Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

doug_or

RE: What Has Happened To A.net?

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 135):
Quoting mdsh00 (Reply 135):
Skidmarks

Another blast from the past.

That could perhaps have been worded better.
When in doubt, one B pump off

zckls04

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 149):
I think that get's a free pass.

The international gay mafia will take care of that!  
Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 133):
I think the site has just had to become more PC in fear of legal action.

I think that's unlikely (I guess only the mods can answer that); but I suspect it's more just that the number of users has grown so much that there's more likelihood of a certain post getting deletion requests because it offends someone. Perhaps the solution is to up the threshold of deletion requests which result in automatic deletion? What is this currently set at? Does anybody know?

Often the most entertaining posters are very volatile and passionate types with a very specific point of view about something. However they also have the greatest potential to become boring and repetitive. I wonder if some of these posters that people wax lyrical about would be remembered as fondly if they had been posting the same stuff every day for ten years.
Four Granavox Turbines!

garnetpalmetto

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Quoting texdravid (Reply 103):

Back in the day, conservatives like me were subject to arbitrary warnings and threats of suspensions while liberals were allowed carte Blanche to spew venom.

I don't for one minute miss N1120a, Falcon84, Jaysit, ANCflyer or others. A cabal of virulent posters who couldn't take it when you fought back.

Throwing Pep into that cabal is absolutely hilarious. Pep is about as liberal as Sarah Palin (although not quite as sexy...damn him for wearing that ballcap!) And N1120a is easily one of the nicest guys I've ever talked to and a knowledgeable member of the bar. Just be factually accurate, know what you're talking about, and don't display any bigotry and all's well with him.

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 132):

Surprised you mentioned him. He was about as conservative as it gets.

Exactly. There are a few more conservative than he but Pep is a proud conservative

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 96):
Not sure what happened to either of them.

I know KROC has had more demands on his time by two mini-KROCs. Now there's a scary thought!  

The person I personally miss the most is my old Mod mentor, IHadAPheo. Although speaking of former mods, anybody know what ever became of Diamond?

[Edited 2013-10-10 09:14:27]
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

N1120A

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:17 pm

After nearly 10 years, this thread causes a lot of reflection. A.net was a major center of my life from around mid-2004 through 2007, or so. To the point that a few of us had a meeting with a DM exec in the early days to try and save some vital things (the idea to keep site related, but to lock it to unregistered users, happened at that meeting). While its not nearly the same now, for all kinds of reasons, the friendships I've forged are lifetime ones. ConcordeBoy, Avek00 and I talk every single day. I've gone to an A.net wedding. I still meet up with members all the time from all over the world. And, of course, garnettpalmetto has a man crush on me  .

Now, about those rust buckets United sold to Air India  
Quoting gkirk (Thread starter):

You, for one, gained a bit of weight. Of course, so did I  
Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 25):
I do miss Kaz. Anyone know what became of her?

She's still kicking around. I'm surprised you aren't friends with her on FB.

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 52):
Pep is no longer arresting polar bears, believe it or not

Yeah, he was cooking them for a while. Now he's a pencil pusher somewhere, while still collecting like 4 pensions, that government loving leach  
Quoting type-rated (Reply 68):
If I remember correctly his father paid for everything for him.

Mother, actually. Piotr is actually a fantastic, generous guy in person. Was always a bit of an internet tough guy, but a lovely person away from they keyboard. He was working for FL and now works for WN.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 73):

Quoting gkirk (Reply 4):
He's still in jail I believe...

Jesus what did he do?!

He liked little kids.

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 96):
KROC and LHMark were kept non-av quite alive with the knock out picture. Not sure what happened to either of them.

No clue with LHMark, but KROC married far better than he should have and has two of the cutest kids ever now.

Back in the day, conservatives like me were subject to arbitrary warnings and threats of suspensions while liberals were allowed carte Blanche to spew venom.

Klaus is right - I think you have a slightly skewed memory.

While Mendis and I had our run ins, I called him out on his behavior (anti-south Indian and anti-conservative views) and he actually wrote back on airliners-India and apologized for his behavior. So, kudos to Mendis and best of luck to him.

LOL. Anti-conservative? You don't know him very well.

Anyway, Sean is (and no embelishment here) running the airport in Mogadishu, of all places.

I don't for one minute miss N1120a, Falcon84, Jaysit, ANCflyer or others. A cabal of virulent posters who couldn't take it when you fought back.

