "grown up books", but as I grew up and he got weird I kind of got over it.

It's interesting that others have a similar take on Clancy. His first four or five books are quite good. After that the books are progressively more and more political at their core. Jack Ryan and the rest become sort of weird right-wing nut Tea Party commandos. I think I might go back and read some of the early ones again.
WhaleJets Rule!

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:06 am

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 19):

It's interesting that others have a similar take on Clancy. His first four or five books are quite good. After that the books are progressively more and more political at their core.

I think that's really the best summation of the man's work. I actually just re-read Hunt for Red October a few months back. It's a great story that really doesn't get old. Same again with Red Storm Rising and Patriot Games. None of these stories were ever in danger of setting new literary standards, but then Die Hard didn't win any Oscars either. Some things are just plane fun and inventive and that's what I thought of his early work. He was pretty great before he got all political and made Presidenting the United States the Ryan family business (seriously, the last one I read totally reminded me of that episode of Futurama where Zoidberg meets his uncle)...

But by the time we get to Teeth of Tiger, yeah, I had to really push myself through that one. Haven't read anything from the newest series yet.

In any case, he was what, 67? That's really too bad. Never like to hear about folks checking out early. RIP Battleship Hat Guy.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

par13del

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 19):
It's interesting that others have a similar take on Clancy. His first four or five books are quite good. After that the books are progressively more and more political at their core.

Plus one.
I think as with all forms of entertainment, once they get mass appeal the authors be they written or digital movie folks take on the mantra that it is now a vehicle to deliver their political, economic and social views.
Unfortunately for them, most persons who turn to entertainment to relieve stress after a hard days work ultimately tire of the message and the shows get cancelled and the books are not bought.

Too many elections, political, social and media events abound for folks to want to get the same in their leisure entertainment hour, we all need a break sometime.

SOBHI51

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:15 pm

RIP Tom, i read all his books, a couple of years ago i bought all his books, wrote or co-wrote. I might go back and reread them, i liked his style.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Quoting allrite (Reply 16):
you could tell Larry Bond's influence in that one if you read some of Bond's other works

I think it's because most of the book is Larry's. It certainly reads more like Vortex than any other Clancy novel.

cjg225

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:55 am

The Hunt for the Red October is my favorite book and favorite movie. I've read the book probably 25 times and seen the movie probably 250 times.

I was very said to hear of Mr. Clancy's passing. I love his books, both fiction (Red Storm Rising and Cardinal of the Kremlin round out my top-3 favorites of his works) and non-fiction (Into the Storm is a phenomenal book that I really need to re-read sometime soon). He is my favorite author.

I know it's just two instances, but I perceive him to also have been good to his fans. I e-mailed him twice many years ago when I was younger and didn't know better. He replied both times very cordially to my questions.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Aaron747

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:29 am

Wow it really seems a lot of us are either big-time Clancy fans or at the very least familiar with his work. I also count [Hunt for Red October[/i] and Cardinal of the Kremlin among my first grown-up reads, and am glad someone mentioned the latter as its very well-written.

As with any writer, regardless of what he put on paper, the man had a right to his political views. At the end of the day, he provided a lot of us with great amusement and ensured fortune for his loved ones with all the film adaptations of his stories.

He stands with few peers as one of the pioneers of late 20th century techno-babble fiction. Hats off to ya Tom.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

sprout5199

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:00 am

RIP Mr Clancy.

I remember reading Red Storm Rising in 1987 when I was in the Navy. At the time, the Soviets were the threat. And one of the "ships" he wrote about was the USS Gallery FFG-26. She was stationed at Mayport same as my ship the USS Flatley FFG-21 so the detail/realism was right on. I pictured--knew every space and item he was talking about. Was nice to actually read about my type of ship, as it was a tin-can, not very sexy.

Dan in Jupiter

KaiGywer

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:17 am

Nobody else has mentioned it, but my favorite Tom Clancy book is "Rainbow Six". I still remember in 12th grade English class when we had to read a book a do a book review. When others picked books in the 100-200 page range, I picked a 740 page book  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Vio

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 27):
Nobody else has mentioned it, but my favorite Tom Clancy book is "Rainbow Six". I still remember in 12th grade English class when we had to read a book a do a book review. When others picked books in the 100-200 page range, I picked a 740 page book

I agree. My fav. Tom Clancy book, especially since I loved playing the game as well. Very very cool. R.I.P Tom Clancy!!!
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

cjg225

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 pm

Quoting sprout5199 (Reply 26):
I remember reading Red Storm Rising in 1987 when I was in the Navy. At the time, the Soviets were the threat. And one of the "ships" he wrote about was the USS Gallery FFG-26. She was stationed at Mayport same as my ship the USS Flatley FFG-21 so the detail/realism was right on. I pictured--knew every space and item he was talking about. Was nice to actually read about my type of ship, as it was a tin-can, not very sexy

His books are the reason why I have such a love of the Perry-Class.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

mandala499

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:56 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 23):
It certainly reads more like Vortex than any other Clancy novel.

I got both Vortex and Red Storm Rising, both are my favourite to date.

RIP Mr. Clancy.
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !