Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblast
Topic Author

Daytrips From London

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Hello all-

I will be on vacation in London next month staying in central London, but I will be on my own this trip. Anyone have any suggestions for daytrips outside London that are easily accessible from the city centre? Have done Windsor, Hampton Court etc in the past so I am looking for something new to try this time around.

Thanks

[Edited 2013-10-04 11:41:58]
Speedbird Concorde One

AF1624

RE: Daytrips From London

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Kew Gardens

The Fuller's brewery in Chiswick, definitely worth a visit, really recommend it

The southern coast (Brighton)

Pretty much every big city by train accessible at relatively reasonable price (Cambridge, Bristol, etc.)

There's so many things! What kind of stuff would you like to see?
Cheers

jetblast
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:56 pm

I have done Kew Gardens however you have reminded me I want to go back when the foliage has changed colour so thank you 

I do also work for a certain LHR-based air carrier so I'm not opposed to taking a short flight to another city within the UK either, I do somewhat want to go to MAN if the spotters' park is accessible from the terminal.
Speedbird Concorde One

OA260

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Portsmouth is very historic and a nice place to spend a day. Very easy on the train from London too. The Mary Rose museum is there . ( If that is of interest ) .

AirPacific747

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:23 pm

The city of Bath is really nice with the Roman baths. Definitely worth a visit if you have time.

IH8BY

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Oxford and Cambridge are both an easy trip from London - from T5 you can get a direct bus to Oxford which, whilst not cheap (£24 return), should get you there in under an hour and a half - usually less. Walk through the town centre, visit a college or two (Christ Church is impressive but the smaller colleges are more intimate), grab a spot of lunch (plenty of independent restaurants if you know where to look), then browse the excellent Ashmolean Museum. Stop for a drink in one of its older pubs and watch postgraduates getting lost in their own intellect over a pint. Just don't go on a Saturday, as it's unpleasantly busy.

Taken as a whole, Cambridge is prettier (or rather, less marred by insensitive development), but Oxford's easier from LHR and the nice bits are still very picturesque.

Stratford (home of Shakespeare) and Warwick (for its castle) are other potential trips out. Warwick can be reached by direct train from London Marylebone and Stratford's not far off.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

idealstandard

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Would recommend Oxford (accessible from London Paddington), Stratford upon Avon (Marylebone I believe)

Some really lovely places to visit within 90 minutes on the train. I think Bristol is about 2:30 from Paddington also.

rwy04lga

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Take the train to Cambridge and then a bus to Duxford Imperial War Museum. LOTS of great planes to see. My favorite among them was Super VC-10 G-ASGC. Also a Trident, Brittania, and Concorde. The American wing has a B-52 and SR-71, among many others. An easy day-trip not far from London.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

fca767

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Quoting jetblast (Thread starter):

Hello all-

I will be on vacation in London next month staying in central London, but I will be on my own this trip. Anyone have any suggestions for daytrips outside London that are easily accessible from the city centre? Have done Windsor, Hampton Court etc in the past so I am looking for something new to try this time around.

Manchester is only 2 hours 10 minutes away on the virgin train, 120MPH  

IH8BY

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 7):
Take the train to Cambridge and then a bus to Duxford Imperial War Museum. LOTS of great planes to see. My favorite among them was Super VC-10 G-ASGC. Also a Trident, Brittania, and Concorde. The American wing has a B-52 and SR-71, among many others. An easy day-trip not far from London.

Agreed - a good day out indeed. You usually have to pay a little (and I mean a little) extra to get into to the Classic British Airliners (when open), but it's well worth it to get the idea of what it was like to travel on aircraft from the Avro York through to the Trident.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

TupolevTu154

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:42 pm

If Duxford's a little too far out, Brooklands is alot closer to London and you can get on board the Omani VC10 that's kept there (VERY cool to see inside) and a tour around a beautifully restored Concorde.

jetblast
Topic Author

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:27 am

Thanks to all for the suggestions - I do think I'm going to try Duxford, Oxford/Cambridge, and possibly Brooklands if I can manage it. Bath is also on the bucket list so if I don't get around to it on this go I will give it a shot next time.
Speedbird Concorde One

ferengi80

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Quoting jetblast (Reply 2):
I do somewhat want to go to MAN if the spotters' park is accessible from the terminal.