Some things never change.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 104):
Your memory is a bit skewed as well, it appears.

Aye

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 112):
Snowglobes

I'm shocked it took so long to bring that up.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 121):

Nice trip report

Great pictures.

Thank you for sharing

B747forever

I agree, although I think I've seen him around lately... a shell of his former self.

More like having a grown up job.

ANCflyer

Surprised you mentioned him. He was about as conservative as it gets.

Conservative, but never a fool.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 140):
Nope.
Even those are now considered offensive.

FINALLY!  
Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 152):
And N1120a is easily one of the nicest guys I've ever talked to and a knowledgeable member of the bar. Just be factually accurate, know what you're talking about, and don't display any bigotry and all's well with him.

Awwwwwwww, so nice Justin, thanks buddy!

Exactly. There are a few more conservative than he but Pep is a proud conservative

Pep is the kind of conservative I like - an actual one, who doesn't tell people how to live their lives.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

garnetpalmetto

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 153):

She's still kicking around. I'm surprised you aren't friends with her on FB.

Merci beaucoup! Friend requested her.

Yeah, he was cooking them for a while. Now he's a pencil pusher somewhere, while still collecting like 4 pensions, that government loving leach

I swear, my tax dollars go to support that welfare queen? I'm SO writing to my former Congressman in favor of the government shutdown now!

but KROC married far better than he should have and has two of the cutest kids ever now.

They are cute, but given they have Mike's DNA we can expect the inevitable descent into hooliganism any day now. At least they'll be raised right and will understand soccer is the worst sport ever invented.

Anyway, Sean is (and no embelishment here) running the airport in Mogadishu, of all places.

I fully expect Mendis to take over Somalia and declare it "The Mendis Republic of Airwhiners.net" any day now and grant diplomatic immunity to any/all former Airwhiners mods.

Awwwwwwww, so nice Justin, thanks buddy!

You're welcome. Where's my check?

Pep is the kind of conservative I like - an actual one, who doesn't tell people how to live their lives.

Amen to that.

It's funny - when my wife and I were getting ready to move last month, we came across an old piece of a.net crew swag I had and it really got me thinking about the friendships I made. I don't post here nearly as frequently as I used to (not wanting to overstay my welcome and all that) but I do find myself thinking about some of the old hands around here when I joined. Holy hell, has it really been 10 years?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

desertjets

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:48 pm

I find it funny that TexDrDavid would lump ANCFlyer in with some of our more liberal a.netters. More an Eisenhower or Nixon style conservative than anything we see today. One thing I remember, and highly respect about him, was his general position on gay rights and DADT specifically. I recall him i on several occasions talking about how he personally protected soldiers under his command that he knew were homosexual because he knew they were good soldiers and that DADT was a crappy policy.

In retrospect there were probably just as many politically oriented discussions back then. But non-av was considerably more active -- by a significant margin, that the other stuff simply could drown out the folks that wanted to talk politics.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Revelation

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:25 pm

I've gone to an A.net wedding.

Oh, who were the lucky guys?  
Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 154):
I fully expect Mendis to take over Somalia and declare it "The Mendis Republic of Airwhiners.net"

Or "Mendistan" for short?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

carmenlu15

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:21 pm

the friendships I've forged are lifetime ones

Haven't had the chance to meet anyone in person, believe it or not (though that will hopefully change soon). But there are several people in the aviation community I can honestly call my friends, and at least one that knows me better than many of my offline friends.  

You, for one, gained a bit of weight. Of course, so did I

Weight doesn't bother me as much... I myself am more troubled by the fact I'm no longer in my 20's   

I know, right! And he has even switched hats  
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

PHLBOS

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 112):
Snowglobes

I'm shocked it took so long to bring that up.

If the reference is what I think it is; it actually was mentioned earlier in this thread:

Quoting srbmod (Reply 37):
Who can forget such classics as:

Friend Flying FL FLL-ATL Friday. (by FLAIRPORT Feb 17 2005 in Non Aviation)

Note: you'll have to go to the original post to read the old thread.

[Edited 2013-10-10 11:36:51]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Marcus

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:34 pm

OK so if I decided to start an "October 2013 would you hit it" thread it would be deleted? really?
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

Superfly

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:48 pm

the friendships I've forged are lifetime ones.

Same here.

Quoting desertjets (Reply 155):
In retrospect there were probably just as many politically oriented discussions back then. But non-av was considerably more active -- by a significant margin, that the other stuff simply could drown out the folks that wanted to talk politics.

Very true. There was also the multiple 'coming out of the closet' threads.

Quoting Marcus (Reply 159):
OK so if I decided to start an "October 2013 would you hit it" thread it would be deleted? really?

Yep.  
Bring back the Concorde

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:57 pm

anybody know what ever became of Diamond?

I've wondered the same. Had a few interesting discussions with him through PM.

I know KROC has had more demands on his time by two mini-KROCs. Now there's a scary thought!

Speaking of KROC, I haven't heard from AA51Hvy in a long time either (KROC and AA51 are lumped together in my mind). Actually met AA51 at an LAX meet a few years ago (along with Matt D, Saxdiva, DXing, Nicksair, and probably a few others who aren't really around anymore.....and of course, Superfly too).

Also keep meaning to find Logan22L / Castleisland on Facebook. One of these days.

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 157):
I myself am more troubled by the fact I'm no longer in my 20's

Seriously. I was upset when I had to change my age bracket from 21-25 to 26-35. And it's been 5 years since I did that.....
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DIJKKIJK

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Does anyone know where JGPH1A is? Why doesn't he visit the forum anymore?

That guy was funny!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Jetsgo

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 161):
AA51Hvy

Not to nitpick, but wasn't it AA61Hvy? I liked him and you're right, him, KROC, and LHMark were a total trio back in the day.

Saxdiva, DXing, Nicksair

Wow there are some names. What ever happened with DXing? He lasted quite a bit longer than most others in this thread.

Anyone remember or keep in contact with NeilYYZ? I met up with him once in Windsor, ON. Nice guy.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 163):
Not to nitpick, but wasn't it AA61Hvy?

Eh, 51, 61 who cares, their new livery sucks anyway.

Yes you are correct, though.  
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

N1120A

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Also keep meaning to find Logan22L / Castleisland on Facebook. One of these days.

He's on FB, but really inactive. His wife, who he only got to meet because DL021 and I are social butterflies (I'm sure Ian loves being called a butterfly), is more active.

Speaking of KROC, I haven't heard from AA51Hvy in a long time either (KROC and AA51 are lumped together in my mind). Actually met AA51 at an LAX meet a few years ago (along with Matt D, Saxdiva, DXing, Nicksair, and probably a few others who aren't really around anymore.....and of course, Superfly too).

I was there too. That was fun.

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 163):
Wow there are some names. What ever happened with DXing? He lasted quite a bit longer than most others in this thread.

DXing, aka Gilligan, aka RJDXer, is still around. We see each other every year or so, and text/call from time to time.

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 165):
He's on FB, but really inactive. His wife, who he only got to meet because DL021 and I are social butterflies (I'm sure Ian loves being called a butterfly), is more active.

Ah yes, so I've heard. I met his wife back at the BOS meet as well, so maybe I'll message her.

I was there too. That was fun.

Sorry, bad memory here. Wasn't Aerobalance at that meet too?

DXing, aka Gilligan, aka RJDXer

Thank you - I was trying to remember his previous screennames, but couldn't!

Another who hasn't been around much for a couple years is KevinL1011. Met him at a Jeff Beck concert a few years ago.

B747forever

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:54 pm

I have to admit, I've seen you posting for a while now and kept telling myself I must be crazy because I thought you posted like that, but it's been a while right?

Yeah, have slowed down on my posting considerably. I am more of a reader nowadays.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 121):

Nice trip report

Great pictures.

Thank you for sharing

B747forever

Starting too feel that my post count is a tad low. Might start to comment on some trip reports again  
Work Hard, Fly Right
Flown: 1086 flights/307 airports/190 airlines

HT

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:01 pm

A couple of users mentioned in recent replies have found another "home" on a different aviation website. A website whose name used to be a no-no here resulting in post deletions.

What also almost completely is gone these days are "A.net Meetings" of the older, wild style.
Other websites (or to be more precise: "The people on other websites") still are able to organize & hold aviation-dedicated Meetings. Thankfully I have been able to join a few of these meetings recently.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

MD11Engineer

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Almost ten years in here for me, too. What was the handle of our resident Jesuit brother? Even though I don´t believe in religion, I respected him very much. And I defintely miss the old crew. It used to be a lot more livedly in here, though maybe not as much suited for 12 year olds.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

carmenlu15

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Seriously. I was upset when I had to change my age bracket from 21-25 to 26-35.

Yeah, that one bothered me as well.   

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 162):
Does anyone know where JGPH1A is?