It's not accessible directly from the terminal, but is just short bus ride away from bus station. The bus station is easily accessible, next to the train station which is accessible from the walkway between terminals 1 and 2.

Alternatively there is a the Airport Hotel which is a short walk from Terminal 1. You can't see all of the action from here, but the hotel is at the end of runway 05L/23R.

Manchester itself would be worth a visit, and I would really recommend a visit to Liverpool. Although there are no direct flights between LHR and LPL, you can get a train from London Euston in to Liverpool Lime Street which takes a little over 2 hours. The Beatles Story at the Albert Dock is particularly worth a visit, and if you take the ferry from Pier Head over to Woodside Ferry Terminal, I can recommend a trip to the U Boat Story (http://www.u-boatstory.co.uk/), which is just passed the Ferry Terminal.

Hope this helps!

Ferengi80
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010

Bongodog1964

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Apart from Duxford, the colleges in Cambridge, particularly Kings College chapel are worthy of a visit, and just outside Cambridge at Madingley is the US military cemetery with around 5000 WW2 graves, presently however the federal shutdown has resulted in it being closed.

wingman

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Hey guys,

On this same topic, my wife and I are planning a week long trip to Wales and Scotland in February and our thought was to stop in Oxford the first night. From there no real plans except to B&B for 3 additional nights around Wales and then train it to Edinburgh for another 3 nights before heading back.

Would welcome any suggestions for towns not to be missed in Wales and any particular sights around Edinburgh). Thanks.

OA260

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 14):
Would welcome any suggestions for towns not to be missed in Wales

I love North Wales. Just some sights and places to visit.

http://www.nwt.co.uk

http://www.talyllyn.co.uk

http://dolgellau.eu

http://www.haloshop.co.uk

http://www.corriscraftcentre.co.uk

http://www.kingarthurslabyrinth.co.uk

rwy04lga

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:48 am

Well, in Edinburgh....The Castle, of course. Be on Princes (NOT 'Princess') Street at 1300 and see everybody check their watches at the sound of the '1 o'clock gun'. The attending gardens are nice. Climb up the Sir Walter Scott monument for terrific views. Cramond is nice. Queensferry has good views of the Forth Bridges. Uncle Kenny, did I miss anything?
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

kiwiinoz

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:18 am

Bath is a great day trip. I also liked Stratford, particularly if yuo like a bit of Shakespeare history. THere is also a good falconry there.

wingman

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the pointers. Been to London a thousand times but never got the chance to explore beyond southern England. I have to say I'm pretty chuffed about necking some pints down at the local at the height of the EPL season. Christ, I sound like a Yank Wanker already.

AF1624

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Oh Cheltenham is a pretty town in the Cotswolds as well if you feel like a good stroll close to the countryside. Two hours by train from Paddington.
Cheers

Revelation

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:07 am

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 7):
Take the train to Cambridge and then a bus to Duxford Imperial War Museum.

Or RAF Museum Hendon is a tube ride away. Mind you it's in the outer zone so make sure you purchase the right tickets or a bobbie will gently but firmly hit you up for the difference plus a stiff penalty. I think the penalty was ten pounds back in the 90s when I learned the hard way that the local gendarme has no sense of humor when it comes to tourists not knowing the intricacies of tube fares.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

A320ajm

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Crawley is only 45 mins out of London. Highlights include:
- typical ugly new town architecture
- meet some local, lovely Crawleyites (the name for the local people!)
- a massive industrial estate
- 2 impressive roundabouts; one that is a square and the other you are forced to drive around the wrong way.