Probably on a plane to 'Dull Ass' (in his own words) -- that's all he seems to be doing nowadays  
Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 162):
That guy was funny!

Indeed! As I said:

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 38):
I for one still get a kick out of reading JGPH1A's delusions of grandeur musings on Facebook
Quoting HT (Reply 168):
Thankfully I have been able to join a few of these meetings recently.

Have you checked the one currently on the works?   
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

carmenlu15

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 169):
What was the handle of our resident Jesuit brother?

Ctbarnes, I think? Wonder what he is up to as well...

PHLBOS

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 168):
A couple of users mentioned in recent replies have found another "home" on a different aviation website

There are some more locally-centered aviation websites out there based on geographic location and attract more local traffic. Additionally, some aviation geeks have other hobbies (examples: cars & roads) and are on other sites/forums that tailor to such.

Competition isn't just between other aviation-themed websites but between other-forum websites, period; never mind Facebook, Twitter, etc.(which were mentioned earlier).

Quoting HT (Reply 168):
What also almost completely is gone these days are "A.net Meetings"

At least in the U.S., that has probably been the biggest change I've seen in my 9-1/2 years here. There used to be more meets/gatherings scheduled or posted. I was actually able to attend a few of them. Some were full-blown, planned out events; others involved simply attending an airline show.

Quoting HT (Reply 168):
(or to be more precise: "The people on other websites") still are able to organize & hold aviation-dedicated Meetings.

I think the biggest issue regarding meets both A.net-based & otherwise is planning & logistics. One or two key people are usually needed to take the bull-by-the-horns, if you will, and actually do the legwork in setting the event up. In my experiences, many want to attend the event; but very few want to actually plan and coordinate such.

There's also been a few times where some meets got abruptly cancelled and such cancellations took place after long-distance attendees had already booked their airline and hotel reservations (a financial Ouch! for most people). Such leaving a bad taste in one's mouth would be an understatement.

What's happened over the years is that the majority meet planners and organizers have since left and there hasn't been many newer users rising to the occassion as reinforcements/replacements.

[Edited 2013-10-10 14:56:53]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Klaus

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 171):

Ah, right, indeed.

Jetsgo

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 pm

What about FlyDeltaJets87? He and Fly2HMO disappeared around the same time, both banned I believe.

EGGD

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:56 pm

I read through a couple of the old classic threads. The banter here was quality, especially as the subject material was so good to begin with (FLAIRPORT was my personal favourite). I was only a kid when all this was happening, devastated this place has lost it's bite. I salute you Mr Kirk even though your jockish diatribe sends me to sleep, you have dusted some of the cobwebs off this place!

Lots of old names and faces here as well, good to see lots of you haven't kicked the bucket yet

Big Love

Dan

PHLBOS

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 174):
What about FlyDeltaJets87?

I believe Phil's in the Air Force now.

PSA53

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:07 pm

What year is this? You woke me to sign gkirk thread guest book.Crap. Testing one,two,three...(lol)

I see a lot of folks that I haven't seen post in awhile.

BTW- For Rush fans like me, The new live concert blu-ray comes out in the middle of November.Later!

Welcome back.gkirk!
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

N1120A

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:34 pm

Whatever happened to that Diamond guy anyway?   

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 172):
Competition isn't just between other aviation-themed websites but between other-forum websites, period; never mind Facebook, Twitter, etc.(which were mentioned earlier).

Facebook is a huge one, when it comes to the people from the time Kirkie was referring to. I'm connected to much of the core of that era on FB, which allows a different kind of communication to what we had/have here.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 166):
Sorry, bad memory here. Wasn't Aerobalance at that meet too?

I do believe Tony was. He comes to most of those things. He was also at the meeting that saved Site Related.

TheRedBaron

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:37 pm

This thread got me sad, how come most oldtimers have RR of 10 upwards and I still hang at 4 !!! ..... LOL

Marcus start the thread I will be your wingman....

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Jetsgo

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:03 am

Wasn't Aerobalance that guy who always posted in that incredibly complex word/sentence structure to the point it was more "wordy" than actual substance? I seem to remember it annoying quite a few people. Maybe I'm wrong.

TechOps isn't the same without tdscanuck, that's for sure. His last post was over 8 months ago. I hope he wasn't chased off by armchair CEO's and mechanics??

[Edited 2013-10-10 17:04:02]

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:23 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 178):
Whatever happened to that Diamond guy anyway?

There something I'm missing here?

(there usually is)

I do believe Tony was. He comes to most of those things. He was also at the meeting that saved Site Related.

I'd never even heard of that meeting until this thread. Very interesting.

Facebook is a huge one, when it comes to the people from the time Kirkie was referring to. I'm connected to much of the core of that era on FB, which allows a different kind of communication to what we had/have here.

Unfortunately for me, my Facebook usage has gone down by orders of magnitude since 2005 when I joined. Now, it's maybe twice a month that I go on there.

texan

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:50 am

I do miss the debates and put downs from the old guard--KROC, LHMark, Pep, and the like. Non-av and the characters who post in it have changed so much that I hardly recognise it anymore. And, like many on here have said, the people I've met through here through the years are just great. And I, too, will defend N1120A--despite his poor choice in sports teams--as one of the nicest and most fun people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 37):
Who can forget such classics as:

Friend Flying FL FLL-ATL Friday.

Oh God *hangs head*

I've just read that whole thread through, but at least I now know where the snow globes thing comes from!

I think that the thread might have been moderated, or maybe I just missed something, but did he actually call AirTran?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Bernard Shakey

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:15 am

I stopped enjoying the forums on this site a few years back so I took my witty brand of genius elsewhere and have merely been a lurker ever since.

I did meet KROC in person during the summer of 2000.
Mindless drifter on the road, Carries such an easy load

tz757300

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:55 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 24):
The internet was still younger, A.net was running on the server in Johan's basement (or was it college dorm?) and we all had a hell of a lot of fun.

Luckily, I still have a picture of the early beginnings of a.net saved from a looooong time ago. This may be post dorm room storage.

Where it all started.

I couldn't imagine if the site today was being run off the same platform. Maybe the switch was a bit beneficial to the site.

Confuscius

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:35 am

Then there's EGGD, the middle age teenager on a.net.  

He's now an ordained priest.
Ain't I a stinker?

KaiGywer

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:45 am

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 52):
Now that's a flashback from my time in the crew... *shudder*

Ah yes. Those were the real behind the scenes fun of this place...lol.

I still remember when I made a.net history for being the first crew member to be straight up deleted by a certain feline themed head crew member. Then being reinstated by Henrik a few days later. Then managing to get 30 days in the corner a month after that. Ah yes, the good old times.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

seb146

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:03 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 148):
She is clearly partisan and she does of course select the issues she's talking about, but when it is about factual claims, she is quite diligent in attributing sources and qualifying the probable reliability of sources.

Even knowing a poll is skewed, I would rather see "XXX poll says...." rather than "a source says..." even though I know it is still skewed.

old Mod mentor, IHadAPheo

I liked that guy! He was another one that put a smile on my face when I saw his name!

that has probably been the biggest change I've seen in my 9-1/2 years here. There used to be more meets/gatherings scheduled or posted.

I met one... exactly one... member the whole time I have been on a.net. Nice guy even though we didn't see eye to eye on political issues.

When I lived in Seattle 1999-2001, my ex at the time, was "playing" with an a.net member in our same town.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Superfly

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:11 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 186):
He's now an ordained priest.

Me Ctbarnes and Confuscius met up about 4 or 5 years ago in Berkeley.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 177):
BTW- For Rush fans like me, The new live concert blu-ray comes out in the middle of November.Later!

Thanks for the heads up!
Let's see if we can get KevinL1011 to hang out and watch that DVD.

Actually met AA51 at an LAX meet a few years ago (along with Matt D, Saxdiva, DXing, Nicksair, and probably a few others who aren't really around anymore.....and of course, Superfly too).

I ended up jamming with Aerobalance's band on that trip. I think we invited you to come down and jam but you had a another event to attend.
Bring back the Concorde

carmenlu15

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:21 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 187):
I still remember when I made a.net history for being the first crew member to be straight up deleted by a certain feline themed head crew member. Then being reinstated by Henrik a few days later. Then managing to get 30 days in the corner a month after that. Ah yes, the good old times.

And the support parties... holy shit, I can't believe it's been 6-7 years since.

garnetpalmetto

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:40 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 187):

Thus setting a precedent for semi-arbitrary firings! I feel your pain, Kai. A certain carbon themed head mod gave me the axe because I wasn't active enough - while I was gone for a month in the Czech Republic without a reliable internet connection and because I wasn't deleting enough. Oh and for not always agreeing with him. Funny, whatever happened to that guy?

sudden

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:53 pm

I posted earlier today in this thread
Will A.net Return To Its Former Glory? (by LFutia Oct 10 2013 in Non Aviation)
and I stick to my point made there. Still reading trip reports and looking at some photo's now and then. That's about it.
For the rest Demand Media did an excellent job ruining something that worked pretty well before they got their hands on the site.
Do I lay awake about it, no. Do I find it a shame, yes.
When in doubt, flat out!