In all seriousness, what about the South Coast e.g. Brighton, Seven Sisters etc. Some nice towns in West Suusex and Surrey such as Horsham and Dorking too.

A320ajm

P.s. I apologise for the Crawley rant and if it has offended anyone - just sick of living there!
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

YVRLTN

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:19 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 13):
Apart from Duxford, the colleges in Cambridge,

Another vote for Duxford & Cambridge

Quoting Revelation (Reply 20):
Or RAF Museum Hendon

Another good choice - its also free admission and they have some pretty rare birds there too, including a Stuka and Fiat CR42 and a wonderful selection of pretty rare British types along with some vehicles too.

Quoting a320ajm (Reply 21):

Not to mention a semi major airport  

I like Kent. White cliffs of Dover, Broadstairs, Canterbury, the Isle of Thanet in general is all a nice area.

Another city I like and great for ancient history buffs is St Albans a short ride out of St Pancras, some original Roman remains and a lot of history through the middle ages. Need a car, but spotting at LTN is also great if you like bizjets, guaranteed to see something exotic. You can get the train two stops to Luton Parkway on from St Albans and hire your car there.

Quoting wingman (Reply 14):
Edinburgh for another 3 nights before heading back.

You can get a train to St Andrews, but would recommend hiring a car and checking out the Fife coastal villages, some amazing pubs with equally amazing fish n chips and food in general and ales & scenery. Check out a whisky distillery too (make sure the wife is the DD so you can enjoy the trip haha!). Will be blustery in Feb though, bundle up.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

TupolevTu154

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:14 pm

P.s. I apologise for the Crawley rant and if it has offended anyone - just sick of living there!

I like how you name your location as Maidenbower instead of Crawley   And please, continue the rant! I grew up and still (sorta) live in Horsham, so naturally there was a bit of Horsham/Crawley rivalry going on anyway.

Personally I detest Crawley, if anything I thought your rant wasn't harsh enough 
one that is a square and the other you are forced to drive around the wrong way

The only two stupid roundabouts I can think of are Hazelwick and Tushmore, where are these that you mention?

Being from Maidenbower, I assume you frequent the Frogsole pub?

Bongodog1964

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 20):
Or RAF Museum Hendon is a tube ride away. Mind you it's in the outer zone so make sure you purchase the right tickets or a bobbie will gently but firmly hit you up for the difference plus a stiff penalty. I think the penalty was ten pounds back in the 90s when I learned the hard way that the local gendarme has no sense of humor when it comes to tourists not knowing the intricacies of tube fares

The police would never abandon their bacon rolls and cups of tea to apprehend a fare dodger. This is left to officious people who dress up to look like policemen. The police have been known to have a sense of humour (in their own eyes anyway) the people who enforce bus and train tickets never.

- typical ugly new town architecture

I once booked a holiday parking deal that offered one night at a hotel, two weeks parking and a shuttle bus to LGW. On the return route they took us via Crawley Town Centre. Suddenly waking up at 4 am and travelling round the M25 before dawn to get to LGW seemed like a good idea.

A320ajm

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 23):

Haha! I used to live in Maidenbower but now moved to Three Bridges right next to the square-about! I'll update my current location to Three Bridges - certainly not Crawley! The other roundabout I mentioned is within the new build flats/houses just up from the square-about, near the little Tescos (think it's called Commonwealth Drive or something!) Crawley also got voted the 17th worst place to live in the UK 2013!!

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 24):

I genuinely feel sorry for you :p my sincere condolences.
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

babybus

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:52 am

I presume you are coming in November. It's going to be cold, dark and rainy.

Is there any need to day trip out of London? I've lived in London all my life and there are still loads of things I have yet to see.

So it all depends on your interests. What's your idea of an ideal day?

If you haven't been to Hampton Court Palace yet that's well worth a visit. You can spend a whole day there and still not see everything. Tickets for West End shows are coming down.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.