Revelation

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 189):
Quoting PSA53 (Reply 177):

Thanks for the heads up!
Let's see if we can get KevinL1011 to hang out and watch that DVD.

Hmm might be the trigger for me finally getting a blue-ray player!  
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

carmenlu15

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 191):
A certain carbon themed head mod gave me the axe because I wasn't active enough - while I was gone for a month in the Czech Republic without a reliable internet connection and because I wasn't deleting enough. Oh and for not always agreeing with him.

Seriously?!    Well, then again, I was relieved of my duties due to inactivity as well...

I was checking the crew page the other day, and I found it funny that I still see some familiar names among the screeners and editors, yet there's pretty much no one left in the mod and support crews from that time.

Sigh... guess I'm the only one insane enough to keep playing forum police   (elsewhere, mind you!)

HT

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 170):

The itinerary of the ZRH-meeting this weekend did not suit my taste. Too late in the year for photography. Tour of SR Technics (or whatever their current name is) with photography forbidden (we had been able to shoot most objects except one certain airplane when I had organized the same tour for an A.net Meeting a few years ago).

I think the biggest issue regarding meets both A.net-based & otherwise is planning & logistics. One or two key people are usually needed to take the bull-by-the-horns, if you will, and actually do the legwork in setting the event up. In my experiences, many want to attend the event; but very few want to actually plan and coordinate such.

There's also been a few times where some meets got abruptly cancelled and such cancellations took place after long-distance attendees had already booked their airline and hotel reservations (a financial Ouch! for most people). Such leaving a bad taste in one's mouth would be an understatement.

I know.
I was the organizer of the Tokyo-Meeting in 2011 that got canceled on short notice after the Tsunami had struck the country (and TEPCO's nuclear plant at Fukushima).
I was lucky that my longdistance flight was booked to ICN and not to Japan, so I was able to change the return date for a fee and spend a week exploring South Korea.
Flights I had booked from South Korea to Japan, and a number of domestic flights in Japan became no-shows as they could not be canceled.
In the end my financial loss (money paid for flights I could not take) was in the 4-digit range, in Euro it is, not US$.

And one of the A.net meetings I had organized at ZRH was another mid-sized financial disaster.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

fraspotter

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:33 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 87):
Quoting melpax (Reply 76):
Wonder whatever happened to that kid from Orlando - can't remember his username (Hunter?)

Wasn't that the kid who flew an airplane into a building in Orlando or Tampa? I remember he was an a.netter.
Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 89):
From what I've read in prior threads, that kid was indeed an A.netter but that was before my time on here so I don't know his username.

I remember back when it initially happened Johan posted a thread about the connection between Charles Bishop and a.net. I guess the guy had upwards of 10 different usernames which I believe have all been deactivated since then.

Cessna Skyscraper Crash - Pilot Was Member (by Administrator Jan 8 2002 in Civil Aviation)

carmenlu15

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Speaking of long time a.netters -- whatever happened with ScarletHarlot?

Quoting HT (Reply 195):
Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 170):

The itinerary of the ZRH-meeting this weekend did not suit my taste. Too late in the year for photography. Tour of SR Technics (or whatever their current name is) with photography forbidden (we had been able to shoot most objects except one certain airplane when I had organized the same tour for an A.net Meeting a few years ago).

That's not the one, I was thinking closer to my neck of the woods  

FlyboyOz

Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:25 am

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 197):
Speaking of long time a.netters -- whatever happened with ScarletHarlot?

She is from Seattle? I think she is still around.

It was finally to meet all of you again. I know some of them don't have time for chatting or discussing about aviation here. That was 10 years ago and they are not college students anymore. They have moved to the next stage already. Some are married, start a new family, look after kids, buy a house, busy at work - now become managers or CEOs or whatever. Probably they want pay rise... lol

I will be around sometimes

[Edited 2013-10-11 19:28:04]
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Jetsgo

Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:31 am

Quoting carmenlu15 (Reply 197):
ScarletHarlot?

She's still around, although much less. I always envy'd her ///AMG in the car threads.